Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Polo-Rican
Jul 4, 2004

emptyquote my posts or die
IMHO Mario Golf is really good. The issues people seem to have with the game ("there's not a lot to do!! it's not worth $60!") don't come from the "mario" part, they come from the "golf" part: golf is a boring as poo poo game with zero variety, strategy, or player interaction - you stand in front of a ball and hit it with a stick. Even if Mario Golf shipped with 90,000 courses, people would still have the sensation that there's not a lot to the game, because there's not much to golf

edit: thinking about it more, nintendo should give up on mario golf and start making mario mini golf. there's more potential fun and strategy to be had in mini golf video games than actual golf video games

Polo-Rican fucked around with this message at 15:57 on Jan 11, 2022

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

Polo-Rican posted:

edit: thinking about it more, nintendo should give up on mario golf and start making mario mini golf. there's more potential fun and strategy to be had in mini golf video games than actual golf video games

Now this is an idea I can get behind

I would absolutely buy a mario mini golf game that feels a bit like Mario Party

Polo-Rican
Jul 4, 2004

emptyquote my posts or die

The Bloop posted:

Now this is an idea I can get behind

i'll start the petition

The reason normal golf is boring is that, in a best-case scenario, you barely interact with the course... you hit the ball over the obstacles. whereas mini golf is all about interacting with obstacles. you could make a bomb-rear end set of mario-themed mini golf courses. gimme bowser's castle mini golf and ghost house mini golf

grieving for Gandalf
Apr 22, 2008

I'm not interested in golf personally. top ten worst Nintendo games ever

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
golf games ftw. i wont stand for this bull poo poo

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
also the main problem i have with the latest mario sports games on the switch is that tehy seem to get that people love it when the sports games have single player content (versus the 3DS and WiiU sports games) but don't really put much effort into that content. like the adventure modes in Super Rush and Aces were OK but short, and there wasn't much in the way of like minigame/challenge/puzzle modes after that.

like there's "not much" to tennis but there's a good reason people really loved Mario Power Tennis but the general consensus on Aces was "it's alright" even though the actual tennis gameplay in Aces was about as good as its ever been. the mario sports stuff is at its best when theres a stupid amount of single player bullshit to do beyond AI matches and maybe a short story mode.

like the Smash Bros games are a good example of how you can cram a multiplayer game full of single player distractions and make a game feel much more substantial

hatty
Feb 28, 2011

Pork Pro
Mario Golf is pretty good imo, just look at Wario no game can be the worst if it contains Wario in a cowboy hat

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Scholars are some of the most pompous and pedantic people I've ever had the joy of meeting.

Social Animal posted:

How's that Blizzard classic bundle? I only care about Lost Vikings, is there anything weird with the port?

Rock 'N Roll Racing is an amazing game.

Silver Falcon
Dec 5, 2005

Two, three, four, five, six, seven, eight and barbecue your own drumsticks!

Polo-Rican posted:

IMHO Mario Golf is really good. The issues people seem to have with the game ("there's not a lot to do!! it's not worth $60!") don't come from the "mario" part, they come from the "golf" part: golf is a boring as poo poo game with zero variety, strategy, or player interaction - you stand in front of a ball and hit it with a stick. Even if Mario Golf shipped with 90,000 courses, people would still have the sensation that there's not a lot to the game, because there's not much to golf

Yeah this. I have never understood why there aren't more mini-golf games. I can think of... two(?) off the top of my head, and both were on PC and also old as poo poo. Why aren't there a million mini-golf games with wacky themed courses and obstacles, etc.? Kind of like there were a million pinball boards based on every remotely well-known movie back in the day.

American McGay
Feb 28, 2010

by sebmojo

Ineptitude posted:

Yes, this is the first of the 2 major issues. The kids don't get the idea of a CPU player, it feels like an antagonist or a badguy, an irrational fear akin to monster under the bed or w/e.

That is possible, but shouldn't be necessary. It is also not that fun to be "forced" to play a board piece that isn't "yours"

Not the ones we have played. 3 was possible.
If you google the topic you just come across a bunch of Nintendo apologists saying that in particular the minigames wouldn't work with just 3 players, even though they are very similar to the Wii version and those minigames worked just fine with 3.

The very easy CPU steamrolls young children dude.
This is the second of the 2 biggest issues with this. Even if my kids were ok with the idea of a CPU player he beats them in the minigames so the game ends up not being fun to play. When we play on the Wii i mostly let the kids succeed, on harder minigames i will play withe 4 year old's controller. It is always one of them winning the total. On Switch if i don't play my own player the CPU will win almost every minigame.
:laugh::cawg::holy:

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
i could easily 1v1 that dude's kids. it would frankly not even be a contest

Oscar Wild
Apr 11, 2006

It's good to be a G
Tiny metal is 7.50 in the US store. Is it a better advance wars clone than War groove? Smaller maps and achievable turn based strategy? Or should I just wait for advance wars?

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.

Silver Falcon posted:

Yeah this. I have never understood why there aren't more mini-golf games. I can think of... two(?) off the top of my head, and both were on PC and also old as poo poo. Why aren't there a million mini-golf games with wacky themed courses and obstacles, etc.? Kind of like there were a million pinball boards based on every remotely well-known movie back in the day.

because minigolf removes a lot of the things people like about golf games like judging wind/launch angle/club selection. also because japanese people love golf games i think.

that said i am totally for more silly mini-golf stuff but i think it's silly to say that it's more substantial than golf just because obstacles

16-bit Butt-Head
Dec 25, 2014
well call me a nintendo apologist... because i like nintendo

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

I will always apologize for Nintendo. I will always apologize to Nintendo. In the future as individuals we will have to select a corporation to serve as our daimyo. Put in your service now for preferred treatment

Stux
Nov 17, 2006

Feels Villeneuve posted:

yup. was a lso thinking this

16-bit Butt-Head
Dec 25, 2014
just lol if your childhood isnt filled with memories of being driven to tears because you kept dying in super mario

16-bit Butt-Head fucked around with this message at 20:41 on Jan 11, 2022

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

My child driven to tears by a Mario level he himself made

Bleck
Jan 7, 2014

No matter how one loves, there are always different aims. Love can take a great many forms, whatever the era.
I've been good at Mario games since I was like 5 but this was likely at the expense of the development all of my other skills so who really knows what matters here

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

🚣RowboatMan: ❄️Freezing time🕰️ is an old P.I. 🥧trick...

John Wick of Dogs posted:

Got a good :lol: at this, thank you.

16-bit Butt-Head
Dec 25, 2014

thats the mario maker 2 experience

Mega64
May 23, 2008

I took the octopath less travelered,

And it made one-eighth the difference.

Your Computer posted:

why did no one notify me, personally, that there is a new picross s

It's your own fault for not obsessively checking for the new Picross S every day like the rest of us.

grieving for Gandalf posted:

I'm not interested in golf personally. top ten worst Nintendo games ever

Please don't insult Iwata's soul like that, it's trapped in your Switch and can hear you.

:discourse:

Silver Falcon
Dec 5, 2005

Two, three, four, five, six, seven, eight and barbecue your own drumsticks!

Feels Villeneuve posted:

because minigolf removes a lot of the things people like about golf games like judging wind/launch angle/club selection. also because japanese people love golf games i think.

that said i am totally for more silly mini-golf stuff but i think it's silly to say that it's more substantial than golf just because obstacles

Golf is boring and mini-golf is infinitely better. I'm sorry you had to find out this way.

Xad
Jul 2, 2009

"Either Sonic is God, or could kill God, and I do not care if there is a difference!"

College Slice

Silver Falcon posted:

Golf With Your Friends is an extremely stupid (in a good way) mini golf game that came out semi-recently on every available thing

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames
They announced the Ezio Auditore trilogy coming to Switch!!! Holy gently caress, an Assassin’s Creed game I might buy in 2022!!!

Chas McGill
Oct 29, 2010

loves Fat Philippe
I'm impressed with Ring Fit Adventure. The motion tracking keeps you honest and the range of exercises is pretty good. I've hit myself in the baws a couple times when doing the ab guard. 10/10

Bleck
Jan 7, 2014

No matter how one loves, there are always different aims. Love can take a great many forms, whatever the era.
The greatest golf game ever made is Kirby's Dream Course and it's frankly appalling that we never got a sequel to it.

16-bit Butt-Head
Dec 25, 2014

Bleck posted:

The greatest golf game ever made is Kirby's Dream Course and it's frankly appalling that we never got a sequel to it.

:hai:

Inzombiac
Mar 19, 2007

PARTY ALL NIGHT

EAT BRAINS ALL DAY

Bleck posted:

Empty loving Quote

Thank god it's on the online sub, though.

An Actual Princess
Dec 23, 2006

been thinking Wintendo lately

beer gas canister
Oct 30, 2007

shmups are da best come play some shmups they're cheap and good and you like them
Plaster Town Cop

Huxley posted:

Finished the third tower early in Shiren, made it to the second village and did some housework, registered a weapon, then thought I saved. Relaunched the game this morning and was back at the first city again with an empty inventory because swapping to a different game apparently still registered as a death.

Very confused.

This is the worst feature of Shiren imo. You have to complete the save process to the point where it bounces you out to the main menu, then quit, or else it assumes that you're attempting to save scum. All of the Shiren games do it.

Huxley
Oct 10, 2012

Grimey Drawer

beer gas canister posted:

This is the worst feature of Shiren imo. You have to complete the save process to the point where it bounces you out to the main menu, then quit, or else it assumes that you're attempting to save scum. All of the Shiren games do it.

Noted. Thank you!

BigDumper
Feb 15, 2008

Feels Villeneuve posted:

You could just tell them that you’re a computer and apparently they would forfeit. Gg no re

mistermojo
Jul 3, 2004

the only bad thing about Picross is that I'm so good at it (because I'm so smart and perceptive) that its like going through the motions for the first half of the puzzles

Pungry
Feb 26, 2011

JUST PICK ONE. ANY ONE.

Polo-Rican posted:

Funny thing is that Mario Golf 64, the first Mario Golf game, had mini golf in it. It just never got brought back for whatever reason.

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
the one everyone likes is the GC one. i think "actually golf games are simply inherently bad, so the game is good" is not a very good response to complaints about Super Rush

Pungry
Feb 26, 2011

JUST PICK ONE. ANY ONE.

Feels Villeneuve posted:

the one everyone likes is the GC one. i think "actually golf games are simply inherently bad, so the game is good" is not a very good response to complaints about Super Rush

Everyone likes Toadstool Tour and World Tour, which was for the 3DS. World Tour is extremely good, and I highly recommend it.

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!
The Mario golf game just gets goons really defensive.

Don’t really understand why

16-bit Butt-Head
Dec 25, 2014

CharlestheHammer posted:

The Mario golf game just gets goons really defensive.

Don’t really understand why

mario golf is good

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!

16-bit Butt-Head posted:

mario golf is good

See this is what I mean

So weird