Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Stux
Nov 17, 2006

yup. sbdolutely the same when a game is shipped ltierally broken and it takes years to fix vs a game shipping as intended, with a clear plan for free content updates that are delivered within the time frame put forth of a few months. dead to rights here frankly.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Upsidads
Jan 11, 2007
Now and then we had a hope that if we lived and were good, God would permit us to be pirates

I can't believe they made two zeldas

Jezza of OZPOS
Mar 21, 2018

GET LOSE❌🗺️, YOUS CAN'T COMPARE😤 WITH ME 💪POWERS🇦🇺
i didn't realise the best zelda game was on switch, zelda 2. I feel like an idiot. Has this always been here?

Junkie Disease posted:

I can't believe they made two zeldas

its your fault I feel like a dumbass btw

The Anime Liker
Aug 8, 2009

by VideoGames

Takoluka posted:

the dumbest post

Yeah that's definitely going to happen, you absolutely got the point, good job, so proud of you

The Anime Liker
Aug 8, 2009

by VideoGames
There are 3 zeldas on the switch, not counting the switch online games which bring it up to 6 or so

Best system?

Many are saying so.

Alan_Shore
Dec 2, 2004

I liked it when games were shipped and they were fully completed

Now it's all day one patches and features that are coming later

I remember when people were asking the devs of Bayonetta for DLC and they said there isn't any, we already made the game

Those were the days

16-bit Butt-Head
Dec 25, 2014
the opinions of the puppet and other youtubers do not scare me

The Anime Liker
Aug 8, 2009

by VideoGames
Personally I think it's pretty cool that during the slow months Nintendo would put out a fully functioning game (not an unfinished broken one) with half the content and they tell you you're getting more free content later.

It's like when games have "season passes". But free.

Apparently free season passes make you a monster that eats babies, though, and it's much better to charge a 50 or 100% markup for expansion packs which is the norm.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Alan_Shore posted:

I remember when people were asking the devs of Bayonetta for DLC and they said there isn't any, we already made the game

Those were the days

Remember when games shipped with unfixable bugs large and small on Cartridge, CD and DVD? Because that's what that fixed.

The Anime Liker
Aug 8, 2009

by VideoGames

Neddy Seagoon posted:

Remember when games shipped with unfixable bugs large and small on Cartridge, CD and DVD? Because that's what that fixed.

Haha yeah

Araxxor
Oct 20, 2012

My disdain for you all knows no bounds.

A GLISTENING HODOR posted:

Look stux, you don't get it.

No one should buy a good game in January of 2022 if it was less good in March of 2021.

See also how no one should watch the director's cuts of Blade Runner or Dark City because the initial studio cuts were bad.

This though is a different story yeah. Like for the people hopping on later they'll have more to look into and will probably be jumping onto a fairly different game.

It does get annoying when some old reviews are really outdated because of big changes or additions made to the game since then. Though at the same time they can't really write about future stuff at the time, they have to work with what they got now. Doing that'll just get into weird territory and probably introduce the opposite problem if the devs don't follow through with the promises.

Neddy Seagoon posted:

Yeah if a breaking bug happened, that game copy was just hosed. And if the glitch is terrible enough, they may have to do a straight up recall of the games. Like how Japanese Pokemon Mystery Dungeon 1 DS had to do a recall because it erased save data of any game that wasn't the GBA version of PMD in the GBA slot. That sort of thing can be dealt with easily nowadays.

Should also note that these could happen more frequently in the home country back then. Localized games tended to serve as a "revision 2" where such glitches are stamped out during that process so the rest of the world tends to get a fixed version first.

Araxxor fucked around with this message at 08:51 on Jan 11, 2022

Commander Keene
Dec 21, 2016

Faster than the others

Alan_Shore posted:

Those were the days
As other people have already said, that's a double-edged sword. Basically no game has ever shipped with all the features that were at one point intended for it, and a lot of those intended features were cut for time or budget reasons. In "the good old days" when what was on the cart/disc was what you got, bugs that were in the game on release would remain in the game forever, unless the game itself was re-released in some form. Game mechanics that were unfinished would remain unfinished, etc. Nowadays, you can at least hope that bugs get fixed.

In an ideal world, all video games would release bug-free and feature-complete, but that ideal world does not and has never existed. Anyone who believes it did is fooling themselves. We have traded "the old way" for "the new way" and both have their positives and negatives.

JosefStalinator
Oct 9, 2007

Come Tbilisi if you want to live.

Grimey Drawer
Sorry if this is the wrong place, but is there a place where goons doing mario party superstars are posting friend codes or looking for more players? Or a discord perhaps? I'd love to be pointed in the right direction. I have some friends but we'd rather find another person or two than just play AI!

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

Seems easy, don't buy game if you are not satisfied with the amount of content it has

if at a later date it gets better you can buy it then :)

Rocket Pan
Nov 3, 2011

Anything can be sent, as long as it's less than 1200 bytes

Commander Keene posted:

As other people have already said, that's a double-edged sword. Basically no game has ever shipped with all the features that were at one point intended for it, and a lot of those intended features were cut for time or budget reasons. In "the good old days" when what was on the cart/disc was what you got, bugs that were in the game on release would remain in the game forever, unless the game itself was re-released in some form. Game mechanics that were unfinished would remain unfinished, etc. Nowadays, you can at least hope that bugs get fixed.

In an ideal world, all video games would release bug-free and feature-complete, but that ideal world does not and has never existed. Anyone who believes it did is fooling themselves. We have traded "the old way" for "the new way" and both have their positives and negatives.

It's funny when people try and claim that games never had day 1 patches before, and I have to ask them if they remember how Doom v1.1 shipped with a bug where multiplayer would crash if you were using a sound card. Any sound card. It didn't even launch with modem support, and saved games broke any active switches. poo poo was never bug free and the internet was already being used for early patches back in 1994.

Ineptitude
Mar 2, 2010

Heed my words and become a master of the Heart (of Thorns).

mandatory lesbian posted:

There is no worse feeling then losing to the cpu, the kids are right to fear it

Fun Times! posted:

I'm guessing it's some child development source of fear of playing with an unknown "player" rather than the difficulty of the bot

Yes, this is the first of the 2 major issues. The kids don't get the idea of a CPU player, it feels like an antagonist or a badguy, an irrational fear akin to monster under the bed or w/e.

Bust Rodd posted:

Can’t you just set it to 4 players and everyone just take turns moving the 4th guy?

That is possible, but shouldn't be necessary. It is also not that fun to be "forced" to play a board piece that isn't "yours"

Rupert Buttermilk posted:

I could be wrong but don't most MP games in the franchise force 4 players total for playing the boards?
Not the ones we have played. 3 was possible.
If you google the topic you just come across a bunch of Nintendo apologists saying that in particular the minigames wouldn't work with just 3 players, even though they are very similar to the Wii version and those minigames worked just fine with 3.

16-bit Butt-Head posted:

im not sure about superstars but aren't you able to set the CPU to very easy so that it wont be a problem? there is nothing to fear about the very easy CPU player...

The very easy CPU steamrolls young children dude.
This is the second of the 2 biggest issues with this. Even if my kids were ok with the idea of a CPU player he beats them in the minigames so the game ends up not being fun to play. When we play on the Wii i mostly let the kids succeed, on harder minigames i will play withe 4 year old's controller. It is always one of them winning the total. On Switch if i don't play my own player the CPU will win almost every minigame.

Jezza of OZPOS
Mar 21, 2018

when I'm playing with my nephews I play two characters which has the added bonus of stopping me from accidentally unleashing my powerful gaming reflexes on a 3 and 7 year old in minigames and winds up with me flailing around like an absolute moron

The Anime Liker
Aug 8, 2009

by VideoGames
LOL if you don't absolutely shithouse kids in video games to teach them that it sucks to be a loser and winning is everything.

Jezza of OZPOS
Mar 21, 2018

i've never heard "shithouse" used as a verb before today and tbh I don't care for it.

Alan_Shore
Dec 2, 2004

Commander Keene posted:

I mean I don't remember any horrific bugs that ruined my time on the Megadrive/Saturn/N64/Dreamcast...

Takoluka
Jun 26, 2009

Don't look at me!

Alan_Shore posted:

I mean I don't remember any horrific bugs that ruined my time on the Megadrive/Saturn/N64/Dreamcast...

https://tcrf.net/Bugs:Lufia_II:_Rise_of_the_Sinistrals

quote:

Ancient Cave Stairs Restart Glitch
If you manage to die while on a down stairs, the game will reset all your stats while allowing you to proceed to the next floor of the Ancient Cave. This is almost always fatal.

Nep-Nep
May 15, 2004

Just one more thing!
Of all the bugs in Lufia 2 that one is particularly benign because Ancient Cave is an optional challenge that resets your level to 1 when you start it, so unless I'm misunderstanding, your ancient cave run would normally be over if you died anyway, and presumably you'd still get your stats back once you wipe properly out of the dungeon.

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

I think I died and woke up in L.A.,
I don't know how I wound up in this place...

:canada:
Correct answer is to never be an early adopter of games, and always wait until they're in the bargain bin or on sale.

The Anime Liker
Aug 8, 2009

by VideoGames

Mister Facetious posted:

Correct answer is to never be an early adopter of games, and always wait until they're in the bargain bin or on sale.

LOL @ waiting for first party switch games to go on sale

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

I thought Mario Golf was pretty good. I haven't even played any of the post launch content that came out. Didn't think I would like the new swing mechanic but actually ended up liking it for its simplicity

Boba Pearl
Dec 27, 2019

by Athanatos
Honestly, I love having a reason to come back to Monster Hunter every few weeks for the new monster and gearl.

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

I think I died and woke up in L.A.,
I don't know how I wound up in this place...

:canada:

A GLISTENING HODOR posted:

LOL @ waiting for first party switch games to go on sale

"The boy has no patience,"

Stux
Nov 17, 2006

Ineptitude posted:

Not the ones we have played. 3 was possible.
If you google the topic you just come across a bunch of Nintendo apologists saying that in particular the minigames wouldn't work with just 3 players, even though they are very similar to the Wii version and those minigames worked just fine with 3.

lmfao

The Postman
May 12, 2007

John Wick of Dogs posted:

I thought Mario Golf was pretty good. I haven't even played any of the post launch content that came out. Didn't think I would like the new swing mechanic but actually ended up liking it for its simplicity

Oh yeah, I think they added target golf in the last update too. I'm hoping it makes good use of the ridiculous stuff you can do with those 4 segment shot gauges.

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

🚣RowboatMan: ❄️Freezing time🕰️ is an old P.I. 🥧trick...

Man, the enemies in Void Bastards are weird, but I'm digging the hell out of the game.

Marx Headroom
May 10, 2007

AT LAST! A show with nonono commercials!
Fallen Rib

Commander Keene posted:

In "the good old days" when what was on the cart/disc was what you got, bugs that were in the game on release would remain in the game forever, unless the game itself was re-released in some form.

Yeah but buggy games got bad reviews and people warned each other against buying them. These days people buy those buggy games and then go "Alas, perhaps it will be fixed some day!" like a lost sailor's wife standing vigil by the lighthouse

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.

16-bit Butt-Head posted:

the opinions of the puppet and other youtubers do not scare me

they scare me, op

Rosalie_A
Oct 30, 2011

Alan_Shore posted:

quote:

Dr. Robotnik has created many diabolical traps which take advantage of Sonic's ultra-fast speed. Watch out for traps that Sonic cannot escape. If you fall into the wrong trap, you might have to reset the game (by pressing the RESET button) and start again at the beginning of the Zone you were last in. When Sonic is flashing (after being hit) don't let him travel too quickly.

Games have, barring a tiny number of exceptions, never been finished before release. Development just stops at a point that someone decides is good enough. There's always planned features or things to polish that don't make it. The only difference between now and the 90s is that you can throw in more after release without having to make a sequel or revised edition (how many versions of Street Fighter 2 are there just for any one platform?).

Your Computer
Oct 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer
why did no one notify me, personally, that there is a new picross s

Boba Pearl
Dec 27, 2019

by Athanatos
I did, but I had to tell you about your car's extended warranty first and you hung up.

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

Your Computer posted:

I approached you to tell you but then read your t-shirt

poonchasta
Feb 22, 2007

FFFFAAAFFFFF FFFFFAAAAAAAFFFFF FFFFFFFFAAAAAAFFFFF FFFFFFFAAAAAAAFFFFFF FFFFFFFAAAAAAAFFFFF

Your Computer posted:

Rutger Hauer smug voice: "Didn't you get the memo?"

Morpheus
Apr 18, 2008

My favourite little monsters
I threw the brick through your window, did you not check the note attached?

Ragequit
Jun 1, 2006

Lipstick Apathy

Boba Pearl posted:

Honestly, I love having a reason to come back to Monster Hunter every few weeks for the new monster and gearl.

This would be me if I had the loving time for it. Hachi Machi there are too many good new games out there.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Huxley
Oct 10, 2012

Grimey Drawer
Finished the third tower early in Shiren, made it to the second village and did some housework, registered a weapon, then thought I saved. Relaunched the game this morning and was back at the first city again with an empty inventory because swapping to a different game apparently still registered as a death.

Very confused.