Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Heath
Apr 30, 2008

🍂🎃🏞️💦

Batterypowered7 posted:

They doing the Neon Genesis Kamigawa thing today?

He posted a video about some new leaks and it's gotten to the point where I click his videos and then just skip to where the new cards are just to see what they say. Ever since he's stopped scripting his episodes he is so obviously trying desperately to fill out time and between every words is "so, yeah, actually, basically, essentially, yeeeeah"

I can forgive vocal tics but if you're going to make the pretense of being a professional talker you need to work on reducing those things and he's just gotten worse over time

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jiro
Jan 13, 2004

Heath posted:

Mitch, Jesus loving Christ, please go back to using a script, holy poo poo

Hahahahahaha nevermind I thought he was doing one of those pre-taped WOTC things and was just floundering around.

Heath
Apr 30, 2008

🍂🎃🏞️💦

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames
Please give your clicks to someone else who doesn’t suck, if at all possible, especially if you’re not even gonna listen to them talk.

Framboise
Sep 21, 2014

To make yourself feel better, you make it so you'll never give in to your forevers and live for always.

Lipstick Apathy
I watched a Mitch video earlier today (haven't watched anything from him in almost a year) because I was morbidly curious about the $10 Zurgo deck and it's just a bunch of overcosted wraths. Doesn't even seem to post the cost of cards anymore and it took him about 4 and a half minutes before he even started talking about the cards.

Heath
Apr 30, 2008

🍂🎃🏞️💦

Framboise posted:

I watched a Mitch video earlier today (haven't watched anything from him in almost a year) because I was morbidly curious about the $10 Zurgo deck and it's just a bunch of overcosted wraths. Doesn't even seem to post the cost of cards anymore and it took him about 4 and a half minutes before he even started talking about the cards.

The entire channel is basically half-assedly throwing out possible uses for unconfirmed spoiled cards within 10 minutes of them coming up on Reddit, clickbait poo poo and videos about ... Fake cards people made up and going "wow, wouldn't this be a cool commander if it were real?" I don't know about you guys but I could not give less of a poo poo about cards that aren't even real.

I basically only click his videos when they've got spoiled cards I haven't seen yet anymore. Sometimes I go back and look at his videos from pre-covid and it's crazy just how straightforward and useful they are in comparison to the stuff he puts out now

Party Miser
Apr 1, 2011
which one is Mitch so i know to avoid?

Heath
Apr 30, 2008

🍂🎃🏞️💦

Party Miser posted:

which one is Mitch so i know to avoid?

Commander's Quarters

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames
Maybe he stopped putting effort in because he burned all of his bridges and now no one wants to collab with him. You really don’t get a bigger lay up than Josh and Jimmy inviting you on to their show to talk about your channel, it’s amazing how hard he spiked his own reputation into the dirt.

I mean I’m just assuming that his effort dropped off after the failed mutiny of the format that caused everyone to point and laugh at him, but maybe it was something else, I have literally not thought about him since I unsubbed to his account.

Batterypowered7
Aug 8, 2009

The mist that chills you keeps me warm.

Oh, that guy. I skimmed through his absolutely stupid "97 Lands Deck" video recently. Twenty minutes to say "The deck is 97 lands and you Tibalt's Trickey your commander into Blightsteel". What a waste of time that was.

E: What did he do, exactly, so make an rear end out of himself?

Heath
Apr 30, 2008

🍂🎃🏞️💦
No, I think all that came afterward. He started the clickbait stuff right after lockdown began. I'm assuming he did it as part of trying to take the channel toward being a full-time occupation. Which, sure, respect the hustle. But there's a ton to talk about that isn't just trying to game the algorithm.

One guy I enjoy is EDH Deckbuilding, because he makes a focus on highlighting stuff that might otherwise get overlooked and on commanders you might not normally even glance at. Here's his most recent one

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6HUJyWmEmnk

He's very straightforward, explains his thought process on how a card can be used, and outlines synergies. He's definitely not building for power but he does encourage diversity. And he's relatively recent on the scene (I think he's only been "around" about a year and a half?)

Macdeo Lurjtux
Jul 5, 2011

BRRREADSTOOORRM!

Batterypowered7 posted:

Oh, that guy. I skimmed through his absolutely stupid "97 Lands Deck" video recently. Twenty minutes to say "The deck is 97 lands and you Tibalt's Trickey your commander into Blightsteel". What a waste of time that was.

E: What did he do, exactly, so make an rear end out of himself?

He tried to spin off his own format and accidentally grabbed the Alt Right third rail. Everyone distanced themselves from that and WotC even revoked his preview cards.

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames
Over the loving Walking Dead Secret Lair, no less

Jiro
Jan 13, 2004

To be fair most of us were really disgusted and pissed about that poo poo at the time. I honestly didn't expect them to finally cave in and do in universe re-prints of those cards

long-ass nips Diane
Dec 13, 2010

Breathe.

His format splinter video was so bad that I thought it was just an extended Rule 0 joke, then he set up an unmoderated discord and doubled down.

Dumbass.

Balon
May 23, 2010

...my greatest work yet.
My videos are pretty good, I’m a big fan.

Batterypowered7
Aug 8, 2009

Played a game with this Lathril list. Got to untap with Bolas's Citadel and played a bunch of dorks, gave them all +3/+3, and tutored up a Craterhoof. I think I want the deck to be more about using Lathril's ability, with Craterhoof and Triumph of the Hordes as alternate ways to win, which is how I ended up with this list.

Dizz
Feb 14, 2010

L :dva: L

Macdeo Lurjtux posted:

He tried to spin off his own format and accidentally grabbed the Alt Right third rail. Everyone distanced themselves from that and WotC even revoked his preview cards.

lmao what. and i actually saw a few of his videos and was like "hmm some of these decks are interesting in comparison to what i've seen so far"

Toph Bei Fong
Feb 29, 2008

Dizz posted:

lmao what. and i actually saw a few of his videos and was like "hmm some of these decks are interesting in comparison to what i've seen so far"

In response to the RC's refusal to ban the Walking Dead secret lair cards, Mitch (the host) decided he would make his own format, with black jack and hookers. "Captain", as it was called, was intended to be a completely democratic format: people in the discord would vote on bans and changes, choose 7 Elected administrators (EAs) and 1 Scribe, who would enforce Robert's Rules of Order at meetings. Any card could be proposed for banning except for basic lands and other "gold" cards.

It... it did not go well. In true internet fashion, a bunch of Nazis swarmed the discord, voted Mitch out, and poo poo everything up real good. Not that it had a chance of ever becoming a dominant format, given that it was built on spite, but...

https://mtgcaptain.cards/Archive/Elections/EA-Recall-Vote-2021.html

quote:

Resignation Letter from Ammo37:

I hereby tender my resignation. I'm going to be stepping away from magic completely for awhile. One of the criticisms we've gotten is that we're just "playing government." I had believed that we were actually trying to build something, but it seems true building isn't actually feasible. I'll likely be pulling away from other areas of life too.

Farewell and good luck.

quote:

Resignation Letter from Shushir:

Hi, all.

This message is to notify the community that I will be retiring from my position effectively immediately. Much like Ammo, I am stepping down because I thought this community had the potential to develop into something new and exciting, a metaphorical "shining city on the hill", at least so far as Magic the Gathering is concerned: a truly democratically ran format, where the voice of the community is what matters, not some shadowy rules committee or some corporate black suits. However, Hobbit, the owner copyright of the Constitution has made it abundantly clear that they do not have the interest of the community at heart. While the copyright for the Constitution was created for the purpose to be used as a shield for the format and the community, a way of preventing outside interference into our delicate, but potentially crucially impactful format, Hobbit has instead decided to use it as a a sword. Hobbit has chosen to resort to threats, saying that they would revoke all copyright to the constitution if proposals they liked didn't pass. So far, there's been one threat, and this was only the first full meeting of the EA body. There is nothing stopping Hobbit from continuing to do this any time a proposal they don't like comes up, and there is no accountability structure in place that Hobbit can't counteract. "Do as I say or else" is not democracy, it's the opposite. The fact that the community now has to live in fear of Hobbit's shadow saps the democratic will of the community. It is due expressly to Hobbit's lack of accountability in this regard and willingness to threaten the format's democratically chosen foundations that I am leaving. I have left screenshots concerning Hobbit's actions in the #sm-ea-discussion channel for people to go to to find the unfiltered, unedited information themselves, free of bias. I will be here and there for a while, at least to make sure the community is properly informed as I am able.

Good luck, and best wishes.

-Shushir

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames
drat that is an order of magnitude funnier than I was prepared for holy poo poo

Fajita Queen
Jun 21, 2012

Lol I took a look at the discord and it had ten entire people in it.

Heath
Apr 30, 2008

🍂🎃🏞️💦

The Shortest Path posted:

Lol I took a look at the discord and it had ten entire people in it.

This all happened like eight months ago (I think) so I'm sure it's died on the vine by now

Batterypowered7
Aug 8, 2009

Toph Bei Fong posted:

In response to the RC's refusal to ban the Walking Dead secret lair cards

I said it in the last thread, but I asked Sheldon why they couldn't just let players proxy those, since printing was so limited, and I just got a, "we don't condone the use of proxies" from him. I thought it was a bunch of horse poo poo.

Fajita Queen
Jun 21, 2012

Heath posted:

This all happened like eight months ago (I think) so I'm sure it's died on the vine by now

No they made a new one like a month ago, if even. Tried rebranding themselves as Untapped, an inclusive place for commander players seeking something new.

lol

Fajita Queen fucked around with this message at 01:35 on Jan 13, 2022

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames
It’s hard to wash off the stink of Nazi gamers chasing clout and brawling with each other like feudal Discord warlords.

Drowning Rabbit
Oct 28, 2003

YAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAY!

Batterypowered7 posted:

I said it in the last thread, but I asked Sheldon why they couldn't just let players proxy those, since printing was so limited, and I just got a, "we don't condone the use of proxies" from him. I thought it was a bunch of horse poo poo.

With his ties to WotC, I am not surprised really.

Lynch from I Hate Your Deck recently posted on twitter asking if people had the original dual lands ( While the Gif I made said Dual, he wrote Duel... ) and Sheldon replied saying how he doesn't want people to think they need them for EDH.

https://twitter.com/hate_your_deck/status/1481766251995480066

long-ass nips Diane
Dec 13, 2010

Breathe.

https://twitter.com/Rose0fthorns/status/1481663999288627202

Toph Bei Fong
Feb 29, 2008

Drowning Rabbit posted:

Lynch from I Hate Your Deck recently posted on twitter asking if people had the original dual lands ( While the Gif I made said Dual, he wrote Duel... ) and Sheldon replied saying how he doesn't want people to think they need them for EDH.

https://twitter.com/PleasantKenobi/status/1479052151435534343

It's a very "funny" situation because so many of these cock-ups were caused by Garfield and the rest of the original designers assuming that, because of the regional distribution and scarcity of certain cards, it would be okay for some of them to be absolutely better than others. Like, surely no one would spend that much money and effort to assemble a Magic deck, right? It's either a fundamental misunderstanding of how games intersect with capitalism, or a cynical lie to drive more sales. (Compare and contrast with one of my all time favorite games, Anachronism, which had 100 cards per set, all with fixed distribution, and thus the only chase cards were tournament and mail-in promos. On the consumer side, it was great, because you paid $100 and you were done with investments until the next set dropped. On the industry side, however, Tri-King struggled to make a profit, and went out of business two years in...)

This same competitive logic, however, gives rise to the entire bootlegging industry: there is demand for a product, and bootleggers are the only "reasonable" way to get them. Were it available through more convenient or legal channels, much of the business would flock there (i.e. most people would rather just go to a liquor store, than a shady back alley and buy out of some guy's trunk), but since it is not... I cannot pull these objectively better cards from easily available packs; thus, my options are to do without (and likely lose and have less fun than my rich friends (there are certainly diminishing returns, but there is definitely a baseline investment require to play certain formats)), spend the price of a used car on this hobby to have "real" cards, or pay some guys in China 1/200th of what the guy on TCGPlayer wants for what is, from a game play perspective, the same playing piece. But then the attempt by monopolies to throw up obstacles and prevent competitors from entering the market, thus retaining their absolute pricing jurisdiction (they can't be undersold by a competitor if they are the only source) is a story some 400 years old, touching everything from books to musicals to liquor to tea to spices to electronics to...

Basically this, but with Magic cards:

Batterypowered7
Aug 8, 2009

Drowning Rabbit posted:

https://twitter.com/hate_your_deck/status/1481766251995480066

I still remember a post he made years ago about how he was cleaning out a closet (maybe because the house his wife was building was nearing completion) and he found a box labeled "Revised." He wrote in the post that he thought it'd all be chaff, but lo and behold, a full set of duals!

It's real easy for him to say they're not necessary when he's got plenty to use himself.

pseudanonymous
Aug 30, 2008

When you make the second entry and the debits and credits balance, and you blow them to hell.
A big part of the problem is the RC seems to think the way to play edh is battlecruiser. And they just insist on it, and ignore all the evidence of how people really play edh and want to do with their decks.

In their version of edh you don't need dual lands because your deck does nothing on turns 1-3 and on turn 4 it drops your big ramp card or some wonky enchantment, prior to dropping 5+ cost creatures over and over so you turn them sideways.

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames
How is Commander paradoxically the format where nobody ever plays spells in the first 3 turns but also the format where Sol Ring is legal?

Heath
Apr 30, 2008

🍂🎃🏞️💦
Sol Ring is only legal because it's readily available and it's kind of just understood that nearly everyone will have it in their deck. Regardless of your opinion of it, not having one is the exception, not the rule.

Batterypowered7
Aug 8, 2009

According to the RCA:

Turns 1-4: Set up some durdly poo poo. Do NOT ATTACK ANYONE, WHY AREN'T YOU UPHOLDING THE SOCIAL CONTRACT, OH MY GOD

Turns 5-??: Try to execute your game plan, but only if you 1) don't use tutors, and 2) you don't stop anyone else in any way from executing theirs.

Framboise
Sep 21, 2014

To make yourself feel better, you make it so you'll never give in to your forevers and live for always.

Lipstick Apathy

Bust Rodd posted:

How is Commander paradoxically the format where nobody ever plays spells in the first 3 turns but also the format where Sol Ring is legal?

Because it's also the format that tends to have the highest concentration of Dunning-Kruger per capita on card evaluation and threat assessment which leads to poorly built decks made with clunky high-cost, low-impact spells, on top of a casual community that tends to become extremely toxic if anything remotely resembling a feelbad leaves your hand and enters play, discouraging good decks from ever being developed.

Batterypowered7 posted:

According to the RCA:

Turns 1-4: Set up some durdly poo poo. Do NOT ATTACK ANYONE, WHY AREN'T YOU UPHOLDING THE SOCIAL CONTRACT, OH MY GOD

Turns 5-??: Try to execute your game plan, but only if you 1) don't use tutors, and 2) you don't stop anyone else in any way from executing theirs.

What's funniest is that the "social contract" means something different to everyone so you never actually know what people are okay with until it happens unless you have a big conversation about it before the game begins; god bless you if you only brought one deck and it's exactly what someone will get offended by.

pseudanonymous
Aug 30, 2008

When you make the second entry and the debits and credits balance, and you blow them to hell.

Batterypowered7 posted:

According to the RCA:

Yes, but also don't do something cheap like dropping najeela and then playing one of the other cards that allows her to attack infinite times.

Aranan
May 21, 2007

Release the Kraken
No rush 10min BGH gogogo

Toph Bei Fong
Feb 29, 2008

Batterypowered7 posted:

According to the RCA:

There was a whole essay in the beginning of either Savage Attack or With Fang and Claw, the strategy guides for the old Rage CCG by White Wolf, where the author decried the people playing the best and most optimal cards, and extoled the virtues of playing "stylishly" through some multi-card combo that accomplished less than the basic "Use strong werewolf, play best attack card" mentioned before.

And I get the impulse, I really do. I want my dumb Lin Sivvi deck to be good. It's a fun interaction when I get Maskwood Nexus out and can suddenly tutor any creature in the library directly into play. But there's a definite and unbreakable ceiling as to how good that particular commander will go, and given that Rebel tribal is has been dead for 20+ years, it's unlikely to ever get a push over that threshold. Not impossible (think Godo before and after Helm of the Host), but highly unlikely.

Overall, it's just not that efficient: there's no circumstances in which playing my commander and an artifact to spend more mana to tutor cards out will be better than playing my commander and an artifact and winning right then and there (Heliod/Ballista, for example).

Style and silly interactions are great, but the RC only grudgingly acknowledging that some people play the game to win the game...

pseudanonymous
Aug 30, 2008

Toph Bei Fong posted:

Style and silly interactions are great, but the RC only grudgingly acknowledging that some people play the game to win the game...

Each spell you cast costs 1 more for each spell cast by you this turn.

Each non-mana ability you activate cost 1 more for each non-mana ability activated by you this turn.

Ban Consult/Pact.

There you go, bringing sexy back, that's all the RC has to do to really make the format what they want. The problem is they don't want to actually issue rules that cause people to play the way they want, they just want to bully them into doing it with lovely blog posts and stuffing their ham hocks into their ears and ignoring how people play commander.

Framboise
Sep 21, 2014

Lipstick Apathy

pseudanonymous posted:

Each non-mana ability you activate cost 1 more for each non-mana ability activated by you this turn.

Ban Consult/Pact.

There you go, bringing sexy back, that's all the RC has to do to really make the format what they want. The problem is they don't want to actually issue rules that cause people to play the way they want, they just want to bully them into doing it with lovely blog posts and stuffing their ham hocks into their ears and ignoring how people play commander.

I'd rather them make impotent lovely blog posts I can disregard rather than actually making lovely game-warping rules.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

long-ass nips Diane
Dec 13, 2010

Breathe.

pseudanonymous posted:

Ban Consult/Pact.

These are the worst rule ideas I've ever seen, they're not actually being pushed by anyone, are they?