Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Lhet
Apr 2, 2008

bloop

Got this 9 month old doofus 2 days ago from our local greyhound rescue.

The rescue did a DNA test on his brother and: half greyhound, 11% GSD, the rest everything else from chihuahua to great dane. I work from home, and he's a bit of a nightmare during the daytime, but responds well to being called out for chewing on the wrong thing. We had guests over the last two nights for games/movies, and he did great with the first group, but growled and barked at one of the guests the second night - our theory is that he's smelling their cats. We had him give treats and he did better over the course, but still didn't exactly warm up.I think the plan is to try to invite all the friends over that have cats and have them give him lots of treats to hopefully desensitize him to new people with different smells - is this a good strategy?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sir Sidney Poitier
Aug 14, 2006

My favourite actor

My dog is a husky/Akita mix and of course leaves hair everywhere. My dog before him was a malamute/collie mix and of course we had the same problem.

I've got a Dyson v6 pet handheld thing and a Shark NV681UKT, both of which have rotating brushes. Both of them can pick up dog hair, but neither excel. They take multiple passes, their brushes clog up, and whilst more powerful, the Shark one isn't so easy to use on stairs.

What is the absolute best vacuum cleaner for picking up dog hair? I've seen things now have supposedly self-cleaning brushes that don't clog, but to what extent are these a gimmick? If there's one vacuum cleaner that does everything well then I don't mind spending a lot on it, because even though the two I've got are good it's still a lot of work.

Andoman
Nov 7, 2021

Mae hen wlad fy nhadau yn annwyl i mi

Lhet posted:

Got this 9 month old doofus 2 days ago from our local greyhound rescue.

The rescue did a DNA test on his brother and: half greyhound, 11% GSD, the rest everything else from chihuahua to great dane. I work from home, and he's a bit of a nightmare during the daytime, but responds well to being called out for chewing on the wrong thing. We had guests over the last two nights for games/movies, and he did great with the first group, but growled and barked at one of the guests the second night - our theory is that he's smelling their cats. We had him give treats and he did better over the course, but still didn't exactly warm up.I think the plan is to try to invite all the friends over that have cats and have them give him lots of treats to hopefully desensitize him to new people with different smells - is this a good strategy?

It’s a good strategy so long as you take it slow and don’t overwhelm your dog. If you can it would be best to do one friend at a time and let your dog slowly get used to each of them. I would not be surprised if the problem with the second group was he hadn’t recovered from the excitement/worry/stimulation from the first group.

Lhet
Apr 2, 2008

bloop

He's responsive to distractions/commands, but everything new is potentially a toy to him, it's so hard to keep eyes on him.
Had friends with a dog come over, and he was overall pretty good, lacks manners and kept on trying to goad the friend's dog into playing, but he responded well to the other dog growling back/snapping. They did both run around a lot, and I think dogwise he'll be good as long as we can give him a lot of socialization and have him meet other dogs that don't want to play.
Had the cat friends come over again and he did better but still not great and snapped once when one of them reached for a toy. Hopefully we can get past that.

Turds in magma
Sep 17, 2007
can i get a transform out of here?
What's the best source of training-sized treats(i.e. 1/4 inch cubed or smaller)? I like https://stewartpet.com/product/pro-treat-beef-liver/ but they're HUGE - I used to cut them up every morning but with a new baby I just don't have time. Can I just buy a 10 pound bag of freeze-dried and tiny something?

BAGS FLY AT NOON
Apr 6, 2011

A Soft Nylon Bag
I use Zeke’s Mini’s. They have them in a bunch of different proteins.

Instant Jellyfish
Jul 3, 2007

Actually not a fish.

When I’m feeling lazy and know I’m going to go through a ton of treats I just pick up a bag of mediocre cat kibble. Bonus, it doesn’t jam in my treat & train that I use for grooming/nail sessions.

HootTheOwl
May 13, 2012

Hootin and shootin
Does anyone know of like a change dispenser for tiny dog treats? I'm looking for something I can carry around and reward my food motivated dog like peed a button on a tube, a treat falls out like a pez.
Actually if they make doggy pez I can just use a pez dispenser.

Instant Jellyfish
Jul 3, 2007

Actually not a fish.

HootTheOwl posted:

Does anyone know of like a change dispenser for tiny dog treats? I'm looking for something I can carry around and reward my food motivated dog like peed a button on a tube, a treat falls out like a pez.

I just saw this mentioned recently on a dog group. I have no idea how well it works but you just jam a hot dog or cheese stick or something that shape in it and it pops out a slice when you click a button.

Lpzie
Nov 20, 2006

oh, this around my neck? emergency hotdog if i'm peckish

Andoman
Nov 7, 2021

Mae hen wlad fy nhadau yn annwyl i mi

HootTheOwl posted:

That is a genius idea. I reckon some of the puppy kibble would fit well inside a pez dispenser.

Son of Thunderbeast
Sep 21, 2002
I found Chop Chop licking a possum (live, terrified, playing dead) last night :lol: :barf:

Deceptive Thinker
Oct 5, 2005

I'll rip out your optics!

Turds in magma posted:

What's the best source of training-sized treats(i.e. 1/4 inch cubed or smaller)? I like https://stewartpet.com/product/pro-treat-beef-liver/ but they're HUGE - I used to cut them up every morning but with a new baby I just don't have time. Can I just buy a 10 pound bag of freeze-dried and tiny something?

We used to use PureBites or Acana freeze dried stuff but it just got too expensive and like half of the bag wound up just as dust]
Lately we just use boiled chicken and these: https://www.fullmoonpet.com/products/essentials-chicken-bites and she freaking loves these things (even I think they smell good - so they work great for "find it" style games), we get them at target and they're like little sliced salami sticks

HootTheOwl
May 13, 2012

Hootin and shootin

Andoman posted:

That is a genius idea. I reckon some of the puppy kibble would fit well inside a pez dispenser.

I don't think my dog would find kibble to be a treat. He's got open feeding now and only eats when he feels like it. But if it's kibble he doesn't get normally, maybe?

HootTheOwl
May 13, 2012

Hootin and shootin

Instant Jellyfish posted:

I just saw this mentioned recently on a dog group. I have no idea how well it works but you just jam a hot dog or cheese stick or something that shape in it and it pops out a slice when you click a button.

Huh, I wonder if there's a shelf-stable treat stick I can put in there. Don't really want half a hotdog sitting in my fridge.

Instant Jellyfish
Jul 3, 2007

Actually not a fish.

HootTheOwl posted:

Huh, I wonder if there's a shelf-stable treat stick I can put in there. Don't really want half a hotdog sitting in my fridge.

There are all sorts of dog meat rolls that are sort of like summer sausages out there that would probably work. Happy Howie's is the brand I know of but even something cheap like a pupperoni stick or a piece of beef jerky might work well.

Son of Thunderbeast
Sep 21, 2002
How do I get my idiot dog to stop pissing on his front left paw

E: here's a pic of the big dummy who needs his paw washed half the time after he goes out to potty

Son of Thunderbeast fucked around with this message at 02:41 on Jan 17, 2022

HootTheOwl
May 13, 2012

Hootin and shootin

Son of Thunderbeast posted:

How do I get my idiot dog to stop pissing on his front left paw

Make him lift and mark

Son of Thunderbeast
Sep 21, 2002

HootTheOwl posted:

Make him lift and mark

That's what he's doing! But he doesn't lift high enough and ends up angling to hit his paw instead

I'd rather he just squat

E: i want to be clear that he's not peeing so that the puddle reaches his paw. He's directly hitting it with the stream half the time and i have to wash it before going back in

AlexDeGruven
Jun 29, 2007

Watch me pull my dongle out of this tiny box

Jarvis went through a bit of that, which was pretty annoying because he's a floof (also an idiot). He got neutered before lifting developed, so that's actually pretty nice.

He stopped on his own, I guess he adjusted his stance automatically.

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

I spent four years making
Waves of Steel
Hell yes I'm going to turn my avatar into an ad for it.
Fun Shoe
Pavlov has a small hotspot on one of his forepaws. Poor dog :(

Another Bill
Sep 27, 2018

Born on the bayou
died in a cave
bbq and posting
is all I crave

This is my dog Ziggy, a 4 month old Aussie Shephard / ??? mix. He's a good boy, he asks to go out to use the bathroom, obeys simple commands and sleeps in his crate happily at night. I need a little advice though, he's being a bit rough on my kids.

Mouthing is normal I know, and we're working on training it out of him but he keeps getting overexcited and biting my 10 year old. I'm encouraging her to take a firmer stand with him and be involved in training more but I need him to knock it off. We've been walking away and ending playtime whenever it happens. Toys aren't distracting him the way I'd hoped and it's upsetting her. He isn't doing it to my 7 year old as much, she has a more assertive personality and the dog picks up on that. I think we're doing all the right things, positive reinforcement and giving him love, and we've only had him 2 weeks today. He was bonded to his brother before we took him in and I'm sure he grew up playing rough. The previous owner was also pretty intensely into 'dominance' training which is not a path I'm interested in at all.

I don't really want to do 'the grab him by the snout/scruff and scold' but I feel I've had to twice now to assert some control and protect my kid. I'm hoping maybe someone has some tips or just some encouragement.

e I know he's got 2 more months of teething probably, so this might continue for a little bit still.

E2 I feel I should also add that I took in an untrained 8 month old boxer and got him trained and in shape about 15 years ago. I'm not inexperienced with dogs just a bit rusty.

E3 I finally got my 10yr to take control using body language/firm voice when the dog got over excited and box him out of her bedroom by walking towards him followed by closing the door in his face. I was watching from a distance and his ears went down. This is a successful step i think!

Another Bill fucked around with this message at 19:53 on Jan 17, 2022

Instant Jellyfish
Jul 3, 2007

Actually not a fish.

This doesn't sound like teething, this sounds like a young rowdy puppy that is enjoying testing his boundaries. If your kid is having trouble setting boundaries with the pup then you are going to need to step in. It shouldn't be up to the child, especially if she's struggling. You might have to have him dragging a line around the house so you can remove him from the situation. I think you definitely have the right ideas though and it's only been 2 weeks. You'll get through it!

If toys aren't distracting him he might need something like a lickimat or a prepared frozen kong to chill out with in a crate or pen when he's getting too amped up and making poor choices.

Another Bill
Sep 27, 2018

Born on the bayou
died in a cave
bbq and posting
is all I crave

Thank you, just that little bit of reassurance makes me feel a lot better. I'm doing the right things. :)

hatty
Feb 28, 2011

Pork Pro
Hey everyone my dog has developed some neck arthritis and was wondering if anyone can suggest a harness for walks that puts less stress on her neck, I feel the one I have may be detrimental and maybe presses her spine too much if she pulls. Also are there any good exercises to help with this? Shes going to be on steroids for a bit but the good stuff that lasts months is being used in Covid treatments so weekly vet visits is the only choice for now, poor thing is going to have a heart attack going to the scary vet that often.

Instant Jellyfish
Jul 3, 2007

Actually not a fish.

hatty posted:

Hey everyone my dog has developed some neck arthritis and was wondering if anyone can suggest a harness for walks that puts less stress on her neck, I feel the one I have may be detrimental and maybe presses her spine too much if she pulls. Also are there any good exercises to help with this? Shes going to be on steroids for a bit but the good stuff that lasts months is being used in Covid treatments so weekly vet visits is the only choice for now, poor thing is going to have a heart attack going to the scary vet that often.

Poor friend! I hope the steriods fix her up soon. You should check with your vet if they have any suggestions or can refer you to a rehab/physical therapy place but something like cookie stretches might be good for her:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1JtyllwSWW0

What sort of harness is she using now? Is she a heavy puller?

hatty
Feb 28, 2011

Pork Pro
She only pulls heavy when she sees another dog otherwise I’ve trained her to keep some slack in the leash. But boy when she sees a potential friend she just wants to rush over and play with them

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

Waves of Steel
Fun Shoe

hatty posted:

She only pulls heavy when she sees another dog otherwise I’ve trained her to keep some slack in the leash. But boy when she sees a potential friend she just wants to rush over and play with them

Could you use one of those harnesses where the connection point is on the chest? I can't imagine any other option putting less stress on her neck than that.

hatty
Feb 28, 2011

Pork Pro
That’s an idea, my current one has the connection point on the back and it goes right into her neck when she dashes towards another dog or a rabbit

Instant Jellyfish
Jul 3, 2007

Actually not a fish.

The harnesses the canine fitness group I'm in recommend are the balance harness by Blue 9, ruffwear harnesses, the perfect fit harness, the hurtta y front, alpine outfitters, non-stop line harness, petsafe 3-in-1, and the anny-X. My dog has a ruffwear front range but it comes down to each individual dog which is going to fit best.

cailleask
May 6, 2007

Definitely try a few types! We went through 4 brands before we found a harness that had a front attachment AND my dog couldn't contort herself out of in a flash.

hatty
Feb 28, 2011

Pork Pro
I’ll order a few and have a little fashion show. She’s a corgi which explains the arthritis but also means she’s shaped oddly and I need to order a few different kinds anyway. Thanks for the advice!

My Spirit Otter
Jun 15, 2006

CANADA DOESN'T GET PENS LIKE THIS

SKILCRAFT KREW Reppin' Quality Blind Made American Products. Bitch.
Im getting a new puppy in a couple weeks and currently have a 7 year old gsd/kelpie cross named Maggie. Maggie is very dog friendly, but when the dog's breeder came with Frank and two of his littermates, Maggie wouldnt go near them. Granted it was a brief encounter.

So, im wondering if you guys could provide me some good reading material on introducing dogs. Good bonding tips etc.

Instant Jellyfish
Jul 3, 2007

Actually not a fish.

My Spirit Otter posted:

Im getting a new puppy in a couple weeks and currently have a 7 year old gsd/kelpie cross named Maggie. Maggie is very dog friendly, but when the dog's breeder came with Frank and two of his littermates, Maggie wouldnt go near them. Granted it was a brief encounter.

So, im wondering if you guys could provide me some good reading material on introducing dogs. Good bonding tips etc.

Here you go:
https://www.amazon.com/Feeling-Outnumbered-Manage-Multi-Dog-Household/dp/1891767062/

https://www.fenzidogsportsacademy.com/index.php/courses/29526

https://www.humanesociety.org/resources/introducing-new-dogs

https://www.luckydoganimalrescue.org/articles/tips-introducing-new-dog-your-household-pack

https://dogsplayingforlife.com/introducing-new-dog-dog-home/

It's totally normal for adult dogs to not really know what to do with baby puppies and need some space. It doesn't mean they won't be friends later, just take things at Maggie's pace. Good luck and post puppy pictures!

My Spirit Otter
Jun 15, 2006

CANADA DOESN'T GET PENS LIKE THIS

SKILCRAFT KREW Reppin' Quality Blind Made American Products. Bitch.

Awesome, thanks for these. I meant to include pics in the original post but straight up forgot, whoops.

Here's Maggie relaxin on the couch

And here's her soon-to-be best friend, Frank

Frank looks like a grumpy old man in every picture.

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

Waves of Steel
Fun Shoe
What I thought was a minor injury is actually a (probably infected) blister/boil, between two of Pavlov's toes. It's pink and dry, no broken skin visible, but it's also inflamed and full of fluid.

I'm on the waitlists for three separate vets, but actual appointments are still a week out. What can I do to help him in the meantime? Soak in hot water? Otherwise keep it clean and dry presumably.

He's not having trouble walking, but it is tender and he really wants to lick it, so he's having to wear an Elizabethean collar. :(

BAGS FLY AT NOON
Apr 6, 2011

A Soft Nylon Bag

TooMuchAbstraction posted:

What I thought was a minor injury is actually a (probably infected) blister/boil, between two of Pavlov's toes. It's pink and dry, no broken skin visible, but it's also inflamed and full of fluid.

I'm on the waitlists for three separate vets, but actual appointments are still a week out. What can I do to help him in the meantime? Soak in hot water? Otherwise keep it clean and dry presumably.

He's not having trouble walking, but it is tender and he really wants to lick it, so he's having to wear an Elizabethean collar. :(

Sounds like interdigital cyst or furuncle. One of my dogs gets these in the summer, and she had one burst once and get further infected. A soak in warm water with some baking soda can soothe it and may help it drain on its own. Keep it clean and dry. For my dog I found gently cleaning in between her toes once a week or so seems to keep them at bay.

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

Waves of Steel
Fun Shoe

Bags Fly at Noon posted:

Sounds like interdigital cyst or furuncle. One of my dogs gets these in the summer, and she had one burst once and get further infected. A soak in warm water with some baking soda can soothe it and may help it drain on its own. Keep it clean and dry. For my dog I found gently cleaning in between her toes once a week or so seems to keep them at bay.

Thanks! Your diagnosis sounds plausible, judging from images and articles. I'll keep him clean and soak his foot regularly. Would it make a difference to put bactine on the lump?

BAGS FLY AT NOON
Apr 6, 2011

A Soft Nylon Bag

TooMuchAbstraction posted:

Thanks! Your diagnosis sounds plausible, judging from images and articles. I'll keep him clean and soak his foot regularly. Would it make a difference to put bactine on the lump?

It should be ok. You said you had an e-collar on him so he won’t be able to lick the medicine off.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Rev
Jun 24, 2008
I've got a 5.5 month Greater Swiss Mountain Dog who for the most part is happy and healthy. However once every other week or so at random he will wake us up between 4-6am with loud horking noises which culminate in dry heaving, and very rarely upchucking a small amount of pale brown-colored liquid (bile perhaps?). He's now started doing this every night for the last four nights despite no noticeable change to his diet or lifestyle. He doesn't seem to be in distress afterward and will usually just fall back asleep in a few minutes. He's never done this outside of the 4-6am window.

I'm booked for a vet apt in a week's time, but curious if anyone has ever gone through a similar thing. Again 90% of the time he doesn't barf up anything, once he's barfed up a wrapper he must have eaten on a walk, and 10% of the time it's maybe a teaspoons' worth of pale brown liquid.

Dog Tax: