Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: Stereotype)

Cabbages and VHS
Aug 25, 2004

Listen, I've been around a bit, you know, and I thought I'd seen some creepy things go on in the movie business, but I really have to say this is the most disgusting thing that's ever happened to me.

JeremoudCorbynejad posted:

The resent discussion got me curious as to what this thread collectively thinks about the future, as there's quite a range of doomerism on display. So I thought I'd whip up a quick survey if you wanna contribute: HOW DOOMER ARE YOU. I'll share the aggregate results after a few days.

answered

in the good scenarios we can provide for our kids and leave them better set up than a lot of people. In the worse scenarios, they're having a nice childhood, our day to day life is nice right now, and we're all in this together.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

That Spooky Witch
Jun 16, 2017

All hail the triune god
a question on there made me think for a moment;

what if the dominant narrative ends up just keep redefining "civilization" so that current civilization never _technically_ collapses, its just getting smaller and simpler and more chaotic as our goalposts of civilization eventually land at the last dome or whatever, until it becomes "civilization" becomes a technicality and echoes of its once existence are all we have. There will be large steps along the way no doubt, but there will always be at least half of society being propagandized fully into ignoring, downplaying, distracting, denial, anything amiss and clinging to whats left

oh wait that is whats happening and has been happening

hi collapse

couldja ehhh "collapse" a lil coffee in my mug eh

eh

stringless
Dec 28, 2005

keyboard ⌨️​ :clint: cowboy

Stargate SG-1 S7E5: "Revisions" is exactly that

tiberion02
Mar 26, 2007

People tend to make the common mistake of believing that a situation will last forever.

JeremoudCorbynejad posted:

The resent discussion got me curious as to what this thread collectively thinks about the future, as there's quite a range of doomerism on display. So I thought I'd whip up a quick survey if you wanna contribute: HOW DOOMER ARE YOU. I'll share the aggregate results after a few days.

Did the thing. Fun questions. Thought provoking :sickos:

The Oldest Man
Jul 28, 2003

Hey I thought we were supposed to have a couple more years of ignoring this, drat scientists

https://twitter.com/chriscartw83/status/1480581355587186691?s=20

Trabisnikof
Dec 24, 2005

The Oldest Man posted:

Hey I thought we were supposed to have a couple more years of ignoring this, drat scientists

we thwaited too long already

Just a Moron
Nov 11, 2021

I want my rapid 10 feet of sea level rise and I want it now!

The Oldest Man
Jul 28, 2003

Trabisnikof posted:

we thwaited too long already

2020s, the decade we Found Out

net work error
Feb 26, 2011

The glacier needs to wait for me to finalize my climate cope plan before it dies, we had an agreement!

Perry Mason Jar
Feb 24, 2006

"Della? Take a lid"
Still thwaiting for things to get that bad yet

JAY ZERO SUM GAME
Oct 18, 2005

Walter.
I know you know how to do this.
Get up.

The Oldest Man posted:

americans always wanting ice in their drink

blatman
May 10, 2009

14 inc dont mez

the year is 2023, polar bears have been officially downgraded to "bears" as the last arctic ice melts into the ocean

Mayor Dave
Feb 20, 2009

Bernie the Snow Clown
What's the big deal, the earth is just following through on its new years resolution to lose some thwait

Enfys
Feb 17, 2013

The ocean is calling and I must go

https://mobile.twitter.com/AFP/status/1480547478495801349

silicone thrills
Jan 9, 2008

I paint things
in the kim stanley robinson book new york 2052 he describes sea level rise as coming in 2 "pulses" that pushed the level up suddenly as glaciers failed. lmao.

I swear the dude is writing books with every possible scenario of climate catastrophe so when they happen he can call himself a prophet.

Hexigrammus
May 22, 2006

Cheech Wizard stories are clean, wholesome, reflective truths that go great with the marijuana munchies and a blow job.

The Oldest Man posted:

Well, gently caress. Can I go back and revise some of my answers on that poll?

Cold on a Cob
Feb 6, 2006

i've seen so much, i'm going blind
and i'm brain dead virtually

College Slice

Hexigrammus posted:

lol, same

skooma512
Feb 8, 2012

You couldn't grok my race car, but you dug the roadside blur.

Rah! posted:

After we destroy ourselves and 99.99% of all life on earth, and the climate becomes some Venus-style poo poo for a few million (hundreds of millions?) years, then maybe the climate will finally change back to something conducive to life other than some weird microbes in a methane lake. But even if that happens, I think the sun's expansion will make the earth uninhabitable before intelligent life ever evolves again.

:sad:

We have about a ~billion years before the sun itself starts getting hotter and throws a wrench in this whole life on Earth thing once and for all.

It only needs to burn just a little hotter (for its POV) to make oceans not a thing anymore for example.

Notorious R.I.M.
Jan 27, 2004

up to my ass in alligators

silicone thrills posted:

in the kim stanley robinson book new york 2052 he describes sea level rise as coming in 2 "pulses" that pushed the level up suddenly as glaciers failed. lmao.

I swear the dude is writing books with every possible scenario of climate catastrophe so when they happen he can call himself a prophet.

One easy trick to predicting climate change: Assume all equilibria are unstable and all perturbations are nonlinear.

Notorious R.I.M.
Jan 27, 2004

up to my ass in alligators
Artist's rendering of quaternary glacial-interglacial stability: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cyN-CRNrb3E

Beyond ReTarTed.
Dec 19, 2021

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Notorious R.I.M. posted:

Artist's rendering of quaternary glacial-interglacial stability: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cyN-CRNrb3E

what ever yo do, do not shut it down

Cabbages and VHS
Aug 25, 2004

Listen, I've been around a bit, you know, and I thought I'd seen some creepy things go on in the movie business, but I really have to say this is the most disgusting thing that's ever happened to me.
huh, I want to see a functional and livable world for my kids but I also want to see Tampa and Manhattan crushed by tidal waves (after being safely evacuated to Nebraska or something)

fortunately I don't get to choose

Egg Moron
Jul 21, 2003

the dreams of the delighting void

We never really had a chance

emTme3
Nov 7, 2012

by Hand Knit

Rime posted:

This is where I am at right now. I have a long essay on the topic which I'm still fine tuning, but I'll give the cliffnotes version here:

Just as the government massively subsidizes Agricultural output in marginal terrain because low food prices keeps the population happy, so too will it subsidize and perpetuate the fossil fuel economy until the bitter end. Oil and Gas is quite literally the "divine right to rule" for modern governments, as soon as it goes away and takes cheap consumerism with it, these governments will crumble overnight. They know this. Fracking lost over $500 Billion in fifteen years without ever turning a profit, they kept it flowing through tax incentives to keep the price at the pump low.

As such, attempting to stop a pipeline or protest an O&G field is asinine and ignorant of reality to an offensive degree. At best you will be permitted to wave a sign and the minor financial disruptions from it accepted as the cost of pacifying the discordant left, at worst (in the event you achieve anything of note) you will be thrown in prison (See: Steven Donziger). As things break down further the mask will come off, you will be shot in the head, and you will be written off in the media as a terrorist. By and large the general public, having the mental capacity of a cow and fearing the loss of toys and steak your actions represented in a world where their comforts are already crumbling, will cheer your demise.

yeah, no poo poo. you will also have contributed to machine-atrophy, and perhaps bought the biosphere as it exists right now a few extra seconds. what, did you think it was called class snuggle?

but that poo poo really isn't what I'm talking about. the machine is hosed anyways. all i'm talking about is a subjective shift in consciousness.

i'm talking about accepting and identifying with the mass extinction event. this obliterates your capitalist conditioning and gets you to the threshhold of post-human consciousnes, something that has only emerged because the conditions for it are already here. this is way, way past anything i'm seeing in this thread's pathetic doomwallowing, and it's honestly pretty hard to communicate with the lot of you just because you're so obviously still clinging to your holocene-era selfhoods.

quote:

If you want to legitimately salve your conscience and pretend you have some moral superiority, which is the only takeaway anyone will get from this rambling shitpost, you do it in a way which actually has a chance to meaningfully help people moving forwards, not with vaguely hinted at performative masturbatory acts which will increasingly risk eating a bullet as systemic breakdown spirals further out of control and the Military-Industrial complex gets nervous.

If all you want to do is come in here and imply that since we're not bombing pipelines we're nihilist failures complicit in the failure of a system which has already failed, you can go gently caress right back to D&D.

:fuckoff:

i'm not a moralist, and i don't post in dnd, and as post-human i don't really have a conscience anymore either. the world already ended a while ago, i'm just trying to loving get out ahead of it. you're right - mutual aid networks and mimally autarkic entities are the only way forward if anybody wants to keep living, but for those of us that don't, well???

there are better ways to die than others.

T-Paine
Dec 12, 2007

Sitting in the Costco food court unmasked, Bible in hand, reading my favorite Psalms to my five children: Abel, Bethany, Carlos, Carlos, and Carlos.
I'm a nihilest :spooky:

Enfys
Feb 17, 2013

The ocean is calling and I must go

https://mobile.twitter.com/adm0n/status/1479553227691479040

Perry Mason Jar
Feb 24, 2006

"Della? Take a lid"

splifyphus posted:

yeah, no poo poo. you will also have contributed to machine-atrophy, and perhaps bought the biosphere as it exists right now a few extra seconds. what, did you think it was called class snuggle?

but that poo poo really isn't what I'm talking about. the machine is hosed anyways. all i'm talking about is a subjective shift in consciousness.

i'm talking about accepting and identifying with the mass extinction event. this obliterates your capitalist conditioning and gets you to the threshhold of post-human consciousnes, something that has only emerged because the conditions for it are already here. this is way, way past anything i'm seeing in this thread's pathetic doomwallowing, and it's honestly pretty hard to communicate with the lot of you just because you're so obviously still clinging to your holocene-era selfhoods.

i'm not a moralist, and i don't post in dnd, and as post-human i don't really have a conscience anymore either. the world already ended a while ago, i'm just trying to loving get out ahead of it. you're right - mutual aid networks and mimally autarkic entities are the only way forward if anybody wants to keep living, but for those of us that don't, well???

there are better ways to die than others.

This doesn't sound healthy, to keep it a buck with you...

Dick Valentine
Nov 4, 2009

splifyphus posted:

it's honestly pretty hard to communicate with the lot of you just because you're so obviously still clinging to your holocene-era selfhoods.

You aren't communicating anything except for whatever individually bizarre coping mechanisms you've chosen to indulge. Majority of your posts are condescending and full of derision. "Drooling fuckshits" and all that kind of pointless antagonism. You are obviously intelligent and well read and it's great that you've found some internal movement that is beneficial for you. I get that most of us really just post to entertain ourselves or to vent but if you were actually interested in educating or enlightening others you wouldn't be posting like this. I get that people don't always listen, even when we break it down as simply as we can, but you aren't doing that. No one regards what assholes have to say very much, even if they are right. Maybe just recommend some books and authors and let people do the work themselves instead of what you are doing.

Rectal Death Adept
Jun 20, 2018

by Fluffdaddy
Eat My rear end, Climate

tiberion02
Mar 26, 2007

People tend to make the common mistake of believing that a situation will last forever.

Rectal Death Adept posted:

Eat My rear end, Climate

Oh, it will :getin:

Crow Buddy
Oct 30, 2019

Guillotines?!? We don't need no stinking guillotines!

I didn't realize you could do nihilism wrong, but look at that.

AceClown
Sep 11, 2005

https://twitter.com/chriscartw83/status/1480662735927001089?s=20

Horizon Burning
Oct 23, 2019
:discourse:

Hexigrammus posted:

Cloks
Feb 1, 2013

by Azathoth
can't thwaite

TehSaurus
Jun 12, 2006

I don't see what you are all so upset about. We've been talking about fresh water as a dwindling resource and that looks like a big chunk of fresh water to me! Now let me just fire up the bash probes so we can turn it all into almonds...

Lpzie
Nov 20, 2006

antartica the weakest link?? nuke 'em

Fame Douglas
Nov 20, 2013

by Fluffdaddy

TehSaurus posted:

I don't see what you are all so upset about. We've been talking about fresh water as a dwindling resource and that looks like a big chunk of fresh water to me! Now let me just fire up the bash probes so we can turn it all into almonds...

Also, emissions might be rising every year, but we're holding lots of global climate talks. Thinks are getting better, stop being doomers!

TACD
Oct 27, 2000

That Spooky Witch posted:

a question on there made me think for a moment;

what if the dominant narrative ends up just keep redefining "civilization" so that current civilization never _technically_ collapses, its just getting smaller and simpler and more chaotic as our goalposts of civilization eventually land at the last dome or whatever, until it becomes "civilization" becomes a technicality and echoes of its once existence are all we have. There will be large steps along the way no doubt, but there will always be at least half of society being propagandized fully into ignoring, downplaying, distracting, denial, anything amiss and clinging to whats left

oh wait that is whats happening and has been happening
americans will be saying "we can put a man on the moon but we can't do X" long after everybody who was alive to see that happen has died

that'll probably be in my lifetime TBH, nobody has left low earth orbit since 1972

Homeless Friend
Jul 16, 2007

Cabbages and Kings posted:

Have you messed with the feedback settings? Maybe you need to adjust stuff for better dirt control. Granted it's hard to control, but compared to ACC or DiRT Rally it's real easy!!

yeah i fixed em up so its not tearing out of my hands, its just complete lack of internal model on oversteer/countersteer lol. I am like little baby. I do tend to drive insane powersliders on kb tho… maybe the tunes are the problem lol

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fame Douglas
Nov 20, 2013

by Fluffdaddy

Perry Mason Jar posted:

Thread continues after first post. Why are you so angry? Lol

Because it's dumb and misleading. Stop linking right wing accounts posting "news" for reactionary idiots. You tried to perpetuate some moronic "blackout" narrative and got told off.

Fame Douglas has issued a correction as of 00:37 on Jan 11, 2022