Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

The Postman
May 12, 2007

thehoodie posted:

should i buy smtv or monster hunter? i can't decide

Would they both be your first introduction to the series? If so, people tend to bounce off of Monster Hunter.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

thehoodie
Feb 8, 2011

"Eat something made with love and joy - and be forgiven"
Nah I have played and enjoyed both series! That's why it's such a hard decision!

Ragequit
Jun 1, 2006

Lipstick Apathy

thehoodie posted:

You can't spam encouraging stickers and messages to randos and become a dagger tornado (or whatever weapon floats your boat) in smtv so I think the answer is clear.

I haven't played smtv but MH: Rise is an absolute blast

KingSlime
Mar 20, 2007
Wake up with the Kin-OH GOD WHAT IS THAT?!
You should get both but if I had to choose one right now I think monster hunter is a little snappier/more visceral with the real time combat and has a big multiplayer focus that you can dive into or ignore completely. Just more rounded out experience whereas SMTV is laser focused

It's a toss-up though and you definitely should get SMTV when you can

Stux
Nov 17, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 39 hours!

thehoodie posted:

as someone double dipping for rise in a few days: smtv

KingSlime
Mar 20, 2007
Wake up with the Kin-OH GOD WHAT IS THAT?!
Both are absolute switch GOATs for fans of either series

thehoodie
Feb 8, 2011

"Eat something made with love and joy - and be forgiven"
Yea I think I'll get SMTV now and then pick up monhun closer to when the xpac comes out this summer. Thanks goons! Happy gaming

Just Andi Now
Nov 8, 2009

EvilJoven posted:

I turned on motion controls in Splatoon and BOTW and am trying to get used to it.

When we first got a Nintendo in the late 80s it was all 'lmao grandpa you don't flick the controller to do stuff you press the buttons!' and now it's all 'lmao grandpa you turn the controller to aim don't use the sticks'

A little note about the motion controls since Splatoon and BOTW handle gyro differently:

BOTW uses the right stick to aim and the gyro for extra precision. The gyro resets whenever you enter a mode that lets you aim, but whenever you're not aiming, you use the right stick to control the camera.

Splatoon uses the right stick to turn and the gyro to aim. This is why right stick doesn't let you move it up and down. The gyro always controls the camera, so it has a dedicated reset button. (The exception being that the gyro also resets whenever you super jump because it takes camera control away from you).

Also I think both games do the thing where the camera slowly rotates to match your walking direction unless you're doing certain actions. Splatoon definitely does that, not sure about BOTW.

Commander Keene
Dec 21, 2016

Faster than the others

BOTW doesn't, at least not that I've noticed. If you use ZL to reset your camera on a horse it will start "following" Link, but not on foot, which is a mystifying decision to me.

Google Butt
Oct 4, 2005

Xenology is an unnatural mixture of science fiction and formal logic. At its core is a flawed assumption...

that an alien race would be psychologically human.

hello I purchased smt v as my first switch rpg thank you

Ineptitude
Mar 2, 2010

Heed my words and become a master of the Heart (of Thorns).
Bought a switch for the kids (4, 7) and partially myself for christmas.

We've been playing Mario Party 9 on the Wii for a year and they have had a lot of fun so i figured i'd upgrade into a more future proof system.

Bought Mario Party Superstars with the Switch, and much to our dismay it is not possible to only play as 3 players, you must include a 4th (Which in our case will be the CPU). The kids are reluctant to play the game as they are afraid of the CPU player. Bit of a shame really, for the time being the Switch is just a paperweight.

mandatory lesbian
Dec 18, 2012
There is no worse feeling then losing to the cpu, the kids are right to fear it

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

🚣RowboatMan: ❄️Freezing time🕰️ is an old P.I. 🥧trick...

Ineptitude posted:

We've been playing Mario Party 9 on the Wii for a year and they have had a lot of fun so i figured i'd upgrade into a more future proof system.

Bought Mario Party Superstars with the Switch, and much to our dismay it is not possible to only play as 3 players, you must include a 4th (Which in our case will be the CPU). The kids are reluctant to play the game as they are afraid of the CPU player. Bit of a shame really, for the time being the Switch is just a paperweight.

I could be wrong but don't most MP games in the franchise force 4 players total for playing the boards?

Jezza of OZPOS
Mar 21, 2018

GET LOSE❌🗺️, YOUS CAN'T COMPARE😤 WITH ME 💪POWERS🇦🇺

mandatory lesbian posted:

There is no worse feeling then losing to the cpu, the kids are right to fear it

16-bit Butt-Head
Dec 25, 2014

Ineptitude posted:

im not sure about superstars but aren't you able to set the CPU to very easy so that it wont be a problem? there is nothing to fear about the very easy CPU player...

Fun Times!
Dec 26, 2010
I'm guessing it's some child development source of fear of playing with an unknown "player" rather than the difficulty of the bot

16-bit Butt-Head
Dec 25, 2014
we must all eventually face our fear of the CPU wario

Dr. Cool Aids
Jul 6, 2009
Having one CPU can be a bonding exercise as you all vow to screw them over

Winning in Mario Party is fickle but it should always be a human

Takoluka
Jun 26, 2009

Don't look at me!

EvilJoven posted:

I turned on motion controls in Splatoon and BOTW and am trying to get used to it.

When we first got a Nintendo in the late 80s it was all 'lmao grandpa you don't flick the controller to do stuff you press the buttons!' and now it's all 'lmao grandpa you turn the controller to aim don't use the sticks'

You use the sticks for movement and the gyro aim for precision. The reason people hate gyro a lot of the time is because they believe for reasons unknown that it's meant to completely replace analog stick control instead of complementing it.

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

🚣RowboatMan: ❄️Freezing time🕰️ is an old P.I. 🥧trick...

Takoluka posted:

You use the sticks for movement and the gyro aim for precision. The reason people hate gyro a lot of the time is because they believe for reasons unknown that it's meant to completely replace analog stick control instead of complementing it.

Exactly.

Use the stick to aim at the bad guy.

Use gyro to shoot him in the head or dick.

:shrug:

EvilJoven
Mar 18, 2005

NOBODY,IN THE HISTORY OF EVER, HAS ASKED OR CARED WHAT CANADA THINKS. YOU ARE NOT A COUNTRY. YOUR MONEY HAS THE QUEEN OF ENGLAND ON IT. IF YOU DIG AROUND IN YOUR BACKYARD, NATIVE SKELETONS WOULD EXPLODE OUT OF YOUR LAWN LIKE THE END OF POLTERGEIST. CANADA IS SO POLITE, EH?
Fun Shoe
Ya I figured that out from the start but I'm still at the "aim in general direction then point gun into the sky" point.

I grew up being able to hold the controller at whatever weird angle lets you get the most comfortable on the couch/floor and suddenly it matters wtf.

mistermojo
Jul 3, 2004

wheres picross s7... it said January 10th... its not even upcoming in the eshop

magimix
Dec 31, 2003

MY FAT WAIFU!!! :love:
She's fetish efficient :3:

Nap Ghost

mistermojo posted:

If it goes anything like the UK release, it'll continue to not show, even in upcoming, until it is just suddenly there, 16+ hours into its release 'day'. No I'm not sore at all :colbert:

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
hey Origami King is really charming so far. i did notice that compared to what i've seen of prior games (especially Super Paper Mario, which i actually really liked and i think would be perfect as a portable game without the motion controls) there's a bit less obviously internet-inspired humor than i've seen in the past which is nice.

the combat is uh, existent.

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames
Can’t you just set it to 4 players and everyone just take turns moving the 4th guy?

Fun Times!
Dec 26, 2010
Yeah till older sibling uses their extra turn to screw over younger sibling. Then it's not fair any more

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
unfair bullshit???? in mario party?????

:v:

16-bit Butt-Head
Dec 25, 2014
there are no winners in mario party

Spacebump
Dec 24, 2003

Dallas Mavericks: Generations

16-bit Butt-Head posted:

there are no winners in mario party

Sounds like somebody never won

Stux
Nov 17, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 39 hours!

Takoluka posted:

they dont

American McGay
Feb 28, 2010

by sebmojo

mistermojo posted:

https://twitter.com/Wario64/status/1480595794113622016?t=szgfUP42FvR_STAxltSYCw&s=19

mistermojo
Jul 3, 2004

very nice, its time to do nothing but obsessively play picross for the next week

Stux
Nov 17, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 39 hours!
to those about to picross, we salute you

Inzombiac
Mar 19, 2007

PARTY ALL NIGHT

EAT BRAINS ALL DAY

I want to buy Arceus just to show Nintendo that it is the right direction to move for the series but it looks kinda bad.

grieving for Gandalf
Apr 22, 2008

it's gonna be trash. it's going to sell the most units in Nintendo history

American McGay
Feb 28, 2010

by sebmojo

Inzombiac posted:

I want to buy Arceus just to show Nintendo that it is the right direction to move for the series but it looks kinda bad.
No company has ever been influenced by your purchasing decision. Buy stuff you want to play and that makes your life more enjoyable. Also stay off Twitter and YouTube.

16-bit Butt-Head
Dec 25, 2014

American McGay posted:

No company has ever been influenced by your purchasing decision. Buy stuff you want to play and that makes your life more enjoyable. Also stay off Twitter and YouTube.

The Anime Liker
Aug 8, 2009

by VideoGames

American McGay posted:

stay off Twitter

16-bit Butt-Head
Dec 25, 2014
give nintendo money

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Social Animal
Nov 1, 2005

How's that Blizzard classic bundle? I only care about Lost Vikings, is there anything weird with the port?