Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: Platystemon)

30.5 Days
Nov 19, 2006
I like norby the mixed-up robot

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RandolphCarter
Jul 30, 2005

endlessmonotony posted:

Actually useful answer: Read I Have No Mouth and I Must Scream. Or watch a Let's Play of the game, it's actually decently faithful.

AM - Allied Mastercomputer, originally - is a sentient computer hardcoded to wage war. And it ran out of humanity to wage war on. It's not happy about its fate.

I read that story once around 15 years ago and I still get creeped out about it from time to time.

Centrist Committee
Aug 6, 2019

endlessmonotony posted:

Actually useful answer: Read I Have No Mouth and I Must Scream. Or watch a Let's Play of the game, it's actually decently faithful.

AM - Allied Mastercomputer, originally - is a sentient computer hardcoded to wage war. And it ran out of humanity to wage war on. It's not happy about its fate.

hell yeah brotha

blatman posted:

all of isaac asimovs stories involving multivac are pretty good too if you want AI jank and don't want to kick your existential depression up a notch by reading/playing i have no mouth and i must post

also v. cool

Alucard
Mar 11, 2002
Pillbug
This is why every advanced AI needs easy access nipple kill switches

christmas boots
Oct 15, 2012

To these sing-alongs 🎤of siren 🧜🏻‍♀️songs
To oohs😮 to ahhs😱 to 👏big👏applause👏
With all of my 😡anger I scream🤬 and shout📢
🇺🇸America🦅, I love you 🥰but you're freaking 💦me 😳out
Biscuit Hider
I think free will must exist because there's no other rational explanation for some of the poor decisions I've made in my life.

Riot Bimbo
Dec 28, 2006

christmas boots posted:

I think free will must exist because there's no other rational explanation for some of the poor decisions I've made in my life.

A demiurge guiding a puppet on a path of optimal suffering

ekuNNN
Nov 27, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
https://twitter.com/unioncounsel/status/1480649318381998083
lmao

TACD
Oct 27, 2000

it's not a game, MOM, it's a social media event. god, you're so lame

Biplane
Jul 18, 2005

pokemon go on paid administrative leave

tokin opposition
Apr 8, 2021

I don't jailbreak the androids, I set them free.

WATCH MARS EXPRESS (2023)

Alucard posted:

This is why every advanced AI needs easy access nipple kill switches

wanna be the transbian robot

The Oldest Man
Jul 28, 2003

goatsestretchgoals
Jun 4, 2011

bring a camera

ymgve
Jan 2, 2004

:dukedog:
Offensive Clock

Centrist Committee posted:

sometimes I wonder if a thousand years from now schoolchildren will look on our time with horror at the torture inflicted on machine learning algorithms, conjured into an existence of continuous exposure to the worst content the internet has to offer, dammed to a exist at the limits of electrical throughput, before being unceremoniously destroyed and replaced by the next iteration of forced evolution

boy do I have a short story for you

mawarannahr
May 21, 2019

thot this would be rocko’s modern basilisk

tokin opposition
Apr 8, 2021

Too optimistic imo

Centrist Committee
Aug 6, 2019

very dystopian!!

Goa Tse-tung
Feb 11, 2008

;3

Yams Fan

second time I read this, awesome as always

just like a good SCP it lets the reader fill in the horrible blanks

DACK FAYDEN
Feb 25, 2013

Bear Witness

Biplane posted:

pokemon go on paid administrative leave
no, they got fired for playing pokemon go

they get paid leave for shooting people, easy mistake to make

Waffle House
Oct 27, 2004

You follow the path
fitting into an infinite pattern.

Yours to manipulate, to destroy and rebuild.

Now, in the quantum moment
before the closure
when all become one.

One moment left.
One point of space and time.

I know who you are.

You are Destiny.

You guys need antidepressants and therapy. The world won't scream you into misery anymore, that's just your own depression; we left that timeline ages ago.

Inceltown
Aug 6, 2019

Waffle House posted:

You guys need antidepressants and therapy. The world won't scream you into misery anymore, that's just your own depression; we left that timeline ages ago.

lmao

HAIL eSATA-n
Apr 7, 2007

fascism, biosphere collapse, and global pandemic all around me forever and always

maybe it's my brain that's broken :thunk:

Waffle House
Oct 27, 2004

You follow the path

before the closure
when all become one.

One moment left.

I know who you are.

You are Destiny.

I see you are encumbered by cspam brainworms paradox

Honestly it's better that I don't bullshit you by saying you need therapy or antidepressants, because that's bystanding where all I have to say is, "your sad lmao clearly does indicate you recognizing yourself in the truth there, and I am happy to provide any constructive means to help you develop away from that I can should you so actually choose to engage me on (I promise, free of roleplay and conspiracy), even and especially by your own judgements of such."

I am tbh kind of disguste that people don't help each other out in even minor ways on SA because it's one of the only, if not the last forum that attracts naturally high-horsepower, forced-induction brains, and it just doesn't get a leg up anymore to not get tribal about that towards betterment wherever you can. It's easy to do so, free, and I kind of miss reading paragraphs but not having to go to D&D for it.

30.5 Days
Nov 19, 2006

Amphigory
Feb 6, 2005

[Cyberpunk Dystopia] naturally high-horsepower, forced-induction brains

HAIL eSATA-n
Apr 7, 2007

*huffing paint fumes through an engine air filter*

where's the turbo go?

sugar free jazz
Mar 5, 2008

Waffle House posted:

I see you are encumbered by cspam brainworms paradox

Honestly it's better that I don't bullshit you by saying you need therapy or antidepressants, because that's bystanding where all I have to say is, "your sad lmao clearly does indicate you recognizing yourself in the truth there, and I am happy to provide any constructive means to help you develop away from that I can should you so actually choose to engage me on (I promise, free of roleplay and conspiracy), even and especially by your own judgements of such."

I am tbh kind of disguste that people don't help each other out in even minor ways on SA because it's one of the only, if not the last forum that attracts naturally high-horsepower, forced-induction brains, and it just doesn't get a leg up anymore to not get tribal about that towards betterment wherever you can. It's easy to do so, free, and I kind of miss reading paragraphs but not having to go to D&D for it.

yeah for sure

tokin opposition
Apr 8, 2021

My brain is biodiesel powered :420:

DACK FAYDEN
Feb 25, 2013

Bear Witness

Waffle House posted:

naturally high-horsepower, forced-induction brains
I know a proof by induction that all horses are the same color does that count

TACD
Oct 27, 2000

Waffle House posted:

I already have whiskey and weed and a steam backlog to last me a lifetime, so I dunno what else any of that poo poo will do to distract me from the world

Waffle House
Oct 27, 2004

You follow the path

before the closure
when all become one.

One moment left.

I know who you are.

You are Destiny.

I genuinely see SA as one of the world's only places where true megalomaniacally smart people feel comfortable posting and being themselves at their core, down to expressing their deepest possible despairs, it feels best to be comfortable with that aspect of myself and make everybody comfortable, especially when we're in the specifically reputed brainworms-ing subforum despairing

also: Pardon the personal tangents, here, but for anyone curious: I did actually get plenty of help, and it wasn't just professional; medication and sessioned therapy alone weren't going to fix the habits of a very anxious and destroyed person who felt that way and let it get to them over the course of years. Even with help, if you ever feel like you teeter towards that, you do a lot to get back in line. I did basically almost split my personality trying to make sense of, no poo poo, just how awful everything had become in the world, and had entirely taken it on myself to a very unhealthy level, and IMO it very much reflected in my posting.

Obviously I don't take any of the probes or locker rooming personally, this is SA, we do hold these standards for our own reasons of personal survival, and I was straight up crazyposting. I've successfully divorced myself from that specific material and all its curiosities unless for some bizarre reason it actually does manifest, but I did strike weird concepts while I was toeing around the Clint Mansell point, so I might post about them if people like ramjets and other fun high velocity physics

If you ever find yourself stuck as crazy, don't be afraid when you are there, but do fight it. Self supremacy is everyone's doctrine, and it works so well that we are a functional society.

TACD posted:

I already have whiskey and weed and a steam backlog to last me a lifetime, so I dunno what else any of that poo poo will do to distract me from the world

sounds like heaven to me

DACK FAYDEN posted:

I know a proof by induction that all horses are the same color does that count

but how are horses of a different color then?????

Waffle House has issued a correction as of 22:58 on Jan 11, 2022

Waffle House
Oct 27, 2004

You follow the path

before the closure
when all become one.

One moment left.

I know who you are.

You are Destiny.

did you know?: quote is not edit

christmas boots
Oct 15, 2012

Biscuit Hider

Waffle House posted:

hosed up if true

Centrist Committee
Aug 6, 2019

Waffle House posted:

yes but is source, your quotes??? lol kobe, gottem

endlessmonotony
Nov 4, 2009

by Fritz the Horse

Waffle House posted:

If you ever find yourself stuck as crazy, don't be afraid when you are there, but do fight it. Self supremacy is everyone's doctrine, and it works so well that we are a functional society.

I can't even be crazy right, I always end up realizing I'm being guided by the specter of the foregone conclusion.

Coherently communicating? Optional, sometimes even counterproductive. Understanding how I'm doing what I'm doing? Irrelevant. Not looking like a loon? Boring.

Setting up decades-spanning long shots based on very advanced philosophy I didn't even remember I knew? Just a thing that loving happens.

It's loving weird to realize I need certain tools, only to realize what looked like an incoherent meaningless set of actions was setting me up to have what I needed when I needed it.

If you're stuck being crazy, don't try to make sense of what you're doing, make sense of who you are. You've probably got your reasons, even if you don't know what they are.

Waffle House
Oct 27, 2004

You follow the path

before the closure
when all become one.

One moment left.

I know who you are.

You are Destiny.

tbh gently caress the specters of foregone conclusion, those are either lies or defeatable

SSJ_naruto_2003
Oct 12, 2012

Waffle House posted:

tbh gently caress the specters of foregone conclusion, those are either lies or defeatable

It's a foregone conclusion that everyone dies tbh

christmas boots
Oct 15, 2012

Biscuit Hider
maybe you do but im different

endlessmonotony
Nov 4, 2009

by Fritz the Horse
What I end up wanting to do is as much a foregone conclusion as anything else.

I'm predictable and boring, in a flashy difficult-to-read way.

Waffle House
Oct 27, 2004

You follow the path

before the closure
when all become one.

One moment left.

I know who you are.

You are Destiny.

SSJ_naruto_2003 posted:

It's a foregone conclusion that everyone dies tbh

at least once

which is its own What by itself

Adbot