Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

CRUSTY MINGE
Mar 30, 2011

Peggy Hill
Foot Connoisseur

Senor Tron posted:

Even if they couldn't pin anything else on him, taking Deb from the hospital and dropping her in the ocean would get him some attention.

Likely some statute of limitations thing. Attention, sure. Charges, meh, probably not.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Astro7x
Aug 4, 2004
Thinks It's All Real

roomtone posted:

i mean he shouldn't have said anything at all, they would have found it soon enough with molly and kurt both being missing. it's all just because everything had to happen right this instant, so dexter had to become extremely stupid for it to work.

it's not really worth getting into the mechanics of this though, i don't think the writers really cared. it's just felt like dexter should get caught and die, so he did, how it happened wasn't as important.

I agree, getting into the mechanics of it is stupid because of the poo poo writing. They wanted to have Dexter get caught but also wanted Dexter to die, and they wanted it to all happen in a single episode.

Also, noticed this gem on Batista's computer that I haven't seen mentioned before

Tonde Mo Nai
Jul 9, 2005
my symbolism was stripped away long ago
Very amused by Angela making the subject of that email “Hello”

CRUSTY MINGE
Mar 30, 2011

Peggy Hill
Foot Connoisseur
I hope Masuka settled down with a nice BDSM dominatrix. Dude would have to be around 50, he just needs some regular strange.

His laugh is great.

Devorum
Jul 30, 2005

Senor Tron posted:

Even if they couldn't pin anything else on him, taking Deb from the hospital and dropping her in the ocean would get him some attention.

Easily a mental health excuse for that. In recent memory, his wife had been murdered by a serial killer, he's been stalked by Colin Hanks, his captain was shot by a criminal, his therapist had been murdered, and he'd been forced to defend himself when a serial killer attacked him in custody. Now his sister is dying, and it's all just too much so he takes her body into the storm so they can die together.

He didn't intend on surviving, but when he did he was still in a spiral and decided it was in everyone's best interest that he remain "dead".

He's an upstanding white dude, doubtful he'd get anything at all.

Yeah, sure, the DA could hold him...but if Dexter lawyered up he'd be out in no time once the lawyer realized how flimsy the Caldwell stuff was.

At the end of the day, it doesn't really matter anymore than the Ketamine/M-99 does. It's just kind of lazy, but also very Dexter.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius
Wish there could have been a second season where every episode is Angela accusing another person of killing Matt. Season finale: Angel Batista, you're under arrest for the murder of Matt Caldwell. You think it's just a coincidence that you show up in New York City to teach a seminar and then drop a bunch of obvious clues that my boyfriend is a a missing co-worker of yours?

R. Guyovich
Dec 25, 1991

i think with one or two extra episodes they could have let this stuff breathe and not crammed all the big moments into the last two of a 10-episode season. the previous seasons all had 12 so i'm not sure why showtime didn't order that many this time

CODChimera
Jan 29, 2009

PostNouveau posted:

I was disappointed how much the ghost antics got toned down in the back half of the season. There was a woodchipper moment per episode in the front half.

yeah they really shouldve played up that element more so because it was fresh and actually funny

CODChimera
Jan 29, 2009

everything should've happened way sooner than it did. like reveal kurt as the killer and have dexter and him outmaneuver each other way earlier

amigolupus
Aug 25, 2017

I feel like this ending is poo poo. While the writers gave people what they wanted (Dexter finally loving dies) they did it in the most Dexter way possible. By having Harrison kill him, he just vacates any responsibility and pushes all the pain onto his kid. Even when dead, Dexter still gets what he wants and it leaves a terrible taste in the mouth.

Harrison should've shot Dexter in the kneecaps and told him he's not playing his game, that Dexter will go to prison and face justice for all he's done. Maybe have the last shot be of Dexter in solitary confinement looking miserable so it'd feel cathartic.

Zenithe
Feb 25, 2013

Ask not to whom the Anidavatar belongs; it belongs to thee.

CRUSTY MINGE posted:

I hope Masuka settled down with a nice BDSM dominatrix. Dude would have to be around 50, he just needs some regular strange.

His laugh is great.

Current headcanon: he married his tattoo artist.

Blackchamber
Jan 25, 2005

I was hoping Harrison was planning on killing Dexter because he was planning on taking him away from Iron Lake. He was a hero for stopping a school shooting, he had friends and a girlfriend, and it was a lot better than his time being a hitchhiker/drifter. He gets another hit of fame for stopping his serial killer dad and then as he gets older he becomes a serial killer based in that small town.

I was also hoping that when Angela got to the underground bunker where Kurt hid the bodies that it would be empty because the rich guy they didnt really do much with was partners with Kurt and did some of the kills and when he hadn't heard from him decided to cover tracks. Angela goes down there sees nothing and figures this was all just a way to get her away from the station so Dexter could kill Logan and get away.

Nep-Nep
May 15, 2004

Just one more thing!
The rich guy wasn't a red herring but they're saving the meaning for a season two reveal that it wasn't him creeping on Audrey but her intentionally drawing his attention as part of his plan to kill him, because she's a serial killer who only kills billionaires. That's why he disappeared after that scene.

I don't understand why there were so many pointless Audrey scenes, including the final episode having a scene where Angela tells her "we'll talk tomorrow and that's just it.

Nep-Nep fucked around with this message at 10:33 on Jan 11, 2022

ClydeFrog
Apr 13, 2007

my body is a temple to an idiot god
I liked the way they showed Dexter look at the knives when Angela was arresting him. He was totally going to kill her if it meant getting away.

And thank gently caress she had arranged for help to be there instead of some stupid standoff where she gets overpowered. A rare sensible decision written for her. The actress is good, just playing a not-really-good-at-this cop.

DaveKap
Feb 5, 2006

Pickle: Inspected.

SpaceAceJase posted:

They couldn't even commit to showing the bullet hitting Dexter, having a cutaway with a gunshot sound before he falls to the ground. At least show us some squibs
It's actually worse than that. The blood on his jacket was likely CG. Tons of high quality shows are, for some reason, doing this really awful thing where they render bullet wounds and blood as CG so they don't have to ruin a shirt or clean up a set. It's really disappointing. Squibs as CG I'm actually a bit more OK with as even cheap particle effects look fine nowadays and squibs have always been some level of dangerous and there's likely some poo poo in Union contracts forcing hazard pay for dealing with them.

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

If only all of life's problems could be solved by smoking a professor of ancient evil texts.

Bread Liar

ClydeFrog posted:

I liked the way they showed Dexter look at the knives when Angela was arresting him. He was totally going to kill her if it meant getting away.

When Angela pulled the gun on him, he totally would have killed her without hesitating and run off to Harrison with the same bullshit story he had about killing Sgt Logan, the coach cop. Honestly, I think it would have worked out better if he had. We just cut out all the extra poo poo at the station and finding the bodies. Save 20 minutes of runtime and spend it somewhere it might have done some good - showing just how unhinged Dexter was.

So:

Dexter kills Angela with a knife at her house because her backup arrived too late > Dexter calls Harrison to meet him where the deer was killed because they've been found out > Harrison finds out Dexter just murdered Angela > Harrison kills Dexter > coach cop arrives and covers up for Harrison > cut to one year in the future where Harrison lives with coach cop as his adoptive father and is finally happy.

Have Dexter go past the point of no return without ever knowing how tissue thin the case was against him as a final gently caress you to a monster.

EDIT: Yes, I meant Angela, not Audrey, lol. Changed in text, but let this edit stand to show my shame.

Megillah Gorilla fucked around with this message at 14:39 on Jan 11, 2022

ClydeFrog
Apr 13, 2007

my body is a temple to an idiot god
Do you mean Angela?

But yes - I way prefer that version with Harrison getting a good ending. He got done dirty.

Irony Be My Shield
Jul 29, 2012

That sounds stupid, Dexter didn't know he was in trouble until Angela mentioned Batista was coming over.

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

If only all of life's problems could be solved by smoking a professor of ancient evil texts.

Bread Liar
Actually, I'd say he knew he was in trouble when Angela pointed a gun at his head and told him to get on his knees.

He was 100% about to kill her with a knife from the wooden block next to him until the other cop came in.

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

No, seriously... what kurds?!
The very least they could have done was putting a scene in with Batista arriving at Iron Lake, in disbelief of the disarray he just arrived to.

codo27
Apr 21, 2008

Megillah Gorilla posted:

He was 100% about to kill her with a knife from the wooden block next to him until the other cop came in.

Funny thing about this is how slowly he began to reach for the knife before Logan popped in. I mean that would have been almost as implausible as the pitchfork from S6? 7?

Devorum
Jul 30, 2005

I'm sad we won't get to see the christening of the Coach Logan Memorial Incinerator.

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

Bread Liar

Combat Pretzel posted:

The very least they could have done was putting a scene in with Batista arriving at Iron Lake, in disbelief of the disarray he just arrived to.

A perfect capstone to his character, lol

Nail Rat
Dec 29, 2000
Probation
Can't post for 5 hours!

CRUSTY MINGE posted:

Likely some statute of limitations thing. Attention, sure. Charges, meh, probably not.

There's no statute of limitations in the US on either murder or manslaughter (if he could somehow plea that it wasn't murder). Yeah she was vegetative but I don't think you can just do what he did you need to ask the doctors to remove life support. Which, as next of kin he likely had every right to do. Of course dumping her in the ocean to rot and driving into a hurricane was more dramatic and he's all about himself.

roomtone
Jul 1, 2021

by Fluffdaddy
how'd deb end up in a vegetative state anyway?

Nep-Nep
May 15, 2004

Just one more thing!
Days after finding out Dexter was the BHB Quinn and Angel rewatch the video footage of Dexter killing Saxon and are just like "wow we're loving stupid"

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer

roomtone posted:

how'd deb end up in a vegetative state anyway?

Dexter captures Oliver Saxton, ties him up, and delivers him to Deb so she can get the collar while he escapes to Argentina.

Then Dexter and Deb go outside and have a long goodbye scene, leaving Saxton alone. Saxton gets free. I don't remember how he gets a gun, but he does, and he shoots her.

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer

Nep-Nep posted:

I don't understand why there were so many pointless Audrey scenes, including the final episode having a scene where Angela tells her "we'll talk tomorrow and that's just it.

She never nunchucked anyone :negative:

CRUSTY MINGE
Mar 30, 2011

Peggy Hill
Foot Connoisseur
I'm rewatching season 5 right now and I forgot what a loving mess the entire season is, mostly because of Julia Stiles' character.

"We have time, patrol can't move until homicide is here."

*Hastily prepares scene for Masuka to act out and explain bondage*

Astro7x
Aug 4, 2004
Thinks It's All Real

Megillah Gorilla posted:

Actually, I'd say he knew he was in trouble when Angela pointed a gun at his head and told him to get on his knees.

Irony Be My Shield posted:

That sounds stupid, Dexter didn't know he was in trouble until Angela mentioned Batista was coming over.

Yeah... I think the look at the knife block was foreshadowing that he was willing to murder someone innocent to run.

Dexter definitely thought he could talk his way out of it, but the moment Angela mentioned the BHB case and Batista his attitude shifted to running. The next thing he said was to shut down the camera and gave Angela a lead that he knew would get him alone with Logan.

codo27
Apr 21, 2008

PostNouveau posted:

Dexter captures Oliver Saxton, ties him up, and delivers him to Deb so she can get the collar while he escapes to Argentina.

Then Dexter and Deb go outside and have a long goodbye scene, leaving Saxton alone. Saxton gets free. I don't remember how he gets a gun, but he does, and he shoots her.

The main PI guy Deb works for is awful/forgettable enough, but there was another guy, I dont think a PI but maybe some kinda government investigator? that kept after Dexter and ended up in the room with Saxon who claimed he had been kidnapped and then upon being released, killed his savior for basically no reason except for the sake of the plot and getting the gun from him to kill Deb with

Diabolik900
Mar 28, 2007

codo27 posted:

The main PI guy Deb works for is awful/forgettable enough, but there was another guy, I dont think a PI but maybe some kinda government investigator? that kept after Dexter and ended up in the room with Saxon who claimed he had been kidnapped and then upon being released, killed his savior for basically no reason except for the sake of the plot and getting the gun from him to kill Deb with

He was a federal marshall, I believe, who was trying to track down Hannah and (correctly) suspected that Deb was hiding her.

thrawn527
Mar 27, 2004

Thrawn/Pellaeon
Studying the art of terrorists
To keep you safe

File me under the "We came back for this?" column. Better than seasons 5-8, but not really worth our time. And I agree, bringing back Angel this episode had me excited that he'd get to see justice done against Dexter. And then...loving nothing.

Like, that alone would have justified coming back. But nope, nothing. At least he (this fictional character) gets closure because he knows the truth now.

The Notorious ZSB
Apr 19, 2004

I SAID WE'RE NOT GONNA BE FUCKING SUCK THIS YEAR!!!

thrawn527 posted:

File me under the "We came back for this?" column. Better than seasons 5-8, but not really worth our time. And I agree, bringing back Angel this episode had me excited that he'd get to see justice done against Dexter. And then...loving nothing.

Like, that alone would have justified coming back. But nope, nothing. At least he (this fictional character) gets closure because he knows the truth now.

Angel doesn't know poo poo. Dexter as he dies on the ground has exactly one provable homicide to attach to him. Logan. That's it. They never had enough evidence in Miami to get him for being the BHB. So really all angel knows is his old buddy who apparently faked his death might have been the guy but he'll never really know for sure since ooops he's dead now and can't talk to it. They can assume based on his escape that clearly "SHE WAS RIGHT ABOUT IT ALL" which I guess is very Dexter, but it isn't actually closure proof of anything. Their suspicions are still just that when it comes to everything in Miami, and Matt is a real nothing burger of a case. It wouldn't get past a grand jury.

That's the hollow piece to it I guess the more I think about it. Dexter Morgan really still gets to be the guy in the obit more or less. He ran off for stressful reasons, freaked out tried to escape for suspicious reasons but nothing concrete, maybe accidentally killed a cop in that escape, and got shot by his ex lover. His legacy isn't really impacted at all in the long term. You can craft lots of narratives where he still isn't the bad guy we all know he is. I think I'd agree now reading through the thread, that they rushed the emotional climax of the season into the last 5 minutes when it probably needed more space to land fully.

Outside looking in without viewer knowledge, Jim Lindsay had a bad day, maybe got worked up with the cop at the station and in an accident hurt him then freaked out and ran, and his ex gf took it out on him cause she didn't want to hear it after he showed her up for being a poo poo cop.

The Notorious ZSB fucked around with this message at 20:57 on Jan 11, 2022

thrawn527
Mar 27, 2004

Thrawn/Pellaeon
Studying the art of terrorists
To keep you safe

The Notorious ZSB posted:

Angel doesn't know poo poo. Dexter as he dies on the ground has exactly one provable homicide to attach to him. Logan. That's it. They never had enough evidence in Miami to get him for being the BHB. So really all angel knows is his old buddy who apparently faked his death might have been the guy but he'll never really know for sure since ooops he's dead now and can't talk to it. They can assume based on his escape that clearly "SHE WAS RIGHT ABOUT IT ALL" which I guess is very Dexter, but it isn't actually closure proof of anything. Their suspicions are still just that when it comes to everything in Miami.

That's the hollow piece to it I guess the more I think about it. Dexter Morgan really still gets to be the guy in the obit more or less. He ran off for stressful reasons, freaked out tried to escape and got shot by his ex lover. His legacy isn't really impacted at all in the long term. You can craft lots of narratives where he still isn't the bad guy we all know he is. I think I'd agree now reading through the thread, that they rushed the emotional climax of the season into the last 5 minutes when it probably needed more space to land fully.

When I said Angel gets "closure because he knows the truth now", I meant that he knew Laguerta thought it was Dexter, but Dexter died, and there was no real reason evidence to believe it Dexter beyond a suspicion. But now? Dexter faked his own death. That's the spark that will {hopefully} light the fire. And Angel has a file on Laguerta in his top drawer. He's not letting this go. With a renewed vigor, and new evidence from his new Sheriff friend, I think he'll piece it together.

Yes, I'm hoping and adding things onto a rushed finale that left me cold. Like I said, I didn't like it.

God Hole
Mar 2, 2016

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK posted:

"Maybe I killed Matt Caldwell?" - Angela, looking extremely confused and worried.

lol

DaveKap
Feb 5, 2006

Pickle: Inspected.

Khanstant posted:

Dodged my bible request, cowerd!!
I completely forgot to explain something to you.

Massive effort-posts about entertainment are something I only do for pieces that reach peak artform and, if applicable, betrayed itself and the viewer. Something that was so incredibly good as to create "best scene/episode/film of all time" caliber statement from me will get an effort-post if I feel a beautiful piece of art was made... and then will get the same kind of post if said entertainment stoops to absolute bullshit, fails to deliver on a promise, and rests calmly in the lap of lazy writing, directing, and/or bad taste. This was primarily what happened with Mr. Robot and Legion... and I can't remember if I've ever put as much energy into anything else but wouldn't mind a reminder. I may have done some effort posting over in the Trek thread but that's only because Trek as a whole has been really good and where it is now is really bad (but also really good, thanks to Lower Decks.)

Notice how the most effort I put into a Dexter post came from the penultimate episode of this season, an episode that, to me, goes down as one of the best in the entire series. And most of that was just guessing at the finale. But really Dexter deserves it for hooking me into these threads for 8 years straight despite being over 50% bad. Truly, it's one of the greats just for being guilty pleasure television. I'm unsure what other shows I've watched that could be as high up on such a list.

DaveKap fucked around with this message at 21:45 on Jan 11, 2022

Astro7x
Aug 4, 2004
Thinks It's All Real

The Notorious ZSB posted:

Angel doesn't know poo poo. Dexter as he dies on the ground has exactly one provable homicide to attach to him. Logan. That's it. They never had enough evidence in Miami to get him for being the BHB. So really all angel knows is his old buddy who apparently faked his death might have been the guy but he'll never really know for sure since ooops he's dead now and can't talk to it. They can assume based on his escape that clearly "SHE WAS RIGHT ABOUT IT ALL" which I guess is very Dexter, but it isn't actually closure proof of anything. Their suspicions are still just that when it comes to everything in Miami, and Matt is a real nothing burger of a case. It wouldn't get past a grand jury.

That's the hollow piece to it I guess the more I think about it. Dexter Morgan really still gets to be the guy in the obit more or less. He ran off for stressful reasons, freaked out tried to escape for suspicious reasons but nothing concrete, maybe accidentally killed a cop in that escape, and got shot by his ex lover. His legacy isn't really impacted at all in the long term. You can craft lots of narratives where he still isn't the bad guy we all know he is. I think I'd agree now reading through the thread, that they rushed the emotional climax of the season into the last 5 minutes when it probably needed more space to land fully.

Outside looking in without viewer knowledge, Jim Lindsay had a bad day, maybe got worked up with the cop at the station and in an accident hurt him then freaked out and ran, and his ex gf took it out on him cause she didn't want to hear it after he showed her up for being a poo poo cop.

If Dexter didn't think he was hosed for being the Bay Harbor Butcher, he wouldn't have told Harrison "They're going to give me the death penalty." Angela pointed out minutes prior that he was going to be extradited to Miami where there is the death penalty, and then Dexter says "I am going to get the death penalty." There is no death penalty in New York for the murder of Logan or Matt.

How much more clear does this need to be? I guess he should have said "They're going to give me the death penalty for being the Bay Harbor Butcher", or is that too cringe worthy and shows that they think the audience is dumb?

The outside world was not viewing this as "Jim Lindsay" having a bad day. He was brought in and processed as Dexter Morgan. All that poo poo is going to unravel. And to be fair, he now has at least two provable homicides attached to him because he took Debra into that hurricane to die as a vegetable.

You can fan fiction all you want about "oh, he would have gotten away with it in a trial, there is no evidence, the DA wouldn't have pressed charges." Whatever. If the character that did all the murdering goes "They're going to give me the death penalty for all the murdering I did", that's his fate. And you sort of have to take the show at face value, because it's a stupid show about a serial killer and the hook of the past 9 seasons is "Will Dexter Get Caught?" and he got finally got caught. And yeah, you don't want him to get caught because that's the end of the show and you want more of it, but that's what happened.

I agree that it was rushed. They wanted to wanted to give us everything all in one episode. Dexter dead, Dexter in jail, and Dexter revealed as the Bay Harbor Butcher. But I don't know... I watch Dexter for the drama and campiness of it all, not to be a police procedural show with excellent writing.

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK
Sep 11, 2001

Astro7x posted:

If Dexter didn't think he was hosed for being the Bay Harbor Butcher, he wouldn't have told Harrison "They're going to give me the death penalty." Angela pointed out minutes prior that he was going to be extradited to Miami where there is the death penalty, and then Dexter says "I am going to get the death penalty." There is no death penalty in New York for the murder of Logan or Matt.

I thought he said that to Harrison in the final scene, after he murdered Logan. I am 100% willing to assume some writer hosed it up.

e: vvv To be clear, I meant a writer hosed it up as in "They are going to give me the death penalty for killing Logan."

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK fucked around with this message at 23:32 on Jan 11, 2022

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Astro7x
Aug 4, 2004
Thinks It's All Real

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK posted:

I thought he said that to Harrison in the final scene, after he murdered Logan. I am 100% willing to assume some writer hosed it up.

But the death penalty wouldn't apply to Logan, who was murdered in NY where there is no death penalty, which Angela just pointed out.

Dexter is clearly concerned about the BHB accusation because he decided to flee the moment that Angela brings it up. Not talk his way out of it.