Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

bawfuls
Oct 28, 2009

Oh maybe the differences is I don't care at all about raising my mmr. I've never reset it and my win rate seems right around 50% so it is accurate enough. (524 matches over the last 12 months with a 50.57% win rate. In the past 60 games it is exactly 50%)

When I play ranked it's largely because that's where Role Queue is, which makes drafting much smoother in my experience. Before Role Queue, at least a quarter of my games would have obvious role conflict/disorder, like two people picking and bickering over mid, or only one support, etc.

Ranked also seems to have somewhat better odds of people taking team play seriously (i.e. communication & coordination) playing heroes they know well, etc.

I play unranked either when I want to practice a new hero (usually in Turbo so I can get more games in quicker) or because we have 4 friends in party and thus can't queue ranked. In the latter scenario we will often pick less familiar heroes or weird builds to dick around.

bawfuls fucked around with this message at 19:55 on Jan 11, 2022

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Uncle Spriggly
Jan 29, 2009
Been turboing as Arc Warden and going for first item Midas. It's pretty much a guaranteed win if the opposing team can't close out the game in 15 minutes. Something is very jacked about the clone and cooldown reduction items paired with a midas.

Copper For Lyfe
Jun 1, 2011

bawfuls posted:

Oh maybe the differences is I don't care at all about raising my mmr. I've never reset it and my win rate seems right around 50% so it is accurate enough. (524 matches over the last 12 months with a 50.57% win rate. In the past 60 games it is exactly 50%)

When I play ranked it's largely because that's where Role Queue is, which makes drafting much smoother in my experience. Before Role Queue, at least a quarter of my games would have obvious role conflict/disorder, like two people picking and bickering over mid, or only one support, etc.

Ranked also seems to have somewhat better odds of people taking team play seriously (i.e. communication & coordination) playing heroes they know well, etc.

I play unranked either when I want to practice a new hero (usually in Turbo so I can get more games in quicker) or because we have 4 friends in party and thus can't queue ranked. In the latter scenario we will often pick less familiar heroes or weird builds to dick around.

I quite dota2 in 2017 after clocking over 4k hours, almost playing exclusively unranked before I quit due to the consistently dumb drafts and toxicity.

I startede playing again in September when we went in to lockdown here in aus, and have exclusively played ranked role queue, and its a completely different environment to how I remember dota being years ago.

I just try to have fun every game regardless of win/lose, and id say 90% of the people I run into are pretty chill, even on the enemy team, and the toxicity has been replaced by everyone having some good old banter in all chat and laughing together. They're the odd dickhead every now and then, but the game is so much more enjoyable for me this time around.

Also, after somewhere near 5k games, my wins and losses in ranked are only like 2 games apart. 50% win rate is real.

flashman
Dec 16, 2003

Stan Taylor posted:

For some reason my boys hate turbo mode but it’s really good for trying out a new hero imho. Hate solo queue but I still do it when trying out a new guy or something. Helped me nail the OD meteor hammer combo timing. That poo poo sucks so much lmao.

Turbos are great for spamming a hero and getting familiar with his battle style against generally farmed dudes.

Plank Walker
Aug 11, 2005

flashman posted:

Turbos are great for spamming a hero and getting familiar with his battle style against generally farmed dudes.

it would be cool if there was like an "arenas" mode that was basically multiple rounds where you get increasing amounts of skill points and gold to spend and only have to team fight. i guess basically auto chess minus the auto

DNK
Sep 18, 2004

Battlerite. Rip

Geight
Aug 7, 2010

Oh, All-Knowing One, behold me!

ILL Machina posted:

You playing ranked by chance? I've been in unranked and it's been...rough...after almost five years away from playing regularly.

I play ranked solo but unranked w/ my buddy because he's weird about the number

ILL Machina
Mar 25, 2004

:italy: Glory to Italia! :italy:

Ayy!! This text is-a the color of marinara! Ohhhh!! Dat's amore!!

DNK posted:

Battlerite. Rip

Rip. And the royale game too.

If you guys random in aghs lab, you can play heroes you haven't unlocked btw.

And there's some poo poo about passive items that will work while in your backpack if they're in there when you become a courier. And you can increase your trap room move speed by picking your boots up after someone goes through the doorway ahead of you.

ILL Machina fucked around with this message at 23:34 on Jan 12, 2022

Plank Walker
Aug 11, 2005

ILL Machina posted:

Rip. And so the royale game too.

If you guys random in aghs lab, you can play heroes you haven't unlocked btw.

And there's some poo poo about passive items that will work while in your backpack... And you can increase your trap room move speed by picking your boots up after someone goes through the doorway ahead of you.

yeah the boots trick is everyone drops their boots, 3 of you stay in the room you just beat, 1 goes in bootless, you turn into animal couriers and can pick up your boots again, and someone has to bring the 1st guy's boots to him

i learned this from someone typing "drop boots" and pinging me for 5 min straight who refused to explain any of it when i asked "why"

bawfuls
Oct 28, 2009

Not just boots, you can do it with any items that have movement speed on them. With Eul's + boots I think I was up to like 490 movespeed in a trap room once, which really lowers the difficulty

ILL Machina
Mar 25, 2004

:italy: Glory to Italia! :italy:

Ayy!! This text is-a the color of marinara! Ohhhh!! Dat's amore!!
Played with a mars with a basher and a mage slayer in his bp. Somehow you can glitch almost anything passive through the backpack. I double checked the magic resist which def did stick, not sure about the on hit procs.

ILL Machina fucked around with this message at 01:22 on Jan 13, 2022

DNK
Sep 18, 2004

ILL Machina posted:

Played with a mars with a basher and a mage slayer in his bp. Somehow you can glitch almost anything passive through the backpack. I double checked the magic resist which def did stick, not sure about the on hit procs.

From reddit u/Naterdoo: Go into a trap room and turn into a courier. In this state, put your passive items into your backpack. When traps are done, those items will still apply INSIDE your backpack as long as you don't move them. Stats, passives, auras all still work. Congrats, you now have 9 usable slots. Maybe fill those slots with bracers just cause you can.

edit: this totally works. Here's my 2 minutes of thinking about it item tier list:

Octarine Core - Purely passive, basically built on every hero
Null Talisman - Extremely cheap, 3% spell damage and some mana regen
Blight Stone / Orb of Corrosion - Cheap Armor Reduction
Cloak - 500g for 15% magic resist
Voodoo / Morbid Mask - 10% spellvamp and/or 10% lifesteal are situationally really good
Drums - Cheap aura / stats
Vlads - Aura / Stats

Just to comment on it since the op mentions it: bracers are kinda bad except for the fact they give +5 str. Passive health regen is useless compared to the other items listed above.

Edit2: Tested with neutral items. Does not work with neutral items.

DNK fucked around with this message at 03:39 on Jan 14, 2022

Geight
Aug 7, 2010

The tricky part is having a trap room show up when you've got the money to spend on extra stuff but when it all lines up it's very powerful

Sab669
Sep 24, 2009

I watched Season 1 of Dragon's Blood and was largely indifferent on it. Saw Season 2 was getting great feedback on /r/DOTA2 so I'm half way through the second episode now and man I just don't care?

Is there anyone who is enjoying it but isn't already a fan of anime? I have zero interest in the art style and I feel like that's gotta be a large part of the appeal of the show right? Because as an actual story, characters, voice acting etc. all that is just doing nothing for me.

As a huge fan of DOTA I want to like it but :shrug:

sugar free jazz
Mar 5, 2008

Sab669 posted:

I watched Season 1 of Dragon's Blood and was largely indifferent on it. Saw Season 2 was getting great feedback on /r/DOTA2 so I'm half way through the second episode now and man I just don't care?

Is there anyone who is enjoying it but isn't already a fan of anime? I have zero interest in the art style and I feel like that's gotta be a large part of the appeal of the show right? Because as an actual story, characters, voice acting etc. all that is just doing nothing for me.

its bad, very bad

r/dota2 is full is reddit posters hth

Sab669
Sep 24, 2009

I really don't know why I go to the sub, 90% of the posts are just Tweets by pros/casters. I like watching TI and Majors but I couldn't care less about any of the drama surrounding it. I've been playing for a decade -- as of today, actually -- and I still have no loving clue who Kyle is or why anyone pays him any attention.

TOOT BOOT
May 25, 2010

I feel like 20% of the remaining playerbase is completely unhinged. It's a fairly frequent occurence for people to throw because of poo poo that happened in the first 3 minutes. Sometimes it's obvious right away but other times the game ends 50min later and you find out they were quietly seething the whole time because of some item someone bought or hero they picked.

Sab669
Sep 24, 2009

I can't remember the last time I've actively had someone try to throw.

Like a year ago I had someone say "just testing out a new PC build" and then abandoned 15 minutes into a match but that's all I can think of.

bawfuls
Oct 28, 2009

last night I played an unranked game where somehow two of us thought we were pos1 during the draft and yet we still ended up winning

not getting tilted paid dividends

Superrodan
Nov 27, 2007
People try to throw all the time in my games, using the tried and true method of insulting anything and everyone that doesn't play exactly the way they think that the game should be played and ignoring their own mistakes. This in turn tilts someone else who loses motivation or gets so hung up on arguing that they forget how to play.

Neither player thinks they're throwing, yet both are in different ways.

Dr. Capco
May 21, 2007

Pillbug
The key to dota is going into the game and playing like its a bot match. Your allies and enemies moves will make more sense and tilt you less.

Stan Taylor
Oct 13, 2013

Touched Fuzzy, Got Dizzy
I actually had one of the worst teammates I’ve ever had in more than a decade of playing this game just last week. I was in a three stack and our whole team was crushing, two of their t2s down within 20 minutes. Jugg on our team says let’s wait for the second rosh to take t3s and this dude on our team goes absolutely ballistic after being silent all game. Literally shrieking into the mic, pinging everyone and then announced he’s going to jungle the ready of the game. Ended up taking an hour to finally eke out the win because he… wanted to end it earlier?

He literally did nothing but farm the jungle and avoid fights for 40 minutes.

Terminal autist
May 17, 2018

by vyelkin
When the gently caress is the patch. This OD hero needs to go back and spend another few years in time out

Geight
Aug 7, 2010

Sab669 posted:

I like it, but I like anime/dota and don't have standards in either regard, so I can't really say "actually it's great, here's why" or anything. I was hoping the pacing issues in the first season were from Netflix changing the runtime of every episode after the studio had already started animating the show, but they seemed to carry over into the second season so I think they're just trying to tell way too much story all at once. If the seasons weren't so short, I think it would help a lot.

I haven't had anyone actively trying to throw games lately but I have had a couple dudes that consistently made such bad moves I began to suspect they were intentionally doing it, but since they started from minute zero I couldn't imagine why!

sugar free jazz
Mar 5, 2008

It’s a bad show with bad storytelling a bad story bad animation bad writing bad everything. It’s just bad

Mat Cauthon
Jan 2, 2006

The more tragic things get,
the more I feel like laughing.

Sab669 posted:

I'm pretty ambivalent about anime in general but I liked both seasons. That said, I haven't played this game in 4 years at this point so maybe that has something to do with it. S1 felt a lot tighter narratively but S2 started to branch out a bit more and draw on some of the more unique aspects of the setting.

A third season is all but guaranteed at this point so it must be doing fairly well even outside of the established player base.

Smythe
Oct 12, 2003
i havent finished season 2 yet but the show pisses me off kuz theres a billion heroes in dota and basically none of them are in this show. ALSO invoker is portrayed wrong.

anime invoker: cool calm collected

dota invoker:

https://static.wikia.nocookie.net/dota2_gamepedia/images/5/59/Vo_invoker_invo_level_05.mp3

https://static.wikia.nocookie.net/dota2_gamepedia/images/a/a1/Vo_invoker_invo_level_10.mp3

Smythe
Oct 12, 2003
invoker is supposed to be insane, evil, and crazy. not this anime guy. gently caress sakes.

Acerbatus
Jun 26, 2020

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Sab669 posted:

It's terrible. It's barely DotA even, it's just a lovely knockoff of netflix castlevania.

Like I've watched some mediocre anime for properties I've liked and had a good time but this is like 4/10 lol

a way better show would've just been independent vignettes of like, bristleback and tusk fighting or Juggernaut's backstory but that isn't ~dark and mature~ I guess.

TOOT BOOT posted:

I feel like 20% of the remaining playerbase is completely unhinged. It's a fairly frequent occurence for people to throw because of poo poo that happened in the first 3 minutes. Sometimes it's obvious right away but other times the game ends 50min later and you find out they were quietly seething the whole time because of some item someone bought or hero they picked.

I had a pos 1 miss every cs in the first 4 waves then just give all our wards to the other team and farm a single jungle camp.

this is over 6k mmr. a pos 1 probably waited for nearly half an hour for that game.

Smythe posted:

i havent finished season 2 yet but the show pisses me off kuz theres a billion heroes in dota and basically none of them are in this show. ALSO invoker is portrayed wrong.

anime invoker: cool calm collected

dota invoker:

https://static.wikia.nocookie.net/dota2_gamepedia/images/5/59/Vo_invoker_invo_level_05.mp3

https://static.wikia.nocookie.net/dota2_gamepedia/images/a/a1/Vo_invoker_invo_level_10.mp3

in some ways i respect that there's like a half paragraph of backstory to remember yet they completely ignore all of it.

Acerbatus fucked around with this message at 07:53 on Jan 29, 2022

turboraton
Aug 28, 2011
dota 2 anime is cool and good

RealityWarCriminal
Aug 10, 2016

:o:

Terminal autist posted:

When the gently caress is the patch. This OD hero needs to go back and spend another few years in time out

They said soon after the dpc regional finals end, which is February 20.

Original_Z
Jun 14, 2005
Z so good
The problem with the dota2 anime is that most of the characters are so bland and generic and don't seem to have much development, especially those which were introduced in season 2. If they weren't dota characters that I already knew about I probably wouldn't care if/when they get killed off.

Whether or not you like League, at least in their anime, characters are the ones from the actual game and not a bunch of generic ones. I don't know why they're so stingy with using the heroes in the dota anime.

Sab669
Sep 24, 2009

Yea Arcane was obscenely good, I was really surprised at how much I enjoyed it

Geight
Aug 7, 2010

If your high-five is about to time out and you run to one of the hand towers they'll high-five you, and I think that's great.

Smythe
Oct 12, 2003

Sab669 posted:

Yea Arcane was obscenely good, I was really surprised at how much I enjoyed it

some of my friends watched it and liked it but i cant kuz im a dota supremacist and cant sully my mind with league trash

Smythe
Oct 12, 2003
oh look its teemo how kawaii. gently caress off. hentai cum freak.

Nanomashoes
Aug 18, 2012

This league champ is a kpop idol with impostor syndrome ok gently caress off.

causticBeet
Mar 2, 2010

BIG VINCE COMIN FOR YOU
my favorite league hero is the one that some weirdo artist made based on a girl he was orbiting without their knowledge

Geight
Aug 7, 2010

I believe that is the same hero as the kpop idol with imposter syndrome.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

sugar free jazz
Mar 5, 2008

causticBeet posted:

my favorite league hero is the one that some weirdo artist made based on a girl he was orbiting without their knowledge

lol what