Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Red and Black
Sep 5, 2011

nurmie posted:

If I may, I'd like to ask for a clarification on this. Are there any reasons you hold this particular opinion? Because for an opinion it seems to be awfully close to be worded as a statement of historical fact.

It's difficult to prove what someones intentions are in using a term. I would point to the syntax of the term, it's similarity to the term Holocaust (in English), and the fact that similar terms haven't been discovered in English for the many other famines that have occurred throughout history (Ireland and Bengal come to mind). I would be happy if it were accepted that I personally don't use the term because of these connotations and there's nothing malicious about describing the historical event as the Ukrainian Famine.

Koos Group posted:

Even if something is merely your opinion, you still need to be willing to fully defend it (or at least reconsider it) if you state it in D&D. Bear that in mind.

Yes, I'm happy to abide by your rules as long as everyone here is held to them equally.

Red and Black fucked around with this message at 20:23 on Jan 10, 2022

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Koos Group
Mar 6, 2013

Koos Group posted:

Well, whether the discussion is interesting and not repeating itself is a concern to me, so I'll keep that in mind. However, because this is the only Eastern Europe thread, people have a right to discuss Eastern European issues here even if some of the regulars like using it more as a hangout. I would be willing to do what the Canada thread does, and have one hangout thread mostly for Canadians and another more serious discussion thread.

Erm, I mean a hangout thread mostly for Eastern Europeans, not Canadians.

Minenfeld!
Aug 21, 2012

Just seeking some clarity here: all the key posters in this discussion seem to agree that there was a famine resulting in mass death that the Soviet government is responsible for. Is the key dispute about whether or not it qualifies as a genocide based on if there was intentionality? i.e., it does not qualify as a genocide if the Soviet government did not set out to kill Ukrainians?

Dwesa
Jul 19, 2016

Maybe I'll go where I can see stars

Nenonen posted:

We should create a recipe for some horrendous salad and name it Djokovic.
After few beers in a pub, I gave this a thought and I am wondering what would be some unique Serbo-Australian dish. I have no problem coming with some Serbian (or rather Balkan) dishes, but I am not sure what would be Australia's addition, something like pljeskavica or cevap from kangaroo meat? Yeah, I don't know much about Australia's cuisine and they don't seem to have some globally-known fruit like NZ has kiwis.

Rust Martialis
May 8, 2007

At night, Bavovnyatko quietly comes to the occupiers’ bases, depots, airfields, oil refineries and other places full of flammable items and starts playing with fire there

Koos Group posted:

Erm, I mean a hangout thread mostly for Eastern Europeans, not Canadians.

:canada:

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

The blue glow is a feature, not a bug

Pillbug

Minenfeld! posted:

Just seeking some clarity here: all the key posters in this discussion seem to agree that there was a famine resulting in mass death that the Soviet government is responsible for. Is the key dispute about whether or not it qualifies as a genocide based on if there was intentionality? i.e., it does not qualify as a genocide if the Soviet government did not set out to kill Ukrainians?

That appears to be the major scholarly debating point both here and in academia: Was it intentional? Or was it just a side effect of Stalin's industrialization coming at the same time as multiple famines combined with ethnic cleansing, etc.

Nenonen
Oct 22, 2009

Mulla on aina kolkyt donaa taskussa

Dwesa posted:

After few beers in a pub, I gave this a thought and I am wondering what would be some unique Serbo-Australian dish. I have no problem coming with some Serbian (or rather Balkan) dishes, but I am not sure what would be Australia's addition, something like pljeskavica or cevap from kangaroo meat? Yeah, I don't know much about Australia's cuisine and they don't seem to have some globally-known fruit like NZ has kiwis.

Vegemite is a fruit, innit? And it's said to be healthy - probably keeps even covid away!

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

We don't need to have that dialogue because it's obvious, trivial, and has already been had a thousand times.
An olivier salad with beetroot and a steaming vegemite spread.

barbecue at the folks
Jul 20, 2007

A shot of slivovic drowned in a can of VB

nurmie
Dec 8, 2019
i just found out today what's the deal with Djokovic, and i still can't believe how incredibly stupid it all is.

Dwesa
Jul 19, 2016

Maybe I'll go where I can see stars

barbecue at the folks posted:

A shot of slivovic drowned in a can of VB
:barf:

Somehow more offending than olivier salad with vegemite

waydownLo
Oct 1, 2016

Dwesa posted:

a bunch of cubed polony mixed with minced gherkins and mayonnaise

A Buttery Pastry
Sep 4, 2011

Delicious and Informative!
:3:

Red and Black posted:

It's difficult to prove what someones intentions are in using a term. I would point to the syntax of the term, it's similarity to the term Holocaust (in English), and the fact that similar terms haven't been discovered in English for the many other famines that have occurred throughout history (Ireland and Bengal come to mind). I would be happy if it were accepted that I personally don't use the term because of these connotations and there's nothing malicious about describing the historical event as the Ukrainian Famine.
I hadn't considered this, but thinking about it, your point here actually makes some amount of sense. Giving a famine a generic name, like "Bengal famine of 1943", shifts it in a category of "just another historical famine", while the term Holodomor makes it stand out as something more and gives it an almost mythical feel (to people unaware of the actual meaning of the name).

That said, I feel like that's more an argument in favor of adapting more evocative terms for other famines. An Droch Shaol has a lot more punch than Irish Potato Famine, which given the jokes about potatoes seems to have convinced people pretty well that the cause of it was an over-reliance of the Irish on potatoes rather than deliberate British policy. A parallel being if you started referring to the Holodomor as "the Ukrainian Grain Famine".

nurmie
Dec 8, 2019

waydownLo posted:

a bunch of cubed polony mixed with minced gherkins and mayonnaise

i mean, that's basically olivier anyway

Oracle
Oct 9, 2004

A Buttery Pastry posted:

I hadn't considered this, but thinking about it, your point here actually makes some amount of sense. Giving a famine a generic name, like "Bengal famine of 1943", shifts it in a category of "just another historical famine", while the term Holodomor makes it stand out as something more and gives it an almost mythical feel (to people unaware of the actual meaning of the name).

That said, I feel like that's more an argument in favor of adapting more evocative terms for other famines. An Droch Shaol has a lot more punch than Irish Potato Famine, which given the jokes about potatoes seems to have convinced people pretty well that the cause of it was an over-reliance of the Irish on potatoes rather than deliberate British policy. A parallel being if you started referring to the Holodomor as "the Ukrainian Grain Famine".

An Gorta Mor is a term I've heard more than once, also the Great Famine or Irish Famine. Black '47 also specifically comes to mind but I'm a genealogy nerd so probably hear more than most.

FishBulbia
Dec 22, 2021

Minenfeld! posted:

Here is what is not debatable for historians:

The Soviet Government knew about the famines

The Soviet Government chose not to send aid, and instead took actions to exacerbate the famines

Here is what is debatable:

The Soviet Government chose to exacerbate the famine specifically to kill ethnic Ukrainians, rather than just peasants, or people living in those areas.

For something to be a genocide, it needs the intent to eliminate the people of an identity. It is a descriptive, and not normative term. Some of history's worst atrocities do not fit the criteria. That does not mean they are "better" than genocides for the people who suffered and died.

Somaen
Nov 19, 2007

by vyelkin

CommieGIR posted:

That appears to be the major scholarly debating point both here and in academia: Was it intentional? Or was it just a side effect of Stalin's industrialization coming at the same time as multiple famines combined with ethnic cleansing, etc.

There are academic debates on the exact number of holocaust victims, but no one here is an academic and Question_Asker_1488 posting exclusively about the question if 6 million Jews really died is not actually interested in the scholarly analysis of the statistics from polish villages. The reasonable thing to do is to mock and insult him and promote instead a community for interesting people with unique life experiences and insights and not shutin political extremist roleplayers

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

Somaen posted:

There are academic debates on the exact number of holocaust victims, but no one here is an academic and Question_Asker_1488 posting exclusively about the question if 6 million Jews really died is not actually interested in the scholarly analysis of the statistics from polish villages. The reasonable thing to do is to mock and insult him and promote instead a community for interesting people with unique life experiences and insights and not shutin political extremist roleplayers

But that's not what he's doing? And the case for the Holocaust is a little more clear cut, what with the Nazis kinda having an entire book about "Exterminating the Jews" stuff.

Grape
Nov 16, 2017

Happily shilling for China!

CommieGIR posted:

But that's not what he's doing? And the case for the Holocaust is a little more clear cut, what with the Nazis kinda having an entire book about "Exterminating the Jews" stuff.

He is very much doing the very last thing, and thus informing the lack of good faith you detected.

Somaen
Nov 19, 2007

by vyelkin

CommieGIR posted:

But the _1488 people aren't denying that there were abuses committed against the Jews, just trying to ask the question if the 6 million figure is really accurate. You know, for purely academic accuracy reasons

Maybe there could be a mod approved thread for basement self-taught academics to debate the numbers, which killings are genocides, which don't meet the criteria and which are made up by the state department

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

FishBulbia posted:

For something to be a genocide, it needs the intent to eliminate the people of an identity. It is a descriptive, and not normative term. Some of history's worst atrocities do not fit the criteria. That does not mean they are "better" than genocides for the people who suffered and died.

Modern understanding of genocide stretches much further than the confines of ethnic groups or similar identities. I used to have a Greek roommate doing graduate programme in genocide studies, and he spent almost the entirety of our time of acquaintance talking about structural genocide (specifically, Brazilian favelas).

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

Somaen posted:

But the _1488 people aren't denying that there were abuses committed against the Jews, just trying to ask the question if the 6 million figure is really accurate. You know, for purely academic accuracy reasons

Maybe there could be a mod approved thread for basement self-taught academics to debate the numbers, which killings are genocides, which don't meet the criteria and which are made up by the state department

I think you are missing the point: I believe, personally, that the Holodomor is genocide. There's a lot of scholars that do. But whether Stalin went into the industrialization plan with the intent to cause mass death is what the definition is quibbling over. There's zero doubt about that with the Holocaust, its pretty much written down, they had literal meetings about doing exactly that.

Nobody is arguing what Stalin did, especially failing to relieve the famine, was not criminal, but how much they intended to kill 8 million Ukrainians or that was the intended goal is the underlying meaning they are debating.

CommieGIR fucked around with this message at 00:26 on Jan 11, 2022

FishBulbia
Dec 22, 2021

cinci zoo sniper posted:

Modern understanding of genocide stretches much further than the confines of ethnic groups or similar identities. I used to have a Greek roommate doing graduate programme in genocide studies, and he spent almost the entirety of our time of acquaintance talking about structural genocide (specifically, Brazilian favelas).

For sure, in sociology and the like the definition has expanded. For the most part, however, historians consider a genocide the deliberate destruction of physical life of individual human beings by reason of their membership with an identity, with the intent to destroy or otherwise diminish that identity. You're right, and intent is rarely spoken, but it's still the important part of the label.

FishBulbia fucked around with this message at 00:32 on Jan 11, 2022

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat

F Stop Fitzgerald posted:

plus, who cares, they were literally nazis or kulaks

This is the baseline discourse these curious scholars are engaging in where they are coming from. Any illusion that they argue in good faith and out of desire to further some kind of knowledge / theory must be viewed in light of this, and they should be afforded exactly as much respect in the responses they get as it implies.

steinrokkan fucked around with this message at 00:36 on Jan 11, 2022

nurmie
Dec 8, 2019

steinrokkan posted:

This is the baseline discourse these curious scholars are engaging in where they are coming from. Any illusion that they argue in good faith and out of desire to further some kind of knowledge / theory must be viewed in light of this, and they should be afforded exactly as much respect in the responses they get as it implies.

i mean, that's just one poster out of many, and iirc the only one being that strong in their Opinions. thread's now mostly discussing some, uh, seedier parts of Stalin's illustrious biography

Grimnarsson
Sep 4, 2018

CommieGIR posted:

I think you are missing the point: I believe, personally, that the Holodomor is genocide. There's a lot of scholars that do. But whether Stalin went into the industrialization plan with the intent to cause mass death is what the definition is quibbling over. There's zero doubt about that with the Holocaust, its pretty much written down, they had literal meetings about doing exactly that.

Nobody is arguing what Stalin did, especially failing to relieve the famine, was criminal, but how much they intended to kill 8 million Ukrainians or that was the intended goal is the underlying meaning they are debating.

From what I recall reading Stephen Kotkin's Waiting For Hitler the number 8 million would refer to the number dead all across the Soviet Union and upwards of half that would have been in Ukraine. I can't provide a quote from him since I had it on loan from the library but wikipedia seems to have a similar breakdown: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Soviet_famine_of_1932%E2%80%931933#Estimation_of_the_loss_of_life

quote:

It has been estimated that between 3.3[126] and 3.9 million died in Ukraine,[127] between 2 and 3 million died in Russia,[128] and 1.5–2 million (1.3 million of whom were ethnic Kazakhs) died in Kazakhstan.

So it seems that sometimes the term Holodomor, which refers to the famine and genocide in Ukraine, is being used in a confusing manner in that the deaths from rest of the USSR during that famine are being included as having been in Ukraine?

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

https://www.axios.com/kazakhstan-president-claims-coup-nazarbayev-6b662edc-1221-4948-862b-5263bb4dfb6e.html

As per this, there’s a version popular with some Kazakh dissidents in exile that the recent events were an attempt by Nazarbayev to overthrow Tokayev.

VitalSigns
Sep 3, 2011

You guys are really making this whole Stalin issue far too complicated.

All you really need to know is that everyone the lying imperialist media calls a good guy is actually bad (George W Bush, Angela Merkel, Joe Biden, Tony Blair, Queen Elizabeth, racist islamophobe war criminal B Hussein Obama, Hillary Clinton, Benjamin Netanyahu, Shah Pahlavi etc), and everyone the lying imperialist media hates is actually good (Jeremy Corbyn, Bernie Sanders, Princess Di, Dennis Kucinich, Saddam Hussein, Ho Chi Minh, Mossadegh, Bashar al-Assad, etc)

So what does they lying imperialist media say about Comrade Stalin, hm?

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

nurmie
Dec 8, 2019

VitalSigns posted:

All you really need to know is that everyone the lying imperialist media calls a good guy is actually bad (George W Bush, Angela Merkel, Joe Biden, Tony Blair, Queen Elizabeth, racist islamophobe war criminal B Hussein Obama, Hillary Clinton, Benjamin Netanyahu, Shah Pahlavi etc), and everyone the lying imperialist media hates is actually good (Jeremy Corbyn, Bernie Sanders, Princess Di, Dennis Kucinich, Saddam Hussein, Ho Chi Minh, Mossadegh, Bashar al-Assad, etc)

i mean, this but unironically lol (and with some additions/omissions to both of these lists)

though basing your opinions on what the media (imperialist or otherwise) pushes might not always be the best solution, one way or the other

also, honestly, i don't think it's a good look to put Bernie Sanders, Hồ Chí Minh and Saddam loving Hussain anywhere close to each other in any list, no matter what point you're trying to make

(regardless though, i don't think this is a discussion for this particular thread)

nurmie fucked around with this message at 02:28 on Jan 11, 2022

Grape
Nov 16, 2017

Happily shilling for China!

nurmie posted:

i mean, this but unironically lol (and with some additions/omissions to both of these lists)

though basing your opinions on what the media (imperialist or otherwise) pushes might not always be the best solution, one way or the other

also, honestly, i don't think it's a good look to put Bernie Sanders, Hồ Chí Minh and Saddam loving Hussain anywhere close to each other in any list, no matter what point you're trying to make

(regardless though, i don't think this is a discussion for this particular thread)

I'm not sure you get what that post is saying/mocking.

nurmie
Dec 8, 2019

Grape posted:

I'm not sure you get what that post is saying/mocking.

trust me i do. its just putting these particular people next to each other seemed kinda off to me

OddObserver
Apr 3, 2009

Grimnarsson posted:

From what I recall reading Stephen Kotkin's Waiting For Hitler the number 8 million would refer to the number dead all across the Soviet Union and upwards of half that would have been in Ukraine. I can't provide a quote from him since I had it on loan from the library but wikipedia seems to have a similar breakdown: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Soviet_famine_of_1932%E2%80%931933#Estimation_of_the_loss_of_life

So it seems that sometimes the term Holodomor, which refers to the famine and genocide in Ukraine, is being used in a confusing manner in that the deaths from rest of the USSR during that famine are being included as having been in Ukraine?

"Coincidentally" a whole bunch of the people who died in Russia just happened to be ethnic Ukrainians. (Kazakhstan is an entirely different story, of course, and it would be completely inappropriate to use Ukrainian terms to talk about that).

FishBulbia
Dec 22, 2021

OddObserver posted:

"Coincidentally" a whole bunch of the people who died in Russia just happened to be ethnic Ukrainians. (Kazakhstan is an entirely different story, of course, and it would be completely inappropriate to use Ukrainian terms to talk about that).

It killed a whole bunch of people all across Ukraine, Southern Russia, and Kazakhstan. I'm not sure what your point it is.

WAR CRIME GIGOLO
Oct 3, 2012

The Hague
tryna get me
for these glutes

America is keeping the Europeans out of the European security deal.

Solid work folks. Gladio is over, we don't need Europe and the economic usage of politics means we are willing to sellout loving Europe! woohoo! We learned how well negotiating with the Taliban did for us in terms of locking in an exit strategy so let's transport it to the forefront of democracy and negotiate Ukraines future with Russia.

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy

WAR CRIME GIGOLO posted:

good riddance, are they also gonna be finally withdrawing their troops/bases?

WAR CRIME GIGOLO
Oct 3, 2012

The Hague
tryna get me
for these glutes

Truga posted:

good riddance, are they also gonna be finally withdrawing their troops/bases?

One would hope but hahahahah

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy
yeah it was more of a joke question sorry

Grouchio
Aug 31, 2014

WAR CRIME GIGOLO posted:

Solid work folks. Gladio is over, we don't need Europe and the economic usage of politics means we are willing to sellout loving Europe! woohoo! We learned how well negotiating with the Taliban did for us in terms of locking in an exit strategy so let's transport it to the forefront of democracy and negotiate Ukraines future with Russia.
Source? Found the source: https://www.nytimes.com/2022/01/10/world/europe/us-russia-europe-ukraine-nato.html

Grouchio fucked around with this message at 05:48 on Jan 11, 2022

WAR CRIME GIGOLO
Oct 3, 2012

The Hague
tryna get me
for these glutes

C'mon grouch don't you have Al Jazeera playing 12 hours a day like I do?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Grouchio
Aug 31, 2014

Isn't it....bad that we just sold out the EU/Europe? Don't we need them for things?

WAR CRIME GIGOLO posted:

C'mon grouch don't you have Al Jazeera playing 12 hours a day like I do?
gently caress no i'll die in five years from stress if I continue to do that.