Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Slider
Jun 6, 2004

Frida Call Me posted:

yeah, i start offering advice when we're clearly at a point where someone needs to do better or we have no chance of succeeding. for example i have a set of 6 macros for calling out 89 trial mechanics with sound effects (normal, not extreme) because i've seen it time out twice. i'd like to try before i abandon though.

nice. you're learning. expand your mind.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Qwertycoatl
Dec 31, 2008

Oneiros posted:

i've heard people have been running the current extremes without healers at all :v:

Second extreme if you do this do the things that target healers hit random players instead or is it predictable in some way?

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

organize digital employees

https://twitter.com/aitaikimochi/status/1480416997242699776?t=IF-gBH8rv-TldldXnZj5Mw&s=19

Slider
Jun 6, 2004

Frida Call Me posted:

yeah, i start offering advice when we're clearly at a point where someone needs to do better or we have no chance of succeeding. for example i have a set of 6 macros for calling out 89 trial mechanics with sound effects (normal, not extreme) because i've seen it time out twice. i'd like to try before i abandon though.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BfzsMQGqrt0

Damn Dirty Ape
Jan 23, 2015

I love you Dr. Zaius

Begemot posted:

I've been defensive of dark knight in this thread, but I ran into a situation tonight where any other tank probably would've been better.

I ran Tower of Zot as a monk, just wanted to get over the finish line to 84. The tank was an 83 DRK, other DPS was a synced RPR, and the healer was an 83 WHM. The healer had just started healing again and said he was rusty... we wiped to the first trash pull, the first boss two times, the second boss once, and the last boss three times before I left. After a couple incidents where the tank and healer died, leaving me to tank with breath of earth, they started single pulling. At one point the tank advised the healer to use lucid dreaming, and to stop using cure 3 so much.

I know the final boss is hectic, but the healer couldn't survive past 75% of it's HP, the first big AOE phase. I felt bad for leaving but it was just unbearable :negative:

I feel like the 3rd level 81 dungeon boss is harder than anything up until maybe the last boss of the 87 instance (maybe last boss of the 85 instance before you understand the key mechanic). That Blizzard is tough to dodge even once you understand the fight.

Oneiros
Jan 12, 2007

Qwertycoatl posted:

Second extreme if you do this do the things that target healers hit random players instead or is it predictable in some way?

there's rules and it's not even remotely close to deadly even with just two people stackin' if people know what they're doin'

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Bleck posted:

I am still relatively very new to this game but my experience playing with my friends is that our Dark Knight runs past like three or four groups of mobs that the game, I don't know, maybe wants us to fight one or two at a time and then twenty different enemies claw his eyes out while our Sage shoots lasers at all the enemies and the Dark Knight dies and then they all talk about how bad Dark Knight is and I go "why don't we just fight fewer enemies at a time" and they're like "no you don't understand"
Big pulls are pretty normal and the game kind of expects them and is designed around them at this point but your friends sound like they might not be very good at the game, notably the part where the Sage is shooting lasers at the enemies instead of shielding the dark knight.

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

Just how many mistakes have you suffered on the way here?

An uncountable number, to be sure.
Always Be Haima-ing.

Theris
Oct 9, 2007

For someone who prefers the "do your daily roulettes then spam your highest leveling dungeon" method of leveling alt jobs: How do I get a DPS across the ~60-71 gap between command missions and trusts? It's not a problem when I have friends on to bring a tank or healer to get me through queues but what do I do when they're not around? Is there something more time efficient than doing daily Centurio hunts and FATEs while I wait for queues to pop?

Eight-Six
Oct 26, 2007

Theris posted:

For someone who prefers the "do your daily roulettes then spam your highest leveling dungeon" method of leveling alt jobs: How do I get a DPS across the ~60-71 gap between command missions and trusts? It's not a problem when I have friends on to bring a tank or healer to get me through queues but what do I do when they're not around? Is there something more time efficient than doing daily Centurio hunts and FATEs while I wait for queues to pop?

If you don't mind brief bouts of Heaven on High, try that. The XP actually slows way down closer to 70 than I'd like but otherwise you can count on about 3 runs per level, ~15 minutes a run if you're doing floors 21-30.

Frida Call Me
Sep 28, 2001

Boy, you gotta carry that weight
Carry that weight a long time

Theris posted:

you could also knock out kojin and ananta dailies for a bit more xp, but yeah, that's about it. i generally save my catbook for this level range on DPS, too.

also good advice above me

Oneiros
Jan 12, 2007

personally i'm a fan of just "do your daily roulettes and then (literally anything else other than grinding)". unless you're in a hurry for a particular job or whatever

beast tribes are decent in stb at least, if you aren't doing those. and frontlines "roulette" too since a lot of people sleep on that one

Theris
Oct 9, 2007

Oneiros posted:

personally i'm a fan of just "do your daily roulettes and then (literally anything else other than grinding)". unless you're in a hurry for a particular job or whatever

It's not really "grinding" if I'm having fun doing it, and I'm having a lot of fun with the job in dungeons. So my question was really "what can I do while waiting in dungeon queues?" I guess.

CJ
Jul 3, 2007

Asbungold
Tab out and watch YouTube works for me.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Theris posted:

It's not really "grinding" if I'm having fun doing it, and I'm having a lot of fun with the job in dungeons. So my question was really "what can I do while waiting in dungeon queues?" I guess.
You can always level crafting/gathering jobs while waiting in queues if you don't have those leveled.

Oneiros
Jan 12, 2007

yup, some good quests locked behind those if you haven't bothered with them before. and even better if you manage to align some gathering with your hunts

Madmarker
Jan 7, 2007

cheetah7071 posted:

the buff for level 81+ dungeon xp makes dungeons competitive again in ew. For ShB leveling though it's bozja all the way yeah

Not with DPS queues. If you have a group of friends you're grinding dungeons with, 100% do dungeons for 81-90. However, Zadnor/Bozja is just faster when you consider you can just completely ignore the 10-30 minute dps queues between dungeons.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

If someone hasn't progressed the Bozja story far enough to get to the last area of Zadnor yet, is that possible now, or are there not enough people doing things before that point?

Saint Freak
Apr 16, 2007

Regretting is an insult to oneself
Buglord

Theris posted:

Beast Tribes and Hunts should be good exp. Although they hosed some of the XP rates up it seems so I have no way of checking this for that level. (and I'm big salty that 80 to 81 takes like 5 leveling roulettes or something now).

There's cat book for half a level. Weekly challenges. And after that yeah just fates.

Palace and Heaven exist, but I don't know what XP they give now and I have never ever had any luck getting any kind of group that made them fast and painless.

Madmarker
Jan 7, 2007

Harrow posted:

If someone hasn't progressed the Bozja story far enough to get to the last area of Zadnor yet, is that possible now, or are there not enough people doing things before that point?

Eh.....you'll find them, but it is kind of a drag getting there. Usually something like 70% of Zadnor will be in Z3 and the other 30 percent will be scattered between Z1 and 2 because of relic grinding, while someone asks for anyone to please join their 3 person group for Dalriada (usually shouting how they desperately need a tank). Dal really needs its exp buffed to make people actually jump out of Fate grinding but ::shrug::.

Bozja is pretty busy in all three sections. This is at least on Primal DC, can't speak to other DCs.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Madmarker posted:

Eh.....you'll find them, but it is kind of a drag getting there. Usually something like 70% of Zadnor will be in Z3 and the other 30 percent will be scattered between Z1 and 2 because of relic grinding, while someone asks for anyone to please join their 3 person group for Dalriada (usually shouting how they desperately need a tank). Dal really needs its exp buffed to make people actually jump out of Fate grinding but ::shrug::.

Bozja is pretty busy in all three sections. This is at least on Primal DC, can't speak to other DCs.

Is there much EXP/hour difference between FATE grinding in Bozja vs. Zadnor? Or are they basically the same?

I never got around to finishing the Zadnor part of the story so I only have the first zone of Zadnor available (and all of Bozja obviously).

Madmarker
Jan 7, 2007

Harrow posted:

Is there much EXP/hour difference between FATE grinding in Bozja vs. Zadnor? Or are they basically the same?

I never got around to finishing the Zadnor part of the story so I only have the first zone of Zadnor available (and all of Bozja obviously).

I think Bozja is faster....supposedly it is something to do with the way fates spawn in Zadnor, but I personally haven't calculated it out. I just hate Bozja and like Zadnor, so I do most of my level grinding in Zadnor.

Arrrthritis
May 31, 2007

I don't care if you're a star, the moon, or the whole damn sky, you need to come back down to earth and remember where you came from

Madmarker posted:

I have no idea how to get a group together for the raids that occur in-between zones. When I queued up for whatever the raid was to lead into the next zone, I ended up zoning in there entirely by myself and getting chumped by the first boss.

Madmarker
Jan 7, 2007

Arrrthritis posted:

I have no idea how to get a group together for the raids that occur in-between zones. When I queued up for whatever the raid was to lead into the next zone, I ended up zoning in there entirely by myself and getting chumped by the first boss.

So there are 3, 1 that happens in Bozja, one that happens outside of Bozja/Zadnor, and one the happens in Zadnor.

If you are talking about the ones that happen INSIDE of Bozja/Zadnor, just type in shout "LFG DALRIADA" or "RECRUITING FOR DALRIADA" and then invite people who say they are LFG for DAL, you get the idea. If you are talking about the one that happens outside of Bozja/Zadnor, I'm pretty sure you can join and hope other people are signing up. You will get an echo bonus if there are under 48 people. I am pretty sure you can solo it but you'd have to be on your A game.

Frida Call Me
Sep 28, 2001

Boy, you gotta carry that weight
Carry that weight a long time

Madmarker posted:

So there are 3, 1 that happens in Bozja, one that happens outside of Bozja/Zadnor, and one the happens in Zadnor.

If you are talking about the ones that happen INSIDE of Bozja/Zadnor, just type in shout "LFG DALRIADA" or "RECRUITING FOR DALRIADA" and then invite people who say they are LFG for DAL, you get the idea. If you are talking about the one that happens outside of Bozja/Zadnor, I'm pretty sure you can join and hope other people are signing up. You will get an echo bonus if there are under 48 people. I am pretty sure you can solo it but you'd have to be on your A game.

echo bonus only kicks in under 16ish people, but the bosses do scale down with lower HP if you have less than the full 48.

Badger of Basra
Jul 26, 2007

Physical edition of the EW soundtrack is available for preorder (possible spoilers in the track names): https://store.na.square-enix-games.com/en_US/product/718809/endwalker-final-fantasy-xiv-original-soundtrack-with-preorder-bonus-blu-ray

anyone know if there's a digital edition available on the store somewhere I'm not seeing? I don't think I have anything capable of playing a blu ray besides my PS4 and that's not my preferred method of listening to music

HackensackBackpack
Aug 20, 2007

Who needs a house out in Hackensack? Is that all you get for your money?

I like to believe this is canon. Thancred tells you that Estinien said he is "warm enough in his armor" before you head to Garlemald.

Zomborgon
Feb 19, 2014

I don't even want to see what happens if you gain CHIM outside of a pre-coded system.

Madmarker posted:

There are multiple areas that require a split party to take out different targets. Soloing is thus not viable. There's some instakill mechanics associated with these, too.

Delunrum Reginae uses a matchamking system so that will just use the full playercount (though with no role quotas, but parties can swap members around as needed)

Leraika
Jun 14, 2015

Luckily, I *did* save your old avatar. Fucked around and found out indeed.

Badger of Basra posted:

Physical edition of the EW soundtrack is available for preorder (possible spoilers in the track names): https://store.na.square-enix-games.com/en_US/product/718809/endwalker-final-fantasy-xiv-original-soundtrack-with-preorder-bonus-blu-ray

anyone know if there's a digital edition available on the store somewhere I'm not seeing? I don't think I have anything capable of playing a blu ray besides my PS4 and that's not my preferred method of listening to music

The digital version will likely be available on spotify et al later, but I'm not sure SE directly sells digital copies, which is a pity - I had the same issue trying to get one of the earlier OSTs.

Thundarr
Dec 24, 2002

I've heard of groups of 3 or 4 taking on CLL / Dalriada, but I'm not sure it's possible with 2 regardless of Echo and it's definitely not possible to solo due to the structure of the raids.

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice

Madmarker posted:

Not with DPS queues. If you have a group of friends you're grinding dungeons with, 100% do dungeons for 81-90. However, Zadnor/Bozja is just faster when you consider you can just completely ignore the 10-30 minute dps queues between dungeons.

Depends whether you measure it by real-life hours or by hours actually playing the game. You can alt tab and do something else during a queue

Orcs and Ostriches
Aug 26, 2010

The Great Twist
I'm solo queuing my reaper doing dungeon spam for levelling. Takes less than an hour and a half per level, 10-15 minute queue included. Just hit 85.

Not sure how that lines up to fate spamming in Bozja, but it gives me 2-3 dungeons per level, with queue time to do food/pot prep for savage or go hit some timed nodes.

Oxyclean
Sep 23, 2007

Yeah, i'd rather deal with 10 min dps queues then fate grind in Zadnor. Plus you can do EW fates for bicolours/shared fate in the meantime.

iPodschun
Dec 29, 2004

Sherlock House

Orcs and Ostriches posted:

I'm solo queuing my reaper doing dungeon spam for levelling. Takes less than an hour and a half per level, 10-15 minute queue included. Just hit 85.

Not sure how that lines up to fate spamming in Bozja, but it gives me 2-3 dungeons per level, with queue time to do food/pot prep for savage or go hit some timed nodes.
I leveled Summoner a few weeks ago in Bozja since I don't like playing healer in dungeons. I forget if I started at 82 or 83 but it took me ~5 hours of Zadnor zone 3 + CEs grinding to get to 89, then I did Frontline daily + Wondrous Tails to finish getting to 90.

Thundarr
Dec 24, 2002

The main reason I'd use Bozja at this point is to get the rest of the way to a few remaining achievements. It's decently fast and mindless compared to other methods of leveling, but not really as fun. I'm also in no rush any more now that I have the jobs I want to 90 so I intend to slow ride the rest out. Other then the remaining crafter jobs, which are each like an afternoon for 80-90 so may as well get them there sooner rather than later.

Magres
Jul 14, 2011
I've been pretty pleased with only doing Critical Engagements in Bozja. I just chill and do other poo poo until I hear the CE noise then go hammer out a bossfight. Idk how the EXP is or if I'm wasting my time, but it's fun!

Kazy
Oct 23, 2006

0x38: FLOPPY_INTERNAL_ERROR

I find Southern Front is better exp than Zadnor only because the FATEs in Zadnore die far too quickly to guarantee a gold.

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice

Kazy posted:

I find Southern Front is better exp than Zadnor only because the FATEs in Zadnore die far too quickly to guarantee a gold.

The trick is to put down waymarks at the three locations where the predictable fates spawn and go in them in a triangle. The order can vary a bit by instance, but it'll usually be something like

elephant (stay) red mage (go to next waymark) chocobo (stay) whichever fate shares a loation with chocobo I forget (go to next waymark) robots (go back to the start)

There's a fourth place fates can spawn, which is also a two-chain, but it's a bit unpredictable. By knowing where to go next and when to stay in place, you can always be at the fate when it spawns and get gold every time

acumen
Mar 17, 2005
Fun Shoe

Kazy posted:

If you join a group it seems like as long as your group as a whole contributes enough to get a gold and you get a single hit in, you get gold. Join groups it's easy as hell

I've been preferring EW dungeons though just for the sweet tunes and getting to use my fancy new expansion skills.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice
Yeah for all fates, it uses the whole group's contribution to determine your rank. You just have to have gotten at least one point of enmity with the fate mobs to receive full credit. Just like real-world group projects!

e: just do /say inv after one of the fates dies and people will trip over themselves to invite you, because they also want a big party to ensure gold credit.