Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

silentsnack
Mar 19, 2009

Donald John Trump (born June 14, 1946) is the 45th and current President of the United States. Before entering politics, he was a businessman and television personality.

berryjon posted:

That's some interesting phasing.

How many Tomi's are there?!?!?!?!?

Dunno exactly how it is voiced/written in the original game script, but the way the Japanese language handles nouns/pronouns is even more ambiguous than English so generally something gets lost in translation.

I wouldn't completely rule out stealth wordplay in a scene that isn't meant to be especially serious/dramatic, but on the other hand Vanilla show about as much subtlety as a freight train, so who knows. :v:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SloppyDoughnuts
Apr 9, 2010

I set fire to the rain watched it pour as I touched your face

Happy Landfill posted:

Nenji's a pretty good dude. Gonna put him on my "Scary Pompadour Guy Who is Actually Quite Nice" list with Oowada from Dangen Ronpa :kimchi:

how is Josuke not on this list?

Happy Landfill
Feb 26, 2011

I don't understand but I've also heard much worse

SloppyDoughnuts posted:

That goes without saying

Polsy
Mar 23, 2007

silentsnack posted:

Dunno exactly how it is voiced/written in the original game script, but the way the Japanese language handles nouns/pronouns is even more ambiguous than English so generally something gets lost in translation.

I wouldn't completely rule out stealth wordplay in a scene that isn't meant to be especially serious/dramatic, but on the other hand Vanilla show about as much subtlety as a freight train, so who knows. :v:

Yeah, he just says [unstated thing(s)] 'were still left, huh?' so I guess go with whatever interpretation seems most interesting for now.

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

That’s right, it’s finally time to revisit Nenji now that you bastards are no longer in control. And it only took… over thirty updates! Only time will tell if this will be a good-spirited act of generosity, or the actions of a fool giving a bunch of addicts their fix...

Chapter 66: Nenji Ogata 6

Music: The Plot Thickens (Rikako Watanabe)

Consider All In My Head

It’s all some big dream in my head? This Kisaragi, and that Fuyusaka, and Wajima… None of them are real?

Consider Key

(So this key’s a program that’s calling the kaiju out. Except I’m just gonna see it as a normal-rear end key, I guess.)

Consider D-Command

(So the world’s gonna end… And it’s all ‘cause of these fifteen people. ‘Cause they’re sendin’ out this command to the kaiju… If he’s right, I’m one of those people too…)

I didn’t… I didn’t cross a line, did I?

Could you not ignore me?

This Tomi simulacrum seems legitimately kind of upset here. Makes me feel bad.

Use All In My Head on Tomi Kisaragi

You’re just some ghost of her in my brain.

Is your head okay? Did you eat something bad?

Awww, don’t mistreat the fake Tomi, Nenji! It’s not her fault she’s a lie!

Nenji just wants to get away and think for a second. Unfortunately, only one thing awaits us over to the left…

Well, technically like five things. I fudged the numbers there and counted all of Wajima and his cronies as one because they’re legally obligated to appear as a full unit, sorry.

Ogata. Most punchable face in the city.
……

Use All In My Head on Takemi Wajima

This rear end in a top hat looks as real as he ever did…
The hell are you muttering about? Hey!

Ha, Nenji is just so done.

What’s your problem? Forgot how to talk, dumbass? Or maybe you just never had the balls to fight, coward.

Who the hell’re you? Stay out of this.

Heh… Ain’t that the saddest poo poo. Gotta have your girl rescue you.

Listen up. No more warnings. If you ever talk poo poo on Kuri High again… You know what’s gonna happen.
*pained groan*

This place… it’s what I remember from that day.
Are you okay?

We had a big fight… Ended up splittin’ off…

Those guys aren’t worth your time, okay?

Third train’s already gone… They’re gonna show up any second now…

Music: Time Drain (Rikako Watanabe)

……
Not this time, from the looks of things.
…So put me back. That’s how this goes, right?
You realize your life is at stake here. I suggest you take this seriously.

Wait, why’s the clock animation still happening? We know it’s not really a time loop!

Maybe you’ve got a point.

…What’s wrong?
……

I know that literally every single time we go confront Wajima it results in the unceremonious end of the loop, but… hey, maybe this time’ll be different! Besides, we got a new keyword! Time to rub it on everything!

Ogata. Most punchable face in the city.
……

Use Dissing Nagakuri on Takemi Wajima

You think I’d sneak around talkin’ poo poo behind your backs? If I got somethin’ to say, I say it to your face, or just punch you.
What the hell…?
If I’m lyin’ here, then I’ll let you take a free swing at me. All I wanna know… is who you heard that rumor from.
Well, uh… that’d be…

That’s gotta be Teru…
No, man, you were the one who said it!

Well, that solves that problem.

Time to finally head to the right.

Iori’s still here, but something’s… missing…

*sigh*

Who are you looking for?

Use All In My Head on Iori Fuyusaka

…?
I don’t really know Fuyusaka that well. So maybe that’s it? I just got her mixed up with the school nurse…?

Use Tsukasa Okino on Iori Fuyusaka

Okino? Who’s that?
*annoyed scoff*

Usami-chan!

Where you going?

Consider Tsukasa Okino

(Looks like he got himself out… But where the hell does that leave me? If Okino’s not here, I can’t chase after him to get outta here.)

Well, let’s talk to Juro. Not like we have any better options.

Hey, it’s you.
If I remember right… You don’t take the train to school, do ya?
Guess I don’t. But who cares? I can still take the train if I want. It’s not a crime.

This how you get your kicks? Picking some random kid to bully?

Huh? That’s not a very… Juro thing to say.

*staring*

Use Key on Juro Kurabe

The key to summon the kaiju.
Summoning kaiju, huh?
What, that weird…?

Okay, something’s definitely wrong with Juro.

…Now that’s weird. Last I heard, you were way into that poo poo…
*amused scoff*

Looks like my train’s here. Which means this conversation is over.

Why’d you run? Huh?
You’re on the wrong train, Nenji Ogata.
Doesn’t matter which one I take. Same drat thing happens anyway. I always get taken out by the kaiju.

This voice doesn’t come from Juro. No, it’s deeper…

Music: Hard Pill to Swallow (Kikuchi Yukinori)

The speaker steps out of the background…

Never figured you’d come looking to take it back…
Who the hell are you…?

He disappeared…

Oh no, you’re not getting away that easily!

…And look what she’s got. I dunno how I know, but… That’s the key. Gotta be.

Do you even know what you’ve been looking for?

Consider Key

(It’s her. Minami’s the one with the key.)

You don’t even know what this key is…
……

And now I know Natsuno Minami’s got it.
If you know that, then why are you on their side? You think you know what they’re gonna do with it? They can’t save anyone. Don’t trust them.

Do you have any idea what Natsuno Minami will go through?

I don’t even know who you are.

Of course you are.

A version of Juro Kurabe from another world.
What the hell…?
I’ve come to save you. That’s why I’m here. To protect her control key.

Trust me or don’t. I don’t care. Just forget about finding the key.
I can’t do that. That key’s gonna destroy the world, right?
If you let me handle this, you won’t regret it. But if they found out that Natsuno Minami has the key… You think they’d be nice about getting it out of her?

These sickos already kidnapped me and messed with my brain. Minami might end up the same way…
They might break her. Leave her like Ryoko Shinonome. Or they might just kill her. She’s a pawn in their game. Just another sacrifice.
……
…Think this through.

Music: Time Drain (Rikako Watanabe)

……
Did you find it?
No…

Nenji seems convinced. Also, Nenji’s a good boy. :3:

I analyzed the station you’re seeing. Basically, it’s a visual representation of a kind of database. It kind of got tangled with your memories, so not everyone there will be relevant… But at least one of them has accessed the D-Code. You just need to find out who.
…Say I find this person with the key, right? What’re you gonna do to ‘em?
Do you even need to ask? I’m going to cut off the D-forces’ appearance. Once I control the commander, I control the kaiju. If that’s impossible, I’ll just destroy the control key.
……

Wow, Okino. Just coming right out and saying it. You’re a cold motherfucker.

Don’t worry. You’ll be free to go.
All right…
…I didn’t say this before, but… This is an inherently risky process. The more loops we do, the more stress your brain gets put under. If you don’t find it soon, I can’t promise you’ll survive.

gently caress!

Am I clear? You need to investigate the people on that platform closely. Let’s run it again.

One thing I’ll note now that we’re out of that scene is that the voice acting for “Juro Kurabe” there on the train platform was just kind of… off. That’s not a complaint, it’s clearly intentional and it works very well at being immediately somewhat distressing. Dude just sounds wrong. He sounds vaguely smug, even, in a way Juro never is. In particular, the delivery on “I can still take the train if I want. It’s not a crime.” is just incredibly funny.

And we get some new info about the control key.

Happy Landfill
Feb 26, 2011

Yep, I like Nenji :colbert:

berryjon
May 30, 2011

I have an invasion to go to.
Nanji may not have the role of the 'Smart Guy', but it's nice to see a story where everyone is capable of using their noggin and figuring things out, one string at a time.

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

Chapter 67: Ei Sekigahara 5

I have to consider my next moves carefully.

Don’t we know that the numbers on the note correspond to a message from the message service? We should go investigate that.

As we approach the phone booth, a cop notices us. What’re you lookin’ at, pig?

Darn.

Well, let’s go through our Thought Cloud. Maybe we can figure something out while we wait.

Consider Natsuno Minami

(…… That student I saw in front of the school gate… She’s Natsuno Minami. She’s likely already gone home by now. I’ll have to wait until tomorrow morning.)

Examine Cryptic Note

(One set is the user number, and the other is the password.)

Examine Communication Device

(Have I been following his orders this whole time? He wanted information… And he was trying to extract it from that data unit. ……)

Examine Phaser

Dude! What the gently caress, Ei!?

(This is the same gun that android was using. The one from the future…)

OH MY GOD, EI, YOU MORON

(For the record, this is one of my favorite moments in the game. It’s just… so dumb.)

I’m taking you in for further questioning.

Ei takes the gun back!

Music: Between The Lines (Kikuchi Yukinori)

…And I end up back here.

Those black suits must’ve disposed of the body.

At that point, they were already coming after me. Did I lure Morimura out here? It just doesn’t add up…

I managed to find some good clues here before. But I’m still not sure what some of them mean…

Well, then let’s go back over them.

Examine Key

(It has some kind of emblem on it. Was I driving a car?)

(The emblem appears to be a button.)

D’okay.

Well, I pressed it. No nearby car made a sound, though. Maybe it’s somewhere further away.

Out of nowhere, a motorcycle sans driver quietly rides up next to Ei.

Voice Authentication… Verified. A key is required to unlock this vehicle.
It’s voice-activated, too? Is this… a self-driving motorcycle?

Exactly, Tesla must have made this! That also explains why it’s decked out like a stealth bomber: it’s clearly a self-driving vehicle for warfare, used to safely and reliably used to deliver Tesla-brand motorcycle batteries to the front line, whereupon they will safely and reliably explode! …That was a really labored setup for an “exploding Tesla batteries” joke, but I got there!

A key is required to unlock this vehicle.

Use Key on Motorcycle

You may issue commands using your voice. Please set your next destination.

Who do you belong to?
Registered drivers of the Shikishima SXR-NR: Ei Sekigahara and Chihiro Morimura.
Me… and Morimura?

Then it must know where I’ve taken it. I’m guessing you have a travel log, right? Can you pull it up?
Displaying travel log.

Looks like I’ve taken this thing all around the city. But there are only two places I’ve visited multiple times… Aside from Sakura High, it’s just this one other spot.
Set this location as your destination?
Yes…

Did I… leave anything with you?
Invalid request. Please specify.
I want to know if I left behind any messages.
Two logs found from Ei Sekigahara.
S-Seriously?
Begin playback?
Yeah… Show me.

Whoa!? Distracted driving much! Don’t watch-secret-messages-from-your-past-self-and-drive, man!

My—well, *your* intuition was right. I’m leaving this message as a precaution. Just in case I lose my memory sooner than I expect. You’ve still got work to do if you want to escape this world. You must acquire the data logs from 2188. One more thing—and this takes priority over all else. You can’t let Chihiro Morimura execute Operation Aegis. She holds a position as a nurse at Sakura High School… But it’s all under false pretenses. Stop her at all costs.

The log ends.

In any case… some interesting developments have come up. I’ve confirmed that Iori Fuyusaka was able to use the gate.

Music: The Chills (Yoshimi Kudo)

I checked the log she left behind. The ID she used… was Morimura’s biometric ID. Iori Fuyusaka *is* Chihiro Morimura. Knowing this… do I still try to stop Operation Aegis? That’s the real question. …… Well, the answer’s obvious… Isn’t it?
Playback complete.

Fuyusaka… is Morimura? How is that possible…?

Jeez, Ei, try to keep up, this is poo poo from like fifteen hours ago at least.

…And what did I decide to do? ……

Now what am I gonna find here?

This factory has to be what I’m here for.

Music: LONER (Azusa Chiba)

Here to cause some more trouble?

…Something wrong?
*averting gaze* No, nothing…
Ah. Let me guess… You finally lost your memories, right?
…!? H-How… How did you know?
Just by the way you’re acting. Kind of a dead giveaway.

Okino…

……
It didn’t work… I suppose 32% wasn’t enough.

No… I don’t.

Focus.
H-Hey, Okino…
Take a good look at my face. I know you can remember…

You can, in fact, choose “Never mind” here, but it just results in Okino backing off without any dialogue (other than a “……” from Ei) and rewinding the conversation a bit.

Consider Oral NM

(Pills the android gave me in the underground facility in 2104. They slow the effects of DD-426.)

Music: Hard Pill to Swallow (Kikuchi Yukinori)

Sentinel No. 19… So this is where it was transmitted. …Is this a hangar for Sentinels?

Even in this outfit… you managed to catch me.
Have you been in hiding ever since the incident? Just laying low in Sector 5?
……

Why were you searching for me?

Use DD-426 on Tsukasa Okino

You’re an expert on the subject, aren’t you?
I am indeed. It’s a code that was distributed on the battlefield. Do you know who’s responsible for spreading it?
*looks away* …No.
Right… This is exactly why I went into hiding. Because I can’t trust anyone… and that includes you, Ei Sekigahara.

Yet you’re not showing any symptoms.
I could say the same about you.
I’m taking pills to help reduce the symptoms.
…Pills?

……

Use Oral NM on Tsukasa Okino

These serve as additional code for priority processing.

If that means what I think it means (and it very well might just be nonsense science-sounding gobbledygook that doesn’t actually mean anything), Oral NM works to prevent the memory loss by injecting junk instructions into Ei’s nanomachines that have to be resolved before they can sever his memories, which is both a very funny “solution” and also pretty cool, honestly. Though I do have to wonder how Okino recognized what they did immediately. That’s not really how pills work.

These aren’t going to save me.

All you’re doing is buying yourself some time.
What about you? You’re completely healthy. There must be some way to stop it, right?
I’m afraid that’s impossible.

I discovered a code created by 426. …The aptly named DD-426.

*gasp*
…Which resulted in the loss of my memories. That’s why I was unaffected on the battlefield.

You don’t seem like you’ve lost your memories at all.
That’s because I transferred my memories to my nanomachines. And I was able to create a simulated personality. It carries all the qualities that make up my identity.

You’re a program that’s simulating Okino?
Initially, yes. But now that I’ve been affixed to the brain… I’ve become the true Tsukasa Okino. I possess the original Okino’s personality and memories. You can’t even tell the difference.
…But you’re still not the same. The Okino from before was different.
Human beings are constantly evolving. Whether we retain our memories or not, we’re never the same as our past selves.

Your pursuit of me caused quite the panic. Professor Douji wants to have me restrained. And now that you’ve caught me, maybe it’s time I gave up…

…?

Okino switches to his “Kiriko” affect.

Help!

Music: High Alert (Yoshimi Kudo)

*momentary grunt of shock*
Hey! Who the hell are you!? How’d you get in here!?
Please, make him go away.

This is highly-classified material, and you’ve seen too much.
drat you, Okino…

Tsukasa Okino. We met in Sector 5…
Good.
…And you’re an AI construct.

Is that all? You’ve neglected to remember some rather important details.

Okino… Do you really have to stand so close to him?
…Don’t pay him any mind. He’s just jealous.
(blushing) Y-Yeah, right…
Now concentrate, Ei Sekigahara… Try to remember why you kept coming back here.

My head feels like it’s about to split in half…
What about the pills?
They aren’t working…
But you’ve taken so many of them already. They still aren’t helping?

You seemed very reluctant to go through with this at first. But now, you’ve come to rely on this plan. So what changed your mind?
Nothing changed. I still think this is terrible… But there are some things I don’t want to forget. Like that vile face of yours.
…I’ll be sure to preserve that memory for you.

Sure. First, I’ll input a memory extraction code into you. Your memories can be saved at any time. Your consciousness itself, though, can’t be saved.

I like how Okino just throws this detail out and it never actually gets remarked upon. “Oh, by the way, the thing you think of when you think of your self, your fundamental awareness, will be forever lost in this process!” It’s loving horrifying! It’s also weird because, like… how does Okino even know what’s going to happen to Ei’s consciousness? It’s not really something that can be quantified or measured. This isn’t a complaint, just an observation of the game’s priorities here. It’s quickly establishing the classic “Ship of Theseus” dilemma as seen in hit show WandaVision: if you replace all the bits inside, when do you become someone else? For what it’s worth, I think the game’s take on this is pretty interesting and novel in a couple of ways, but I’m getting a bit ahead of myself there.

Then, a simulated personality will—

Music: Who D-Unit (Yoshimi Kudo)

All I need is for you to save my memories. I don’t want some AI taking over me.
A simulated personality will think the same way you do. It’ll be able to work together with your own brain. In other words, it will act as a support to your brain. The relationship is symbiotic. It’ll teach your brain new ways to think and solve problems… But you will still be in charge of decision-making.
I just… I hate myself. I really don’t need a simulated personality…
…All right. In that case, I’ll simply extract your memories.

They’ll be stored in your nanomachines. I’ll configure it so when the D-Code region is detached… Your memories will be backed up. We’ll require an intracerebral map to save your memories. Though it’ll all be pointless if you end up as a husk. Your brain *did* have more damage than anticipated… My equipment can only do so much. I’ll only be able to map roughly 30% of the region per scan. So you’ll have to make multiple trips. Let’s get started, shall we? Please, take a seat.

We’ll start with some word exercises. Try listing any words starting with “A” that come to mind. As you say each word, imagine the object in your head.

Apple… Asphalt… Anchor…

Looks like we can’t progress Ei any further until we see one of Natsuno’s scenes.

Doc Hawkins
Jun 15, 2010

Dashing? But I'm not even moving!

SloppyDoughnuts posted:

my god, of course: Oogata is the mysterious man with a pompadour who saved the infant Josuke and his mother when their car broke down in the snow :aaa:

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

Chapter 68: Iori Fuyusaka 5

Music: A F8ful Struggle (Hitoshi Sakimoto)

I won’t let you get away this time.

Well… The you of 16 years ago. You’re not aware of what happened, are you? That’s disappointing.
…… What happened?
You and I… were in love. Hand in hand, we struggled to save the world.
But… It was all for naught.
Not entirely. We did find the truth. This is but one small part of a massive operation. Even if I tried to explain it… It would be lost on you now. The plan needs to be revised. Please. You must let me go.

You’ve already killed the four that came with you.
You misunderstand. I backed up my data on Sector 0 before the final battle.

Huh?

That was all I could do. I’m not aware of what happened to the others.
That’s not what Ida-kun said.
That guy…
I can’t trust a word you say.
The 25-year-old Morimura felt quite differently. You said you’d loved me since the day we met. I can’t imagine that’s changed. Please. Open the way.
…I can’t.

Ah…

Music: Just Because (Composer: Azusa Chiba, Arranger: Rikako Watanabe)

Another dream…

Consider Cute Guy

(Was that really just a dream? Even meeting… him again? No. I had butterflies in my stomach… That was real! I should go back to the science room. Maybe it’ll happen again. I need to look for him!)

Ignore these popups in the next couple images. They’re not new keywords, just all our old ones trickling back in after it forces us to think about “Cute Guy.”

You were absent the other day. Did something happen?
Oh… Um, well… I had a stomachache, so… Yeah. I’m fine now.
I see… Hey, Usami-chan… Nenji-kun was absent too. The very same day as you. Could it be…?
*blushing* What…? Stop jumping to conclusions.
I’m just kidding. I already talked to him. He went on a trip that day.
A trip, huh.

Me? I’m just fine.
Well, okay. That’s good.

Consider Science Room

(Oh wait… The science room… The door’s always locked. How do I get back in?)

Maybe Juro holds the answer to this quandary.

(He looks a bit like the man in my dream. And I called that man “Juro”… It was him, right? It had to be. I know it’s just a dream, but… I shot him point blank. Feels kinda weird to talk to him now.)

And so Iori, overcome by the awkwardness, simply walks away. Which is fine, because Juro’s being kind of creepy, honestly, staring out that window for the last five minutes.

Well, let’s talk to Tomi and Miwako, then.

Welcome back to the land of the living. Gotta say, sleeping as much as you do is a real talent.
Ehehe…

Good morning. You were quite sleepy, huh? I saw you nodding off the whole time. The teacher was glaring at you again.
Oof…

We’ve exhausted all other possibilities. Time to eavesdrop on these faceless losers.

It’s my turn to clean up the science room.
Sorry, dude. That one’s a real pain.
Eh, whatever. Maybe the other helper’s a cute girl.
Let’s see… Oh, it’s Sawatari. Lucky you.
Is she your type? I dunno, man.

Are you badmouthing Miwako!?

Miwa-chan!

Consider Science Room

(If Miwa-chan’s on cleaning duty… I’ll just ask her to let me in!

Use Science Room on Miwako Sawatari

It’s your turn to clean up the science room, right?
Uh-huh…
I have a favor to ask.

But be safe, okay? Chemicals are dangerous.

Miwako absolutely thinks Iori is getting high in here.

Relax, it’s nothing like that. I’ll be sure to lock up when I’m done. Don’t worry.
Okay… I’ll take the trash out now. Do what you need to.
Thanks, Miwa-chan.

Stuff started popping up right about here…

Iori, that’s not gonna—

Music: The Sector Theorem (Kazuki Higashihara)

It really worked…

Uh, well. poo poo.

I knew it wasn’t a dream!

But let’s see.

Iori, this is one of the dumbest things anyone in this game has done yet, and that’s real impressive when we’ve seen Nenji repeatedly get into a fistfight with, essentially, his own brain. But more power to you, I guess! Don’t come crying to me when a bunch of androids tear you in half!

Wait, there’s androids here already? I was just joking, game!

This looks… different… What is this place?

I remember. This is the UFO from my dream.

Is it dead?

Please don’t get to close to those things, Iori. They’ll tear your face off like a chimpanzee.

This reminds me of something… What was it?

There’s text on the screen.

We must have brought them here. Just like in the dream…

Someone’s coming. Oh no… What if it’s an alien?

I see we have our new Natsuno.

I need to hide…

Oh yeah, great job hiding there, Iori.

Music: Cognitive Dissonance (Rikako Watanabe)

There’s no choice. I must retreat for now.

I’m…
Stop.

426… You won’t get away with this.

That again? Give it a rest. There’s not much time left. Come with me. I’ll protect you. Please, Ryoko…

Stop trying to confuse me!

(Just when I thought we could meet again… He’s in love with someone else.)

That’s what you took from that!?

Are you alone? What are you doing here?

Music: Bittersweet Sorrow (Composer: Azusa Chiba, Arranger: Kikuchi Yukinori)

And…

Oh boo-loving-hoo, Iori. Sorry, but you’ve met this guy twice for about five minutes total. Just because you accidentally flashed your underwear at him doesn’t mean it’s true love.

…? In any case… You shouldn’t be here. Go back to your sector.

Well, that was… stupid and uneventful! At least there was a weird dream scene at the start for us to not understand!

Speaking of that weird dream scene, no idea what to make of these repeated mentions of “Sector 0.” We add that to the board.

Arist fucked around with this message at 04:09 on Dec 13, 2022

Podima
Nov 4, 2009

by Fluffdaddy
Sometimes these little short story segments are actually just what's needed pacing wise, it's nice.

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

I just have one question:

which one's the bad guy

kw0134
Apr 19, 2003

I buy feet pics🍆

It's like Murder on the Orient Express, everyone's complicit in the plot or so it seems.

Doc Hawkins
Jun 15, 2010

Dashing? But I'm not even moving!

Hwurmp posted:

I just have one question:

which one's the bad guy

the player :twisted:

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

makes sense

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

Chapter 69: Yuki Takamiya 5

Nice.

They’re probably still watching me, just waiting to use me… *sigh* Whatever Gouto and them are trying to to… It’s beyond me.

I’ve been looking for you.
……

I will do my best to assist you in solving mysteries. How would you like to start?

……

Yes, of course. I am merely your capable assistant.
*groan*
Well, at least I’ll try to be!

Consider The Box

(Nat-chan was hiding a box in the locker room. Come to think of it… That projector I hid looks a lot like a box, too. Could it be the same one?)

Consider Shikishima Industries

(I saw something that looked like a weapon in the Shikishima facility. But what Gouto and Shinonome said doesn’t make sense. Maybe they let me go so they could track me… To get to the organization behind the scenes?)

Use Erika Aiba on Erika Aiba

Yes. But I doubt he remembers me. I don’t leave much of an impression.
……

Uh-huh, likely story.

Are you upset with me?
Just been antsy without my cigarettes.

Let’s see if Megumi has any new information.

……

Well…

Use Natsuno Minami on Megumi Yakushiji

……

Hehe. I know it’s cruel to keep making her miss Juro leaving… but it’s also very funny.

Mmm… The word has such a nice ring to it, doesn’t it?

Let’s look for clues in the cafeteria!

Nah.

Oh. Well, I guess I’m just an idiot, then.

I just want something to drink. Gotta keep my mouth occupied.

Nothing for me, thank you.

Music: Feeling At Ease (Rikako Watanabe)

Oh god, here we go.

Amiguchi…
I’m telling ya. Destiny sure wants us to be together.
Ugh. This again…

I heard vitamin C helps keep you healthy.
I’m not drinkin’ it for my health, dumbass. Nat-chan used to drink it, that’s all. What the hell do you want anyways?

No thanks. I mean, really. How many times is it gonna take… for it to stick in that floppy-haired head of yours?
How about… Until you go on a date with me?

That’s some catch, that Catch-22.

*sigh*

So I was thinking…

A bike? Sounds wonderful.

Who’s this?

I love this line. Shu sounds completely joyless here.

Apparently… She’s Watson.
Huh? Are you from another country?
Teehee.

But I got more important things to do today.
We are actually quite busy.
Okay… Well, I guess I won’t keep you.
You’re awfully docile today.
Just don’t want you to hate me. For being too aggressive, you know?

Holy poo poo! He’s learning! He’s taking a hint!

……
Yuki-chan. Next time’s a date for sure.

…Or not.

Ugh…
Well then. Shall we?
Yeah.

If we first consider “The Box,” the Consider dialogue for “Old School Building” will change.

Consider Old School Building

(That thing I hid… I need to take a closer look. But I can’t let Aiba know about the SIU. I’ll have to go alone.)

Use Old School Building on Erika Aiba

I just remembered I had something to do. We’re done investigating for the day.
Aww…

How did Ryoko Shinonome make this thing work?

Nope. Can’t find one.

So this is what Nat-chan was hiding? If only I could show this to that track girl…

Music: Bad Omen (Mitsuhiro Kaneda)

Aha. Good work, Takamiya.

There’s valuable confidential information in there.

Yes, in that data unit. You had orders to look for it too?
Uh, actually—
Anyway, good job.

…You haven’t heard? I came in here because I thought I saw him. Ei Sekigahara. He’s a vicious criminal that will stop at nothing to get his hands on this information.

Music: Who D-Unit (Yoshimi Kudo)

……
I didn’t kill him. He’s just unconscious.

Get away from my box!
Right… Do you even know what this is?
This guy was saying it’s confidential, so…
Activate AI.

BJ springs to life.

Miura… Do you know who I am?
Sekigahara…
You got your memory back.
Where am I…?
Sector 4. The old building at Sakura High School.
Then we have a problem.

Music: Lonely Struggle (Rikako Watanabe)

Did you say “Natsuno”?

Does that mean you know? You know where Nat-chan is!?
Who are you?
I’m Yuki Takamiya. But that doesn’t matter. Just tell me where she is!
I do mean Natsuno Minami. According to my last memory… She is currently marooned in Sector 3.
Sector 3?

You bet your rear end I am.

I knew this place was important. Nat-chan came here too.

Are you saying *this* is Sector 3? What’s it doing?

Don’t move.

Where’s Nat-chan?

Canned food isn’t hard to find if you look for it. As long as she didn’t do anything reckless, she should still be alive.

Okay, so she’s clearly dead, got it.

Use Ruined Future on Ei Sekigahara

It was attacked by the Deimos.
The Deimos…?
The swarm of machines that look like monsters. No one is left in the wake of their attacks.

Music: IMMINENT (Yoshimi Kudo)

And their next target is your town.
What…?

…Is to fight back with the Sentinels.
Sentinels…
We need you for this too, Takamiya.
You’re saying I have to get in one of those things?
So you’ve seen one?
In Shikishima’s facility. They were calling it No. 14.
That’s Ryoko-san’s Sentinel…

He’s back.

I scanned for heat sources from the air. I detected no signs within a 5-kilometer range.
We may have to prepare for the worst-case scenario.
Shut your drat mouth.

She’s either deep inside a building… Or she’s moved farther away.
I will widen my scan range.
Nat-chan…

So, we’ve made a bit of progress in the hunt for Natsuno, but we still haven’t found her… yet.

Arist fucked around with this message at 04:11 on Dec 13, 2022

Hunt11
Jul 24, 2013

Grimey Drawer
I sometimes forget just how good the soundtrack for this game is.

Podima
Nov 4, 2009

by Fluffdaddy
I love Yuki's aggressive squat - the spritework and expressions in this game are really really good in general, but that one stands out to me.

SloppyDoughnuts
Apr 9, 2010

I set fire to the rain watched it pour as I touched your face
Yuki's walking and thinking animation is my favorite in the game.

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

Chapter 70: Ryoko Shinonome 5

Music: Just Because (Composer: Azusa Chiba, Arranger: Rikako Watanabe)

Consider Ampoule

(Morimura… She’s been modifiying personalities with nanomachines. She wants to change both me and Iori Fuyusaka… into different people. I can’t believe what Morimura says.)

1985. I know what you’re going to say. I’m fine, all right?
I see…
I just forgot to take my pills, that’s all.

……

……
You should get some rest.
You don’t need to worry about me.

Stop following me.
That’s not happening.

Let’s skip through this next segment a bit, because it’s nothing we haven’t seen eight times before.

Use Run Away on Tomi Kisaragi

Shh!

Go on, ditch him!

My head… feels like it’s splitting…

Ryoko’s head is pounding.

Consider Pills

(That was the last of them… I need to get more pills. Before it gets worse… The nurse’s office should have some.)

We’re not going back there after last time, though.

I can try to help, if you’d like.
No thanks.
…… I suppose it’s to be expected, looking like this…

*looks behind her worriedly*

Why are you still chasing after Sekigahara?
Oh, right, you might not know, but—

Music: Cognitive Dissonance (Rikako Watanabe)

But you have to capture him to fix the Sentinels.

*gasp*
And he’s 426. That right?
You knew?
Yeah, ‘cause you flippin’ told me!
…I don’t remember that.
Is Morimura doing something to you?

A ruined city…

Irritating lock.

Ryoko-san…

Music: Bleak Pressure (Kikuchi Yukinori)

Just like I thought. I knew you’d show up here.

I’m 426? Who did you hear that from?
I saw the access logs. It was you, Ei Sekigahara. The program that infected the Sentinels. It was created with 426’s ID.
*chuckle* Looks like someone left some foolish evidence behind.

I won’t let you mess things up again.
Ryoko-san, you need to stay out of this.

And to the wrong place, too. Now there’s others involved…

Not good. My location’s going to be tracked.

This just wasn’t your day.

Ryoko’s head is pounding. Anyway, the following scene has a number of small differences between the original version from Ryoko 1! Can you spot them all, kids?

I’ve got you cornered now, 426. It’s time to pay for what you’ve done.

You… You’re still going on about Ida?

*chuckle* Then do it. Shoot me.

You know, when I was adding the sound effects here I remembered one of the eternal lessons of graphic design: in certain fonts, a capital L followed by a capital I looks like a capital U. And then I looked back at what I had written. But… eh, it’s fine. I made it bigger, you can tell it’s not that word now. Though now that I’ve pointed it out, it’s probably all you’re going to see. Sorry. Also, Ryoko’s head is pounding.

Argh…

Ryoko drops the phaser. And her head is pounding, btw.

Really? With those injuries?

What are you doing?
Empty. Like I thought.

Ryoko’s head is really pounding now, I tell you what. The audio distortion’s pretty heavy now.

Your condition’s gotten worse. How long has it been since you’ve taken them? Guess I don’t have much choice…

Go on. Take them.

Ryoko’s head is seriously pounding.

You’re not gonna trick me, 426…
I don’t know what you’ve been told. But I’m not the one who infected the Sentinels. I’m *not* 426, Ryoko-san.

…We never lived too far apart. Ever since we were kids…

Understand? I need to get out of here.

I really like how as Ei runs out of frame here, he blurs into nothingness before even making it offscreen.

I don’t… understand…

Huh… so if Ei didn’t infect the Sentinels… who did? Who is the real 426? Might it be the person we’ve already met called 426?

We’ve finally resolved the mystery of Tomi, Nenji, and Miwako’s foray into 2025: Ei was futzing with the gate, but the settings weren’t calibrated properly and they all got shifted. Remove it from the board!

We probably should have done this a long time ago, but we’re also going to add a mystery for the Sentinel Infection Incident.

And while we’re at it, did Ei really kill Morimura? That last Ei segment cast some doubts there, but it’s still too early to say for sure…

Arist fucked around with this message at 21:58 on Jan 3, 2022

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

flick

Alxprit
Feb 7, 2015

<click> <click> What is it with this dancing?! Bouncing around like fools... I would have thought my own kind at least would understand the seriousness of our Adventurer's Guild!

I can't force myself to see the naughties in the sound effects. It's a good font

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

Music: Voyage To Tomorrow (Hitoshi Sakimoto)

Chapter 71: Destruction 7

Time to get back to kaiju-smashin’.

None of the bonus objectives limit which pilots we can field this time, good.

Here, we get Gouto to +2 Neurolink. From this point on, we’re going to (mostly) try to only field pilots fresh off Brain Overload when they’ve got their Neurolink to +2. It’s a bit more efficient, even if it means that we’re going to be largely forgoing Sentinel armament upgrades until we’ve done that. It’s a shame direct Sentinel upgrades are so expensive.

Let’s go in with this team. Not really sure why I didn’t field Gouto after just having upgraded his Neurolink, but whatever.

Video: Destruction Wave 2-2

Music: (ISOLEUCINE) (Yoshimi Kudo)

On top of that, they’re equipped with barriers and high-output laser weapons that didn’t exist at the turn of the 22nd century. The rotors match the Drillflies, and the barrier was clearly taken from APSOS technology. Meaning… The 4th-generation mechs were created by Okino, derived from the designs of the Deimos themselves.

Really, the Sentinels have always kinda been siblings to the Deimos…

Let’s get to work.

We start by immediately placing a Sentry Gun and launching Interceptors, natch.

We send Hijiyama down southeast to greet this newly-spawned horde, but unfortunately, they’re mostly fliers.

Thankfully, we have a 3rd-generation Sentinel with us, so we can use EMP Stunner to drop (and stop) them. As this battle ramps up, we’re going to need to do this quite a lot.

Here we see the message that plays when a pilot’s planned movement route is blocked by a large ground-based enemy. That’s really all it means.

If you take a look at the minimap in the top-right, you’ll notice that there are quite a lot of enemies active at the moment, and they’re very close to the terminal. They’re simply too quick and spawning too fast for us to handle.

Really wishing Yuki’s Multi-Lock Missiles was beyond +1 at the moment, because we’re going to need a lot of it for these hordes.

Less power, eh…? Well, that just means it’s a fair fight now…
I’ll adjust the settings to get your output back up, but… one more hit like that and you’re done!

Oh no, Hijiyama’s in the thick of it and his Sentinel got damaged! Looking back at the tape, it was seriously just, like, one attack that did all that damage, he just melted instantly.

Let’s shield as many people as we can while including Hijiyama, then.

This is not good. Our terminal defense is falling rapidly with enemies right at the gates, plus there are Terra Carriers active now.

Let’s stun the enemies at the terminal to stop the bleeding.

Then, Miura fires off a railgun at point-blank range to take out most of them (wait, it’s a laser beam, does point-blank range apply?).

Their numbers are starting to thin, but we’re not out of the woods yet.

All right, it’s time to get rid of these Terra Carriers.

We bring in Yuki to Leg Spike the hell out of them.

We need Hijiyama to repair, he’s just too vulnerable at the moment.

Now that he’s on foot, we pop another Shield Matrix around him.

Another Leg Spike.

Hijiyama’s repairs are finished, let’s get him back on the battlefield.

Sweet.

That’s the last one.

They’re laid out in a network, like a massive nervous system. That’s why the kaiju are going after them.

Poor Tomi did almost nothing, just spammed EMP Stunner over and over for pretty much no damage. Meanwhile, Iori poo poo out two Sentry Guns and doubled the second-place pilot’s score, ha.

Okino’s Support is a skill that increases Back Attack range. I never actually put any thought into this one’s name/function until just now, but… maybe a little homophobic, wow. Hopefully not intentional.

I Can Fight Too! is a skill that increases the power of an armament if she uses it right after an attack from another ally.

Yuki’s Let’s Do This, Nat-chan! increases Yuki’s WT recovery speed if Natsuno is in the strike team.

Finally, Megumi’s This Time, I’ll Save You increases all her stats if Juro is in the strike team.

Ah poo poo, a B. Well, not super surprising given how poorly parts of that fight went.

Because I’m an rear end in a top hat, I decide to go right back in and fix that shameful B rating.

We upgrade Nenji’s Rush Attack from +2 to +4, giving him an additional hit. We also increase Leap Attack from +0 to +3.

Ryoko unlocks Shield Emitter, which she increases to +2. She also increases Sentry Gun from +4 to +5.

Juro increases his Sentry Gun from +3 to +5, and his Guardian from +0 to +1.

Well, let’s try again.

Let’s try another strategy this time. Sentry Guns and Interceptors, of course, but more focus on EMPs from Natsuno and Nenji. We can also try using Guardians courtesy of Ryoko.

Oof. This isn’t going so hot, they’re just coming in too fast. Let’s reset from the pause menu and start over.

Okay, this time we’re going to try playing more cautiously and close to the terminal.

Nice terminal defense rating. Reset!

One problem we’ve been having is that Gouto isn’t starting with max EP, making it fairly difficult for him to get to a point where he can summon more Interceptors after his first batch dies to the massive swarms of flying kaiju. So, instead of launching off Interceptors immediately, we choose to have Gouto… defend. I think I need to be more liberal about having pilots, especially second-generation pilots, just defend to get some EP back.

We’re taking some lumps, but the swarm is honestly a little more manageable this time because I’ve been smarter about holding my skills and EP for emergencies.

Still using EMP Stunner a ton to get time to catch my breath, though.

The horde is thinning…

Last ones!

Whew! Let’s see how we did there.

Not Dead Yet increases Ryoko’s Defense as her HP decreases. Never really been a huge fan of those abilities, I’d prefer to just not get hit.

Goddammit. Looks like we’re doing that one again…

Okay, this time we upgrade the Meta-System to Rank 9, and the Chip Multiplier to Level 5, increasing it to x1.8.

This time we’re not going straight back into 2-2, though. This time, we’re going back to 1-1 so we can run a “cleanser” op to get some people off Brain Overload. I don’t really love our chances with our current options. Optimally, I don’t even really want to field a 1st-generation Sentinel for our next attempt at 2-2, so we need to get some of our 2nd-generation units back as options.

We increase Miura and Iori’s Neurolink ranks to +2.

Let’s just get in and out. This shouldn’t take much time.

All right, easy peasy.

C’mon, C’mon! increases the power of Nenji’s Rush Attack with each hit. Or maybe it increases the power of each Rush attack after the first every time you use it? I think it’s the first one of those, but this description is vague enough that it could be the second? I dunno.

Back to 2-2. I swear we’re going to get to a different wave in this update, guys.

We’re going to increase Tomi’s Neurolink to +2.

This will be our team. I know Ei doesn’t have his Neurolink to +2 yet, but I ran out of Meta-Chips!

Okay, we’re now at the for-real final attempt for this wave (at least for now). I’ll skip through summarizing it a bit, but if you inexplicably care to watch it, here it is.

Besides the usual Sentry Guns and Interceptors, we have one new (old) armament we can try, courtesy of Ei: Anti-Air Defensive Flares.

Maybe this’ll give us a bit of a buffer to the south.

They’re still coming in fast and furiously…

Once Ei gets the EP, we also try setting off some flares to the north side to quickly block a recent deployment of kaiju.

And why don’t we make it a full circle for good measure?

One thing that you can’t really see in these shots is that one of the Terra Carriers is literally inside the southeastern set of flares. I have no idea how it got so close to the terminal so quickly. But we dispatch it quickly enough with a few Leg Spikes (and a Rush Attack from Ei to finish it off).

And that’s all of them. Feeling good about this one, guys.

Brawling Prodigy is legitimately one of the coolest (and best) skills in the game. It increases the damage of Leg Spike proportionally with distance moved. I think what that means is, the further you travel from your initial position to perform a Leg Spike, the more damage that Leg Spike does.

I Work Alone increases Ei’s Attack and WT recovery speed when no allies are nearby, incentivizing sending him far away from the terminal. It’s a cool skill, but one that might cause us to overextend and get ourselves in trouble.

Hell yeah!

Wave 2-3 time. This time, we need Hijiyama.

Ryoko to +2 Neurolink, you know the deal.

We unlock Hijiyama’s Composite Ceramic Armor and slot it in to replace Tackle.

I’m now realizing that I didn’t use Shu once despite deploying five times in this one. Well, uh… sorry, Shu.

Video: Destruction Wave 2-3

Gross.

Judging by the data we got earlier, it’s not the same as the RPF we fought before… Looks like its design was improved, too.

What do we know about this kaiju? Any extra intel could help here.

The RPF was made for deep space exploration.
It’s the ultimate manufactory. Its nanomachine forge can handle all steps of production, even raw material synthesis. It’s an auto-propagating machine that can generate near-endless copies of itself.
A true monster…

Sentry Gun and Interceptors to start, you know the drill.

There’s only one RPF on the field to start, but more will drop soon (both the regular and upgraded variety. Some will deploy Twintails or Drillflies, some G-Molers, and some will just make barrages of missiles to shoot at you.

We had to bring Hijiyama, so let’s get some use out of him. Demolisher Blade all these clowns.

This shot is really just here because an interesting quirk of our Sentry Gun placement caused them all to fire directly at the Terminal for some reason. I guess there was an enemy or a missile or something headed over there? Whatever, I found it mildly amusing.

This is probably like our fifth Sentry Gun placement this battle, which is… a lot. Not the most, though!

Well, it’s like this… The RPF probably didn’t show up before this loop. We’ve seen the Deimos system using not only civic development machines, but space exploration tech. So if the system’s expanding its reference data based on its opponents, then… Based on current feedback… it’s entirely possible…
What is? Stop dancing around it.

Wait… you’re not saying…?
I’m saying I’ve got a bad feeling about this.

No idea what that means, but it’s probably bad!

Get Lost! increases the power of Tomi’s armaments when her target is a certain distance away.

Prepared for Death, like the Ryoko skill we saw earlier, increases his Defense as his HP decreases.

Finally, Leadership increases all the stats of everyone on the strike team if Gouto is a member of the defense team.

That went well, but this was… a lot. Let’s just check out some of the Mystery Files and call this one.

And while we’re at it, let’s unseal some files with our accrued Mystery Points.

Well, that's gonna do it for today. ...I really need to speed up the rate at which we do Destruction, yikes.

Arist fucked around with this message at 02:02 on Dec 18, 2022

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

We’re honestly a little short on options at the moment, we’ve got like four or five plot blocks active. Let’s just head back to Shu.

Chapter 72: Shu Amiguchi 6

The dreams we’re seeing are actual events from the past… And it turns out this place is actually isolated…? *yawn*

Oh, you know, just the pop star Miyuki Inaba talking through my TV. Who the heck do I even talk to about this? If I just tell the truth, they’ll throw me in a loony bin.

Consider Tetsuya Ida

(Back in my dream… He called himself Tetsuya Ida. We look identical, but… that’s not my name, so… …… Well, it’s not just our names. He and I are totally different people.)

Consider That Dream

(The way Miyuki Inaba tells it… Those dreams weren’t from the future, like I thought they were. They already happened. It’s all in the past…)

Consider Miyuki Inaba

(The way she describes it… These aren’t just dreams and videos Kurabe-kun and I see. They’re actual events that happened in the past. The past of Tetsuya Ida…)

Using the words “past” and “future” here is getting mighty confusing because of each person’s relative position in the timestream. Ida is either your future or some alternate you, and you’re seeing his past… which is also the future. Simple.

Tomi Kisaragi isn’t here…

Probably for the best, actually. Bumping into her now would be super awkward.

Hey. You going home? Perfect timing. See, uh, about that video…
Sorry. I’m kind of in a hurry.
Oh… It’s cool.
……
Hm?
Oh… nothing.

Music: STAGNATION (Yoshimi Kudo)

Seems like something’s up with him. Maybe he’s figured something out too…? *sigh*

Nope, not here…

Detention is a cruel mistress.

*sigh* Maybe I need some fresh air.

Maybe I should just go public. Lay everything out in the open. I guess I could record Miyuki Inaba talking to me? Send that tape out to TV stations?

Amiguchi… …Just got poo poo on my mind. What about you? You look like hell. Somethin’ weighin’ you down?
Yeah… You could say that.

Remember when I skipped school for a few days?
What about it?

Stuck in the future.
……

Shu, you’re in no position to be doubting the insane things other people tell you.

Huh? Oh… You know that popstar Miyuki Inaba? She’s been showing up in my room every night. I don’t know what to do.

What’s up?
Yakushiji-san from Class 1-C. She said she wanted to talk to me today. Said she’d find me up here.
*sigh* This poo poo again…? Sheesh… Sometimes you’re real annoying to be friends with.

Oh, just stuff from middle school. Girls used to confess their love to me in front of him all the time. Oh, uh, wow… is that what this is about? I’m sorry, really… I’ve got feelings for someone else.
…That’s not what I came here to tell you.
Oh, sorry. Awkward. So, what *do* you need?

This might hurt a little, anyway.

Where *am* I?

Wait a minute… Is this the robot I saw in my dreams?

Tell them no scrambles. Showa-era weapons won’t do much against a Sentinel. We don’t know who’s on it, or what their intent is…

What’s it trying to do?

I believe that’s the last aerial lightweight craft designed by Okino. I thought it never even entered production…

Music: Ennui Vibes (Yoshimi Kudo)

I knew I was going up, but I can’t have gone that high…

It’s literally impossible, Shu. Your Sentinel flies using propellers, for crying out loud.

Altitude reading says… 2,078 meters…

You are now outside the enclosure.
I’m outside the wall now? So outside that, it’s just… space? What does all this mean…? I saw a lot of these huge robots in my dreams, but… None of them could fly…
That is Sentinel No. 20…

Does Yakushiji work for you?
The Sentinel was never meant to be transmitted. They found us.
Who’s they?
Intruders from another district. They left their origin point and came to your world.
Another district? Wait, there’s more than one of these places?
We need to hide the Sentinel. I can’t do anything for you here. You have to go back to your sector.

This thing’s got propellers…

Okay, good, he does realize how that works.

Music: Self Sacrifice (Yoshimi Kudo)

I knew it…’S like I keep saying… We’ve gotta be soulmates…

Kinda hoped I’d see you one more time before I died.

This is really cheesy, bro. But honestly? Probably a lot more romantic than most of the poo poo you pull. You know, ignoring the giant robot you just crashed.

Yuki, on the other hand, is having none of it.

Four-eyes…

If you’ll notice, Yuki edges back toward Shu when Ida arrives, almost protectively. Heh.

Cooperate with us, and I can guarantee your safety. If not, you will be institutionalized.

I really, *really* hate being talked down to. Especially from guys like you.

Ha!

Easy, Amiguchi.

……
She is a member of our organization.

You were part of her assignment. She was sent to monitor pilots like you. That’s why she was transferred to Sakura High School.

I suggest you cooperate, Shu Amiguchi. For Takamiya’s sake, if nothing else.

And Shu finally finds out Yuki’s terrible secret, oh no!

Looks like we’ll have to do a bunch more Destruction to unlock the final Shu scene.

Arist fucked around with this message at 02:04 on Dec 18, 2022

Maigius
Jun 29, 2013

I had a theory while reading: The sectors are multiple copies of the same area set up to appear like different times, but running concurrently on the same alien planet.

WarpedLichen
Aug 14, 2008

More games should have the siren timeline thing so we can figure out what the hell is going on.

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

Hey, everyone. Thanks for following the LP. I'd say we're at about the 2/3 mark, maybe a little less (our Remembrance progress is at 63%, for reference). I know that means it's a little late to be making any kind of sweeping changes to the format of this thing, but I think I should probably do this anyway: if I was to shift the format of the Destruction updates to be mostly video-based (with commentary being, most likely, subtitled), would people be fine with that? I feel like right now they're just kind of a necessary evil, and I often don't have much to say about them (and neither do you, for that matter :v:). This was originally a much longer post where I was soliciting feedback about a bunch of different things in the LP, but I decided it was weird to beg my audience for constructive criticism like that and just cut it down to the thing I thought was most important.

NGDBSS
Dec 30, 2009

That sounds fine to me. As is I have to keep the video open on one screen and the text part of the update on my other screen to understand what's going on, so combining those into one would be helpful.

Fantastic Foreskin
Jan 6, 2013

A golden helix streaked skyward from the Helvault. A thunderous explosion shattered the silver monolith and Avacyn emerged, free from her prison at last.

I've been scrolling past most of them. Given my druthers if you posted the post-fight commentary in the thread that'd be ideal, but it wouldn't be a bother just to skip to the end of a video if thats easier.

malkav11
Aug 7, 2009
I personally haven't been watching the videos and inserting mandatory videos into text LPs tends to really slow down consuming them for me, so I prefer the current format.

habituallyred
Feb 6, 2015
Pick out the single most exciting moment and screenshot that. Everything else can just stay in the video. And definitely cut the retries to hit S rank.

GimmickMan
Dec 27, 2011

I'll admit I've only been skimming the destruction updates for the bits with character dialogue or story development in them.

If you can screenshot just those parts when you post a new video, that would be ideal for me.

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

I would definitely still put the pre- and post-fight conversations in the text of the update, don't worry.

mycelia
Apr 28, 2013

POWERFUL FUNGAL LORD

Yeah, I've been skimming them too. I'm just here for the story. Filthy casual, etc etc.

Hunt11
Jul 24, 2013

Grimey Drawer
Do whatever makes your life easier.

Ace Transmuter
May 19, 2017

I like video games

Arist posted:

I would definitely still put the pre- and post-fight conversations in the text of the update, don't worry.

This is probably the most important part; there's some really good stuff in these.

SporkChan
Oct 20, 2010

One day I will proofread my posts well, but today is not that day.

GimmickMan posted:

I'll admit I've only been skimming the destruction updates for the bits with character dialogue or story development in them.

If you can screenshot just those parts when you post a new video, that would be ideal for me.

Has there even been story development in them? I've only been skimming so it wouldn't be a surprise if I missed something, but all I've been seeing is discussions about the actual fights.

As for the question that was posed by OP; like I said I've been skimming the fight sequences. They look like they might be fun to play, but I don't have ability to watch videos most of the time and going screenshot only makes it very hard to understand what is happening. I'd be fine with just condensing those updates to the pre and post fight dialogue, but a video of the fight for those who want to watch makes sense as well.

Ace Transmuter
May 19, 2017

I like video games

SporkChan posted:

Has there even been story development in them? I've only been skimming so it wouldn't be a surprise if I missed something, but all I've been seeing is discussions about the actual fights.

As for the question that was posed by OP; like I said I've been skimming the fight sequences. They look like they might be fun to play, but I don't have ability to watch videos most of the time and going screenshot only makes it very hard to understand what is happening. I'd be fine with just condensing those updates to the pre and post fight dialogue, but a video of the fight for those who want to watch makes sense as well.

There is eventually story development within the battles but primarily in the later battles, and nothing that mid-battle screenshots wouldn't be able to convey.

You will miss the overwhelming smarm of hearing Amuguchi talk about putting "on a show for Yuki-chan" but as fun as a lot of the in-battle barks are they get repetitive pretty fast.

Mostly there are just really nice character moments in the pre- and post- battle conversations.

Happy Landfill
Feb 26, 2011

Hunt11 posted:

Do whatever makes your life easier.
Hard agree. Streamline that poo poo!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SweaterGear
Jan 4, 2010

There's a Monopenguin! :swoon:
I actually really like the Destruction updates! I just have nothing to say about them except that they look like fun to play. Honestly, if there are updates I skim it's about half of the cast's stories since I'm either not invested or I just plain don't like the characters.