Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Jel Shaker
Apr 19, 2003

Ravel posted:

My apartment flooded and my neighbours were so sweet and helpful, turning on my dehumidifiers and opening/closing windows when I had to temporarily move back into my parents' house. What do you think would be an appropriate gift here? A bottle of wine? My other neighbours suggested a gift card but I feel like that makes the help feel more like a transaction and robs it of some sentiment.

some form of hamper (ie they might not drink)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Barry Foster
Dec 24, 2007

What is going wrong with that one (face is longer than it should be)

goddamnedtwisto posted:

Speaking of, I've finally got round to getting Red Dead Redemption 2 (I absolutely refuse to pay >£30 for a video game and I realise how ridiculous a position that is). It's been exactly the escape from the 21st century and all it's... stuff that I was looking for, sometimes I was just going for long rides on my horse to drink in the scenery.

Then out of nowhere (spoilers because even though it's a two year old game I'm willing to bet quite a lot of people will have picked it up in the Steam Sale over Christmas) I start coughing then suddenly collapse, spitting up blood, in the middle of the street, to get told that I'm gonna die of a highly infectious respiratory illness. RDR2 came out in November 2019 and frankly I'm beginning to think this whole covid thing might have been guerilla marketing that's got completely out of hand..

(Also am I being a bad trans ally because I called my horse My Lovely Horse? It asked me to name the horse and what the gently caress do I know about naming horses? I was 15 before I saw a horse that didn't have a copper on the back of it. Anyway that was the only name that came to mind and now I'm actually quite attached to it.)

Hell yes, what a game

It likewise got me through all the horrible poo poo of November-March 2020-2021, it's the perfect non-21st century hell simulator

Chuka Umana
Apr 30, 2019

by sebmojo
BREAKING NEWS

https://twitter.com/adamfleming/status/1480453849852821505

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

If you ask me about the mole people in the London Underground, I WILL be forced to kill you
Fun Shoe

Mr Cuddles posted:

If you're the guy I used to work with at dircon years ago then yes it is your schtick, and yes it's great and memorable. If this is doxxing or I am just misremembering then please reply quickly so I can edit away my embarassment.

Nah, I've mentioned working there in the past so it's not doxing (you realised it when I went on a long rant about the company that bought them) but it's *extremely* strange you should remember and mention this because I've just found out my nephew now goes to school in a building right next to the old Dircon offices which made me dig out a load of old pics from there, including one where I look basically identical to how I look almost 20 years later apart from grey hair.

Mebh
May 10, 2010

Red Oktober posted:

If this is the one that has a heavy stone on one half and a metal plate on the other (and coloured buttons on each of the little pans) then I've been using the same for about 7 years now and it's absolutely amazing. (Bought in LIDL in France)

Thats the one!!

Red Oktober
May 24, 2006

wiggly eyes!

Mebh posted:

Thats the one!!

Try and use it - it's an absolute trooper considering the price. You can use the trays to do more than just cheese too - eggs fry nicely in them, you can warm gherkins etc. Cook bits of meat and ham on the stone bit too. Man, I want a raclette now.

Total Meatlove
Jan 28, 2007

:japan:
Rangers died, shoujo Hitler cried ;_;

goddamnedtwisto posted:

Speaking of, I've finally got round to getting Red Dead Redemption 2 (I absolutely refuse to pay >£30 for a video game and I realise how ridiculous a position that is).

Inflation is a loving killer

https://twitter.com/OldUKCatalogues/status/1362069359221497859?s=20

£115 for Space Invaders

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

If you ask me about the mole people in the London Underground, I WILL be forced to kill you
Fun Shoe

Frankly my brain broke when Mastertronic upped their prices from £1.99 to £2.99. That's a 50% price rise overnight!

Red Oktober
May 24, 2006

wiggly eyes!

By the Freddo index (taking the price of a freddo and looking at how that has changed) I worked out that even at £70 a game, games are slightly cheaper than they were when I was buying them in the early 2000s. I'm sure I put my working on this forum somewhere.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
Ah the days when you could just make up battery sizes. I think we're getting back there again.

And when ingersoll made things other than air motors.

Red Oktober posted:

eggs fry nicely in them, you can warm gherkins etc. Cook bits of meat and ham on the stone bit too. Man, I want a raclette now.
And I have The Jeffersons theme song in my head now

Private Speech
Mar 30, 2011

I HAVE EVEN MORE WORTHLESS BEANIE BABIES IN MY COLLECTION THAN I HAVE WORTHLESS POSTS IN THE BEANIE BABY THREAD YET I STILL HAVE THE TEMERITY TO CRITICIZE OTHERS' COLLECTIONS

IF YOU SEE ME TALKING ABOUT BEANIE BABIES, PLEASE TELL ME TO

EAT. SHIT.

But also wages rise with inflation too, so it's not as significant when it's not a short sharp shock.

Jel Shaker
Apr 19, 2003

that scene from Spaced where Tyres the clubber just starts raving to the beep beep sounds of the lift and office electronics

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

At this point I'd happily join and support a Corybn led left wing party. Yeah it'll almost certainly go the way of CUKTIG but it's better than the gently caress all we have now.

Total Meatlove
Jan 28, 2007

Private Speech posted:

But also wages rise with inflation too

:lol:

Private Speech
Mar 30, 2011

I HAVE EVEN MORE WORTHLESS BEANIE BABIES IN MY COLLECTION THAN I HAVE WORTHLESS POSTS IN THE BEANIE BABY THREAD YET I STILL HAVE THE TEMERITY TO CRITICIZE OTHERS' COLLECTIONS

EAT. SHIT.

Yes they do, on average more than inflation in fact. Otherwise we'd all be getting £1 an hour and be happy for it.

You might not be getting a raise right now but your next job etc., will, on average, pay more.

Now keep in mind that's RPI rather than rent or house price inflation.

Private Speech fucked around with this message at 11:29 on Jan 10, 2022

Regarde Aduck
Oct 19, 2012
Probation
Can't post for 5 hours!
Grimey Drawer

stev posted:

At this point I'd happily join and support a Corybn led left wing party. Yeah it'll almost certainly go the way of CUKTIG but it's better than the gently caress all we have now.

Yeah i think it’d be an outlet for some if the frustration to just be able to say i have a party to vote for

I guess being in Wales there is plaid but they are… not good. They mean well, i think, but they could use some political tips from the snp.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

Private Speech posted:

Yes they do, on average more than inflation in fact.

You might not be getting a raise right now but your next job etc., will, on average, pay more.

My next job, that's a laugh.

Mr Cuddles
Jan 29, 2010

Do not believe in anything simply because you have heard it. Do not believe in anything simply because it is spoken and rumored by many. Do not believe in anything because it is found written in your religious books. Do not believe in anything merely on the authority of your teachers and elders.

goddamnedtwisto posted:

Nah, I've mentioned working there in the past so it's not doxing (you realised it when I went on a long rant about the company that bought them) but it's *extremely* strange you should remember and mention this because I've just found out my nephew now goes to school in a building right next to the old Dircon offices which made me dig out a load of old pics from there, including one where I look basically identical to how I look almost 20 years later apart from grey hair.

That's me. I haven't been on these forums for a long time and wasn't sure if I remembered you correctly. Glad you're alright.

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018

Guavanaut posted:

Ah the days when you could just make up battery sizes. I think we're getting back there again.

:elongate:

https://www.businessinsider.com/tesla-model-s-battery-lawsuit-capacity-settlement-claims-2021-7

Now you can just adjust battery capacity as a DLC

Private Speech
Mar 30, 2011

EAT. SHIT.

Jedit posted:

My next job, that's a laugh.

Even if you're getting paid min wage, it was only £3.60 for adults over 22 in 1999 when introduced.

e: adjusted for inflation that is £6.65 today.

Private Speech fucked around with this message at 11:38 on Jan 10, 2022

Lungboy
Aug 23, 2002

NEED SQUAT FORM HELP

sinky posted:

Weird how the article mentions court cases related to :argh:Corbyn:argh: and not the 5 people represented by Carter-Ruck because forensic Starmer decided to accuse them of leaking that report.
Big lols if Labour goes bankrupt because they have to pay 5x Carter-Ruck costs.

Does anyone know the status of this case? I haven't seen a mention of it for ages, or for that the matter the ICO investigation into the leaked report.

Lungboy fucked around with this message at 11:41 on Jan 10, 2022

Jaeluni Asjil
Apr 18, 2018

Sorry I thought you were a landlord when I gave you your old avatar!

Ravel posted:

My apartment flooded and my neighbours were so sweet and helpful, turning on my dehumidifiers and opening/closing windows when I had to temporarily move back into my parents' house. What do you think would be an appropriate gift here? A bottle of wine? My other neighbours suggested a gift card but I feel like that makes the help feel more like a transaction and robs it of some sentiment.

Do you know whether they drink alcohol?

Nobody in my family drinks much - 2 of us are completely tee-total - and we are always getting gifts of alcohol which we end up giving away because we just don't drink it so it's not much of a gift really (though obviously we always thank the giver!). My sister gets really annoyed by endless bottles of wine that people bring round!

Maybe some flowers instead?

serious gaylord posted:

You're meant to put them back in your trolley and then bag the stuff up at the shelf after the tills!

Yeah that's what I do in almost any shop - put the stuff back in the basket and move out the way to pack my stuff slowly - unless it's only a couple of things. I'm such a slow packer and get really conscious of holding the queue up if I try to pack at the checkout. I like to organize my shopping properly as I'm inevitably carrying it home in a backpack and maybe additional carrier.

Jaeluni Asjil fucked around with this message at 11:51 on Jan 10, 2022

Private Speech
Mar 30, 2011

EAT. SHIT.

Actually looking it up earnings have grown slightly less than inflation in the recent years, but it's still more or less the same as inflation and as I've mentioned earlier min wage has grown faster.

The problem with seeing inflation as evil is that a lot of redistributive and pro-growth policies increase inflation; unless you want to be a fiscal hawk it's not easy to tame.

learnincurve
May 15, 2014

Smoosh
Giving up on calling my doctors over a double ear infection after all day Friday and this morning, and calling 111 instead to be told that I would get a callback from the same workshy CUNTS at the surgery who won’t answer their phones, which is a new level of “because of coronavirus” gatekeeping bollocks I did not need.

fuctifino
Jun 11, 2001

https://twitter.com/AP_Europe/status/1480492768342511617

:toot:

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018

"On the throne" doesn't necessarily imply also being alive, I suppose

E: posted while I'm on the throne

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018
Excited to eat that new dessert tho

Red Oktober
May 24, 2006

wiggly eyes!

Failed Imagineer posted:

"On the throne" doesn't necessarily imply also being alive, I suppose

E: posted while I'm on the throne

learnincurve
May 15, 2014

Smoosh
The desert thing will absolutely own when a million lady gammons and their dull variations on a “Elizabeth sponge” get beaten by a British Asian mother of 6 who invents and wins with something simple yet spectacular.

Gort
Aug 18, 2003

Good day what ho cup of tea
Maybe they're just promising vastly expensive, lavish ceremonies, safe in the knowledge she'll be dust by June

stev posted:

Likewise. It's pretty depressing looking at the parties in the UK and realising none of them represent me. I guess Greens somewhat, but there's a lot of anti-nuclear and pro-homeopathy poo poo in there which is hard to choke down.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
Lemon Nonce
Pea d'Orphile
Many Of The Royals Have Been Suspected Of Involvement In The Trafficking And Abuse Of Minors Meringue

Total Meatlove
Jan 28, 2007

Tiramasu but the sponge is soaked in chai

Jel Shaker
Apr 19, 2003

coronation chicken sponge cake

NotJustANumber99
Feb 15, 2012

somehow that last av was even worse than your posting
im going to win the competition with my platinum encrusted pudding with all the platinum i'm going to scrape up off the roads

Total Meatlove
Jan 28, 2007

NotJustANumber99 posted:

im going to win the competition with my platinum encrusted pudding with all the platinum i'm going to scrape up off the roads

Leave it in your boot and eventually it'll all get smelted again as well.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Do they skim the platinum out when they recycle the tarmac or are the roads just getting steadily more platinumized?

TACD
Oct 27, 2000

learnincurve posted:

Giving up on calling my doctors over a double ear infection after all day Friday and this morning, and calling 111 instead to be told that I would get a callback from the same workshy CUNTS at the surgery who won’t answer their phones, which is a new level of “because of coronavirus” gatekeeping bollocks I did not need.
Yea I don’t know how it is for anybody else but my GP’s online access portal (which I realise is a rare luxury in itself) hasn’t had any availability even for phone appointments for several months now – I haven’t tried calling as my thing isn’t that urgent but I assume if I did they’d just tell me the same thing.

My partner is long overdue for bloodwork for a thyroid issue which is more urgent but similarly can’t get through to her surgery at all.

As far as I can tell there is effectively no access whatsoever to non-emergency healthcare at the moment and for the foreseeable future?

Barry Foster
Dec 24, 2007

What is going wrong with that one (face is longer than it should be)

TACD posted:

Yea I don’t know how it is for anybody else but my GP’s online access portal (which I realise is a rare luxury in itself) hasn’t had any availability even for phone appointments for several months now – I haven’t tried calling as my thing isn’t that urgent but I assume if I did they’d just tell me the same thing.

My partner is long overdue for bloodwork for a thyroid issue which is more urgent but similarly can’t get through to her surgery at all.

As far as I can tell there is effectively no access whatsoever to non-emergency healthcare at the moment and for the foreseeable future?

There may also be no access to emergency healthcare either, depending on where you are in the country, at least for the next few weeks.

Crack
Apr 10, 2009
Guess it depends where you live, I called this morning and got an in person appt on thursday (didn't say it was urgent). I do live in the middle of nowhere though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

I have managed to get one a week from now and have been able to get urgent treatment on the same day twice in the last couple of weeks, so that's OK I guess, but I am not hopeful about how long/if I will be able to be referred for investigative work at the hospital which I think I will need.