Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Grey Fox
Jan 5, 2004

Zisky posted:

Where the gently caress am I supposed to get SecureClick cartridges that don't cost $25/pair?
does your mask support filters too, or just cartridges? I got some P100 SecureClick filters from Zoro.com for about $9 a pair just now

https://www.zoro.com/3m-filter-magenta-push-to-connect-pr-d3091/i/G5774737/

edit: no joke, he is stubborn as poo poo about a million other things but he has been taking COVID super seriously like 95% of the time and it's made things about a million times easier compared to some of the family horror stories shared in this thread alone

Grey Fox fucked around with this message at 06:09 on Jan 11, 2022

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RedQueen
Apr 21, 2007

It takes all the running you can do just to stay in the same place.

mistermojo posted:

its cool that theres a bunch of people tabulating presumably the same data and coming up with wildly different numbers every day. but the BNO guy always has the highest so I guess thats the most accurate

NYT posted 1.4 milli too

sullat
Jan 9, 2012

Spergin Morlock posted:

the funny thing about Obergefell is that Obama didn't really even do anything. the court did

Nocturtle
Mar 17, 2007

The major New York City universities were previously planning to be online for just the first two weeks of the semester before resuming in-person classes. Wonder if those are going to be revised now lol.

Only hear about it indirectly but my impression of these private universities is they have just huge offices of admins that do very little and not very well, but some subset of them have apparently been tasked with churning out bad reopening plans. Usually all for harmless make work in the absence of UBI, but not like that!

Barry Soteriology
Mar 1, 2020

lobotomy molo
May 7, 2007

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Captain Magic posted:

LOL if yet another GRRM project is inevitably delayed just lmao

wildcards.jpg
that absolute fucker

Uglycat
Dec 4, 2000
MORE INDISPUTABLE PROOF I AM BAD AT POSTING
---------------->

poisonpill posted:

n95 ok for quick trips to get groceries? or do you guys go full power armor for that too

I prefer my 6000 series with the mastervlad mod, for maximal disquiet and chuckles but yeah n95 is fine if you're richie-rich

Rip Testes
Jan 29, 2004

I never forget a face, but in your case I'll be glad to make an exception.

Whats the deal between BNO and Worldometers because Worldometers reports half the cases of BNO.

Strep Vote
May 5, 2004

أنا أحب حليب الشوكولاتة

poisonpill posted:

n95 ok for quick trips to get groceries? or do you guys go full power armor for that too

Always power armor. Always.

Solarin
Nov 15, 2007

please open a new thread this one has become severely mild

Asproigerosis
Mar 13, 2013

insufferable
Wtf is an air fryer it just looks like a really inefficient oven

Uglycat
Dec 4, 2000
---------------->

mistermojo posted:

but the BNO guy always has the highest so I guess thats the most complete

Fixed that for you

Sorry I'm posting so much I think it's a stress outlet.

I miss arguing about whether Jesus Christ was a historical figure.

Who could have foreseen.

Zantie
Mar 30, 2003

Death. The capricious dance of Now You Stop Moving Forever.

Ice Phisherman posted:

Hey covid thread. Haven't posted here for a while as I'm taking a mental health break. Read a couple pages and it looks about what I figured it would. And after this post I'm going to continue my break from the thread as constantly reading about covid gives me horrible anxiety and really isn't helpful as I'm about as locked down as I can be.

What I'm asking all of you to do is to check in with yourself and if you need to, to do some self-care. Make something tasty, smoke a bowl, watch a movie, read a book, whatever it takes. It's important to be basically informed but it's also important not to freak yourself out.

I myself have been writing my cyberpunk web novel here on the forums, playing vidjas on the Switch, enjoying the occasional edible, trying to cook and spending time with my girlfriend as we try to keep each other sane and healthy.

I know that poo poo is bad, but you do occasionally have to pull away from lmaoing into the abyss and do things that make you happy, or at least distracted.

I know that not all of you can because of life, but if you can at all, try to take care of yourselves.

This weekend I immediately stress-made a loaf of pumpkin bread after reading Fluffy Bunnies' story of picking up a curbside order at a tractor supply place and getting sneezed on in the face.

Well, I first sent the link to that post to my husband, then started making the bread while I heard him reacting to it from his office.

[Edited to add]:

My husband started writing Mask of the Plague Doctor two years before the pandemic began, and it was pure coincidence that it was published so soon after everything kicked off in 2020. For the past year he's been writing a new game about witch hunter generals and the English civil war. His brother's teased that it's going to signify our next crisis.

Zantie fucked around with this message at 07:36 on Jan 11, 2022

Fuck You And Diebold
Sep 15, 2004

by Athanatos
https://twitter.com/means_tv/status/1480207089708449794
:rolleyes:

Horseshoe theory
Mar 7, 2005

Rip Testes posted:

Whats the deal between BNO and Worldometers because Worldometers reports half the cases of BNO.

Pretty certain BNO includes backlogs in any given day's case load whereas Worldometers puts the backlogs into the actual dates that they should be attributed to.

Covok
May 27, 2013

Yet where is that woman now? Tell me, in what heave does she reside? None of them. Because no God bothered to listen or care. If that is what you think it means to be a God, then you and all your teachings are welcome to do as that poor women did. And vanish from these realms forever.
So, Supreme Court didn't suspend the vaccine mandate. Anti-vaxxers better hope they do it quickly because its in effect now.

kaxman
Jan 15, 2003

Rip Testes posted:

Worldo backfills the backlogs as they have done for like this entire time

Backfilling is deceptive but I guess you can make an argument about scientific accuracy or some irrelevant poo poo

In reality if you sit on your cases all weekend then gently caress you you posted a huge fuckoff number of cases all at once you don't get to be all oh actually those cases are days old so they shouldn't count for today's number

Grey Fox
Jan 5, 2004

Asproigerosis posted:

Wtf is an air fryer it just looks like a really inefficient oven
50/50 responses of "it's just a modified convection oven" and "you wouldn't understand if you didn't own one"

DR FRASIER KRANG
Feb 4, 2005

"Are you forgetting that just this afternoon I was punched in the face by a turtle now dead?
i wonder where all the nurses post

Feldegast42
Oct 29, 2011

COMMENCE THE RITE OF SHITPOSTING

Salt Fish posted:

NYT: "hey can we use your beach picture for an article"?

Hey, at least its confirmation that you gently caress and you gently caress hard

sullat
Jan 9, 2012

Salt Fish posted:

NYT: "hey can we use your beach picture for an article"?

It's because it's Mono lake

Pink Mist
Sep 28, 2021
Somehow I feel like dead parents are worse for kids’ mental health than a year of remote school

CODChimera
Jan 29, 2009

Pink Mist posted:

Somehow I feel like dead parents are worse for kids’ mental health than a year of remote school

depends on if they keep going to school after their parents die

Tekne
Feb 15, 2012

It's-a me, motherfucker

Pink Mist posted:

they plan to use covid orphans as conscripts in the climate wars

JamesKPolk
Apr 9, 2009

so ah

how good are the vaccines at:

a.) keeping you alive
b.) keeping you from scarred lungs
c.) keeping you out of the hospital
d.) preventing long covid

e.) was there ever a time when mass vaccination could have stopped the pandemic? people talk about "and then delta" "and then omicron" as if those aren't obvious but I mean did it even matter? maybe like april 2020 (when they didn't exist)?

"Vax good!" "Vax bad!" has been driving me insane recently (I'm in a mixed lib-chud workplace) and I realized I lost track of like knowing stuff about them (other than that they max my titers for 3 months) because it just absolutely sucks to talk about. Do we have numbers for this stuff?

Zantie
Mar 30, 2003

Death. The capricious dance of Now You Stop Moving Forever.
Edit: double-post

Zantie fucked around with this message at 06:37 on Jan 11, 2022

Virgil Vox
Dec 8, 2009

CODChimera posted:

depends on if they keep going to school after their parents die

in my district they did, and they continued to not wear masks so idk anymore

McNugget Buddy
Aug 14, 2021

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Tekne posted:

they plan to use covid orphans as conscripts in the climate wars

Throwing orphans down wells to check for water depth

"Scream lasted 3 seconds, didn't hear a splash - moving on"

Paradoxish
Dec 19, 2003

Will you stop going crazy in there?

JamesKPolk posted:

e.) was there ever a time when mass vaccination could have stopped the pandemic? people talk about "and then delta" "and then omicron" as if those aren't obvious but I mean did it even matter? maybe like april 2020 (when they didn't exist)?

the vaccines aren't sterilizing so the only option has always been mass vaccination (as in, actually forcing everyone to get vaccinated) combined with much harsher lockdowns than we originally had, and probably for a longer period than just a few weeks

we might have had at a shot at it back in late 2020 when we were just starting the rollout. maybe.

Uglycat
Dec 4, 2000
---------------->

JamesKPolk posted:

so ah

how good are the vaccines at:

a.) keeping you alive
b.) keeping you from scarred lungs
c.) keeping you out of the hospital
d.) preventing long covid

"Vax good!" "Vax bad!" has been driving me insane recently (I'm in a mixed lib-chud workplace) and I realized I lost track of like knowing stuff about them (other than that they max my titers for 3 months) because it just absolutely sucks to talk about. Do we have numbers for this stuff?

If, as vaccine production spun up, we did a 21-day zero-contact economy (beginning with full shutdown, and relaxing from there while designing zero-contact solutions where work must occur), and the vax was deployed to 80-90% of the total population before reopening and sewers were tested and prompted further testing when they pop hot and crossing the border required quarantine and two negatives then yeah, vaccines would have allowed us to eliminate the virus.

Arguably, it's possible without the vaccine, but we're working with humans here, we need every inch we can get if we even decide to attempt such a strategy.

E: and then an active campaign of "vaccine diplomacy", racing russia and china to provide the greatest number of vaccines and distribute them the most widely.

Such an approach would have prevented the evolution of today's variants, as transmission would be so much slower, so the vaccine would continue to be useful every 3 months, and it could even be held in reserve and deployed only when sewage pops hot and contact tracing fails and community spread is confirmed (in conjunction with a brief seamless practiced transition to a zero-contact local economy).

Uglycat fucked around with this message at 06:34 on Jan 11, 2022

E Depois do Adeus
Jun 3, 2012

Nobody has better respect for intelligence than Donald Trump.

Ngl this brings me back to my first crack ping, before I knew what a crack ping was

PITY BONER
Oct 18, 2021

Man, I had those Crocs and they were comfortable as hell. RIP good shoes chewed on by a stray dog.

Are Omicron cases still expected to double every 3 days? What's the current estimate for its doubling?

Pink Mist
Sep 28, 2021

Virgil Vox posted:

in my district they did, and they continued to not wear masks so idk anymore

The damage had already been done. No point inconveniencing them after that. After all, they have natural immunity

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

poisonpill posted:

if the CDC is now reccomending n95 masks you should absolutely be wearing a p100 respirator when within one mile of other humans

Jizzny Princess
Aug 24, 2021

WHILE YOU WERE LEARNING TO SPELL YOUR NAME,
I WAS BEING TRAINED TO CONQUER GALAXIES
UwU
https://twitter.com/alexmeshkin/status/1480670239608262659

Then the CDC can claim its peaked! Nothing to see here guys.

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

WarEternal posted:

I'm so happy that I'll probably have to go back to restaurant work when my savings run out. I didn't even think I'd have to ask about vaxx policy but now that's in the back of my mind. Awesome. I really need a job that's loving anything else... I'd rather stand in traffic as a job than go back.

I'm in the same boat and am seriously considering an escape into the wood to live off acorns and squirrels rather than work in a restaurant. my chances of survival are slim........either way

hellfaucet
Apr 7, 2009

Pink Mist posted:

natural immunity

:frogdunce:

HiroProtagonist
May 7, 2007

Rutibex posted:

I'm in the same boat and am seriously considering an escape into the wood to live off acorns and squirrels rather than work in a restaurant. my chances of survival are slim........either way

Good news the squirrels will probably still be giving you COVID

Danger Slut
Sep 11, 2001

TheLemonOfIchabod posted:

this thread really does feel like the last small group of sane holdouts on the planet right now, and that is what really convinces me i am losing my mind

I’ve probably ruined my relationship with my wife’s parents, but then again they both got covid and I’ve kept my family covid-zero. The world is falling apart , we can only watch .

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

triple sulk
Sep 17, 2014

https://twitter.com/bnodesk/status/1480778192784965634?s=21