Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

galagazombie posted:

Something that TNG got (and to a lesser degree DS9) was that you had to make a place people lived in actually livable. Even today the D looks comfy. Pleasant lighting, the chairs are almost lazy-boys, soft textures. Everything in current sci-fi trek included is the opposite. Harsh lighting, bare sheet metal surfaces, jagged edges, everyone sits on uncomfortable looking chairs. The D was designed to make you want to live there. Modern stuff is designed to make you glad you don’t.

I've heard that modern antarctic bases use a similar design philosophy because basically that's what you do if people are going to be stuck in the same closed-up areas for long periods of time because they will literally die if they go outside.

The Star Wars aesthetic is less about making areas look fun to live in and more about making them looked lived-in, often even when the actual environment seems hostile to people living there. These are the things that need to be in the space, and well too bad if it's not pretty or comfortable.

Deptfordx posted:

Anybody got any good badly damaged spaceships (still in space, not crashed) for a RPG game?

The only one that I can remember that has a good render is the Ravager.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Robot Style
Jul 5, 2009

SlothfulCobra posted:

The Star Wars aesthetic is less about making areas look fun to live in and more about making them looked lived-in, often even when the actual environment seems hostile to people living there. These are the things that need to be in the space, and well too bad if it's not pretty or comfortable.

Tatooine in particular works well because so many locations are just places in Tunisia where people already lived. Matmata is full of underground dwellings like that, and the Lars homestead was just filmed at a hotel in town. The Mos Eisley Cantina exterior was just somebody's house, Obi-Wan's house was a mosque, and even the slave dwellings in Episode I were actually grain silos.

Cross-Section
Mar 18, 2009

https://twitter.com/howieeday/status/1330755629804265475?s=20
I made a little noise when I saw the left one in full

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

🎧Listen to Cylindricule!🎵
https://linktr.ee/Cylindricule

haveblue posted:

That's fanart, this is the (only) in-game sprite for the record:

I always figured the lava was because you got sent to the industrial/power sector, most of the time it seems to be occupying intentional channels and storage pools

And yeah, it was Deimos.

I've never played the game or even heard of it before now, but the wiki says the ship is capable of sustaining long-term self-repairs, so I'm going to guess it's something like that. Melting down interior rock into slag as you excavate and mine new spaces within Deimos, and extract raw materials for repair and production. Makes sense for a generation ship.

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

SlothfulCobra posted:

I've heard that modern antarctic bases use a similar design philosophy because basically that's what you do if people are going to be stuck in the same closed-up areas for long periods of time because they will literally die if they go outside.

They should really have done up Stargate's Atlantis base this way

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

Lazy Fair posted:

Sure it's obviously influenced by the styles of the 80's with all the beige, but features such as the carpeting, large sweeping windows, curved surfaces, occasional natural materials, and large soft lighting panels make it feel like it's built by a civilization which was rapidly surpassing mundane utilitarian designs in space ships. Another huge factor is the LCARS display design, which I feel is pure genius. It basically looks like abstract art, and the ubiquitous use of touchscreen displays was a surprising degree of foresight.

I've mentioned this before somewhere I think but one of the most 'sci-fi' little touches to TNG is that ubiquitous little infinite stripe of screen casually running down all the corridors, not doing anything, just there so if you ever want anything you can just turn to the wall to see it.

It feels much more futuristic than other shows where they have screens every now and then always lit up with controls.

Bug Squash
Mar 18, 2009

A 3d print of this would make a killer Space Alert board.

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

A big part of the Antarctic bases is colour, they all have big bright colour walls and elements to visually stimulate people, which I like to bring up when people talk about TOS and all those big slabs of primary color in the sets. (that the reboots and retcons like to replace with shiny white walls)

Brawnfire posted:

They should really have done up Stargate's Atlantis base this way

I did like that when they arrived all the plants were dead and a few episodes in they go and get live ones to replace them with to make the place more homey.

MikeJF fucked around with this message at 19:44 on Jan 8, 2022

Vernii
Dec 7, 2006

Deptfordx posted:

Anybody got any good badly damaged spaceships (still in space, not crashed) for a RPG game?

Like artwork? Here's a bunch I collected on my sci-fi tumblr.

Blistex
Oct 30, 2003

Macho Business
Donkey Wrestler
This topic inspired me to watch Event Horizon to see how unfriendly the spaceship's design was (ignoring the horror aspects).

Tell me that ship is habitable for more than a week. The med bay is a row of autopsy tables for God' sake. The interior (to 14 year old me) was never for a second believably designed by humans, for humans to inhabit. Sure the weird aspects of the engine section could be handwaved, but there wasn't a single soft object in the entire ship.

Also :stonk: at the . . . "Interesting" restraining method being employed here. https://youtu.be/wtgS7s_CNUk?t=72

Don't want to make any judgements, but anyone else getting a bad vibe?

Lazy Fair
Sep 23, 2019

galagazombie posted:

Something that TNG got (and to a lesser degree DS9) was that you had to make a place people lived in actually livable. Even today the D looks comfy. Pleasant lighting, the chairs are almost lazy-boys, soft textures. Everything in current sci-fi trek included is the opposite. Harsh lighting, bare sheet metal surfaces, jagged edges, everyone sits on uncomfortable looking chairs. The D was designed to make you want to live there. Modern stuff is designed to make you glad you don’t.

Yeah this really gets to the core of it, it's a shame few if any other sci-fi settings seem interested in trying to do something similar. Why not a comfy space ship?

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."

Blistex posted:

This topic inspired me to watch Event Horizon to see how unfriendly the spaceship's design was (ignoring the horror aspects).

Tell me that ship is habitable for more than a week. The med bay is a row of autopsy tables for God' sake. The interior (to 14 year old me) was never for a second believably designed by humans, for humans to inhabit. Sure the weird aspects of the engine section could be handwaved, but there wasn't a single soft object in the entire ship.

All of this. Like, I get that it’s a haunted house in space, but even before that, it’s super unfriendly looking everywhere.

Prolonged Panorama
Dec 21, 2007
Holy hookrat Sally smoking crack in the alley!

Lazy Fair posted:

Yeah this really gets to the core of it, it's a shame few if any other sci-fi settings seem interested in trying to do something similar. Why not a comfy space ship?

Probably because most space ships are presented in-universe as working vessels or warships. Real world examples of which aren't usually terribly comfortable or nicely appointed, for obvious reasons. There are counterexamples for spaceships that are pleasure yachts, or cruise ships, etc. And once you get to really large-scale ships, imagined interiors start to mimic large buildings like malls with atria, balconies, broad staircases etc, trending towards just having a normal looking town under an artificial (or real!) sky as you get closer to big enclosed habitats.

It really just depends what sort of story you're trying to tell, and about what kind of characters. Star Trek has a lot of scientists and diplomats living in a post-scarcity utopia, so putting them in a relatively enormous and comfy ship makes sense - that's how real-world scientists and diplomats live too (assuming they're well off). The new Trek movies are more about the Enterprise as a warship and its crew as military personnel, so it looks like an aircraft carrier from the future instead.

A good video that covers this by examining exactly how crazy huge and sparsely occupied (one aspect of personal luxury - plenty of personal space to be comfy in) the Enterprise D is, compared to real-world vessels:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Lwx5uB0pyhQ

Vavrek
Mar 2, 2013

I like your style hombre, but this is no laughing matter. Assault on a police officer. Theft of police property. Illegal possession of a firearm. FIVE counts of attempted murder. That comes to... 29 dollars and 40 cents. Cash, cheque, or credit card?

Prolonged Panorama posted:

A good video that covers this by examining exactly how crazy huge and sparsely occupied (one aspect of personal luxury - plenty of personal space to be comfy in) the Enterprise D is, compared to real-world vessels:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Lwx5uB0pyhQ

My favorite thing about that video is the point that it's actually well supported by the interior shots in TNG and TOS. There's frequently some people in the hallways, on Kirk's Enterprise. But on the Enterprise-D, you get a strong sense that somebody might walk half a mile through the corridors and not see another person. It's not like there's nobody, but you wouldn't be surprised if you just see anyone.

jeeves
May 27, 2001

Deranged Psychopathic
Butler Extraordinaire
The D should have had way more people on it-- it seemed crazy understaffed. The Constitution famously had ~400 crew on it, and it was 1/4th the size (and way smaller volume).

The infamous TNG Tech manual states that it can hold up to something like 10K or 30K people in the event of emergencies or something, which sounds about right if everyone is forced to bunk up instead of condos for everyone.

Modern US air craft carriers have ~5000 people on it, and that's not even counting the huge support fleet that each has around it at all times.

chainchompz
Jul 15, 2021

bark bark
I really like the aesthetic of the UNSC ships in the Halo games but I feel like they could use more greebles. I wonder if that design choice is a lasting impact of early cgi coming off of practical effects?

jeeves
May 27, 2001

Deranged Psychopathic
Butler Extraordinaire

chainchompz posted:

I really like the aesthetic of the UNSC ships in the Halo games but I feel like they could use more greebles. I wonder if that design choice is a lasting impact of early cgi coming off of practical effects?

Yeah the original Xbox wasn't really a graphical powerhouse.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
Considering the Infinity is an ugly ship compared to the beautiful simplicity of the Pillar of Autumm or the In Amber Clad, I'm fine without extra greeblies.

I always liked the Bebop looking fairly comfortable, in a dumpy, rundown apartment kind of way.

The Rocinante from Expanse needs some carpets. Of course given the extreme focus on velocity and newtonian physics a carpet would probably decapitate someone during a high G burn.

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal

Arc Hammer posted:

Considering the Infinity is an ugly ship compared to the beautiful simplicity of the Pillar of Autumm or the In Amber Clad, I'm fine without extra greeblies.

When you have GPU constraints on your polygon count and rely on bump maps for detail, your ship inevitably becomes a collection of large slabs with little windows on them. Ships couldn't be really greebly until the Xbox 360 games

(The Xbox was actually the most powerful of that generation's 3 consoles, but that's not saying a lot in 2001)

galagazombie
Oct 31, 2011

A silly little mouse!
Halo was following the rules. Humans fly gray rectangles, aliens fly shiny ovals. Bungie didn’t make the rules they were just following the law.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?

haveblue posted:

When you have GPU constraints on your polygon count and rely on bump maps for detail, your ship inevitably becomes a collection of large slabs with little windows on them. Ships couldn't be really greebly until the Xbox 360 games

(The Xbox was actually the most powerful of that generation's 3 consoles, but that's not saying a lot in 2001)

Oh I know. But what makes the Halo human ships good isn't the bump mapping, it's that they managed to use a bunch of big slabs to make a cool design.

Star destroyers are just triangles with a stack of various hexagons on top and they're some of the most iconic starships out there. Pillar of Autumn is a big long hexagon, the frigates are three rectangles stacked onto a gun. They'd look good with or without extreme texture maps.

So when you get to the 360 games with the Charon and Paris frigates, they still look beautiful because the base design of In Amber Clad was really good and simple. And now they've got a fresh coat of paint.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

jeeves posted:

The Constitution famously had ~400 crew on it, and it was 1/4th the size (and way smaller volume).

It was explicitly based on the size and crew complement of modern US aircraft carriers of the day.

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

Lazy Fair posted:

I think it's a mixed bag. For a large part, it seems like a lot of the more "rustic" spaceship designs are exaggerating how barren it'd be. A container ship can actually end up having pretty nice quarters.

You can even rent out a room on a cargo ship if you wanna just get away for a while and go somewhere slowly.
https://www.insider.com/photos-sail...rt-of-chiwan-20
https://www.thrillist.com/travel/nation/what-the-hell-is-a-cargo-cruise-magnificent-that-s-what

Even a modern semi truck can have a decent bed.

Although I guess in some ways, some sci-fi settings underestimate how spartan things can get on a small ship.

(officers get a little nicer rooms)

And a modern navy ship can still pack them in if it needs to.

CaptainCrunch
Mar 19, 2006
droppin Hamiltons!
Amusingly enough, Star Trek: Lower Decks touches on that. It’s not all beige loungers and picture windows for the enlisted crew of the USS Cerritos!

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to
I'm playing through Mass Effect Legendary collection and I just started ME2, and when you go to talk to Joker when you get the SR2 Normandy, he straight up says "Military ships have the tech, but civilian ships have comfort".

Gravitas Shortfall
Jul 17, 2007

Utility is seven-eighths Proximity.

I very deliberately set out to have all my ships in No Man's Sky be white and purple.

Robot Style
Jul 5, 2009

Have they just started putting prequel ships into the game?

Gravitas Shortfall
Jul 17, 2007

Robot Style posted:

Have they just started putting prequel ships into the game?
The ships are all generated using pre existing parts for each ship class, some of which are obviously based (and even named after) ships from various sci-fi franchises. So my metallic purple and white fighter is "Stubby chassis, single engine, heavy and tie auxiliary parts"

Tree Bucket
Apr 1, 2016

R.I.P.idura leucophrys

Gravitas Shortfall posted:

I very deliberately set out to have all my ships in No Man's Sky be white and purple.

You maniac! Spaceships aren't purple!!

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

Tree Bucket posted:

*a Jem'Hadar fighter swoops u*

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to

I never got far enough in NMS to get a new ship.

Farmer Crack-Ass
Jan 2, 2001

this is me posting irl

Tree Bucket posted:

Yes they are :colbert:

(i love the hiig battlecruiser)

(also admittedly that's not the usual paint job i use, i just did up a game to grab some screenshots so i could be contrarian :v:)

Gravitas Shortfall
Jul 17, 2007

twistedmentat posted:

I never got far enough in NMS to get a new ship.

You can get a freighter (the big capital ships) pretty much as soon as you get hyperdrive working. Every time you jump to a new system there's a chance you'll turn up mid space-battle, and if you destroy all the pirates you get offered a freighter. Unlike every other ship in the game, freighters can be painted whatever color(s) you want, though you have to unlock each paint color separately.

Freighters also let you store multiple ships, so if you find a crashed one you can add it to your collection and repair it slowly rather than just swapping it with your functional starter ship (and leaving yourself stranded). You can find crashed ships using a Signal Booster.

Crashed ships are usually a bit poo poo tho, even after repair, you can buy fancier ones from their pilots at Space Stations, but they're pretty expensive. If you're after a specific look/style of ship, there's a whole subreddit dedicated to where to find them, though to get to the coordinates you'll need to power up a portal which is a whole other ballache.

Also sometimes the ship generator throws up things like this:

Roomy!

Twenty Four
Dec 21, 2008

Farmer Crack-rear end posted:

Yes they are :colbert:

(i love the hiig battlecruiser)

(also admittedly that's not the usual paint job i use, i just did up a game to grab some screenshots so i could be contrarian :v:)

This broke my brain for a second. I suppose I own the remastered ones, but I only played the original, and I don't remember paint jobs being a thing so I had one of those Mandella effect moments, except maybe not I guess lol.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

You can get a freighter (the big capital ships) pretty much as soon as you get hyperdrive working. Every time you jump to a new system there's a chance you'll turn up mid space-battle, and if you destroy all the pirates you get offered a freighter. Unlike every other ship in the game, freighters can be painted whatever color(s) you want, though you have to unlock each paint color separately.

Freighters also let you store multiple ships, so if you find a crashed one you can add it to your collection and repair it slowly rather than just swapping it with your functional starter ship (and leaving yourself stranded). You can find crashed ships using a Signal Booster.

Crashed ships are usually a bit poo poo tho, even after repair, you can buy fancier ones from their pilots at Space Stations, but they're pretty expensive. If you're after a specific look/style of ship, there's a whole subreddit dedicated to where to find them, though to get to the coordinates you'll need to power up a portal which is a whole other ballache.

Also sometimes the ship generator throws up things like this:

Roomy!

I always love seeing a good Scooty Puff

Twenty Four posted:

This broke my brain for a second. I suppose I own the remastered ones, but I only played the original, and I don't remember paint jobs being a thing so I had one of those Mandella effect moments, except maybe not I guess lol.

They were always a thing! You could make your ships any color but black originally. If you tried to modify some files so they were black anyway, it'd detect it and set you to pink, or at least that was the story that went around about it.

Twenty Four
Dec 21, 2008

RBA Starblade posted:

They were always a thing! You could make your ships any color but black originally. If you tried to modify some files so they were black anyway, it'd detect it and set you to pink, or at least that was the story that went around about it.

I guess I vaguely remember this I think I just never did it because they looked cool as is and why goofy up a good thing.

chainchompz
Jul 15, 2021

bark bark
I like NMS but after awhile I didn't like how in a recent update settlements are prebuilt set pieces. I wanna be able to build a weird rear end recreation of Vivec and make that my settlement.

If Empyrion Galactic Survival had NPCs worth a drat or had ones that would move into your base I'd do it there. If anything, I really like building massive capital ships in that game because you do it piece by piece.
Edit: and some of my favorite space ships are the ones I have designed and built.

chainchompz fucked around with this message at 20:23 on Jan 13, 2022

Autodrop Monteur
Nov 14, 2011

't zou verboden moeten worden!
I love the R-Type ships

Just you in your tiny ship against the baddies.

You use the aliens' embryos as weapons against them!

Cool battleships as well

Some fighters can even change into mecha!

ORB

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

A spaceship from a rare sci-fi isekai that has way too long of a name with a bunch of variations.

There's not much details actually about the ship, it's just got panels that guns and rockets come out of. There is a whole thing about where they go into how their spacefood works with cartridges made out of algae and lab-grown meat, but unfortunately there is no soda in space.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.
Star Trek Online has decided to answer the question "What if the Enterprise-D had a drunken one-night stand with a D'Deridex warbird?"