Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mellow Seas
Oct 9, 2012
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Maybe people wouldn't have taken GMA's presentation of Walensky's remarks at face value if they had more experience with Media Analysis & Criticism. :smugdog:

e: It actually is interesting that this is a case of a media outlet putting out something misleading not because of an ideological agenda, but because they just did a bad job with editing a piece into the time that was available. Stuff like that is a pretty big source of misinformation, possibly rivaling intentional misinformation as a source of misconceptions among the public.

People are already pretty bad at assimilating and organizing new information in their minds, getting information from a source that is having the same problems just compounds that.

Mellow Seas fucked around with this message at 22:44 on Jan 10, 2022

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

cat botherer
Jan 6, 2022

I am interested in most phases of data processing.

Reverend Dr posted:

Lol if the CDC agreed to an interview without the condition of editorial control. That is a massive unforced error.
No one could have predicted that a TV interview might be edited:

Discendo Vox posted:

It was not predictable that GMA would cut up the interview question in the manner that they did.

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

This does not make sense when, again, aggregate indicia also indicate improvements. The belief that things are worse is false. It remains false.

cat botherer posted:

No one could have predicted that a TV interview might be edited:

You appear to be ignoring the "in the matter that they did" in the very sentence you are quoting. It is not routine for GMA to gently caress up an interview clip so much, and there is not really any way for the interviewee to prevent this sort of editing failure other than, again, not giving the interview.

Reverend Dr posted:

Lol if the CDC agreed to an interview without the condition of editorial control. That is a massive unforced error.

It's specifically against ABC's editorial standards to give any amount of editorial control to interviewees. It's the first point of their interviewing policy editorial standard, and that's really basic for ensuring the independence of a press outlet.

Bishyaler
Dec 30, 2009
Megamarm

Discendo Vox posted:

It's specifically not straight from the source; the CDC is not directly communicating to people. It's literally a media effect. The mediating entity took the original message, removed it from its context, removed part of the message, and presented it as complete and in a different context. It then spread through social media being even further misrepresented and chopped up. There is not a way for the original message author to address this except by circumventing the mediating channels; that's very rarely possible. The onus is overwhelmingly on the audience to be sufficiently literate in how media works, and sufficiently capable of exercising critical thought, to not pick up and repeat the misrepresentation just because it gives them something to be angry about. Yes, this does in fact make public health communication really loving difficult.

Adding the context that she was talking about vaccine efficacy doesn't change that she's minimizing the deaths of people with co-morbidities. You're just mad that the a clip was edited to shine a light on her callousness.

Reverend Dr
Feb 9, 2005

Thanks Reverend

Discendo Vox posted:

It's specifically against ABC's editorial standards to give any amount of editorial control to interviewees. It's the first point of their interviewing policy editorial standard, and that's really basic for ensuring the independence of a press outlet.

This is the first time you've addressed me, so I will ask directly: are you using the SA forums, any of the content, or interactions in your research?

JonathonSpectre
Jul 23, 2003

I replaced the Shermatar and text with this because I don't wanna see racial slurs every time you post what the fuck

Soiled Meat

Willa Rogers posted:

One of my friends who took care of office plants then became a preschool teacher told me that she made more money as a plant lady than taking care of younguns.

I used to be a wedding DJ. One month I did 8 total weddings, booked up all 4 of my weekends and did Saturday/Sunday for a month.

I made more money working ~50 hours of "work" on those weekends as a loving wedding DJ than I made that month in my real job as a twenty-year teacher. Almost twice as much, actually.

My "work" as a wedding DJ was making playlists on an iPad, pressing play, and being charming on the mic. The hardest part of the job by far was finding the venue.

Another symptom of the society that knows everything's price and nothing's value.

cat botherer
Jan 6, 2022

I am interested in most phases of data processing.

Discendo Vox posted:

You appear to be ignoring the "in the matter that they did" in the very sentence you are quoting. It is not routine for GMA to gently caress up an interview clip so much, and there is not really any way for the interviewee to prevent this sort of editing failure other than, again, not giving the interview.

I think the broader point is that you're missing the forest for the trees. No one cares about ABC's editorial standards or whatever, and ABC's edits weren't the cause of the sheer awfulness of the CDC's communication in this case.

cat botherer fucked around with this message at 23:01 on Jan 10, 2022

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

This does not make sense when, again, aggregate indicia also indicate improvements. The belief that things are worse is false. It remains false.

cat botherer posted:

I think the broader point is that you're missing the forest for the trees. No one cares about ABC's editorial standards or whatever, and ABC's edits weren't the cause of the sheer awfulness of the CDC's communication in this case.

The immediate cause of the misrepresentation of the quote was GMA's poor editing, followed by additional, worse misrepresentation as the clip flowed through social media. I've explained this multiple times. You not caring about how and why the interview happened the way it did does not obligate the rest of us to remain ignorant.

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer

Bishyaler posted:

Adding the context that she was talking about vaccine efficacy doesn't change that she's minimizing the deaths of people with co-morbidities. You're just mad that the a clip was edited to shine a light on her callousness.

Yes. People are latching on to the "encouraging" quote because GMA removing the context did change the messaging on that part.

BUT the co-morbidities stuff though, her point's still there. She's still minimizing the deaths of the disabled/sick/vulnerable as if those people's lives don't matter. I saw MORE criticism of that part of her quote than the "encouraging" part.

Folks are trying to hand-wave away the sick poo poo she said because GMA made an editing mistake, but it won't just go away. The administration will probably keep taking that line anyway because they suck poo poo and they're full steam ahead on just using all the Trump lines from April 2020 anyway.

unattended spaghetti
May 10, 2013

Bishyaler posted:

Exactly. The material facts of the message don’t change whether the supposed whole context is revealed. For folks tut tutting about media literacy, this is especially hilarious.

I’m really stunned at the logical acrobatics folks have to perform to attempt to justify this poo poo, and furthermore the way the rhetorical focus keeps shifting away from the most saliant point. No that point is not vaccine ephicacy. Any citizen aware of this does not need to be convinced, and any citizen unconvinced is unlikely to shift their position in response to an apparatus they don’t trust.

So um it really doesn’t matter whether we get the entirety of the message or not. As I said before, this is what erasure looks like.

I should note that this erasure serves dual purposes, if this isn’t self-evident. Many of the comorbidities we’re talking about are often crassly applied to particular voter blocks for a cheap ideological win. So there’s some motivation here for people to carry their rhetorical ball into the endzone, since they’ve staked a lot on it in the last year and a half. Sure, that voter block had a lot to do with their own current woes, but let’s not pretend this is anything other than what it is.

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

*Israeli Government-affiliated poster

Bishyaler posted:

Even if you take it as uncharitably as possible, you really think that:

quote:

People shouldn't be worried about vaccine efficacy. It is 99.98% effective at preventing death in Omicron cases. People pointing out that vaccinated people die too should note that almost everyone who was vaccinated and died had multiple complicating factors and even people with two or three comorbidities have a 99.99% survival rate when vaccinated. Only ~20 people out of 1.2 million died after being vaccinated, so even that group was tiny. That does not disprove the efficacy of vaccines and that's really encouraging news about vaccines and Omicron.

is the exact same as:

quote:

Roughly 640,000 out of 836,000 people that died had 4 or more comorbidities. That's really encouraging because healthy people are very unlikely to die and it is mostly very sick people who will die.

Nonsense
Jan 26, 2007

https://twitter.com/evgrieve/status/1480659349479505921?s=20

This is a terrible winter for fires in New York City, I imagine this is very common in the cold season?

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

*Israeli Government-affiliated poster
Remember when George W. Bush used one of his State of the Union speeches to promise to ban experimentation and research on creating human-animal hybrids for medical purposes and everyone laughed at how silly it was?

https://twitter.com/nytimes/status/1480646441420873730

We should have listened, because 18 years later, the first genetically engineered human-pig hybrid has been created and its heart now beats in the chest of a human/human hybrid. It's only a matter of time until the human-pig hybrids get tired of being used as organ donors.

Srice
Sep 11, 2011

BurningBeard posted:

Exactly. The material facts of the message don’t change whether the supposed whole context is revealed. For folks tut tutting about media literacy, this is especially hilarious.

I’m really stunned at the logical acrobatics folks have to perform to attempt to justify this poo poo, and furthermore the way the rhetorical focus keeps shifting away from the most saliant point. No that point is not vaccine ephicacy. Any citizen aware of this does not need to be convinced, and any citizen unconvinced is unlikely to shift their position in response to an apparatus they don’t trust.

So um it really doesn’t matter whether we get the entirety of the message or not. As I said before, this is what erasure looks like.

I should note that this erasure serves dual purposes, if this isn’t self-evident. Many of the comorbidities we’re talking about are often crassly applied to particular voter blocks for a cheap ideological win. So there’s some motivation here for people to carry their rhetorical ball into the endzone, since they’ve staked a lot on it in the last year and a half. Sure, that voter block had a lot to do with their own current woes, but let’s not pretend this is anything other than what it is.

Honestly my rule of thumb is to assume that when I hear that I need to hear the full context of something bad before judging it, that the full context likely won't change my mind.

For this specific instance, well, I sure still find those comments just as callous as the "out of context" version!

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

Leon Trotsky 2012 posted:

Remember when George W. Bush used one of his State of the Union speeches to promise to ban experimentation and research on creating human-animal hybrids for medical purposes and everyone laughed at how silly it was?

We should have listened, because 18 years later, the first genetically engineered human-pig hybrid has been created and its heart now beats in the chest of a human/human hybrid. It's only a matter of time until the human-pig hybrids get tired of being used as organ donors.

And here I was thinking the world’s first actual animal-human hybrid would be some super hot sexually confusing lion or tiger guy, not some fat dude with a pig heart.

Reality continues to disappoint.

unattended spaghetti
May 10, 2013

Srice posted:

Honestly my rule of thumb is to assume that when I hear that I need to hear the full context of something bad before judging it, that the full context likely won't change my mind.

For this specific instance, well, I sure still find those comments just as callous as the "out of context" version!

Yeah you’re right. I’m not saying the full context doesn’t matter ever, but that in this case it doesn’t change the facts.

I don’t advocate people going off minus the whole story. I don’t use twitter for that exact reason. But what I don’t understand here is the redoubled effort to give the fuckin’ CDC director a whoopsy pass. It says a lot about one’s priorities if they’ll stand vigil for a perceived enemy under particular circumstances.

https://twitter.com/CDCDirector/status/1480327258564964356?s=20

So, what she’s saying is that vaccines are ephicacious so let’s not get into that triage scenario I stupidly brought up and showed my ugly by saying it was cool if disabled people died, were that to occur. No, of course not. Ephicacious vaccines, look over here.

I don’t want to muddy the waters with additional issues, but this messaging is also patronizing and operates under the presumption that disabled people are passive recipients of care, as opposed to their own advocates. I point this out because that sort of reasoning is the onramp to the other sort of reasoning she displayed in the interview.

e: It’s also worth noting that this kind of language is used to justify the blatant disregard for “essential workers.” Things like: we need to protect our essential workers. It’s a handy rhetorical tool when you want to remove agency from a populous. Treat them like a possession in the public trust.

unattended spaghetti fucked around with this message at 23:53 on Jan 10, 2022

Bishyaler
Dec 30, 2009
Megamarm

Even if you take it as uncharitably as possible, you really think that:

is the exact same as:

They don't need to be the same. Both statements minimize the deaths of people with co-morbidities. Your top example is what you wish she said, but she didn't say that now, did she?

Dpulex
Feb 26, 2013

Seinfeld did this already

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1_mMjb-RZEk

Gatts
Jan 2, 2001

Goodnight Moon

Nap Ghost

Onion did something amazing with this concept

https://youtu.be/PwQns6vGfj4

StratGoatCom
Aug 6, 2019

Our security is guaranteed by being able to melt the eyeballs of any other forum's denizens at 15 minutes notice

I too, have read relevation space.

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

was there a time when speedwagon didn't get trolled

Nonsense posted:

This is a terrible winter for fires in New York City, I imagine this is very common in the cold season?

Yeah, space heaters are ludicrously dangerous fire generating death boxes even when they're brand new, and a lot of people will leave them running for long periods of time or even fall asleep with them on.

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

Kanos posted:

Yeah, space heaters are ludicrously dangerous fire generating death boxes even when they're brand new, and a lot of people will leave them running for long periods of time or even fall asleep with them on.

I remember as a young kid my sister and I had a pair of soft fuzzy kiddie chairs that we'd sit in in the family room in the winter when we'd watch family movies and we had a space heater behind them, like one of the early model ones that was basically a giant suped up open-air toaster with the metal strips that heated up. One of us, I can't remember who, leaned back too far one time and the heat that thing put out was so intense, the chair caught on fire and we had to scramble to put it out. The whole family learned a valuable lesson real fast.

I've never trusted a space heater since then.

lil poopendorfer
Nov 13, 2014

by the sex ghost
I remember all the hullabaloo about stem cell research, and here we are 20 years with a big fat nothing.

Yes, I know research is ongoing and “promising future developments” are on the horizon but man what a wet fart all that was

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

lil poopendorfer posted:

I remember all the hullabaloo about stem cell research, and here we are 20 years with a big fat nothing.

Yes, I know research is ongoing and “promising future developments” are on the horizon but man what a wet fart all that was

And a big part of that was the US outlawing it and stymieing global research efforts by a probably couple decades itself.

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

a specific vein of lasagna

lil poopendorfer posted:

Stem cell research has proven to be as effective as promised and more. Unfortunately you’re a victim of a heavy propaganda campaign.

The Angry Bum
Nov 10, 2005

Nonsense posted:

It's quite common in the Bronx and Brooklyn since a lot of the buildings follow the archaic laws about when apartments need to have the heat turned on and basically the slumlords would rather eat the fines than to actually provide tenants with actual heat. So people have to resort to space heaters to actually not freeze during the winter. We just had a massive blaze that killed 19 people in a Bronx apartment complex because the landlord wasn't bothering to repair anything in the building. They're blaming doors that wouldn't close that could have trapped the fire.

But we should not acknowledge that said landlord was a major contributor to Eric Adams and was on his mayoral transition team in charge of housing. 10 days of Eric Adams as mayor. I want DeBlasio back.

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

Maybe they're thinking of stem cell therapy and embryonic stem cell research?

Sax Mortar
Aug 24, 2004

nine-gear crow posted:

I remember as a young kid my sister and I had a pair of soft fuzzy kiddie chairs that we'd sit in in the family room in the winter when we'd watch family movies and we had a space heater behind them, like one of the early model ones that was basically a giant suped up open-air toaster with the metal strips that heated up. One of us, I can't remember who, leaned back too far one time and the heat that thing put out was so intense, the chair caught on fire and we had to scramble to put it out. The whole family learned a valuable lesson real fast.

I've never trusted a space heater since then.

One time in college I plugged in an old space heater and it immediately started spewing fire out of the front of it. Technically a fast way to heat the place up, but that was scary as hell.

Willa Rogers
Mar 11, 2005

Bottom Liner posted:

Stem cell research has proven to be as effective as promised and more. Unfortunately you’re a victim of a heavy propaganda campaign.

Yeah; I've had several friends with terminal cancer get stem-cell replacement therapy.

They all died, but it bought them some extra years.

IT BURNS
Nov 19, 2012

Gatts posted:

Onion did something amazing with this concept

https://youtu.be/PwQns6vGfj4

One of the best and most horrifying things the Onion has ever done, IMO.

MixMasterMalaria
Jul 26, 2007

Bishyaler posted:

They don't need to be the same. Both statements minimize the deaths of people with co-morbidities. Your top example is what you wish she said, but she didn't say that now, did she?

Yes, I'm sure the person who dedicated their career to public health, specifically helping those with HIV (the most stigmatizing comorbidity), is secretly a eugenics-favoring creep who doesn't care if people die from covid as long as they have comorbidities. It's like people have surrendered their willingness to even do the slightest contextualization of communications so long as the ol' confirmation bias gets triggered.

goethe.cx
Apr 23, 2014

MixMasterMalaria posted:

Yes, I'm sure the person who dedicated their career to public health, specifically helping those with HIV (the most stigmatizing comorbidity), is secretly a eugenics-favoring creep who doesn't care if people die from covid as long as they have comorbidities. It's like people have surrendered their willingness to even do the slightest contextualization of communications so long as the ol' confirmation bias gets triggered.

A statement cannot simply be poorly phrased. It must necessarily reflect a heinous belief that the person sincerely holds, especially when they belong to the democratic party

Harold Fjord
Jan 3, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 47 hours!
It's not so much a belief as the default way the disabled are treated under capitalism.

Bishyaler
Dec 30, 2009
Megamarm

MixMasterMalaria posted:

She doesn't need to have a cartoon lair inside a volcano, its the banality of evil. If you can understand how racist language and attitudes build the foundation of racist policy, you can understand the same for people with disabilities. And in America you don't need to look far for examples of either.

unattended spaghetti
May 10, 2013

MixMasterMalaria posted:

Lol this is like when people thought Harris’s background meant something when it came to doing her job.

“Please permit me the opportunity to placate you by invoking another tragic thing so you can ignore my stated beliefs.”

Y’all really gonna carry water for this all the way down huh?

Like, I’m down with calling chuds nazis even though it’s not strictly accurate. The Nazi Party is an actual organization that actually existed in mid-century Germany.

But like, eh, whatever, I’ll give people the benefit of the doubt, because that’s what being a leftist is about, the spirit of collectivism.

So whatever, Nazi’s a Nazi.

But you call someone’s casual disregard for folks a eugenic policy and oh man we can’t have that.

Give me a fuckin’ break.

Carrying water for this poo poo makes you complicit, and every time you hypocrits roll up and try to run someone out for not acting according to whichever dogmatic playbook you’ve adopted for whichever political moment, you know, it was wokism, now it’s economic and labor support, when y’all do that poo poo, remember that you defended this poo poo.

I made this point before, but if a POC came in here and aired a grievance with the banality of institutional neglect that lead to their humanity being denied them, did the labor of sharing their experience for the benefit of a better future, y’all would listen. And if any motherfucker dared raise an objection to that in the name of fairness to these poor agrieved institutions, y’all would be ready with knives out and fascist on your lying lips.

Y’all did that when some shithead came in here trying to get supposed clarity on the Rittenhouse case, that poo poo got slapped down real quick.

Just pathetic how flexible these supposed principles end up being when the demographics shift.

And this has nothing to do with race, as I’ve said already. Disability is the most loving intersectional minority there is.

In two days when the CDC does some other bone-headed poo poo, y’all will be back at it then, too, talking poo poo and forgetting just a moment earlier you were chiding someone for getting too uppity about their lived experience and legit fears.

gently caress all the way off for real.

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

a specific vein of lasagna
Calling Chuds Nazis is accurate because their goals are the same. Calling a lifelong medical professional a eugenicist for wording a phrase in a harmful or insensitive way is not accurate because they are trying to save people, including those they are supposedly cheering about the deaths of (which is an extremely uncharitable take of what was said).

There's a lot of irony poising in this discourse and no one is going to change their positions, but I thought that was worth differentiating.

Willa Rogers posted:

Yeah; I've had several friends with terminal cancer get stem-cell replacement therapy.

They all died, but it bought them some extra years.

That really sucks. I hope they had some quality years.

MixMasterMalaria
Jul 26, 2007

BurningBeard posted:

Lol this is like when people thought Harris’s background meant something when it came to doing her job.

“Please permit me the opportunity to placate you by invoking another tragic thing so you can ignore my stated beliefs.”

Y’all really gonna carry water for this all the way down huh?

Like, I’m down with calling chuds nazis even though it’s not strictly accurate. The Nazi Party is an actual organization that actually existed in mid-century Germany.

But like, eh, whatever, I’ll give people the benefit of the doubt, because that’s what being a leftist is about, the spirit of collectivism.

So whatever, Nazi’s a Nazi.

But you call someone’s casual disregard for folks a eugenic policy and oh man we can’t have that.

Give me a fuckin’ break.

Carrying water for this poo poo makes you complicit, and every time you hypocrits roll up and try to run someone out for not acting according to whichever dogmatic playbook you’ve adopted for whichever political moment, you know, it was wokism, now it’s economic and labor support, when y’all do that poo poo, remember that you defended this poo poo.

I made this point before, but if a POC came in here and aired a grievance with the banality of institutional neglect that lead to their humanity being denied them, did the labor of sharing their experience for the benefit of a better future, y’all would listen. And if any motherfucker dared raise an objection to that in the name of fairness to these poor agrieved institutions, y’all would be ready with knives out and fascist on your lying lips.

Y’all did that when some shithead came in here trying to get supposed clarity on the Rittenhouse case, that poo poo got slapped down real quick.

Just pathetic how flexible these supposed principles end up being when the demographics shift.

And this has nothing to do with race, as I’ve said already. Disability is the most loving intersectional minority there is.

In two days when the CDC does some other bone-headed poo poo, y’all will be back at it then, too, talking poo poo and forgetting just a moment earlier you were chiding someone for getting too uppity about their lived experience and legit fears.

gently caress all the way off for real.

It's also tremendous entitlement and actual social violence to baselessly pillory a person of good will for misspeaking by purposefully ignoring everything about them and choosing the worse case scenario reading of their words to make your point about social problems. Weird that you're so ready to treat any questioning of the righteousness of making GBS threads on a person as a social contagion that marks me as complicit in the rhetorical apparatus underpinning all social neglect and violence against the disabled community.

edit: perhaps too inflammatory on my part. Clearly you have reasons for your anger and I definitely agree that marginalization of disabled persons is a problem on many levels. I respect your intensity in pushing back against what you see as a dismissal of the value of disabled lives by those at the highest levels of a system that has historically failed them (or worse). Removed the last bit of what I wrote in the spirit of respectful conversation.

MixMasterMalaria fucked around with this message at 05:52 on Jan 11, 2022

Willa Rogers
Mar 11, 2005

Bottom Liner posted:

That really sucks. I hope they had some quality years.

My dear friend who died four years ago this wednesday spent her last year traveling around the country & listening to live music, her passion.

She was 54 when she died of multiple myeloma that was diagnosed when she was 49. (She had symptoms for several years prior, but had to wait for expanded medicaid to kick in before she could afford to see specialists.)

Fritz the Horse
Dec 26, 2019

... of course!
FWIW just to clarify, forum bans and thread bans issued previously are still in effect pending review. Koos Group is evaluating the bans of several folks that contacted them or posted itt, including Yeowch!!! My Balls!!! and Bishyaler. Until a decision is made, please refrain from posting here. Thank you.

edit: actually woops, Koos just said Bishyaler is no longer forum banned but forgot to post that. Yeowch!!! My Balls!!! and anyone else who've been corresponding with Koos are still under review.

Fritz the Horse fucked around with this message at 05:43 on Jan 11, 2022

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bishyaler
Dec 30, 2009
Megamarm

Willa Rogers posted:

My dear friend who died four years ago this wednesday spent her last year traveling around the country & listening to live music, her passion.

She was 54 when she died of multiple myeloma that was diagnosed when she was 49. (She had symptoms for several years prior, but had to wait for expanded medicaid to kick in before she could afford to see specialists.)

Only 54. God that's bleak, sorry for your loss.