Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: Stereotype)

toggle
Nov 7, 2005

petit choux posted:

Sorry if I've been to angry and depressed, have to check out of CSPAM for a bit. After all my doomposting last night I woke up feeling like I have an ulcer, just full of hate and bitterness. And spending too much time doomscrolling while my personal life falls to pieces. Not offing myself yet, just need to chill for a bit. Thanks everybody for being here. Cheers and see you later.

should hang out in the uap/ufo/bird thread for a bit. some nice folks and funny discussions

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FUCK COREY PERRY
Apr 19, 2008

Paradoxish posted:

My plan is to live somewhere as comfortable and affordable as possible until something kills me.

ErrorInvalidUser
Aug 23, 2021

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
how are you able to survive as a target manager in this inflationary environment?

Shifty Nipples
Apr 8, 2007

Homeless Friend posted:

being alive owns.

Rah!
Feb 21, 2006

:(

Rah!
Feb 21, 2006

After we destroy ourselves and 99.99% of all life on earth, and the climate becomes some Venus-style poo poo for a few million (hundreds of millions?) years, then maybe the climate will finally change back to something conducive to life other than some weird microbes in a methane lake. But even if that happens, I think the sun's expansion will make the earth uninhabitable before intelligent life ever evolves again.

:sad:

Rah! has issued a correction as of 05:42 on Jan 10, 2022

Lpzie
Nov 20, 2006

i hope we find out somehow that venus used to be like earth right before we bite it. it'll be very very funny. cosmic humour

Rah!
Feb 21, 2006

Lpzie posted:

i hope we find out somehow that venus used to be like earth right before we bite it. it'll be very very funny. cosmic humour

they already think it's possible that it was habitable and had oceans for up to 2 billion years, before the runaway greenhouse effect hosed it up lol

ErrorInvalidUser
Aug 23, 2021

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Lpzie posted:

cosmic humour

cosmic humour is real and its some real basic type poo poo

Leroy Diplowski
Aug 25, 2005

The Candyman Can :science:

Visit My Candy Shop

And SA Mart Thread

Lpzie posted:

The idea that there was a sentient civilization on Venus who were destroyed by a runaway greenhouse effect just as they achieved rudimentary spaceflight and used primitive rockets to seed earth with archaea as a last ditch desperation to keep life in the solar system would be a pretty sick sci fi story.

I wonder how plausible it is.

E: and then weave dual narratives where everything has gone to poo poo on earth and it's 2300 and a rogue group is trying to send bacteria laden rockets to Mars. I'd read that poo poo so hard.

Leroy Diplowski has issued a correction as of 05:58 on Jan 10, 2022

ErrorInvalidUser
Aug 23, 2021

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Leroy Diplowski posted:

The idea that there was a sentient civilization on Venus who were destroyed by a runaway greenhouse effect just as they achieved rudimentary spaceflight and used primitive rockets to seed earth with archaea as a last ditch desperation to keep life in the solar system would be a pretty sick sci fi story.

talk about boring

ErrorInvalidUser
Aug 23, 2021

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Leroy Diplowski posted:

E: and then weave dual narratives where everything has gone to poo poo on earth and it's 2300 and a rogue group is trying to send bacteria laden rockets to Mars. I'd read that poo poo so hard.

Shima Honnou
Dec 1, 2010

The Once And Future King Of Dicetroit

College Slice
send all the bacteria to mars you want they wont reignite the planets core lol

Rectal Death Adept
Jun 20, 2018

by Fluffdaddy
my james bond villain plan is to re-create the impact that may have killed Mar's core by smashing the moon into it

Leroy Diplowski
Aug 25, 2005

Visit My Candy Shop

And SA Mart Thread

Shima Honnou posted:

Is a magnetosphere a critical ingredient for life? I don't know either but it's fun to have a little imagination now and then.

Ihmemies
Oct 6, 2012

Leroy Diplowski posted:

Is a magnetosphere a critical ingredient for life? I don't know either but it's fun to have a little imagination now and then.

Without magnetosphere solar winds would sweep off the developing atmosphere to space. So yes. Magnetosphere allows sea life to create an atmosphere and then life evolve from sea to land.

Leroy Diplowski
Aug 25, 2005

Visit My Candy Shop

And SA Mart Thread

Ihmemies posted:

Without magnetosphere solar winds would sweep off the developing atmosphere to space. So yes. Magnetosphere allows sea life to create an atmosphere and then life evolve from sea to land.

There are extremaphiles on earth who don't really give a poo poo if there is an atmosphere or not. And Mars does still have a thin one.

Tho does kind of undermine my premise because there could still be extremaphiles on Venus in the soil or... Atmosphere... Venting phosgene... Ummm brb... *Heads over to UFO thread*

ErrorInvalidUser
Aug 23, 2021

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
oh no koko is getting restless

Notorious R.I.M.
Jan 27, 2004

up to my ass in alligators

Leroy Diplowski posted:

I wonder how plausible it is.

Nature's spaceship is asteroid impact ejecta. Lithopanspermia.

Cup Runneth Over
Aug 8, 2009

She said life's
Too short to worry
Life's too long to wait
It's too short
Not to love everybody
Life's too long to hate

ErrorInvalidUser posted:

two years from now: clouds rotating around an area of low pressure

low pressure, friends

Just a Moron
Nov 11, 2021

Shima Honnou posted:

This is what nuclear bombs were invented for

r u ready to WALK
Sep 29, 2001

The Wisest Moron posted:

This is what nuclear bombs were invented for

Humanity's crowning achievement will be breaking of a large chunk of Mars and making it crash into Earth

Shima Honnou
Dec 1, 2010

College Slice

r u ready to WALK posted:

Humanity's crowning achievement will be breaking of a large chunk of Mars and making it crash into Earth

finally

Alobar
Jun 21, 2011

Are you proud of me?

Are you proud of what I do?

I'll try to be a better man than the one that you knew.
doooooooooooooooooomed

toggle
Nov 7, 2005

its true

Mola Yam
Jun 18, 2004

Kali Ma Shakti de!

Alobar posted:

doooooooooooooooooomed

hearing this a lot lately

Alobar
Jun 21, 2011

Are you proud of me?

Are you proud of what I do?

I'll try to be a better man than the one that you knew.
it isn't true, don't believe me

we can't possibly be completely hosed, can we?

is that even possible? for us to be. completely. hosed?

i guess we're gonna find out

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RTVPcr4YgJA

endlessmonotony
Nov 4, 2009

by Fritz the Horse
Humanity will have survivors, this will be a collapse of resources. Once the number of survivors is below the amount of renewing slime supply, things will stabilize. So at current pace, some 99% of humanity will starve.

We, as goons, are utterly hosed.

Shima Honnou
Dec 1, 2010

College Slice
if its just starvation we will be fine as our fat reserves shall keep us alive far longer than the skinny

r u ready to WALK
Sep 29, 2001

nah goons are going to be among the first killed by the hungry horde because of our delicious, well marbled meat
and we don't run very fast

blatman
May 10, 2009

14 inc dont mez

you just have to outrun the slowest goon

this gets harder as the slowest goons get taken out of the goon pool

Fame Douglas
Nov 20, 2013

by Fluffdaddy

r u ready to WALK posted:

nah goons are going to be among the first killed by the hungry horde because of our delicious, well marbled meat
and we don't run very fast

Well marbled? More like a tough piece with a good chunk of fat.

Marenghi
Oct 16, 2008

Don't trust the liberals,
they will betray you

Shima Honnou posted:

if its just starvation we will be fine as our fat reserves shall keep us alive far longer than the skinny

I looked this up recently to see if maintaining a fat reserve was better for surviving.

Turns out you'll starve just as fast unless ou can get vitamin B and protein, without vitamin B your body can't use your fat reserves, and without protein it will consume your muscle tissue.

Lpzie
Nov 20, 2006

there trillions of cans of food everywhere. you'll be fine...

Perry Mason Jar
Feb 24, 2006

"Della? Take a lid"
https://twitter.com/disclosetv/status/1480249400622469125?s=20

Fame Douglas
Nov 20, 2013

by Fluffdaddy
I don't think a 3 minute localized power outage that only affected a few districts counts as a "blackout"

Stop posting terrible right-wing garbage sources.

Perry Mason Jar
Feb 24, 2006

"Della? Take a lid"
Thread continues after first post. Why are you so angry? Lol

T-Paine
Dec 12, 2007

Sitting in the Costco food court unmasked, Bible in hand, reading my favorite Psalms to my five children: Abel, Bethany, Carlos, Carlos, and Carlos.
https://www.cnn.com/2022/01/10/politics/us-fossil-fuel-emissions-coal-increased-2021-climate/index.html

quote:

In a troublesome sign for President Joe Biden's climate goals, US greenhouse emissions rebounded from a pandemic slump faster in 2021 than the overall economy, according to a preliminary analysis by the nonpartisan Rhodium Group.

Energy analysts had expected to see a rebound of planet-warming emissions in 2021. But even so, the growth outpaced expectations, according to Kate Larsen, a partner at Rhodium Group and a co-author of the report.

"Emissions grew even faster than the economic recovery and that was largely the rebound in coal generation," Larsen told CNN, noting that "there weren't any significant policies to make economic growth less carbon-intensive."

Preliminary 2021 data from Rhodium estimates economy-wide greenhouse gas emissions increased 6.2% compared to 2020 -- which saw a steep drop in emissions due to the Covid-19 economic shutdown. Still, 2021 emissions remained 5% below 2019 levels.

Coal use was a big driver of the rebound in emissions, according to the Rhodium report. Coal burned for electricity spiked 17% in 2021, the first year since 2014 that coal generation in the US increased instead of decreasing. Larsen said the switch back to coal was largely due to increasing natural gas prices; natural gas generation dropped 3% in 2021 as prices rose.

Larsen said that "because of a lack of federal rules and standards," changes in emissions "are largely at the whim of energy market dynamics."

Cabbages and VHS
Aug 25, 2004

Listen, I've been around a bit, you know, and I thought I'd seen some creepy things go on in the movie business, but I really have to say this is the most disgusting thing that's ever happened to me.

Homeless Friend posted:

I can do wheel on tracks but goddamn im hopeless on dirt oversteering. the kb input really doesn't transfer over since it's 100% input vs gradual on wheel. asphalt is def easier to set good times once you get in the groove tho.

I really hope we get a good VR enabled forza before Desert of Skulls time, tbqh

maybe even with a Desert of Skulls mod level where you trade bullets for gas. You do not have a gun.

Have you messed with the feedback settings? Maybe you need to adjust stuff for better dirt control. Granted it's hard to control, but compared to ACC or DiRT Rally it's real easy!!

Cabbages and VHS has issued a correction as of 15:29 on Jan 10, 2022

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Microplastics
Jul 6, 2007

:discourse:
It's what's for dinner.
The resent discussion got me curious as to what this thread collectively thinks about the future, as there's quite a range of doomerism on display. So I thought I'd whip up a quick survey if you wanna contribute: HOW DOOMER ARE YOU. I'll share the aggregate results after a few days.