Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Everyone
Sep 6, 2019

by sebmojo

Xelkelvos posted:

I'm really curious if it'll click extra well since it's literally an isekai story that's all the rage right now expect instead of the protagonist ending up in a castle or something (basically Marcy's situation), it's in a swamp.

Amphibia doesn't really seem like an isekai story (as I understand them) except in the loosest "person from Earth goes to another world" sense. Anne starts out in the swamp and mostly survives because the Plantars take her in. When Anne does deploy her "special Earth knowledge" she usually goes overboard and creates a problem. Sasha fits in with the toad and Grime because she's tough, cunning and ruthless - not because she's from Earth. The closest person to having an isekai story is Marcy, who does employ her Earth and fantasy knowledge. However, a lot of Marcy's success comes down to Andrias grooming/manipulating her into serving as his tool to get the music box charged and in his possession.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Pandamn It Feels Good To Be A Gangsta
Grimey Drawer
It's not a modern isekai in the "person goes to fantasy world and suddenly they're like the strongest person in the universe" (look, I made a light novel name!) sense, but it is a person in another world who has to survive there which, as I understand it, is the literal definition of the term. And even though Anne doesn't have particularly "special" Earth knowledge she still has stuff like her phone, which is basically magic to the Plantars and the other residents of Amphibia or her comprehensive knowledge of Thai cuisine and restaurant experience to flip a run-down restaurant into the best place in town.

Anyway since I'm posting in this thread I've been thinking about the last (half)season and I like that the show has still retained its... silliness, for lack of a better term? I was concerned that since the show was moving to Earth and the plot was nearing its endgame, things would get more serious; which they have to an extent, but like for example, Frobo shoots a hole in the garage and leaves a crater in the yard, but it's only treated as a joke and not something that has a lasting impact. Cloak-Bot does serious damage to the car but it's fine again next episode, etc.

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

I know that most Isekai, especially the most popular ones, tend to go down the path of the person ending up amazing and super powerful, but there are some that try to stay more grounded, some that try to stay more chill, and even a few that turn it into a kind of disempowerment fantasy where the person going to another world ends up massively unsuited to their surroundings and has to crawl their way up from nothing. Not that I'd broaden "isekai" to mean every story where someone gets plopped into another world, just that it can be more varied.

I do think that it's an intentional theme that Sasha and Marcy had more cliched or "standard" fantasy world experiences serving the king or raising an army and having their own power trips while Anne just landed with some farmers and had a weird goofy time among the common frogs. I think a lot of fantasy worlds get lost in all the monster fighting and aristocratic maneuvering and ignore simple things like farming and living life. Anne also got to see more of the peculiarities of the world of frogs as opposed to just another fantasy world.

I gotta admit, I'm not as into seeing the mysteries of Los Angeles.

Pakled
Aug 6, 2011

WE ARE SMART
https://twitter.com/DisneyAPromos/status/1473679896958443533

All of S3 so far is now up on D+

Everyone
Sep 6, 2019

by sebmojo

Madurai posted:

I'm sure you feel it coming
There's something on the breeze
It might be slightly snowing,
Or 70 degrees
Regardless of your hemisphere
The holidays are here
And with them come the tidings of
This special time of year

A bucket of fried chicken
A costume for your dad
A demon who will stuff you
In a sack if you've been bad
A reindeer gets promoted
An old man confronts his fear
of karma and mortality
The special time of year

Whatever makes you happy
Whatever gets you through
Whatever lets you know that-
I am feeling this with you
If you believe it's special
Then that's what makes it special
It's a special, It's a special
It's our special time of year

Rebecca Sugar has a really pretty singing voice and the episode was really great.

I really liked the call-backs to the robot girls and Dr. Jan helping with the float.

And of course Dr. Jan crushing the Plantars' souls with Christmas knowledge.

Can we assume that Ally and Jess are in on the "Plantars are alien frog-people" secret now?

Technowolf
Nov 4, 2009

https://twitter.com/radrappy/status/1473733139663106057

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Grimey Drawer
Merry Xmas, thread!

Everyone
Sep 6, 2019

by sebmojo

TwoPair posted:

Merry Xmas, thread!

Anne is adorable with both frogs and robots - except for robot frogs. She's pretty much just violent there.

It's neat that Anne always seems to have stuff stuck in her hair - though this time it's holly and a candy cane.

Technowolf
Nov 4, 2009

https://twitter.com/Radrappy/status/1475629872667975680?cn=ZmxleGlibGVfcmVjcw%3D%3D&refsrc=email

kidcoelacanth
Sep 23, 2009

leaked s3b dialogue:

https://twitter.com/_AlexHirsch/status/1480347640747360256

Yvonmukluk
Oct 10, 2012

Everything is Sinister

That's missing some slight context, though.
https://twitter.com/Radrappy/status/1480341403263590400

Also:
https://twitter.com/Radrappy/status/1479562541625798656
Is this some kind of coded message?

Now I think about it, it was apparently 'Marcanne week' in the fandom last week, so...

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Grimey Drawer
Oh wow I didn't realize they actually made merch, that's nice

Cattail Prophet
Apr 12, 2014

Yvonmukluk posted:

Also:
https://twitter.com/Radrappy/status/1479562541625798656
Is this some kind of coded message?

Now I think about it, it was apparently 'Marcanne week' in the fandom last week, so...

I think I read somewhere that Matt's on record that no ships between any of the main trio will be canon, which, fair. They're only thirteen; plenty of time for them to navigate any potential romance after the show ends, and there's no need to alienate the rival ships unnecessarily.

Elman
Oct 26, 2009

Sprigg and Ivy better end up together tho, those 2 are adorable :colbert:

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

He plays for the dreamers that forgot how to dream, and the lovers that forgot how to love.

Elman posted:

I loved their first episode where people were getting weird about it and learned their lesson only for it to end with (Paraphrased):

Sprigg: I'm just glad that people appreciate that we are just good friends.
Ivy waves goodbye
Anne: You just fell in love with her didn't you.
Sprigg: Yup, I just fell in love with her...

kidcoelacanth
Sep 23, 2009

Elman posted:

i mean they already are together, canonically

Technowolf
Nov 4, 2009

https://twitter.com/DisneyAPromos/status/1483855691227885573

tokin opposition
Apr 8, 2021

I don't jailbreak the androids, I set them free.

WATCH MARS EXPRESS (2023)

owl house deserves it more imo

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Grimey Drawer
Oh definitely. The IT girls' implied relationship and RuPaul being in it don't really make it a bastion of representation.

Technowolf
Nov 4, 2009

Technowolf posted:

March 19th!

https://twitter.com/OverlyAnimated/status/1491951443850453018

Has been confirmed as real by both Dana and Matt.

Pakled
Aug 6, 2011

WE ARE SMART
We got some upcoming episode titles from the link in that tweet too.

19/3/2022 - "Escape to Amphibia"

26/3/2022 - "Commander Anne / Sprivy"

Technowolf
Nov 4, 2009

https://twitter.com/danaterrace/status/1492730607343861763

Madurai
Jun 26, 2012

Anne not missing shoe, immersion ruined.

Yvonmukluk
Oct 10, 2012

Everything is Sinister

Madurai posted:

Anne not missing shoe, immersion ruined.

That's her LA outfit, unless she loses her shoe returning to Amphibia it's canon-compliant. :colbert:

Cattail Prophet
Apr 12, 2014

Oh neat, I just discovered that King Andrias is named after the genus to which giant salamanders belong. At least I assume so; it'd be one hell of a coincidence otherwise.

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

He plays for the dreamers that forgot how to dream, and the lovers that forgot how to love.
I kind of like the running gag that because the 3 most powerful creatures in Amphibia that people thought of in that way were 3 teenage girls, a lot of big-deal figures have started taking behavioural cues from them, like Andreas ending his call to the invisible robot with a kawaii pose. I also like the recurring thing that Grimes and Sasha act as a balancing act for each other, Sasha helping him relate to his peers initially in a manipulative way that became genuine the more he practiced it, and in turn him teaching HER a thing or two about genuine empathy now that he's stopped trying to block it out and realised that his most powerful allies are those that WANT to be with him.

Technowolf
Nov 4, 2009

Synopsis released for the announced episodes.

quote:

“Escape to Amphibia” With one shot at getting the Plantars back to Amphibia, Anne and her parents must go up against Mr. X and the FBI.

“Commander Anne/Sprivy”
“Commander Anne” – Anne is made leader of the Wartwood Resistance, even though she’s not good at the job.
“Sprivy” – Sprig and Ivy devise a scheme to be together.

IUG
Jul 14, 2007

Just started watching this show again after giving Owl House a second watch. I just picked up that in the very first episode Anne’s eyes glow blue when she stands up to the mantis. I figured there are hidden things like that in both shows that I missed. I was expecting this kind of thing thanks to Gravity Falls.

Everyone
Sep 6, 2019

by sebmojo

IUG posted:

Just started watching this show again after giving Owl House a second watch. I just picked up that in the very first episode Anne’s eyes glow blue when she stands up to the mantis. I figured there are hidden things like that in both shows that I missed. I was expecting this kind of thing thanks to Gravity Falls.

Watching both shows multiple times will let you pick up on some subtle things. That said, neither show does the full-on "every show contains a super-duper secret message" thing that Gravity Falls did.

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

Everyone posted:

Watching both shows multiple times will let you pick up on some subtle things. That said, neither show does the full-on "every show contains a super-duper secret message" thing that Gravity Falls did.

Eh, owl house has some things like the first letter of each episode title forming a season long message hinting at the main plot element.

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Grimey Drawer

BioEnchanted posted:

Eh, owl house has some things like the first letter of each episode title forming a season long message hinting at the main plot element.

:eyepop: I never noticed that

Technowolf
Nov 4, 2009

BioEnchanted posted:

There are also hidden words in a cipher in each episode of the Owl House that reveal something important to the plot.

Canuckistan
Jan 14, 2004

I'm the greatest thing since World War III.

Soiled Meat
My 8 year old daughter and I have gone through Gravity Falls, Amphibia, Owl House, Hilda, and Kiko and the Age of Wonderbeasts.

Anyone else have any suggestions for other series which have a strong female presence? I've tried her with Steven Universe and She-Ra but they didn't click for her. I would prefer a series with decent character progression as well.

On a personal note, it's really amazing how these shows really boost the visibility of LGQBT+ people. Such a huge improvement over when I was a kid watching cartoons in the 80s. I've been pointing out these things as went along, in a 'isn't it nice that..." kind of way, and she didn't bat an eye when someone has two dads or the Luz/Amity relationship.

Canuckistan fucked around with this message at 12:31 on Feb 20, 2022

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

Canuckistan posted:

My 8 year old daughter and I have gone through Gravity Falls, Amphibia, Owl House, Hilda, and Kiko and the Age of Wonderbeasts.

Anyone else have any suggestions for other series which have a strong female presence? I've tried her with Steven Universe and She-Ra but they didn't click for her. I would prefer a series with decent character progression as well.

On a personal note, it's really amazing how these shows really boost the visibility of LGQBT+ people. Such a huge improvement over when I was a kid watching cartoons in the 80s. I've been pointing out these things as went along, in a 'isn't it nice that..." kind of way, and she didn't bat an eye when someone has two dads or the Luz/Amity relationship.

Kid Cosmic is a fun one, while Kid himself is a boy, there are just as many women on the team as men, especially by the second season, and there are strong emotional arcs like Papa G being willing to do anything to keep Kid Cosmic happy regardless of whether it will be good for him in the long run or not. It's by the same creator as the Powerpuff Girls, Craig McCracken. While Kid himself can be a bit much, there are enough looks into his psyche that by the midpoint of season 1 you start to understand WHY he is so extra.

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

Steven Universe takes a while to get rolling if you're more interested in narrative stuff. You could try jumping to the Mirror Gem/Ocean Gem episodes to see if that sparks interest, but there will still be plenty of episodes where they're just goofing around instead of continuing a story. I want to try recommending OK KO, although honestly it has a lot of the issues of Steven Universe and is never all that serious, but it's way higher-energy.

Star vs. The Forces of Evil is pretty good. The first season has similar problems with there not being an overarching narrative yet, but it's high school episodes instead of lazing around a beach town outside of tourist season, so if she liked Owl House, that might be more interesting to her.

You could also getting into Clone Wars or Rebels, which might have their own stretches without a lot of overarching narrative, but they're full of space battles, and there is always the state of the war ever-developing through things. Ahsoka steadily grows as a character throughout Clone Wars, but if you're watching through that, the last season is fairly mature and you might wanna save that for later. It ends with Ahsoka having to survive Order 66. Similarly, the Bad Batch show that follows Clone Wars can be pretty mature.

Infinity Train is also pretty good, and also gets a bit more mature in later seasons. Lots of character development in that one, but each season is about a different set of characters.

Over the Garden Wall is fantastic, only 10 episodes, has a weird thing going on where it homages 19th century comics, and is great to watch in the fall.

Technowolf
Nov 4, 2009

https://twitter.com/DisneyAPromos/status/1502087744532615168

Acebuckeye13
Nov 2, 2010

Against All Tyrants

Ultra Carp
You should probably spoiler tag those.

Technowolf
Nov 4, 2009

Rest of the dates for S3 announced:
https://twitter.com/DisneyChannel/status/1503793167782584324

Technowolf
Nov 4, 2009

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SHW9sK044C4

https://twitter.com/TOKYOPOP/status/1504895568996605952

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Everyone
Sep 6, 2019

by sebmojo
"Hope she doesn't kill anyone." I love Mr. Boonchuy.

Meanwhile, I hope that we get semi-regular check backs in with the Boonchuys and the others. Loved how all their Earth friends came together to help the Plantars and Anne get back to Amphibia. The last bit on Earth looked like the Boonchuys were going to clue Agent X in on the threat of King Andrias. Hopefully that gets Anne some Earth help but not in an "Operation Nuke Imaginationland Through the Imaginationland Doorway" kind of way.

Everyone fucked around with this message at 21:23 on Mar 19, 2022