Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

Thanks Ants posted:

Why would someone wait until 4:30 to send in a grumpy email about something being broken "all day"? Why didn't you say anything when you first noticed?

In my experience.

1) They spent half the day shambling about trying to fix it themsleves and then hosed off to lunch.
2) Someone then got on their case at about 2:30pm about them not getting the work done.
3) They spend the next half hour giving it one final ditch effort, but fail because they completely and totally don't understand what the real problem is
4) Feeling vindicated that they aren't able to resolve it on their own, they have an hour long conference call with stakeholders to discus "next steps" and "business impact"
5) The "outcomes" of that "war room" are to escalate
6) 20 minutes are taken to wordsmith an email to make it not look like their fault for not escalating sooner

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

Just wear the fucking mask, Bob

I don't care how many people I probably infected with COVID-19 while refusing to wear a mask, my comfort is far more important than the health and safety of everyone around me!

Thanks Ants posted:

Why would someone wait until 4:30 to send in a grumpy email about something being broken "all day"? Why didn't you say anything when you first noticed?

I fixed (replaced) a printer this morning

It also did scanning which I was not aware of

Me: "You said printer...anyways this is the only one we have so it'll have to do for a couple weeks"

Them: "Oh that sucks. You know we used to be able to go the metallurgy office and use their copier/scanner. But when they put the new copiers in, it quit working"

Me: "Come on, I'll add you to the SCAN TO buttons on that copier then"

Them: "Awesome, that works so much better to scan 30 pages in than that little piece of poo poo printer"

EVERYONE HAPPY HE COUDL HAVE BEEN HAPPY HAD HE SAID SOMETHING 2 YEARS AGO

Actually he probably did and nobody helped his rear end

Dandywalken
Feb 11, 2014

I dont WANT to know the color coded cable order for T-568A and B, Cisco scoundrels!!!!! Begone!!!!

Net+ is sorta interesting but the amount of "Id google this in 5 seconds irl" stuff is blech. Hope CCNA is less of that.

MustardFacial
Jun 20, 2011
George Russel's
Official Something Awful Account
Lifelong Tory Voter

Dandywalken posted:

I dont WANT to know the color coded cable order for T-568A and B, Cisco scoundrels!!!!! Begone!!!!

It comes in handy more often than you think.

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

No it sure the gently caress does not

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

I don't care how many people I probably infected with COVID-19 while refusing to wear a mask, my comfort is far more important than the health and safety of everyone around me!

Dandywalken posted:

Net+ is sorta interesting but the amount of "Id google this in 5 seconds irl" stuff is blech. Hope CCNA is less of that.

white orange, orange, white green, blue, white blue, green, white brown, brown

Why would you want to know A?

Does the CCNA still ask about hubs and collision domains?

Blue Moonlight
Apr 28, 2005
Bitter and Sarcastic

Bob Morales posted:

I haven’t made a cable in 15 years and it’s still seared in my memory.

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

Black summer was the best summer.

Dandywalken posted:

You are learning how to use cisco commands both to configure and view configurations. Its both not hard once you learn the content and infinitely better than pure memorization/trivia garbage.

SyNack Sassimov
May 4, 2006

Let the robot win.
            --Captain James T. Vader

MustardFacial posted:

It comes in handy more often than you think.

You're doing something wrong. Unless your GOAL is to be a wiring guy.

Don't be a wiring guy.

(And for fucks sake if someone tells you to make a patch cable find a new loving job because if they skimp on patch cables they'll skimp on EVERYTHING).

Thankfully this isn't that relevant anymore because if someone's really concerned point them to Monoprice (we've moved entirely to SlimRuns for our thankfully much less frequent network rewires) and be done with it, though if they want to skimp on THOSE, then you should really run because yikes, as they say, aroo.

devmd01
Mar 7, 2006

Elektronik
Supersonik
lmao at making cables in a business environment in general but there are still situations where it is a useful skill to have available.

The majority of the drops I ran in my house are keystones at both ends but for the cameras and APs they are typically poking through a small hole in the ceiling/soffit just big enough for the cable and then terminated.

Dandywalken
Feb 11, 2014

Bob Morales posted:

Why would you want to know A?

Does the CCNA still ask about hubs and collision domains?

lmao they do! Ive had multiple Hub questions so far in practice material

skooma512
Feb 8, 2012

You couldn't grok my race car, but you dug the roadside blur.
It’s nice to know when you’re too lazy to thread another cable under the carpet

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

SyNack Sassimov posted:

(And for fucks sake if someone tells you to make a patch cable find a new loving job because if they skimp on patch cables they'll skimp on EVERYTHING).

Two jobs ago.
"We make our own cables" meets "We don't use patch panels"

SyNack Sassimov
May 4, 2006

Let the robot win.
            --Captain James T. Vader

Bob Morales posted:

Two jobs ago.

This image is why you ask to see the server room during interviews. If it's anything like this: "thanks I think we're done here".

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

SyNack Sassimov posted:

This image is why you ask to see the server room during interviews. If it's anything like this: "thanks I think we're done here".

I did. Well I saw the other server room at least. And I asked "What are those USB drives on top of each server? Please don't tell me those are your backups"

He answered, "They are. We know we haven't been doing things the best way so we're looking for someone with experience to lead us in fixing those mistakes..."

AND I loving FELL FOR IT

Current job the server room looked even worse but at least they had backups so I just cleaned the rats nest up.

mllaneza
Apr 28, 2007

Veteran, Bermuda Triangle Expeditionary Force, 1993-1952

SyNack Sassimov posted:

QFT. On my last outside interview I got to see a patch panel that was some sort of Pythagorean ideal of neat and tidy. He'd planned it out, ordered cables in increments of a foot, and several square meters worth of velcro. None of mine ever looked like that, even the ones I was proud of. The scary part was, that was the product of a single-person IT department. He'd gotten all that done in between literally everything else.

This is why you want to hire theater people for anything involving cables. Theater cabling is done neater, faster, and better planned than IT work by a large margin. Was everyone here taught the over/under method ?

Wizard of the Deep
Sep 25, 2005

Another productive workday

mllaneza posted:

Was everyone here taught the over/under method ?

Yes, but only when I did audio engineering.

The only jobs I got paid anything close to my actual value ask featured data centers in not-close states. Any DC visit would involve flights and hotel stays.

I spent plenty of time in data centers, but those years were boring and underpaid.

SyNack Sassimov
May 4, 2006

Let the robot win.
            --Captain James T. Vader

mllaneza posted:

QFT. On my last outside interview I got to see a patch panel that was some sort of Pythagorean ideal of neat and tidy. He'd planned it out, ordered cables in increments of a foot, and several square meters worth of velcro. None of mine ever looked like that, even the ones I was proud of. The scary part was, that was the product of a single-person IT department. He'd gotten all that done in between literally everything else.

This is why you want to hire theater people for anything involving cables. Theater cabling is done neater, faster, and better planned than IT work by a large margin. Was everyone here taught the over/under method ?

<raises hand>

Was gonna be a lighting designer and then thought about how I like a steady income and would rather not rent an apartment with roommates in my 40s. Also, y'know, constant travel, late hours, and never knowing where your next job is gonna be.

Plus of course two years ago the entire live event industry was pretty much completely destroyed. Slowly coming back now, though Omicron isn't loving helping, but yeah my heart goes out to all those people who were already struggling and then had "oh your job is putting on what are now giant superspreader events? Yeah nope we're gonna be stopping all of that".

Let me tell you though, I don't loving miss feeder cable. gently caress that poo poo. I'll take that nightmare of a network closet Bob posted every single day over pulling feeder cable outside in a field.

edit:

Bob Morales posted:

I did. Well I saw the other server room at least. And I asked "What are those USB drives on top of each server? Please don't tell me those are your backups"

He answered, "They are. We know we haven't been doing things the best way so we're looking for someone with experience to lead us in fixing those mistakes..."

AND I loving FELL FOR IT

Current job the server room looked even worse but at least they had backups so I just cleaned the rats nest up.

Hahaha I was going to add an addendum "and never fall for it if they tell you they know it's bad and they want your help fixing it", because if they were truly gonna do that, they would have loving DONE it already.

SyNack Sassimov fucked around with this message at 04:06 on Jan 11, 2022

Silly Newbie
Jul 25, 2007
How do I?
In my current gig, most of my workforce is union low voltage electricians who run fiber and copper in data centers, underground, etc, that being our business.
It's loving heaven. I haven't bought or made a cable in years, and when I need a new run in the building, or some patch to switch stuff, I just ask. They're happy to do it, they're paid by the hour.
Downside: I'm no longer allowed to cable any poo poo by myself, because it's never pretty enough.

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

Internet Explorer posted:

No it sure the gently caress does not

Seconded. Punch down blocks are color coded and everything made in the last 20 years supports auto detection.

Bob Morales posted:

Two jobs ago.

I'm the mixed Cisco / HP switch infrastructure.

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

mllaneza posted:

Was everyone here taught the over/under method ?

I cringe when I see people coiling a cable around their arm. I've done too many instance of pulling power cables out of staff catering areas in festivals where all the vendors just throw fatty rubbish all over the distro equipment, at least now I get to sit down and work remote.

Ihmemies
Oct 6, 2012

Antivirus software will now literally mine crypto with your pc, including Norton, Avira

https://krebsonsecurity.com/2022/01/norton-360-now-comes-with-a-cryptominer/
https://krebsonsecurity.com/2022/01/500m-avira-antivirus-users-introduced-to-cryptomining/

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

KillHour posted:

Seconded. Punch down blocks are color coded and everything made in the last 20 years supports auto detection.

I'm the mixed Cisco / HP switch infrastructure.

Is Cisco's small business really Cisco, though? (actually it looks like their one real Cisco switch is a regular one in that picture)

Most of their stuff was SG350's, but they were broken/overloaded and acted like hubs. They ended up buying goddamn Ubiquiti's to replace those (which is why they did some re-wiring) , and those fuckers randomly rebooted during the day and there wasn't a fix.

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

KillHour posted:

RJ45 ends aren't color coded!

(put a sticker on your crimping tool with the pinout)

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

I'll punch down cables in a pinch but lol I'm not crimping ends on.

Cisco Small Business isn't great but it's better than the other stuff you can buy at that price. I've had to raise a couple of support cases relating to software issues and Cisco were really responsive and helpful, and that was just the standard support included with the product warranty. My main complaint is with the arbitrary decisions they make to protect the other product ranges - so there's no stacking faster than using the SFP+ access ports because they want you to buy Catalyst or Meraki stuff, you can't stack more than four boxes together, and for whatever reason the idea of indicating the stack ID on the switch with a little 7-segment LED display was a cost too far.

Thanks Ants fucked around with this message at 15:09 on Jan 11, 2022

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

Thanks Ants posted:

I'll punch down cables in a pinch but lol I'm not crimping ends on.

Cisco Small Business isn't great but it's better than the other stuff you can buy at that price. I've had to raise a couple of support cases relating to software issues and Cisco were really responsive and helpful, and that was just the standard support included with the product warranty. My main complaint is with the arbitrary decisions they make to protect the other product ranges - so there's no stacking faster than using the SFP+ access ports because they want you to buy Catalyst or Meraki stuff, you can't stack more than four boxes together, and for whatever reason the idea of indicating the stack ID on the switch with a little 7-segment LED display was a cost too far.

These were the lovely Linksys re-brands with no CLI and a web interface that only works in like Windows XP IE7

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

Yeah the stuff from a decade ago was hot garbage

Blue Footed Booby
Oct 4, 2006

got those happy feet

bull3964 posted:

In my experience.

1) They spent half the day shambling about trying to fix it themsleves and then hosed off to lunch.
2) Someone then got on their case at about 2:30pm about them not getting the work done.
3) They spend the next half hour giving it one final ditch effort, but fail because they completely and totally don't understand what the real problem is
4) Feeling vindicated that they aren't able to resolve it on their own, they have an hour long conference call with stakeholders to discus "next steps" and "business impact"
5) The "outcomes" of that "war room" are to escalate
6) 20 minutes are taken to wordsmith an email to make it not look like their fault for not escalating sooner

lol I've done it a few times. What usually happens is I get saddled with something outside of my wheelhouse for one reason or another, and I don't know enough to troubleshoot the part of the documentation that's out of date, or the server I can't talk to. I realize I'm going nowhere fast, and ask the boss who the person is who's responsible for this poo poo normally, because I'm a C# Windows dev who's being forced to gently caress with linux configs.

Anyway, I email that person, but they and I don't share a common boss until like five goddamn steps up the org chart and the email gets prioritized accordingly. Then some time in the afternoon I give a status update to my boss so it doesn't look like I've taken a day-long jerk-off session, and the boss deigns to follow up my email, at which point the person I originally contacted responds to keep it from growing into an even bigger pain in the rear end. And the response is a one-liner to the effect of "that's not my job, contact _______ instead" that they could have sent hours ago but didn't. So the whole process ends with a late afternoon email that makes me look like a moron.

This problem was even worse when the VPN we're required to use to get at the dev environment blocked Outlook and Teams, meaning you could work OR communicate, but not both.

angry armadillo
Jul 26, 2010
I'm on a training course with a bunch of people as we are getting a new tool and we are a global company so a lot of people need to use it.

At the start the trainer said please put comments in the chat (Teams) as we have a lot to cover in the time allowed.

Almost everyone managed to adhere to that except this one guy who asks a question at every other bullet point.

He has had 3 subtle nudges of "maybe we can discuss this outside the meeting"

And actually, now I've typed this out, I've not heard his voice so I imagine someone has finally PMd him and said please shut up :D oh no, there he is, I stand corrected... ahhhhh

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

I have a logging thing that pissed me off and it wasn't even log4j!

I run our docker infra. We are strictly swarm internally with MKE and we have about 20 different teams using it. We've bene having an issue where nodes may go unhealthy after a manager reboots (usually the leader, but not always) and have been banging our head against the wall forever on it. Just this week, we had it happen again while we were patching were 13 of our nodes went unhealthy in MKE (though workloads continued running fine on them) after a manager reboot. "Unhealthy in classic inventory" only fix we've been able to find is evict them from the swarm and rejoin.

This time though, we notice a common workload on all of the nodes. Better yet, it was running at 24/10 replicas and commands against some of those replicas would hang. There was no way to kill those extra containers outside of restarting the daemon.

Spent an afternoon digging while someone on my team tried to get cooperation with the developers of that project to figure out what they are doing that's preventing a proper shutdown of the app. I finally found, referenced from a closed bug relating to hung containers, a bug about the fluentd driver that's used by the docker engine. It was open in like 2019 and still unresolved today. There is a big in the fluentd driver where if you lose connectivity to the logging server and async is true, you can't kill the process after you shut it down. It will sit there and hang indefinitely, trying over and over to contact the fluentd server. Asked if the team was using the fluentd driver. Yes. Looked at the config. Server didn't exist. Siiigh. So, what was happening is redeployments were leaving hung containers littered across the cluster and MKE couldn't fully inventory the nodes that have those hung containers because all command issued to those containers also hung.

Now we're doing an audit on all fluentd configs and server notice to the dev teams that are using invalid configurations for them. We've been chasing our tail for the better part of two years on this. It's nice to finally understand what's going on, but you would think teams that are explicitly configuring logging would check once and awhile that logging was actually happening. As of December 2021, fluentd maintainers checked in some fixes that may help, but it's still not merged into any docker engine version (and looks like if it will, it will only be engine 21.xx).

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

Bob Morales posted:

RJ45 ends aren't color coded!

(put a sticker on your crimping tool with the pinout)

If you find yourself putting an RJ45 on the end of a cable you pulled from a spool, you hosed up.

Bob Morales posted:

Is Cisco's small business really Cisco, though? (actually it looks like their one real Cisco switch is a regular one in that picture)

Most of their stuff was SG350's, but they were broken/overloaded and acted like hubs. They ended up buying goddamn Ubiquiti's to replace those (which is why they did some re-wiring) , and those fuckers randomly rebooted during the day and there wasn't a fix.

I was talking about the Catalyst on top, not that rebranded Linksys POS. Mostly because I didn't see it buried under those cables. But LOL.

KillHour fucked around with this message at 18:37 on Jan 11, 2022

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

KillHour posted:

If you find yourself putting an RJ45 on the end of a cable you pulled from a spool, you hosed up.

I was talking about the Catalyst on top, not that rebranded Linksys POS. Mostly because I didn't see it buried under those cables. But LOL.

Also they had SG500's for their phones (because their phone vendor wouldn't support mixed voice/data)

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

Bob Morales posted:

Two jobs ago.

No love for those little 2"x2" metal plates on the left side rack ears of the switches?

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

Also those chucklefucks spent like 12 hours punching all those cables down (still don't know why they used grounded cables, that alone would have saved them 5 hours)

The following monday we had a 'lesson learned' meeting

And the guys that did most of the wiring said "Uhh we should probably just buy cables and use patch panels next time"

Which they did, when they built the new plant on the other side of town.

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

Wait is that a 21" rack? How did that end up there? And why does the UPS fit?

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

Thanks Ants posted:

Wait is that a 21" rack? How did that end up there? And why does the UPS fit?

The inner rails are 21"

The best part is that the company makes the loving racks themselves, they make loving enclosures. That's all they do. I suggested we use Tripplite or APC racks from Dell but they insist on using their stupid racks. Things were so loving heavy and the filters at the bottom don't actually block any dust/dirt because they are like this steel grease filter stuff like you'd have in your kitchen range hood

PremiumSupport
Aug 17, 2015

KillHour posted:

I still do this from time to time, but I work for a non-profit that runs a museum. The building is old, concrete and metal construction that blocks wifi, and none of the exhibit spaces were built with technology in mind. If we need internet for an exhibit, it's a custom cable cut to length from the nearest wall jack because it's never the same spot twice.

Happens about once a year.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

Whenever I was still at the point where I touched physical stuff and someone even started hinting taking cable from a spool and terminating it instead of just buying the fully formed cable, I pulled out the colorblind card and made them decide if it was worth making me feel bad about not being able to do it.

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

I just told people that I'd break their fingers.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

We pay contractors to do our cables. The runs look nice and capitalism wins. They're also unionized!