Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Which horse film is your favorite?
This poll is closed.
Black Beauty 2 1.06%
A Talking Pony!?! 4 2.13%
Mr. Hands 2x Apple Flavor 117 62.23%
War Horse 11 5.85%
Mr. Hands 54 28.72%
Total: 188 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

VitalSigns
Sep 3, 2011

If you actually locked down it would be possible to more safely operate daycares for just the children of essential workers, rather than trying to staff in-person schools for every child in America as an uncontrolled pandemic rips its way through the staff and we have to cram three classes into a single room because half the teachers are out sick

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Professor Beetus
Apr 12, 2007

They can fight us
But they'll never Beetus

OddObserver posted:

A core difficulty is that essential stuff tends to be more in-person stuff.

Then you have strict NPI measures in place to limit contact in those cases. Encourage store pickup for those able to place their orders online, don't let entire families wander the store, eliminate the dumbass "I'm drinking a coffee" mask loopholes, etc. In person doesn't have to mean "in person in the dumbest possible way." I had to go get some work done on my car a month ago, and while waiting in the lobby a woman comes in with 3 children too young to be vaxxed and they all take their masks off and starts eating fast food the next table over. Because in the United States the virus is respectful of people who need to eat right loving now.

Mercury_Storm
Jun 12, 2003

*chomp chomp chomp*
Actually I would like to die for capitalism, thank you very much. Praise Number, praise the void.

Willa Rogers
Mar 11, 2005

TulliusCicero posted:

The Michigan GOP controlled Legislature put some kind of bullshit into school funding this year that basically cuts a school's funding for not staying open. I don't know if it actually passed or not

No, I meant the federal rules for federal funding.

The link that Mooseontheloose posted seems to confirm this, but it's a 44-page document so I'll take their word for it.

enki42
Jun 11, 2001
#ATMLIVESMATTER

Put this Nazi-lover on ignore immediately!

VitalSigns posted:

That's why you pay them not to work

"Here take this tiny amount of money and completely tank your career prospects for being 'lazy' and taking government money to not work."

In practice what this means is that either both people keep working anyways and it's pointless, or women stop working and the gender pay gap balloons.

Riptor
Apr 13, 2003

here's to feelin' good all the time

Professor Beetus posted:

Would you care to actually debate and discuss or are you just here to drive by shitpost?

I'm not particularly interested in 'debating and discussing' with the poster who responded to the risk of nuking the careers of parents with a flippant "there will still be plenty of pent up demand for consumer goods and office paperwork or whatever", no.

I said my piece, VS said theirs, and it was garbage

Professor Beetus posted:

Setting aside my personal belief that a good number of jobs in America are bullshit makework (particularly the well-paying ones) to ensure that the country can continue to moralize those unable to secure consistent employment, I'm sure you know that the current status quo during covid is already causing a good many businesses to shutter.

Yes and I was not advocating for maintaining the status quo. I was agreeing with both Mooseontheloose and virtualboyCOLOR's assertion that lockdowns are a tough sell at the moment while also pointing out that I disagreed with virtualboyCOLOR's assessment of why lockdowns aren't being supported. It's not a 'lack of funds' as they asserted, but the childcare issue as Mooseontheloose was stating. VitalSigns came in with some, in my opinion, facile suggestions that to me, betray the fact that if they have any childcare needs themselves they are, at the very least, not the same as mine.

VitalSigns, and seemingly you, then decided that this means I'm, you know, some disciple of capitalism who suggests we all sacrifice ourselves to Moloch or whatever

Riptor fucked around with this message at 20:27 on Jan 10, 2022

TulliusCicero
Jul 29, 2017

VitalSigns posted:

If you actually locked down it would be possible to more safely operate daycares for just the children of essential workers, rather than trying to staff in-person schools for every child in America as an uncontrolled pandemic rips its way through the staff and we have to cram three classes into a single room because half the teachers are out sick

It's loving this

The stupidity of all this is that they aren't even good at being evil captalist overlords because this plan is idiotic. It's not an efficient or coldly pragmatic way to do this at all that is good for the economy, because what's good for the economy is a still running school system that isn't a skeleton crew ravaged by plague and 5-50 kids in one class because they are either empty or bulging.

It's just "duuuuhhhhhh parents mad at computer, make children go to disease, but parents work. Grug good Economics Man!"

Having the schools collapse themselves doesn't help the kids and it certainly doesn't help the parents, but boy am I glad that we can all have a feel-good moment about Little Billy on oxygen while the Dow rises, because there was just no other way! :shepface:

virtualboyCOLOR
Dec 22, 2004

Mellow Seas posted:

If there was one useful rubric to spot posters that are wasting everybody's time, it would be an affirmative response to the question "if you were in charge, could you easily solve the nation's problems with Covid?" (works for almost any issue, btw)

Mellow Seas posted:

Trying to get Americans to think critically about capitalism is akin to getting fish to think critically about water.

That's probably overstating it, like, I think most people understand what it is, but don't consider how it contributes to their problems at all.

What I find funny is I think we actually agree more than we disagree however I think it may just come down to this:

There are a series of challenges that require the typically slow moving cogs of government to do something impactful. However, we have seen the government can actually move insanely fast when it comes to approving funds for the pentagon, bombing other countries, and bullshit CIA invented syndromes. As a result, regardless of the validity to reasons why the government is moving slow, there is appearance of the lack of will to do the right thing than a lack of ability.

I am unwilling to give the government the benefit of the doubt or entertain any excuses until the party in power demonstrates they are taking the pandemic at least as seriously as they are in funding things like apartheid state(s). Apparently funding death squads is the only time bullying is allowed in congress.

VitalSigns
Sep 3, 2011

enki42 posted:

"Here take this tiny amount of money and completely tank your career prospects for being 'lazy' and taking government money to not work."

In practice what this means is that either both people keep working anyways and it's pointless, or women stop working and the gender pay gap balloons.
Why does it need to be a tiny amount of money

Why does it need to be legal to fire parents in a pandemic, it's illegal to fire soldiers from their civilian jobs in wartime, why is the future of our children less important than hunting for WMDs that didn't exist

Professor Beetus
Apr 12, 2007

They can fight us
But they'll never Beetus

Riptor posted:

I'm not particularly interested in 'debating and discussing' with the poster who responded to the risk of nuking the careers of parents with a flippant "there will still be plenty of pent up demand for consumer goods and office paperwork or whatever", no.

I said my piece, VS said theirs, and it was garbage

I don't really see any reason they should have provided more effort than your original dismissive post, tbh. Can you give some examples of jobs that would utterly cease to recover from a 4 week lockdown assuming that government financial assistance was available to both workers and employers?

VitalSigns posted:

Why does it need to be legal to fire parents in a pandemic, it's illegal to fire soldiers from their civilian jobs in wartime, why is the future of our children less important than hunting for WMDs that didn't exist

These are good points and if we had a functioning government it's something we could do. Sounds like it's something that other Western capitalist nations are doing, but that's American Exceptionalism for ya.

enki42
Jun 11, 2001
#ATMLIVESMATTER

VitalSigns posted:

It doesn't, but I'm viewing this from the lens of what practically would happen rather than what an ideal case would be.

quote:

It doesn't need to be firing at all to tank your career prospects. (It's also easy to fire people for reasons "completely unrelated" to them asking for leave without giving a reason). Ask any woman in a corporate job how advancement goes after you take an appropriate amount of time off for maternity leave (or just look at the statistics that will tell you the same thing).

I don't for what it's worth have any problem with economic supports or business closures in general, but giving parents optional supports isn't going to be effective at all. Parents aren't dumb, they know that taking months off when their coworkers don't isn't going to bode well for them.

Riptor
Apr 13, 2003

Professor Beetus posted:

I don't really see any reason they should have provided more effort than your original dismissive post, tbh. Can you give some examples of jobs that would utterly cease to recover from a 4 week lockdown assuming that government financial assistance was available to both workers and employers?

The post you quoted was dismissive, for sure. And I apologize; it's not in the spirit of the thread - I agree.

But my original post wasn't. I feel that I'm being made to agree with a mod in order to continue in this thread now. And I won't do that.

Enki42 is doing a good job of articulating my concerns

Regarde Aduck
Oct 19, 2012

c l o u d k i t t e n
Grimey Drawer

DethisaGift posted:

You think I have the capability for comedy I haven't watched a comedy in the last 5 years. I don't even watch TV or play Video Games anymore. I do absolutely nothing in my free time but think with existential dread about the collapse of mankind and scream at white people for ruining this world.

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

Lmao

Zarin
Nov 11, 2008

I SEE YOU

Illuminti posted:

I have literally been complaining to my wife for the last two weeks or so that my concentration is completely shot. I'm finding it very hard to concentrate for anything like the length of time i used to. I have a job that requires sitting on my own, being given a problem/task and working out how to solve it. I used to be able to crank out hours without getting up. Recently I can't do ten minutes.

I haven't have COVID, what I have had is nearly two years working at home on my own, lots of cancelled holidays, a bit to much drinking and to be honest projects I'm really not enjoying. I have the symptoms of long covid though!

Please don't doxx me or post my own internal monologue, thanks.

Fake edit: the working from home thing has been pretty great because lol if my employer would actually shell out the (to them, inconsequential) amount of money that I did on my workstation but yeah the rest of it kinda sucks!

Professor Beetus
Apr 12, 2007

They can fight us
But they'll never Beetus

Riptor posted:

And what job will I have to go back to once this lockdown you're proposing ends? How long will the lockdown be?

There are jobs that, if someone doesn't do them for a week, let alone multiple weeks or some indefinite period of time, the whole operation in question comes tumbling down. Again, I don't think that's being accounted for in these suggestions

Riptor posted:

The post you quoted was dismissive, for sure. And I apologize; it's not in the spirit of the thread - I agree.

But my original post wasn't. I feel that I'm being made to agree with a mod in order to continue in this thread now. And I won't do that.

Sorry if it comes across that way, it's not my intention to force you to agree. I was hoping that you could expand on your posts to provide more context on what industries would just collapse after being subsidized for 4 weeks. I also read back and realized that the post I thought was your OP was not, in fact, so mea culpa on that. Given that there's not really a chance of any of this happening here in the US anyway, I assume that the hypothetical in play is that a massive lockdown would coincide with both businesses and individuals being provided assistance, which could do a lot to eliminate the nature of people getting fired for taking necessary leave or complying with a government mandated lockdown.

enki42 posted:

It doesn't, but I'm viewing this from the lens of what practically would happen rather than what an ideal case would be.

It doesn't need to be firing at all to tank your career prospects. (It's also easy to fire people for reasons "completely unrelated" to them asking for leave without giving a reason). Ask any woman in a corporate job how advancement goes after you take an appropriate amount of time off for maternity leave (or just look at the statistics that will tell you the same thing).

I don't for what it's worth have any problem with economic supports or business closures in general, but giving parents optional supports isn't going to be effective at all. Parents aren't dumb, they know that taking months off when their coworkers don't isn't going to bode well for them.

Again, given the unlikelihood of massive lockdowns happening anyway, I was (and I presume Vital Signs as well) assuming we were discussing an ideal scenario rather than a half-assed version. If that's the disconnect here, I don't think most of us actually disagree on the reality of the situation.

Mooseontheloose
May 13, 2003

Riptor posted:

Yes and I was not advocating for maintaining the status quo. I was agreeing with both Mooseontheloose and virtualboyCOLOR's assertion that lockdowns are a tough sell at the moment while also pointing out that I disagreed with virtualboyCOLOR's assessment of why lockdowns aren't being supported. It's not a 'lack of funds' as they asserted, but the childcare issue as Mooseontheloose was stating. VitalSigns came in with some, in my opinion, facile suggestions that to me, betray the fact that if they have any childcare needs themselves they are, at the very least, not the same as mine.

VitalSigns, and seemingly you, then decided that this means I'm, you know, some disciple of capitalism who suggests we all sacrifice ourselves to Moloch or whatever

So If I can build a bridge here.

Shutting things down and paying people doesn't change certain facts that have to happen.

1. Education still needs to occur at some point.
2. Some businesses are going to take a hit.
3. Something have to be done in person.
4. There is no appetite for a Spring 2021 shutdown.

The bridge here is that no matter what system you are in. Something is getting traded off. Education time, work time, people's sanity, ect. Blithely saying its easy to make a decision or I would simply just X is not really a solution.

VitalSigns
Sep 3, 2011

enki42 posted:

Oh ok. I was viewing the discussion from a lens of what a government that actually wanted to address the problems would be doing.

You're correct that the US government would not pay most people enough to take time off their jobs nor protect their jobs, but the US government would not support a lockdown in the first place so the question of what our existing government would be willing to do to support a lockdown that it opposes anyway doesn't seem very interesting.

Yeah they'd tell us to get hosed in a lockdown. But for the same reason they'd never do a lockdown anyway so there's no need to worry about how the hypothetical situation would play out

HonorableTB
Dec 22, 2006
My weed store got so ronied that they had to close for today because every single staffer at that location is sick :( I'm friends with all of the budtenders there to the point of being on first name terms with them and this is horribly sad to see. This is in Seattle, a heavily vaccinated and left leaning area where our fully vaxxed rates for adults were over 90% a long time ago and boosters are in such high demand I had to wait a month for my shot after making an appointment. Now appointments are booked almost two months out for a booster at all locations I checked.

StratGoatCom
Aug 6, 2019

Our security is guaranteed by being able to melt the eyeballs of any other forum's denizens at 15 minutes notice

HonorableTB posted:

My weed store got so ronied that they had to close for today because every single staffer at that location is sick :( I'm friends with all of the budtenders there to the point of being on first name terms with them and this is horribly sad to see. This is in Seattle, a heavily vaccinated and left leaning area where our fully vaxxed rates for adults were over 90% a long time ago and boosters are in such high demand I had to wait a month for my shot after making an appointment. Now appointments are booked almost two months out for a booster at all locations I checked.

This is why you need to lockdown, poo poo will fall apart otherwise; it will start with the luxuries and move randomly down the Maslow pyramid until either something essential gets cut off or you hit the threshold for a economic failcascade as folks just flee for their own safety or hit the bricks as they no longer want to deal with the bullshit.

StratGoatCom fucked around with this message at 20:54 on Jan 10, 2022

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Public school teachers are callous dictators who won't lift a finger to stop children from peeing in my plane

Zarin posted:

Please don't doxx me or post my own internal monologue, thanks.

Most people are going through this. I'm going through this, I've spoken to a therapist about it, and the answer is: congratulations, your brain is working as designed! It's focusing on a perceived danger to the exclusion of other poo poo, and that means it's not going to work as well in other areas. The people who are simply living in blissful ignorance -- and I honestly do believe they're a minority, all things told -- are the ones whose evolutionary line would've ended because they thought "eh, that lion's not a big deal, I don't to have to worry about that" some time in the distant past.

It might not be helpful, or inform us how we might solve this problem for ourselves, but: be kind to yourself, and realize that this is the result of millions of years of evolution saying "yeah, it's actually pretty good to pay attention to danger, you should probably do that" even if it's really inconvenient at this exact moment in our lives.

Illuminti
Dec 3, 2005

Praise be to China's Covid-Zero Policy

Cabbages and Kings posted:

While these are, obviously, symptoms that can arise from myriad causes, you seem to be suggesting (correct me if I am wrong) that they are never "real" long covid symptoms?

Long covid appears to have a lot in common with ME/CFS, which has both fatigue and myalgia as symptoms.

If I got COVID and then I was dealing with unreasonable fatigue and headaches as a result months later, yeah, I'd feel like the virus had impaired me.

Have some people simply developed these symptoms from the stress of the experience? That sounds like reasonable conjecture that makes sense to me.

The anecdotal flipside is I know 3 people who still have hosed up taste/smell 8-12 months post COVID (in one case, an early-boosted, early breakthrough case) and one woman with pretty severe neurological problems that she's constantly being MRI'd for (post-wildtype, she's a "curiousity" to Dartmouth hospital) out of the ~30 people I know who have COVID, and a couple of them also reported general malaise persisting for quite a while.

The bottom line is, I think it's very reasonable to assume from the data that some number of people are dealing with headaches and fatigue as the result of a viral or post-viral condition, and suggesting that some or a lot of them may actually just be dealing with pandemic stress seems unhelpful, and, lacking any actual data about the prevalence of "real" long COVID, seems prone to leading to hopeful thinking which may be dangerous.

Nope, digging. Our kid got #1 on her 5th bday and #2 21 days later and everyone in my tiny rear end sleepy mountain community seems to be jabbing the gently caress out of our kids because we'd like to let them interact with marginally less anxiety.

Phone posting so will keep it brief. No, I'm not suggesting that these prolonged symptoms aren't real or caused by COVID. I am suggesting that prolonged or lingering symptoms are not unusual after a viral infection. I personally have had a cough that lasted 2months after a nasty cold some years ago and I'm sure everyone has had an illness that gave them long lingering issues way after the initial infection. Now though, it's long COVID.
What i dislike is the tendency to hold up someone suffering from really bad "long COVID" i.e bed ridden a year after infection and them bundling them into a study that says 20% of people infected get long COVID. When then definition of long COVID means having a cough for four weeks or breifly losing your sense of smell.

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Public school teachers are callous dictators who won't lift a finger to stop children from peeing in my plane

StratGoatCom posted:

This is why you need to lockdown, poo poo will fall apart otherwise; it will start with the luxuries and move randomly down the Maslow pyramid until either something essential gets cut off or you hit the threshold for a economic failcascade as folks just flee for their own safety or hit the bricks as they no longer want to deal with the bullshit.

I think what people don't understand is: things will shut down, regardless. You either do it controlled, or try to avoid it, and things will shut down completely at random and you have no control over it.

An analogy: one of the planes I was trained on has a "danger window" of about 17 mph, where if you have an engine failure after takeoff but less than 17mph over that speed, you probably can't reconfigure and climb on one engine (NB: this is a light trainer, not an airliner which must always be able to continue safely on one engine). So you have two choices: one is bad, and the other is worse. You can either commit to the idea your day is not going to end the way you'd hoped, and cut the remaining engine, and glide to a landing that might write off the plane and give you a few bruises, or you can try your best to do the impossible, and the torque from the operating engine will most likely flip your plane, and you're going to go into the ground upside down and almost certainly die.

You don't get the choice of a wonderful, safe landing. You get to choose between a rough landing, and a full-on crash. We are refusing the rough landing, because we still think we can avoid the crash when all signs point to that being impossible. It is folly.

Judakel
Jul 29, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 9 years!

How are u posted:

If New York City tried to enact as complete and full a shutdown as humanly possible right now today, it wouldn't make a drat lick of difference. People are free to continue to demand shutdowns on the internet, but unless another variant comes along and changes the equation they simply are not going to happen ever again. Americans are done with them, most people around the world are done with them.

Per usual, I would encourage folks to get their shots, wear their masks, take care of themselves and their loved ones as best they can, and let go of the things they can't control. It's an important step in staying resilient through very troubling times.

Well, it would minimize the spread in NYC.

StratGoatCom
Aug 6, 2019

Our security is guaranteed by being able to melt the eyeballs of any other forum's denizens at 15 minutes notice

PT6A posted:

I think what people don't understand is: things will shut down, regardless. You either do it controlled, or try to avoid it, and things will shut down completely at random and you have no control over it.

An analogy: one of the planes I was trained on has a "danger window" of about 17 mph, where if you have an engine failure after takeoff but less than 17mph over that speed, you probably can't reconfigure and climb on one engine (NB: this is a light trainer, not an airliner which must always be able to continue safely on one engine). So you have two choices: one is bad, and the other is worse. You can either commit to the idea your day is not going to end the way you'd hoped, and cut the remaining engine, and glide to a landing that might write off the plane and give you a few bruises, or you can try your best to do the impossible, and the torque from the operating engine will most likely flip your plane, and you're going to go into the ground upside down and almost certainly die.

You don't get the choice of a wonderful, safe landing. You get to choose between a rough landing, and a full-on crash. We are refusing the rough landing, because we still think we can avoid the crash when all signs point to that being impossible. It is folly.

Yet, that's it. Either spin down the economy safely, and run it through a healthy shutdown so you can restart in somewhat healthy fashion once you burn this outbreak out, or risk uncontrolled failure that risks, at best, America's superpower status and quite possibly a breakdown in order.

VitalSigns
Sep 3, 2011

Riptor posted:

Just out of curiosity, what do you think of arguments that paid family leave is a bad idea, because if parents take a month or two off to bond with their newborn they will be fired and it will derail their careers, so better to make them get a sitter and work for their own sake.

VitalSigns fucked around with this message at 21:30 on Jan 10, 2022

Mooseontheloose
May 13, 2003
I think the "worst" thing to happen to the Biden administration with regards to COVID is that in June things looked like they were going to go back to normal. Deaths were down, infections were down, and vaccination rate was rising. Then it all stalled out and here we are. There is a political calculus that if you go back, you are going to have to hear about how you said it would be over in X and no excuses. the problem of course, is that you risk it getting work.

The Biden administration should of said, until we hit X, Y, and Z benchmarks, I can't do these things for these businesses (flights, restaurants, whatever). I get why at the start they wanted to go velvet glove, forcing vaccination or making people feel forced could backfire but they need to start using some executive powers to get people in line.

Dick Trauma
Nov 30, 2007

God damn it, you've got to be kind.
At work the CEO has tested positive but has declared that he isn't contagious and will be coming in tomorrow. His admin team asked me to move their workstations to the other end of the building for at least this week, if not longer. He's furious about it.

I don't understand people who can disconnect from reality. He is prepared to come to work and sicken (possibly kill) those who keep him wealthy. Instead of determining if the risk is worth it, he simply decides that there is no risk at all.

enki42
Jun 11, 2001
#ATMLIVESMATTER

VitalSigns posted:

Just out of curiosity, what do you think of arguments that paid family leave is a bad idea, because if parents take a month or two off to bond with their newborn they will be fired and it will derail their careers, so better to make them get a sitter and work for their own sake.

This does have an observable effect. I think the solution is to normalize this, particularly among gender lines by things like "take it or leave it" paternity leave that's only available to the father, but you're legislating a societal change and you're not going to accomplish that in a timeframe that's reasonable for COVID response.

I think that parents should take paternity leave, but it's lovely that it has a measurable (and pretty strong) effect on their career, and COVID leave would only be worse (imagine how the CEO in the post above mine would respond to someone taking months off to watch their 5 year old during COVID).

Brave New World
Mar 10, 2010

enki42 posted:

This does have an observable effect. I think the solution is to normalize this, particularly among gender lines by things like "take it or leave it" paternity leave that's only available to the father, but you're legislating a societal change and you're not going to accomplish that in a timeframe that's reasonable for COVID response.

I think that parents should take paternity leave, but it's lovely that it has a measurable (and pretty strong) effect on their career, and COVID leave would only be worse (imagine how the CEO in the post above mine would respond to someone taking months off to watch their 5 year old during COVID).

Ever heard of Rosie the Riveter? A crisis like this is the exact moment that you push through inevitable social changes.

Riptor
Apr 13, 2003

VitalSigns posted:

I think those arguments are nonsense; I think we have failed at a societal level on not normalizing what little paid leave some of us have now to say nothing of the fact we should be expanding it significantly. I work at a large multinational company and half my team is in Europe; multiple people on that side of my team have taken 12-14 month leaves and I was lucky enough to scrape by with like, 2 months here in the US when my daughter was born.

But those leaves are far easier for organizations to absorb because outside of very atypical experiences they almost always have a many-month leadup for people to prepare and delegate work, and they have a finite length, even if the length is significant. They're also almost always staggered, just by the nature that people don't tend to synchronize having kids with their coworkers. That is substantially different than a lockdown of indeterminate length which may happen with very little warning and which would affect many people simultaneously.

Riptor fucked around with this message at 22:35 on Jan 10, 2022

Oracle
Oct 9, 2004

Brave New World posted:

Ever heard of Rosie the Riveter? A crisis like this is the exact moment that you push through inevitable social changes.

Perhaps you missed the part where the men came home from the war and Rosie had her rear end booted right back into the kitchen for another 20 years...

Alctel
Jan 16, 2004

I love snails

Dick Trauma posted:

At work the CEO has tested positive but has declared that he isn't contagious and will be coming in tomorrow. His admin team asked me to move their workstations to the other end of the building for at least this week, if not longer. He's furious about it.

I don't understand people who can disconnect from reality. He is prepared to come to work and sicken (possibly kill) those who keep him wealthy. Instead of determining if the risk is worth it, he simply decides that there is no risk at all.

Can you go to the media?

Alctel fucked around with this message at 22:44 on Jan 10, 2022

OddObserver
Apr 3, 2009

Dick Trauma posted:

AKA the people who actually run the company.

freebooter
Jul 7, 2009

Professor Beetus posted:

The point is that a forced shutdown of non-essential businesses could be done in a way that wouldn't result in people permanently losing work.

Are there any non-essential businesses that can't also be done from home aside from retail and hospitality? I'm trying to think and coming up blank, pretty much everything to do with supply and logistics and manufacturing is also at least partially important to critical services. i.e. you getting your car serviced - essential workers also need to get their car serviced, delivery trucks and vans need to be serviced, etc.

This isn't me disagreeing with the necessity of circuit breaker lockdowns, just saying the last couple of years have been fairly eye opening about how many people - maybe a majority of people - don't have bullshit white collar computer jobs.

Willa Rogers
Mar 11, 2005

freebooter posted:

Are there any non-essential businesses that can't also be done from home aside from retail and hospitality? I'm trying to think and coming up blank, pretty much everything to do with supply and logistics and manufacturing is also at least partially important to critical services. i.e. you getting your car serviced - essential workers also need to get their car serviced, delivery trucks and vans need to be serviced, etc.

This isn't me disagreeing with the necessity of circuit breaker lockdowns, just saying the last couple of years have been fairly eye opening about how many people - maybe a majority of people - don't have bullshit white collar computer jobs.

Here in the US of A I can't get a social-security issue resolved bc staff have been working from home for two years & yet don't have the connectivity to the computers that matter.

I had it temporarily resolved by going through my congressional rep's office, but there's no telling whether it's resolved for good or I'll have my benefits stop again for no reason.

But that's public employment, not private. Same issues with the IRS; I'm still waiting for a determination on an issue I had in 2019 but I just get computer-generated notices every six months that they'll get to it "soon."

The rep from my rep's office said that union negotiations are beginning this month as to whether workers have to go back to the offices where computers can talk to each other, so I'm hoping maybe in another year or so I'll get this poo poo resolved.

Dick Trauma
Nov 30, 2007

God damn it, you've got to be kind.

Alctel posted:

Can you go to the media?

I don't think it's big enough for anyone to care. But it offends me as a human being that when so many people are forced to work because they can't afford to get fired that a man rolling in money chooses to go to work and endanger everyone else.

EDIT: It wouldn't surprise me if he winds up staying home because his support team won't be right outside his door.

Dick Trauma fucked around with this message at 23:45 on Jan 10, 2022

Kavros
May 18, 2011

sleep sleep sleep
fly fly post post
sleep sleep sleep

Dick Trauma posted:

I don't think it's big enough for anyone to care. But it offends me as a human being that when so many people are forced to work because they can't afford to get fired that a man rolling in money chooses to go to work and endanger everyone else.

We still like our online name & shames with the receipts, as a collectively online nation. It could get attention.

LionArcher
Mar 29, 2010

Mooseontheloose posted:

This isn't the thread for it but the short version is right now, in person learning beats virtual learning. Also, kids seek services at their school that they can't get at home. But, closing school for a week or two is not going to effect things that badly which is what these districts should do.

You say this isn't the thread for it, but at the same time, you talk about "in person beats virtual learning". That's not the case when there are countless examples of this.

For instance
https://twitter.com/neuroecology/status/1479432438896017409?s=20

StratGoatCom
Aug 6, 2019

The idea of a choice between in person and distance fundamentally fails to grasp the problem, mind.

The choice is to either go to distance so that at some point in person can return, or not at all, because people aren't gonna martyr themselves much more for that.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FistEnergy
Nov 3, 2000

DAY CREW: WORKING HARD

Fun Shoe
https://twitter.com/BNODesk/status/1480667006815072264?t=7WZQsll0UL7Gr1qmgvMezw&s=19

1.1 million cases with 14 states left to report.

The Biden administration's vaccine-only strategy looks worse by the day. They gambled on the vaccines doing the work for them, and they lost.

Just an incredible number.