Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Harold Fjord
Jan 3, 2004
You're functionally leaving an equal share of your estate to each individual and then trying to stipulate how they can further bequeath on their own deaths. This probably violates the rule against perpetuities but I'm no loving lawyer.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bad Munki
Nov 4, 2008

We're all mad here.

Well what kind of lawyer are you then?

Nonexistence
Jan 6, 2014
The law generally disfavors this, unless it is done with samurai swords, in which case it is totally badass

Foxfire_
Nov 8, 2010

I think you can have your will require the heirs to spend a week in your mansion filled with weapons on your otherwise uninhabited island cut off from the outside world prior to dividing the assets. Let nature take its course

Skunkduster
Jul 15, 2005

Foxfire_ posted:

I think you can have your will require the heirs to spend a week in your mansion filled with weapons on your otherwise uninhabited island cut off from the outside world prior to dividing the assets. Let nature take its course

Can I have my will require that the extended family be split up into teams to go on a kooky scavenger hunt with the winning team earning the rights to all my crap?

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

YOu can put anything you want into a will.

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

Harold Fjord posted:

You're functionally leaving an equal share of your estate to each individual and then trying to stipulate how they can further bequeath on their own deaths. This probably violates the rule against perpetuities but I'm no loving lawyer.

the rule against perpetuities generally allows you to require how your heirs do things with their heirs, its once you get into trying to control your heir's heir's too much, or your heirs heirs heirs you will almost certainly trip it

at least under the classical formulation which i understand has been abolished entirely in one of the godforsaken states, i think south dakota, which now allows perpetuities

Outrail
Jan 4, 2009

www.sapphicrobotica.com
:roboluv: :love: :roboluv:
So you can force your heirs to fight Bird With a Big Dick to the death for your beanie baby collection, but it has to be in South Dakota? Seems a little cruel.

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound

quote:

Tontines are still common in France.[2] They can be issued by European insurers under the Directive 2002/83/EC of the European Parliament.[3] The Pan-European Pension Regulation passed by the European Commission in 2019 also contains provisions that specifically permit next-generation pension products that abide by the "tontine principle" to be offered in the 27 EU member states

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tontine

Nice piece of fish
Jan 29, 2008

Ultra Carp

No thanks, I'm not hungry for canadian potatoes and gravy rn

Knot My President!
Jan 10, 2005

My gf is a 1L right now. Are there any resources y'all recommend for someone who is looking to get the most out of their education / thrive?

BigHead
Jul 25, 2003
Huh?

Nap Ghost

Knot My President! posted:

My gf is a 1L right now. Are there any resources y'all recommend for someone who is looking to get the most out of their education / thrive?

Toona's post history should shed some light on how your girl can properly study as a 1L.

Other than that, tell her to read Wikipedia for every case and subject that she's assigned. Her textbooks will include dense discussion that her alcohol fueled brain may struggle with. I found it exceptionally helpful to just read Wikipedia's plain English description to supplement the textbooks, especially for the old timey decisions from 1745.

It is imperative that she network. Being a lawyer is very very competitive and she is now in the real world. Some of her classmates will not bother with networking; those classmates will not have jobs when they graduate.

BigHead fucked around with this message at 19:02 on Jan 10, 2022

homullus
Mar 27, 2009

My answer depends on whether she enjoys the course material. If no, time with friends who aren't in law school, reading non-law things for pleasure over breaks (or not reading a drat thing), attending networking events so that she can meet cool people who don't make her want to die. If yes, talking to professors, reading books about areas of law she's curious about. In both cases, finding "her people" -- friendly, fun people within whatever tolerance she has for greater/lesser affinity for law in others -- will improve the experience.

Some people really liked to double-check their briefs on Quimbee. Some people really liked to skip the reading and keep Quimbee open on their laptop, reading from it if the professor called on them. Only one of those gets her the most out of her education though.

BigHead
Jul 25, 2003
Huh?

Nap Ghost
And buy her an account so she can join us in the lawyer / law school thread: https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3865334&pagenumber=1

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

bone shaking.
soul baking.

BigHead posted:

Toona's post history should shed some light on how your girl can properly study as a 1L.

Other than that, tell her to read Wikipedia for every case and subject that she's assigned. Her textbooks will include dense discussion that her alcohol fueled brain may struggle with. I found it exceptionally helpful to just read Wikipedia's plain English description to supplement the textbooks, especially for the old timey decisions from 1745.

It is imperative that she network. Being a lawyer is very very competitive and she is now in the real world. Some of her classmates will not bother with networking; those classmates will not have jobs when they graduate.

I still don't understand what networking is. Do you really just ask your friends for jobs all the time? Every "networking" event in law school was just everyone getting drunk as gently caress.

signed former lawyer that struggled finding decent work

Arcturas
Mar 30, 2011

Mr. Nice! posted:

I still don't understand what networking is. Do you really just ask your friends for jobs all the time? Every "networking" event in law school was just everyone getting drunk as gently caress.

From what I understand from people more successful than me, networking is a fancy word for making lots of friends and making sure people know you're nice/can do good work. The trick is to do it without coming across as a schmoozing rear end in a top hat, while also being a schmoozing rear end in a top hat.

(Basically, all my jobs other than my clerkship I got because I had a law school classmate at the job who remembered me, let me know they were looking for someone to hire, and put in a good word when I applied. And the senior people at my job who bring in business basically have that, but for client/referral networks. So stuff like Inns of Court, where you meet other lawyers in a setting where you can get drunk and complain about the socially-acceptable-to-complain-about parts of your job. Or things like going to comic cons but actually meeting the bigger vendors and being friends with them, so when they have problems they send work your way. Etc.)

homullus
Mar 27, 2009

Mr. Nice! posted:

Networking is not asking your friends for jobs. It's essentially indistinguishable from "step one of making friends" and just like "real" friendships, sometimes it never goes beyond "warm acquaintance." You're really just meeting people and hopefully coming away from the experience with mutual liking and admiration. The more people in your life ranked "warm acquaintance," the more who might answer a relevant question, or send job opportunities your way if they think you'd be a good fit (and vice versa). That's all. If all that happens is you both hang out and have a good time when you find yourselves at the same event, it's worth it, but sometimes, it's more fruitful.

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

bone shaking.
soul baking.
I got along with everyone in law school pretty much, but I don't really drink so I rarely hung out with anyone because drinking was 100% of every socialization function. Show up and get drunk. I had little interest in that so it was rather frustrating. Oh well, I make more money now than I ever did as an attorney, and I have no clients to deal with.

BigHead
Jul 25, 2003
Huh?

Nap Ghost

Mr. Nice! posted:

My first real lawyer job came from a guy who's car I helped push out of a snowbank.

blarzgh
Apr 14, 2009

SNITCHIN' RANDY
Grimey Drawer

Dating app to get a new girlfriend

Outrail
Jan 4, 2009

www.sapphicrobotica.com
Networking is dumb but nesseaary for employment in a lot of places. Not sure what it's like in Law industry, but applying for jobs cold is basically a last resort. Getting a decent job is about who you know or who you blow. Either make sure people know you're a good person to hire for whatever reason or have something they want so they'll give you a job.

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

bone shaking.
soul baking.

Outrail posted:

Networking is dumb but nesseaary for employment in a lot of places. Not sure what it's like in Law industry, but applying for jobs cold is basically a last resort. Getting a decent job is about who you know or who you blow. Either make sure people know you're a good person to hire for whatever reason or have something they want so they'll give you a job.

I had co-counsel on a case specifically point out the high quality of my work, multiple attorneys in the firm said I'd be a good fit, and I know the identical twin brother of the guy whose name is on the side of the building (with a good recommendation from him), and they still gave the job to someone 13 years younger than me that they could pay less and work harder.

Job hunting as a lawyer was loving miserable, and I'm glad I don't have to deal with that anymore.

Mr. Nice! fucked around with this message at 20:21 on Jan 10, 2022

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound

Mr. Nice! posted:

I realized many years later that, yeah, "networking" meant "finding out whose parents were hiring partners in law firms and being their friends". That said I definitely got my current job just by being friendly to other lawyer coworkers and having them give me a good word.

Mr. Nice! posted:

I had co-counsel on a case specifically point out the high quality of my work, multiple attorneys in the firm said I'd be a good fit, and I know the identical twin brother of the guy whose name is on the side of the building (with a good recommendation from him), and they still gave the job to someone 13 years younger than me that they could pay less and work harder.

Job hunting as a lawyer was loving miserable, and I'm glad I don't have to deal with that anymore.

Yeah I once missed out on a job I was stupidly well qualified for only to have them hire someone fresh out of law school with no experience instead. A year later though that same fresh hire got censured by a judge for incompetence in a published opinion so, hah-ha, fuckers, you made your choice

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

bone shaking.
soul baking.
I had two different former places call me to ask if I was still job hunting because the people they hired didn't work out last year. One I was actually somewhat sad about turning down.

FrozenVent
May 1, 2009

The Boeing 737-200QC is the undisputed workhorse of the skies.
Networking is building brand awareness for yourself, basically. So that the next time someone goes “oh I need a traffic lawyer”, someone else goes “what about Blarghz?”

There are people who make it a professional sport, these people are insufferable.

Alchenar
Apr 9, 2008

Yeah but those people are typically in a hell of their own making, in a room full of people just like them grinning with a frozen smile and over-enthusiastic niceness.

joat mon
Oct 15, 2009

I am the master of my lamp;
I am the captain of my tub.

BigHead posted:

My first real lawyer job came from a guy who's car I helped push out of a snowbank.

My first non-military lawyer job came from a guy who was manning a politician's booth at a state fair. Turns out he was a Ghislaine Maxwell, knowingly sending fresh meat to an rear end in a top hat and his lovely ID firm full of assholes.

My second job came from a prosecutor who, like me, had joined the lovely ID firm to make his fortune but hated the work and hated the assholes there. He quit and went back to prosecuting, beat my future boss in a death case, and then told him to hire me.

My third job came from a colleague getting headhunted who turned down their offer, but suggested they ask me instead.

EwokEntourage
Jun 10, 2008

BREYER: Actually, Antonin, you got it backwards. See, a power bottom is actually generating all the dissents by doing most of the work.

SCALIA: Stephen, I've heard that speed has something to do with it.

BREYER: Speed has everything to do with it.

Lemme tell you about the 12 steps to success as a lawyer

nm
Jan 28, 2008

"I saw Minos the Space Judge holding a golden sceptre and passing sentence upon the Martians. There he presided, and around him the noble Space Prosecutors sought the firm justice of space law."

Mr. Nice! posted:

I got along with everyone in law school pretty much, but I don't really drink so I rarely hung out with anyone because drinking was 100% of every socialization function. Show up and get drunk. I had little interest in that so it was rather frustrating. Oh well, I make more money now than I ever did as an attorney, and I have no clients to deal with.

FWIW, if you want to network without booze, you need to meet some Mormons. There's a ton of them in lawschool.
You can also show up an just drink water. No one will care if you're cool.

Bad Munki
Nov 4, 2008

We're all mad here.

EwokEntourage posted:

Lemme tell you about the 12 steps to success as a lawyer

It’s the 12 steps of AA but in reverse order, right?

EwokEntourage
Jun 10, 2008

BREYER: Actually, Antonin, you got it backwards. See, a power bottom is actually generating all the dissents by doing most of the work.

SCALIA: Stephen, I've heard that speed has something to do with it.

BREYER: Speed has everything to do with it.
Step one: continuously lie to yourself that you’re doing fine and you have you life under control
Step two: came to believe that the legal industry was perfectly sane
Step three: made a decision to turn our will and our lives over to the care of the partner that doesn’t care about you at all

Once you get the first three down we’ll move on to taking an inventory of morals for you to discard

FrozenVent
May 1, 2009

The Boeing 737-200QC is the undisputed workhorse of the skies.

nm posted:

FWIW, if you want to network without booze, you need to meet some Mormons. There's a ton of them in lawschool.
You can also show up an just drink water. No one will care if you're cool.

Virgin G&T’s my go to.

Phil Moscowitz
Feb 19, 2007

If blood be the price of admiralty,
Lord God, we ha' paid in full!
My last three jobs came from friends, either people I floated the idea of moving firms to and they made introductions for me at their firm, or straight poaching me. Other job offers came from co-counsel in cases liking me and approaching me about moving.

So, from networking.

an owls casket
Jun 4, 2001

Pillbug
Cross posting from the home repair thread:

Not sure if anyone is going to have a great answer on this, but thought I'd run it past you all. My wife and I bought our condo in October of 2019 from my cousin and her husband. Just this last December the H/COA had vendors out doing some kind of maintenance on our roof, and in the process of stomping around up there, knocked something loose that caused water to start seeping through the drywall. They got a tarp put over it as a temporary solution, and last Thursday got someone out to try to repair it. They didn't find anything obviously wrong aside from issues with a few singles and some caulking, so they addressed those, but did note that our skylight didn't seem to fit the roof properly. Later that night it started leaking again, and we repeated the process of getting it tarped up.

The vendor came back out to take another look at it, and found that the leak only was happening when the skylight was in place. The condo association is saying that this isn't their fault and that homeowners are responsible for the replacement. I reache8d out to my cousin to see if they had had problems with it, and learned that this skylight was put in back in 2018 by a vendor that the association board chose (who have a 1.5 rating on Yelp, unsurprisingly), and sent me documentation reflecting that. The management company just changed at the beginning of November, and the guy I've been communicating with is claiming that they don't have any information on the skylight, which I find difficult to believe, given the recent involvement of the previous management company.

I'm fully prepared to have to pay for it, since I imagine they're adept at weaseling out of paying for repairs, but does anyone here think I have a case in telling them that they should foot the bill? I'm going to do a consult with the legal assistance program my work offers also, just curious what you all thought.

ChickenDoodle
Oct 22, 2020

an owls casket posted:

Cross posting from the home repair thread:

IANAL, but try contacting your home insurance company. In my strata, water damage inside the property falls under homeowner’s insurance, and the roof would most likely be under the strata’s jurisdiction. Our property does not have skylights but the attic is the strata’s responsibility. Your home insurance should be able to act on your behalf if the strata is not playing ball.

joat mon
Oct 15, 2009

I am the master of my lamp;
I am the captain of my tub.
The most common strata around here would rather drive pickups loaded with old boys and guns past the other guy's house until he pays up.

Outrail
Jan 4, 2009

www.sapphicrobotica.com

Bad Munki posted:

It’s the 12 steps of AA but in reverse order, right?

... Okay how many of you had a spiritual awakening and decided to become a lawyer?

Knot My President!
Jan 10, 2005

Haha thanks for the info everyone, I’ll get her an account so she can become fueled by dark energy

She was a copywriter / article author for a law firm for a few years after graduating college and comes from a family of lawyers, and she has me, a total loving moron, to help encourage her to do whatever it is lawyers do, which I assume is buying as many INJURED? 444-444-4444 billboards as possible and finding a comfy phylactery upon graduation :confused:

blarzgh
Apr 14, 2009

SNITCHIN' RANDY
Grimey Drawer

to help encourage her to do whatever it is lawyers do

Drinking. It's mostly drinking.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sandwich Anarchist
Sep 12, 2008
Concealed fire damage: lawyer or insurance?

We purchased our home November 2020. We just discovered some gnarly fire damage on the underside of a portion of the eave of the roof, that had been boarded over and painted by the seller (who had purchased it as a foreclosure and flipped it). We discovered this when we saw water damage to the drywall beneath it, as rain water had been collecting in the "box" the boards had created, and was soaking into the drywall and getting under the paint inside. The color of the exterior paint on the house and concealing boards, and the extent of the work done to the house when compared to pictures before the seller purchased it make it very clear that the damage had to have been known about by him and deliberately concealed.

My question is, do we contact a lawyer about this, or just file a homeowner's insurance claim?

Sandwich Anarchist fucked around with this message at 17:25 on Jan 12, 2022