Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Udelar
Feb 17, 2007

as the free-fall advances
I'm the moron who dances

Grimey Drawer

oh no computer posted:

I'm learning Gymnopedie No. 1. How do you play this bit? Like specifically what are you meant to do with the F#?

Strike initially with right hand. Move it out of the way to hit with l.h. As you move l.h. out of the way to hit the next bass note,keep the key held down with r.h, moving it out of the way when left hand refreshes the note. It trades off between hands with l.h striking it on beat 2 each measure and r.h doing the important work of holding it down in place through beat 1 of each measure when l.h moves down to play the bass note. That’s how I played it, at least.

Udelar fucked around with this message at 21:34 on Dec 3, 2021

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bltzn
Oct 26, 2020

For the record I do not have a foot fetish.

Hawkperson posted:

Keep your pinky on it and use 124 for the bass clef stuff I think. Don’t trust me, let someone else vouch or not

oh no computer
May 27, 2003

Udelar posted:

Strike initially with right hand. Move it out of the way to hit with l.h. As you move l.h. out of the way to hit the next bass note,keep the key held down with r.h, moving it out of the way when left hand refreshes the note. It trades off between hands with l.h striking it on beat 2 each measure and r.h doing the important work of holding it down in place.
Ah yeh, this sounds way better than just omitting the note from the LH. Thanks!

Hawkperson
Jun 20, 2003

Oh lol I misread those bass clef notes, thought the top one was D and not F#. Glad someone competent dropped in to answer instead

bltzn
Oct 26, 2020

Udelar posted:

Strike initially with right hand. Move it out of the way to hit with l.h. As you move l.h. out of the way to hit the next bass note,keep the key held down with r.h, moving it out of the way when left hand refreshes the note. It trades off between hands with l.h striking it on beat 2 each measure and r.h doing the important work of holding it down in place through beat 1 of each measure when l.h moves down to play the bass note. That’s how I played it, at least.

I think I would not bother alternating left and right hand, and just play the entire triad including the top F# with the right hand as well

Edit: nevermind, reading a bit further to the next line, looks like you need to play those triads with the left hand anyway because the right is occupied a melody

bltzn fucked around with this message at 22:19 on Dec 3, 2021

Guigui
Jan 19, 2010
Winner of January '10 Lux Aeterna "Best 2010 Poster" Award
Not sure, but could you use the sostenuto (middle) pedal to hold down the f#, freeing up your right hand for the chord progressions?

HappyCamperGL
May 18, 2014

my copy has this suggested fingering. don't think i actually bother changing hands though, as it seems unnecessary faf.

you want to sustain the f# for the melody line. but rearticulate for the harmony.

certainly peddle throughout.

giogadi
Oct 27, 2009

Regarding the middle pedal; why is it seen as such a weird niche thing? It seems so useful in theory. Why wouldn’t pianists use every tool at their disposal to play something just right? I don’t have a sostenuto pedal on my piano, but there have absolutely been times where I used the normal pedal to hold a low note, but this also caused some of the melody to get fuzzy in a way that wasn’t ideal

FatCow
Apr 22, 2002
I MAP THE FUCK OUT OF PEOPLE
Nothing popped up on a few quick searches so I hope this isn't a recent repeat.

I have a 6yo that I'd like to get started with playing. We have a piano at the house that my father and aunt learned on. Are there some trusted reviews for materials or books to start using with her? I'm not a piano player myself, but I do know a few instruments and can read music, understand basic theory and whatnot. That said I'm not sure how to determine a decent review from a bad one since I don't really have any practical knowledge on teaching children or playing piano properly.

Looking at things targeted towards K/1st grade. With her personality, she'll likely need to have something to show for her practice fairly quickly that is somewhat tangible to a child. I'm not going to be able to get her to do things like 'learn these major/minor scales' unless I can tie it to some kind of musical reward.

FatCow fucked around with this message at 17:17 on Jan 10, 2022

Jul 3, 2004

careful!

FatCow posted:

I have a 6yo that I'd like to get started with playing. We have a piano at the house that my father and aunt learned on. Are there some trusted reviews for materials or books to start using with her? I'm not a piano player myself, but I do know a few instruments and can read music, understand basic theory and whatnot.

Looking at things targeted towards K/1st grade. With her personality, she'll likely need to have something to show for her practice fairly quickly that is somewhat tangible to a child. I'm not going to be able to get her to do things like 'learn these major/minor scales' unless I can tie it to some kind of musical reward.

My daughter went through "My First Piano Adventure" Books A through C by Faber when she was 5-6. She's now on the main numbered levels 2B at almost 7 years old. They have been pretty good and the songs are fun to play with her if you can read music and stumble along (lots of duets). Don't worry about full scales for awhile. Their hands really need to build a lot of strength, and we spent most of our exploration time on theory with regard to major and minor 2nds and 3rds, chords (3 notes, one note at a time), and five finger patterns (first 5 notes of a major or minor chord). She still hasn't done a full octave scale, but is doing very well with reading music, sightreading, playing with two hands, etc. She finally got a real teacher half a year ago (I taught her for about a year and a half) and it has been going really well.

Alizee
Mar 2, 2006

"Heaven"
Yeah, in the studio I used to work in we started all the kids off with Piano Adventures.

Start with the primer book:

https://www.amazon.ca/Primer-Level-...616770759&psc=1

Then get level 1:

https://www.amazon.ca/Level-Lesson-...507380204&psc=1

OneSizeFitsAll
Sep 13, 2010

Du bist mein Sofa

FatCow posted:

I have a 6yo that I'd like to get started with playing. We have a piano at the house that my father and aunt learned on. Are there some trusted reviews for materials or books to start using with her? I'm not a piano player myself, but I do know a few instruments and can read music, understand basic theory and whatnot. That said I'm not sure how to determine a decent review from a bad one since I don't really have any practical knowledge on teaching children or playing piano properly.

If you can, it's good to start them ASAP with a teacher who will instil and have them practicing good technique from the outset, so they don't have to shake any bad habits later.

I gave my son a few lessons before he started with a teacher at school, and we used the John Thompson series. With respect to your comment about a musical reward, it gets them playing pieces from the outset, starting with very simple ones which are basically just repeated middle Cs, but then introducing new notes and getting more complex. The nice thing about it is there is a teacher accompaniment, so once he was secure with the piece, I could play along with him, making the overall effect better and thus more aurally rewarding for him, and giving him the buzz of playing with somebody else also. Other books may do this, I don't know, but I think it's a solid concept to make playing more rewarding very early on.

orange sky
May 7, 2007

Man it's just impossible to me to even imagine hearing a note and knowing the pitch/note. What exercises do you guys recommend for this, that I can like open an app and do, or something like that? I just tried https://tonedear.com/ear-training/absolute-perfect-pitch-test only with CDE and basically failed every single one. How do people do this? It's basically identifying frequencies with my ear which just sounds crazy and impossible to me.

BonHair
Apr 28, 2007

orange sky posted:

Man it's just impossible to me to even imagine hearing a note and knowing the pitch/note. What exercises do you guys recommend for this, that I can like open an app and do, or something like that? I just tried https://tonedear.com/ear-training/absolute-perfect-pitch-test only with CDE and basically failed every single one. How do people do this? It's basically identifying frequencies with my ear which just sounds crazy and impossible to me.

Not that I have bothered myself, but the main thing is apparently to just loving practice a whole lot. You have to be consciously thinking about the note while hearing the sound though, it's not enough to just play or hear notes. And honestly that sounds pretty boring to me

But in a way it's probably like recognizing intervals based on songs, but without the song to help you.

Kilometers Davis
Jul 9, 2007

They begin again

orange sky posted:

If you have ios look up “functional ear trainer” it’s incredible and probably the single best thing I’ve ever committed to in regards to music training.

Anne Whateley
Feb 11, 2007
:unsmith: i like nice words
You don't have to do it unless you really really want to. Most musicians don't have perfect pitch, either innate or trained. I don't think there are like huge benefits from it.

It can also kind of develop over time to a degree. I've never focused on it, but (as a singer) more and more often I'm correct when I'm like "what did that go up to, a G?" or I start humming a song, decide to listen to it, turns out I was right on. again though it's been 100% useless. Getting intervals right is much more useful

Kilometers Davis
Jul 9, 2007

They begin again

Perfect pitch doesn’t matter if you don’t have it but relative pitch is the most helpful skill most musicians can train imo.

Alizee
Mar 2, 2006

"Heaven"
Develop your ear for like 20 years, and then learn 12 different pieces that start on all the tones. You can use Chopin's Prelude in e minor for a b natural for example :)

Hawkperson
Jun 20, 2003

People with perfect pitch are really annoying anyway because they don’t like transposing. I don’t understand them

BonHair
Apr 28, 2007

Hawkperson posted:

People with perfect pitch are really annoying anyway because they don’t like transposing. I don’t understand them

Agreed, play Pantera at them to gently caress with them (they turned a quarter tone down.)

My colleague apparently pissed off her piano tech because she insisted on some specific temperament which he couldn't do by ear.

Perfect pitch is just showoff stuff in my opinion, and should be hosed with.

bltzn
Oct 26, 2020

orange sky posted:

I just tried this and it doesn't seem like a useful tool to learn perfect pitch because once you know what the first note is (whether you guessed correctly or not) you'll know what the rest are by relative pitch.

It seems like it would be useful to train recognizing intervals, though.

bltzn fucked around with this message at 01:56 on Jan 16, 2022

discoukulele
Jan 16, 2010

Yes Sir, I Can Boogie
I've started learning how to play on a little 61-key Casiotone CT-S1 and I've been having a blast. I think that I might be ready to upgrade to something a big more piano-like. I'm really torn between the Kawai ES-110, Yamaha P-125, and Donner DEP-20. The Kawai is currently the one that I'm leaning the most toward, with the Yamaha a close second. But, I've been seeing things online about issues with the keys on the Kawai, specifically with clicking noises on some keys when they rise back up, and side-to-side shift with the black keys. Are these things still an issue?

e: I'm also curious about how much of a dip in quality the Donner is compared to the other two. It seems really good for the price and feels a little bit more approachable as a new hobby purchase, but I also would rather invest in something that I'm going to use for the long term :shrug:

discoukulele fucked around with this message at 21:24 on Jan 30, 2022

Discussion Quorum
Dec 5, 2002
Armchair Philistine
Stu from Merriam Music did a YouTube review of the Donner and he didn't seem super impressed by it, although he said something to the effect that it was better than he expected.

Suggest you consider the Roland FP-30X or FP-10 as well. When I was shopping last year the Kawai was unobtainium and I ended up going with the P-125. I did not see those complaints about the Kawai but I did see them about the Roland. I thought the Roland did have a better feel than the Yamaha, but the clicky action complaints and Yamaha ASIO driver swayed me to the P-125.

Sauzer
Jan 31, 2006
Some Sort of Guy

discoukulele posted:

I've started learning how to play on a little 61-key Casiotone CT-S1 and I've been having a blast. I think that I might be ready to upgrade to something a big more piano-like. I'm really torn between the Kawai ES-110, Yamaha P-125, and Donner DEP-20. The Kawai is currently the one that I'm leaning the most toward, with the Yamaha a close second. But, I've been seeing things online about issues with the keys on the Kawai, specifically with clicking noises on some keys when they rise back up, and side-to-side shift with the black keys. Are these things still an issue?

I recently bought that Kawai and while the keys are audible when they ride back, it’s not that bad at all. You wouldn’t notice it when the speakers are on. I haven’t noticed any issues with the black keys shifting at all.

Albinator
Mar 31, 2010

My FP-10 developed quite a bit of side to side play in some of the black keys after a year or so, with audible clicking. I think it's more on the strike if you don't go straight down than the return. I mostly wear headphones so I don't really notice it, but it's not great when you unplug.

bltzn
Oct 26, 2020

I bought a FP-30X in October and I've been very pleased with it.

oh no computer
May 27, 2003

I bought an FP-10 and one thing I've learned since buying it is that it doesn't support proper half-pedalling (apparently the FP-30 and onwards do). Makes no difference to me at my lovely level but might be worth considering if you need that.

Helianthus Annuus
Feb 21, 2006

can i touch your hand
Grimey Drawer
i had a question for the piano people: has anyone ever played on smaller-than-standard keys? It comes up in this video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZXlknI-Jc48

On piano, its good to have big hands -- its the same on guitar. But in the guitar world, people with smaller hands can always get a short-scale instrument.

The video says that's not really a thing in the piano world. There's only one size, and you get to either love it or leave it (or get in touch with the one guy in the entire world who can make a smaller keyboard). I was surprised to hear that.. I wonder how many people quit because no one wants to make a piano that fits?

TheScott2K
Oct 26, 2003

I'm just saying, there's a nonzero chance Trump has a really toad penis.
I got small hands and nothing's been impossible yet.

Ambihelical Hexnut
Aug 5, 2008
However good you intend to become on the piano, there is a video of a child on YouTube playing 10 times better than that with tiny hands.

bltzn
Oct 26, 2020

TheScott2K posted:

I got small hands and nothing's been impossible yet.

How small? I can just do an 9th on the edges of the keys, and octave runs are nearly impossible with how little margin for error there is. It's like trying to thread a needle.

Hawkperson
Jun 20, 2003

Yeah part of the prob is you can much more easily cart a guitar around; on piano you’re almost always playing someone else’s instrument. I guess this is less common what with covid and YouTubing, but part of muscle memory on piano is how far away your hands move to play xyz more, and the if the keys aren’t standard widths it fucks with that.

Cheap electronic keyboards often have smaller keys though. I have two in my classroom and it’s kind of funny watching kids who clearly have serious training totally gently caress up something they know because the keys are thinner than what they are used to

Beartaco
Apr 10, 2007

by sebmojo
I'm sure I'm not the first dipshit to stumble in here asking this, but does anyone have any experience with those roll up/foldable pianos? They seem like a good (read: cheap) alternative to my current set up which is nothing/a QWERTY keyboard. I figure if I buy one on Aliexpress I won't be disappointed on account of I'd only be paying like $20.

Captain Apollo
Jun 24, 2003

King of the Pilots, CFI
Does it need to be fold up? There are a ton of really great midi keyboard with pads too so you can do drum sounds and play keys at the same time.

Keylab…. M-audio…. Start with those first and see what you think. Hardest decision will be selecting how many keys you want. I find 37 is good for being in the road but 49 would be “no limitations play both hands”

Ani
Jun 15, 2001
illum non populi fasces, non purpura regum / flexit et infidos agitans discordia fratres
Has anyone in this thread played either the Yamaha AvantGrand N1X or the Kawai Novus NV10? I’m hoping to get myself a high end digital piano and I think it’s going to be down to one of those two. I’ve played the N1X once at a shop and I liked it, and I’m trying to find a dealer that sells the Kawai, but curious about others’ experiences, especially anyone who has had one for a while.

blastron
Dec 11, 2007

Don't doodle on it!

I'm looking to get back into playing music after about fifteen years of being out of practice. I learned concert piano as a kid, played that up until high school where I switched to alto sax so that I could be in concert/jazz band. In college I couldn't find a group to play with or any practice space so I basically quit entirely and never really got back into it. I occasionally gently caress around on my keyboard when the mood strikes me but haven't done anything serious or put any effort into practice.

Right before the 'rona hit, a friend called in a favor because he needed a substitute keyboardist for his somewhat-jazzy rock band, and although I was very much in over my head I had a lot of fun. Now that people are pretending that the pandemic is waning, I'm starting to think that I might want to find a way to get back into performing, but since I've got some time before that's a realistic thing to do I'd like to bring myself up to some reasonable level of competency.

Is there a good book of exercises I can follow in order to pick up jazz piano? I've got a decent foundation when it comes to ear training, theory, and improvisation in general, but since it's been years since I've played piano seriously and since my jazz experience was entirely on saxophone I don't have any idea where I could actually start.

Jazz Marimba
Jan 4, 2012

blastron posted:

I'm looking to get back into playing music after about fifteen years of being out of practice. I learned concert piano as a kid, played that up until high school where I switched to alto sax so that I could be in concert/jazz band. In college I couldn't find a group to play with or any practice space so I basically quit entirely and never really got back into it. I occasionally gently caress around on my keyboard when the mood strikes me but haven't done anything serious or put any effort into practice.

Right before the 'rona hit, a friend called in a favor because he needed a substitute keyboardist for his somewhat-jazzy rock band, and although I was very much in over my head I had a lot of fun. Now that people are pretending that the pandemic is waning, I'm starting to think that I might want to find a way to get back into performing, but since I've got some time before that's a realistic thing to do I'd like to bring myself up to some reasonable level of competency.

Is there a good book of exercises I can follow in order to pick up jazz piano? I've got a decent foundation when it comes to ear training, theory, and improvisation in general, but since it's been years since I've played piano seriously and since my jazz experience was entirely on saxophone I don't have any idea where I could actually start.

this is the book. even the title says so. The Jazz Piano Book by Mark Levine. it's legit af, starts with simple voicings and progresses through the development of voicings, talks about the players who developed/popularized them, etc.

blastron
Dec 11, 2007

Don't doodle on it!

Jazz Marimba posted:

this is the book. even the title says so. The Jazz Piano Book by Mark Levine. it's legit af, starts with simple voicings and progresses through the development of voicings, talks about the players who developed/popularized them, etc.

Thanks! The first few chapters seem very solid. Time for learning some II-V-I progressions and refamiliarizing myself with how sheet music works.

Stringent
Dec 22, 2004

image text goes here

blastron posted:

the levine book already mentioned is solid, but beyond that do you have a pianist in mind that you particularly like or a style of jazz you particularly want to play?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

NC Wyeth Death Cult
Dec 30, 2005

He lost his life in Chadds Ford, he was dancing with a train.
Warning: the digital version of the Levine book is an extremely lovely scan where one page is separated into two.