Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Which horse film is your favorite?
This poll is closed.
Black Beauty 2 1.06%
A Talking Pony!?! 4 2.13%
Mr. Hands 2x Apple Flavor 117 62.23%
War Horse 11 5.85%
Mr. Hands 54 28.72%
Total: 188 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

Raccooon
Dec 5, 2009

With this many people sick could we see key medical supplies run out? Like a lot of different ones?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

LionArcher
Mar 29, 2010

FistEnergy posted:

https://twitter.com/BNODesk/status/1480667006815072264?t=7WZQsll0UL7Gr1qmgvMezw&s=19

1.1 million cases with 14 states left to report.

The Biden administration's vaccine-only strategy looks worse by the day. They gambled on the vaccines doing the work for them, and they lost.

Just an incredible number.

It's going to be wild that a lot more Americans are going to die under Biden than Trump. Holy poo poo is it just getting worse. A million deaths by what? March? April?

Jaxyon
Mar 7, 2016
I’m just saying I would like to see a man beat a woman in a cage. Just to be sure.

Raccooon posted:

With this many people sick could we see key medical supplies run out? Like a lot of different ones?

Already happening, but the bigger concern is labor/staff.

Also everyone I know in healthcare is about this close from quitting.

smoobles
Sep 4, 2014

An admin job opened up at my company mid 2021 and apparently 50% of the applications were coming out of the medical field

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Public school teachers are callous dictators who won't lift a finger to stop children from peeing in my plane

Jaxyon posted:

If it sucks.. hit da bricks!

Farmer Crack-Ass
Jan 2, 2001

this is me posting irl

Raccooon posted:

There were reports of liquid oxygen shortages a while back.

Jaxyon posted:

smoobles posted:

An admin job opened up at my company mid 2021 and apparently 50% of the applications were coming out of the medical field

One of my friends is quitting their job at a nursing home because the management is just completely out of touch; the industry's labor practices are designed around the assumption that there is a constant influx of new graduates that can be hired, exploited, and abused until they quit.

This assumption is no longer workable (since demand is greatly outstripping supply, there's no easy way to effectively increase supply, and workers are burning out much faster now) but trust a bunch of MBA shitheads to run it straight into the ground before they realize there's a problem.

StratGoatCom
Aug 6, 2019

Our security is guaranteed by being able to melt the eyeballs of any other forum's denizens at 15 minutes notice

Farmer Crack-rear end posted:

There were reports of liquid oxygen shortages a while back.

At least some American water systems are dependent on supplies of liquid O2, I think.. feedstock for ozone purification, yes? As an aside.

crepeface
Nov 5, 2004

r*p*f*c*

StratGoatCom posted:

At least some American water systems are dependent on supplies of liquid O2, I think.. feedstock for ozone purification, yes? As an aside.

from the "doomer" thread:

mod sassinator posted:

another part of florida is loving with their water because of o2 shortages lol

https://www.wtsp.com/article/news/local/hillsboroughcounty/tampa-bay-water-treatment-liquid-oxygen/67-f3d940a6-7c0e-42b2-9aa1-7440eafbc89e

quote:

AMPA, Fla. — Tampa Bay Water operators advise the quality of drinking water will be OK after changing its treatment process because of a shortage of liquid oxygen.

The temporary adjustment, set to go into effect Thursday, Aug. 26, applies to people living in southern Hillsborough County, according to a news release. The utility says the change is necessary at its Lithia Hydrogen Sulfide Removal Facility given fewer deliveries of liquid oxygen, which is used in the water treatment process, and its use for hospitals to treat COVID patients.

Officials in Central Florida last week told residents to immediately conserve water given the significant rise of COVID-related hospitalizations and the demand for liquid oxygen in medical settings.

Utility workers will use sodium hypochlorite, otherwise known as bleach, to treat the water — rather than use liquid oxygen — and remove hydrogen sulfide. People who are sensitive to taste and odor changes might notice a difference, the utility says, but the water otherwise will meet or be better than local, state and federal standards.

Penisaurus Sex posted:

They use gaseous O2 to aerate their treatment facility.

If you want some mildly good news it’s very unlikely water treatment services will actually end, or stop suddenly. at least in the southeast, most places just use chlorine and sulfur gas. There’s no moving parts in the equipment, and only a few seals that can degrade.

Modern water treatment is pretty resilient.

though that doesn't mean everything is fine, orlando has asked people to chill out on water consumption

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Public school teachers are callous dictators who won't lift a finger to stop children from peeing in my plane
That's from August/September, but okay.

EDIT: It is proof that some systems use oxygen, but it's not reflective of the current status of the system, to be clear.

StratGoatCom
Aug 6, 2019

Our security is guaranteed by being able to melt the eyeballs of any other forum's denizens at 15 minutes notice

PT6A posted:

That's from August/September, but okay.

EDIT: It is proof that some systems use oxygen, but it's not reflective of the current status of the system, to be clear.

We're likely to see it start again.

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

StratGoatCom posted:

We're likely to see it start again.

Yes, probably so. But we're not seeing it yet which is good because if it were happening already, it would get a whole lot worse before it gets better.

LionArcher
Mar 29, 2010

Here's a good post of a bunch of things that Biden and company could actually do if they gave a poo poo. (Or people in power in general).

https://twitter.com/DataDrivenMD/status/1480607009867132928?s=20

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

We don't need to have that dialogue because it's obvious, trivial, and has already been had a thousand times.

LionArcher posted:

Here's a good post of a bunch of things that Biden and company could actually do if they gave a poo poo. (Or people in power in general).

https://twitter.com/DataDrivenMD/status/1480607009867132928?s=20

well, let's see,

1. Universal mask mandates, now: not something the federal government can clearly legally mandate, not clear it's something any government entity can enforce.
2. We must give parents of children under 5 years *the option* to vaccinate their children, now: It's not clear that there's evidence sufficient to justify approval of a vaccine for children under 5; when last I checked Pfizer was furthest along the already massively shortcutted vaccine approval pathway, and their trials failed to find exprected levels of immunity in december such that they were amending their design.

That's it. Those are the only two things in the string of tweets.

By the way, about 6 hours ago, HHS announced the following:

Beginning January 15, 2022, individuals with private health insurance coverage or covered by a group health plan who purchase an over-the-counter COVID-19 diagnostic test authorized, cleared, or approved by the U.S. Food and Drug Administration (FDA) will be able to have those test costs covered by their plan or insurance. Insurance companies and health plans are required to cover 8 free over-the-counter at-home tests per covered individual per month.

More details at the link; this appears to be rushed, and they're forcing funding through CMS in some way, but I can't figure out the procedural details atm.

Discendo Vox fucked around with this message at 03:34 on Jan 11, 2022

LionArcher
Mar 29, 2010

Discendo Vox posted:

well, let's see,

1. Universal mask mandates, now: not something the federal government can clearly legally mandate, not clear it's something any government entity can enforce.
2. We must give parents of children under 5 years *the option* to vaccinate their children, now: It's not clear that there's evidence sufficient to justify approval of a vaccine for children under 5; when last I checked Pfizer was furthest along the already massively shortcutted vaccine approval pathway, and their trials failed to find exprected levels of immunity in december such that they were amending their design.

That's it. Those are the only two things in the string of tweets.

Legally is doing a lot of lifting in your effort post DV. They can totally mandate it, give everyone free N95 masks as an executive order, and then have courts fight over it for awhile, while we lower actual rates. As for point two, the science posts in this thread have been questionable, (I remember when folks were trying to get a 3rd dose back in August and figuring out how to get a 3rd dose) was deemed "crazy" and "doomer" and getting probes.

LionArcher fucked around with this message at 03:33 on Jan 11, 2022

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

We don't need to have that dialogue because it's obvious, trivial, and has already been had a thousand times.

LionArcher posted:

Legally is doing a lot of lifting in your effort post DV. They can totally mandate it, give everyone free N95 masks as an executive order, and then have courts fight over it for awhile, while we lower actual rates.

So when the executive branch tries to get the masks, who do they pay, and with what money? How do they distribute them? Do you think an immediate stay won't be granted? Do you think saying that something is illegal makes it more possible?

LionArcher posted:

As for point two, the science posts in this thread have been questionable, (I remember when folks were trying to get a 3rd dose back in August and figuring out how to get a 3rd dose) was deemed "crazy" and "doomer" and getting probes.

You are the person who posted a twitter thread from a random former anesthesiology instructor who now works for a telehealth and doctor social media company. Here's Reuters citing Pfizer itself on the status of the trials.

Salt Fish
Sep 11, 2003

Cybernetic Crumb
🧵

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

Discendo Vox posted:

How do they distribute them?

I'm pretty sure the Executive Branch has access to the post office.

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

Also, couldn't they just mandate it with no punishment? Just announce "everyone must wear a mask now". What would the court stay? Who would even have standing to bring a case against it?

Edit: and states wouldn't be able to do anything about it. The Federal government could keep airing ads on all TV networks saying people must wear masks, and since there's no enforcement mechanism all states would be able to do is say "nuh uh"

Gripweed fucked around with this message at 03:56 on Jan 11, 2022

LionArcher
Mar 29, 2010

Gripweed posted:

Also, couldn't they just mandate it with no punishment? Just announce "everyone must wear a mask now". What would the court stay? Who would even have standing to bring a case against it?

Edit: and states wouldn't be able to do anything about it. The Federal government could keep airing ads on all TV networks saying people must wear masks, and since there's no enforcement mechanism all states would be able to do is say "nuh uh"

Exactly. Anyone pushing back that they "can't do that" is showing their true colors.

Willa Rogers
Mar 11, 2005

Maybe the feds could use some of that $750 billion in newly increased NDAA funding & set up military/national guard widespread distributions of vaccines, masks & tests.

Also ad hoc military hospitals in places where hospitals are swamped, as they managed to do in spring 2020 but were underutilized.

(I look forward to people's experiences with trying to access timely reimbursement through their health-insurance companies, given the industry's renown for its excellent customer service.)

Karl Barks
Jan 21, 1981

Discendo Vox posted:

So when the executive branch tries to get the masks, who do they pay, and with what money? How do they distribute them? Do you think an immediate stay won't be granted? Do you think saying that something is illegal makes it more possible?

PPE manufacturers, DoD, DHS, or HHS budgets, the military and post office, who cares, and who cares.

crepeface
Nov 5, 2004

r*p*f*c*
what can we do?

mandate masks.

:actually: that's illegal

Shammypants
May 25, 2004

Let me tell you about true luxury.

It would be hilarious to leverage the military to stop covid, and have right wingers turn on the military next as part of the conspiracy.

Willa Rogers
Mar 11, 2005

Shammypants posted:

It would be hilarious to leverage the military to stop covid, and have right wingers turn on the military next as part of the conspiracy.

Let's try it & see!

I can't see any blowback arising at distro centers & hospitals, even if they were established under Pres. Pop-Pop instead of their beloved cheeto.

Fritz the Horse
Dec 26, 2019

... of course!

crepeface posted:

from the "doomer" thread:

though that doesn't mean everything is fine, orlando has asked people to chill out on water consumption

FWIW it's totally fine to cross-post stuff from the other COVID threads in limited amounts, particularly if it's relevant to a conversation going on in here (which is what you've done).

What we'd like to avoid is inter-forum drama and getting into discussion of which threads are good/bad/correct/doomer etc.

brugroffil
Nov 30, 2015

SLC doing the right thing

https://twitter.com/AbraarKaran/status/1480687084838940672

crepeface
Nov 5, 2004

r*p*f*c*
^^^ drat, telling people to use the good poo poo too! impressed!

Fritz the Horse posted:

FWIW it's totally fine to cross-post stuff from the other COVID threads in limited amounts, particularly if it's relevant to a conversation going on in here (which is what you've done).

What we'd like to avoid is inter-forum drama and getting into discussion of which threads are good/bad/correct/doomer etc.

i think the prof. said something to that effect before too but good know it's still true

crepeface fucked around with this message at 05:43 on Jan 11, 2022

Professor Beetus
Apr 12, 2007

They can fight us
But they'll never Beetus

crepeface posted:

^^^ drat, telling people to use the good poo poo too! impressed!

i think the prof. said something to that effect before too but good know it's still true

Yeah this is generally my feeling on it. It hasn't really been a problem in here with the exception of a couple dubious or misleading tweets here and there. But folks are generally good at calling those out and pointing out why the info is sus. As long as people aren't throwing around insults or trashing subs I think sharing of info is helpful.

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

Professor Beetus posted:

Yeah this is generally my feeling on it. It hasn't really been a problem in here with the exception of a couple dubious or misleading tweets here and there. But folks are generally good at calling those out and pointing out why the info is sus. As long as people aren't throwing around insults or trashing subs I think sharing of info is helpful.

There is literally a rule against posting poo poo without context or without reading it. Please start enforcing the rule and not leaving it continuously on the thread to be incipient fact-checkers.

crepeface
Nov 5, 2004

r*p*f*c*

Discendo Vox posted:

There is literally a rule against posting poo poo without context or without reading it. Please start enforcing the rule and not leaving it continuously on the thread to be incipient fact-checkers.

just report it then?

Sharks Eat Bear
Dec 25, 2004

Found this summary of a pre-print on long covid interesting. Seems like a fairly robust study as far as I can tell, albeit among an entirely unvaccinated cohort and with a relatively small sample of Covid infected patients. The tweet author is just some guy, afaik he has no special expertise, but his summary seems credible

My takeaways:
- confirmation that long covid up to at least a year out is definitely a thing, 56% of people infected in Wave 1 Spring 2020 reported having at least 1 new symptom 11-12 months after infection vs only 21% of uninfected people

- symptoms seem to cluster into groups that seem more CNS related (fatigue, brain fog, dizziness) and more respiratory related (SOB, chest pain, cough). Suggests LC may be more than just one syndrome although no idea if there are hypotheses for what factors result in one vs. the other presentation

- symptom frequency correlates with covid severity (more severe = more long term symptoms). Insofar as vaccination reduces disease severity among infected, this makes me think vaccination would reduce risk of LC symptoms as well but that’s just my speculation

https://twitter.com/BarclayBenedict/status/1480463466439888899?s=20

Koos Group
Mar 6, 2013

Discendo Vox posted:

Just as posters in threads are meant to be the first line of defense against misinformation, readers of threads are meant to be the first line of defense against breaking D&D rules. Mods can't have eyes everywhere, and if you suspect someone is being reckless with their article posting, please report them.

freebooter
Jul 7, 2009

I expect this is the first time anywhere in the US has mandated this; is it the first time in the world? I know Germany had some quality levels associated with its mandates but don't recall if they were N95.

Incidentally if it wasn't for this thread (and maybe Twitter but only in the last 6 months or so) I would have no idea what an N95 is and have definitely never seen one in Melbourne except on paramedics and a handful of people (both staff and patients) at the local hospital. I have my own half-baked beliefs about how mask obsession (or rather, obsession with Youtube mask reviews, different varieties of mask, reputable Amazon vendors etc) is a peculiarly American thing that directly correlates to American consumerism, but putting that aside, it would be interesting to know if anyone's made similar observations in e.g. Europe.

Hashy
Nov 20, 2005

People wear kf95s everywhere in Australia in about the ratio of people who would have googled "what mask best corona" to those that heard the anti-respirator rhetoric from mainstream media once in April of 2020 and never challenged it.

I'd also assume there are a lot of counterfeit ones on the Amazon marketplace here too

Hashy fucked around with this message at 07:04 on Jan 11, 2022

WAR CRIME GIGOLO
Oct 3, 2012

The Hague
tryna get me
for these glutes

Ive found the cure to covid. First you defecate into a bottle... Then you want to sell the bottle with a balloon...

Professor Beetus
Apr 12, 2007

They can fight us
But they'll never Beetus

WAR CRIME GIGOLO posted:

Ive found the cure to covid. First you defecate into a bottle... Then you want to sell the bottle with a balloon...

Thank you, would you like proper attribution when I get around to updating the OP?

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

Koos Group posted:

Just as posters in threads are meant to be the first line of defense against misinformation, readers of threads are meant to be the first line of defense against breaking D&D rules. Mods can't have eyes everywhere, and if you suspect someone is being reckless with their article posting, please report them.

There is a very, very important distinction between a) "report misinformation and misleading or context-free tweets so we can punish them and the abuse stops" and b) "it's okay if people post misinformation, a constant flow of misinformation is fine because the thread gets to become about correcting that misinformation, over and over and over".

Precambrian Video Games
Aug 19, 2002

freebooter posted:

I have my own half-baked beliefs about how mask obsession (or rather, obsession with Youtube mask reviews, different varieties of mask, reputable Amazon vendors etc) is a peculiarly American thing that directly correlates to American consumerism, but putting that aside, it would be interesting to know if anyone's made similar observations in e.g. Europe.

Uh, no, not really. Even the CDC admits that half or more of KN95s masks in the US are counterfeit. Back in 2020, though, N95s were scarce and you did have to care about what you were buying and where. For most of 2021, finding genuine N95s became easier and the obvious choice.

Amazon reportedly makes it easier to unwittingly receive counterfeit stock by mixing stock intended for first vs third party sellers, but you're rolling the dice whenever you order from a third party seller on any website, for the most part.

Uglycat
Dec 4, 2000
MORE INDISPUTABLE PROOF I AM BAD AT POSTING
---------------->
Any task can be accomplished zero contact with n95 protection and co2 measures and corsi cubes.

We don't need shut downs, we need to become dynamic enough, locally, to transition to a zero- contact economy whenever community spread is detected. To prevent community spread, discourage travel, test sewage, and do follow up testing and contact tracing (forward AND backward) when a sewer pops hot.

For zero contact economy, begin by imagining a full shut down. Identify the tasks that really
/have/ to happen, to support infrastructure, and redesign those work spaces, deploy ppe, etc. Then turn on delivery services, and allocate ppe to them. Then get corsi cubes and n95s to the schools, offer the Vax (with strong incentives) to students.... /then/ open up the schools.

Eventually, numbers resemble China and you can open theaters. When community spread is detected, switch over to zero-contact again (and make it more seamless each time).

E: osha can be used to push this
E2: in door dining and drinking must immediately stop when the zero contact breaker (undetected community spread, defined as multiple sewer streams in succession) is triggered. Longer travel must involve quarantine and two negative tests on nonconsecutive days. Also, only one trip a month (one way).
E3: when /not/ in a zero-contact phase, one should still limit the number of people you share air with to what you could reasonably recall during a contact tracing interview. Frequent retreats of 36 hors gives some time for symptoms to present or tests to become a little more reliable, and are wise any time answering hypothetical contact tracing interview questions would prove at all daunting.

Uglycat fucked around with this message at 08:00 on Jan 11, 2022

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

crepeface
Nov 5, 2004

r*p*f*c*

freebooter posted:

I have my own half-baked beliefs about how mask obsession (or rather, obsession with Youtube mask reviews, different varieties of mask, reputable Amazon vendors etc) is a peculiarly American thing that directly correlates to American consumerism, but putting that aside, it would be interesting to know if anyone's made similar observations in e.g. Europe.

googling "best mask covid" and buying the result is not consumerism keep your half baked beliefs in the oven a bit longer

also idk what you're talking about, I've seen plenty of n95, kf94 and p2 masks though I wish saw more