Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

TeaJay
Oct 9, 2012

Oh! it's so close

and KLM with an unfortunate death there

e: What a great race

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MatchaZed
Feb 14, 2010

We Can Do It!

BlankSystemDaemon posted:

AGDQ 2022 is going places.

That's COVID inflation baby!

Blank Construct
Jan 20, 2010

Shepard.

Nap Ghost
5 hour ffxiii run, time to catch up with the good stuff I missed.

TeaJay
Oct 9, 2012

Blank Construct posted:

On the other hand I advocate that long rear end RPG runs can be good and chill.. but on the other FFXIII is such a dull/dumb game I will probably skip that one too.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Blank Construct posted:

This is gonna be the good stuff.

Seriously, Im super super interested too see how a sub 20 hour rpg Ive beaten 3 times gets trimmed to 5 hours. I don't think Im watch all 5 hours interested mind you because, uh, its five hours.

pmcTRILOGY
Feb 9, 2014

MY BRAND!

TeaJay posted:

It was a nice run but the early 3D PS1 aesthetic is just sooo bad IMO (and I know there are people who will fight to the death over this)

Left up to me, the entire marathon would look like this!!!

Sounds like the overnight big robots worked out. That Pumpkin Jack run I caught before bed was excellent. Powerful AGDQ so far.

hcreight
Mar 19, 2007

My name is Oliver Queen...
What's with Sent's house having some serious Grandma energy?

Cernunnos
Sep 2, 2011

ppbbbbttttthhhhh~

hcreight posted:

It's his mom's place. :lol:

elf help book
Aug 5, 2004

Though the battle might be endless, I will never give up

TeaJay posted:

On the other hand I advocate that long rear end RPG runs can be good and chill.. but on the other FFXIII is such a dull/dumb game I will probably skip that one too.

Final Fantasy XIII ftw

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Make with the best mainline final fantasy game come on I want to see how you break this

effervescible
Jun 29, 2012

i will eat your soul

Cernunnos posted:

It's his mom's place. :lol:

With a lamp popular enough to get its own merchandise!

Stux
Nov 17, 2006

elf help book posted:

Final Fantasy XIII ftw

THIs.

BlankSystemDaemon
Mar 13, 2009

hcreight posted:

Sent is a grandma, obviously.

EDIT: Beaten because I forgot to press post.

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused
FF 13 is probably the mainline game I know the least about. Feels like barely anyone ever talks about it.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Internet Kraken posted:

FF 13 is probably the mainline game I know the least about. Feels like barely anyone ever talks about it.

Its very devisive because while the combat is the best in the series it requires a lot of changing your mindset and actually reading the tutorials which nobody is gonna do and hoooooooboy is the plot and equipment system dogshit

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

idk if the combat is the best in the series but it's much better than people give it credit for because of all the "lol autobattle" memes

Attack on Princess
Dec 15, 2008

To yolo rolls! The cause and solution to all problems!
The level design was an issue too. You either liked running through corridors with no branching paths and no exploration, or you stopped playing FF IIII IIII III.

hcreight
Mar 19, 2007

My name is Oliver Queen...
I played a few chapters of XIII on a PS Now free trial a number of years back and the only thing I remember about it is it being a ridiculously linear corridor game even by FF standards (it does open up some later I guess?).

Stux
Nov 17, 2006

actually its ftw

Anfauglir
Jun 8, 2007
The other other big problem is you don't get access to the full combat system until like chapter 11 or something, so you end up playing an extended 20 hour tutorial before you can just do what you want.

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

hcreight posted:

I played a few chapters of XIII on a PS Now free trial a number of years back and the only thing I remember about it is it being a ridiculously linear corridor game even by FF standards (it does open up some later I guess?).

In theory it opens up but in practice there's nothing to do because everyone is dead so there's no people/towns and the only "sidequests" are just hunts of specific monsters

SuccinctAndPunchy
Mar 29, 2013

People are supposed to get hurt by things. It's fucked up to not. It's not good for you.
i kind of feel bad for ff13 runners because their game attracts so much Discourse

emdash
Oct 19, 2003

and?
This is going to be the first $5m marathon

Cernunnos
Sep 2, 2011

ppbbbbttttthhhhh~
XIII-2 fixes most of the problems people had with XIII. It doesn't spend 20 hours tutorial-ing at you and it lets you change which character you're controlling mid-combat so you have a bit more control over some actions.

Qtotonibudinibudet
Nov 7, 2011

Omich poluyobok, skazhi ty narkoman? ya prosto tozhe gde to tam zhivu, mogli by vmeste uyobyvat' narkotiki
im just sad we don't get vanille's accent-confused english VA

FF13 forever holds a special place in my heart because the pork lift/wateyad LP. i still want to be a wizard

Epic High Five
Jun 5, 2004

Across countless marathons where this has been run, every single time I check in it's the characters running along a narrow platform in an impossibly cavernous space. I'm starting to suspect this is just what the game is

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

Epic High Five posted:

Across countless marathons where this has been run, every single time I check in it's the characters running along a narrow platform in an impossibly cavernous space. I'm starting to suspect this is just what the game is
it is, except for a short stretch later in the game where you have one open map

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused
I wanna know what the story reason is for everything being a robot.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

FFXIII's combat system is legitimately great, even if it only really gets to shine at the tail end of the game.

Everything around the combat is, uh... a much more mixed bag, is maybe how I'd put it.

elf help book
Aug 5, 2004

Though the battle might be endless, I will never give up

Harrow posted:

FFXIII's combat system is legitimately great, even if it only really gets to shine at the tail end of the game.

Everything around the combat is, uh... a much more mixed bag, is maybe how I'd put it.

The music as well

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

elf help book posted:

The music as well

Yeah the music is also really good. The lead composer also worked on FFVII Remake and there's at least one point during the final battles when I could actually tell it was his work because it sounded like FFXIII. Really distinctive style.

French Accent
Feb 3, 2012

Having played FF13 on launch, I never really understood the combat system (never really was a clever person back then).

All these years have passed, and I'm still itching to play it again, but never got around to do so. It's sitting in my steam library, however. I could just boot it up.

DizzyBum
Apr 16, 2007

Despite how polarizing FF13 is, I think everyone can agree that Hope is the worst character in the game and is in the running for worst character in the franchise.

Attack on Princess
Dec 15, 2008

To yolo rolls! The cause and solution to all problems!

French Accent posted:

Having played FF13 on launch, I never really understood the combat system (never really was a clever person back then).

All these years have passed, and I'm still itching to play it again, but never got around to do so. It's sitting in my steam library, however. I could just boot it up.

Yeah, been thinking as I watch this speedrun that I'm way more up for XIII now than when it came out. It'd be a good opportunity to get into XIII-2 and XIII-2-2 too. I loved X-2 so it's silly that I haven't tried more FF sequels.

DizzyBum
Apr 16, 2007

FF13's job system is a pretty cool concept since your team's makeup is essentially the job itself, and you can switch on the fly with Paradigm Shift.

Also, a lot of FF13's menu sound effects carried over to FF14's system sounds, and it always throws me off when someone runs this game while I'm playing 14.

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

DizzyBum posted:

Despite how polarizing FF13 is, I think everyone can agree that Hope is the worst character in the game and is in the running for worst character in the franchise.

This is further compounded by Hopeless being one of the most powerful late game characters which means you have to suffer through using him for optimal strats.

Or at least that was the general consensus when I played it, maybe that's changed. I just know I purposely used a weaker team so I could leave him on the bench.

Elephant Ambush
Nov 13, 2012

...We sholde spenden more time together. What sayest thou?
Nap Ghost

DizzyBum posted:

No that's actually Snow

FF13 owns. A lot. One of the best FFs and has one of the best soundtracks. I'm really enjoying seeing the speed tech. They really thought of everything and the couch is doing a great job explaining it.

rox
Sep 7, 2016

never played it but it looks prettycool

Stux
Nov 17, 2006

DizzyBum posted:

better than all characters in 7

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Wrex Ruckus
Aug 24, 2015

they've left the hallway