Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

mdemone
Mar 14, 2001

Kesper North posted:

I too hate white savior narratives. At least they're using Maori culture as the template for the Sand People and their dances, and Temuera is a Maori trained in the haka, unlike Kevin Costner and the Lakota...

Please stop calling Temuera Morrison white. The rest of your point belies it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

That was pretty intense, huh?

Just Chamber posted:

This is all valid really. I just don't personally like this sort of pretty safe and probably less interesting way of portraying the character with the history he has.

Lol, what history?

Everyone
Sep 6, 2019

by sebmojo

Doronin posted:

On the flashbacks, Boba was stuck in the sarlacc and by the time he got out and earned enough respect among the Tuskens to have the option to leave, presumably, his entire safety net of his previous life was wiped out. Jabba is dead. The Empire is gone, for now. So who is he in this new order? Does he exist to serve, or be served? He's captive and cannot get to his ship, which I guess is stuck in Anchorhead, however far away that is. He also doesn't have his armor, which may or may not be necessary to flying Slave One (I legit don't know the answer to this). So he has poo poo to take care of in the short term, and the Tuskens have given him the means to survive until he gets his affairs in order. And if he can prop up a new ally in the process while learning some cool new poo poo, why not?

I was actually coming back here to post something similar to the "endlessly pragmatic" sentiment because that's what I picked up on in the Mandalorian Season 2. That's only been reinforced in the new series. He is still operating purely out of self-interest, and has a keen interest on developing alliances that we have seen in two series now. I would think this is because he has bigger plans and knows he can't just disintegrate everyone he doesn't like.

As to being trigger happy and having few qualms with killing, we still have five episodes to figure that out. I would argue we're still too early in the story being told to say if that's true or not. I personally think he is biding his time until he knows everyone else's role and worth, and making sure he knows the right ones to take out. I wouldn't be surprised if the end of this series is something like the scene from Godfather where Michael takes power.

I could be wrong, but I feel pretty strongly that all we've established is that Boba doesn't kill without a reason. Nobody is paying him to kill anyone right now, and he really hasn't figured out who he needs to take out to secure his position. He barely even knows how Mos Espa works at this point.

Also, sure Boba worked for rear end in a top hat criminals and fascists but he mostly seemed to be going after other rear end in a top hat criminals and fascists for them. We the audience know him and we the audience like him but Han Solo is basically just another rear end in a top hat drug smuggler working for (and in hock to) rear end in a top hat criminal Jabba the Hutt so to Boba's mind, gently caress him if he got on the wrong side of the Empire, too.

It's quite probable that his time with the Sand People is the only time he's spent any extended period around actual decent, caring people.

Just Chamber
Feb 10, 2014

WE MUST RETURN TO THE DANCE! THE NIGHT IS OURS!

teagone posted:

Lol, what history?

Having zero issues with doing jobs for the Empire (it's Disney canon the Han job wasn't his first for them/ vader) to the point where they consider you the go to guy probably says something about the type of person you are no? Not saying he's evil but he's clearly a bit darker than most characters in this universe. Just expand on and explore that a bit more is all rather than making him feel like another Din.

Robot Style
Jul 5, 2009

fartknocker posted:

It’s not. He flys the ship from wherever it was before (Presumably still on Tatooine) to Tython in The Tragedy without it to get his armor back from Din.

Yeah, I think I remember one of the trailers showing him and Fennec finding it in the hangar at Jabba's palace.

Kesper North
Nov 3, 2011

EMERGENCY POWER TO PARTY

mdemone posted:

I didn't call him white. I said that this is a white savior narrative. There is a difference.

In this narrative context, all humans are the equivalent of "white people" - they're part of a dominant overclass that is oppressing an out-group.

The actor is not white, but in science fiction race is coded as "other species". So we have the human character Fett comes from the Human-dominated overculture of the Republic/Empire. Even if he was oppressed as a Mandalorian, his humanity codes him as a racial superior in the eyes of the most powerful government in the galaxy. Then we see the narrative still follows the same conventions as Dances with Wolves: an oppressed group of helpless, technologically inferior natives are shown to be unable to defend themselves until a person from the dominant overculture teaches that out-group how to defend itself by adopting the tools and techniques of the invaders.

(You could argue that technically the Outer Rim is Hutt-dominated and both species are oppressed, but I'm not sure that really flies here given that the Hutts collaborated with the Empire).

Kesper North fucked around with this message at 23:48 on Jan 10, 2022

Sash!
Mar 16, 2001

Big Mean Jerk posted:

They could come out tomorrow and say “it’s official canon that Boba only tolerated working for the Empire for the money and he’s actually always been a guy who believes in honor” and there’s nothing that would really contradict that, short of Legends bullshit.

poo poo, back in the 90s, that's pretty much how it was. In those days, he picked the Empire because they were the legal government and that was about it.

Sash!
Mar 16, 2001

Won't you guys all feel dumb when it turns out that the first sand people dude to unwrap his head turns out to just be a grunty human

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

That was pretty intense, huh?

Just Chamber posted:

Having zero issues with doing jobs for the Empire (it's Disney canon the Han job wasn't his first for them/ vader) to the point where they consider you the go to guy probably says something about the type of person you are no? Not saying he's evil but he's clearly a bit darker than most characters in this universe. Just expand on and explore that a bit more is all rather than making him feel like another Din.

Boba is his father's son, and his father lived by a simple creed. That he did work for the Empire doesn't seem character defining imo. He also blew up a guy in the first episode without hestiating; his penchant for disintegrations looks to be very much intact.

[edit] spelling is hard :eng101:

teagone fucked around with this message at 23:52 on Jan 10, 2022

Kesper North
Nov 3, 2011

EMERGENCY POWER TO PARTY

Sash! posted:

Won't you guys all feel dumb when it turns out that the first sand people dude to unwrap his head turns out to just be a grunty human

Totally 100% expecting this reveal tbh

Nash
Aug 1, 2003

Sign my 'Bring Goldberg Back' Petition
I honestly hope they don’t ever reveal the faces under the wraps. Same with Jawas. I like the mystery behind it.

Killer robot
Sep 6, 2010

I was having the most wonderful dream. I think you were in it!
Pillbug
I'm just bummed Boba never called himself a "legitimate businessman" in a cliche Mafia accent, since then we'd have people really angry that we have a series about Boba Fett reinventing himself as an ordinary small business owner instead a cool crime lord or something.

Icon Of Sin
Dec 26, 2008

He’s too sane to be a small business owner :v:

e: what kind of conspiracy theories would a Star Wars small business owner be into?

Alderaan was an inside job?
1 guy shot 2 torpedoes that blew up the Death Star? Ok :rolleyes:
Darth Vader doesn’t exist?
The empire created the rebel alliance as a propaganda scapegoat, but accidentally made it into a self-fulfilling prophecy?

Icon Of Sin fucked around with this message at 00:03 on Jan 11, 2022

mdemone
Mar 14, 2001

Kesper North posted:

I didn't call him white. I said that this is a white savior narrative. There is a difference.

In this narrative context, all humans are the equivalent of "white people" - they're part of a dominant overclass that is oppressing an out-group.

The actor is not white, but in science fiction race is coded as "other species". So we have the human character Fett comes from the Human-dominated overculture of the Republic/Empire. Even if he was oppressed as a Mandalorian, his humanity codes him as a racial superior in the eyes of the most powerful government in the galaxy. Then we see the narrative still follows the same conventions as Dances with Wolves: an oppressed group of helpless, technologically inferior natives are shown to be unable to defend themselves until a person from the dominant overculture teaches that out-group how to defend itself by adopting the tools and techniques of the invaders.

(You could argue that technically the Outer Rim is Hutt-dominated and both species are oppressed, but I'm not sure that really flies here given that the Hutts collaborated with the Empire).

Good post, I like it.

Myrddin_Emrys
Mar 27, 2007

by Hand Knit
Holy poo poo this is a bad thread

Chef Boyardeez Nuts
Sep 9, 2011

The more you kick against the pricks, the more you suffer.

mdemone posted:

Hooting and Hollering.

Kesper North posted:

There's weird coding all over this episode. Like the gleep glops bullying the plucky human couple.

Chef Boyardeez Nuts fucked around with this message at 00:31 on Jan 11, 2022

mdemone
Mar 14, 2001

Chef Boyardeez Nuts posted:

Hooting and Hollering.

Eet chuta

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

Myrddin_Emrys posted:

What abouuuuuuuuuuut now?

https://www.tiktok.com/embed/7051296858987056431

(Boba Fett driving school montage joke)

kazmeyer
Jul 26, 2001

'Cause we're the good guys.

Sash! posted:

It's just a whole mess of those lizards piled up.

Chef Boyardeez Nuts
Sep 9, 2011

mdemone posted:

Eet chuta

Hey, while you have your calipers out can you advise how the underlying ethnicity of the actors playing the Neimoidians let's them be critiqued for racism?

Chef Boyardeez Nuts fucked around with this message at 00:43 on Jan 11, 2022

Dingleberry2
Jul 23, 2001

Myrddin_Emrys posted:

I'm having PTSD from the "discussions" about what's his name being in a slave labor camp, so obviously anyone who liked the episode, or the show itself, was in favor of slave labor.

Being Native American myself I'm pretty sensitive to these tropes, and I do cringe at some of the things they show, most of it is around the seeming casual cruelty shown by the sand people.

Yet historically, Native American's weren't particularly nice to their enemies. So I'm more in the camp of these stories should be told, instead of watered down or whitewashed, because we should remember our history, as lovely as it may be, because then we can see how far we've come, and how far we have left to go.

But that might be too extreme a viewpoint for a place like the TV IV.

Spookydonut
Sep 13, 2010

"Hello alien thoughtbeasts! We murder children!"
~our children?~
"Not recently, no!"
~we cool bro~

Myrddin_Emrys posted:

You must be new here.

Everyone
Sep 6, 2019

by sebmojo

Dingleberry2 posted:

I'm having PTSD from the "discussions" about what's his name being in a slave labor camp, so obviously anyone who liked the episode, or the show itself, was in favor of slave labor.

Being Native American myself I'm pretty sensitive to these tropes, and I do cringe at some of the things they show, most of it is around the seeming casual cruelty shown by the sand people.

Yet historically, Native American's weren't particularly nice to their enemies. So I'm more in the camp of these stories should be told, instead of watered down or whitewashed, because we should remember our history, as lovely as it may be, because then we can see how far we've come, and how far we have left to go.

But that might be too extreme a viewpoint for a place like the TV IV.

It sounds like cogent and reasonable viewpoint, so yeah, way too extreme for TV IV.

Owlbear Camus
Jan 3, 2013

Maybe this guy that flies is just sort of passing through, you know?

gold leader was just straight up Dutch.

not even a coded stand in just a Dutch guy named Vander

that's kind of weird

Killer robot
Sep 6, 2010

I was having the most wonderful dream. I think you were in it!
Pillbug

Owlbear Camus posted:

gold leader was just straight up Dutch.

not even a coded stand in just a Dutch guy named Vander

that's kind of weird

He was a former stormtrooper though.

Chef Boyardeez Nuts
Sep 9, 2011

I dunno man, the Season 1 Tusken Raiders episode was my favorite, in part because they were portrayed as clever and highly adapted to an extreme environment. I can't square that with their portrayal here.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?

Chef Boyardeez Nuts posted:

I dunno man, the Season 1 Tusken Raiders episode was my favorite, in part because they were portrayed as clever and highly adapted to an extreme environment. I can't square that with their portrayal here.

Well for starters they weren't getting shot at by an armored train full of drug runners in that episode.

Everyone
Sep 6, 2019

by sebmojo

Arc Hammer posted:

Well for starters they weren't getting shot at by an armored train full of drug runners in that episode.

Trains full of drug runners shooting at you with blasters is an infamously extreme environment to which it is difficult to adapt.

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

Myrddin_Emrys posted:

Every Star Wars TVIV thread gets this way when new Star Wars television is happening. And when new Star Wars television isn't happening.

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

Kesper North posted:

Polynesian/Maori have had the completely opposite interpretation when reviewing this episode so maybe there's a difference you're not noticing?

thrawn527
Mar 27, 2004

Thrawn/Pellaeon
Studying the art of terrorists
To keep you safe

nine-gear crow posted:

Every Star Wars TVIV thread gets this way when new Star Wars television is happening. And when new Star Wars television isn't happening.

Nothing to be done about it, really. At least it’s not the CD Star Wars thread.

Everyone
Sep 6, 2019

by sebmojo

Kesper North posted:

Why is that last bit such a bad thing? Isn't the bigger point that the person of the dominant over-culture teaches that out-group how to defend itself? If you wanted to write some kind of alternate history of the Native Americans with them retaining their ancestral lands, you might end up with a version of Harry Turtledove's The Guns of the South Maybe The Guns of the Sioux?

Much like the Spanish were to the Incas and Aztecs, the train is an "out of context" problem for the Sand People. They don't have an answer to it within their own tools and techniques - except for hide and hope it doesn't kill too many people and Banthas this time. Because if they did have an answer to it, they'd have answered it already without Boba's help.

For me the main point of that part and those that followed is that Boba is brought fully into the tribe because he has contributed greatly to the well-being of the tribe. So, again, why is the nature of his contribution such an apparently bad thing?

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK
Sep 11, 2001

Everyone posted:

Why is that last bit such a bad thing? Isn't the bigger point that the person of the dominant over-culture teaches that out-group how to defend itself? If you wanted to write some kind of alternate history of the Native Americans with them retaining their ancestral lands, you might end up with a version of Harry Turtledove's The Guns of the South Maybe The Guns of the Sioux?

Much like the Spanish were to the Incas and Aztecs, the train is an "out of context" problem for the Sand People. They don't have an answer to it within their own tools and techniques - except for hide and hope it doesn't kill too many people and Banthas this time. Because if they did have an answer to it, they'd have answered it already without Boba's help.

For me the main point of that part and those that followed is that Boba is brought fully into the tribe because he has contributed greatly to the well-being of the tribe. So, again, why is the nature of his contribution such an apparently bad thing?

I mean that's basically the point. :psyduck: They are unable to do it without the outsider / white savior because they are so simple or backwards or whatever you want to call it. To use the actual episode as an example: they wanted to destroy the speeders until Boba convinced them to stop and learn how to ride them.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
I figured they wanted to strip the swoop bikes for parts because they know how to salvage. They can't drive them but they can use the metal.

Cartoon Man
Jan 31, 2004

Myrddin_Emrys posted:

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012

Arc Hammer posted:

I figured they wanted to strip the swoop bikes for parts because they know how to salvage. They can't drive them but they can use the metal.

That was their first instinct when Boba brought them and he had to stop them and explain that he was gonna teach them how to ride them. I assume that's what they were gonna do with the train as well since none of them have anyone whose taken the time to actually learn how this worked or had it explained to them. And for the most part, they probably didn't feel the need.

Xelkelvos fucked around with this message at 04:16 on Jan 11, 2022

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
So that isn't luddite behavior that's seeing a use according to their lifestyle.

Hazo
Dec 30, 2004

SCIENCE

Icon Of Sin posted:

He’s too sane to be a small business owner :v:

e: what kind of conspiracy theories would a Star Wars small business owner be into?

Alderaan was an inside job?
1 guy shot 2 torpedoes that blew up the Death Star? Ok :rolleyes:
Darth Vader doesn’t exist?
The empire created the rebel alliance as a propaganda scapegoat, but accidentally made it into a self-fulfilling prophecy?

The Endor holocaust theory

Of course there were direct and indirect references in books and RotS about the empire mounting a disinformation campaign that the Jedi were trying to overthrow the Republic. It was also referenced in TFA that nobody seemed sure if Luke was real or not. And in the Jedi Academy books there’s a high level military scientist who’s been brainwashed into thinking that the imperial superweapons she’s developed are used for benevolent purposes like mining or breaking up asteroids.

Everyone
Sep 6, 2019

by sebmojo

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK posted:

I mean that's basically the point. :psyduck: They are unable to do it without the outsider / white savior because they are so simple or backwards or whatever you want to call it. To use the actual episode as an example: they wanted to destroy the speeders until Boba convinced them to stop and learn how to ride them.

You know what? There probably is a pretty cool story that revolves around the Sand People maybe luring out a Krayt Dragon or something to come destroy the train for them - a story in which outsiders like Boba Fett play no role whatsoever except to stay home and dig in sand for bug balls to refresh the thirst of the conquering Sand People tribe. Except this isn't that story. This is the Book of Boba Fett. So the stories are presumably going to revolve around on things Boba Fett did in ways that Boba Fett would do them. That said, I would absolutely be up for a "Tales of the Tusken Raiders" series at some point.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kesper North
Nov 3, 2011

EMERGENCY POWER TO PARTY

Everyone posted:

The general contention (and i'm just summarizing a branch of critical theory here) is that white savior narratives may on the surface appear to return identity and self-determination to native peoples, any actual appeal to those (small, marginalized) outgroups is largely accidental. This show was design for mass appeal to a primarily white audience, and white savior narratives became popular as propaganda for white people because it teaches them that the only way for other cultures to succeed is to become like them. In fact, it makes it morally obligatory for us to "help" them become more like us. Which is also called "cultural imperialism".

Any empathetic person's initial instinct is to 'even the odds and give the good guys guns', but that still leaves the out-group dependent on outsiders for parts and fuel. Or, it causes them to begin raiding, as the other Sand People do (as mentioned in the episode). The assumption I'm attacking here is that guns and speeder bikes are not necessarily an inherent good, as the sudden arrival of motor transport and firearms often upset delicate balances of power among local leaders and cause further outbreaks of violence long after the initial inciting event. This production nodded to Laurence of Arabia, which is appropos, considering T. E. Lawrence wrote at some length about how the sudden arrival of firearms and motor transport completely upended the culture of the desert nomads while also rendering them more dependent on modern infrastructure.

I'm not saying this is what the showrunners literally intend, this is just the semiotic payload they're delivering even as, by all appearances, they're trying very hard not to. That's what's frustrating me. They're trying hard, and they're getting pretty close, but their own grasp (or perhaps the studio's own grasp) of what a story has to be shaped like seems to be limiting them here. Or maybe something we've yet to see will address this. Their storytelling is generally pretty savvy.

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK posted:

yeah this

Everyone posted:

You know what? There probably is a pretty cool story that revolves around the Sand People maybe luring out a Krayt Dragon or something to come destroy the train for them - a story in which outsiders like Boba Fett play no role whatsoever except to stay home and dig in sand for bug balls to refresh the thirst of the conquering Sand People tribe. Except this isn't that story. This is the Book of Boba Fett. So the stories are presumably going to revolve around on things Boba Fett did in ways that Boba Fett would do them. That said, I would absolutely be up for a "Tales of the Tusken Raiders" series at some point.

I think that's an awesome idea. That's actually kind of what I expected they'd do, but I'm guessing the CGI budget wasn't there.

You're right, this is the Book of Boba Fett. And they had to have Boba do something. The problem is, they put this story in the wrong book. They shouldn't have involved Boba in this particular tale in the first place. If he has to be there, have it be a thing that happens around him, or have him go off and find out when the train is going to come back. Have him do something else for the Sand People - anything else, as long as it isn't showing them how to be like offworlders.

This show likes to have people fight giant monsters, maybe do that again, nobody really seems to mind as long as it's a cool monster and somebody ends up covered in slime.

Kesper North fucked around with this message at 05:37 on Jan 11, 2022