Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

EricBauman
Nov 30, 2005

DOLF IS RECHTVAARDIG
Oh, it's The OC, but black. Again

Edit: drat this is a lovely snipe.

My comment was about this:

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_-_P9DPMuy8

I forgot this was a thing. And it had production problems unrelated to covid so who knows how good it's going to be.

And we already have All American, which is The OC, but black and with football

EricBauman fucked around with this message at 18:16 on Jan 10, 2022

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

live with fruit
Aug 15, 2010
What are they going to use to humanize Uncle Phil now that he's way too young to have heard Malcolm X speak? Also, will he still have a pet pig?

live with fruit fucked around with this message at 19:13 on Jan 10, 2022

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007
I think they showed Uncle Phil dancing at some point, very human thing to do.

Pope Corky the IX
Dec 18, 2006

What are you looking at?
I thought Uncle Phil was dead.

Azhais
Feb 5, 2007
Switchblade Switcharoo

Pope Corky the IX posted:

I thought Uncle Phil was dead.

He's gonna be in there like a Sims ghost family member

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007
So was Peter Cushing. Death is no longer an excuse to not work in media.

hybridnoisebloom
Nov 16, 2021

DC Murderverse posted:

I haven’t watched Euphoria before but people on Twitter were talking about how Kodak started making film again for the most recent seasons of Succession and Euphoria to be shot on, and after watching the season finale of Succession and how great it looked I’m curious about Euphoria. Did you notice it looking particularly nice?

I mean, I didn't notice a particularly different look from the last season, but the show is absolutely gorgeously shot across the board regardless and the episode from last night was no different. Wouldn't surprise me at all if they did decide to shoot on film for this season, though.

Bright Bart
Apr 27, 2020

False. There is only one electron and it has never stopped
Planned to wait and then binge Euphoria but couldn't help myself. Wish I had resisted the urge.

The first season (unpopular opinion: minus the specials) is probably my favourite television to date.

SE02E01 is... very dissapointing. Especially with the new film technique it looks like the middle of an entirely unremarkable Hollywood film instead of the most innovative and well-scripted series in a decade. I might have serious problems with every single scene. It all feels phoned in. Every single line, shot, costume, and expression.

The trailer for the next few episodes seems okay though so hopefully it's just an anomaly and/or I am just in a different and not very happy place at the moment. But the first season didn't have any bad episodes so it is surprising regardless especially since the same person wrote and directed this one.

Matt Zerella
Oct 7, 2002

Norris'es are back baby. It's good again. Awoouu (fox Howl)
I’d be completely fine with Euphoria S2 focusing on Fez

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer

Bright Bart posted:

Planned to wait and then binge Euphoria but couldn't help myself. Wish I had resisted the urge.

The first season (unpopular opinion: minus the specials) is probably my favourite television to date.

SE02E01 is... very dissapointing. Especially with the new film technique it looks like the middle of an entirely unremarkable Hollywood film instead of the most innovative and well-scripted series in a decade. I might have serious problems with every single scene. It all feels phoned in. Every single line, shot, costume, and expression.

The trailer for the next few episodes seems okay though so hopefully it's just an anomaly and/or I am just in a different and not very happy place at the moment. But the first season didn't have any bad episodes so it is surprising regardless especially since the same person wrote and directed this one.

I do think this sounds like it might be a you problem, because to me it felt exactly the same. Maybe a little meaner? Don’t agree about the cinematography at all I think it looks the same except now with lovely film grain. Oh I just reread and you don’t like the specials???? What??????

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant

live with fruit posted:

What are they going to use to humanize Uncle Phil now that he's way too young to have heard Malcolm X speak? Also, will he still have a pet pig?
Will: "You don't know THE STRUGGLE, Phil!"

Phil: "Motherfucker I CANVASSED FOR OBAMA"

Or maybe Phil was part of the Dream Team that got OJ off and that's how he made his millions. Iono man

roomtone
Jul 1, 2021

by Fluffdaddy
is there no You thread?

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

So I'll just post this here I guess since the Good Place thread is archived and the meme thread is a suboptimal place for it.

I've been watching The Good Place and while it's really excellent and I'm totally enjoying it, there's one episode that really annoys me. Spoilers I guess but I'm not gonna black out this whole post.

The premise of the show heavily features ethical conundrums, right? And this one episode centers around our old friend the Trolley Problem. It illustrates the whole deal pretty vividly and in a funny way as you might expect; five people on one track, you can switch tracks and only kill one person, and they show graphically what happens in either case.

But what pisses me off is that the show totally misses the point of the choice, which is that to kill the one person you have to make the choice, making you a murderer, whereas killing five people is at least passive and you can claim that YOU never made the explicit choice to kill them, you can say you legitimately did nothing. It's a thought experiment about agency and passivity, about the ends justifying the means, about whether your own personal ethical cleanliness is worth more than the larger good you might effect in the world by actively doing a smaller bad thing. What if you could save the world by damning yourself?

But the show just never mentions that little detail, and instead focuses on "Ah, so you say you would choose to kill only one person instead of five? Well PLOT TWIST, WHAT IF IT WAS ONE PERSON WHO YOU HAPPEN TO KNOW???" and goes off on all these weird tangents about who the one and five people are, "what if it was five members of Menudo versus one Gandhi" and makes out as though the whole mental exercise is about you judging other people for whether you'd rather kill 5 A's or 1 B, and swapping out various theoretical A's and B's in some sort of ranking bracket or "would you eat a turd for $1 million? ... What about $2 million?" game like kids would play.

The show normally is really good about making ethical points and speaking cogently about different philosophers and their work, but how did they manage to whiff this one so bad while a bunch of meme idiots on the Internet all understand it perfectly well?

I'm having trouble buying that it was an intentional choice on the part of the writers because it would have taken two seconds to explain it better and I can't believe the writers would have misrepresented it so badly if they actually knew better. How could they live with themselves?

Is "watching a generally good show that has one nagging stupid piece that makes me mad" my own personal afterlife torture? :ohdear:

Data Graham fucked around with this message at 14:26 on Jan 11, 2022

Mulva
Sep 13, 2011
It's about time for my once per decade ban for being a consistently terrible poster.

Data Graham posted:

The show normally is really good about making ethical points and speaking cogently about different philosophers and their work, but how did they manage to whiff this one so bad while a bunch of meme idiots on the Internet all understand it perfectly well?

Because the episode isn't about the trolley problem, Michael uses it as an excuse to gently caress with Chidi which derails actual discussion about it. The episode is about how Michael is still both a demon and explicitly knows how much of human morality is bullshit. He knows, to the decimal, the exact weight of every action objectively. So how do you get him to act more like a person? The Trolley Problem itself only exists in the episode to get people used to the concept for when they actually bring it up again later.

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

Those are all just typical variations and extensions of the Trolley Problem. The Good Place didn't invent them.

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
I cleaned up my TVIV decade poll writing and posted it to my site. Check it out! https://tombown.com/tom-bowns-favourite-tv-shows-2011-2021-1b0f8b4b2915

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

Regy Rusty posted:

Those are all just typical variations and extensions of the Trolley Problem. The Good Place didn't invent them.

Yeah but I'm saying the ones they do in the show just make it less interesting (if funnier) and obscure the main thrust of the exercise. Like the show got the idea that "the internet is full of trolley problem variations" and ignored that they're mostly explorations of nihilism or misanthropy or just meme jokes and jumped somehow to making it all about "do you kill your mother-in-law or five Amazon warehouse workers, press A or B so we can gauge how you personally feel about your MIL and Amazon workers relative to one another" like a dumb game of gently caress/marry/kill

Anyway I refuse to believe the show didn't understand the purpose of the problem because a) they brought it up in the first place and b) large parts of the plot hinge on exactly its premise, i.e. "what if I choose to go to the Bad Place, won't that get me a million points and earn me my way to the Good Place? Or does the act of giving myself this potential reward for choosing self-sacrifice undermine the whole concept of doing things selflessly?"

Data Graham fucked around with this message at 15:28 on Jan 11, 2022

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

I like it when a show trusts it’s audience to know and understand common things rather than wasting time explaining it to the lowest common denominator.

It’s refreshing, as so many shows including ones I like (recent example - Always Sunny) will do a good joke, then immediately follow it by referencing it so you understand you just heard a joke and are clear about what it was. No, I got it thanks. And if I didn’t I could’ve just moved on with my life anyway.

Looten Plunder
Jul 11, 2006
Grimey Drawer

Data Graham posted:

Yeah but I'm saying the ones they do in the show just make it less interesting (if funnier) and obscure the main thrust of the exercise
I'd argue it's more interesting. Whilst it might have been the thesis of the initial problem, who would honestly argue that doing nothing isn't a choice? It's an active decision either way, there is no pacifist choice.

Looten Plunder fucked around with this message at 15:33 on Jan 11, 2022

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

Looten Plunder posted:

I'd argue it's more interesting. Whilst it might have been the thesis of the initial problem, who would honestly argue that doing nothing isn't a choice? It's an active decision either way, there is no pacifist choice.

I mean yeah, but that's a legitimate argument to make in the problem's original framing. The show opts out of that whole class of questioning.

On the one hand you have questions about pacifism/interventionism, self-sacrifice, free will, etc. And on the other hand you have "do you like the British Royal Family better than the IRS? OK how about Bono vs five trick-or-treating kids? How about your mailman vs five randomly selected people in Tibet? CHOOSE WISELY"

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013

Data Graham posted:

I mean yeah, but that's a legitimate argument to make in the problem's original framing. The show opts out of that whole class of questioning.

On the one hand you have questions about pacifism/interventionism, self-sacrifice, free will, etc. And on the other hand you have "do you like the British Royal Family better than the IRS? OK how about Bono vs five trick-or-treating kids? How about your mailman vs five randomly selected people in Tibet? CHOOSE WISELY"

I don't know if you've seen the entire series before, but unlike a lot of the previous philosophical points raised on the show, which tend to be introduced and then disposed of in the same episode, the trolley problem is a recurring theme throughout the season.

I don't think it handles it well, but I'm also the lone grump on the forum who dislikes the show.

Escobarbarian posted:

I cleaned up my TVIV decade poll writing and posted it to my site. Check it out! https://tombown.com/tom-bowns-favourite-tv-shows-2011-2021-1b0f8b4b2915

You thinking about getting back into writing, Esco? I think you should.

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

I'm in S3 now, so I saw the payoff of the trolley problem as a thing at the end of S2.

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013

Data Graham posted:

I'm in S3 now, so I saw the payoff of the trolley problem as a thing at the end of S2.

IIRC, isn't Michael's solution basically nonsensical?

Mulva
Sep 13, 2011
It's about time for my once per decade ban for being a consistently terrible poster.
It's a rejection of the thesis. The moral answer is to do everything you can to sacrifice yourself. "Yeah but what if you have to." is met with you never have to. You never have to accept that there's nothing you can do. You can always try. Maybe you'll fail, but you still get to make your choice.

e: It's philosophically chickenshit mind you, but it's ethically immaculate.

Mulva fucked around with this message at 16:11 on Jan 11, 2022

MiddleOne
Feb 17, 2011

Bright Bart posted:

I feel like it's the exact same show that we left off with, but then it also has been long while.

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer

Open Source Idiom posted:

You thinking about getting back into writing, Esco? I think you should.

Hey, thanks! That means a lot. I would like to but I do find it so, so difficult. That article took me several weeks on and off, and I really stretched myself coming up with stuff to say. That being said, I am very proud of some of the entries, especially the Mad Men one, and I’m so glad I managed to write it all.

theflyingexecutive
Apr 22, 2007

EL BROMANCE posted:

I like it when a show trusts it’s audience to know and understand common things rather than wasting time explaining it to the lowest common denominator.

It’s refreshing, as so many shows including ones I like (recent example - Always Sunny) will do a good joke, then immediately follow it by referencing it so you understand you just heard a joke and are clear about what it was. No, I got it thanks. And if I didn’t I could’ve just moved on with my life anyway.

Venture Bros and 30 Rock are two of the best shows to trust their audience with jokes. I wish more shows would swing for the fences in terms of joke density

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Some news: Robert Durst, of the HBO documentary phenomenon The Jinx, will not be serving another minute of prison time (he died)

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

Yeah it sucks how he only got sent down in November after all this time, what an rear end.

cant cook creole bream
Aug 15, 2011
I think Fahrenheit is better for weather

roomtone posted:

is there no You thread?

I'm fairly sure there isn't. People have been really lazy with making threads for good shows.

Paracaidas
Sep 24, 2016
Consistently Tedious!
A You thread feels like it's playing with fire... so I'm on board to see where it goes :munch:

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

https://twitter.com/1SpencerGarrett/status/1480783661804912641

A table of kings

https://twitter.com/1SpencerGarrett/status/1480794677863337986

Even better

roomtone
Jul 1, 2021

by Fluffdaddy
i should've made a You thread before i started season 3 then, because i think season 3 is boring as hell and the first two were much better. now i don't care as much except to say i find it strange this season seems to have the best reviews of the 3.

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007
You season 3 was boring b/c he just slips through anything and dude's way overdue for an axing but they just keep giving him an asspull to do another one. It's not even like Dexter where you can comfortably delude yourself into being cool with it because he's only killing even worse dudes. He's a creep you hate from the getgo and feel gross being in his head and actively root for his downfall. The best part were the weird couple, their imprisonment had a lot of entertaining moments, I liked her playing the bff role even while captive and then also figuring out they would never trust each other to not have a hidden out stored in there. His mustache twirling "everything going exactly according to my plan" kind of final plan was really pushings things and I hope 4's the last for definitive dead/jail reasons.

Data Graham posted:

trolley thing

I have not considered the question from the angle you're proposing and my first though is "would anyone buy that?" I definitely would not and the premise of that perspective seems to me to be about people wanting to dodge or absolve themselves unduly of responsibility. Especially in the context of The Good Place where there is a point accountability system and people are aware they flunked life. I suppose there are alternate takes on the premise but they seem like ones that should wind you up in the Bad Place and things some of these people got there in the first place for stuff like that. I think the natural thing for someone who would try and argue they can choose not to do anything and thus wash their hands clean of it to be a total horseshit excuse and you'd be like "gently caress you buddy, go to hell" and yeah he probably would as he should.

swickles
Aug 21, 2006

I guess that I don't need that though
Now you're just some QB that I used to know
I saw the first two episodes of Abbot Elementary, it was ok but has potential. I also watched the first 3 episodes of Grand Crew and I really liked it. I also will watch Nicole Beyer in anything, so its neat that she is on the black version of Friends.

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant

swickles posted:

the black version of Friends.
You mean Friends, the white version of

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

That reminds me that it's really weird that none of the women on Friends worked in journalism or a magazine. That was the go-to for women in 90s shows.

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007
I haven't finished this video but I'm getting the feeling he's going to lay out how fucknig stupid it was that the "apple" was one of the big fuckin puzzles of the book (can't remember it but the clue was isaac newton plus other apple clues" and ever since reading that lovely book have been wanting to hear someone yell about this puzzle literally simpler than poo poo we were solving for goddamn Neopets seasonal events.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xX5IV9n223M

edit: yesss it is

Xiahou Dun
Jul 16, 2009

We shall dive down through black abysses... and in that lair of the Deep Ones we shall dwell amidst wonder and glory forever.

Khanstant posted:

I haven't finished this video but I'm getting the feeling he's going to lay out how fucknig stupid it was that the "apple" was one of the big fuckin puzzles of the book (can't remember it but the clue was isaac newton plus other apple clues" and ever since reading that lovely book have been wanting to hear someone yell about this puzzle literally simpler than poo poo we were solving for goddamn Neopets seasonal events.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xX5IV9n223M

edit: yesss it is

Yuuuup.

What’s up bro who also hated that stupid “riddle”. That video was intensely satisfying on a visceral level.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

Holy poo poo when he flings the poo poo off the desk :lol: