Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

BlazetheInferno
Jun 6, 2015

LashLightning posted:

She doesn't have the snake-accent because she was brought up on Earth, unlike those flithy, job-stealing aliens. She's an Earthling. :downs:

Honestly, I think it's just that Vipers in general don't do the stereotypical snake-talk.

Which I like, honestly. It feels more realistic to me, the snake-talk drawn-out S's feels like a cartoonish stereotype that wouldn't be a real thing if a sentient snake were capable of human speech.

Sidenote, I like the one little text-dialogue bit you can see at one point with another Viper doing community service and her handler, and it ends up with a little exchange going "Are you sweet on little old me?" "Less so when your fangs drip."

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Meme Poker Party
Sep 1, 2006

by Azathoth
It’s not cool to stereotype the snakes.

Seedge
Jun 15, 2009
Hey, buddy. :glomp:

Terra-da-loo! posted:

Tl;dr: do advanced options added by DLC interfere with trophies? I am a shameless casual and would like extra turns in my turn limits.

I beat vanilla XCOM 2 the other night and decided to snag War of the Chosen and the "Reinforcements Pack" or whatever it's called--with the leaders and the children of anarchy and shen's last gift, etc.--off the PS Store cause both had like 80something% markdowns and I got it all for like 8 or 9 dollars.

Reeeally good deal, considering how much content that all comes out to. I didn't really know what to expect re: WotC and stuff, but it's a lot more than I thought it'd be. Like a total overhaul, basically.

I do have a question, though: I want to try my first Ironman campaign. I'm not a hard-core gamer or whatever--I'm the type where i just play to have fun or whatever. Like, for example, I lowered the difficulty to get through a particularly challenging battle in my diesy victorious campaign, and I really don't mind that I had to do that, cause otherwise I would have been stuck and hated the game and maybe never come back to it.

So, with that in mind, I noticed some stuff in the Advanced Options menu that is added when starting a new campaign, mainly the fact you can get it to double the turn limits. That alone would go along way toward making an Ironman run more enjoyable and feasible for me. But my question is, like, do those affect trophies at all? Wouldn't be surprised if so, since some are nearly cheats, but if they don't mess with my trophies, tbh it sounds kinda perfect.

I can confirm those don't affect Trophies: I had double turn timers for my Valhalla run.

Bogart
Apr 12, 2010

by VideoGames
IIRC the game will tell you if you're about to turn off trophies -- IE with the custom broken soldier names. All "Second Wave" style options are fair game -- I personally recommend starting with the Reaper base for a free Reaper from the go; they're very very good on Ironman.

Vincent
Nov 25, 2005

Zephyr really falls off late game. It's a shame, since she's really fun to use, specially when you set up multiple hits at once.
I think she'd be useful later if you didn't have to choose between lockdown and the permanent +1 to melee damage.

Chairchucker
Nov 14, 2006

to ride eternal, shiny and chrome

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2022

Vincent posted:

Zephyr really falls off late game. It's a shame, since she's really fun to use, specially when you set up multiple hits at once.
I think she'd be useful later if you didn't have to choose between lockdown and the permanent +1 to melee damage.

Also she has the best voice

FoolyCharged
Oct 11, 2012

Cheating at a raffle? I sentence you to 1 year in jail! No! Two years! Three! Four! Five years! Ah! Ah! Ah! Ah!
Somebody call for an ant?

Vincent posted:

She turns into a nutty disable monster, that while not patchwork, is no slouch at stopping enemies from having turns

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

was there a time when speedwagon didn't get trolled
Yeah her role simply changes from damage dealer to disabler in lategame, and if you're running her you just make sure you're running some of the DPS monsters like Godmother or Claymore to compensate.

Jordan7hm
Feb 17, 2011

Lipstick Apathy
I've been playing a lot of XCOM Long War Rebalanced again lately. The concept is that LW is good but it has a reverse difficulty curve, where getting firmly established is the hardest part. LWR tries to fix that issue and have the end of the game be significantly harder than the start; it starts off pretty gentle once you understand how incredible SHIVs are, but you're on increasingly shaky ground at the strategic level, which bleeds into the tactical.

I last played it around the summer, but my campaign eventually stalled because the standard game length is still LW style. This time I'm using the Mini Long War option, which cuts the # of missions to a quarter, with all the rewards roughly quadrupled from a standard LW game. This basically turns it back into a vanilla xcom game length.

The mod isn't perfect and despite being a "post 1.0" version is still constantly being updated, so things are still in flux, but it's absolutely my favorite way to play. There's lots of little changes to shift the difficulty curve into more of a smooth ramp-up, but the major system that changes the game for me is the overwatch change. You can now only overwatch enemies who you see at the time of going on OW, and breaking OW is a bit harder (damage doesn't cancel OW). Perks you prioritize and the way you position your teams completely changes as a result. Big recommend.

Bogart
Apr 12, 2010

by VideoGames
How’s the air war. Is it still terrible and backwards

Panzeh
Nov 27, 2006

"..The high ground"
A little bit frustrated now in the newer X-piratez updates- they added a lot of activity to the ninjas- they build bases and these bases create air defense zones, making you have to get into air combat a lot sooner than it used to be. Having a fun playthrough but i hope they don't end up being too much of a problem.

There are some fun additions- a reward for skipping out on the codex dropships, several, actually, including an alternate route to cydonia. Also a new recruitment path to buff peasants. I'm not sure peasants are still an amazing long term solution as their strength never gets that high, and they don't really have a power armor equivalent, but we'll see.

FoolyCharged
Oct 11, 2012

Cheating at a raffle? I sentence you to 1 year in jail! No! Two years! Three! Four! Five years! Ah! Ah! Ah! Ah!

Just played the game again for the first time in forever. The hell is with this new launcher, it tells me I have mods on and then they aren't active in game

Light Gun Man
Oct 17, 2009

toEjaM iS oN
vaCatioN

Lipstick Apathy

FoolyCharged posted:

Just played the game again for the first time in forever. The hell is with this new launcher, it tells me I have mods on and then they aren't active in game

use this instead https://github.com/X2CommunityCore/xcom2-launcher

Vengarr
Jun 17, 2010

Smashed before noon

Panzeh posted:

A little bit frustrated now in the newer X-piratez updates- they added a lot of activity to the ninjas- they build bases and these bases create air defense zones, making you have to get into air combat a lot sooner than it used to be. Having a fun playthrough but i hope they don't end up being too much of a problem.

There are some fun additions- a reward for skipping out on the codex dropships, several, actually, including an alternate route to cydonia. Also a new recruitment path to buff peasants. I'm not sure peasants are still an amazing long term solution as their strength never gets that high, and they don't really have a power armor equivalent, but we'll see.

They do get medic armor ripped outta StarCraft which is very effective.

The ninjas are so ridiculously OP that it feels like you’re playing as the enemies in someone else’s game of X-Ninjaz.

chaosapiant
Oct 10, 2012

White Line Fever

Hello goons. I am a man on an XCOM kick and I’ve had the classic game series in my intended backlog for a while now. I’m looking for the following:

Good Let’s Plays of X-Com, Terror from the Deep, and X-Com apocalypse. Screenshot or video format is fine.

Does X-Com Apocalypse have a source port like Open X-Com?

I want the classic X-Coms to give it to me. For the Let’s Plays I’m hoping for something instructional but also entertaining.

Thank you Goons!

KirbyKhan
Mar 20, 2009

Soiled Meat

chaosapiant posted:

Hello goons. I am a man on an XCOM kick and I’ve had the classic game series in my intended backlog for a while now. I’m looking for the following:

Good Let’s Plays of X-Com, Terror from the Deep, and X-Com apocalypse. Screenshot or video format is fine.

I want the classic X-Coms to give it to me. For the Let’s Plays I’m hoping for something instructional but also entertaining.

Thank you Goons!

Aravingloom has an Open XCOM Files mod pack playthrough current and ongoing. Theres so much XCom in that game on such a granular and expanded scale it disturbs my sense of reality.

Aravingloon has also done a Terror From The Deep playthrough if you want something you asked for.

Elias_Maluco
Aug 23, 2007
I need to sleep
Just reading the name makes me want to play Apocalypse again

Is a weird XCOM but probably my favorite in the entire series

chaosapiant
Oct 10, 2012

White Line Fever

KirbyKhan posted:

Aravingloom has an Open XCOM Files mod pack playthrough current and ongoing. Theres so much XCom in that game on such a granular and expanded scale it disturbs my sense of reality.

Aravingloon has also done a Terror From The Deep playthrough if you want something you asked for.

I’ll check those out, thank you!

habituallyred
Feb 6, 2015

chaosapiant posted:

Thank you Goons!

The LParchive has good ones of X-Com and Apocalypse. The Terror From the Deep one is a weird multiplayer experiment, but it does have an excellent guide to Cruise Ship Terror Missions.

Edit: Skip the personal journal parts of the X-Com LP

habituallyred fucked around with this message at 22:15 on Jan 17, 2022

chaosapiant
Oct 10, 2012

White Line Fever

Well….so…that Viper King can straight up to gently caress itself. There, needed to say that.

tracecomplete
Feb 26, 2017

chaosapiant posted:

Well….so…that Viper King can straight up to gently caress itself. There, needed to say that.

Arguably the easiest one of the three. Have fun!

DoctorTristan
Mar 11, 2006

I would look up into your lifeless eyes and wave, like this. Can you and your associates arrange that for me, Mr. Morden?

chaosapiant posted:

:xcom:

(Bring the hunting weapons, free action skills won’t trigger a reaction from him, special ammo that applies an ongoing damage effect will apply that every time he acts, and hope you can catch him in an overwatch barrage when he first appears)

Akratic Method
Mar 9, 2013

It's going to pay off eventually--I'm sure of it.

Any day now.

Get a reaper with Banish, give them the best repeater and expanded mag you can find, and then remove problem.

DoctorTristan
Mar 11, 2006

I would look up into your lifeless eyes and wave, like this. Can you and your associates arrange that for me, Mr. Morden?

Akratic Method posted:

Get a reaper with Banish, give them the best repeater and expanded mag you can find, and then remove problem.

By the time you’ve got banish you’ve likely killed the viper king already.

FoolyCharged
Oct 11, 2012

DoctorTristan posted:

:xcom:

(Bring the hunting weapons, free action skills won’t trigger a reaction from him, special ammo that applies an ongoing damage effect will apply that every time he acts, and hope you can catch him in an overwatch barrage when he first appears)

If you can spot him with a concealed spotter, you can move all your dudes a tile short of where he is and overwatch everyone but a dude that runs out to activate him. It's a lot less risky than trying that on a normal pack because he won't get actions on the alien turn, just on your actions. It's a free burst of damage against him.

chaosapiant
Oct 10, 2012

White Line Fever

Anyone with an Ultrawide 21x9 monitor tried going back to Enemy Within? I'm trying to play it and while the game support 2560x1080, the mouse cursor and the actual "dude goes here box" don't quite line up and the menus are cut-off when in base. Anyone know a fix or workaround for this, aside from just reverting to 1920x1080?

Ego Trip
Aug 28, 2012

A tenacious little mouse!

Can't post a link, but there's a wide-screen fix in I believe a steam guide.

chaosapiant
Oct 10, 2012

White Line Fever

Ego Trip posted:

Can't post a link, but there's a wide-screen fix in I believe a steam guide.

I’ll try looking again. I’d been googling and saw forum posts on various sites but no fix. Thanks!

Akratic Method
Mar 9, 2013

Any day now.

DoctorTristan posted:

By the time you’ve got banish you’ve likely killed the viper king already.

I'm used to playing with the DLC integrated so that you can just avoid his facility until you feel like it, so yeah that'll arrive too late for anyone playing the original way. But it stands for the other two, especially the last one!

chaosapiant
Oct 10, 2012

White Line Fever

I’m playing with whatever the option is to do their story missions since I hadn’t done that before. If I’d known what would’ve spawned, I might would have saved it for later.

Kaal
May 22, 2002

through thousands of posts in D&D over a decade, I now believe I know what I'm talking about. if I post forcefully and confidently, I can convince others that is true. no one sees through my facade.

chaosapiant posted:

I’m playing with whatever the option is to do their story missions since I hadn’t done that before. If I’d known what would’ve spawned, I might would have saved it for later.

The Viper King is indeed pretty tough, but one of the biggest parts is that he is introducing a bunch of new game mechanics on the fly. The other Rulers lack that element of surprise, even if they're difficult in their own ways, and so to my mind you've already gotten through the most frustrating part. Figuring out how to deal with Rulers when they're so different from other enemies is a big part of their challenge. Keep it up!

Ego Trip
Aug 28, 2012

A tenacious little mouse!

chaosapiant posted:

I’ll try looking again. I’d been googling and saw forum posts on various sites but no fix. Thanks!

Crap. I went back and looked and I was remembering an Xcom 2 fix.

Sorry

chaosapiant
Oct 10, 2012

White Line Fever

Kaal posted:

The Viper King is indeed pretty tough, but one of the biggest parts is that he is introducing a bunch of new game mechanics on the fly. The other Rulers lack that element of surprise, even if they're difficult in their own ways, and so to my mind you've already gotten through the most frustrating part. Figuring out how to deal with Rulers when they're so different from other enemies is a big part of their challenge. Keep it up!

Yea I’ve kinda noticed he seems to react to anything my dudes do that he can see. So I try and alpha strike him as hard and fast as I can so he’ll gently caress off and I can complete my mission. Only had to reload a game once. I was frustrated because he kept strangling Mox every time someone sneezed and Mox kept dropping incapacitated to the ground. Reviving didn’t help because as soon as I took that action, Viper King would proceed to tongue-gently caress Mox again immediately. But I got him. He’s got less than a quarter health left so when I see him again he’s dead.

FoolyCharged
Oct 11, 2012

chaosapiant posted:

Yea I’ve kinda noticed he seems to react to anything my dudes do that he can see. So I try and alpha strike him as hard and fast as I can so he’ll gently caress off and I can complete my mission. Only had to reload a game once. I was frustrated because he kept strangling Mox every time someone sneezed and Mox kept dropping incapacitated to the ground. Reviving didn’t help because as soon as I took that action, Viper King would proceed to tongue-gently caress Mox again immediately. But I got him. He’s got less than a quarter health left so when I see him again he’s dead.

One of the biggest things you can do with rulers is immediately unload on them with free actions + Frost bomb + tricking them into squad wide overwatch traps. The more damage you pump into them up front the fewer actions they get before bailing.

chaosapiant
Oct 10, 2012

White Line Fever

FoolyCharged posted:

One of the biggest things you can do with rulers is immediately unload on them with free actions + Frost bomb + tricking them into squad wide overwatch traps. The more damage you pump into them up front the fewer actions they get before bailing.

My biggest issue is not knowing a ruler will be on the lap so my squad configuration isn’t optimal for overwatch traps. Granted, that’s on me because I’m not a super great player.

FrickenMoron
May 6, 2009

Good game!
https://www.ign.com/articles/xcom-civilization-veterans-new-studio-bit-reactor

A lot of XCOM / Civ veteran staff have left Firaxis and formed their own Studio. I think the chances of an "official" XCOM 3 are getting ever smaller sadly.

CatHorse
Jan 5, 2008

FrickenMoron posted:

A lot of XCOM / Civ veteran staff have left Firaxis and formed their own Studio. I think the chances of an "official" XCOM 3 are getting ever smaller sadly.

Civ veterans left after Civ 5 when they were tasked to turn civ into a match 3 game. And now Xcom veterans left after xcom2 when they were tasked to turn xcom into a Marvel gacha cardgame.

Akratic Method
Mar 9, 2013

Any day now.

FrickenMoron posted:

But on the other hand, the chances of a slightly off-brand not-technically-but-still-XCOM3 might have gone up, since the studio is focused on turn-based strategy games.

KirbyKhan
Mar 20, 2009

Soiled Meat

Akratic Method posted:

But on the other hand, the chances of a slightly off-brand not-technically-but-still-XCOM3 might have gone up, since the studio is focused on turn-based strategy games.

Between opencom, xenonaughts, the crab game Phoenix point, and XCom long wars there's never been a better time to mis a 95% shot

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Captain Foo
May 11, 2004

we vibin'
we slidin'
we breathin'
we dyin'

KirbyKhan posted:

Between opencom, xenonaughts, the crab game Phoenix point, and XCom long wars there's never been a better time to mis a 95% shot

lmfao