Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

CaptainSarcastic
Jul 6, 2013

shut up blegum posted:

Dropped my phone, cracked my screen. Sigh.
It was a Samsung Galaxy A51, it did everything I wanted it to do, so I'm looking to buy a similar phone. Briefly thought about getting the screen replaced, but that'll cost me 100-150 and that seems like a bit mich for a 2-3 year old phone.

Anyway, some quick googling pointed me in the direction of the Samsung Galaxy A52s 128GB 5G Enterprise Edition or the Motorola Moto G60 128GB. Both phones seem like they'd get the job done, and I had a Moto G phone in the past and liked it. But I'm looking for your input. Any other suggestions in the 200-350 EUR range?
One thing I kinda want is a notification led, but I'm sure I'll manage to live without that too.
-

The biggest problem with Motorola right now is a really poor approach to updates. Security updates are slow to arrive, OS updates even slower, and the number of software updates they promise is lower than industry standard. My two active phones are both Motorolas, and I really like the hardware and their minimalist spin on Android, but have been witnessing the update problem firsthand.

Also, I had to do some searching to figure out which processors the two phones you mention have, but the Samsung has a 778g while the Motorola has a 732g, and the former appears to be significantly more powerful than the latter, so you might want to take that into account in choosing between these or any other phones.

https://nanoreview.net/en/soc-compare/qualcomm-snapdragon-778g-5g-vs-qualcomm-snapdragon-732g

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ice Phisherman
Apr 12, 2007

Swimming upstream
into the sunset

So I'm a horrible luddite whose flip phone is falling apart as I've been dodging smartphones basically since they've come out. I've got a work from home job coming up that requires talking to people over the phone so I figured I'd bite the bullet and upgrade my tech for sake of convenience.

Refurbished or new is fine, I'm not fancy. Though I would prefer an iPhone as I live with someone who is familiar with how they work. I probably don't need a huge data plan as this will primarily be a work from home phone.

I'd like to keep under 70-80ish dollars a month between buying the phone and the monthly plan.

That's it. Thanks for the attention.

Killer_B
May 23, 2005

Uh?
Hi,

Curious, which Android-based phones compare relatively similarly to Apple's 2020 refresh of their SE model?

Before I got my older model SE some years back, the consensus seemed to be that going Apple was about the best price/performance ratio, even by those who were die-hard Android users....There just wasn't a great pick that wasn't overpriced, I guess?

The newer model SE hasn't been bad, but the screen definitely feels dimmer than the 1st edition, and battery life isn't quite what I'd like from it.

SweetMercifulCrap!
Jan 28, 2012
Lipstick Apathy
Probably the Pixel 5a or whatever the current "budget" Pixel is.

CaptainSarcastic
Jul 6, 2013

Ice Phisherman posted:

So I'm a horrible luddite whose flip phone is falling apart as I've been dodging smartphones basically since they've come out. I've got a work from home job coming up that requires talking to people over the phone so I figured I'd bite the bullet and upgrade my tech for sake of convenience.

Refurbished or new is fine, I'm not fancy. Though I would prefer an iPhone as I live with someone who is familiar with how they work. I probably don't need a huge data plan as this will primarily be a work from home phone.

I'd like to keep under 70-80ish dollars a month between buying the phone and the monthly plan.

You could sign up with a major carrier and the payments for the phone would be part of your monthly bill, postpaid. Or you could spend more up front and pay for the phone outright, and have a smaller monthly payment on a prepaid plan. A quick search showed official refurbished iPhones from Verizon for the first case, but I didn't check the others. I know Tracfone sells iPhones at fairly low prices for the latter, but I didn't see any refurbs.

I know there are some sites that specialize in people selling used phones, but I've never used one myself.

Choice of carrier can really vary depending on where you live - in my area the only reliable network is Verizon, but I know it's different in other parts of the country. You might check to see what carrier your cohabitor is using with their iPhone, and if they get decent signal.

One thing to be aware of is that there are only 3 carriers in the US - AT&T, T-Mobile, and Verizon. All the other names you see, like Tracfone, Consumer Cellular, Cricket, and so on, are all using one or more of the big 3 networks. So if you go with a smaller-name company for you carrier it is a good idea to try and figure out which network they are using, since that impacts what phones you can use and what signal you can expect in a given locale.

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

TFW you see Flyers goaltending.
Grimey Drawer

Ice Phisherman posted:

Your best bet is probably buying a phone outright and getting pay as you go plans, which are like, $30-50 for anywhere from 5GB to 15GB.

You can either just buy new and be done with it, or you can get a discount buying on swappa (or SA Mart from time to time).

I wouldn’t get older than an iPhone 11 at this point , but the 11, 12 and 13 should be fine , it’ll just depend on how much you want to spend. New is $500 for the 11, $700 for the 12 (although $50 more for 128GB vs 64GB), and $800 for the 13. Refurb / used will vary more, but you might save like, $100ish there?

Ofecks
May 4, 2009

A portly feline wizard waddles forth, muttering something about conjured food.

Well I went to a T-Mobile store hoping to resolve my issue of needing a new phone (and service), but I came away empty-handed. Apparently, you cannot xfer your previous phone # to their prepaid Connect service. That pretty much derailed the whole thing, I wasn't expecting it and I'm not yet mentally prepared for the hassle of changing my #. The employee said the Metro service might do it, "maybe". So I'll have to look into that. Although I doubt they're going to be able to beat Connect's 2.5 GB for $15/month.

Got some other useful tidbits of info (I came prepared with a list of questions):
- Phones bought outright from T-M are xferrable to another carrier but only after 90 days. I'm guessing their own brand (the REVVL V+ et al) are an exception and locked to the carrier but I forgot to ask.
- T-M, for whatever reason, does not carry the Samsung A42 5G, only the 32 and 52.
- Update service for various brands: Pixel - 5 years, Samsung - 4, Nokia/OnePlus - 3, Moto - 2 (as mentioned upthread)

My question for the thread is, if I end up going with T-M, I really don't want to spend $500 for an A52 that I have to ditch in 4 years, and the 32 seems fine for my needs but it has a MediaTek CPU. I generally try to avoid the cheapest Chinese electronics (I'd never buy something off Aliexpress, for example), but am I being overly concerned about having a Chinese CPU? The A32 has a Dimensity 720. Both performance and privacy are what worry me.

FWIW, they seemed kinda overstaffed at the location I went to. 5 employees huddled around the desk in the back of the store. There was only one other customer in there besides me (being helped by 2 of them). Maybe it was a training day or something.

alnilam
Nov 10, 2009

I like my Pixel 4a a lot, but I cracked the screen pretty badly and repair shops are quoting me 160 at the lowest. A good condition used pixel 4a is 260 on Swappa so I'll probably do that, as I've had mixed luck with repaired screens in the past.

Will I regret not upgrading to the 5a? Nothing bothers me at all about my 4a but I'm wondering if it's going to be unsupported soon or something annoying like that.

CaptainSarcastic
Jul 6, 2013

Ofecks posted:

Well I went to a T-Mobile store hoping to resolve my issue of needing a new phone (and service), but I came away empty-handed. Apparently, you cannot xfer your previous phone # to their prepaid Connect service. That pretty much derailed the whole thing, I wasn't expecting it and I'm not yet mentally prepared for the hassle of changing my #. The employee said the Metro service might do it, "maybe". So I'll have to look into that. Although I doubt they're going to be able to beat Connect's 2.5 GB for $15/month.

I find this highly dubious. I ported my number from Boost to AT&T Prepaid, and then again from AT&T to Verizon Prepaid. The one thing you'll need is your Boost account number, which requires calling their customer service (when they ask why you need it the common advice is to say "tax purposes" or something like that to avoid any customer retention spiel). If your Boost account is paid up, and you have the account number, I have a hard time imagining a major carrier refusing to port the number. The employees probably just didn't want to hassle with a number port.

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

Gummy Bear Heaven ... It's where I go when the world is too mean.
Carriers are legally required to release and port numbers. Maybe this was some internal inability to transfer your account, but if you want to go through the trouble, one can transfer their number to a different carrier and back.

sourdough
Apr 30, 2012

alnilam posted:

I like my Pixel 4a a lot, but I cracked the screen pretty badly and repair shops are quoting me 160 at the lowest. A good condition used pixel 4a is 260 on Swappa so I'll probably do that, as I've had mixed luck with repaired screens in the past.

Will I regret not upgrading to the 5a? Nothing bothers me at all about my 4a but I'm wondering if it's going to be unsupported soon or something annoying like that.

The 5a is quite a bit bigger than the 4a and is in a weird spot because the Pixel 6 doesn't cost that much more, especially on sale, for a much better phone. There's nothing wrong with the 4a, and I'd say it probably makes more sense to stick with it or go for the 6 if you want to upgrade rather than the 5a.

alnilam
Nov 10, 2009

Thanks, I do not want a physically bigger phone so I will probably get another 4a :cheers:

Ofecks
May 4, 2009

CaptainSarcastic posted:

I find this highly dubious. I ported my number from Boost to AT&T Prepaid, and then again from AT&T to Verizon Prepaid. The one thing you'll need is your Boost account number, which requires calling their customer service (when they ask why you need it the common advice is to say "tax purposes" or something like that to avoid any customer retention spiel). If your Boost account is paid up, and you have the account number, I have a hard time imagining a major carrier refusing to port the number. The employees probably just didn't want to hassle with a number port.

Huh. Thanks for the tips, I'll see about getting my Boost account number. If they ask me to elaborate "tax purposes", what do I tell them?

Uthor posted:

Carriers are legally required to release and port numbers. Maybe this was some internal inability to transfer your account, but if you want to go through the trouble, one can transfer their number to a different carrier and back.

Is this a federal or state law?

Maybe I should be doing this online. The brick-and-mortar wouldn't take my current phone for recycling anyway, one of the reasons I had in my head to get this done in person. I haven't checked whether signing up for Connect online gives an option to xfer phone #s.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Ofecks posted:

Is this a federal or state law?

Maybe I should be doing this online. The brick-and-mortar wouldn't take my current phone for recycling anyway, one of the reasons I had in my head to get this done in person. I haven't checked whether signing up for Connect online gives an option to xfer phone #s.
Federal.

Did you go to a corporate store or a reseller? Resellers are notorious for straight-up lying about what they can/can't do if it won't make them money.

Ofecks
May 4, 2009

Corporate, I'm pretty sure. There was a T-Mobile sign (a real, presumably lighted one; I went at 3pm) above the door. On Google Maps street view (latest capture was 2019), it is a Sprint sign.

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

Grimey Drawer

Ofecks posted:

Corporate, I'm pretty sure. There was a T-Mobile sign (a real, presumably lighted one; I went at 3pm) above the door. On Google Maps street view (latest capture was 2019), it is a Sprint sign.

Well, if you have Boost that means you don’t have sprint / T-Mobile at all, Dish Network owns boost now.

So, the weird thing is that T-Mobile has a vested interest in keeping your numbers, carriers biggest focus is always new customer lines.

That said, yes, it is federal law, as long as your account is active (IE not shut off due to non pay), you can keep your number.

The “I just need it for tax reasons” is just to avoid the carrier giving you a hassle. You can tell them you are switching. It’s just very , very well known in the cell phone industry, the only reason you need your account number is to switch carriers, so when you say “I need my account number” people know immediately why.

Now, is it good long term business practice to make someone’s life hell when they’re gonna switch anyway? No, but you know, corporate America , etc.

Also, most stores are now indirect. Even if it shows T-Mobile , they make them look very , very similar to corporate stores. Unfortunately.

Anyway, yeah I would go online or check other pay as you go options.

Echophonic
Sep 16, 2005

ha;lp
Gun Saliva
I mean, it was years ago, but I definitely didn't have issues going from Virgin Mobile (RIP) to T-Mobile prepaid with my Nexus 5. I'm currently doing something similar with my mother, she's going from an old Boost phone (I think a LG X Charge running the incredibly fancy Android 7) over to a Pixel 4a, probably to either T-Mo or Consumer Cellular.

Apparently she just asked for the account number and they gave it to her without any hassle, which surprised me.

Cup Runneth Over
Aug 8, 2009

She said life's
Too short to worry
Life's too long to wait
It's too short
Not to love everybody
Life's too long to hate

E: nvm, keeping my current phone

Cup Runneth Over fucked around with this message at 03:55 on Jan 23, 2022

CaptainSarcastic
Jul 6, 2013

Ofecks posted:

Huh. Thanks for the tips, I'll see about getting my Boost account number. If they ask me to elaborate "tax purposes", what do I tell them?

"I don't know, work just told me that I need it."

It really isn't a big deal - I was honest with the rep I talked to, and only later saw the advice on giving a bullshit reason. I straight-up told the rep I had to change carriers because my home doesn't get T-Mobile signal (which Boost was going to switch to), and it would've been true now they are switching to AT&T. In fact, that's also the reason I gave AT&T for switching, because the only carrier who reaches my house now is Verizon. It's hard to do retention when your signal doesn't reach the customer.

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

I actually had to cancel a number like 15 years ago because I was switching to a plan that wasn't available in my area (used my parents' address, needed a local area code) and when they tried to get me to stay, I told them the details and they were "oh, we can't match that. Bye!" Most painless cancelation ever!

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

Grimey Drawer

Uthor posted:

I actually had to cancel a number like 15 years ago because I was switching to a plan that wasn't available in my area (used my parents' address, needed a local area code) and when they tried to get me to stay, I told them the details and they were "oh, we can't match that. Bye!" Most painless cancelation ever!

Oh yeah, this is a good point and the only exception to the rule is if the number isn’t serviced in a specific area.

There’s only set of numbers I’ve still run into with this, and it’s certain numbers from the remaining amount of US Cellular areas. Like, middle of Missouri, pockets of Wisconsin and Indiana, and one or two other areas, I very occasionally get a number that legit comes up “cannot be transferred,” and my only solution is to tell them to move it to google voice and get a new number with said new carrier. But yeah, it’s extremely rare.

Cup Runneth Over posted:

Country/Provider: US
Current contract status: None
Budget (phone/plan): $500/$60 (considering switching to US Mobile atm)
Features I know I want: Android, fingerprint unlock, BYOD, has an Otterbox

Switching away from Cricket because you know why. If you've got a decent plan provider that will take my old Sprint Note 8 I'll accept that too.

If you need Verizon prepaid directly (I’m guessing you mean coverage?), prepaid unlimited starts at $65, goes to $60 with autopay , after 3 months $55, and then after 9 months goes as low as $50 a month.

Not sure if that’s what you are looking for, but fyi. Your Note 8 should work, most new phones sold in the US will as well.

CaptainSarcastic
Jul 6, 2013

Duckman2008 posted:

Oh yeah, this is a good point and the only exception to the rule is if the number isn’t serviced in a specific area.

There’s only set of numbers I’ve still run into with this, and it’s certain numbers from the remaining amount of US Cellular areas. Like, middle of Missouri, pockets of Wisconsin and Indiana, and one or two other areas, I very occasionally get a number that legit comes up “cannot be transferred,” and my only solution is to tell them to move it to google voice and get a new number with said new carrier. But yeah, it’s extremely rare.

I wonder if those were numbers using 988 as an area code - apparently there were a fair number and spread around a lot of states. I ran across it when I was looking up the changes that had to be made to accommodate using 988 as a national suicide hotline number.

https://www.fcc.gov/consumers/guides/ten-digit-dialing

https://www.verizon.com/about/news/10-digit-dialing-82-area-codes-36-states

Ofecks
May 4, 2009

CaptainSarcastic posted:

"I don't know, work just told me that I need it."

It really isn't a big deal - I was honest with the rep I talked to, and only later saw the advice on giving a bullshit reason. I straight-up told the rep I had to change carriers because my home doesn't get T-Mobile signal (which Boost was going to switch to), and it would've been true now they are switching to AT&T. In fact, that's also the reason I gave AT&T for switching, because the only carrier who reaches my house now is Verizon. It's hard to do retention when your signal doesn't reach the customer.

Got my account #. It was really easy, I logged into the website on my PC and used the chat support feature. They called my phone and just gave it to me immediately, no questions asked or retention spiel or anything. Thanks for your help on this. That's step 1, step 2 will be going back to T-Mobile and demand that they xfer my phone #. I'll try online first.

I think I'm going to go with the Samsung A32. Not thrilled about the MediaTek CPU but I also don't want to pay $500 for a device that will have to be replaced in 4 years. Really, this entire disposable tech culture is quite troubling. I wish it were different.

CaptainSarcastic
Jul 6, 2013

Ofecks posted:

Got my account #. It was really easy, I logged into the website on my PC and used the chat support feature. They called my phone and just gave it to me immediately, no questions asked or retention spiel or anything. Thanks for your help on this. That's step 1, step 2 will be going back to T-Mobile and demand that they xfer my phone #. I'll try online first.

I think I'm going to go with the Samsung A32. Not thrilled about the MediaTek CPU but I also don't want to pay $500 for a device that will have to be replaced in 4 years. Really, this entire disposable tech culture is quite troubling. I wish it were different.

I still have every cellphone I've owned since 2008, with vague plans of repurposing them. It's also kind of neat to stack them to see the growth over time - it's like a ziggurat of old phones. I tend to use them as alarm clocks, and have been messing around with using some as IP cameras, but haven't really put the time or effort into it.

I'm with you on disposable tech culture being troubling, but the landscape makes it difficult to navigate in many ways.

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

Ofecks posted:

I also don't want to pay $500 for a device that will have to be replaced in 4 years.

I'd gladly pay twice that for a phone that got 4 years updates and an affordable battery swap half way through its life! I feel that I replace my phones ≈3 years due to the batteries giving out and it not being worth paying to fix a phone that isn't getting updates.

Javid
Oct 21, 2004

:jpmf:

Duckman2008 posted:

If you need Verizon prepaid directly (I’m guessing you mean coverage?), prepaid unlimited starts at $65, goes to $60 with autopay , after 3 months $55, and then after 9 months goes as low as $50 a month.

oh hell yeah I didn't know their prices had gotten that reasonable, thank you for that information, time to get the gently caress off of Fi forever

Ofecks
May 4, 2009

I got my T-Mobile order submitted online. You are able to port an existing phone number to them during checkout. Account # and PIN are both required. Actually, their checkout page was bugged and it wouldn't let me continue if I selected the new phone # option. I was chatting with a sales rep and she said she usually has people get a new # first, then if they want to port their old ones, to do it later during SIM activation once the phone is in hand. Had to go against her advice here. Hope that works out ok. I also tattled on the store I went to. Google says it's an "authorized retailer" so they must be a reseller as mentioned before.

Step 2 done. Step 3 is actually getting the phone in my possession safely. This worries me because it's coming via UPS and I didn't have a choice in the matter. The one time I got something from Brown at my current place of residence, the driver left it out in the open, on the ground, in the sun (in late May, it was hot out), at the bottom of my stairwell (I live on the 3rd floor). The box also had a hole in it. Good thing I was monitoring the tracking # closely and was able to retrieve it right away. I'll have to do that again, I imagine smartphones are popular targets for theft.

e: Steps 3-5 done. My UPS carrier this time was an actual good human being and left the box in front of my door. It was completely non-descript, no one could tell there was a smartphone inside it. So that's good.

Step 4 was unpacking the thing, turning it on, and doing initial setup over wifi. Internet stuff, basically. Samsung Smart Switch made that pretty easy. I already had a couple things from my old phone backed up manually on Google drive, but Smart Switch offered to xfer everything, so I did. Thankfully it also had an option to do it wirelessly, since I don't have a male-male USB-C cable. Actually, I think these two phones have different USB standards for their ports. They're shaped differently.

Step 5 was activating the SIM card, and I had some issues with that. First was installing the thing. The Galaxy A32 does not have a consumer-removable backplate it seems. There's this little tray I have to pop out with an included tool that's basically an unfolded paperclip. I also had to punch out the SIM card - it came on this giftcard-like piece of plastic. I don't have the best motor skills plus being shaky from anxiety, so I had to do my best to get it out, with some difficulty. Also had to fiddle getting it into the tray for a while before it seemed to fit. Then there's little or no indication which way the tray goes back in the phone other than physical resistance. I think it would definitely be possible to cram it back in the wrong way but I tried to be careful.

When trying to activate the SIM, I followed the instructions on the website, but all options kept leading me back to the Sprint login page. I don't have a Sprint login, I access my Boost account by putting in my phone number and PIN. I used support chat but it's apparently sales-only and they referred me to the voice line (a 1-800 number or 611 on the new phone). So I called but there's no record of my phone number in the system. By now I was starting to panic, and I figured I'd have to visit a storefront today to get it straightened out. There's exactly 1 corporate store nearby (it's the only one labeled "T-Mobile Store" rather than "T-Mobile Authorized Retailer") but it's a bit of a drive. I live out in the country and it's in the nearby city. I wasn't looking forward to it.

Then late last night, nearly 1am, I get an email from T-Mobile that says my phone number has been successfully set up. Uhhhh, ok.... decided I'd deal with it tomorrow (today) since it was late and I had turned the new phone off. Turn it back on this morning, and I get a bunch of texts (a good sign!), some from yesterday when I tried (and failed) to set up a T-Mobile ID to log into their site. But the SIM now seems to be activated, even though I literally didn't do anything on my end. :iiam: :shrug: Just glad it works now. Also glad I didn't have to take a trip into town to get it resolved. I turned off wifi and I'm getting a 5G signal here. Called a relative to test it, worked fine. All calls and texts now go to the new phone.

Unfortunately, there's a step 6: I'm still unable to create a T-Mobile ID so that I can log into my account on their site. There's a 3-part verification process: email, phone (they text you a code), and PIN. The first two went fine, but I cannot submit my PIN because the input field on the site is limited to 6 characters, yet I submitted a 12-digit PIN when I bought the phone/service during checkout (it required 5-15 digits there). That's some truly baffling IT design. I guess I might have to request a new PIN? I called customer service earlier but their IVR said the wait was 30 minutes, so I think I'm gonna stop by the corporate store tomorrow. I have an appointment in town anyway and it's on the way back.

Sorry for all the :words:, it's basically my diary of an anxious, only partially tech-savvy person having to get a new phone and carrier simultaneously. A bit of a cautionary tale, it is: T-Mobile's site has been rather buggy for me.

e2: The saga continues. The store employee was able to give me a new 6-digit PIN and sign me up for autopay, so that's done. But I discovered after I posted my update yesterday that my voicemail doesn't work. The app gives an error, the old school calling-my-own-number isn't recognized. I was told that sometimes voicemail isn't attached during activation and he doesn't know why. They were not able to fix that at the store, I need to call customer service on my own time, who has the tools to get that sorted out. Since I got a new PIN I'm gonna wait a bit for that to finalize so I'll try Monday. Hopefully step 7 is the final chapter.

Ofecks fucked around with this message at 00:53 on Jan 22, 2022

grenada
Apr 20, 2013
Relax.
Country/Provider: United States DC metro area, currently with Verizon 10gb postpaid

Current contract status: None

Budget (phone/plan): Currently 117/month but creeping up

Features I know I want: 2 phone lines, 2 apple watch data lines.

Edit: went with mint mobile.

grenada fucked around with this message at 00:50 on Jan 26, 2022

oliveoil
Apr 22, 2016
Moving off a pixel 4, what's a good and current replacement?

Seems like Google's poo poo gets worse every year so I stopped following, but is the most recent any good?

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

Grimey Drawer

oliveoil posted:

Moving off a pixel 4, what's a good and current replacement?

Seems like Google's poo poo gets worse every year so I stopped following, but is the most recent any good?

Pixel 6 and 6 Pro have very good reviews if you’re ok with the price points (which also aren’t that bad, just standard).

Detective Thompson
Nov 9, 2007

Sammy Davis Jr. Jr. is also in repose.
So Google has the S21+ for $499 (or $549 for 256gb, though I'm not sure I really need all that storage), and the Pixel 6 is $599 for the 126gb model. I know the S21 is going to still be getting security updates for a few more years now, and it seems like a pretty solid phone for the price, but what do you all think of it versus the Pixel 6 in the long term? Is it better to spend the extra $100 for the 6? I've used my current phone for about 3 years now, so I imagine I'll be using the next one for about that long, give or take a little depending on how life goes.

Lester Shy
May 1, 2002

Goodness no, now that wouldn't do at all!

CaptainSarcastic posted:

It's possible your phone is getting bumped off the AT&T whitelist but would function fine on T-Mobile, but I think you'd need the Tracfone T-Mobile network SIM for that to work.

I just did this over the weekend. If anybody is in the same boat (staying with Tracfone but switching from an ATT SIM to a T-Mobile SIM to avoid the whitelist) you need to call Tracfone and speak to the "Portability Department," which you can reach directly at 1-800-327-2077.

It was a massive headache until I found that number. Nobody else could understand what I was trying to do; they all thought I was switching to or leaving Tracfone.

CaptainSarcastic
Jul 6, 2013

Lester Shy posted:

I just did this over the weekend. If anybody is in the same boat (staying with Tracfone but switching from an ATT SIM to a T-Mobile SIM to avoid the whitelist) you need to call Tracfone and speak to the "Portability Department," which you can reach directly at 1-800-327-2077.

It was a massive headache until I found that number. Nobody else could understand what I was trying to do; they all thought I was switching to or leaving Tracfone.

Did it work? Knowing how tech support for these companies tends to work I'm not terribly surprised that 1st level agents didn't understand the actual issue.

Lester Shy
May 1, 2002

As far as I can tell, yeah. I currently have service via T-Mobile and the phone passes the T-Mobile compatibility checker, so I think I'm good. They've stopped sending me daily "You MUST Upgrade Now!" e-mails at least.

How long will that last? Who knows.

CaptainSarcastic
Jul 6, 2013

Lester Shy posted:

As far as I can tell, yeah. I currently have service via T-Mobile and the phone passes the T-Mobile compatibility checker, so I think I'm good. They've stopped sending me daily "You MUST Upgrade Now!" e-mails at least.

How long will that last? Who knows.

Cool, good to know - thanks. I'd guess you are probably good for at least a year even with the Verizon acquisition, but it's hard to say. One thing that should help keep Tracfone multi-carrier is they are a pretty big supplier of Federal lifeline phones (colloquially still referred to as Obamaphones) and Verizon had to double pinky swear they wouldn't negatively impact people on that program.

BonHair
Apr 28, 2007

My Nokia 7.2 is beginning to act weird after getting Android 11. Specifically, it goes into some mode where it will not charge until restarted pretty much daily, and lately it's been making sounds whenever a video is playing (audio is muted on the phone). I kinda want to try to downgrade or whatever to fix my issues, but I don't know if that's the right thing to do, especially since I'm in Denmark, which means my government ID app, which I use a lot for all sorts of stuff, is on the phone and rooted phones are not allowed with the ID app. Also the risk of being without a phone is scary to me.

Anyway, that's mostly just background. I want to know what the market is like for preferably long lasting phones with decent but not impressive specs and a non-obnoxious Android flavour (unless Samsung upped their game in the last two years they're out). I play Mario Kart as probably the most demanding app, so no need for state of the art. I also don't care about cameras. I do need a headphone port and prefer some kind of fingerprint reader on the front. I don't have a set budget, I mostly want to hit the sweet spot between longevity and price, even if I'm a bit bummed out by this two year old phone apparently being effectively unsupported.

Ofecks
May 4, 2009

It took a week plus multiple calls to tech support, but I finally have voicemail on my line. The first rep I spoke to about it didn't even file the correct report needed to resolve it, nor gave me the ticket number for whatever it was. Apparently all of T-Mobile's CS, including their "standard" prepaid or whatever it's called, is now on-shore and allegedly high-quality, but since I'm a tier below that on the lowest Obamaphone rung, I'm treated differently - my CS is all outsourced and I guess their training isn't the best. Here's hoping I don't need them for anything else, 'cause man, what a pain. I do realize now it would've probably been easier if I had bought some minutes for my burner phone and called them from that instead of the line that needed troubleshooting.

My switchover story has a few more pieces - I need to remove the SIM tray to install my microSD card, and I'm terrified that doing so will break SIM connectivity when I put it back in; I never bought a case for my last phone and it wasn't an issue, but this one (Samsung A32 5G) has a smooth finish on the paneling and it's harder to hold. Already bought the case, just need to put it on; I need to attach a magnet to the case's back panel for use with my car dash holder (GPS mainly). I stuck the magnet directly to the backplate of my last phone and I don't think I'll do that again. This new one doesn't even have a removable backplate, far as I can tell. I think the dash holder kit came with a spare magnet but if not I'll have to track one down somehow.

Lester Shy
May 1, 2002

LMAO after all the stupid headaches with Tracfone, the Samsung A51, the only phone on their list that was an actual side-or-upgrade to my current phone came back in stock, so I picked up one for free. I'll probably end up switching to that (and maybe back to AT&T, can't really tell if my service at home is better or worse with T-Mobile) when I have more free time.

ZombieCrew
Apr 1, 2019
Well i just smashed the hell outa me samsung s8. I have at&t. Should i just roll with a s21 or pixel or wait a bit for something new? I have heard s21s were meh. Any strong opinions there?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Killer_B
May 23, 2005

Uh?

Duckman2008 posted:

Pixel 6 and 6 Pro have very good reviews if you’re ok with the price points (which also aren’t that bad, just standard).

Which of the two will have better battery life?