Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

CaptainSarcastic
Jul 6, 2013

Since I'm an American I wear shoes indoors, and my feet are one thing the pandemic hasn't really affected.

In fairness, though, when I say "shoes," I mean Birkenstocks and socks, which is what I wear all the time anyway, so my feet were pretty happy to begin with.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

nnnotime
Sep 30, 2001

Hesitate, and you will be lost.
Are there any treatments or technologies in the works that will halt or greatly reduce the transmission of Covid? Besides staying away from people, which is not possible for everyone? Hopefully something that can be implemented soon, and not over several years.

mrfart
May 26, 2004

Dear diary, today I
became a captain.

CaptainSarcastic posted:

Since I'm an American I wear shoes indoors, and my feet are one thing the pandemic hasn't really affected.

In fairness, though, when I say "shoes," I mean Birkenstocks and socks, which is what I wear all the time anyway, so my feet were pretty happy to begin with.

My wife lived in Japan, and wearing shoes in the house was loving weird to her. So I made the switch to slip-ons when she moved in, and I can't really imagine wearing shoes inside the house anymore.
It also saves a lot of time on cleaning.

CaptainSarcastic
Jul 6, 2013

nnnotime posted:

Are there any treatments or technologies in the works that will halt or greatly reduce the transmission of Covid? Besides staying away from people, which is not possible for everyone? Hopefully something that can be implemented soon, and not over several years.

mrfart posted:

My wife lived in Japan, and wearing shoes in the house was loving weird to her. So I made the switch to slip-ons when she moved in, and I can't really imagine wearing shoes inside the house anymore.
It also saves a lot of time on cleaning.

Yeah, I've done the not wearing shoes in the house thing in the past, but for years now my places have been compromised enough one way or another I got out of the habit. I still have friends where I take my shoes off when I go in to their places, and when I'm in a place like a Buddhist temple I'm used to taking my shoes off at the door. In my own place kids and animals have made the carpet a disaster anyway so I don't worry about it.

Jestery
Aug 2, 2016

Not a Dickman, just a shape
So bit of levity

I got double cleared and released from isolation yesterday and for my first venture into the wilds in two weeks my partner asked me to pop to the shops and pick up an order of theirs

On the bike ride down I had a bug fly into my mouth , or I popped a blood vessel in the back of my throat and I had to pump hard to keep up with traffic

I get off my bike at the front of the shops and nearly doubled over from the irritation of inhaling, however, puffed from riding I was gulping air and couldn't help but have a massive coughing fit

Here I am coughing my guts out, nearly throwing up, disgusting tens of people

As sure as anyone can possibly be they do not have covid

greazeball
Feb 4, 2003

nnnotime posted:

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

nnnotime posted:

There's some promising nasal vaccines coming up, some good anti-viral pills (and some scary "the cure can't be worse than the disease" anti-viral pills I'd be super wary about) and some multi-variant-specific mRNA vaccines. Of course local availability depends on approval, production timeline and $$$$$$$$$$ but they'll be out there

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

nnnotime posted:

Yes, N95 masks

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

If you ask me about the mole people in the London Underground, I WILL be forced to kill you
Fun Shoe

Snowglobe of Doom posted:

First of all Australia's population is under 80% vaxxed. It's weird that people keep pretending that children don't exist. We're also less than 15% boosted.

Second of all death isn't the only possible negative outcome of a covid infection

Thirdly, Australia's hospitals are already starting to struggle and if they get overwhelmed there'll be a carry on effect on all the other illnesses and injuries which occur which usually require hospital intervention.

Your cost/benefit analysis left out a lot of the costs.

It's not my cost/benefit analysis, I was making a point about why governments are abandoning zero covid.

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

goddamnedtwisto posted:

It's not my cost/benefit analysis, I was making a point about why governments are abandoning zero covid.

My point still stands regardless of who made the analysis. :shrug:

Marmaduke!
May 19, 2009

Why would it do that!?
Weird situation with a colleague, other than a runny nose she had no symptoms or discomfort and she tested positive on LFT on Wednesday. Then she ordered a PCR test that arrived Friday which gave a positive result.

But our work health and safety are having her isolate for a full 10 days after the PCR test. So she'll have been off work 11/12 days and back in next Tuesday when the UK requirement is 7 days (and that's longer than some other countries of course). I guess some we should be grateful for our employer looking after our health (although she will trigger absence management policy from the time off lol).

GRECOROMANGRABASS
May 14, 2020

That's interesting. OTOH, I don't believe I have known a woman that hasn't had irregular / heavy / "gently caress it, kill me now" periods from time to time. I imagine if you sampled millions of people given a breath mint, and followed up with them for adverse reactions for a while, you'd have all kinds of crazy poo poo attributed to the breath mint, no?

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

GRECOROMANGRABASS posted:

That's interesting. OTOH, I don't believe I have known a woman that hasn't had irregular / heavy / "gently caress it, kill me now" periods from time to time. I imagine if you sampled millions of people given a breath mint, and followed up with them for adverse reactions for a while, you'd have all kinds of crazy poo poo attributed to the breath mint, no?

No.

My wife’s was like 2 weeks early after the shot and that’s never happened to her as far as she can remand definitely hasn’t happened in the two years she’s been tracking it via an app.

It definitely does something weird.

Kaal
May 22, 2002

through thousands of posts in D&D over a decade, I now believe I know what I'm talking about. if I post forcefully and confidently, I can convince others that is true. no one sees through my facade.
I think it will be very difficult to differentiate the novel impact of symptomatic Covid / vaccination on erratic periods versus the correlating impact of physiological stress on erratic periods.

Involuntary Sparkle
Aug 12, 2004

Chemo-kitties can have “accidents” too!

GRECOROMANGRABASS posted:

Anecdotally, I haven't really had a period in years because of having sequential IUDs, but I did get a light one after the second dose, which was really odd to me.

Also for exercise, we bought a Peloton and adjustable dumbbells. Lived in a 5th floor apartment at the time. Adore the Peloton because it's the first indoor cardio that I've ever been able to stick with and enjoy, as an ADHD-haver.

liz
Nov 4, 2004

Stop listening to the static.

Kaal posted:

I think it will be very difficult to differentiate the novel impact of symptomatic Covid / vaccination on erratic periods versus the correlating impact of physiological stress on erratic periods.

This too. If it’s not the actual booster, then it’s definitely all the stress from dodging Covid multiple times before Christmas and not being able to spend it with more family.

GreenaBoy
Jan 7, 2005

I like to fart in the bathtub and bite the bubbles...GRAVITAS!!!

mom and dad fight a lot posted:

I'm sorry to hear about your Dad. :(

When my late grandmother died, they streamed it on youtube. The funeral service likely has something similar.

If it were me, I wouldn't want to go into an (almost certainly) infected home, and I'd hope my family would understand why.

There's a streaming service going to be available for it. The Family was trying to get me over for a dinner. And I was told if I have my anxiety there's Xanax and Kolonopin available. So that kinda tells me nobody is really thinking much.

mrfart posted:

Sorry to hear all that.
It’s not your fault and your family seems to be very callous about preventing disease.
I don’t know how they would react to someone who takes all the necessary measures. If it’s just to get into arguments over whether a disease is real or some stupid stuff, then it’s not really worth it I guess. You have to think about your own wife/kid first.
Hopefully you can at least stream and talk to family online. Or they wouldn’t agree to that?

Most of my family are Mormon or Republicans and are always in some sort of denial phase when something tragic happens. Since I don't do the Mormon thing anymore I'm kinda ostracized from the family. There's a more story there I wrote in other threads before. The fact I came to Utah was all built up mormon guilt hoping to reconnect.

The big deal right for them is getting legal paperwork signed(I swear I can do this online) and have me go through her house to help tag things for an estate sale because she has no income now. And I got major guilt I need to be a lead pallbearer.

I think I have my mind made up that I am not going to that house, I'm probably not going to the services but I might go to the burial but not carry.

Even typing that sounds stupid and I should drive the 14 hours home hug my cat and watch cartoons.

I've been in a hotel for 2 days that's only 10 minutes away from them and haven't seen anybody. There's no middle ground for them honestly and I need to cut my losses even if it is my biological family.

cat botherer
Jan 6, 2022

I am interested in most phases of data processing.

GreenaBoy posted:

There's a streaming service going to be available for it. The Family was trying to get me over for a dinner. And I was told if I have my anxiety there's Xanax and Kolonopin available. So that kinda tells me nobody is really thinking much.

Most of my family are Mormon or Republicans and are always in some sort of denial phase when something tragic happens. Since I don't do the Mormon thing anymore I'm kinda ostracized from the family. There's a more story there I wrote in other threads before. The fact I came to Utah was all built up mormon guilt hoping to reconnect.

The big deal right for them is getting legal paperwork signed(I swear I can do this online) and have me go through her house to help tag things for an estate sale because she has no income now. And I got major guilt I need to be a lead pallbearer.

I think I have my mind made up that I am not going to that house, I'm probably not going to the services but I might go to the burial but not carry.

Even typing that sounds stupid and I should drive the 14 hours home hug my cat and watch cartoons.

I've been in a hotel for 2 days that's only 10 minutes away from them and haven't seen anybody. There's no middle ground for them honestly and I need to cut my losses even if it is my biological family.
It sounds like the idea of visiting is making you anxious and unhappy because of COVID and many other pretty good reasons. I bet your cat would be genuinely happy to see you, though. lovely family just isn't worth it, and you don't owe them anything.

Scarodactyl
Oct 22, 2015

(and some scary "the cure can't be worse than the disease" anti-viral pills I'd be super wary about)
What so you have in mind here?

teen witch
Oct 9, 2012
My period has become progressively heavier, longer and much more painful since the second Pfizer shot in Sept. however, I’m using that date as when it started, not “this is directly related to the vaccine” as there’s a history of fibroids in family.

Regardless, a lot of people had their periods go wacky post second shot. I’m still getting boosted as soon as humanly possible unless if it is a genuine, significant risk factor to my health, which I’m skeptical will happen.

I don’t want to rule out the vaccine making my period weird but I’m not going to give into “periods are just always weird!” either.

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

Scarodactyl posted:

What so you have in mind here?

I couldn't remember the name at the time but it was the mutagenic molnupiravir, which doesn't have a great level of efficiency anyway but also has a high risk of nasty side effects.

Rotacixe
Oct 21, 2008

nnnotime posted:

There are some nasal inhibitor sprays in the works and some already being sold. These all require frequent application. Might be a nice thing to have for vulnerable populations who can't mount an effective immune response.

https://twitter.com/EricTopol/status/1475899088616898567

https://www.timesofisrael.com/life-saving-nose-spray-that-kills-99-9-of-viruses-begins-production-in-israel/

Scarodactyl
Oct 22, 2015

I couldn't remember the name at the time but it was the mutagenic molnupiravir, which doesn't have a great level of efficiency anyway but also has a high risk of nasty side effects.
This seems ill informed. In the actual trial there were no side effects at all (more reported in the placebo wing than the treatment wing). Aside from prudently not giving it to women who are pregnant or may become pregnant it doesn't seem to be a serious risk in the real world.

mrfart
May 26, 2004

Dear diary, today I
became a captain.

GreenaBoy posted:

It’s interesting that a conservative family has no problems taking Xanax and benzos to fight legit anxiety over an extremely infectious virus. But will probably not want to take more basic precautions to prevent spreading the virus? I see this all the time in people. One thing is normal, another completely laughable, because… reasons.

Anyway, it’s your call. Do you think your family would be legit happy to see you? Or is it just for practical reasons they need you. Or would they maybe chalk it up for a win on their side that you caved? Would they accept you wearing n95 masks or something at the funeral?
Don’t go just out of guild. gently caress guild.

GreenaBoy
Jan 7, 2005

I like to fart in the bathtub and bite the bubbles...GRAVITAS!!!

cat botherer posted:

It sounds like the idea of visiting is making you anxious and unhappy because of COVID and many other pretty good reasons. I bet your cat would be genuinely happy to see you, though. lovely family just isn't worth it, and you don't owe them anything.

I really needed to hear this from all of you. Thank you I just needed some logical perspective.

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

Scarodactyl posted:

This seems ill informed. In the actual trial there were no side effects at all (more reported in the placebo wing than the treatment wing). Aside from prudently not giving it to women who are pregnant or may become pregnant it doesn't seem to be a serious risk in the real world.

Yeah they put a few more restrictions than that on the trial participants:

quote:

Participants in the trial could not be pregnant or breastfeeding, and those of childbearing potential had to abstain from heterosexual sex or use highly effective contraception for 28 days from the start of study intervention. Individuals taking part in the study were also required to refrain from donating sperm.

Here's one paper discussing its potential host mutational activity: https://academic.oup.com/jid/article/224/3/415/6272009

A whole bunch of experts have already spoken out about its potential to cause cancerous growths and birth defects. France was so concerned they canceled their order for the drug and India was reconsidering whether they would approve it.

Snowglobe of Doom fucked around with this message at 17:51 on Jan 10, 2022

liz
Nov 4, 2004

Stop listening to the static.
Well someone in our office tested positive last week, luckily my team wasn’t there thanks to the collective bitching by my coworker and I to WFH for a couple weeks. Mission accomplished for now?

Scarodactyl
Oct 22, 2015

Actual animal testing (as opposed to cell assays) at high doses didn't seem to show mutagenic effects. There's a nice summary at https://www.science.org/content/blog-post/molnupiravir-mutations
That's not to say it would be without risks but a lot of the concerns seem overblown vs what we've actually seen in testing and what the risks of covid are, particularly in the target demographic for this kind of treatment.

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

Scarodactyl posted:

Actual animal testing (as opposed to cell assays) at high doses didn't seem to show mutagenic effects. There's a nice summary at https://www.science.org/content/blog-post/molnupiravir-mutations
That's not to say it would be without risks but a lot of the concerns seem overblown vs what we've actually seen in testing and what the risks of covid are, particularly in the target demographic for this kind of treatment.

quote:

But for that reason, I would still hesitate to see molnupiravir used in pregnant women or those likely to become pregnant during their exposure - or, for that matter, in children (although that fortunately would seem to be a rare event). I have not seen teratogenicity data for the drug, but the assays to predict the risk of birth defects are sometimes difficult to interpret. The antiviral drug favipiravir also works through RNA mutation buildup by targeting the RNA polymerase, although much less potently than does molnupiravir, and it is known to be teratogenic. It's been approved in Japan, but with restrictions on its antiviral use for just that reason. I would not be surprised to see the FDA put similar limits on molnupiravir. Many of the intended patients will be past childbearing age, which will help.
This is supposed to be the 'nice' article which allays our fears? loving hell.
E: I see you also ignored my point that France decided it wasn't worth the risk and India might also go that way

Snowglobe of Doom fucked around with this message at 18:16 on Jan 10, 2022

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

If you ask me about the mole people in the London Underground, I WILL be forced to kill you
Fun Shoe
More numbers from Plague City, capital of Plague Island (not bothering to paste the graphs, you can go to https://coronavirus.data.gov.uk/details/cases?areaType=region&areaName=London if you want to see them).

- Cases slightly down (21k to 20k)
- Positivity slightly down (31% to 30%)
- Hospitalisations (with, not from) *sharply* down (456 to 366)
- Patients on ventilators slightly down (236 to 225)
- Deaths (with, not of) slightly up (but that number is slightly unreliable due to reporting delays introducing noise)

All numbers are for the last available complete day compared to 7 days previous.

So this disease continues to be a right pain for anyone making confident predictions as it manages to do the one thing nobody predicted and just sort of sustaining at one level rather than hurtling skywards or just disappearing. There now follows some completely unjustifiable wild guessing about What It All Means.

First of all I strongly suspect the hospitalisations are a red herring caused by staff shortages meaning elective procedures are being cancelled left right and centre - I always suspected that the majority of the rise we were seeing were just people discovering they had it when going in with mince pie poisoning, tinsel allergies, and arses stuck in photocopiers - the normal things that pack out hospitals over December. It'd be nice if they also released a total admissions number to compare.

The ventilator number still baffles me because it's stayed just *so* constant. It rose and fell with Delta but I'd have expected Omicron and its wily ways would have found its way to vulnerable people by now and be putting them in hospital and on ventilators by now even if it *was* much less severe for other people. John Burn-Murdoch theorised before Christmas that the apparent lack of severity was because care homes were successfully insulating the vulnerable but that seems wildly optimistic about the state of care homes, and also the rise in the 80+ has been just as sharp as other populations. Having said that, all other regions of the NHS (all with older populations) are showing sharp *declines* in vent numbers despite all being 2+ weeks in to their Omicron waves. It's very, very strange.

What I think might be happening is that the timing of Christmas, New Years, and return to work, which of course would see many people mixing with three completely different groups (family, friends/neighbours/colleagues) has boosted up the transmission numbers just as they would otherwise be falling, but I freely admit that's pure Just-So storytelling on my part. The way to check my theory is to track the case numbers in the South West which are still on the way up, having started two weeks behind London (pfft, yokels are always behind the times) and see if they start to drop off at the same time as London does.

(If London keeps up this level of new cases until the end of the week, by the way, 10% of the population will have tested positive since the beginning of December)

Scarodactyl
Oct 22, 2015

This is supposed to be the 'nice' article which allays our fears? loving hell.
As before, those are all potential issues specific to women who are or may become pregnant. It seems unlikely that it is a significant safety hazard for other demographics, and particularly not for those most likely to be hospitalized or die of covid. The big question still outstanding is why the interim readout was so much better thsn the final readout--maybe delta, maybe a whopping statistical anomaly, but it does make one wonder what its real world efficacy would be like. If the final 30% result held up it could make a difference but I think eveeyone is wondering if the real world efficacy might be lower still.

As to national policies there are a lot of factors that go into them beyond the strictly scientific.

brugroffil
Nov 30, 2015

https://twitter.com/thedailybeast/status/1480560092646940674

Mozi
Apr 4, 2004

Forms change so fast
Time is moving past
Memory is smoke
Gonna get wider when I die
Nap Ghost
please tell all the conservatives in your life to please not drink their own pee because if they do it will bust the myth of covid wide open

greazeball
Feb 4, 2003

We thought the secret was safe. We thought no one would try it. The one way to defeat covid and own the libs all at once.

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007
An alright dude.
Hey what's a good resource for buying N95s? I have some KN95s but I wanted to get actual N95s I've not had a luck finding them.

Colonel Cancer
Sep 26, 2015

Tune into the fireplace channel, you absolute buffoon
Those foolish pee drinkers! They don't know that anti-covid properties are only activated when you eat poop AND chase it with pee!

Pulvis Sumus
Jul 27, 2011

Hollismason posted:

Hey what's a good resource for buying N95s? I have some KN95s but I wanted to get actual N95s I've not had a luck finding them.

I've had good experiences buying mine from https://bonafidemasks.com/.

mom and dad fight a lot
Sep 21, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 26 days!
I have tons of research showing my pee will cure COVID. I will sell it to you for a modest price of $100/pint.

Don't take the chance. Get the good stuff.

naem
May 29, 2011

Mozi posted:

please tell all the conservatives in your life to please not drink their own pee because if they do it will bust the myth of covid wide open

tell definitely not to do it live and on camera

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jigsaw
Aug 14, 2008

The Trump Cure™ the piss cure is real