Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Dazerbeams
Jul 8, 2009

Roving bands of drunks, high people, and dogs all waiting to maul that vulnerable young teen the moment he steps out of his front door.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

HopperUK
Apr 29, 2007

Why would an ambulance be leaving the hospital?
She should marry that feral hogs guy, he has the answer

WoodrowSkillson
Feb 24, 2005

*Gestures at 60 years of Lions history*

DoctorWhat posted:

NextDoor-poisoned white people, Jesus loving Christ.

started long before nextdoor. im 37, growing up i was very lucky to have a neighborhood where everyone knew each other, and i did indeed stay out till the streetlights came on, often wandering all over our 4 square mile subdivision. i had friends at school that barely knew their nextdoor neighbors, let alone left their yards for extended periods. the stranger danger paranoia was already going strong in the early 90s

sullat
Jan 9, 2012

limp_cheese posted:

I hate people like this that get a child but don't understand you have to walk them. Otherwise the kid is going to start tearing up the furniture because he's bored and understimulated.

Yeah if you don't get the kids out of the house every day they'll get real wild in the evening.

Seth Pecksniff
May 27, 2004

can't believe shrek is fucking dead. rip to a real one.
Yeah in the 80s and 90s it was basically beaten into you as a kid that everyone you don't know is going to snatch you and turn you into a sex slave/satanic sacrifice so you need to be extra vigilant and head home before nightfall because obviously predators fear the light and there's never been a documented kidnapping during daylight hours

Slam Pajamas
May 21, 2007
ALL TEXT TITLE ALL-STARS

Arsenic Lupin posted:

My wife (28F) bursts out screaming at the top of her lungs any time she's frustrated. She refuses to acknowledge that this is problematic / disruptive behavior. How can I (31M) approach this with her?

Belt out a tenor in response, every time, and hold it as long as possible.

WoodrowSkillson
Feb 24, 2005

*Gestures at 60 years of Lions history*

Seth Pecksniff posted:

Yeah in the 80s and 90s it was basically beaten into you as a kid that everyone you don't know is going to snatch you and turn you into a sex slave/satanic sacrifice so you need to be extra vigilant and head home before nightfall because obviously predators fear the light and there's never been a documented kidnapping during daylight hours

but also be afraid of white vans, and never ever talk to a stranger, and if a single adult is anywhere near the park, run away!

Mx.
Dec 16, 2006

I'm a great fan! When I watch TV I'm always saying "That's political correctness gone mad!"
Why thankyew!

AITA for not wanting to invite my aunt to my wedding over something that happened almost 10 years ago?

quote:

I (24F) am getting married to my partner next year. I was chatting with my mom and sisters about the guest list when my mom brought up sending an invitation to my aunt, we'll call her L (55F). I said L wasn't invited and they asked why.

My dad died unexpectedly <2 weeks after I turned 15. It was particularly hard for me since I had been fighting with him for about 7 months prior to his death and we were still in the beginning stages of patching up our relationship after the turmoil. Needless to say, it was one of the hardest times of my life and I was pretty emotionally raw. After his funeral ended I was heading outside when I saw L in a sea of mourners cramped in the hallway. I wasn't feeling chatty (for obvious reasons) so I gave her the same half-hearted smile and wave I gave everyone else that day and continued walking out the door. As I was walking to the car, my Aunt T walked up to me in a huff and angrily told me to go apologize to L for what I said. I gave her a confused look and asked what she was talking about. Apparently L told her I gave her a dirty look in the hallway and said "nobody wants you here" when I walked by. I told T that never happened and I hadn't said a word to L all day. She immediately relaxed and said "oh well that's just L, she likes to stir the pot. Never mind babe" and walked away. I was annoyed I got berated for something I didn't do, but quickly let it go because I had bigger problems to deal with.

On the way home from the funeral, my mom needed to stop at my grandmas house to drop some stuff off and I decided to wait in the car. As I was waiting, I got a call from my Aunt K. I answered it and she immediately starts yelling and telling me I need to apologize to L for what I said. I told to her the same thing I had told T and explained I hadn't said anything to L or given her any dirty looks. She calmed down and said "oh*, that's just L stirring the pot then, huh?*" and hung up the phone. My mom got back to the car and could see I was visibly frustrated and asked what was wrong. I explained what happened with T and K and without missing a beat she says "oh that's just L, she likes to stir the pot". I didn't get an apology from T or K for yelling at me for something I didn't do and I'm pretty sure my mom and aunts have had conversations about L's behavior before because all of them used the exact same phrase and each of them just brushed off what she did.

After that I decided I wasn't interested in being around someone who starts drama just for fun and everyone else just excuses their behaviour. I've been civil with L at family gatherings for the last 9 years, but I haven't gone out of my way to interact with her or build a relationship.

My partner supports my decision to not have L at the wedding, but my mom and sisters are telling me I'm being an AH because I'm not inviting her over something that happened almost a decade ago. I'm starting to wonder if they're right and if I should just let it go. AITA?

AreWeDrunkYet
Jul 8, 2006

Evil Willow posted:

AITA for caring about my son's safety?

quote:

YTA this is so horrifying. you are actively teaching your son “do something good” (i.e wanting to be healthy) = punishment even though it’s objectively the mature/responsible choice. what is stopping him from doing something bad if you’re making his life miserable anyway? eventually he’s just going to lash out....

He has lashed out and he shouldn't be. He even admitted he was wrong and excused it by saying that I'm being "too restrictive and building up negative feelings inside of him and he's sorry that he accidentally burst"

He needs to control himself.

quote:

A discussion is two people contributing, you're talking at him and rubbishing anything you don't like....

That's because everything he's saying is wrong.

quote:

YTA. Do you want a relationship with your children after they turn 18? Because you are easily working towards a no contact relationship as soon as they can....

That's what he keeps saying, I bet you all the money in the world that he won't cut me off.

quote:

It's not neglect it's trust, something you're lacking in towards your son...

I trust him just fine! I don't trust other people! I keep saying this.

Grape
Nov 16, 2017

Happily shilling for China!

Evil Willow posted:

but there are some people with dogs

ahahahahahahahahaha

Mx.
Dec 16, 2006

I'm a great fan! When I watch TV I'm always saying "That's political correctness gone mad!"
Why thankyew!

AITA for not accepting jokes about being an only-child after losing my sister?

quote:

I know it sounds stupid but I had a huge fight with my boyfriend (m26). He has 4 brothers and I‘m kind of an only-child because my sister died when she was 8 and I was 12. It was really sad for my whole family - especially my parents who separated after this. My boyfriend knows this. But he sometimes makes jokes about how I‘m an only-child and that I can not share (food) and stuff like that. I know that theses jokes are only typically jokes about this topic but it makes me sad. He did this again yesterday while we were meeting some of our friends. They also made some jokes and that was enough for me - I told them that this makes me sad and that I don’t like it and how I miss my sister and that I don’t feel like an only child because I still HAVE a sister - she’s „just“ not alive. Some of my friends were shocked and apologies but my boyfriend and two other friends argued that I’m just acting like an only-child (crying, being dramatic and not accepting jokes). I said that I would not accept this behaviour and that I don’t want to see them again if they act this way. Now I’m wondering if I was to harsh? It was a joke after all? Am I the rear end in a top hat?

Sorry for my bad English - I’m not from the USA and I’m feel very emotional while writing this.

:sever:

sure okay
Apr 7, 2006

quote:

That's what he keeps saying, I bet you all the money in the world that he won't cut me off.

brb heading to the ATM

Pigsfeet on Rye
Oct 22, 2008

I'm meat on the hoof

Slam Pajamas posted:

Belt out a tenor in response, every time, and hold it as long as possible.

Or do some Fat Boys beatboxing

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

Pope Corky the IX posted:

Times have changed friend, a fifty year old is right in the middle of Gen X.

"Boomer" is turning into a state of mind more than just a generation.

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

Mx. posted:

AITA for not accepting jokes about being an only-child after losing my sister?

:sever:
Goddrat we just condition some people to take any abuse at face value as a species

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal

Pigsfeet on Rye posted:

Or do some Fat Boys beatboxing

“Savior of the universe!”

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

Cythereal posted:

Ex sent pictures to my employer trying to get me fired, what recourse do I have? Ontario

Welp that was a swerve.

Grape
Nov 16, 2017

Happily shilling for China!

Motronic posted:

"Boomer" is turning into a state of mind more than just a generation.

Yeah I support this motion, especially watching how often Millennial age goons get all hot and bothered at the slightest chance at making GBS threads on those currrrazy kids these days.

The Maroon Hawk
May 10, 2008

Grape posted:

ahahahahahahahahaha

And on marijuana!!!

kntfkr
Feb 11, 2019

GOOSE FUCKER

Arsenic Lupin posted:

AITA for being upset that my fiancé spent all of the money for my wedding dress and our future house?

Reddit, speaking as one: The dress is not the problem here.

Marrying gambling addicts is always smart.

Agrikk
Oct 17, 2003

Take care with that! We have not fully ascertained its function, and the ticking is accelerating.

Evil Willow posted:

Am I in the wrong for leaving my fiancé because of a foot rub?

Would you give a guy a foot massage?

Pigsfeet on Rye
Oct 22, 2008

I'm meat on the hoof

kntfkr posted:

Marrying gambling addicts is always smart.

Wanna bet?

kntfkr
Feb 11, 2019

GOOSE FUCKER

You're on!

Cowslips Warren
Oct 29, 2005

What use had they for tricks and cunning, living in the enemy's warren and paying his price?

Grimey Drawer

Only with her emergency funds. And any money from the wedding.

AITA for telling my husband I have postnatal depression?

quote:

I (26) gave birth 7 weeks ago and I developed PND/PPD at around week 3 and I've had it since. It affects my mood and my feelings. I'm rather quiet and cry to myself when nobody is around. My baby is safe and I'm a really good mother and I'm confident I can look after my baby well. We also have a 2 year old but hes chilling with his grandparents for the week.

At week 6, my husband (28) and I slept together because everything felt okay down there but I bled a lot after that and he said we won't do it again until I've recovered. It's now week 8 and I think hes sexually frustrated and so am I, tbh.

Anyways, he realised something was off so he asked me if I was okay. I told him that it's not him, it's me. I've got PPD/PND. And he asked if there was any way to fix it and I told him that I don't know and it might just go away itself.

But ever since then, he's been avoiding me and hardly talking to me. He won't respond to me properly, giving short answers etc. I'm really confused. I feel like I've ruined his day or made him feel like I'm not a great person to be around right now?

AITA for bringing it up and dampening the atmosphere??

I thought it was 8 weeks minimum before you started the PIV sex after giving birth?

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Doctors now say that even touching a penis could be potentially hazardous to your health and recommend taking up poetry and island living.

Mr. Grapes!
Feb 12, 2007
Mr. who?

Miserable Maid posted:

You're not a moron, she was just a loving creep. Like imagine a guy trying to get a girl to go out with him... By sending her dick pics. Instead of, you know... ASKING THEM ON A DATE.

What the hell is with these women that are more comfortable sending nudes then just saying "Hey wanna go see a movie together, maybe grab dinner after?"

Yes, I'm sure it would have been different if it was a guy sending dick pics, because I'm sure plenty of women nowadays have gotten a nasty one sent from some rando on a dating app.

10th Grade Me would have been pretty loving thrilled to get such a blatant proposition, because all of her previously 'subtle' signals had flown right over my head. I was just an oblivious moron, because her entire coterie of friends had been demanding I ask her out but I was too stupid to realize she had put them up to this and had instead assumed that it was some sort of Nefarious Prank (girls don't actually like guys like me!) or that they had all totally misinterpreted what was clearly a platonic friendship. Obviously it was kind of a perverted move, but part of me admired her sheer determination and I felt really bad that she went all out with it only to have it be accidentally totally ignored. All in all 10th grade me missed out on clearly a good time, but also might have dodged a bullet because doing that is obviously a bit nuts.

Mx.
Dec 16, 2006

Why thankyew!

BFF claims my stillborn daughters are in her.

quote:

TLDR; my daughters were stillborn, 6 months later my bff said she was pregnant w/ twins and they were in her.

Sorry for the lengthy (re)post. I was anxious and deleted the first one so here it is.

My 26F friend (Shay 25F) and I have always had a rocky friendship. I’ve cut her off for drug use, for emotional stuff (removed this part to keep my post up) she’s slept with two of my (now ex) boyfriends. This all happened when I was 15 - 19. I’ve always been pretty forgiving and understanding. I thought we grew as adults and for the past few years things have been good between us, in the sense that we only gave what we could and never forced the other to interact. I got pregnant. My whole world flipped. My priorities changed and were re-assessed.

7 months along, my twin daughters were stillborn. Shay got upset that (because of covid) she couldn’t drive down to see my daughters. After that it was radio silence. Frankly I just wanted to not feel alone in the sadness and she couldn’t even give me that. It really made re-evaluate our friendship but later she said she was going through her own things. This is when she dropped on me that they were trying for a baby. Don’t know why you’d say that to a mother who just lost her twins but she did. She continued to tell me each time she got pregnant and each time she miscarried. I just tried to be supportive because I understood the pain. After a while I was emotionally exhausted and distanced myself from the situation.

Till I got this message. “I miss you and hope you’re going okay. I just wanted to let you know that I am pregnant, with twins! Can’t help but think I got your girls in me.” I was livid, truthfully beyond livid. I still am. Thinking about it makes me SO angry and i realize those feelings are valid now. I responded with a “Congratulations Shay. I’m wishing you the best in your pregnancy & life.“ and cut her off. Blocked her on everything but phone (as I don’t have the ability to do that)

Over the past few days she’s sent

“I’m moving back home for good. I made the worst mistake and should have listened.”

and

“I’m so so sorry.”

Part of me thinks that she’s actually sorry and I should forgive her and be there for her but the other part of me is still raging inside over the sheer audacity she had to try to say MY daughters are in her. They’re mine. Hers are not a replacement for mine. My friends originally were quite split saying she said it “from a place of love” and others saying “you know she pretends to be nice but deep down she’s always been like that towards you.”

I’m not sure what to do here anymore. I’m not sure how I should be handling this situation. Any advice is welcome.

Malachite_Dragon
Mar 31, 2010

Weaving Merry Christmas magic
Keep this person blocked. What in the hell.

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

actually, yeah, I am a little mad
Give me the souls of your dead children.

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

🎧Listen to Cylindricule!🎵
https://linktr.ee/Cylindricule

lol some silver lining

Oh my kids are dead but at least you, my estranged friend, get to raise their souls in my stead, experiencing all those moments of love I didn't get

Like it's not even comforting when taken at surface level.

therobit
Aug 19, 2008

I've been tryin' to speak with you for a long time

limp_cheese posted:

I hate people like this that get a child but don't understand you have to walk them. Otherwise the kid is going to start tearing up the furniture because he's bored and understimulated. She just needs to get a leash and take her kid for a walk since she wanted this responsibility. Some people should just not be a child owner....

*looks at son*

*looks at furniture*

gently caress

sullat
Jan 9, 2012
The timing seems off; unless she was getting those kids conceived at the exact moment the other kids died, the souls wouldn't pass. They're probably in some other set of twins somewhere else in the cosmos.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

sullat posted:

The timing seems off; unless she was getting those kids conceived at the exact moment the other kids died, the souls wouldn't pass. They're probably in some other set of twins somewhere else in the cosmos.

Theres a lot of paperwork to fillout for a soul transfer

therobit
Aug 19, 2008

Barudak posted:

Theres a lot of paperwork to fillout for a soul transfer

Nah out here on the west coast it’s pretty lawless these days and you can just do a plate swap and it’s unlikely anyone will care.

Miserable Maid
Apr 22, 2010

:minnie: Cat Army :minnie:

Mr. Grapes! posted:

Yes, I'm sure it would have been different if it was a guy sending dick pics, because I'm sure plenty of women nowadays have gotten a nasty one sent from some rando on a dating app.

Well, yeah, that's what meant. Unsolicited Dick Pics have literally never worked ever, it's such a terrible idea. Same goes with gals, but some people just don't get that and think it doesn't count as gross

(And most people already get that it doesn't work, honestly. It's kinda like cat-calling people on the street, they don't expect the girl to actually accept the advancement, they are doing it solely to harrass her.)

therobit
Aug 19, 2008

I have to think unsolicited nudes work for some women. Also the whole patriarchy/sexual violence thing makes dudes sending unsolicited nudes just a tiny bit different.

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

The tools of a hero mean nothing without a solid core.

I once got sent dickpics of three different dicks. Did the guy think he was guessing the neighbor's wifi password or something?

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Bruceski posted:

I once got sent dickpics of three different dicks. Did the guy think he was guessing the neighbor's wifi password or something?

Its how a true knight of the grail sends a dick pic

Samuel L. ACKSYN
Feb 29, 2008

what if he actually had 3 dicks tho

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

If only all of life's problems could be solved by smoking a professor of ancient evil texts.

Bread Liar

Cythereal posted:

Ex sent pictures to my employer trying to get me fired, what recourse do I have? Ontario

Let me just dust off a classic

quote:

Disciplinary hearing and possibly getting sacked by my employer over airsoft WWII/Yugo impressions

I'm being pulled into a disciplinary hearing at work for "offensive and harassing behaviour" - but I think it's unfair, though I'm unsure if I have a leg to stand on. I recently had an organisational reshuffle where I wound up working with a Karen and, at the time time, aligned under another manager who is more sympathetic to Karen due to preexisting friendships.

Just a bit of background I play a fair bit of airsoft especially milsim (think https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EnCmIKh1AWY and https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DHP6qTR6oR4) and with a few friends I've put together some impression kits before, including kits inspired from Yugo, Chechen and Ukranian insurgents/paramilitaries but also specific impressions ie Yugoslav Partisans, Wehrmacht and Waffen SS - the latter specifically for the 'oakleaf' camo patterns. There isn't anything political about this and I don't advocate for Nazis or their beliefs, nor do I go out of my way to wear the swastika.

One of the sites I used to frequent once did a "Hunt for Bin Laden" fun event where having one of the heavy support weapons they gave me a faux BL mask, robes and had me just lay into people with my MG42 like I'm the MechaHitler boss in Wolfenstein. These are visible quite clearly on my FB photos and anyone who has known me understands it's just a bit of fun. I'm not egrerious about it but I don't hide it either.

As an example - I've got a few photos pinned up on my deskwall, one's from me and a few friends when we were photographed playing OPFOR at a milsim event and I had my Yugo vest on - this vest has a tear where it looks like a bullet passed through it, and one of my friends in our sense of black humour calls it my war criminal vest. Now, Karen once saw this photo and asked me about it and I explained a little more ie how I picked up the vest off a surplus seller and that it probably saw service in the Yugoslav wars and that a friend made that joke about it.

After this I got a stern talking to from my manager saying that some "people" had complained about what I said and that I was being insensitive. I said I didn't see the problem; I didn't express any political beliefs. I was just interested in the military history of it. Anyway, a few other colleagues have asked me about airsoft before without issue but I notice whenever it came up Karen would stick her oar in and come in a bit critical about it. Nothing overt but I could tell she wasn't happy.

I think one time a WWII pop quiz came up and in the course of a friendly discussion I made a few comments as to my views on how the war could've gone (tl;dr the only chance Germany could've 'won' the war was via a 1940 armistice, holding off declaration on US, that a few hundred thousand in atomic bombs was less than the millions a mainland invasion of Japan would've killed) - again, nothing political or offensive, just Karen who seemed bothered about it. At some point both my manager and Karen had added me on FB and I accepted (as I do for most colleagues for messenger) - and again I had my manager pull me aside, this time telling me he's had a complaint about me expressing "offensive views" and cites my airsoft photos. I explained that it's just airsoft, not political views but he tell me he's seen the photographs and thinks it's inappropriate especially when I say I work at "XYZ.potatoes" company (edit: this isn't stated on my profile, I haven't got it linked or anything, there's just one comment somewhere from about a year ago). I refuse to take the photos down as it's my page and none of his business and getting to the point I have a disciplinary hearing next week for 'harassing and discriminatory behaviour creating a hostile workplace environment'

I have no idea what to expect, I've worked here for about 2.4 years so I know I have that protection at least but I don't see how they can accuse me of this crap. I honestly think Karen is just out to cause poo poo and the manager is taking her side. It was never a problem before she got involved. What can I expect, what could/should I do, am I protected or would I be safe from getting sacked so long as I keep a clear and level head.

Nor do I go out of my way to wear the swastika