Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Acebuckeye13
Nov 2, 2010

If you or someone you know has a gambling problem, crisis counseling and referral services can be accessed by calling
1-800-GAMBLER

Ultra Carp

Created by former Gravity Falls director Matt Braly, Amphibia tells the story of Anne Boonchuy, a 13 year-old Thai-American girl lost in the strange land of Amphibia—a weird and wonderful world populated by giant bugs, monstrous birds, and sentient amphibians. Together with a helpful family of frogs, Anne must learn to adapt to this new world, reunite with her fellow friends from earth, and find a way to return home.

So why watch Amphibia? There's a few reasons! As mentioned, show creator Matt Braly previously on Gravity Falls, and won an Annie Award for his work on the episode Northwest Mansion Mystery. As showrunner of Amphibia, Braly has done his best to bring forward the same level of quality in his show's animation, music, and writing—and though Amphibia isn't quite on the same level of Gravity Falls, if you liked that show, there's a lot to like here. Whereas Gravity Falls focused on mystery, however, Amphibia is about characters, and how people change and adapt to new situations. Anne in particular grows tremendously over the course of the first two seasons, learning to become her own person when removed from the shadow of her toxic friendships. There is also (almost) zero shipping, which for many folks is a big plus!

Amphibia aired its second season finale True Colors on May 22nd, 2021, and Season 3 is set to begin airing on October 2nd. The status quo is set to change significantly in Season 3, complete with a new intro! So if you're new to the show, or have been meaning to catch up, now is a very good time to do so.

For those who haven't seen the show, but are interested in giving it a shot, the first two episodes are currently up on YouTube for free. Check 'em out!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XX3uta-AuEg

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Everyone
Sep 6, 2019

by sebmojo
Oct 2 can't come soon enough. I needs me some more froggie time. Also, I just really like Anne Boonchuy as a character. She brave, compassionate and good-hearted but she can also be selfish, lazy, materialistic. She feels like a real person with real flaws. Actually that's how most of the characters seem to me.

kidcoelacanth
Sep 23, 2009

true colors popped off in a way a lot of cartoons do not and it's got me hooked hard on season 3

Madurai
Jun 26, 2012

I'm interested to see how they're going to manage two very non-interacting plot threads moving forward. ( I think that's vague enough not to spoiler for new arrivals)

Yvonmukluk
Oct 10, 2012

Everything is Sinister

Quoting myself from the general kids' show thread:

Huh, I only just learned that Brad Breeck is doing The Owl House's soundtrack, but I also learned he pitched for the Amphibia theme:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pmbWtMN6Abg

It's great (especially when the banjo kicks in), but I think they nailed it with the theme they went with. Maybe they could have used it for Wax Museum somehow...

Speaking of Amphibia and its soundtrack, I rewatched the latter half of Season 2 and I didn't notice until now that they'd been seeding the motif of No Big Deal/Anne's Power through some of the earlier episodes all along. Neat!

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Every species can smell its own extinction.
Watching this these days and the Getter Robo vegetable monsters had me in stitches.

Beachcomber
May 21, 2007

Another day in paradise.

Slippery Tilde
Amphibia Finale: Holy gently caress.

Amphibia season 3 trailer/opener: :getin:

evilmiera
Dec 14, 2009

I have only watched a few episodes so far, but the show does seem interesting. I want to know more about the main story though, these early fun but seemingly inconsequential stories are dragging a bit.

galenanorth
May 19, 2016

evilmiera posted:

I have only watched a few episodes so far, but the show does seem interesting. I want to know more about the main story though, these early fun but seemingly inconsequential stories are dragging a bit.

In episode 10, Sasha is captured by Toad Tower, led by Captain Grime, who leads with an iron fist...poorly. Sasha uses her skills from being a popular girl bully to teach Captain Grime how to win people's hearts through social engineering, compliments, etc. and becomes Captain Grime's co-equal. This sets up conflict with Anne in the last two episodes of the season, because the toads invade Wartwood, and Sasha doesn't see Anne's adopted family as "real", like they were stuck in a video game or something instead of having gone through a portal. In the second season, the Planter family (plus/including Anne) go on a road trip to Newtopia, city of the scholarly newts who lord over the toad warrior class and the frog farmer peasant class. They arrive in the second half and meet Anne's academically gifted, clumsy, human friend Marcy, who has been working for King Andrias. King Andrias promises to send Anne, Sasha, and Marcy back home after they charge up the music box, the device they stole at a pawn shop through which they came, at three temples. Meanwhile, Sasha has become best friends with Captain Grime, and they are both fugitives because Captain Grime has been branded a traitor after the toppling of Toad Tower. At this point, Sasha plans on helping Captain Grimes lead a toad uprising against Newtopia because she has become invested in toads as actual people.

galenanorth fucked around with this message at 01:56 on Aug 19, 2021

Everyone
Sep 6, 2019

by sebmojo

galenanorth posted:

In episode 10, Sasha is captured by Toad Tower, led by Captain Grime, who leads with an iron fist...poorly. Sasha uses her skills from being a popular girl bully how to teach Captain Grime how to win people's hearts through social engineering, compliments, etc. and becomes Captain Grime's co-equal. This sets up conflict with Anne in the last two episodes of the season, because the toads invade Wartwood, and Sasha doesn't see Anne's adopted family as "real", like they were stuck in a video game or something instead of having gone through a portal. In the second season, the Planter family (plus/including Anne) go on a road trip to Newtopia, city of the scholarly newts who lord over the toad warrior class and the frog farmer peasant class. They arrive in the second half and meet Anne's academically gifted, clumsy, human friend Marcy, who has been working for King Andrias. King Andrias promises to send Anne, Sasha, and Marcy back home after they charge up the music box, the device they stole at a pawn shop through which they came, at three temples. Meanwhile, Sasha has become best friends with Captain Grime, and they are both fugitives because Captain Grime has been branded a traitor after the toppling of Toad Tower. At this point, Sasha plans on helping Captain Grimes lead a toad uprising against Newtopia because she has become invested in toads as actual people.

And also because "Maybe I don't wanna go home and rule a school. Maybe I wanna stay here and rule a kingdom."

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Pandamn It Feels Good To Be A Gangsta
Grimey Drawer
I just watched the first couple of episodes of this way back when they first popped up free online and wasn't very impressed but just decided to power through and watch a bunch more after seeing the General Kids show discussion thread gush so much about it, and I gotta say it really has a way of growing on you. Haven't finished season 2 yet but I'm definitely in it for the long haul.

If I had one complaint so far it's that they spend all of season 1 building up a lot of the side characters in Wartwood and kind of building Anne's character up via her interactions with them and then they threw all of them out the window by going on the road trip in season 2. I guess the closest analogue I can think of would be if partway through Steven Universe, Steven and the Gems just picked up and went on a space adventure leaving the whole rest of the cast behind (actually based on a lot of peoples' complaints about SU I think there's a lot of people that wouldn't have minded that at all :v:). I mean I get why they did it from a sheer narrative standpoint and it's not like the Plantars are boring or anything, it's just something I've not seen done before and I personally think it's to the show's detriment.

...That said, I did just finish s2 episode 10 and I think it's probably Wally's return that kind of stirred that feeling up. (also I can't believe it took 49 episodes that long to get Matt Vogel on to do a Kermit impression/joke, although they didn't work a YAAAAY in, which is points off)

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

I marked at the blink-and-you'll-miss-it image of Anne dressed like Char Aznable.

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Grimey Drawer
13 episodes into season 2 now and well, the show made me eat my own words by having everyone go back home. Thoughts from the last batch I watched:
  • Marcy seems like a very cool character and I hope she doesn't end up being secretly evil like the king definitely is.
  • Matt Braly casting his own mom as Anne's mom is very sweet.
  • I knew they would have to address Sprig and Polly's parents eventually and I thought I'd be ready but the way it happened in Hopping Mall was so unexpected and was an absolute gutpunch. Like drat, that poo poo hit hard
  • But the same episode had Anne and Sprig parry and smash some randos like Smash Bros Ultimate and I had to roll it back like twice to go like "Wait did they...?" loving fantastic quick missable joke.
  • The Treehouse Of Horror style Halloween episode was pretty great (complete with creepy title sequence and end credits, nice touch. For some reason I really really love when shows alter their title sequences for special episodes).

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Grimey Drawer
So I started this show after seeing people keep going "whoa True colors" with great big CIA walls of spoiler text and now after watching everything... whoa True Colors. and now I guess I'll put a bunch of spoiler text down too I guess since this thread is still on its first page and I don't want potential new viewers to get spoiled like I was. I didn't have everything get spoiled for me but I did watch the preview of season 3 with Anne and the Plantars in the real world so I knew Sprig wasn't going to die when he was tossed out the window. But poo poo, I didn't see the rest going down the way it did. Hell, since I was watching a bunch of episodes back-to-back I had lost track of time and genuinely thought the episode/season might end when Sasha tried to send Anne back the first time and then season 3 would be Anne & co. trying to get back to stop Sasha but boy her coup turning out to be just-by-accident was a turn I didn't see coming. Similarly I knew the blue gem not getting charged would have consequences down the line but I figured that oh, maybe the box would go haywire or something, and maybe that would be how Anne got sent home alone without Sasha or Marcy, not that Anne would go loving Super Saiyan (Super Saiy-Anne :rimshot:) Blue and end up having a punch off against the King's loving AT field. And I knew the Frobo factories were another Chekov's gun that would be fired later but didn't expect it to just suddenly happen the minute the tower got flying. I kind of thought there was a small chance Marcy would wind up being secretly evil just because she seemed too cool to be all good and because stealing the box was her idea in the first place, I did not expect her to have actually intentionally warped everyone there and be just criminally naive.

But anyway, after seeing all the reactions I knew something really big was coming so I figured a death might be on the table but I thought it would be Sasha due to redemption by death being such a common thing in shows/movies (and since Sasha already kind of tried to die for Anne's sake once in the show already) or maybe that Grime would have a face turn (which I guess he kind of did) and maybe he would get redemption-via-death but I did not see Marcy getting loving impaled with a lightsaber. Just... goddamn dude.

edit: one of the nicest minor touches is when Anne's having her slow pre-powerup flashbacks is literally just showing the season 1 end credits of her and Sprig reading by candlelight from Anne's POV instead of having it be a thing that just happens in the background like a lot of other shows do.

Anyway, this show has in a matter of days gone from being a show I didn't care about to one of the most consistently funny shows I've seen in a long time to one of the shows I can't wait for the most in the whole drat year.

TwoPair fucked around with this message at 04:34 on Aug 22, 2021

Everyone
Sep 6, 2019

by sebmojo

TwoPair posted:

Anyway, this show has in a matter of days gone from being a show I didn't care about to one of the most consistently funny shows I've seen in a long time to one of the shows I can't wait for the most in the whole drat year.

Yes, it has a tendency to do that. You coming late for the show works for you a little bit. It comes back Oct. 2 of this year. So you get agony for maybe 5-6 weeks. The rest of us have been suffering the anticipation since May.

side_burned
Nov 3, 2004

My mother is a fish.
I like this show. Never thought I would see a kid friendly version of the Red Wedding.

Quinton
Apr 25, 2004

Season one is a slow build (though solid fun, if more slice-of-life-y than big-central-plot-y for the most part) but I think the investment in the characters and setting make the stakes more real in season two when things really start moving. I'm massively looking forward to see where things go in season three now.

Everyone
Sep 6, 2019

by sebmojo

Quinton posted:

Season one is a slow build (though solid fun, if more slice-of-life-y than big-central-plot-y for the most part) but I think the investment in the characters and setting make the stakes more real in season two when things really start moving. I'm massively looking forward to see where things go in season three now.

That one clip showing the opening of Season 3 with Anne reuniting with her parents and meeting the Plantars made me tear up a bit and hunger for more. I still get a kick out of the idea that Matt Braly's mother is voicing Anne's mother.

Technowolf
Nov 4, 2009

Everyone posted:

That one clip showing the opening of Season 3 with Anne reuniting with her parents and meeting the Plantars made me tear up a bit and hunger for more. I still get a kick out of the idea that Matt Braly's mother is voicing Anne's mother.

Some kids give their mother macaroni art.

Some kids give their moms entire animated shows.

Everyone
Sep 6, 2019

by sebmojo

Technowolf posted:

Some kids give their mother macaroni art.

Some kids give their moms entire animated shows.

He probably gave her macaroni art once upon a time as well.

Technowolf
Nov 4, 2009

https://twitter.com/Radrappy/status/1429631214453882888

Everyone
Sep 6, 2019

by sebmojo

Perhaps Disney has been cowed by the vast power of Etsy?

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Grimey Drawer
I'm just pretty sure Disney doesn't give a poo poo about anything that's not a superhero or a princess, merch-wise at least. At least I sure can't think of the last time I saw something TV animation wise in a store. I think Kim Possible had some lovely GBA games but the era of bad licensed games is behind us I think.

e: actually never mind, I forgot Phineas & Ferb was a merchandising juggernaut. Of course that show had the advantage of airing back when there weren't 50 streaming services around killing cable...

Everyone posted:

Perhaps Disney has been cowed by the vast power of Etsy?

Although I honestly wouldn't be shocked if that is actually a factor.

TwoPair fucked around with this message at 04:44 on Aug 27, 2021

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

I do think Disney's TV division suffers from being a very, very small fish in the ocean that is the entire Disney company, and Phineas and Ferb benefited from some special executive attention. And it doesn't help that the heavily segregated toy industry doesn't really know what to do with IPs that have broader appeal.

But more than that, I think there's time working against things. Phineas and Ferb ran for 8 years and is still kind of around, and while I can't really put together a timeline for the merchandise, I can find a press release for t-shirts showing up in Disney Stores a year in, the first press release for toys is from four years in.

https://investor.childrensplace.com/news-releases/news-release-details/phineas-and-ferb-collection-debuts-disney-store
https://chipandco.com/phineas-and-ferb-merchandise-coming-to-disney-parks-37468/

And y'know, that's when Disney was desperate to fill the Disney Store with specifically Disney-branded merchandise, and before Disney acquired like half the movie industry. And the Disney Store is being mostly shut down. Disney's not gonna be scraping the bottom of any barrels for a long time.

Everyone
Sep 6, 2019

by sebmojo

TwoPair posted:

Although I honestly wouldn't be shocked if that is actually a factor.

I was kidding. At least I thought I was kidding. I thought Etsy was just where people would flog their home-made stuff and if Disney told them to tell SuperFrogggrrl6154 or whoever to stop selling Sprig and Polly plush dolls because they're trademarked, that would be that.

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Grimey Drawer

Everyone posted:

I was kidding. At least I thought I was kidding. I thought Etsy was just where people would flog their home-made stuff and if Disney told them to tell SuperFrogggrrl6154 or whoever to stop selling Sprig and Polly plush dolls because they're trademarked, that would be that.

I mean I'm sure if Disney told them to then yeah they'd definitely knock it off. But what I was kind of getting at is that if a show's not a super mega hit* than it seems like Disney's not gonna make merch. And even if they were going to, Etsy strikes fast and if people really want a Sprig plush they're gonna get one before Disney can make and market their own.

*I can't see can't be bothered to look up Nielsen numbers and I don't think Disney+ releases hard numbers about what's popular, so I do not know what Disney's hits are. I know Amphibia (and the Owl House) are really popular online, but in the grand scheme of things, people posting loudly on Twitter are a small subset of the total audience of any given show (or they're a large subset and that goes back to the problem of them only doing merch for guaranteed slam dunk super hits.).

Pakled
Aug 6, 2011

WE ARE SMART
It is difficult to say exactly how Disney makes decisions, but several creators associated with Disney Channel and Cartoon Network have said that in this day and age, social media buzz is a big factor in how those networks make programming decisions.

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Pakled posted:

It is difficult to say exactly how Disney makes decisions, but several creators associated with Disney Channel and Cartoon Network have said that in this day and age, social media buzz is a big factor in how those networks make programming decisions.

And yet no more Ducktales. Woo-hoo. :smith:

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

The entertainment industry is full of things where it's hard to say how successful something will be until you put it out and get your success or don't. There's a lot of gambling.

And the sad thing about their TV IPs is that regardless of how successful they may or may not be if you expanded them further, they will still be a blip compared to the massive 40-60 year-old franchises that they have already running, and more importantly, whatever exec would have to go out on a limb to expand them further probably won't bother to reserve the brain space for these comparative small potatoes to even think about doing any evaluation on whether they're worth pushing.

I think Disney is also more consolidated as a company, which causes these things to get lost in the mix, but on the flipside they have a lot easier of a time pushing their movie stuff in their TV division, as opposed to like how Cartoon Network actively resented DC Nation back when that was a thing because it came from a different part of the company.

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Grimey Drawer

MonsieurChoc posted:

And yet no more Ducktales. Woo-hoo. :smith:

I think the last show to make it past Disney's arbitrary 3 season rule is Kim Possible

e: poo poo forgot Phineas & Ferb again

cant cook creole bream
Aug 15, 2011
I think Fahrenheit is better for weather

TwoPair posted:

I think the last show to make it past Disney's arbitrary 3 season rule is Kim Possible

e: poo poo forgot Phineas & Ferb again

Also Star Vs the forces of evil. I heard that thise numbers were really disappointing for the execs and made them reinforce that stance.

Beachcomber
May 21, 2007

Another day in paradise.

Slippery Tilde
I'm not the only one who saw Marcy floating in the bacta tank in the season 3 trailer, right?

Technowolf
Nov 4, 2009

Beachcomber posted:

I'm not the only one who saw Marcy floating in the bacta tank in the season 3 trailer, right?

It's part of the S3 opener, so no

Beachcomber
May 21, 2007

Another day in paradise.

Slippery Tilde

Technowolf posted:

It's part of the S3 opener, so no

Mea culpa. It played at the end of the episode, so

Technowolf
Nov 4, 2009

Beachcomber posted:

Mea culpa. It played at the end of the episode, so

We'll probably get an actual trailer in a few weeks

Acebuckeye13
Nov 2, 2010

If you or someone you know has a gambling problem, crisis counseling and referral services can be accessed by calling
1-800-GAMBLER

Ultra Carp

Technowolf posted:

We'll probably get an actual trailer in a few weeks

In case you missed it, we did get this clip from Season 3 from Comic Con about a month back:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YnPjzmMIzrI

Technowolf
Nov 4, 2009

Acebuckeye13 posted:

In case you missed it, we did get this clip from Season 3 from Comic Con about a month back:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YnPjzmMIzrI

I have, but I'm thinking something more like this:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HYc7HRhA440

Technowolf
Nov 4, 2009

New short dropped:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sMuIgVaE9SQ

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012
In case you need a fix
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tcCAJu_PDsU

Adbot