Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Twelve by Pies
May 4, 2012

Again a very likpatous story
Okay I'm stumped. How the hell do you get the glory crystals/Miman on the rooftops south of the starting leyline in Ueno? It doesn't look like there's anywhere to jump down from, and I've circled the buildings they're on multiple times and seen no staircases up the buildings.

e: I have a feeling that Amanozako is the MC's "other half" and he's her Knowledge, but she's screwed out of gaining that Knowledge since he's fused with Aogami. If so, I feel kinda sorry for her.

Twelve by Pies fucked around with this message at 04:52 on Jan 9, 2022

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Smirking_Serpent
Aug 27, 2009

Twelve by Pies posted:

Okay I'm stumped. How the hell do you get the glory crystals/Miman on the rooftops south of the starting leyline in Ueno? It doesn't look like there's anywhere to jump down from, and I've circled the buildings they're on multiple times and seen no staircases up the buildings.

If it's the crystals I'm thinking of, you need to wait til you progress further in the map. There's an abscess near the center of the map, and you go past it to go up to a big mountain, and you jump off the mountain to get to the rooftops.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Hyper Crab Tank posted:

I didn't play the Law ending, but I'm honestly not entirely sure what the Law side wants, besides almost literally nothing - Nahobinos are heretical so that's off the table, and no one else is going to have access to the throne, so Abdiel's ultimate goal seems to be very little other than status quo. Funnily though, I think Dazai is the most interesting human of the lot given that he actually has something of a character arc and his case for the Law side is, even if you don't agree with it, reasonable. Atsuta by comparison has almost no personality at all and mostly seems to be going along with Tsukuyomi out of loyalty - and wanting to fix Tokyo - though that doesn't really require creating the world of myriad gods Tsukuyomi wants. Neither he nor Tsukuyomi really struck me as the cut-throat "it's a god eat god world out there, kid" type, so why exactly are they so bent on reshaping the world in that fashion as opposed to just fixing Tokyo and being done with it?

They don't want God Eats God so much as they want to be allow the gods to become their true whole selves again instead of crippled demonized versions. It's also probably a lot easier to sell that when you're discussing the guardian diety of a city for example. This also means that they will have more power when it comes to preventing another Tokyo.

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

organize digital employees

LaSquida posted:

Finding out that I needed to beat goddamn Shiva to get the secret/extra ending made me a little miffed, but I guess I'm going with Team Japan this run through...only to find I didn't answer enough Chaos-aligned questions, as I'm being asked to pony-up 660,000 macca for the alignment quest. Will that get me the alignment miracle too, or have I screwed the pooch on that one?

How are people farming macca in the endgame anyway, I am nowhere near clearing that. I am at level 99 and the only thing keeping me from stacking a full party of top-flight demons is I can't afford them, even with the max compendium discount

Zulily Zoetrope
Jun 1, 2011

Muldoon

Twelve by Pies posted:

There's in fact both a staircase up and somewhere from which you can jump down. I don't think there's a trick to the staircase other than it being a staircase tucked away in a corner somewhere, but as I recall, you have to squeeze into the space between the buildings and go through a destroyed one, entering from the north of the block.

The spot to jump down involves a massive detour and should be put off until you find some more ley lines and clear an abscess or two, as mentioned above. I think you need to employ both routes to clear those rooftops.

Hyper Crab Tank
Feb 10, 2014

The 16-bit retro-future of crustacean-based transportation
If you really do want those miman right now, you can, but it requires going into level 99 abscess's scary zone and then running right past it out the other end (i.e. you don't have to actually beat the abscess). From there there's a cliff you can jump down onto a rooftop (it looks like you can't make it but you can, it's a slope running kind of diagonally down towards the corner of a rooftop).

LaSquida posted:

Finding out that I needed to beat goddamn Shiva to get the secret/extra ending made me a little miffed, but I guess I'm going with Team Japan this run through...only to find I didn't answer enough Chaos-aligned questions, as I'm being asked to pony-up 660,000 macca for the alignment quest. Will that get me the alignment miracle too, or have I screwed the pooch on that one?

AFAIK you can't get the exclusive miracle without matching alignments properly. The quest will get you a unique fusable demon (Michael/Belial). It's free if you matched alignments correctly, otherwise you have to pay.

As for how to earn that macca, the mother goddess fight awards something like 150,000 macca, which helps a lot. I had roughly 750k at the end of the game after fusing a level 99 demon team to take out Shiva (which cost multiple hundreds of thousands of macca).

Hyper Crab Tank fucked around with this message at 10:34 on Jan 9, 2022

Twelve by Pies
May 4, 2012

I found a special conversation between Cerberus and Hydra, which on one hand was kind of cool, on the other hand it was annoying because it just resulted in Cerberus giving me a couple of items instead of joining my party.

Hyper Crab Tank posted:

If you really do want those miman right now, you can, but it requires going into level 99 abscess's scary zone and then running right past it out the other end (i.e. you don't have to actually beat the abscess). From there there's a cliff you can jump down onto a rooftop (it looks like you can't make it but you can, it's a slope running kind of diagonally down towards the corner of a rooftop).

Ah okay, thanks. I don't really care too much about the Miman right now but those glory crystals are tempting so I can unlock the MC's final skill slot.

It took me a while to realize that you aren't really meant to have all the Nahobino exclusive skills from the Aogami essences and that they mostly exist so you can customize your MC to fill different roles. Since I've been dumping the majority of my skill points into strength due to the Almighty strength based skill, it means that Profaned Land isn't really that appealing to me and I can just ignore it, same with the essence that lets the MC fill a status infliction role. Profaned Land does seem like it'd be a lot better for a Chaos runthrough too, since most angels are weak to dark, so I might throw it on him when I do that. I have a feeling I'm probably leaning Law pretty hard though from the quests I've done and the responses I've given. I dunno if this game locks people out of the Neutral ending like IV did (I remember IV being especially rude since the final sequence requires you to get either a +15 or -5, meaning if you were slightly Chaos you were mathematically incapable of getting Neutral).

Stux
Nov 17, 2006

Hyper Crab Tank posted:

I didn't play the Law ending, but I'm honestly not entirely sure what the Law side wants, besides almost literally nothing - Nahobinos are heretical so that's off the table, and no one else is going to have access to the throne, so Abdiel's ultimate goal seems to be very little other than status quo. Funnily though, I think Dazai is the most interesting human of the lot given that he actually has something of a character arc and his case for the Law side is, even if you don't agree with it, reasonable. Atsuta by comparison has almost no personality at all and mostly seems to be going along with Tsukuyomi out of loyalty - and wanting to fix Tokyo - though that doesn't really require creating the world of myriad gods Tsukuyomi wants. Neither he nor Tsukuyomi really struck me as the cut-throat "it's a god eat god world out there, kid" type, so why exactly are they so bent on reshaping the world in that fashion as opposed to just fixing Tokyo and being done with it?

Zulily Zoetrope posted:

I think there's a throwaway line about how the Amatsukami will do a better job safeguarding Japan than Bethel did, and the other gods get to do the same for their people, but their motivation is almost entirely focused on Tokyo, which whoever gets the throne could clearly fix regardless of what else they do. Law's endgame I think is literally just "back to the status quo;" Nahobino are banned and the old gods stay as demons and cooperate according to decree, like how Bethel worked before god died.

yes law wants things to go back to how they were when the creator was around. abidel will break the condemnation in order to put it back in place. what else could they possibly want.

the chaos side directly lays out their issues: tokyo fading and abdiel/bethel being unconcerned is a symptom of a larger problem, it displays an inherent issue with one god trying to rule by themselves as they will inevitably make decisions which upset the local gods, and will happily sacrifice regions to keep their order. there is also a direct and pretty obvious reason why monotheism would be unpalletable to a region which is polythesitic and houses a huge number of dieties.

Hyper Crab Tank
Feb 10, 2014

Twelve by Pies posted:

I found a special conversation between Cerberus and Hydra, which on one hand was kind of cool, on the other hand it was annoying because it just resulted in Cerberus giving me a couple of items instead of joining my party.

You can just talk to the same demon again, the conversation won't trigger the second time.

Twelve by Pies posted:

I dunno if this game locks people out of the Neutral ending like IV did (I remember IV being especially rude since the final sequence requires you to get either a +15 or -5, meaning if you were slightly Chaos you were mathematically incapable of getting Neutral).

You almost literally get a prompt asking you "so which ending do you want, champ?" about 30 minutes before the final boss, and ample warning beforehand to save at the conveniently placed leyline fount right there. The only thing you're missing out on by not choosing in accordance with your earlier choices is 1) missing a unique miracle that frankly isn't that good at this point in the game, and 2) having to pay 660,000 macca to get a unique fusion instead of getting it for free. This game is very generous that way, no traps like in IV.

Neeksy
Mar 29, 2007

Hej min vän, hur står det till?

Stux posted:

yes law wants things to go back to how they were when the creator was around. abidel will break the condemnation in order to put it back in place. what else could they possibly want.

the chaos side directly lays out their issues: tokyo fading and abdiel/bethel being unconcerned is a symptom of a larger problem, it displays an inherent issue with one god trying to rule by themselves as they will inevitably make decisions which upset the local gods, and will happily sacrifice regions to keep their order. there is also a direct and pretty obvious reason why monotheism would be unpalletable to a region which is polythesitic and houses a huge number of dieties.

Yeah that's about what I took from it, the big choice seems to be whichever form of hierarchy you want, demon-conflict-based human darwinism, and 'humans are now alone in the universe for certain'.

TurnipFritter
Apr 21, 2010
10,000 POSTS ON TALKING TIME

Beat the bonus boss in SMT5. The Shield of God magatsuhi skill ended up being pretty useful.

Twelve by Pies
May 4, 2012

Took down Vasuki but it was a rough fight, status spamming bosses suck. I had a full compliment of Amrita Showers but it still was difficult. I tried going through the portal behind him and got a "You were pushed out because your level is too low" message, so good to know Shiva is going to be an absolute bastard of a fight.

Since I'm in the mid to low 60s I decided to give the two DLC bosses I hadn't beaten yet a try. Cleo was pretty simple and went down without a problem. Mephisto is harder...a lot harder. Part of that is due to the fact he has Luster Candy, but even with me having two defense buffs and him being at base stats, he hits like a goddamn truck. He was able to one shot Idun, and I have been pumping her full of Incenses all game, she has like 80 Vitality. I've also got to figure out what essence to give my MC, Mephisto uses dark and physical mostly, and has some fire too. I'm thinking Grimekhala is the best bet, it has nothing for the fire but it should shut down all his other stuff. I'm also not completely sure what level Mephisto is, he could be high 70s so I might still be just a tad bit underleveled (I know levels aren't as important in SMT games as other games, but they do help).

cubicle gangster
Jun 26, 2005

magda, make the tea
I'm assuming this is a good thread to ask a persona 5 question.

I'm on the first palace, but I'm also trying to do side stuff and the rules of how long things take & when you can do them are annoying me. Is there a summary anywhere to the activities and structure of this?

As an example of the thing that made me write this post - just woke up on a Sunday, was in my room, had the option to craft things or tidy up. I chose to fast travel to buy some things first, no time has passed, but now I can't get back into my room? The only option is to skip to evening. For the past 5 nights I haven't been able to craft lockpicks because the second I go up to the room it skips to the next day. Am I supposed to go up without doing anything else, and that's the only thing I can do that evening? How come after other activities I can then do more things in the evening? Why can't I make lockpicks on a Sunday afternoon?

I know the game is trying to make it feel like I have options, but all this is just making me feel like I have to do things in such a specific order. I found a guide that tells you the exact thing to do on each day but I didn't really want every decision I make in the game to be min/maxed according to a guide, I just want to understand the rules.

Admiral H. Curtiss
May 11, 2010

I think there are a bunch of people who can create trailing images. I know some who could do this as if they were just going out for a stroll.
The short version is that every day you may have one 'day' slot and one 'evening' slot that you can use on an action that takes time. Sometimes depending on story one or both may be unavailable. Entering your house skips the day slot, so on the occasions where you start out inside you can choose to spend that slot on an inside-house action, but you cannot go out first and then come back in to spend the day slot there. That's pretty much it. If you go to sleep immediately there either isn't a evening slot on that day, or you already spent it on an action outside your room (eg. making coffee, cleaning the cafe, or studying -- later in the story you can go outside at night too, many of those actions will also use that slot).

Making infiltration tools does indeed take one time slot.

Admiral H. Curtiss fucked around with this message at 05:43 on Jan 10, 2022

cubicle gangster
Jun 26, 2005

magda, make the tea
Appreciate that, maybe I've just been overthinking it.

I already got told I can go out at night, but it's not really clear how as no matter what I've done in the evening, I go straight to bed.
I might drop it onto easy for a bit so I'm feeling less pressure and bump it back when I've got a handle on things.

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

Basically, with a bunch of time at the beginning of the first dungeon and then in between dungeons, story progression will prevent you from doing stuff. Once you see "Mission Start!" and the countdown is at the top of the screen, you'll have more control over how you spend your days.

Difficulty level only affects combat damage, the "daily life" stuff is not affected

There is also a dedicated Persona thread, I made the same mistake once: https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3959827

Twelve by Pies
May 4, 2012

Beat Mephisto, and I was right, he was level 79 and I was 64. Still beat him without getting any more levels though, just took the right team. Went in with my MC with Grimekhala essence, my super Idun, a Mot with Hamaon/Light Pleroma, and an Arahabaki. Arahabaki was a big gamble since it's weak to fire, but I spent most turns when I wasn't using Debilitate guarding with it so it wouldn't get destroyed by Agibarion. I also got lucky with being able to get Mephisto down to -2 pretty early on, it helped a lot. Still, it took a long while and was pretty hairy due to the level difference.

The second half of the fight was incredibly difficult because that's when he likes to spam his unique skill that inflicts Mirage and lowers defense/accuracy by one, and likes using Impaler's Animus. Impaler's Animus meant that my Grimekhala essence on my MC couldn't help him like it did earlier in the fight, and this is also where I learned that it works through Dampeners. I mean, it makes sense if you think about it, but I didn't, and it was a nasty surprise. Whenever I saw him use Impaler's Animus I just used Kannabi Veil and guarded with the rest of my party (unless Idun or Arahabaki needed to re-up buffs/debuffs). It worked pretty well I guess since I only lost Arahabaki once the whole fight.

Hyper Crab Tank
Feb 10, 2014

Twelve by Pies posted:

Took down Vasuki but it was a rough fight, status spamming bosses suck. I had a full compliment of Amrita Showers but it still was difficult. I tried going through the portal behind him and got a "You were pushed out because your level is too low" message, so good to know Shiva is going to be an absolute bastard of a fight.

A note about that, the portal will push you out if you're below level 80. But Shiva is actually level 96. So keep that in mind if you intend to do him (and you do need to if you want the true neutral ending).

jimmydalad
Sep 26, 2013

My face when others are unable to appreciate the :kazooieass:

AGDQ 2018 Awful Block Survivor
So I just came across a video where someone killed Hard mode Shiva in 2 turns using a magic-based Nahobino.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kR1XYogPrFU

Foul Fowl
Sep 12, 2008

Uuuuh! Seek ye me?
that's wild, i didn't know reflecting attacks onto your own weak demons gave you press turns. i beat shiva in a tooth and nail attrition slog on normal lmao.

Hyper Crab Tank
Feb 10, 2014

I just had a set of level 99 demons. Turns out if you kill his summons every turn he does nothing except cast that Megidolaon+debuff spell and summon new allies, which you can heal through. But you probably want to leave some of them up, because the rest of his repertoire is likely to hit your nulls if you've got a good resistance spread, making him waste his turns casting Maziobarion for almost no benefit at all.

Lotus Aura
Aug 16, 2009

KNEEL BEFORE THE WICKED KING!

Foul Fowl posted:

that's wild, i didn't know reflecting attacks onto your own weak demons gave you press turns.

Presumably Safeguard is on those demons, otherwise the repel would auto-end his turn. That turns it into a normal turn letting the weakness still give the extra press turn as a result.

Lotus Aura fucked around with this message at 15:33 on Jan 10, 2022

Deified Data
Nov 3, 2015

Fun Shoe
So if your alignment is unknown does that imply neutral? I aimed for chaos aligned responses most of the game but seemingly never to a degree that would push me one way or the other. This game had kind of a funny alignment system and I wasn't even sure who the chaos/neutral aligned reps were til the very end lol

I know I won't be doing neutral because it sounds like a pain in the rear end. Is the miracle I'll have to miss out on any good?

Hyper Crab Tank
Feb 10, 2014

Neutral gives you neither a miracle nor a fusion. Only Law and Chaos get those.

You do get a unique mother goddess form. It's okay. You probably have better demons already. But that doesn't require anything other than choosing the neutral option at the end.

Zulily Zoetrope
Jun 1, 2011

Muldoon
The Nahobino's alignment on the stat screen says "unaligned" no matter what you do; I'm pretty sure. I tried picking all the chaos options I could, was still unaligned before the route lock, and somehow still wound up qualifying for all the Law bennies and none of the chaos ones. I don't think anyone has actually figured out how alignment works in this game.

A note on the rewards and New Gam+: you get the choice between starting over from scratch or carrying everything with you. In the latter case, you keep your Nahobino levels, current roster, unlocked miracles and such, making wildly overpowered for anything but a few endgame fights. In the former case, the only things you get to keep are the compendium, unlocked fusions, and the miracles to unlock demon skill slots. The route bonus miracle is only available to you for the very last stretch of gameplay; you don't get to carry it into new game plus unless you pick the option that trivializes the entire game. You do get to keep the fusions you've unlocked on either ng+, but all but one are level 80+ so you're not going to see them until the endgame anyhow.

TwoHeadedDeer
Nov 24, 2020

I will be made a new creature, one bright day
What do those alightment choices actually do? I beat the game and at the end I was given one of three choices, and they seemed like the law, chaos and neutral endings. I know there's a another true neutral ending that I could go back and get, is that influenced by those decisions in any way?

Hyper Crab Tank
Feb 10, 2014

That choice is the only one that determines which ending you get and is always the same. Everything else just determines if you get the unique bonus miracle or not and if you have to pay macca for the unique fusion or not.

True neutral is another choice after picking neutral. It's only available if you've basically 100%ed all the quests in the game, including Shiva.

Hyper Crab Tank fucked around with this message at 17:33 on Jan 10, 2022

cubicle gangster
Jun 26, 2005

magda, make the tea

CharlieFoxtrot posted:

Difficulty level only affects combat damage, the "daily life" stuff is not affected

Yeah, but dropping it will mean i can do the entire dungeon in one or two runs instead of 4 because I'm bad at managing sp. Also means I don't have to spend an evening making coffee - so it should have a pretty big impact on the time I have for daily life.

And thanks for the link, I will post any new questions there!

Stux
Nov 17, 2006

Deified Data posted:

So if your alignment is unknown does that imply neutral? I aimed for chaos aligned responses most of the game but seemingly never to a degree that would push me one way or the other. This game had kind of a funny alignment system and I wasn't even sure who the chaos/neutral aligned reps were til the very end lol

I know I won't be doing neutral because it sounds like a pain in the rear end. Is the miracle I'll have to miss out on any good?

go on the tokyo world map and see which way your icon is rotating

Twelve by Pies
May 4, 2012

Having Mephisto almost feels like cheating, he's level 79 like the boss fight and has incredibly high stats and powerful moves. Still, it's not like the game gave him to me for free, I had to do an extremely difficult boss fight to get him, so I earned it at least.

So I just ran into an interesting situation in Ueno, I was doing the subquest for Amon and after fighting him, Khonsu showed up and went "You forgot you were the sun god Ra huh? Well too bad for you, anyway I'm taking the Winged Sun Crest, this was my goal all along." I chose to spare Khonsu after fighting him in an earlier subquest, I'm wondering how Amon's subquest resolves itself if you choose to kill Khonsu, or if you're locked out of it.

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

So how are people making 666,000 macca or whatever

Booky
Feb 21, 2013

Chill Bug

just got the freedom ending in smt3, and it was a real nice note to end off after doing the tde :)

the demifiends bedroom is a bit plain tho, i don't think there were any posters or anything??

Twelve by Pies
May 4, 2012

Either I'm very bad at finding them, or there's practically no leyline points in the fourth area. I've found like, five, and I've explored the entire map.

Item Getter
Dec 14, 2015

CharlieFoxtrot posted:

So how are people making 666,000 macca or whatever

Go beat the demi-fiend

Smirking_Serpent
Aug 27, 2009

Does the 666,000 get you the route exclusive miracle, or just the quest? Because if it’s the just the quest it’s definitely not worth it.

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

Item Getter posted:

Go beat the demi-fiend

But I need the macca to fuse demons for that fight!

Twelve by Pies
May 4, 2012

Woohoo I was right about Amanozako! I guess it was one of those things that was meant to be obvious though, but I'm pretty bad at noticing even obvious things so I feel good for realizing it ahead of time.

Out of nowhere Sophia gave me an item called the Seed of Life. It doesn't seem like it does anything when I look at the description in the menu, but I'm guessing it's one of those things you need to get the secret ending.

Item Getter
Dec 14, 2015

CharlieFoxtrot posted:

But I need the macca to fuse demons for that fight!

More seriously I think you just have to make some runs at the vending machines around Odaiba and Taito

Twelve by Pies posted:

Out of nowhere Sophia gave me an item called the Seed of Life. It doesn't seem like it does anything when I look at the description in the menu, but I'm guessing it's one of those things you need to get the secret ending.

It's not related to the secret ending but will give you a unique demon near the end of the game based on your alignment. You get it for filling out at least 75% of the compendium.

Hyper Crab Tank
Feb 10, 2014

Smirking_Serpent posted:

Does the 666,000 get you the route exclusive miracle, or just the quest? Because if it’s the just the quest it’s definitely not worth it.

Just the quest for the fusion (Belial/Michael).

Twelve by Pies posted:

Either I'm very bad at finding them, or there's practically no leyline points in the fourth area. I've found like, five, and I've explored the entire map.

Some of them are hard to see. Did you notice the one next to Goko (the monk)? Which ones do you have?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zulily Zoetrope
Jun 1, 2011

Muldoon
One of the endgame quests in the same area (which requires the Seed of Life) rewards you with 150 000 macca, which is not chump change. I think your best bet to make up the difference is to just hit up vending machines for a bit. I've been in the ballpark of affording it both times I've made it to the endgame just from picking up relics consistently as I bumble around.