Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

SimonChris
Apr 24, 2008

The Baron's daughter is missing, and you are the man to find her. No problem. With your inexhaustible arsenal of hard-boiled similes, there is nothing you can't handle.
Grimey Drawer

aperfectcirclefan posted:

2. Is it possible to do a switch case in JSX for conditional rendering?

It's probably an anti-pattern, but I love making little self-executing functions for stuff like that:

code:
<div>
  {(() => {
    switch(condition) {
      case 1:
        return <div>1</div>
      case 2:
        return <div>2</div>
      case 3:
        return <div>3</div>
      default:
        return <div>Default</div>
    }
  })()}
</div>

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

aperfectcirclefan
Nov 21, 2021

by Hand Knit
Yeah that's what I ended up doing. Thanks goons. Now I have to figure out how to correctly useContext and useReducer :suicide:

camoseven
Dec 30, 2005

RODOLPHONE RINGIN'
The logic I use is:

code:
return (
  {condition && 
    <div>
      <p>This will render if condition is true. If condition is false, JS bails out on the && and this is not rendered</p>
    </div>
  }
)

minato
Jun 7, 2004

cutty cain't hang, say 7-up.
Taco Defender
While convenient, a downside is that most text editors won't syntax-highlight that properly, even those that are JSX-aware. So when I do that, I keep it to very short fragments.

kedo
Nov 27, 2007

I'm curious what browser ya'll develop in these days. I used Chrome for a loooong time, basically from when it came out up until a couple of years ago when I got finally got too creeped out by Google, so I switched to Firefox. However Firefox is buggy on a lot of sites and does weird things with colors, so I'm thinking about switching back.

Anyone have strong opinions they'd like to share?

prom candy
Dec 16, 2005

Only I may dance

Few questions...I haven't used React in a while.

1. Have people transitioned to Hooks exclusively or is it worth still using Redux?
2. Is it possible to do a switch case in JSX for conditional rendering?

Thanks

React-redux is all hooks-based now. I still use Redux for a lot of stuff. Redux-toolkit is really nice to use and RTK Query is a great data fetching library.

I use ternaries for if/else if/else execution flow in JSX:

code:
const { data, isLoading, error } = useFetchData()

return (
  <div className="wrapper">
    {isLoading ? (
      <Loader />
    ) : error ? (
      <ErrorDebug error={error} />
    ) : data && (
      <MyData data={data} />
    )}
  </div>
)

kedo posted:

I'm curious what browser ya'll develop in these days. I used Chrome for a loooong time, basically from when it came out up until a couple of years ago when I got finally got too creeped out by Google, so I switched to Firefox. However Firefox is buggy on a lot of sites and does weird things with colors, so I'm thinking about switching back.

Anyone have strong opinions they'd like to share?

I'd like to stop using Chrome but my efforts to switch to anything else never end well.

Nolgthorn
Jan 30, 2001

The pendulum of the mind alternates between sense and nonsense
I prefer to use

code:
return (
  {condition ? ( 
    <div>
      <p>This will render if condition is true. Otherwise null isn't rendered in jsx.</p>
    </div>
  ) : null}
)
It's not much different just really like explicit null syntax in jsx.

prom candy posted:

I'd like to stop using Chrome but my efforts to switch to anything else never end well.
Brave to escape Google creepiness while also developing for Chrome.

camoseven
Dec 30, 2005

RODOLPHONE RINGIN'

Nolgthorn posted:

I prefer to use

code:
return (
  {condition ? ( 
    <div>
      <p>This will render if condition is true. Otherwise null isn't rendered in jsx.</p>
    </div>
  ) : null}
)
It's not much different just really like explicit null syntax in jsx.

Brave to escape Google creepiness while also developing for Chrome.

What does the null syntax gain you? Or what could NOT using it cause?

aperfectcirclefan
Nov 21, 2021

by Hand Knit
Yeah I use ternary also. Thanks for all the help. It's been a while since I dealt with React

aperfectcirclefan fucked around with this message at 20:35 on Jan 11, 2022

prom candy
Dec 16, 2005

Only I may dance
One thing to keep in mind if you're using the && syntax is that if you're checking the value of a number it'll print it out. so like

code:
{myArray.length && (<div>you have {myArray.length} messages</div>)}
Will actually print the zero. So it's a good idea to do !!myArray.length, or use the ternary for the explicit null.

Nolgthorn
Jan 30, 2001

The pendulum of the mind alternates between sense and nonsense

camoseven posted:

What does the null syntax gain you? Or what could NOT using it cause?

It's just explicit. Returning null from a component is also a convenient way not to render it, if you ever need to do that.

fuf
Sep 12, 2004

haha
Is there any way to "undo" a 301 redirect from site A to site B if I no longer have access to site B?

All the stuff I've read involves setting up a reverse redirect from site B to site A, but I can't do that...

If the redirect is gone from the .htaccess of site A, will the internet eventually catch on and stop redirecting people? Is it just an individual browser cache issue or does the redirect actually get stored by DNS servers etc?

e: right now I can't even get the redirect to stop firing on my local machine, even though I swear there's nothing cached locally

fuf fucked around with this message at 15:49 on Jan 21, 2022

kedo
Nov 27, 2007

In theory if you remove the redirect on site A, the page will eventually get indexed again and it'll start showing up in search results. It'll just take longer than if you were to create a new redirect on site B.

If it's an .htaccess redirect it shouldn't be getting cached anywhere, changing it should be instantaneous unless I'm terribly mistaken. Is it defined anywhere else?

e: Also, apropos of nothing – don't ever use aplus.net for anything. I have a client that requires we use them for a project, and it's been nothing but an incredibly frustrating shitshow. I've had to contact their tech support for everything from creating a database to adjusting DNS records, because every single thing I try to do throws an error message in their lovely-rear end control panel. I've been trying to launch an incredibly simple site with them for a goddamn week now.

e2: The fastest response I got from their support was when I called them out on their terrible control panel, and I got back a canned "sorry!" reply in less than a second. :lol:

kedo fucked around with this message at 16:36 on Jan 21, 2022

fuf
Sep 12, 2004

haha

kedo posted:

In theory if you remove the redirect on site A, the page will eventually get indexed again and it'll start showing up in search results. It'll just take longer than if you were to create a new redirect on site B.

If it's an .htaccess redirect it shouldn't be getting cached anywhere, changing it should be instantaneous unless I'm terribly mistaken. Is it defined anywhere else?

hmm the redirect was setup in cPanel so I'm not sure if it was done with .htaccess or something else.

the main domain for the cPanel account was domain A, and domain B was a domain alias with a permanent redirect to domain A. I've removed it as an alias and added it as an addon domain instead, but it's still redirecting to domain A.

fletcher
Jun 27, 2003

ken park is my favorite movie

Cybernetic Crumb
I'm having some trouble with using different auth_basic_user_file for separate location blocks, as soon as I log in to something.com/location2 it starts using that authentication for something.com/location1 - that should be possible right? Here's what I've got:

code:
    location /location1 {
        auth_basic "Restricted";
        auth_basic_user_file /etc/nginx/htpasswd1;

proxy_set_header X-Real-IP $remote_addr;
        proxy_set_header X-Forwarded-For $proxy_add_x_forwarded_for;
        proxy_set_header X-Forwarded-Proto https;
        proxy_set_header X-Forwarded-Host $http_post;
        proxy_set_header Host $http_host;

proxy_pass [url]http://backend1.docker-network;[/url]
    }

location /location2 {
        auth_basic "Restricted";
        auth_basic_user_file /etc/nginx/htpasswd2;

proxy_set_header X-Real-IP $remote_addr;
        proxy_set_header X-Forwarded-For $proxy_add_x_forwarded_for;
        proxy_set_header X-Forwarded-Proto https;
        proxy_set_header X-Forwarded-Host $http_post;
        proxy_set_header Host $http_host;
        proxy_max_temp_file_size 0;

proxy_pass [url]http://backend2.docker-network:1234/app;[/url]
        proxy_redirect [url]http://[/url] [url]https://;[/url]
    }

Just-In-Timeberlake
Aug 18, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 4 hours!
Any ASP.NET experts here? Particularly with the web.config and IIS10?

We have a custom error page to handle any errors, and we need that initial form data to go along for the ride.

This works when deployed to our old Server 2012 instance on AWS, and run on localhost via Visual Studio and IISExpress on a Server 2019 machine:

code:
	<customErrors defaultRedirect="~/errors/errorHandler.aspx" mode="On" redirectMode="ResponseRewrite">
        </customErrors>
However, when deployed to an AWS Server 2019/IIS10 instance, while it does go to the error handler page, the form data is not being transferred. I've verified this by using Response.Write(Request.Form()), just blank.

I feel like I'm missing some setting in IIS10, but Googling isn't bringing anything up.

Honest Thief
Jan 11, 2009

Few questions...I haven't used React in a while.

1. Have people transitioned to Hooks exclusively or is it worth still using Redux?

Thanks

the community is going full hog with hooks but i gotta wonder if there wont be some backlash to them eventually, if closures dont come naturally to you it can be harder to maintain a big app with hooks than with the tried and used lifecycle methods

Lumpy
Apr 26, 2002

La! La! La! Laaaa!

College Slice

Honest Thief posted:

the community is going full hog with hooks but i gotta wonder if there wont be some backlash to them eventually, if closures dont come naturally to you it can be harder to maintain a big app with hooks than with the tried and used lifecycle methods

But that forces you to be using class-based components, which is rare and while not deprecated, are very out of favor with React itself. But if using them makes your app easier to manage / understand, then they are still there.

prom candy
Dec 16, 2005

Only I may dance

Honest Thief posted:

I really don't see this happening. There's a very small minority of people who are like "I don't see what's so good about hooks, class components are just fine" but I think these are largely the same people who originally went "I don't see what's so good about React, jQuery is just fine"

LifeLynx
Feb 27, 2001

Dang so this is like looking over his shoulder in real-time
Grimey Drawer

prom candy posted:

I really don't see this happening. There's a very small minority of people who are like "I don't see what's so good about hooks, class components are just fine" but I think these are largely the same people who originally went "I don't see what's so good about React, jQuery is just fine"

If they die off, can we use "class" instead of "className" in JSX please?

Lumpy
Apr 26, 2002

La! La! La! Laaaa!

College Slice

LifeLynx posted:

If they die off, can we use "class" instead of "className" in JSX please?

No, because it's a javascript thing, not a React thing, that makes it a reserved word.

fsif
Jul 18, 2003

Lumpy posted:

No, because it's a javascript thing, not a React thing, that makes it a reserved word.

But JSX isn't a JavaScript thing either. Just unreserve the word in the transpiler!

Ima Computer
Oct 28, 2007

Stop all the downloading!

Help computer.
htmlFor is always going to be a thing too. Both of those alternative identifiers for HTML attributes have their roots in the DOM (see: Element.className, HTMLLabelElement.htmlFor)

The Merkinman
Apr 22, 2007

I sell only quality merkins. What is a merkin you ask? Why, it's a wig for your genitals!
Does anyone have any recommendations for learning React? I have plenty of Angular and Vue experience, but it feels like without React, I'm unhirable.

I did the Tic Tac Toe tutorial, and that just made me really confused about how React does things as a whole compared to Angular and Vue. Is React that different or is that Tic Tac Toe a poor example of how things would "really" be ?

LifeLynx
Feb 27, 2001

Grimey Drawer
If anyone feels like picking apart a relatively simple NextJS project from someone still learning the ropes of React, I'd appreciate it! I got inspired to remake my friend's photography website. I'm not sure he'll use it, but I needed something to experiment on and got inspired. I'm still considering options for the photo gallery, though anything is probably good if I convince him that prospective clients don't really spend time looking through 100+ wedding shots when he can just show his best samples and pop the rest on Instagram.

- I noticed there's a lot of rerenders, and I think it's because of the cursor component, namely the useMouse hook. It constantly needs to update the state of the position. On top of that, certain things use the ImageHover component, which also updates the global state (useContext) in order to change the styling of the cursor so it doesn't visually block buttons or photos. My question is, is the rerendering just an unavoidable tradeoff for having a cool cursor effect? I saw a lot of sites on Awwwards using the same effect and wanted to see if I could replicate it.

- I'm using Framer Motion. It took a long time to find how to code something where the transformations would calculate based on a starting point of when the element entered the screen, because all of the tutorials and examples from the official docs I could find assumed you'd be calculating from the top of the document. I found this useInViewScroll hook and modified it slightly. I think I could rewrite it to use react-intersection-observer, but I'm not sure if it would make a difference performance-wise.

- Please ignore the CSS and any placeholder stuff, I need to clean it up a bit (form is just proof-of-concept, navigation needs tuning, some things aren't linked to their respective targets, there are some placeholder images, etc.) but it's like 90% there as far as placement.

- There are two pages: the homepage and the Portfolio page. I'm not sure if I'd split the individual portfolio sections into pages.

I really want to know if I'm committing any sins of React, optimization, file naming, etc. because I don't want to start with and continue bad habits, so if anyone wants to critique my code... thank you!

Site is here: https://hearthandoak.vercel.app
Github is here: https://github.com/Ultharite/hearthandoak

P.S. Ignore the Kanye quote, that's all on him.

Cory Parsnipson
Nov 15, 2015
Hello! I'm making a small project to test out svelte and sveltekit and I'm running into a some basic/general dev questions about some stuff that I've never had to deal with before.

My app is one where you can ask or answer questions, and then when you submit your question/answer, it will lead you to the question page to see all the submitted answers and discuss them. I blocked out four different pages I might need like so:

So my questions are...

1. How do I decide if I want to make things into something like a single page app or if I make it multi-page? I'm coding up the form submission code and api calls and thinking maybe it would be less jarring to use AJAX to submit the data and then some fancy animations to transform the upper right and bottom left pages into the bottom right page. The problem is, due to the fact I've never done it before, making it an SPA using sveltekit appears to be difficult, possibly requiring me to duplicate code when I'm transforming the ask/answer pages into the discussion page. I think this more of an open-ended design question, but any input would help...

2. Somewhat related, when I write my form submission endpoint, I was going to make it redirect to the bottom right landing page. But should I instead just return JSON to indicate a successful transaction and then use the framework to do the redirect? This is in an attempt to make the api more flexible in case I want to add a question/answer to my database without being forced to redirect to a specific page.

e. Whoops, I reversed the ask and answer pages. Hopefully the problem still makes sense?

Cory Parsnipson fucked around with this message at 21:12 on Jan 25, 2022

teen phone cutie
Jun 18, 2012

last year i rewrote something awful from scratch because i hate myself
shot in the dark question, does anyone know why I can do this in Chrome but not Safari

TypeScript code:
// full screen button
document.getElementsByClassName('ytp-fullscreen-button')[0].click();
In Safari, nothing happens but in Chrome, it correctly goes fullscreen

Ima Computer
Oct 28, 2007

Stop all the downloading!

Help computer.

LifeLynx posted:

- I noticed there's a lot of rerenders, and I think it's because of the cursor component, namely the useMouse hook. It constantly needs to update the state of the position. On top of that, certain things use the ImageHover component, which also updates the global state (useContext) in order to change the styling of the cursor so it doesn't visually block buttons or photos. My question is, is the rerendering just an unavoidable tradeoff for having a cool cursor effect? I saw a lot of sites on Awwwards using the same effect and wanted to see if I could replicate it.

Calling useMouse at pretty much the root of the application (in your Layout component) means that you're re-rendering the entire page for every mouse position update.

Since the only thing that needs to re-render when the mouse moves is the circle element, you could move rendering code for that element and the useMouse hook call into it's own component, and pass the ref from the Layout component to it as a prop. It should be a big performance improvement.

Changes to overButton state will still trigger a re-render of the entire page, but considering that occurs far less frequently than mouse position updates, it's a lot less of a concern.

fisting by many
Dec 25, 2009

teen phone cutie posted:

shot in the dark question, does anyone know why I can do this in Chrome but not Safari

TypeScript code:
// full screen button

What triggers this code? Generally, script that simulates user interaction is blocked unless it is triggered by user interaction (eg. you can bind a function that clicks to a keypress event, but you might not be able to call click() on page load.) It's a security feature that may differ between browsers. Video interaction is particularly restricted.

teen phone cutie
Jun 18, 2012

fisting by many posted:

What triggers this code? Generally, script that simulates user interaction is blocked unless it is triggered by user interaction (eg. you can bind a function that clicks to a keypress event, but you might not be able to call click() on page load.) It's a security feature that may differ between browsers. Video interaction is particularly restricted.

just running it in the browser console

Boba Pearl
Dec 27, 2019

by Athanatos
Hey so you guys talked me into just setting up a wordpress site a year(?) ago, and I want to say I hate it. I hate everything about it. I hate managing a website. And now I need help

Boba Pearl posted:

I have a website and it's garbage, and every second writing html, css, php, or javascript is bringing me an inch closer to ventilating my own skull. I thought wordpress would make things easier, but instead it makes things juuuust easy enough to create something that looks like poo poo.

https://bobapearlessence.com/
https://bobapearlescence.com/

At the bottom of this page is a "series" box that I pay 200$ a year for, because I don't know how to do what I need to do (write a script that generates first, next, previous, last) buttons.

https://bobapearlessence.com/42-2/

Whenever I use the thing, it makes the buttons line up like this:

I want them to go left to right and be buttons. The thing is, I don't know which part of the code controls that, and when I e-mailed the company I paid for the plugin, they just said it was planned in a future update.

Honestly, I don't want to pay this company every year, 200$, to put buttons on my web comic. I don't know where to go to teach me what I need to know.

Can you point me to where I could find the information I need?

Alternatively, how much do you think it would cost just to pay someone one off to make me the code so I don't have to pay this company every year, 200$? I'm planning to do comics for the next few years, and like, next year I'll have given them 400$, and there has to be a point where I break even just paying a guy to set it up. Or teach me tbh.

Boba Pearl fucked around with this message at 07:29 on Jan 26, 2022

LifeLynx
Feb 27, 2001

Grimey Drawer

Ima Computer posted:

Calling useMouse at pretty much the root of the application (in your Layout component) means that you're re-rendering the entire page for every mouse position update.

Since the only thing that needs to re-render when the mouse moves is the circle element, you could move rendering code for that element and the useMouse hook call into it's own component, and pass the ref from the Layout component to it as a prop. It should be a big performance improvement.

Changes to overButton state will still trigger a re-render of the entire page, but considering that occurs far less frequently than mouse position updates, it's a lot less of a concern.

Thanks! Running refs and props around is something I'm getting used to.

teen phone cutie posted:

TypeScript code:
// full screen button

Some Googling led me to some answers - either make sure the element you're clicking on has cursor: pointer, and/or that element or some ancestor has to have an onclick= set on it.

prom candy
Dec 16, 2005

Only I may dance

The Merkinman posted:

Does anyone have any recommendations for learning React? I have plenty of Angular and Vue experience, but it feels like without React, I'm unhirable.

I did the Tic Tac Toe tutorial, and that just made me really confused about how React does things as a whole compared to Angular and Vue. Is React that different or is that Tic Tac Toe a poor example of how things would "really" be ?

I think Kent C Dodds has a really good course but I also think it's a bit pricy.

React is definitely unique compared to pretty much anything else but I haven't done that Tic Tac Toe tutorial specifically. Also if you have questions :justpost:

teen phone cutie
Jun 18, 2012

teen phone cutie posted:

TypeScript code:
// full screen button

:facepalm:

I also left out this is on a youtube video. Specifically it's the fullscreen button

LifeLynx posted:

Thanks! Running refs and props around is something I'm getting used to.

Some Googling led me to some answers - either make sure the element you're clicking on has cursor: pointer, and/or that element or some ancestor has to have an onclick= set on it.

didn't seem to work :(

Jabor
Jul 16, 2010

#1 Loser at SpaceChem
Why do you need to fullscreen a video by typing text into the browser console and running it?

teen phone cutie
Jun 18, 2012

Jabor posted:

Why do you need to fullscreen a video by typing text into the browser console and running it?

Some other site with a video player hides the fullscreen button on mobile breakpoints, so it's not accessible. I also noticed that when I removed the display: none style from the button, clicking it again did nothing. So I tried to force a fullscreen with JS

But it didn't work so I tried to see if it was happening with all video players (like youtube) and the same issue was happening.

Cory Parsnipson
Nov 15, 2015

Boba Pearl posted:

Hey so you guys talked me into just setting up a wordpress site a year(?) ago, and I want to say I hate it. I hate everything about it. I hate managing a website. And now I need help

I saw KillHour posted something about making really pretty links in the other thread. That's pretty good, if you wanna try to make the buttons look different. Also, seconding that you're getting ripped off for $200/yr for a navigation bar. Making one yourself is pretty achievable imo, though if you're not familiar with basic HTML and CSS it will be kind of a journey.

I took a look at the bar in the chrome inspector and it looks like they actually already applied css-grid to the outer wrapper of the navigation, but as far as I could tell, they didn't set any of the other grid properties. So I added in "grid-template-columns" to try and get them to line up next to each other. Maybe this is closer to what you want? Tbh, this isn't the only way to configure the grid and I'm not even sure if it's the best way to do it.

There's some other properties you can set to center the items too, but I didn't dig any further. As for modifying it on the wordpress website, it's a little tricky because IIRC you need to edit the html code inside a little window and there's a bunch of wordpress boilerplate in the way, making it confusing to look through.

======

Here's a really comprehensive guide on css grid that'll explain how you can use CSS to arrange page elements -> https://css-tricks.com/snippets/css/complete-guide-grid/
It's really long though, and probably too difficult a learning curve for a beginner, but maybe we can try and help you through it? v:shobon:v

Boba Pearl
Dec 27, 2019

by Athanatos
Thanks, I'm gonna look at it tomorrow and see what I can do, until then I'm reading up on js and how to get a navigation field that doesn't cost me a ton of money for nothing lol

barkbell
Apr 14, 2006

woof
You mentioned this is a wordpress site, so you'll probably have to set the link (href property on a tag) with php instead of js.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

aperfectcirclefan
Nov 21, 2021

by Hand Knit
WordPress makes it real easy to do stuff like that with built in functions. Can't believe they're charging $200 a year for that. This should do exactly what you need it to do albeit without style

PHP code:

<?php previous_post_link('%link', '%title'); ?>
<?php next_post_link('%link', '%title'); ?>