Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

SeanBeansShako
Nov 20, 2009

Now the Drums beat up again,
For all true Soldier Gentlemen.
I mean they are made for the Scientist on the go!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

tarlibone
Aug 1, 2014

it's in the mighty hands of steel
Fun Shoe

TK-42-1 posted:

Holy poo poo. Nice one

Thanks! No fad diet, just counting calories, carbs (but not too Adkins or keto levels; more of a classic diabetic diet), and working out. Took a good while to lose it, but since it wasn't rapid, I've had a better time keeping it off.

And, on that note,

feedmyleg posted:

Still can't believe how great the powder blue velour flared-leg speedsuit I found in a used clothing warehouse in Kansas City a decade ago is. Used it for a Brock-Jacket Hank costume in college but also have worn it to a number of events where dressing up like a sleazebag from the 70s was encouraged.

I'm not as big a fan of velour as you are, Brannigan. But, for my last super-heavy Halloween, I made a Henchman 21 costume. I could now pull of Henchman 24!

deong
Jun 13, 2001

I'll see you in heck!

tarlibone posted:

And, on that note,

I'm not as big a fan of velour as you are, Brannigan. But, for my last super-heavy Halloween, I made a Henchman 21 costume. I could now pull of Henchman 24!

Hell ya! I hope you do it and post one of them 'then and now' pics!

Pershing
Feb 21, 2010

John "Black Jack" Pershing
Hard Fucking Core

deong posted:

Hell ya! I hope you do it and post one of them 'then and now' pics!

Rusty before and after J.J. was removed.

limp_cheese
Sep 10, 2007

Nothing to see here. Move along.

tarlibone posted:

Thanks! No fad diet, just counting calories, carbs (but not too Adkins or keto levels; more of a classic diabetic diet), and working out. Took a good while to lose it, but since it wasn't rapid, I've had a better time keeping it off.

And, on that note,

You can still do henchman 21 after losing the weight as long as you get the "Hench 4 Life" tatoo and say its after 24's death.

Alan_Shore
Dec 2, 2004

deong posted:

Just go dickies
Dickies Men's Short-Sleeve Coverall https://www.amazon.com/dp/B005FQNL9G/

No see this just looks like you're working in a garage. I'm after a stylish speed suit, something that has a certain je ne sais quoi

I don't know what it is but I'll know it when I see it! Rusty certainly doesn't wear a Dickies

Hedrigall
Mar 27, 2008

by vyelkin

gently caress I wish I saw this before Christmas

I have all the VB Christmas songs lined up as an album in iTunes and I listen to it at least 8-10 times every holiday season

InsensitiveSeaBass
Apr 1, 2008

You're entering a realm which is unusual. Maybe it's magic, or contains some kind of monster... The second one. Prepare to enter The Scary Door.
Nap Ghost

Hedrigall posted:

gently caress I wish I saw this before Christmas

I have all the VB Christmas songs lined up as an album in iTunes and I listen to it at least 8-10 times every holiday season

I can never listen to the real version of "Feed the World" without hearing the characters in my mind.

Thanks God!

Machai
Feb 21, 2013

Alan_Shore posted:

No see this just looks like you're working in a garage. I'm after a stylish speed suit, something that has a certain je ne sais quoi

I don't know what it is but I'll know it when I see it! Rusty certainly doesn't wear a Dickies

I think it's the belt. That adds a certain flair and helps it look like it is two pieces.

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004
It's the fit. A speedsuit is a fitted garment that compliments the human form. Dickies are the sweatpants of onesies.

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

The piping on the Explorer model might be too showy.

Dracula Factory
Sep 7, 2007

There was some panel, I think NYCC, where Doc and Jackson had some custom speed suits on that honestly looked kinda cool, they could conceivably work.

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004
They dress like that every day and no piece of evidence you present will make me believe otherwise :colbert:

LividLiquid
Apr 13, 2002

Let's all smoking!

Guy A. Person
May 23, 2003

LividLiquid posted:

Let's all smoking!

Do you smoke cigarettes or eat them?

pixaal
Jan 8, 2004

All ice cream is now for all beings, no matter how many legs.

Guy A. Person posted:

Do you smoke cigarettes or eat them?

I love this quote because I had a coworker that took craps that smelled like cigarettes. No they didn't smoke in the bathroom this is from when people went along with vape pens are fine in an office. He was always in a cloud of fairly neutral smelling vapor.

He did smoke menthols at home though.

Comrade Quack
Jun 6, 2006
Witty closing remarks have been replaced by massive head trauma and general stupidity.
Watch the new Jurassic World trailer and see if you can make it through without quoting Venture Libre - RIP Turu

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=fb5ELWi-ekk

Edit: On a re-watch that seems very intentional.

Comrade Quack fucked around with this message at 10:19 on Feb 11, 2022

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004
To be fair, the Jonny Quest scene they're both referencing is the most iconic on-screen image of a pteranodon.

Comrade Quack
Jun 6, 2006
Witty closing remarks have been replaced by massive head trauma and general stupidity.
I watched that Jonny Quest episode last night out of curiosity. There’s no point where they’re in a plane, all of that menacing takes place with them on a boat, in the forest, or in jet packs.

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004
Huh! Who knew. I could have sworn I've seen that image somewhere, but maybe it was on some print material or whatnot. Or maybe VB's imagery is just that iconic!

Comrade Quack
Jun 6, 2006

feedmyleg posted:

Huh! Who knew. I could have sworn I've seen that image somewhere, but maybe it was on some print material or whatnot. Or maybe VB's imagery is just that iconic!

It’s the Season 5 cover art, so you have seen a still image of it in a different art style. My Jonny Quest knowledge isn’t that deep, but there’s only one episode that seems to fit.

Warbird
May 23, 2012

America's Favorite Dumbass

Turns out it was a Real Adventures of Johnny Quest thing. Go figure.

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004
Ah, that makes sense! I just watched that episode a few weeks ago out of curiosity after having not seen Real Adventures since it first aired.

e: It actually had way more classic Quest DNA in it than I remembered. I disliked it when it was airing because I adored the original show and it didn't feel classic enough to me. Plus I hated all the VR nonsense. Going back it was really fun, but I still wanted to fast forward when Questworld popped up.

Kickin rad theme song, too.

feedmyleg fucked around with this message at 21:52 on Feb 11, 2022

Comrade Quack
Jun 6, 2006
Which episode? I’m having trouble finding anything other than the original.

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004
Hm. I'm pretty comfortable saying "don't listen to me" because I was very high when I watched them and I could still be mixing up memory and imagery from different shows and eras. I thought it was In the Realm of the Condor but looking at that again it's just massive condors that grab people out of the air.

e: the wiki says Turu is just in the OG, so yeah I've definitely got brain problems.

feedmyleg fucked around with this message at 22:32 on Feb 11, 2022

Warbird
May 23, 2012

America's Favorite Dumbass

feedmyleg posted:

Ah, that makes sense! I just watched that episode a few weeks ago out of curiosity after having not seen Real Adventures since it first aired.

e: It actually had way more classic Quest DNA in it than I remembered. I disliked it when it was airing because I adored the original show and it didn't feel classic enough to me. Plus I hated all the VR nonsense. Going back it was really fun, but I still wanted to fast forward when Questworld popped up.

Kickin rad theme song, too.

Oh sorry, I was joking as RA was always some weird dumb offshoot of the series to me. I have no idea if that is actually in there or not.

I should rewatch TRAJQ.

Naylenas
Sep 11, 2003

I was out of my head so it was out of my hands

Super Crooks, an anime on netflix, is giving me venture brothers vibes. People all over the US are gaining various superpowers and going good or bad. Large enough cities have their own hero, and the protagonists are a few young down on their luck villains. The themes and tone are similar, and it has a good sense of humor. Warning: exceedingly horny opening theme.

Sockser
Jun 28, 2007

This world only remembers the results!

the Harley Quinn show also has some heavy Venture Bros vibes, though I've never been able to place my finger on why. I think it's the writing style and how the dialogue flows, or maybe it's that Kite Man and King Shark and Bane are main characters

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sBs7Vc0FYmw

Barry Foster
Dec 24, 2007

What is going wrong with that one (face is longer than it should be)

Sockser posted:

the Harley Quinn show also has some heavy Venture Bros vibes, though I've never been able to place my finger on why. I think it's the writing style and how the dialogue flows, or maybe it's that Kite Man and King Shark and Bane are main characters

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sBs7Vc0FYmw

It's also just the whole concept of heroes n villains as being essentially a self-sustaining industry. That and the character dynamics are similar

(relatively) tangentially, my partner - who is usually not massively into nerd poo poo - got hardcore into Harley Quinn. I got her to watch VB - it took her til the end of the second series, but it's clicked for her now just as much. There's a lot of shared DNA between them.

Pope Guilty
Nov 6, 2006

The human animal is a beautiful and terrible creature, capable of limitless compassion and unfathomable cruelty.
At some point you have to ask "What makes costume poo poo appeal to people? What kind of people find it a plausible and natural thing to do, and what are they like?" and The Venture Brothers and Harley Quinn have very similar answers to those questions.

ruddiger
Jun 3, 2004

Toby Danger’s dad looks like he could be Jonas’ cool uncle.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WhkLFN2uAr8

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.

Pope Guilty posted:

At some point you have to ask "What makes costume poo poo appeal to people? What kind of people find it a plausible and natural thing to do, and what are they like?" and The Venture Brothers and Harley Quinn have very similar answers to those questions.

I think a lot of it comes down to the whole superhero genre being contemporary, taking place in a 'real' world where magic and madness exist on the fringes and do their weird things all the time- basically a modern-day fantasy. And like Venture Bros, Harley Quinn is a pastiche of such that lowers the scope from grand battles and shows what it's like to actually live in such a world and the quirks, silliness and weirdness of living life as a costumed weirdo among other costumed weirdos.

Sockser
Jun 28, 2007

This world only remembers the results!

Ghost Leviathan posted:

I think a lot of it comes down to the whole superhero genre being contemporary, taking place in a 'real' world where magic and madness exist on the fringes and do their weird things all the time- basically a modern-day fantasy. And like Venture Bros, Harley Quinn is a pastiche of such that lowers the scope from grand battles and shows what it's like to actually live in such a world and the quirks, silliness and weirdness of living life as a costumed weirdo among other costumed weirdos.

Servaetes
Sep 10, 2003

False enemy or true friend?
I dunno man, this Harley Quinn show seems like it's trying entirely too hard to be funny

Riven
Apr 22, 2002
Who’s Bang now Todd???

…it is funny.

theflyingexecutive
Apr 22, 2007

HQ has really lazy writing and repeatedly falls back on the dry well of film industry jokes.

Mr. Lobe
Feb 23, 2007

... Dry bones...

HQ is by necessity lower brow. Not all shows can be written by publick and hammer

Guy A. Person
May 23, 2003

Harley Quinn got a lot of comparisons to VB probably just cause of the long gaps between seasons and people being hungry for content. It’s not really that similar but it’s good in its own way. Humor is closer to something like Deadpool tho.

Riven
Apr 22, 2002
Yeah, I’m not saying it’s as good as VB but it’s funny. It’s good and clearly influenced by VB the same way Duck Tales is. The comic run bridging seasons 2 and 3 that just finished is also good.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SeanBeansShako
Nov 20, 2009

Now the Drums beat up again,
For all true Soldier Gentlemen.
It's cynical but self aware with a balance of low brow comedy and dry satire.

Clearly it is The Simpsons from the nineties really.