Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Cthulu Carl
Apr 16, 2006

Soylent Pudding posted:

AITA for enforcing my house rules on my wife's brother?

Lmao imagine trying to tell a 20 year old who isn't even your kid "You have to be home by 8 PM" and wondering why they're mad at you.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Canuckistan
Jan 14, 2004

I'm the greatest thing since World War III.

Soiled Meat

Sir Sidney Poitier posted:

I'm guessing the OP has another primary caregiver because surely she didn't learn her empathy from the mother.

I'd be curious if OP's mother was always like this or if this is a fairly new behaviour. Losing your social filter can be a sign of a neurological disorder such as frontotemporal dementia.

Boba Pearl
Dec 27, 2019

by Athanatos
A 20 year old whose DAD JUST loving DIED

sugar free jazz
Mar 5, 2008

Canuckistan posted:

I'd be curious if OP's mother was always like this or if this is a fairly new behaviour. Losing your social filter can be a sign of a neurological disorder such as frontotemporal dementia.

yeah, the mom calling a lady fat is probably most likely frontotemporal dementia

sephiRoth IRA
Jun 13, 2007

"Science is not only compatible with spirituality; it is a profound source of spirituality."

-Carl Sagan

Boba Pearl posted:

Who is only 10 years younger than the square laying out the rules

kntfkr
Feb 11, 2019

GOOSE FUCKER

Soylent Pudding posted:

AITA for making my mother apologise to a woman she called fat?

LOL this reminds me of this graphic designer I used to work with. he's Vietnamese. Him and his mom were shopping in an Asian food market in Philly. They get to the register and the cashier starts ringing stuff up and the mom starts in in Vietnamese about how slow this kid is, i think he's retarded, he's fat too, looks dirty, do you think he washes his hands? and the cashier says in Vietnamese "I...I'm sorry :( " and my friend's like "MOM!!! APOLOGIZE" and the mom says "What?! He's really slow."

keep punching joe
Jan 22, 2006

Die Satan!

Boba Pearl posted:

I'm your dad now kid, and until you're 21 you're grounded. My house, my rules.

poisonpill
Nov 8, 2009

The only way to get huge fast is to insult a passing witch and hope she curses you with Beast-strength.

Boba Pearl posted:

But on the other hand, aunt likes to “stir the pot” so it’s impossible to say who’s wrong

E: oh th are the OTHER 20 yr old with a just dies father. So does everyone over 40 just have brain damage or something? They were brainwashed with a “never disrespect your elders” and everyone under 30 was brainwashed with “you can literally never break up with anyone ever

poisonpill fucked around with this message at 17:00 on Jan 11, 2022

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I WILL CUT OFF BOTH OF MY ARMS BEFORE I VOTE FOR ANYONE THAT IS MORE POPULAR THAN BERNIE!!!!!
My mother thought I was going to get murdered by a serial killer or drive-by shooting gangbanger if I walked a block over to my grandparents' house after dark, and even I didn't have an 8pm curfew, drat

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.

poisonpill posted:

But on the other hand, aunt likes to “stir the pot” so it’s impossible to say who’s wrong

E: oh th are the OTHER 20 yr old with a just dies father. So does everyone over 40 just have brain damage or something? They were brainwashed with a “never disrespect your elders” and everyone under 30 was brainwashed with “you can literally never break up with anyone ever

Also lead poisoning.

Chef Boyardeez Nuts
Sep 9, 2011

The more you kick against the pricks, the more you suffer.
8 p.m. sounds like a perfect normal curfew for an adult lmao

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

kntfkr posted:

LOL this reminds me of this graphic designer I used to work with. he's Vietnamese. Him and his mom were shopping in an Asian food market in Philly. They get to the register and the cashier starts ringing stuff up and the mom starts in in Vietnamese about how slow this kid is, i think he's retarded, he's fat too, looks dirty, do you think he washes his hands? and the cashier says in Vietnamese "I...I'm sorry :( " and my friend's like "MOM!!! APOLOGIZE" and the mom says "What?! He's really slow."

My mom was born in Canada but to hungarian parents so speaks it. She was on a random bus somewhere in Calgary when she was a teen along with a friend who was also hungarian. In front of them was a fat old lady and they decided to just be horrible lovely teens and rip into this lady in hungarian the whole way, about how fat and stinky and ugly she was, just full on all the worst poo poo 13 year old girls can say.. When the lady got off the bus she wished them a good morning in hungarian. My mom was so embarrassed and ashamed she cried.

kntfkr
Feb 11, 2019

GOOSE FUCKER
my house, my rules

kntfkr
Feb 11, 2019

GOOSE FUCKER

Baronjutter posted:

My mom was born in Canada but to hungarian parents so speaks it. She was on a random bus somewhere in Calgary when she was a teen along with a friend who was also hungarian. In front of them was a fat old lady and they decided to just be horrible lovely teens and rip into this lady in hungarian the whole way, about how fat and stinky and ugly she was, just full on all the worst poo poo 13 year old girls can say.. When the lady got off the bus she wished them a good morning in hungarian. My mom was so embarrassed and ashamed she cried.

jesus, no crueler animal in the world than a 13 year old girl except for some 10 year old boys

The Glumslinger
Sep 24, 2008

Coach Nagy, you want me to throw to WHAT side of the field?

Hair Elf
https://mobile.twitter.com/Not_CharLatte/status/1480707423631548416

carry on then
Jul 10, 2010

by VideoGames

(and can't post for 10 years!)

ace ventura reboot looking NC-17 rated

greazeball
Feb 4, 2003

Chef Boyardeez Nuts posted:

Dinner is at 5:30 and you can go out again after you eat all your vegetables.

Pookah
Aug 21, 2008

🪶Caw🪶

Soylent Pudding posted:

Earpuds?

Earpuds.

Tarkus
Aug 27, 2000

Chef Boyardeez Nuts posted:

In the comments he states that 8pm isn't a curfew, it's just a house rule to be back by that time. I fail to see the difference.

keep punching joe
Jan 22, 2006

Die Satan!
His wife is going to post in the thread, and reveal that the OP has blown up his marriage over this dumb issue.

WoodrowSkillson
Feb 24, 2005

*Gestures at 60 years of Lions history*

This chick owns

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

🎧Listen to Cylindricule!🎵
https://linktr.ee/Cylindricule

It would be endearing but that vagina has terrible breath

hawowanlawow
Jul 27, 2009

but which direction is she facing when she does it

AreWeDrunkYet
Jul 8, 2006

Tarkus posted:

In the comments he states that 8pm isn't a curfew, it's just a house rule to be back by that time. I fail to see the difference.

Whuch makes it sound like he has a curfew for his wife, which isn't a red flag at all.

Xachariah
Jul 26, 2004

Soylent Pudding posted:

Lmao at that 30 year old thinking he gets to treat a 20 year old guest like his future estranged kids.

Big "20 year old married to a 40 year old who tries to be a step-parent to their 19 year old step-child" energy there.

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

This particularly rapid💨 unintelligible 😖patter💁 isn't generally heard🧏‍♂️, and if it is🤔, it doesn't matter💁.

AITA for not wanting my wife to take part in designing the basement?

quote:

I (26M) just got married to my wife (25F) back in September. My wife and I have been saving and investing throughout high school and college, so we were able to close on a really nice house. The house is 2800 sq. ft and comes with 5 bedrooms, 3.5 bathrooms, a finished basement, a back patio with a hot tub, and a kitchenette. We bought this house as we are hoping to raise a family in this house.

So we have two living areas, the basement living area and the main floor living room. I figured my wife would want to take priority over the main floor, so I said that she could design the main floor living room the way she would like as well as the master bedroom, but I wanted to design the basement living area the way that I want.

My wife asked why she can’t help with the basement, so I told her that I wanted to turn the space into a man cave, so whenever I invite friends over we would have a place to hang out. My wife was angry when I mentioned what the space would be used for and she said that she did not want to space to be turned into a man cave and that we both had to agree on how the basement living area would be designed and what it would be used for.

I was a little irritated after hearing this and so I told my wife that I am letting her design the living area and master bedroom 100% the way that she wants, and that I just wanted the basement living area to be completely the way I want. I also added that since we currently have no children and are not expecting one at the moment that she could use any of the bedrooms for something extra. After I said that my wife start guilt tripping me saying that she was offended that I was “excluding” her and how this is not just my house, but how it’s our house.

I haven’t started anything yet in terms of designing the basement living area, but I really want a space in the house that’s kind of my own and is designed the way that I want. I’ve tried explaining this to my wife but she keeps saying that I’m being selfish so I wanted to know if I am really being an rear end in a top hat here.

EDIT: Many people have suggested that I take one of the empty bedrooms and use that as a man cave rather than the whole basement living area. I think this is actually a good idea and I will bring this to my wife and see what she thinks. I will also ask what she was planning on using that basement living area for.

EDIT 2: So far it looks like almost everyone agrees that I am an rear end in a top hat. I can see why I was wrong here and I was definitely excluding my wife here. I plan on apologizing to my wife as well as asking her what she would like to do.

EDIT 3: Ok so this post blew up overnight so I will give everyone a quick update. I apologized to my wife for excluding her and getting ahead of myself. I also talked to my wife and asked what she wanted to do with the house. She said that she's fine with me taking the basement bedrooms to be used as a man cave, while she will use the upstairs bedrooms for her own space. The basement living area will be used as a home theater, and my wife also said she would like for me to be involved in designing the rest of the house (living room, master bedroom, kitchen, laundry room, etc.). I really do see now why my original plan was just not a good idea
Happy ending, yay! Except that I despise the term and concept of "man cave".
WIBTA For Going on a Trip Despite Being Asked Not To

quote:

My husband has a family friend that has a house in Milan. He has offered for us to stay at his house multiple times and that we are always welcome. We live in Stockholm and my brother is coming to visit me at the end of the month. He has never left the United States before, and it is also his birthday during the trip. I wanted to surprise him with a trip to Milan for his birthday, and since the stay would be free I would only need to pay for the flight as a birthday gift. I thought this would be so perfect and a great present for him.

The problem comes when BIL and SIL find out my plans to take my brother there. They were planning their honeymoon to Milan in September and were planning on utilizing the family friend's home. They asked me to consider going somewhere else because they wanted to be the first in the family to go to Milan and to have a special place no one has been to for their honeymoon.

While I absolutely understand wanting your honeymoon to be special, I feel like you can't ask someone to not go to a specific city because you are planning to go there and want to be the first to go. In addition, it is just me and my brother going, my husband cannot go due to work. So we would not be doing any of the romantic things I am sure they are planning on doing. They are adamant that they are in the right, and while they have said "we can't tell you where to go or not to go" they have made comments that they probably would not go to Milan for their honeymoon if I went with my brother.

I just need to know that I'm not going crazy over here, I feel like it's absolutely nuts to gatekeep an entire city for yourself? But WIBTA if I basically say gently caress off I'm going with my brother?

AITA for referring to the money that my girlfriend used to help me pay my rent as “dirty money” after I found out how she was getting it?

quote:

So my(21) girlfriend(23) and I have been together for 2 years. She is a fitness influencer who makes money from sponsorships. I’m a student and do a work study on campus and get a stipend from my university. She makes the most money out of either of us.

Because of current events my university is going online and the building I worked at is now closed indefinitely since December first. Because of that, I’m no longer getting payed for my work study. When I was, my stipend and pay was just enough to cover my rent and groceries.

I was able to pay for December but not January. I had been keeping this to myself, I don’t want my girlfriend to know I’m having money troubles for obvious reasons, but I couldn’t afford to spoil her for Christmas if I wanted to have a roof. I told her I was really struggling with money and she told me not to worry about my rent and she’d take care of it for the time being.

I knew she was making bank, but I didn’t know she had so much money. We don’t really talk about finances, but I asked her and she explained why she had so much extra money. She asked me to promise I wouldn’t be weirded out. She told me that along with her ad money, she also has been dabbling in selling pictures of her feet and has made a poo poo ton of money.

So my initial reaction was disgust. I don’t have a problem with sex work, but I do think it’s gross to have a girlfriend that’s doing sex work and that guys jack off to pictures she sends them.

I reacted what I think was kindly. I told her I appreciated what she did for me and how kind it was, but I’d rather not have my girlfriend getting paying my rent with “dirty money”. She got upset, she said that the money wasn’t dirty, it was just money. I said the money was dirty since she’s making it through sex work. She said that feet pictures were barely sexual to her and that she didn’t even have her face in the pictures.

I told her that I’d be finding another job and for her to not pay my rent. She called me a stubborn dickhead and told me that I need to accept her help with things I can’t do myself.

AITA?

EDIT- Before everyone says it, neither of us feel this is a break up worthy issue. This happened at the end of December, if it was she would’ve dumped me or at least stopped wanting to see me. So don’t suggest I dump her, and don’t harass me about her dumping me

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

If only all of life's problems could be solved by smoking a professor of ancient evil texts.

Bread Liar

Arsenic Lupin posted:

AITA for referring to the money that my girlfriend used to help me pay my rent as “dirty money” after I found out how she was getting it?

I don’t have a problem with sex work, but I do think it’s gross to have a girlfriend that’s doing sex work

:thunk:

datajugend
Jan 15, 2010

:minnie: Cat Army :minnie:
Give me your city?!

El Spamo
Aug 21, 2003

Fuss and misery

Arsenic Lupin posted:

This is so weird, who cares about where someone goes on their honeymoon?

quote:

"I don’t have a problem with sex work, but"
yes you do

Neito
Feb 18, 2009

😌Finally, an avatar the describes my love of tech❤️‍💻, my love of anime💖🎎, and why I'll never see a real girl 🙆‍♀️naked😭.

Soylent Pudding posted:

OP posted:

Trust me this isn't about control, why woupd I want to control him? I just expected him to respect the rules now that he's aware of them that is all but he seemed to be ignoring me and everything I have to say so I say it over and over again.

"I'm not trying to control him, I'm just trying to dictate his every move and moment with dumbass rules being applied blindly to both a 14 and a 20 year old without regard for the differences between those two!"

WoodrowSkillson
Feb 24, 2005

to be fair a partner is allowed to not consent to the other doing sex work if they are not comfortable with it, manifesting as them breaking up or whatever, not trying to stop the person doing SW
dude is still dumb though

Pope Corky the IX
Dec 18, 2006

What are you looking at?
So being a swimsuit model is sex work?

WoodrowSkillson
Feb 24, 2005

Pope Corky the IX posted:

So being a swimsuit model is sex work?

selling feet pics is not the same as being a swimsuit model

hawowanlawow
Jul 27, 2009

Arsenic Lupin posted:

Happy ending, yay! Except that I despise the term and concept of "man cave".

OP should go to every plaza and church in Milan and do insta posts of them air humping

Pope Corky the IX
Dec 18, 2006

What are you looking at?

WoodrowSkillson posted:

selling feet pics is not the same as being a swimsuit model

With his way of thinking it is. Selling something that you know men will masturbate to.

EDIT: Which is pretty much loving anything.

Alchenar
Apr 9, 2008

El Spamo posted:

This is so weird, who cares about where someone goes on their honeymoon?

You've got it backwards, the couple going on honeymoon are trying to make that city a no-go area for any of their friends.

Dr. Stab
Sep 12, 2010
👨🏻‍⚕️🩺🔪🙀😱🙀
I'm not saying sex work is wrong, I'm just saying the money earned from sex work is tainted by its association with the disgusting act of sex work.

El Spamo
Aug 21, 2003

Fuss and misery

Alchenar posted:

You've got it backwards, the couple going on honeymoon are trying to make that city a no-go area for any of their friends.

Oh, oops I was a little sloppy about who I was referring to. Yeah, the honeymooning couple are weird for thinking anyone cares where they go, and assholes for dictating other people's vacation plans.

WoodrowSkillson
Feb 24, 2005

Pope Corky the IX posted:

With his way of thinking it is. Selling something that you know men will masturbate to.

EDIT: Which is pretty much loving anything.

Being an swimsuit model and directly selling pictures of yourself to people on the net is also not the same thing. Some dude cracking stick to the SI swimsuit issue is different than Kate Upton selling her pictures to dudes through onlyfans. And even in the case of the model, its within someone's rights to not be comfortable with sharing their partner with the wider world in that manner. but that is a them problem, not something they should seek to change about their partner/potential partner.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Benagain
Oct 10, 2007

Can you see that I am serious?
Fun Shoe
that also feels like something I'd wanna give a partner a heads up on, like if I was offered a ton of money for pictures of my feet my wife would probably be absolutely fine with it but I would also make her aware of it before I went whole hog.