Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

StupidSexyMothman
Aug 9, 2010

I'm surprised there wasn't an R3 NGU or a blood magic, that it just ends when hacks & wishes are done.

also i wish there was because i'm only at amalgamate v3 and i'm done with hacks and wishes

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sivart13
May 18, 2003
I have neglected to come up with a clever title
I got pretty into Bitburner and there's a lot I like about it but the grind to get three levels of the Singularity BitNode is nasty.

You need it if you want to automate some of the most annoying stuff (grinding faction rep, buying augmentations in an efficient order) but the BitNode itself doesn't provide any interesting new gameplay, and the first level or two are useless so you gotta do it three times. Just a long slog of playing the same slow game so that you might optimize some of the slow parts in the future.

I probably should just stop playing but I wrote all this dumb JavaScript and now feel like I should keep slogging through to make some use out of it.

edit: I now realize that you can use the full singularity API while *in* the Singularity BitNode, so I could've been spending this time writing new faction/crime/augs/whatever scripts. Still annoying that I'll have to go in and beat it two more times though.

Sivart13 fucked around with this message at 11:20 on Jan 9, 2022

Agent355
Jul 26, 2011

Idle Skilling: is there a way to speed up spelunking treasure gain once you're getting the biggest bags?

There are a few cards that give more treasure per bag and some bonuses from learning but I'm still only getting like 250 tokens per spelunk and some of these construction projects want like 100k of them. That'd be literally an hour of sitting and doing nothing but clicking on spelunk dudes and that's not even the highest level construction project out here.

Maybe if I could at least send everybody down to spelunk an dcome back up with a single button push, but no, I have to do everybody individually for some reason.

Hughlander
May 11, 2005

Sivart13 posted:

I got pretty into Bitburner and there's a lot I like about it but the grind to get three levels of the Singularity BitNode is nasty.

You need it if you want to automate some of the most annoying stuff (grinding faction rep, buying augmentations in an efficient order) but the BitNode itself doesn't provide any interesting new gameplay, and the first level or two are useless so you gotta do it three times. Just a long slog of playing the same slow game so that you might optimize some of the slow parts in the future.

I probably should just stop playing but I wrote all this dumb JavaScript and now feel like I should keep slogging through to make some use out of it.

edit: I now realize that you can use the full singularity API while *in* the Singularity BitNode, so I could've been spending this time writing new faction/crime/augs/whatever scripts. Still annoying that I'll have to go in and beat it two more times though.

Few things there. They also patched it last week that you get the full singularity API in one source file. But there’s a huge memory penalty. So maybe don’t need to do all of them. I just started it yesterday for the first time after doing 1.3 2.3 and 5.1?(ai to unlock intelligence). So far doing a homocide script to unlock gangs then a gang ascension script seems like the winner. But my gang script sucks atm.

Sivart13
May 18, 2003

Hughlander posted:

They also patched it last week that you get the full singularity API in one source file. But there’s a huge memory penalty. So maybe don’t need to do all of them. I just started it yesterday for the first time after doing 1.3 2.3 and 5.1?(ai to unlock intelligence). So far doing a homocide script to unlock gangs then a gang ascension script seems like the winner. But my gang script sucks atm.
That's great to hear. I've done just 1.2, 5.1 and 4.1 so far but just started 4.2. Looks like the penalty is 16x for SF4.1 and 4x for SF4.2 so maybe I can just be done after two rounds.

Hughlander
May 11, 2005

Sivart13 posted:

That's great to hear. I've done just 1.2, 5.1 and 4.1 so far but just started 4.2. Looks like the penalty is 16x for SF4.1 and 4x for SF4.2 so maybe I can just be done after two rounds.

Well 4.1 is faster than 1.2 for me. But that's 100% because I have 2.3 done. It's basically an hour or two to get enough combat stats to get homicide to like 90% (Just train the 4 combat stats) 15 hours of idle for a script to get enough karma to start a gang, then it's been less than 12 hours since and I'm at the infinite money part, just getting the rep to buy the red pill 'cuz it's not available from your gang outside of bn2 apparently. I'll definitely do 4.2 and 4.3 next.

inspire
Nov 24, 2004
Eyyy!
Just finished NGU. 800 something days played. Truly the game that got me into the idle genre. Thanks, 4g.

Ineptitude
Mar 2, 2010

Heed my words and become a master of the Heart (of Thorns).

inspire posted:

Just finished NGU. 800 something days played. Truly the game that got me into the idle genre. Thanks, 4g.

Indeed, NGU was great.

A shame his next game wasn't as well received and it seems he is a bit disillusioned with making games now?

My coding experience is limited to conditional formatting in excel so i have no idea what kind of feedback developers get but isn't negative feedback pretty much par for the course?

Lib and let die
Aug 26, 2004

Ineptitude posted:

Indeed, NGU was great.

A shame his next game wasn't as well received and it seems he is a bit disillusioned with making games now?

My coding experience is limited to conditional formatting in excel so i have no idea what kind of feedback developers get but isn't negative feedback pretty much par for the course?

A lot of us were expecting a different kind of game. Industries seems more like a take on Satisfactory than a sequel to Idle.

Agent355
Jul 26, 2011

Also I'm not sure it was just receiving negative feedback that made him disillusioned? I sounded like he was struggling even before the new game wasn't particularly well received.

Falcon2001
Oct 10, 2004

Eat your hamburgers, Apollo.
Pillbug
Yeah I also don't know if Idle Industries was like slammed or anything, it just didn't particularly click.

SynthesisAlpha
Jun 19, 2007
Cyber-Monocle sporting Space Billionaire
A lot of the issue is with expectations. On the surface it looks like it's going to be a factorio or satisfactory type game, but those games are about continually building on your existing infrastructure. NGU I is more about constantly rebalancing production or resetting the entire thing to focus on a specific item.

The other big complaint is that several of the mechanics were built to scale with your production. It's a big feelbad when you are making 10 times as much stuff but a mission still takes the same amount of time and gives the same (or marginally better) reward.

It wasn't bad but it follows on the heels of NGU and that's going to be hard for any game.

Lib and let die
Aug 26, 2004

I hope it doesn't discourage 4g from trying again. I haven't finished NGU yet (I can't even manage to bumble my way into Hard, never mind Sadistic) but the chunk of time I've sunk into it was rewarding enough that I'd play another iteration of it.

Don't let a little sophomore slump get you down, if you're reading this!

Falcon2001
Oct 10, 2004

Pillbug
Yeah 4G if you read this, just know that like, it's okay that it wasn't received well, and I still think it was pretty neat!

Edit: honestly I might make my own pygame-driven take on ReactorIdle / FactoryIdle similar to it, I just don't have the amount of 'name brand' that 4G did.

pixaal
Jan 8, 2004

All ice cream is now for all beings, no matter how many legs.

Building a factory and an idle game seem like a good combo, they haven't been done well yet.

A lot of this stems from you are just slowing down a factory game a ton and drip feeding it. The boring part is waiting for stuff to finish and your making it longer. Most idle games work well because they take something like a grindy RPG and automate the grind.

I think you'd want a real time factory game that you have limited building land and a bunch of "blue print" land. You'd construct in your land however you want then blue print it and have robots build it. Your robots would take time and your focus would be around upgrading the robots but also your manual build plot of land so you can adjust part income based on current needs and play it straight like a normal factory builder.

I would not get fancy, the other games that are successful start getting very tedious at the end and mostly revolve around being a puzzle game. Reactor idle / factory idle that were on Kong were good and took like a week.

I didn't even download NGU Industries because as the above highlights I don' t think factory + idle hits anything I want. Happy for someone to make the good actual blend but I'll wait for someone to say it exists first.

closest to an "idle factory" that works is X3 (the space game it's just call X3 that's not short for anything). Spend several hours moving asteroids to make a good base to build your space factory then setup trade routes on sectors then let your computer run while you sleep so you can profit. Not intended to be an idle game but I think that building style might be usable like focusing heavily on NPCs needing supplies in areas and long space flights for transport with varying costs depending on transport method might also be a path to a good one, you're turning it more into a logistics puzzle.

pixaal fucked around with this message at 18:59 on Jan 10, 2022

Orvin
Sep 9, 2006

I think that I am in the minority that really liked NGU industries, enough that I stuck with it to unlock everything I could (or I will soonish). It really scratched a weird itch to have a game where I could check it once or twice a day, and have to rebalance everything after I unlocked some upgrades. I am sure it might have been faster or more efficient to just tear down everything and start over, but the trial and error swapping of production was fun for me.

I can totally see why a lot of people wouldn’t like it though. That need to make all production positive green can lead to a slower game, or micromanaging hell. I was fine with a slower game.

Manyorcas
Jun 16, 2007

The person who arrives last is fined, regardless of whether that person's late or not.
4g is definitely working on another project right now so he hasn't left game development.

As far as I know (not a game developer), it's not uncommon for a game to reach an early alpha, when the developers realize "wait this whole game concept doesn't work at all", and scrap it and start over.

With early access and such, where developers can publicly get feedback from players in a very early version of the game, I think sometimes we now see a game before the developer realizes putting more effort into the current build isn't going to fix things and it's time to scrap it or go back to the drawing board. I think this is sort of what happened with NGU-I.

I enjoyed what was there in NGU-I, but it was also clear as I reached the end of content that more content would make the tedium of changing item production worse, and the QoL fixes weren't doing enough to fix it.

Jhet
Jun 3, 2013

Orvin posted:

I think that I am in the minority that really liked NGU industries, enough that I stuck with it to unlock everything I could (or I will soonish). It really scratched a weird itch to have a game where I could check it once or twice a day, and have to rebalance everything after I unlocked some upgrades. I am sure it might have been faster or more efficient to just tear down everything and start over, but the trial and error swapping of production was fun for me.

I can totally see why a lot of people wouldn’t like it though. That need to make all production positive green can lead to a slower game, or micromanaging hell. I was fine with a slower game.

I had that need to make all positive production. It doesn't make sense for me to run it in the red because it's an industry game, so I'm the sort of person who wants it to always go up. It doesn't have to go up by a lot, but it definitely shouldn't go down unless I'm spending it to make something better. But then I discovered that my better production didn't really matter because he did a good job balancing numbers in a way where it should take about X time to do something. So having better numbers didn't make me feel any better about waiting for the next bill to complete, or the next upgrade to finish.

There were plenty of good concepts executed well in NGU-I too, but it didn't make that part of my brain happy like NGU does (even though these last challenges don't really give a reward, I still want the border to be red). I liked being able to save the maps, have different maps working together, there were layers to unpack too. Pretty sure 4g said ITT there's going to be something next after taking a well deserved break, so when it comes out I'll be there.

pixaal
Jan 8, 2004

All ice cream is now for all beings, no matter how many legs.

NGU-I still could be a good niche game that hasn't found a target audience. If they aren't finding it and you aren't having fun making it for yourself it is time to shelve the project. Nothing says it can't be found later in the current beta state by the niche group and resume coding.

New Yorp New Yorp
Jul 18, 2003

Only in Kenya.
Pillbug

Orvin posted:

The main problem was that buying upgrades made it too fiddly. You buy an X upgrade, which means that Y consumes more of Z, Q, R, which knocks everything out of whack and requires a complete, ground-up rebuild of your production layout. Then the amplifiers came into play with one exact, specific optimal layout per map.

Deki
May 12, 2008

It's Hammer Time!
I liked NGUI but took a break from it when 3G was talking about maybe dropping it and I never had the itch to go back. My biggest gripe was that the different mechanics you unlocked didn't really mesh too well with the core loop in an interesting way.

I think a true factory game would be a legitimately fun idle concept

WTFBEES
Apr 21, 2005

butt

Industries just wasn't my thing, but I'll happily throw more money at 4G for Number Go Up More. Nothing else quite scratches that itch or has become such an ever-present part of my daily life like NGU did.

xiw
Sep 25, 2011

i wake up at night
night action madness nightmares
maybe i am scum

Cpig Haiku contest 2020 winner
I spent a lot of time on https://factoryidle.com/ when it showed up but it's a bit slow for me now.

Falcon2001
Oct 10, 2004

Pillbug
Honestly my big idea for a factory / reactor idle style game is to make it more about shorter runs that you 'prestige' from rather than huge long forever runs.

I like the idea of combining roguelike 'randomness' factors into it, ala Shark Game (the updated one at least). Get some randomness so you're not doing the exact same thing every run, and keep the overall lifespan of a given map in the 'days' range rather than weeks or months.

goferchan
Feb 8, 2004

It's 2006. I am taking 276 yeti furs from the goodies hoard.
When is the good point to switch over to doing Bioseed prestiges in Evolve Idle? These are the perks I'm working with right now, I'm at the 250 plasmid cap. Probably going to grab the craftsman upgrade after my current run, upgrades start getting pretty expensive after that though -- do I want to start doing challenge runs to build up mastery a little first? Space stuff seems a little intimidating but maybe it's not as bad as I'm making it out to be.

Rynoto
Apr 27, 2009
It doesn't help that I'm fat as fuck, so my face shouldn't be shown off in the first place.

goferchan posted:

When is the good point to switch over to doing Bioseed prestiges in Evolve Idle? These are the perks I'm working with right now, I'm at the 250 plasmid cap. Probably going to grab the craftsman upgrade after my current run, upgrades start getting pretty expensive after that though -- do I want to start doing challenge runs to build up mastery a little first? Space stuff seems a little intimidating but maybe it's not as bad as I'm making it out to be.

Swapping to 3* challenges would be good if you're picking up craftsman as mastery will become your primary source of multipliers. Once you're back at the cap after craftsman then Bioseed should be well within reach as its reset currency will increase the softcap on plasmids.

After a few Bioseeds you'll want to then leave the universe asap for Heavy both for mastery and general progression.

Rynoto fucked around with this message at 03:10 on Jan 11, 2022

uPen
Jan 25, 2010

Zu Rodina!
Never dropped a game faster than Bitburner than when I finished the tutorial and it went "We know this looked like a cute Exapunks style 'coding' game but actually you can just use javascript."

Phssthpok
Nov 7, 2004

fingers like strings of walnuts

uPen posted:

Never dropped a game faster than Bitburner than when I finished the tutorial and it went "We know this looked like a cute Exapunks style 'coding' game but actually you can just use javascript."

I played through Bitburner with both its custom "netscript" language and with javascript, and the most fun I had was figuring out jailbreak bugs in netscript.

Falcon2001
Oct 10, 2004

Pillbug

Phssthpok posted:

I played through Bitburner with both its custom "netscript" language and with javascript, and the most fun I had was figuring out jailbreak bugs in netscript.

FWIW: Netscript was just basically an older version of javascript.

Sivart13
May 18, 2003

uPen posted:

I love Zachtronics and have the special edition of Exapunks with all the printed zines and whatnot

but in the last month I've spent way more time on Bitburner than I ever did with Exapunks because as an incremental even if I do a pretty bad job with the scripting the numbers are still gonna go up at least a little bit

If I play a Zachtronics game and thrash on a puzzle for an hour without solving it, I may as well have just played another game because I'm probably no closer than when I started. Very on/off win condition.

which is to say, I should probably finish Exapunks someday instead, but so it goes

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

This does not make sense when, again, aggregate indicia also indicate improvements. The belief that things are worse is false. It remains false.
I'm grinding away at my longstanding game of cookie clicker, and the stock market is absolutely stymying me. I know to buy low and sell high, and I have all the upgrades and 50 brokers. It still takes for ever to get a profit. I'm at 1% progress toward the shadow achievement after months. What am I missing to speed things up?

Also, related: can I cleanly transfer my online save to the steam game?

reignofevil
Nov 7, 2008

Discendo Vox posted:

I'm grinding away at my longstanding game of cookie clicker, and the stock market is absolutely stymying me. I know to buy low and sell high, and I have all the upgrades and 50 brokers. It still takes for ever to get a profit. I'm at 1% progress toward the shadow achievement after months. What am I missing to speed things up?

Also, related: can I cleanly transfer my online save to the steam game?

Okay first off get your banks up to level ten, you're gonna need to for the achievement anyway so might as well start on it now. Algorithmically this isn't huge since it's only gonna raise your resting stock prices by about ten dollars but it's something.

My next suggestion is don't buy ANYTHING until it's at the absolute rock bottom. Each buy you make decreases your profits by that much and so by subtracting less you'll move forward faster. Here are my recommendations assuming for level ten banks*:

CRL: Buy this in the low 4 dollar range. Usually it will hit 12-15 dollars and then turn right back around to 4 but personally I wait until it's at 25 or so to sell.

CHC: Buy at 4 dollars. For this and the 4 dollar recommendations below feel free to buy at like 4.90 maybe even as high as 6.50$ if you're feeling crazy. Sell at 40.

BTR: Buy at 4 sell at 50.

SUG: Buy at 4 sell at 50-60.

NUT: Buy at 4 sell at 60-70.

SLT: Buy at 4 sell at 70-90.

VNL: Buy at 4 sell at 90-100. I don't recommend it but for this and below you'll do alright buying this as high as 12$, if you're feeling lazy.

EGG: Buy at 4 sell at 100-110. Do not settle for less than 100.

CNM: Buy at 4 sell at 100-110. Treat this as interchangeable with eggs.

CRM: Buy at 4 sell at 110. This is my personal spot where I might buy as high as 20 which will ultimately be about a five times return on investment. Still, if it's down in the twenties it's very reliable that it's going to go down to the 4 dollar range and lay flat there for a bit so it really depends on how lazy you want to be with it.

JAM: Buy this at 4 if you can but I find twenty is a more reliable spot. Sell at 110.

WCH: Buy at 20 (if you can, usually I'll get this at 40) sell at 120.

HNY: Buy at 40 sell at 130 or above.

CKI: Buy in 50's sell at 150.

RCP: Buy in 50's and sell at 160.

SBD: Buy between 50 and 70 and sell at 170-180.

PBL (Beta content only at this time) I've seen this get down to the 55 range so that would be optimal, I personally buy it at like 80. Sell at 190 or above.

I got the shadow achievement after about three months (I was not playing every day and took fairly large breaks) and did not have access to the beta building when I did so. Upgrading your cursors to level 12 so you can unlock the palace of greed is a must. I usually have seventy or more brokers, paid for with the garden minigame stacking up Elder Frenzies with various golden cookie bonuses (you want a frenzy or better) and harvesting entire fields of bakeberries.

*If you don't have level ten banks I'm assuming you're at level 1 banks, subtract 9 from all listed sellpoints.

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

This does not make sense when, again, aggregate indicia also indicate improvements. The belief that things are worse is false. It remains false.

I'm at level 10 everything but cursors (which are level 12), I've got the palace of greed, 75 brokers, and it's still a snail's pace. I think it's just that I'm not idling enough, and I'm buying too high - I just hate the "watch for pot to boil" of it all. I'll rework my chart based on these recs.

Discendo Vox fucked around with this message at 00:53 on Jan 17, 2022

goferchan
Feb 8, 2004

I'm slowly pushing towards a Bioseed reset in Evolve Idle, might have attempted it a little early but I had a couple long stretches of leading the game idle and I'm so close now I want to go for it -- currently about to build the last space colony that will let me bust open the Elerium cap. Looking at the wiki the only thing I'm worried about is the knowledge requirement to research the Genesis Ship; if I switch to Technocracy it'll still cost about 391k and my max is about 310k now. What's my best way to raise the cap at this point in the game? Exotic Material Labs + Colonists seems like it scales well eventually but I'm not sure if it's the most cost effective way right now. Should I just focus on earth resources and grinding out some more of those science buildings? Or is there something I missed looking at the tech tree pre-Genesis Ship that will help me get there?

edit: actually yeah those Exotic Material Labs do scale up pretty quickly, I realized I had a couple of them built but inactive and that gave me another easy 12k. I think between those and observatories I can make the push overnight!

goferchan fucked around with this message at 06:33 on Jan 17, 2022

Rynoto
Apr 27, 2009
It doesn't help that I'm fat as fuck, so my face shouldn't be shown off in the first place.

goferchan posted:

edit: actually yeah those Exotic Material Labs do scale up pretty quickly, I realized I had a couple of them built but inactive and that gave me another easy 12k. I think between those and observatories I can make the push overnight!

Don't forget the satellites and supercollider arpa projects. They're good value early on. Your next few bioseeds will increase in speed quite drastically as your plasmid softcap increases so well worth the push.

goferchan
Feb 8, 2004

Rynoto posted:

Don't forget the satellites and supercollider arpa projects. They're good value early on. Your next few bioseeds will increase in speed quite drastically as your plasmid softcap increases so well worth the push.

Yeah I'll probably just chill with MADs for a little while when I get to the new planet and keep building mastery but it was fun to push through and see what it's like. I'll have some pretty sweet upgrades to buy after this too

ErIog
Jul 11, 2001

:nsacloud:
Thank you to everyone who complained about BitBurner. I'm enjoying it quite a lot.

I know the programming stuff in it is divisive, but I can get behind a game that allows you to automate the busywork.

Deformed Church
May 12, 2012

5'5", IQ 81

In NGU, is there just a big old grinding cliff after Walderp that I have to fight through or is there something specific I should start focusing on at that point? I feel like I'm pushing the limits of what the mechanics I had up to this point can handle in a reasonable amount of time, and the things that have opened up to me look like incredibly slow burns - his gear is dropping at maybe a couple of pieces per day and there's eight items to max, with no clear way to up my drop rate significantly, and while I see the potential in MacGuffins I am a very long way from having the relevant ones well levelled, or any extra slots. Starting to think the play here is just set it up to idle and basically only look at it once a week, which from reading other people's experiences feels like something that's mostly in the endgame.

Voxx
Jul 28, 2009

I'll give 'em a hold
and a break to breathe
And if they can't play nice
I won't play with 'em at all

Deformed Church posted:

In NGU, is there just a big old grinding cliff after Walderp that I have to fight through or is there something specific I should start focusing on at that point? I feel like I'm pushing the limits of what the mechanics I had up to this point can handle in a reasonable amount of time, and the things that have opened up to me look like incredibly slow burns - his gear is dropping at maybe a couple of pieces per day and there's eight items to max, with no clear way to up my drop rate significantly, and while I see the potential in MacGuffins I am a very long way from having the relevant ones well levelled, or any extra slots. Starting to think the play here is just set it up to idle and basically only look at it once a week, which from reading other people's experiences feels like something that's mostly in the endgame.

i'm around just past this point. after manual walderp kills become possible you can catchup on a lot of challenges if you haven't been doing them. you want titan respawn reduced especially to get exp going (and speed up rate of walderp kills). once you are done you can do a 24h to climb back up.

you should be able to reliably get solid return on iron pill which combined with the adventure fruit, energy ngu, and digger you can reach auto kills in around a week without much fuss. faster depending on how far ngus are or built your perks are. I also did a long run to keep building advanced training and just sat there getting auto kills.

you'll see a pretty big power spike soon

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

goferchan
Feb 8, 2004

Rynoto posted:

Didn't know I actually had to build the ship after researching and building a space dock lol, that added like a day to my run. The Neutronium wall is tough because the only 2 ways to increase gathering rate seem to be spending Neutronium or purchasing Mining Outposts which currently far exceed my $ cap. I guess I could have made things easier on myself by unifying but I wanted to grab the achievement for Bioseeding without it and I'm so close at this point anyways. I also don't have the Advanced Religion upgrade which apparently helps a lot in the space stage of the game?