Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

sephiRoth IRA
Jun 13, 2007

"Science is not only compatible with spirituality; it is a profound source of spirituality."

-Carl Sagan

sugar free jazz posted:

is that what happened here

I can't go without loving for 6 months so we're going to have to toss monogamy out the window, how did you not see this coming

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

sugar free jazz
Mar 5, 2008

sephiRoth IRA posted:

I can't go without loving for 6 months so we're going to have to toss monogamy out the window, how did you not see this coming

what does out of the blue mean to you, and is that what’s happening here

small ghost
Jan 30, 2013

sugar free jazz posted:

[...] is that what’s happening here

yes

Falathrim
May 7, 2007

I could shoot someone if it would make you feel better.
Heterosexuals get so weird about this poo poo.

Alchenar
Apr 9, 2008

I've lost track of who thinks who is weird, but once you are engaged you are definitely past the point of asking for an open relationship. Or at least, can't seriously expect the engagement not to be reconsidered in light of the request.

small ghost
Jan 30, 2013

Falathrim posted:

idk why people say dumb poo poo like this as tho this particular incompatibility doesn't blow up gay relationships all the time too lol

edit: like yeah the straights are weird about their exes etc etc. but you need more queer friends if you think "they asked for an open relationship and now I'm questioning everything" is a hets only issue lmao

small ghost fucked around with this message at 14:29 on Jan 10, 2022

Lotus Aura
Aug 16, 2009

KNEEL BEFORE THE WICKED KING!

Falathrim posted:

Allosexuals get so weird about this poo poo.

Agreed :v:

Wolfsbane
Jul 29, 2009

What time is it, Eccles?

Smirking_Serpent posted:

Late 14th century?

Hi from the UK. We've been here for a while.

Total Meatlove posted:

Usually means that there is evidence or extant pieces of an original building from the late 14th that has been extended on or built up over time.

Whenever they get listed it's for things like 'an original doorframe in stone bears a date mark of 1370, with stonework in the original configuration of the house, renovated in the 1800's in the Georgian style' or something like that.

The house my wife's family lived in when we met was a 15th century cottage. The whole original cottage was the living room, with extra rooms and a second floor added on over the years. The doorway from the living room to the kitchen was 5'6" high and two feet deep, which is a lethal trap for a tall person.

kalel
Jun 19, 2012

Europeans (or maybe it's just europhiles from America?) get so horny for buildings from the middle ages, meanwhile in America everything is in a constant state of renovation. we can't get enough of tearing poo poo down immediately after its built. "just buy a new one" is our economy's god-given motto and by god are we proud of it

Seth Pecksniff
May 27, 2004

can't believe shrek is fucking dead. rip to a real one.

Falathrim posted:

This is such a reductive take in honestly surprised it hasn't imploded on itself

BabyFur Denny
Mar 18, 2003

sephiRoth IRA posted:

But that's absolutely not what she suggested to her partner.

Alchenar
Apr 9, 2008

BabyFur Denny posted:

That is a very 'if a tree falls in the woods' view of monogamy.

kalel
Jun 19, 2012

Falathrim posted:

it doesn't make you look cool when you say things like this BTW, it just makes you look like a weirdo

hawowanlawow
Jul 27, 2009

some of the denizens of this thread are the friends who gave op's fiance the advice to request to open the relationship and nuke her entire life lol

log off

sephiRoth IRA
Jun 13, 2007

"Science is not only compatible with spirituality; it is a profound source of spirituality."

-Carl Sagan

BabyFur Denny posted:

You and I have incompatible takes on monogamy and I'm going to have to open up this posting relationship

sure okay
Apr 7, 2006

BabyFur Denny posted:

quote:

she said that it would make sense to have an open relationship during this period, strictly hookups though and we will go monogamous once we are together.

:confused:

"My partner has decided to bring up being intimate with strangers unprompted, during a time when I cannot observe her so even if I say no I will wonder if she's doing it anyway."

Alchenar
Apr 9, 2008

It's okay though because she promises not to have casual sex with other partners while he is in the same room, so

Total Meatlove
Jan 28, 2007

:japan:
Rangers died, shoujo Hitler cried ;_;

kalel posted:

Europeans (or maybe it's just europhiles from America?) get so horny for buildings from the middle ages, meanwhile in America everything is in a constant state of renovation. we can't get enough of tearing poo poo down immediately after its built. "just buy a new one" is our economy's god-given motto and by god are we proud of it

Nowhere is that more evident than the fact that the average life of an American sports stadium is 25 years.

greazeball
Feb 4, 2003

kalel posted:

That isn't renovation though, that's just letting poo poo fall apart, building something new in the suburbs and letting the urban centres go to hell.

sugar free jazz
Mar 5, 2008

hawowanlawow posted:

some of the denizens of this thread are the friends who gave op's fiance the advice to request to open the relationship and nuke her entire life lol

log off

Which friends were these again

hawowanlawow
Jul 27, 2009

sugar free jazz posted:

Which friends were these again

I just assume when someone does something that fuckin stupid they have lovely friends egging them on. also they're calling him trying to get him to meet with her which fits that profile

*8 trulys deep*

"as a matter of fact, HE is the abusive and controlling one for not suggesting you open it up sooner. you're going to be apart for SIX MONTHS!"

*passes out and pisses their pants*

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

from hell's heart I cast at thee
🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸

sure okay posted:

:confused:

"My partner has decided to bring up being intimate with strangers unprompted, during a time when I cannot observe her so even if I say no I will wonder if she's doing it anyway."
This is kind of the crux here. If he wasn't into it then their relationship was dead. So either she really didn't know her partner and so thought she had a shot, or really didn't know her partner and so thought the worst possible option was "Nah but we cool", or did know her partner and knew this was a likely outcome but valued taking the hail mary at getting some strange over keeping her long-term relationship. None of these options or variations on these options scream "People who should be talking marriage".

Splicer fucked around with this message at 15:54 on Jan 10, 2022

Verdugo
Jan 5, 2009

Lipstick Apathy

Zulily Zoetrope posted:

lmao he explicitly said music with lyrics so it's gonna be stuff like this

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BWWfjK0v8eM

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d8lEDOnlTv4

"Honey! Its our song!"

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-LYB7iLZNWE

Also when the officiant asks "Speak now or forever hold your peace " they need to play the drowning music.

feedmegin
Jul 30, 2008

Total Meatlove posted:

Usually means that there is evidence or extant pieces of an original building from the late 14th that has been extended on or built up over time.

Whenever they get listed it's for things like 'an original doorframe in stone bears a date mark of 1370, with stonework in the original configuration of the house, renovated in the 1800's in the Georgian style' or something like that.

I mean you say that but as a child I spent a couple of years living in a converted Tudor barn. 16th century, thatched, original wattle and daub walls. No indoors toilet. :P Then I spent a year when I moved back to the UK living in a cottage built in 1740. Neither changed much since they were built.

Britain is old. A 14th century building is older than you'll usually see, for sure, but it's not out of the question.

Agents are GO!
Dec 29, 2004

I remember a line in a Charles Stross laundry files book, where the protagonist mentions something to the effect of, "Americans considered it an old city, which means it's younger than my post office."

Runcible Cat
May 28, 2007

Ignoring this post

Splicer posted:

This is kind of the crux here. If he wasn't into it then their relationship was dead. So either she really didn't know her partner and so thought she had a shot, or really didn't know her partner and so thought the worst possible option was "Nah but we cool", or did know her partner and knew this was a likely outcome but valued taking the hail mary at getting some strange over keeping her long-term relationship. None of these options or variations on these options scream "People who should be talking marriage".

Or some kind of "men can't keep it in their pants for 6 months so I'd rather sort it out ahead of time rather than be blindsided" thinking, though that probably belongs under "really didn't know her partner".

BabyFur Denny
Mar 18, 2003

Splicer posted:

Nah it's just that being in an open relationship is so stigmatised that even the mere suggestion of thinking about a temporary arrangement apparently is enough for some people to immediately drop a nuclear bomb on their relationship.

Gnoman
Feb 12, 2014

Come, all you fair and tender maids
Who flourish in your pri-ime
Beware, take care, keep your garden fair
Let Gnoman steal your thy-y-me
Le-et Gnoman steal your thyme

If you have agreed to a monogamous relationship, then the mere "suggesteionc of a "temporary" arrangement unilaterally declared by o e side of it is a perfectly valid reason to nuke the relationship.

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat

BabyFur Denny posted:

Nah it's just that being in an open relationship is so stigmatised that even the mere suggestion of thinking about a temporary arrangement apparently is enough for some people to immediately drop a nuclear bomb on their relationship.

How dare people decide what they want in their relationships based on their preferences

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
Not knowing that masturbation is normal really fucks people up.

BOOTY-ADE
Aug 30, 2006

BIG KOOL TELLIN' Y'ALL TO KEEP IT TIGHT

BabyFur Denny posted:

Or maybe things like open relationships need to be discussed between both people versus "hey, you'll be out of the country for 6 months, let's gently caress other people until you get back" with absolutely no prior discussion

BabyFur Denny
Mar 18, 2003

Gnoman posted:

If you have agreed to a monogamous relationship, then the mere "suggesteionc of a "temporary" arrangement unilaterally declared by o e side of it is a perfectly valid reason to nuke the relationship.
That would be a valid point if society wasn't so heavily biased towards exclusive relationships that a lot of people aren't even aware that there are other options

BabyFur Denny
Mar 18, 2003

BOOTY-ADE posted:

Or maybe things like open relationships need to be discussed between both people versus "hey, you'll be out of the country for 6 months, let's gently caress other people until you get back" with absolutely no prior discussion

From the OP it sounds like she wanted to start a discussion and was perfectly fine with staying monogamous if her partner was not on board??

Dr. Stab
Sep 12, 2010
👨🏻‍⚕️🩺🔪🙀😱🙀

Gnoman posted:

It's not a unilateral declaration. She didn't stomp in and say "we're poly now deal with it" she brought up the idea and he broke up with her because she was entertaining it.

Like okay if that's your boundary, sure, break up. But, it just seems really weird that he blocked her and won't talk to her.

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

from hell's heart I cast at thee
🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸

BabyFur Denny posted:

So are you saying she didn't know her partner or that she did know her partner but still thought it was worth the shot?

Splicer fucked around with this message at 16:51 on Jan 10, 2022

BabyFur Denny
Mar 18, 2003

Splicer posted:

So are you saying she didn't know her partner or that she did know her partner but still thought it was worth the shot?

She didn't know how her partner felt about this, obviously, since they never discussed this before.

Dazerbeams
Jul 8, 2009

If you really need to ask about opening the relationship, which is never a good idea in the middle of one, you should probably ask your partner how they think before making any suggestions. Test the waters maybe.

Tarkus
Aug 27, 2000

Maybe it wasn't the best idea to float the idea while he was away. A question like that is more like "I found a dude I'd like to gently caress while you're not around but I'd prefer to not feel guilty about getting the bone." when done in this context.

hawowanlawow
Jul 27, 2009

but if you test the waters first you're starting from a position of weakness and you might not get what you want

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Alchenar
Apr 9, 2008

Post proposal and engagement is too late to have the first ever conversation about having an open relationship.