Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Microcline
Jul 27, 2012

Movement abilities requiring menuing has been a problem since the original Zelda, so I can't blame Unsighted too much, even if I have to admit that it's been a solved problem since the original Metroid.

I don't remember ever having to repeat content due to failing execution, and I'd remember as CrossCode annoyed the hell out of me for doing it. The only thing that felt close to wasting my time was the slow speed of the mech in the factory, but overall it seems to take about 7.5 hours for most people, which is about the same as Super Metroid (and about half the length of the average 2D Zelda).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Morpheus
Apr 18, 2008

My favourite little monsters
Is Unsighted designed to be played repeatedly, or does it feel like a full game once you play through it the first time?

Because that time thing stresses me out, but if it's designed for it to run out a few times as you make your choices through multiple (relatively quick) playthroughs, I'd be more inclined to check it out.

(I know you can mitigate/turn it off, but I don't like doing that since it feels like taking a chunk out of the game's purpose)

Horn
Jun 18, 2004

Penetration is the key to success
College Slice
I played through it once and felt it was a great self contained story. It's not like Nier where you have to do a B path that is a 50% retread of what you've already seen but there is some value in replaying through the story to see how the world changes in response to your actions.

lih
May 15, 2013

Just a friendly reminder of what it looks like.

We'll do punctuation later.

Morpheus posted:

Is Unsighted designed to be played repeatedly, or does it feel like a full game once you play through it the first time?

Because that time thing stresses me out, but if it's designed for it to run out a few times as you make your choices through multiple (relatively quick) playthroughs, I'd be more inclined to check it out.

(I know you can mitigate/turn it off, but I don't like doing that since it feels like taking a chunk out of the game's purpose)
it is designed to be played repeatedly but it's a full game on the first playthrough. the extent of 'choice' in the game is that the player character & every important NPC has their own in-game time lifespan, and there is a resource you acquire in game that you can use to extend the lifespan of yourself or NPCs. this does not really effect the storyline beyond the ending mentioning characters who died etc., it's more about the gameplay effects of losing access to vendors. there is also a slightly obscure true ending where no one dies that is not related to going fast enough.

it's designed so that you can sequence break on playthroughs beyond the first (with the knowledge you get from the first playthrough), giving you a further advantage (beyond just familiarity) in being able to complete the game more quickly on those subsequent playthroughs. that's all.

seriously though, just turn off the timer though if the idea stresses you out. i think what they did with it is interesting but far from so essential to the game that anyone who disables it is missing out or anything like that.

Play
Apr 25, 2006

Strong stroll for a mangy stray
I've been gone for two weeks and pretty much no new games have been posted, lol.

Don't get me wrong, I agree it's all poo poo right now. No one wants to release a game in this part of the year

There are a couple I want to bring up though: Ratropolis full release (deckbuilder/city defense/RTS) and TEOCIDA (horror platformer from the people who brought you TAMASHII)

haldolium
Oct 22, 2016

Play posted:

There are a couple I want to bring up though: Ratropolis full release

I know covid years became a blur, but Ratropolis full release was in December 2020. I recommend reading up some reviews of this as it has some drawbacks people might not enjoy in the end, as its unique mixture of realtime TD, deck building and city building has some downsides in each. I quit rather early when I didn't enjoy the hectical gameplay with some QoL issues and RNG within this combination.

haldolium fucked around with this message at 13:55 on Jan 6, 2022

Play
Apr 25, 2006

haldolium posted:

I know covid years became a blur, but Ratropolis full release was in December 2020. I recommend reading up some reviews of this as it has some drawbacks people might not enjoy in the end, as its unique mixture of realtime TD, deck building and city building has some downsides in each. I quit rather early when I didn't enjoy the hectical gameplay with some QoL issues and RNG within this combination.

Oh I thought that was early access or some other early version. My bad. A new version must've just come out.

I enjoyed the game for about 45 minutes then never played it again. It's alright but doesn't quite come together. I'd like to see the idea explored more though because it's pretty fun.

Comrayn
Jul 22, 2008
Arena of Kings came out last month and its pretty much World of Warcraft arenas without the stupid gear grind and long wait between matches. Oh, and graphics that look like Diablo 2.

https://store.steampowered.com/app/1686820/Arena_of_Kings/

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dElLlQXJK68

If you ever had fun in WoW pvp it's worth downloading and messing around in since its f2p. A lot if not all the ten classes are straight rips of WoW classes so you've got your mage, warrior, rogue, priest, resto druid etc. You have eight spells (plus basic attack) and the classes have something like 15 spells to pick from to make your build. The main downside is that the people who play serious WoW pvp are some of the biggest psychos online and they also play this, although this can be a huge plus when you beat them.

There's supposed to be a big patch coming this weekend to add the remaining features like ranked ladder to the game. It's actually very weird that they "launched" instead of slapping the early access label on it. Games don't really do that any more.

Play
Apr 25, 2006

https://store.steampowered.com/app/1516750/Alien_Marauder/

https://cdn.cloudflare.steamstatic.com/steam/apps/256867933/movie480_vp9.webm?t=1641541247

Alien Marauder is a clearly Starcraft-inspired survival RTS with a focus on fortifications. Early Access

quote:

“Alien Marauder” is a real-time strategy game with survival and confrontation theme. In this game, you will be the leader to a treacherous alien planet, build and defend base to survive against the vexan waves. Make the right decision!

https://store.steampowered.com/app/1394810/Colossus_Down/

https://cdn.cloudflare.steamstatic.com/steam/apps/256835279/movie480_vp9.webm?t=1621416566

Colossus Down is an action adventure beat em up kind of game with basic but appealing art and a good amount of wackiness

quote:

Join forces with Nika, MechaNika, Agatha and the Great Bleeding Pig in this peculiar and crazy mission of destruction of everything that isn't cool.

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

You cheated not only the game, but yourself.
But most of all, you cheated BABA

https://store.steampowered.com/app/1794680/Vampire_Survivors/

Early access, CHEAP, it's really really fun

quote:

Mow thousands of night creatures and survive until dawn! Vampire Survivors is a gothic horror casual game with rogue-lite elements, where your choices can allow you to quickly snowball against the hundreds of monsters that get thrown at you.

Dackel
Sep 11, 2014

Hard recommend from me, very fun yet very simple. $3!

Oenis
Mar 15, 2012

I'm completely addicted and haven't done anything else all evening. +1 to the recommendations.

I'm partial to garlic + bible as far as must have items go.

Oenis fucked around with this message at 22:02 on Jan 8, 2022

Broken Cog
Dec 29, 2009

We're all friends here

This is a very fun little timewaster, though there seems to be only 2 maps so far. Got to 30min on the second map, and some reaper flew in from offscreen and instakilled me. Good find!

aparmenideanmonad
Jan 28, 2004
Balls to you and your way of mortal opinions - you don't exist anyway!
Fun Shoe
This game is great. If it had co-op multiplayer it would be epic.

Dackel
Sep 11, 2014

Broken Cog posted:

This is a very fun little timewaster, though there seems to be only 2 maps so far. Got to 30min on the second map, and some reaper flew in from offscreen and instakilled me. Good find!

Not sure if it's possible to beat him, but you can permafreeze him with the clock weapon (although i missed hitting him once and immediately got hugged to death)

B33rChiller
Aug 18, 2011

Garlic, bible and lotsa whipping for the second level for sure

FIX SIGNS
Aug 29, 2006

You're fucking great,
just do what you can.
Copying my post from the Steam thread because I'm a dummy who didn't notice this thread existed. :kiddo:

I'm currently hopelessly addicted to Motor Town: Behind The Wheel

At it's core, It's a delivery simulator. You start out with a couple bucks and and can rent or borrow (with the owner taking a cut of your collected fees) various trucks, taxis, buses. etc.
Earn enough to buy your own vehicles so you can do away with giving someone else a cut, as well as being able to do various upgrades.

There are also various street cars you can buy, upgrade and race.

It has a pleasant low-poly look and the (single) dev is incredibly active in the Steam discussions and well as the game's own discord channel.

It's super chill and just about the perfect podcast game.
Recommended if you dig this sort of thing.

https://store.steampowered.com/app/1369670/Motor_Town_Behind_The_Wheel/

baby puzzle
Jun 3, 2011

I'll Sequence your Storm.
I am playing The Godkiller, which is a fantastic puzzle game with very unique mechanics. It is made by the creator of DROD and a lot of that charm is there but super refined and polished. It has a lot of great voice acting and original music and songs.

https://store.steampowered.com/app/1449570/The_Godkiller__Chapter_1/

Rocket Baby Dolls
Mar 3, 2006

Underneath he has a velvet, yummy tummy you wish you could just stroke and squish all day! Ahh! But on top... On top it's a whole different story... On top he is a scary stiff stabber!
https://store.steampowered.com/app/1574580/Strange_Horticulture/

Strange Horticulture

quote:

Strange Horticulture is an occult puzzle game in which you play as the proprietor of a local plant store. Find and identify new plants, pet your cat, speak to a coven, or join a cult. Use your collection of powerful plants to influence the story and unravel Undermere’s dark mysteries.

There is a demo of the first couple of days, the full game should be released in the next two or three months. The demo was enjoyable and this type of game is right up my alley.

Prophet of Nixon
May 7, 2007

Thou art not a crook!

Dackel posted:

Not sure if it's possible to beat him, but you can permafreeze him with the clock weapon (although i missed hitting him once and immediately got hugged to death)

What do the drops that look like hearts do?

moonmazed
Dec 27, 2021

by VideoGames

this game is destroying my life thank you so much

chglcu
May 17, 2007

I'm so bored with the USA.
Every screenshot I see of that vampire game stresses me out. Looks like the most unchill thing ever.

tildes
Nov 16, 2018

chglcu posted:

Every screenshot I see of that vampire game stresses me out. Looks like the most unchill thing ever.

everything is moving pretty slowly tho, so it is less bad than it looks

Oldstench
Jun 29, 2007

Let's talk about where you're going.

So, it's like a retro-er Deathstate without the polish?

Prophet of Nixon
May 7, 2007

Thou art not a crook!

Prophet of Nixon posted:

What do the drops that look like hearts do?

Nevermind, they're a 10 gold pickup.

This is awesome so far! Got my first run to Death a few minutes ago but he got me.

Dick Trauma
Nov 30, 2007

God damn it, you've got to be kind.

One Man Crowd posted:

Copying my post from the Steam thread because I'm a dummy who didn't notice this thread existed. :kiddo:

I'm currently hopelessly addicted to Motor Town: Behind The Wheel

https://store.steampowered.com/app/1369670/Motor_Town_Behind_The_Wheel/

This looks cool. Going to have to give it a go!

moonmazed
Dec 27, 2021

by VideoGames

i know these guys are meant to be ghosts but all i can see is a mr handy wearing a long skirt

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

It's okay if you have any questions.

Buck Up And Drive!

quote:

Where are we going? As individuals... as a species... what awaits us at the end of this road? Is there an end? Was there an beginning? Does this road symbolize real life in the sense that there's no turning back? And how does pineapple juice fit into all this? Maybe I should just shut up, Buck Up And Drive!
https://cdn.cloudflare.steamstatic.com/steam/apps/256863268/movie480_vp9.webm

Play
Apr 25, 2006

Nice find that looks sick lol

treat
Jul 24, 2008

by the sex ghost

Oldstench posted:

So, it's like a retro-er Deathstate without the polish?

I don't know what Deathstate is but I'm gonna say this vampire poo poo is easily the better game based on how I bought it yesterday morning then spent 54% of my workday getting no actual work done. It fires those idle game synapses as you rapidly grow into a powerhouse and it feels real satisfying when you're carving through clouds of monsters like butter and sucking up gems like a shopvac.

Oldstench
Jun 29, 2007

Let's talk about where you're going.

treat posted:

I don't know what Deathstate is but I'm gonna say this vampire poo poo is easily the better game based on how I bought it yesterday morning then spent 54% of my workday getting no actual work done. It fires those idle game synapses as you rapidly grow into a powerhouse and it feels real satisfying when you're carving through clouds of monsters like butter and sucking up gems like a shopvac.

Deathstate is good and IIRC goon-made.

treat
Jul 24, 2008

by the sex ghost
Oh, nah vampire game is a very different sort of thing. it's not a bullet hell action game, unless you wanna count yourself being the hell of bullets as that. it feels like devil daggers as a tower defense game, and with only one tower. it's less about action and more about standing still while watching thousands of monsters pop like balloons and orgasming as number goes up. probably good for people who also like loop hero

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

You cheated not only the game, but yourself.
But most of all, you cheated BABA

They're similar in that they're both very very good, and both feature characters that auto-aim attacks so all you have to focus on is dodging.

Burgundious
May 28, 2013

Rocket Baby Dolls posted:

Strange Horticulture

There is a demo of the first couple of days, the full game should be released in the next two or three months. The demo was enjoyable and this type of game is right up my alley.

Thanks for bringing this up! Tested out the demo and was hooked. They announced that the release is on the 21st this month but no price yet.

Good Citizen
Aug 12, 2008

trump trump trump trump trump trump trump trump trump trump

moonmazed posted:

i know these guys are meant to be ghosts but all i can see is a mr handy wearing a long skirt

Also you can’t convince me that garlic isn’t a scrote

fast cars loose anus
Mar 2, 2007

Pillbug

Rocket Baby Dolls posted:

Strange Horticulture

The demo of this is really good. Seems a little more fleshed out than the potion craft game I tried a while back

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

This particularly rapid💨 unintelligible 😖patter💁 isn't generally heard🧏‍♂️, and if it is🤔, it doesn't matter💁.

fast cars loose anus posted:

The demo of this is really good. Seems a little more fleshed out than the potion craft game I tried a while back
Yes, Potion Craft gets pretty grindy pretty fast.

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

Burgundious posted:

Thanks for bringing this up! Tested out the demo and was hooked. They announced that the release is on the 21st this month but no price yet.
hell yea

honestly the cross-referencing and identifying the plants gives the game a deductive feel like obra dinn or rivals, but instead of figuring out who a corpse is, you have to figure out which of your many unlabeled plants can unlock a door

Oenis
Mar 15, 2012

The 7th Guest posted:

hell yea

honestly the cross-referencing and identifying the plants gives the game a deductive feel like obra dinn or rivals, but instead of figuring out who a corpse is, you have to figure out which of your many unlabeled plants can unlock a door

now hold up what is this rivals game you bring up in the same breath as obra dinn?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

Oenis posted:

now hold up what is this rivals game you bring up in the same breath as obra dinn?
this one guy makes a bunch of deductive games like rivals, family, echo beach: https://tim-sheinman.itch.io/

they're not on the same level of obra dinn but they're neat, short little games. lucas pope himself likes them

there's also The Case of the Golden Idol later this year, an obra dinn-like with funky european 80s EGA graphics that has a demo https://store.steampowered.com/app/1677770/The_Case_of_the_Golden_Idol/