Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

dogsicle
Oct 23, 2012

i don't think either the anime/manga make moves to strongly connect it to her care for Bojji but agree that seems to be the intended read. especially now with the context of how she gave Daida the duty to act as a protector for his brother. it's a good example of benevolent prejudice and still something i think Bojji will have to overcome, given stuff like Fangz mentioned.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

paragon1
Nov 22, 2010

FULL COMMUNISM NOW
Yeah my read is that Hilling loves Bojji but does not have any faith in his ability at anything.

Wittgen
Oct 13, 2012

We have decided to decline your offer of a butt kicking.
It's hardly an unreasonable view either. If you're regularly walking through thr street naked, getting laughed at by everyone, maybe you're going to have a tough time inspiring respect and obedience as head of state.

Das Boo
Jun 9, 2011

There was a GHOST here.
It's gone now.
Additionally, looking at Bosse, I think the prospect of putting Bojji into that position scares the poo poo out of her. In her mind it's a quick way for Bojji to end up dead. She was arguing for tucking him away and continuing his education while Daida bears the brunt to protect him.

While Hiling puts on the face of arrogance and severity, she understands that their position is pretty much a precarious battle royale and that a strong reputation is going to help them survive. It's in private you see her playing with the kids and climbing over walls to give them treats. That's who she wants to be. Unless you hurt her babies, the severity is all for show.

Poor woman felt so badly about that show creeping into her relationship with Bojji that she let him do something he wanted (with top security) and he immediately loving died.

Omnicrom
Aug 3, 2007
Snorlax Afficionado

Ranking of Kings: Where every character is the best character. You thought knights 1 through 4 were just goofy background characters? No, they're actually awesome.

I guess we got more of Miranjo's motivation, and unsurprisingly given the show she's doing what she's doing out of a sense of loyalty and fealty. She's going to unfreeze all the monsters in the basement, right?

Meanwhile, Ouken continues being deeply disturbing. Do you think there's actually anything inside all of that armor? There's a shot in the opening that makes it look like maybe all that's inside him is that black blood.

Das Boo
Jun 9, 2011

There was a GHOST here.
It's gone now.
Hiling continues to be The Best. The reveal about her armor was great.

Sindai
Jan 24, 2007
i want to achieve immortality through not dying
The town guards were one thing but those townspeople have very weak self preservation instincts.

UnderFreddy
Oct 9, 2012

GEGENPOSTING

the black haired guy with the mustache in the opening is clearly pre-evil Ouken, right?

still loving these episodes. Everytime we get to see Dorshe fight is such a delight (please live)

AlternateNu
May 5, 2005

ドーナツダメ!

UnderFreddy posted:

the black haired guy with the mustache in the opening is clearly pre-evil Ouken, right?

still loving these episodes. Everytime we get to see Dorshe fight is such a delight (please live)

Yeah. I expect that Ouken is Despa's twin brother. It explains why they look alike, and why Desha + the two of them are so prevalent in the OP. Really, I'm interested to see how Desha gets involved with all the poo poo going on in Bosse's kingdom beyond sending his royal guard.

Cao Ni Ma
May 25, 2010

UnderFreddy posted:

Could be a younger pre King Desha

Desha and Despa are brothers, so its likely they both looked alike. We know being kings puts an immense burden on the people holding the title. Its possible that Desha aged faster because of the stresses of it. It can fit with the statue scene in the underworld too, instead of Desha being angry because of his ugly face on the statue it could be that it had his old face in it and is reminded of what he lost.

Although Ouken has the naming convention going for him. He could have been the brother that would have inherit the king title originally or he could be Deshas son

Cao Ni Ma fucked around with this message at 15:15 on Jan 15, 2022

PsychoInternetHawk
Apr 4, 2011

Perhaps, if one wishes to remain an individual in the midst of the teeming multitudes, one must make oneself grotesque.
Grimey Drawer
Been binging this and one of my low-key favorite parts is how despite the world being overwhelmingly filled with typical humans almost nobody blinks at Kage. Even within the lore of the show he's a shape-shifting blob with a proboscis for a mouth but everyone besides Bebin seems to look at him and go "yep that's a regular guy."

Das Boo
Jun 9, 2011

There was a GHOST here.
It's gone now.
While showing this to my mom, I described Kage as more of a "critter."
She loving hates Domas.

Hihohe
Oct 4, 2008

Fuck you and the sun you live under

Just found this anime and finished it. Hoo Boy Its a breath of fresh air from other anime.

https://i.imgur.com/RB2yolJ.mp4

Omnicrom
Aug 3, 2007
Snorlax Afficionado

PsychoInternetHawk posted:

Been binging this and one of my low-key favorite parts is how despite the world being overwhelmingly filled with typical humans almost nobody blinks at Kage. Even within the lore of the show he's a shape-shifting blob with a proboscis for a mouth but everyone besides Bebin seems to look at him and go "yep that's a regular guy."

To be fair, Bebin's approach was more along the lines of "I know about your tribe, you're freelance assassins, who sent you and who are you here to kill?" and he seemed to pretty quickly come around on Kage in terms of being individual considering he had Kage spend a couple of episodes shadowing (ha ha) Bojji.

Das Boo posted:

While showing this to my mom, I described Kage as more of a "critter."
She loving hates Domas.

Your mother has good sense.

starkebn
May 18, 2004

"Oooh, got a little too serious. You okay there, little buddy?"
So I'm digging the animation and the characters, but the narrative structure of this show feels like it's going off the rails. It's been a bit random and unexplained why things are happening all along, but the last couple of episodes have been a clown show. It's just losing me when people seem to be changing motivations from scene to scene or crowds of monsters stand around without attacking, or crowds of people stand around to be attacked.

I'll keep watching it due to its strengths, but I hope it settles down a bit and stuff starts happening with some reason.

fairlight
May 18, 2007

Yeah, I feel you. This latest episode especially was a real mess, but I’m hoping it comes together again…

SexyBlindfold
Apr 24, 2008
i dont care how much probation i get capital letters are for squares hehe im so laid back an nice please read my low effort shitposts about the arab spring

thanxs!!!
:same:
I feel like each character individually is pretty layered and well-written, but the overall flow of the plot feels disjointed, with pretty flimsy excuses to explain why things happen that way or why there are so many convoluted turns in every character's schemes. I'm still interested in finding out how things turn out, but I'm not really expecting an overarching narrative that coherently ties up every plot thread together, just some cool action scenes and cute character moments.

AlternateNu
May 5, 2005

ドーナツダメ!
I'm willing to give the show a pass because there is so much backstory we just straight up don't know. What seems janky and convoluted now probably has decent reasoning behind it. People are loving complicated. :shrug:

Fangz
Jul 5, 2007

Oh I see! This must be the Bad Opinion Zone!
I think multi-way action sequences where different stuff is happening simultaneously is just inherently problematic in anime. FSN:UBW had the some issue, I'm hoping things calm down after this bit.

Tales of Woe
Dec 18, 2004

yeah the first half's balance between bojji's adventures and the machinations going on back home was really good but it's losing me with this turn into seemingly 'everyone (plus random new guys) comes in for a big battle royale'

open conflict is almost always both harder to pull off and less compelling than intrigue + 1v1 fights

Das Boo
Jun 9, 2011

There was a GHOST here.
It's gone now.
So I have noticed a distinct A and B team for this show (and other Wix shows), but it's usually pretty evenly broken up here with nearly every other episode being A team. (A team being the flourishy one, B team using the more traditional, economic shots.) The last two episodes have been B teams, which have had a definite impact on tone since so much of it is action-based. If cour 1 is anything to go by, I'm anticipating the next episode to be an A team ep. I wanna see how it feels with everything going on.

If there's an actual term for this, someone please tell me. It's a thing I first noticed it watching Naruto as a teen. "A team" animation happened once every like, 20 episodes and you could pick it out because they would draw the light circles in the eyes.

PsychoInternetHawk
Apr 4, 2011

Perhaps, if one wishes to remain an individual in the midst of the teeming multitudes, one must make oneself grotesque.
Grimey Drawer
It's normal for animation studios to have at least an A team and B team, yes, with the A team covering the big moments. I will say with RoK the B team stuff isn't nearly as dire as it often is with other shows (at least everyone is on model and has a face!) because as you said Wit is very smart about delegating them, but it's still pretty noticeable just because the A team stuff is so, so good.

Tales of Woe
Dec 18, 2004

it's not really A and B team, there's just a rotation of animators/episode directors and the fancy episodes happen whenever the best/most ambitious ones come around. usually the series director will try to manage it such that this happens on an episode worthy of it story-wise.

there's also going to be some 2-cour fatigue though, even the strongest studios can no longer put together 24 consecutive episodes without some of them being rushed or fully outsourced. hence why there's so many split cour shows these days.

AlternateNu
May 5, 2005

ドーナツダメ!
Oh poo poo! Desha has it in for Miranjo! And that ending scene means Desha and Domas are probably going to run into each other.

Hilling still best character. This show's just so good as setting up hooks for later.

Cheap Diner Coffee
Aug 7, 2010

Philistine.
Show still good but I'm begging for a return to the first cour production quality, as a treat

bitmap
Aug 8, 2006

loving the show but what is going on with this pacing

Das Boo
Jun 9, 2011

There was a GHOST here.
It's gone now.

Cheap Diner Coffee posted:

Show still good but I'm begging for a return to the first cour production quality, as a treat

Yeah, not gonna say I wasn't disappointed. This last one was pretty choppy. The Hiling and Bojji interactions did all the lifting.

I am not a shipping person, but Hiling and Dorshe are good for each other and I'm glad.

AlternateNu
May 5, 2005

ドーナツダメ!
Some of the action was a bit lackluster but I think they’re doing a good job focusing on what is important. Like the aforementioned Bojji/Hilling interactions and the flashback to the fire incident.

Terrifying Effigies
Oct 22, 2008

Problems look mighty small from 150 miles up.

Boo on Hiling putting a kibosh on Bojji / Kage / Gigan good time adventures. Bojji should allowed to be friends with everyone.

Jerkface
May 21, 2001

HOW DOES IT FEEL TO BE DEAD, MOTHERFUCKER?

In my heart I knew the non stop banger episodes couldn't last and I hope they are conserving their energy to end the season with s
nonstop bangers.

Despite the animation being rougher than usual I still find all the character stuff delightful each episode.

Kage was on point this episode and Hilling continues to own bones.

dogsicle
Oct 23, 2012

i believe bojji can and will destroy the system, for friendship

Ibram Gaunt
Jul 22, 2009

I didn't think any of the recent episodes were bad or disappointing personally.

Hihohe
Oct 4, 2008

Fuck you and the sun you live under

Ibram Gaunt posted:

I think they are only less in comparison
still good just not AS good yknow?

Omnicrom
Aug 3, 2007
Snorlax Afficionado

Ibram Gaunt posted:

Same. Even in comparison I think they're still great.

Jerkface
May 21, 2001

Ibram Gaunt posted:

The show is still good and fun to watch but I spend a lot more time noticing all the animation cheats / cost savers instead of the gorgeous animation that the prior episodes were full of. Also does not help that these past few episodes have been a kind of ... prolonged fight that is kind of weirdly plotted.

Relin
Oct 6, 2002

You have been a most worthy adversary, but in every game, there are winners and there are losers. And as you know, in this game, losers get robotizicized!
the manga is still publishing so its possible they dont have that much to work with

Jerkface
May 21, 2001

Relin posted:

the manga is still publishing so its possible they dont have that much to work with

i think the problem is that when I last went through the RAWs, the manga actually did spend like 60 chapters on this nonsense lol

Like we are on episode 14 and this fight we just saw is in chapter 75 - they have burned through the manga / the manga after the initial ~30 chapters doesn't have much going on. In anime adaptations its usually 2-4 chapters per episode (atleast in shounen & what slice of life stuff I've seen) but they can't (wont?) do that here. There are ~170 chapters out so they had a lot of runway to create a full season of content.

dogsicle
Oct 23, 2012

well, they've been incredibly pick-and-choose about adapting things so far. entirely possible we've skipped lots of otherwise straightforward exposition/backstory stuff so they can squirrel it away for climaxes as has been the MO so far.

but i haven't been bothering to seek out the manga since we crossed like, episode 5.

Jerkface
May 21, 2001

dogsicle posted:

but i haven't been bothering to seek out the manga since we crossed like, episode 5.

Same, not just because the english translation on mangadex is so far behind. And I agree, they are holding a lot back in terms of flashbacks. I hope they get a nice satisfying conclusion. Just on the first half this is my favorite anime in recent memory and I'd love for Wit to nail the landing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nanigans
Aug 31, 2005

~Waku Waku~
I thought last week’s episode was rough and convoluted. This week’s was great! And I didn’t notice any drop in animation quality, but then I’m not looking at it with a fine toothed comb. Just here for adorable Boji/Kage/Hilling action.

I’m glad those puppies and the snake are all OK. :3: