Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Runner-up, TRP Sack Race 2021/22
hope you don't like that person's family very much

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Residency Evil
Jul 28, 2003

4/5 godo... Schumi
AI meets BFC: Car Buying Thread: A used 7-series is okay now!

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

It's basically a 3 series you can stretch out in, bmw is absolutely printing money on the 5 and 7 series

I feel especially attacked by the guy who has bad opinions about couches

KOTEX GOD OF BLOOD
Jul 7, 2012

My used 328 ownership is already a pretty ugly affair. A used 7 series, no thank you

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

you are also from rustland, don't discount that when you hear bay area people with Opinions about cars where it never gets below 40 degrees and they never salt the roads

Inner Light
Jan 2, 2020

KOTEX GOD OF BLOOD posted:

My used 328 ownership is already a pretty ugly affair. A used 7 series, no thank you

Care to share some details about what hasn't gone well for you? My A4 has not been a cakewalk, fuel injectors, multiple wheel bearings, control arm bushings, pinion steering rack weirdness, all well under 100k miles, so I'm curious how the 328i has been. That being said mine is a 2013, so just when German reliability was starting to creep upward.

Inner Light fucked around with this message at 16:38 on Jan 6, 2022

CannonFodder
Jan 26, 2001

Passion’s Wrench

KYOON GRIFFEY JR posted:

just lol if your street parking spaces are marked in any way :wrongcity:

I thought they were marked with lawn chairs this time of year

The Oldest Man
Jul 28, 2003

luminalflux posted:

I’ve got a set on my car and they feel louder and less smooth of a ride than oem tires on highway. That said they’ve done great in the snow and slush here at the ski lodge so far.

Mine had comparable noise and highway ride, better compliance over lovely pavement, and ludicrously better wet and snow/slush grip than the OEMs. That said though, the reason I swapped is because I was really unhappy with the OEM tires so YMMV of course.

zedprime
Jun 9, 2007

yospos
crossclimate 2 look like all season instead of all weather so I'm already only half impressed, but if you put on tires meant for snow and slush and they don't sound like poo poo in dry conditions you either have a top tier luxury sound insulation job or you got ripped off.

The Oldest Man
Jul 28, 2003

zedprime posted:

crossclimate 2 look like all season instead of all weather so I'm already only half impressed, but if you put on tires meant for snow and slush and they don't sound like poo poo in dry conditions you either have a top tier luxury sound insulation job or you got ripped off.

They're a 3PMSF and a good all-around single tire if you don't get enough cold or snow for a winter tire swap, which I don't here.

luminalflux
May 27, 2005

Oh yeah I’m 100% aware that it’s a compromise, these are totally meant to be Bay Area Ski Tires paired with a Subaru to skip chain controls on Donner Pass

Guinness
Sep 15, 2004

I just threw on some CrossClimate2s on my CX-5 (AWD) here in the PNW, right before our cold snap and week of snow. Six days of skiing up in the mountains in heavy snow and several days around town in lingering snow and ice and they've been great. Ride quality and tire noise is no worse than the OEM Toyos I ditched, maybe even slightly better.

Avoiding chain restrictions in the passes was my primary motivator for getting AWD and these tires, and so far so good.

If I lived in a true winter climate I'd probably want a "real" winter tire, especially if 2WD, but so far these have been great in my more moderate climate that mostly does not have lowland snow. I did the two wheel set thing for over a decade on my other RWD car, but with this new one I'm giving the CC2s+AWD a shot for the convenience. Especially since this isn't a sports car that would benefit from true summer tires, either.

And now I get to just leave the summers on my other car. Anyone need a winter wheelset for an E46 in the PNW? :wink:

Guinness fucked around with this message at 22:25 on Jan 6, 2022

KOTEX GOD OF BLOOD
Jul 7, 2012

Inner Light posted:

Care to share some details about what hasn't gone well for you? My A4 has not been a cakewalk, fuel injectors, multiple wheel bearings, control arm bushings, pinion steering rack weirdness, all well under 100k miles, so I'm curious how the 328i has been. That being said mine is a 2013, so just when German reliability was starting to creep upward.
I've owned it since 89k miles / 2019, put 20,000 miles on it so far. Have replaced, off the top of my head:

Steering column
Toe arm
Strut
All control arms and ball joints
Spark plugs & coil packs
2 wheel bearings
All 4 tires, had each of them develop a bubble / go flat and had to replace again, and one cracked rim (suspension on this does not like bigger wheels although these are the ones that came on the car...)

The other day it threw a transfer case. I'm going to try replacing the fluid first but if it's dead, that's a 3-4k repair job and I'll either have to xdelete or sell the fucker.

Inner Light
Jan 2, 2020

I've owned it since 89k miles / 2019, put 20,000 miles on it so far. Have replaced, off the top of my head:

Steering column
Toe arm
Strut
Spark plugs & coil packs
2 wheel bearings
All 4 tires, had each of them develop a bubble / go flat and had to replace again, and one cracked rim (suspension on this does not like bigger wheels although these are the ones that came on the car...)

The other day it threw a transfer case. I'm going to try replacing the fluid first but if it's dead, that's a 3-4k repair job and I'll either have to xdelete or sell the fucker.

Yep that's pretty financially painful, I'm sorry my dude. Sounds like a near worst case of 2000s German ownership, at least the engine didn't blow a piston ring or something. What year is it, 2010 or so?

I have anecdotally heard that 2015 ish onwards it gets a lot better for most owners, but if you buy one you do need to be prepared for a worst case like this, and that will cause a lot of people to pick a boring Honda/Toyota instead.

e: At least it sounds like you are doing much of your own work -- I am not that capable and do not have a suitable garage so I need to go to shops, compounding the financial pain.

KOTEX GOD OF BLOOD
Jul 7, 2012

It's a 2010 and no I'm not doing the work, I don't have a lift or really trust myself although I want to start doing my own work once I own a place and am not renting an apartment.

Luckily the transfer case flush seems to have worked. Also, there are a number of horrific things that could go wrong that haven't (AC compressor, water pump / thermostat, VCG / oil pan gasket, clutch...)

Speaking of 2000s german car ownership, honestly I was hoping for something much less painful than the C5 A6 2.7TT I had before. It's...slightly less painful.

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

KYOON GRIFFEY JR posted:

you are also from rustland, don't discount that when you hear bay area people with Opinions about cars where it never gets below 40 degrees and they never salt the roads

I thought Idaho was where all the salted french fries were manufactured, why on earth would Michigan have salt anywhere near their roads? Is that a major french fry trading post on the way to NYC or something

What is this "rustland" you speak of, it's not showing up on Google maps :confused:

knox_harrington
Feb 18, 2011

Running no point.

Steering column
Toe arm
Strut
Spark plugs & coil packs
2 wheel bearings

Are you just constantly ramming it into potholes?

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

Sounds like he lives 90 miles outside of town on a Canadian logging road

I had to do all those things on my '95 neon, but largely because I was in highschool and had just attempted my first and last "e brake power slide" into the curb outside of my parents house, at about 25mph

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

knox_harrington posted:

Are you just constantly ramming it into potholes?

he lives in Boston so yes, but not on purpose

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

Continually stunned to hear how bad things are in the northeast outside of midtown Manhattan

ethanol
Jul 13, 2007

Boston streets are pure hell on earth

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

What would it cost to get the interior of a classic car redone? Like this:

https://classiccars.com/listings/view/1525460/1953-citroen-traction-avant-for-sale-in-o-fallon-illinois-62269

The car I want to buy is the larger 6 cylinder and mechanically in much better shape etc but it has "original matching" brown "leather fabric" which is period correct but ugly as gently caress

Basically need to recover the two slabby seats up front, and a bench seat in the back (with movable arm rest) plus the VW style totally flat door panels and a few other minor bits, looks like they already redid the headliner etc above the door sills and that all looks good, just want seats and door panels in a similar black stitched vinyl

Is this like a $1000 custom job or a $7000 custom job? Seems like it's right at the edge of my skill set, maybe just beyond, I could probably do the door panels

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

Hadlock posted:

Is this like a $1000 custom job or a $7000 custom job? Seems like it's right at the edge of my skill set, maybe just beyond, I could probably do the door panels

Yes.

Just like paint is a $1000 job or a $7000+ job.

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

How long is string

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

Hadlock posted:

How long is string

Yeah, exactly. It's one of those questions.

Do the seats just need to be recovered? If so, with what? Do covers exist or will they have to be made? If made, are the existing seats in good enough shape to use as a pattern? What material? What stitching?

Do the seats need more than a recover? Metal work? Springs? Just stuffing? How period correct must this be?

And on and on and on with every surface.

You can absolutely get that back seat covered in what looks like a loosely fitting canvas bag for $200 at any place they send NYC taxis for the same treatment. But I bet that's not what you're looking for. You probably also aren't looking for period correct coachbuilder type of work. But that still leaves a ton of variables that include the condition of whatever you're bringing.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

this is absolutely a better question for TA owner forums

in a well actually
Jan 26, 2011

dude, you gotta end it on the rhyme

KYOON GRIFFEY JR posted:

this is absolutely a better question for TA owner forums

I thought suggesting self harm was banned?

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

PCjr sidecar posted:

I thought suggesting self harm was banned?

OP already wants to buy a TA and is advocating preowned 7 series, they clearly get off on it

ethanol
Jul 13, 2007

When I hear TA I think transam and picture op in a ‘87

CornHolio
May 20, 2001

Toilet Rascal
I'm half-assed thinking about replacing my Challenger, and am considering an Audi Allroad. (Not that one, but one kinda like it - same generation). AWD, wagon, reasonably high tech - those are the key things I'm looking for in my next daily driver. Not happening anytime soon (unless something happens to my Challenger) but is there any reason why it would be a terrible idea? I don't know a lot about newer Audis, just horror stories about older ones.

(Also on the short list are Volvo V70s and V90s but they're a lot more money and the nearest dealership is two hours away. There is at least an Audi dealership locally. Still on the list, though.

CornHolio fucked around with this message at 17:29 on Jan 10, 2022

in a well actually
Jan 26, 2011

dude, you gotta end it on the rhyme

CornHolio posted:

I'm half-assed thinking about replacing my Challenger, and am considering an Audi Allroad. (Not that one, but one kinda like it - same generation). AWD, wagon, reasonably high tech - those are the key things I'm looking for in my next daily driver. Not happening anytime soon (unless something happens to my Challenger) but is there any reason why it would be a terrible idea? I don't know a lot about newer Audis, just horror stories about older ones.

(Also on the short list are Volvo V70s and V90s but they're a lot more money and the nearest dealership is two hours away. There is at least an Audi dealership locally. Still on the list, though.

If you’re thinking about buying a used audi (or volvo) and dealer proximity is something you’re considering, you shouldn’t buy a used audi or volvo.

CornHolio
May 20, 2001

Toilet Rascal

PCjr sidecar posted:

If you’re thinking about buying a used audi (or volvo) and dealer proximity is something you’re considering, you shouldn’t buy a used audi or volvo.

If it's just a couple of years old and needs either warranty work or recall work, that's where the concern comes in. There are plenty of 'European Car' shops around here and I even trust a couple of them, but they're not going to do warranty work.

The nearest Volvo dealership is 101 miles from my home. There's an Audi dealership literally in town. I do think this is something that should be incorporated into my thinking.

CornHolio fucked around with this message at 17:50 on Jan 10, 2022

Mustache Ride
Sep 11, 2001

Buy the best wagon

CornHolio
May 20, 2001

Toilet Rascal

I kind of feel like I need to turn in my AI card now because for the same price, I actually like the Volvo more than that Jaguar.

Mustache Ride
Sep 11, 2001

I mean, the Jag's colors aren't the best in that link. I went and drove a new and used V90 and compared it to a XF S sedan (couldn't find a wagon anywhere to test drive) before I purchased the Jag out of state with the right colors, blue exterior and brown/tan interior. The interior of the modern Volvos are nice, but I felt the materials in the Jag were better and didn't feel so IKEA spartan. Also, the screen in the Jag was much smaller (which is a positive for me) and I liked the physical buttons for the AC vs the screen for the Volvo. Oh, and the supercharged V6 was a hoot vs the turbo 4 in the Volvo. Pretty sure I made the right choice in wagons. But hey, just buy a wagon dude, get in this dying segment.

Inner Light
Jan 2, 2020

CornHolio posted:

I kind of feel like I need to turn in my AI card now because for the same price, I actually like the Volvo more than that Jaguar.

FWIW I have a decent amount of experience with Audi (have owned one for several years and driven several service loaners) and I would recommend them. I do not think the internet wisdom about reliability is much more of an issue than any mainsream brand when you talk 2017+ MY. What is true is that when you will need service, the parts/labor will be ~25-50% more, but if the gods smile upon you it won't be much more often than if you bought a Camry.

Modern Audis are nice and solid, it's a good brand, and their corporate design language is up there with the top of any mainstream make right now. BMW ruined it with the nostrils.

BMW M340i is still probably a more compelling package than an S4, though, even with the nostrils. That's my favorite realistic dream car right now.

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

ethanol posted:

When I hear TA I think transam and picture op in a ‘87

Business up front, party out the back, fellas

My wife is forcing the family to move cross country, this is the most ridiculous concession prize I could come up with*

I did look at a number of '77 Camaro/Trans Am-s (my dad's car when I was a child) but a 70 year old French car seems way waaaaay more passive aggressive

*I'm very open with her about this, and she thinks it looks cool so I guess it works for both of us

I have a virtual test drive lined up for later this week in France

davecrazy
Nov 25, 2004

I'm an insufferable shitposter who does not deserve to root for such a good team. Also, this is what Matt Harvey thinks of me and my garbage posting.
Picked up my new Durango SRT 392 today. It was missing one of the fender badges from the factory.

Also the dealer didn't install the aluminum pedals but that was them being lazy, at least the petals were with the car.

Not quite as bad as the guy with the hellcat who got the SXT instrument cluster or the other guy who had a Vice White car and a White Knuckle bumper but the QC at the factory went to poo poo the past few months.

nm
Jan 28, 2008

"I saw Minos the Space Judge holding a golden sceptre and passing sentence upon the Martians. There he presided, and around him the noble Space Prosecutors sought the firm justice of space law."

CornHolio posted:

I suspect these are two of the three least reliable modern wagons

Oh look, the third

-----
Honestly, the non-AMG E class is weirdly the sane choice.

davecrazy posted:

Picked up my new Durango SRT 392 today. It was missing one of the fender badges from the factory.

Also the dealer didn't install the aluminum pedals but that was them being lazy, at least the petals were with the car.

Not quite as bad as the guy with the hellcat who got the SXT instrument cluster or the other guy who had a Vice White car and a White Knuckle bumper but the QC at the factory went to poo poo the past few months.
Do those have the same yellow bumper tape?
Also, lol MOPAR.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

davecrazy
Nov 25, 2004

I'm an insufferable shitposter who does not deserve to root for such a good team. Also, this is what Matt Harvey thinks of me and my garbage posting.
No, no shipping protector on the chin spoiler.

Also today I learned that the Durango Hellcat oil change is $200plus because you have to take a portion of the bumper off to access the oil cooler drainplug a "feature" it shares with the Jeep Trackhawk.