Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Warrior Princess
Sep 29, 2014

What?
The bolt has always felt slightly off to me. Like GM got so close to something really good, then threw it in reverse for a bit, stopped, and said "This is fine."

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ola
Jul 19, 2004

Warrior Princess posted:

The bolt has always felt slightly off to me. Like GM got so close to something really good, then threw it in reverse for a bit, stopped, and said "This is fine."

ACC + slightly better interior would have made a big difference IMO.

knox_harrington
Feb 18, 2011

Running no point.

My girlfriend drove the 130km home from the mountains and the car was still totally iced up when she got home. I wonder how much that affects the aerodynamics. We got lazy and didn't use the car cover for the last week.

movax
Aug 30, 2008

Warrior Princess posted:

IMO it’s because it fell under the Chevrolet banner. We have a 2019, I generally like it, but man there are some silly stupid misses IMO on what should be the top trim level.

cruft
Oct 25, 2007

movax posted:

IMO it’s because it fell under the Chevrolet banner. We have a 2019, I generally like it, but man there are some silly stupid misses IMO on what should be the top trim level.

Please elaborate!

Speleothing
May 6, 2008

Spare batteries are pretty key.

Warrior Princess posted:

It's because GM thought that they were in a battle to hit the 37k price point. Being the first "mass-market" EV with a large battery was a pretty big deal back in '16 and all the media chatter was about affordability, not features.

Of course, with hindsight we can see that Tesla never really wanted to sell inexpensive Model 3s so the price war seems silly.

Endymion FRS MK1
Oct 29, 2011

I don't know what this thing is, and I don't care. I'm just tired of seeing your stupid newbie av from 2011.

cruft posted:

Please elaborate!

Objectively, the lack of adaptive cruise (despite the Volt having it) and the lane keep being garbage.

Subjectively, the seat quality (I personally thought they were comfy enough) and interior material (I actually thought the pattern looked cool)

CannonFodder
Jan 26, 2001

Passion’s Wrench

cruft posted:

Yeah, I think it's almost exclusively this, and the association with Teslas and complete and utter douchebags. As has been demonstrated many times right here ITT.

I should threaten to buy jr an Audi instead. Maybe we'd see a change of heart.

e: Like, there's a lot of poverty in this state. Rolling into freshman year with a brand new luxury car isn't the sort of statement jr wants to make.
You mentioned the Volt already. It's a great car and looks sharp and rolling into freshman year with a 5 year old Chevy is the opposite statement compared to a new Tesla. I have no idea where he would charge it up, but it would be fine for bopping around town and then use the gas engine to go home for the holidays.

If you could somehow find a NiroEV and get it shipped to your place, it would have the same problem with charging slowly on CCS instead of Tesla Supercharger speeds. Even the fast EA chargers that say 150kwh only charge at 50kwh for me.

Evil Robot
May 20, 2001
Universally hated.
Grimey Drawer

Peanut3141 posted:

cruft, have you considered a Prius Prime for cruft jr? Rock solid reliability, ~30mi range when able to charge, and ~70mpg when not.

+1 to this thought. I would also say a significant portion of the reason I didn't buy a Tesla was Elon.

DoubleT2172
Sep 24, 2007

Buying a new car to get door dinged dozens of times in college parking lots sounds like a great idea

Endymion FRS MK1
Oct 29, 2011

I don't know what this thing is, and I don't care. I'm just tired of seeing your stupid newbie av from 2011.

DoubleT2172 posted:

Buying a new car to get door dinged dozens of times in college parking lots sounds like a great idea

Also this. I went through college in a decade old beige Stratus and refused to upgrade until I graduated

movax
Aug 30, 2008

cruft posted:

Please elaborate!

Like the other posters said, it's most interior things. It's all livable, but at the top trim, power seats would have been nice, memory as well (I never understood as a single person why memory seats were a thing, and now dating someone who's 4'10", I 100% get why they are a thing!). ACC would have been nice, I never use the lane keep when I drive so don't really care about that. CarPlay is solid though, which is a plus.

They had aggressive price targets to hit + I could maybe see a weight argument for power seats, but otherwise it's a pretty nice little EV runabout for the city. Our other car is a (slowly dying) 16 year old A4 I post about in the VW/Audi thread and that does the job for getting out to the mountains / longer drives.

Also the app seems to suck / doesn't really do very many useful or practical things.

It seems like a decent play right now (assuming it's not already dead) would be finding a high mileage Bolt, running VIN to confirm if recall has been done yet, and enjoying your fresh battery whenever they get around to it. I saw some 2017 Bolts with north of 50K miles for ~$15K a few months ago.

CannonFodder
Jan 26, 2001

Passion’s Wrench

Endymion FRS MK1 posted:

Also this. I went through college in a decade old beige Stratus and refused to upgrade until I graduated

Lol I drove a Breeze.

Proper college cars are beaters.

cruft
Oct 25, 2007

movax posted:

It seems like a decent play right now (assuming it's not already dead) would be finding a high mileage Bolt, running VIN to confirm if recall has been done yet, and enjoying your fresh battery whenever they get around to it. I saw some 2017 Bolts with north of 50K miles for ~$15K a few months ago.

This feels like a pro move, if you can stomach storing a potential fire risk until your car's ready for the new battery. This may actually be one of the few used cars you can get right now that isn't insanely priced. If I'm not mistaken, they have a software kludge that prevents you from charging past 80% until you get a new battery. Either manually keeping the charge under 80%, or getting this software patch from a service center, would yield something like a 2017 Nissan LEAF (at 2017 LEAF pricing), with a guarantee of a brand new battery in under a year that would extend the range.

In my particular case, it's looking like the Volt is the way to go: there's jack squat for charging at the university right now. And the Volt also seems to be somewhat reasonably priced for a used PHEV.

CannonFodder
Jan 26, 2001

Passion’s Wrench

cruft posted:

This feels like a pro move, if you can stomach storing a potential fire risk until your car's ready for the new battery. This may actually be one of the few used cars you can get right now that isn't insanely priced. If I'm not mistaken, they have a software kludge that prevents you from charging past 80% until you get a new battery. Either manually keeping the charge under 80%, or getting this software patch from a service center, would yield something like a 2017 Nissan LEAF (at 2017 LEAF pricing), with a guarantee of a brand new battery in under a year that would extend the range.

In my particular case, it's looking like the Volt is the way to go: there's jack squat for charging at the university right now. And the Volt also seems to be somewhat reasonably priced for a used PHEV.
Are there level 2 chargers around campus? just like near the library or something. A Volt can fully charge in a few hours on a level 2 and cruft jr should be spending time doing the learning things while the car charges.

Plugshare is your friend for finding level 2 chargers.

Kia Soul Enthusias
May 9, 2004

zoom-zoom
Toilet Rascal
Speaking of memory seats why do cars still only have a limit of 2? Out of RAM? 🤪

Kia Soul Enthusias
May 9, 2004

zoom-zoom
Toilet Rascal
Also I requested a refund from greenlots cause their poo poo doesn't work.

Kirios
Jan 26, 2010

Lord help me I just bought a 2019 Leaf.

movax
Aug 30, 2008

Charles posted:

Speaking of memory seats why do cars still only have a limit of 2? Out of RAM? 🤪

Mercedes does 3, but it's probably validation cost / room for buttons or something stupid like that.

cruft posted:

Yeah, I can't be the only one with this idea but it just seems like a no-brainer, especially if you already park outside and generally like the Bolt. We still park our Bolt indoors (2019) but I'm comfortable with the SW update issued + limiting charge rate.

Nfcknblvbl
Jul 15, 2002

Charles posted:

Also I requested a refund from greenlots cause their poo poo doesn't work.

Waaay back I had to make a $1 deposit into their lovely app even though I was at a free charging station. Now all the stations in my area are either gone or ran by someone else. Good riddance.

CannonFodder
Jan 26, 2001

Passion’s Wrench

Kirios posted:

Good car, don't drive far, enjoy it! :)

Kirios
Jan 26, 2010

I'm actually very excited! I almost got a 2016 but the duration scared me (60 miles at full capacity, 15.2k). This one only has 4k miles on it and cost 22.7k.

Bone Crimes
Mar 7, 2007

Kirios posted:

I'm actually very excited! I almost got a 2016 but the duration scared me (60 miles at full capacity, 15.2k). This one only has 4k miles on it and cost 22.7k.

nice! 40kWh or 60?

Kirios
Jan 26, 2010

Just 40kWh. They didn't have any used 60!

darnon
Nov 8, 2009

Charles posted:

My 2014 Fusion has 3 but I think newer ones went down to 2. Which makes sense since most cars come with 2 keys and you can link the presets to specific keys.

cruft
Oct 25, 2007

Kirios posted:

Congratulations! Post a picture!

I love our 2017 LEAF. I also friggin' hate it. It's complicated.

CannonFodder posted:

Are there level 2 chargers around campus? just like near the library or something. A Volt can fully charge in a few hours on a level 2 and cruft jr should be spending time doing the learning things while the car charges.

Plugshare is your friend for finding level 2 chargers.

I wish plugshare had a way to share a map location, but yes, there's a chargepoint at the convention center adjacent to campus that charges a surprisingly low 13¢/kWh. It's a little weird comparing this second largest university in the state to, say, Clark Community College in Vancouver WA that has three charging stations in the main parking lot.

cruft fucked around with this message at 21:30 on Jan 11, 2022

YOLOsubmarine
Oct 19, 2004

When asked which Pokemon he evolved into, Kamara pauses.

"Motherfucking, what's that big dragon shit? That orange motherfucker. Charizard."

darnon posted:

My 2014 Fusion has 3 but I think newer ones went down to 2. Which makes sense since most cars come with 2 keys and you can link the presets to specific keys.

The Mach E has 3

mattfl
Aug 27, 2004

My Model Y has 3 if you count the valet + 2 drivers

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Runner-up, TRP Sack Race 2021/22

Charles posted:

I've seen three on quite a few cars but I wonder how many cars actually get driven by three drivers that switch enough and use the car enough to warrant memory settings. Two seems sufficient to me.

Kia Soul Enthusias
May 9, 2004

zoom-zoom
Toilet Rascal

KYOON GRIFFEY JR posted:

I've seen three on quite a few cars but I wonder how many cars actually get driven by three drivers that switch enough and use the car enough to warrant memory settings. Two seems sufficient to me.

I share my car with family. Maybe a compromise would be if you held down the button for 3 and 4?

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

The Polestar has only two buttons but it also sets the seat position based on the profile you select in the main display so I wonder if it can support more.

Edit: The forums seem to say that this is the case and that the software profile memory is independent of the physical button memory

Tiny Timbs fucked around with this message at 22:25 on Jan 11, 2022

cruft
Oct 25, 2007

mattfl posted:

My Model Y has 3 if you count the valet + 2 drivers

Our Model 3 has 6 or 7, which includes valet and easy entry.

Kirios
Jan 26, 2010

cruft posted:

Congratulations! Post a picture!

I love our 2017 LEAF. I also friggin' hate it. It's complicated.

What is it that you hate about it?

Ola
Jul 19, 2004

cruft posted:

Our Model 3 has 6 or 7, which includes valet and easy entry.

I believe the maximum is 10 (+ valet and easy entry), which you could then link to 10 different mobile phone keys.

cruft
Oct 25, 2007

Kirios posted:

What is it that you hate about it?

I listed this out pages ago, so if you want a better-thought-out list, it's in the thread somewhere. But I don't want to search back for it and I certainly am not going to ask you to.

My main gripes are:

• No thermal management of the battery, which in practice doesn't seem to matter but offends my engineering sense
  • Really not much control over how high you charge, so we are constantly juggling not letting it sit at 100% (sitting around at 100% is bad for batteries)
  • Having to depend on CHAdeMO, a standard so old that Electrify America said in 2021 they're not going to build any more chargers for it
  • Charge rate capped at 50kW
  • They never actually delivered on their promise that you could power your house with a charged LEAF battery :argh:
  • The option to remove a paired bluetooth device comes before the option to switch which bluetooth device is active, and after you select it, the next menu looks exactly the same for both options
  • The backup camera doesn't make the little lines turn when you turn the wheels

You didn't ask, but here are some things I love about it:

• It was what made lots of people realize EVs could be used like other real cars
  • It looks absolutely bizarre
  • I cannot argue with the fact that it just goes, every time I want it to
  • It was a splendid way to give Cruft Jr an 80-mile leash without hobbling any functionality
  • There's something inherently fun about it--more than the Model 3--that I can't really explain. Maybe it reminds me of high school: making my own decisions about things, and spending a lot of time thinking about how to get another body in the passenger seat, possibly with the seat fully reclined if it's the right body.

cruft fucked around with this message at 23:41 on Jan 11, 2022

Elviscat
Jan 1, 2008

Well don't you know I'm caught in a trap?

Your list of loves and hates for the Leaf are the same as mine.

It's the perfect commuter car, economical, peppy, decent creature comforts, it's really quite peppy getting on the highway and whatnot, it's way more fun to drive than a little underpowered hatchback has any right being.

I think the worst thing about the Leaf is it makes me want to buy a Rivian so I can have one EV that meets all my 4 wheeled transportation needs.

Kia Soul Enthusias
May 9, 2004

zoom-zoom
Toilet Rascal

cruft posted:

• There's something inherently fun about it--more than the Model 3--that I can't really explain. Maybe it reminds me of high school: making my own decisions about things, and spending a lot of time thinking about how to get another body in the passenger seat, possibly with the seat fully reclined if it's the right body.

Mostly the same list for the Kia Soul EV. It's very similar to a Leaf. But it has a fun aspect to it that's difficult to explain. It's only 109hp. But it's relaxing to drive. A certain je ne sais quoi. Or maybe that's just cause I bought it and have to like it. ;)

Kirios
Jan 26, 2010

Wow Android Auto is pretty fantastic. I've clearly been missing out!

KingKapalone
Dec 20, 2005
1/16 Native American + 1/2 Hungarian = Totally Badass
I see a video of the Ionic 5 and it looks about the size of a regular hatchback and not the SUV I thought it was. Anyone know how the size compares to the Mach-E? I liked the size of that but I'm hearing good things about the Ionic except it's not available around me so but sure if it's worth waiting for with no ETA.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

YOLOsubmarine
Oct 19, 2004

When asked which Pokemon he evolved into, Kamara pauses.

"Motherfucking, what's that big dragon shit? That orange motherfucker. Charizard."

KingKapalone posted:

I see a video of the Ionic 5 and it looks about the size of a regular hatchback and not the SUV I thought it was. Anyone know how the size compares to the Mach-E? I liked the size of that but I'm hearing good things about the Ionic except it's not available around me so but sure if it's worth waiting for with no ETA.

It’s the same size as the Mach-E.