Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Which horse film is your favorite?
This poll is closed.
Black Beauty 2 1.06%
A Talking Pony!?! 4 2.13%
Mr. Hands 2x Apple Flavor 117 62.23%
War Horse 11 5.85%
Mr. Hands 54 28.72%
Total: 188 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

Mellow Seas
Oct 9, 2012
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Gripweed posted:

Why wouldn't we get another major wave? How do you see this ending anytime soon? Genuinely, what reason is there to believe that Covid won't still be a major problem three years from now other than really wanting it not to be?

I'm not sure why you're taking my post that included the word "if" and another "if" embedded within that "if" as an affirmative prediction of anything.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

brugroffil posted:

Better almost two years late than never, I suppose

https://twitter.com/bylenasun/statu...ingawful.com%2F

They really need to shut the gently caress up with the notion that KN95s/N95s are any more complicated to wear than cloth or surgical masks for anyone who isn't working in a hospital. The worst case for any normal attempt at wearing them is still going to be far better than a neck gaiter.

And yes I know a third of Americans will try to wear them sideways

Tiny Timbs fucked around with this message at 16:49 on Jan 11, 2022

MadJackal
Apr 30, 2004

The number of idiots intentionally lying about their symptoms to get a rapid test “just in case” after sitting in the waiting room for god knows how long is too drat high.

Do NOT go to doctor’s offices in person if you can help it. You WILL be exposed by half-vaxed or anti-vax people with just a little sore throat and rhinorrhea who say they’re there for a suspiciously early annual exam.

brugroffil
Nov 30, 2015

Mellow Seas posted:

We're not even halfway to 2 million; we've obviously botched the gently caress out of this wave but "hopefully" it should only take a couple hundred thousand more. If the fallout from omicron results in a better public health response - disallowing large events, encouraging respirators (oh hey, some good news on that!), universal masking - then we can stay well under 2 million.

I bolded the large events because how the gently caress have we not done this???? It really makes any individual's efforts feel useless when they're still cramming thousands of people into arenas to watch NBA teams that are basically G-league teams because all their stars have Covid. The NBA was really proactive in 2020 and I think they could send a huge message by closing their arenas to fans, but they're just... not.

If people are really unwilling to forgo even the most obvious superspreaders, then yeah, 2 million could easily happen by 2023 if we get another major wave.

FWIW the CDC estimated that total COVID deaths were something like 920k in early September 2021. Going off their projections, we're past 1M now and we've got ~15 more months to hit another 1M. It's not guaranteed but man, things still look pretty grim.

e: guess they're still sitting at 942k excess deaths as of today:

https://www.cdc.gov/nchs/nvss/vsrr/covid19/excess_deaths.htm

Still, the fact that we're staring down many more weeks of 2k+ daily deaths is abhorrent.

e2: why on earth do you think public health response is going to get better and not continually worse?

brugroffil fucked around with this message at 17:33 on Jan 11, 2022

Precambrian Video Games
Aug 19, 2002

PostNouveau posted:

I had no idea this hadn't happened already :psyduck:

They quietly changed their 'do not wear N95s' recommendation to 'do not wear specially labeled “surgical” N95 respirators' some time last year. Also, buried deep in the page on different types of masks is:

CDC posted:

Individuals who want to use a respirator for personal use should follow the user instructions exactly.
Fit testing (a process that uses specialized equipment) is the best way to determine if the respirator fits you. Even without fit testing, a well-fitting properly worn respirator may provide more protection than a mask. However, a poorly fitting or improperly worn respirator or mask may reduce its intended benefit.

Clear as mud, see?

VitalSigns
Sep 3, 2011

Gripweed posted:

I'm sure before we get to that point they'll have separated from Covid and with Covid and all official numbers will be completely useless.

Well actually the numbers are useless now because they haven't been separated into deaths with covid and deaths of covid, so it's too early to conclude whether the mild omicron variant is killing anybody or not

Weasling Weasel
Oct 20, 2010
Uk Omicron case wave may have peaked. 17% fall on the 7 day average. https://coronavirus.data.gov.uk/

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

VitalSigns posted:

Well actually the numbers are useless now because they haven't been separated into deaths with covid and deaths of covid, so it's too early to conclude whether the mild omicron variant is killing anybody or not

There's really no way to prove that omicron even has any symptoms, it might be a fully asymptomatic disease and a lot of people are coincidentally getting the flu at the same time.

StratGoatCom
Aug 6, 2019

Our security is guaranteed by being able to melt the eyeballs of any other forum's denizens at 15 minutes notice

Weasling Weasel posted:

Uk Omicron case wave may have peaked. 17% fall on the 7 day average. https://coronavirus.data.gov.uk/

Watch this end up causing another spike as folks and leaders act loving stupid.

dwarf74
Sep 2, 2012

Buglord

Tiny Timbs posted:

They really need to shut the gently caress up with the notion that KN95s/N95s are any more complicated to wear than cloth or surgical masks for anyone who isn't working in a hospital. The worst case for any normal attempt at wearing them is still going to be far better than a neck gaiter.

And yes I know a third of Americans will try to wear them sideways
I saw a lady yesterday wearing an N95 with her nose poking out the top.

How do you get informed enough to know N95 is what you want, while doing that stupid poo poo.

Spacebump
Dec 24, 2003

Dallas Mavericks: Generations

dwarf74 posted:

How do you get informed enough to know N95 is what you want, while doing that stupid poo poo.

A family member bought the mask for her maybe?

How are u
May 19, 2005

by Azathoth
My gf has been feeling pretty lovely for a few days now. Very slight fever, dry cough, and a little headache. We got PCR tests yesterday, so we'll find out in a couple of days. So far I felt a little off last night, but feel totally normal this morning. Could it be my time? Tune in to find out!

Rust Martialis
May 8, 2007

At night, Bavovnyatko quietly comes to the occupiers’ bases, depots, airfields, oil refineries and other places full of flammable items and starts playing with fire there

How are u posted:

My gf has been feeling pretty lovely for a few days now. Very slight fever, dry cough, and a little headache. We got PCR tests yesterday, so we'll find out in a couple of days. So far I felt a little off last night, but feel totally normal this morning. Could it be my time? Tune in to find out!

A/V/C???

lil poopendorfer
Nov 13, 2014

by the sex ghost

dwarf74 posted:

I gave my mom an n95 and she immediately said “it’s too hard to breath in!”

So I’m guessing it’s that. To their credit, I don’t recall any kind of official guidance from CDC on proper use of mask (even though it’s pretty obvious).

dwarf74
Sep 2, 2012

Buglord

lil poopendorfer posted:

So I’m guessing it’s that. To their credit, I don’t recall any kind of official guidance from CDC on proper use of mask (even though it’s pretty obvious).
It's weird because these 9210+ masks I got are so much more comfortable, overall, than cloth earloop ones. More of a pain to put on and take off, sure, but no less breathable - and I like how it's away from my mouth.

These have directions right on the packaging.

Professor Beetus
Apr 12, 2007

They can fight us
But they'll never Beetus
As a glasses wearer, headband style N95s were a revelation. Before I switched I'd been wearing cloth masks with ear loops and I couldn't keep my glasses from falling off constantly. Having to shave was a small price to pay for added safety and comfort.

How are u
May 19, 2005

by Azathoth
I will never shave for this virus. Bury me in my beard, if you have to.

CSM
Jan 29, 2014

56th Motorized Infantry 'Mariupol' Brigade
Seh' die Welt in Trummern liegen

Gripweed posted:

Why wouldn't we get another major wave? How do you see this ending anytime soon? Genuinely, what reason is there to believe that Covid won't still be a major problem three years from now other than really wanting it not to be?
Vaccines and infections build immunity in populations and viruses sometimes mutate into less severe variants like Omicron. That's how this stuff ends. Like previous pandemics have ended in history.

Professor Beetus
Apr 12, 2007

They can fight us
But they'll never Beetus

VitalSigns posted:

Gripweed posted:

There's really no way to prove that omicron even has any symptoms, it might be a fully asymptomatic disease and a lot of people are coincidentally getting the flu at the same time.

These reductive comments don't really serve to foster discussion. One of the biggest problems wrt Covid spread is that yes, many people do have it with no symptoms and are spreading it regardless. Also separating incidental asymptomatic Covid infections from people who are being treated for Covid is not the same thing as writing off Covid deaths as being caused by something else, as was being done in March 2020. I realize you are using typical goon hyperbole here but this is just straight up threadshitting.

brugroffil
Nov 30, 2015

CSM posted:

Vaccines and infections build immunity in populations and viruses sometimes mutate into less severe variants like Omicron. That's how this stuff ends. Like previous pandemics have ended in history.

Vaccines and infections built lots of immunity until omicron came along. How much more immunity-evading space does SARS-CoV-2 have?

ExcessBLarg!
Sep 1, 2001

CSM posted:

It's not clear that there's any real selection pressure towards "less severe" variants, other than maybe some causal relationship between the pressure towards "more transmissive" variants resulting in greater upper-respiratory manifestation that spares the lungs. Anecdotally we may be seeing that with omicron. Certainly this is going to be an interesting area for research over the next few years, but I don't think anything can be conclusively stated right now.

OddObserver
Apr 3, 2009

lil poopendorfer posted:

Official CDC guidance has been "why bother, those morons won't wear them properly anyway", so technically correct but utterly useless as many of their public communications.

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

CSM posted:

The vaccines and infections don't seem to be doing a great job building immunity in populations so far, considering that reinfections happen, the different variants don't confer as much resistance to each other, and the vaccination resistance drops off significantly in only a few months.

And I thought the argument that Omicron was mild was based on the idea that a vaccinated person with Omicron was statistically likely to have a much easier time than an unvaccinated person with original Covid. Which is not a useful use of the term mild in this discussion.

And you should look into what happened with the Black Death after the big kill off. It didn't go away. There were localized flareups throughout Asia and Europe for centuries afterwards. And that was with actual quarantines and without cars and airplanes.

Youth Decay
Aug 18, 2015

ExcessBLarg! posted:

It's not clear that there's any real selection pressure towards "less severe" variants, other than maybe some causal relationship between the pressure towards "more transmissive" variants resulting in greater upper-respiratory manifestation that spares the lungs. Anecdotally we may be seeing that with omicron. Certainly this is going to be an interesting area for research over the next few years, but I don't think anything can be conclusively stated right now.

There is very strong evidence that Omicron mutated and adapted to spreading in mice. In order to spread in mice it has to be "mild" enough, at least in terms of heart and lung symptoms, to not kill them too quickly. Mice are super easy to kill. When infected with previous COVID variants in a laboratory setting mice tend to die in the span of a couple days, whereas with Omicron they remain infectious for a week or more and often recover. Future strains will likely need to be able to spread via mice to be competitive with Omicron and so the pressure may be there to be less severe.

Gripweed posted:

And you should look into what happened with the Black Death after the big kill off. It didn't go away. There were localized flareups throughout Asia and Europe for centuries afterwards. And that was with actual quarantines and without cars and airplanes.
Also bubonic plague was/is easier to contain since it isn't airborne. An airborne disease is harder to contain unless you have a really good vaccine that everybody takes (smallpox).

Youth Decay fucked around with this message at 19:30 on Jan 11, 2022

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

Professor Beetus posted:

These reductive comments don't really serve to foster discussion. One of the biggest problems wrt Covid spread is that yes, many people do have it with no symptoms and are spreading it regardless. Also separating incidental asymptomatic Covid infections from people who are being treated for Covid is not the same thing as writing off Covid deaths as being caused by something else, as was being done in March 2020. I realize you are using typical goon hyperbole here but this is just straight up threadshitting.

I disagree with the idea that separating with Covid from from Covid will produce any positive or useful results. We know Covid is hardest on people with comorbidities. So there is enormous gray area where deaths can be attributed to Covid OR the pre-existing comorbidities. And we are seeing that there is a lot of political pressure to downplay or ignore the dangers of Covid. So separating out with Covid from from Covid would just be an excuse to massively underreport Covid cases and deaths for political purposes.

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Public school teachers are callous dictators who won't lift a finger to stop children from peeing in my plane
The entire idea that viruses evolve to be less deadly comes from the idea that, if you're severely ill or dead, you probably aren't doing much vaccine spreading. All variants of COVID so far have shown plenty of ability to transmit without an infected person showing immediate symptoms, so that probably won't apply here as much. Provided people are able to go out and spread the virus well before it becomes debilitating, there's not a huge selection pressure for the virus to become less severe.

Professor Beetus
Apr 12, 2007

They can fight us
But they'll never Beetus

Gripweed posted:

I disagree with the idea that separating with Covid from from Covid will produce any positive or useful results. We know Covid is hardest on people with comorbidities. So there is enormous gray area where deaths can be attributed to Covid OR the pre-existing comorbidities. And we are seeing that there is a lot of political pressure to downplay or ignore the dangers of Covid. So separating out with Covid from from Covid would just be an excuse to massively underreport Covid cases and deaths for political purposes.

If you have evidence that Covid deaths are currently being underreported or undercounted, and not just separating asymptomatic incidental cases from those being treated for Covid, go ahead and share it.

e: Anyway your follow up is fine and you certainly can have an opinion on whether categorizing cases with vs from Covid has any merit, I just want to cut down on shitposting because of the explosion this thread had a couple weeks ago.

Professor Beetus fucked around with this message at 19:29 on Jan 11, 2022

Alctel
Jan 16, 2004

I love snails

Gripweed posted:

I get it dude, nuance is hard

(this has been explained ad nauseam over the last few pages)

Fritz the Horse
Dec 26, 2019

... of course!

Gripweed posted:

The vaccines and infections don't seem to be doing a great job building immunity in populations so far, considering that reinfections happen, the different variants don't confer as much resistance to each other, and the vaccination resistance drops off significantly in only a few months.

And I thought the argument that Omicron was mild was based on the idea that a vaccinated person with Omicron was statistically likely to have a much easier time than an unvaccinated person with original Covid. Which is not a useful use of the term mild in this discussion.

I'm not an epidemiologist but iirc a significant difference with plague is that humans aren't the reservoir species, rodents are. The idea that SARS-CoV-2 will gradually adapt to human hosts and become less virulent might not apply the same way to plague, because long-term the reservoir for the bacteria that causes plague isn't humans, it's rodents.

I'm waayyyy out of my league talking viral evolution and whether SARS-CoV-2 should naturally get "milder" or not, I'm not making that claim. That's something to go to evolutionary virologists and epidemiologists about. Just pointing out the difference in reservoirs between plague and SARS-CoV-2.

UCS Hellmaker
Mar 29, 2008
Toilet Rascal

MadJackal posted:

The number of idiots intentionally lying about their symptoms to get a rapid test “just in case” after sitting in the waiting room for god knows how long is too drat high.

Do NOT go to doctor’s offices in person if you can help it. You WILL be exposed by half-vaxed or anti-vax people with just a little sore throat and rhinorrhea who say they’re there for a suspiciously early annual exam.

Now just imagine all these fuckers coming to the Ed because they want tested.

brugroffil
Nov 30, 2015

Seems like SARS viruses have plenty of non human hosts though

Youth Decay
Aug 18, 2015

Fritz the Horse posted:

I'm not an epidemiologist but iirc a significant difference with plague is that humans aren't the reservoir species, rodents are. The idea that SARS-CoV-2 will gradually adapt to human hosts and become less virulent might not apply the same way to plague, because long-term the reservoir for the bacteria that causes plague isn't humans, it's rodents.

I'm waayyyy out of my league talking viral evolution and whether SARS-CoV-2 should naturally get "milder" or not, I'm not making that claim. That's something to go to evolutionary virologists and epidemiologists about. Just pointing out the difference in reservoirs between plague and SARS-CoV-2.

See my post above. Relevant studies:
https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/labs/pmc/articles/PMC8702434/
https://www.researchsquare.com/article/rs-1211792/v1

brugroffil posted:

Seems like SARS viruses have plenty of non human hosts though
True, in addition to mice COVID has been found in minks, ferrets, deer, bats, cats, dogs, non-human primates, and a variety of rodents. The spread from animal to human so far appears to be minimal though, with the exception of the suspected jump from mice to humans in the case of the Omicron variant.

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

OddObserver posted:

Official CDC guidance has been "why bother, those morons won't wear them properly anyway", so technically correct but utterly useless as many of their public communications.

They didn't want to bother with an education campaign of any sort, at any point in the pandemic. Even the crappy cloth mask compromise guidance they put out would have benefitted from a nationwide education push.

Mellow Seas
Oct 9, 2012
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

StratGoatCom posted:

Watch this end up causing another spike as folks and leaders act loving stupid.
I dunno, can people act any more stupid? 75% of the population is doing literally nothing about it and the other 25% isn't going to get reassured by a brief drop in cases.

(e: I guess we should worry about leaders dropping their half-assed efforts to no-assed, which is bad - now is the time to start preparing for the next wave, if just to flatten the curve and take heat off hospitals, but I'm sure many will think it's time to relax again.)

How are u posted:

I will never shave for this virus. Bury me in my beard, if you have to.
:hai:

So I took an antigen test in a rejection of my negative PCR result from the saliva test. It is positive, but god drat is it barely positive.

An example positive (left), my test (right):

Make sure you look really close at your test strip!

Mellow Seas fucked around with this message at 20:09 on Jan 11, 2022

Rust Martialis
May 8, 2007

At night, Bavovnyatko quietly comes to the occupiers’ bases, depots, airfields, oil refineries and other places full of flammable items and starts playing with fire there

Professor Beetus posted:

I just want to cut down on shitposting because of the explosion this thread had a couple weeks ago.

Explosive poo poo is a known symptom of omicron. Just sayin' it should get tested.

Rust Martialis fucked around with this message at 20:18 on Jan 11, 2022

Foxfire_
Nov 8, 2010

PT6A posted:

The entire idea that viruses evolve to be less deadly comes from the idea that, if you're severely ill or dead, you probably aren't doing much vaccine spreading. All variants of COVID so far have shown plenty of ability to transmit without an infected person showing immediate symptoms, so that probably won't apply here as much. Provided people are able to go out and spread the virus well before it becomes debilitating, there's not a huge selection pressure for the virus to become less severe.
Most changes making viruses less severe are on the human side, not the virus side.

Like a swine flu or bird flu influenza aren't intrinsically more dangerous than a human one, they've just had many generations of antigen drift without human exposure, so previously built human immunity doesn't work well. With a human influenza, most people will have a crappy-but-much-better-than-nothing immune response ready to do damage control right away (it takes about 2 weeks to start spinning up something brand new).

The same thing is happening/likely to happen with COVID. A variant may avoid immunity enough to infect, but having no adaptive response for 2 weeks vs having a mediocre one for that time is pretty different

Dick Trauma
Nov 30, 2007

God damn it, you've got to be kind.
CEO with COVID came to work anyway. Two more people came up positive from yesterday's onsite test. Literally everyone here could work from home, but they won't close the office. If the CEO insists on keeping the office open there's no way we don't all get this disease.

EDIT: Goddamn CEO who usually spends all day in his office keeps circulating around the place, crowing about how he's the safest person to be around because he already had COVID and couldn't possibly be contagious.

I emailed my boss and HR and told them that I want to work from home. Curious to see how they respond.

Dick Trauma fucked around with this message at 20:55 on Jan 11, 2022

Fritz the Horse
Dec 26, 2019

... of course!
Meanwhile we're under a "shelter in place" order. All non-essential business and tribal gov't services are closed and schools remote for one week, might be extended. I don't think they're going to do a longer term "lockdown" but we'll see. Cases have been spiking and they're trying to give the testing/tracing task force time to catch up.

Unfortunately yesterday was also EBT day so the grocery stores (one of the few businesses open) were packed.

Zarin
Nov 11, 2008

I SEE YOU

Dick Trauma posted:

CEO with COVID came to work anyway. Two more people came up positive from yesterday's onsite test. Literally everyone here could work from home, but they won't close the office. If the CEO insists on keeping the office open there's no way we don't all get this disease.

EDIT: Goddamn CEO who usually spends all day in his office keeps circulating around the place, crowing about how he's the safest person to be around because he already had COVID and couldn't possibly be contagious.

I emailed my boss and HR and told them that I want to work from home. Curious to see how they respond.

Do you already have VPN/the ability to work from home?

If there's one thing I've come to realize during this pandemic, it's that leadership is GOING to fail you, repeatedly, on almost every level.

For myself, I've decided that I'll go back into the office when I'm comfortable in doing so, and stop going into the office when I become uncomfortable. I'm not really asking for permission on this; if I get called on it, then I'll say "sorry, didn't realize I needed to be there" and then figure out what I'll do from there.

Not sure what your situation is, and if you could quietly just stop going in without too many people noticing, but I will say that I'm just absolutely flabbergasted at how entirely useless every "leader" has been. I know what the right answer is (work remote, stay safe, keep everyone else safe), but for some reason the people who style themselves as "having vision" or whatever the gently caress take longer to see it than I do. Absolutely disappointing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dick Trauma
Nov 30, 2007

God damn it, you've got to be kind.

Zarin posted:

Do you already have VPN/the ability to work from home?

Just like my last workplace I have everyone set up with a laptop and VPN. Still waiting to hear if I'll be allowed to bail out.