Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Kyrosiris
May 24, 2006

You try to be happy when everyone is summoning you everywhere to "be their friend".

We've had to go through two different food switching processes with Sweetheart because she finally falls in love with a food just in time for it to be discontinued. :negative:

Why do you have to be a picky cat? :(

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

This particularly rapid💨 unintelligible 😖patter💁 isn't generally heard🧏‍♂️, and if it is🤔, it doesn't matter💁.

What is with the cat food shortage, anyway? The brand my kittens had been on since weaning suddenly vanished, I picked a substitute (Hill's Diet kitten food) and now that's gone in all flavors.

Blah blah pandemic blah blah supply chain?

Paperback Writer
May 1, 2006

Spent the past day freaking out because I was 75% sure my cat ate swallowed half a rubber band. Thankfully after looking in the cat poop I saw she had fully passed it. Rubber bands now #1 enemy in my home.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

I can be a bit of a slob but three things I always pick up and throw out instantly is twist ties, shrink wrap, and rubber bands. They're all cat magnets for some reason.

explosivo
May 23, 2004

Fueled by Satan

If we leave any plastic bags in our bedroom when we go to sleep there's a near 100% chance that my cat will be playing it like a set of bongos at 5:30AM

pidan
Nov 6, 2012

Yeah, my cat ate a small piece of plastic on the weekend I think. I heard her munching on plastic and when I reached her there was no plastic to be seen and the cat made a puking face but didn't puke. Thankfully nothing came of it, she's still pooping like normal. But you really have to keep an eye on small bits and bobs around the house.

D34THROW
Jan 29, 2012

RETAIL RETAIL LISTEN TO ME BITCH ABOUT RETAIL
:rant:
Wife went to Aldi yesterday to restock on wet food and there was nothing. Glad to know it's not just us.

Harriet Carker
Jun 2, 2009

xzzy posted:

I can be a bit of a slob but three things I always pick up and throw out instantly is twist ties, shrink wrap, and rubber bands. They're all cat magnets for some reason.

Twist ties are Latte's favorite toys. Throw one down on the floor and she'll be a happy cat for an hour plus!

Unrelated: Any recommendations on an airtight food container? We buy the 11.5 pound bags of kibble and would love to keep it fresher.

Harriet Carker fucked around with this message at 20:14 on Jan 11, 2022

InvisibleMonkey
Jun 4, 2004

Hey, girl.
Cautiously optimistic that Katya disapproved of the almost empty thing of salmon oil we mix through her kibble once a day, maybe it went bad before we could use it all. We left it out for a few days and since I opened a new one she's finished multiple meals start to finish today. I think she gets bad associations with food in general after a couple of lovely meals, she refused to eat wet food for a while after she had a stomach bug of some kind even when she got better after a few days of meds. Must be a cat??

Harriet Carker posted:

Twist ties are Latte's favorite toys. Throw one down on the floor and she'll be a happy cat for an hour plus!

Unrelated: Any recommendations on an airtight food container? We buy the 11.5 pound bags of kibble and would love to keep it fresher.

I'm sure it's not perfectly airtight but we use a flip-top bin and keep a measuring cup in tere for easy scooping. We top it up from the bag which I seal with one of those ikea chip-clips.

kw0134
Apr 19, 2003

I buy feet pics🍆

I've used this for nearly a decade now and it's been fine for my 22lb bags. The smaller bin on top I used for treats before the cats took it over for napping, but that's the right size for your storage needs if you have no intention of storing more than a 5 kg bag. Food stored within seems to be just fine after two months when I finally run out.

Edit:^^ that's good to hear, and yeah that sounds very much like cat. So that's a relief.

VelociBacon
Dec 8, 2009

InvisibleMonkey posted:

Cautiously optimistic that Katya disapproved of the almost empty thing of salmon oil we mix through her kibble once a day, maybe it went bad before we could use it all. We left it out for a few days and since I opened a new one she's finished multiple meals start to finish today. I think she gets bad associations with food in general after a couple of lovely meals, she refused to eat wet food for a while after she had a stomach bug of some kind even when she got better after a few days of meds. Must be a cat??

I'm sure it's not perfectly airtight but we use a flip-top bin and keep a measuring cup in tere for easy scooping. We top it up from the bag which I seal with one of those ikea chip-clips.

Super happy to hear Katya is eating again!

explosivo
May 23, 2004

Fueled by Satan

I got the microchip feeder in today and I'm too nervous to even get her to try to program it today because I don't want to freak her out about it. I read the stuff in the booklet about introducing a skittish cat to it by starting with just the bowl outside of the feeder entirely and I might have to do that. Really trying to not give her a negative association with this thing off the bat.

Edit: Okay yeah first feeding with just the bowl and she almost didn't even eat from that so this is definitely going to be a slow play introduction.

explosivo fucked around with this message at 22:35 on Jan 11, 2022

Weird Pumpkin
Oct 7, 2007

explosivo posted:

I got the microchip feeder in today and I'm too nervous to even get her to try to program it today because I don't want to freak her out about it. I read the stuff in the booklet about introducing a skittish cat to it by starting with just the bowl outside of the feeder entirely and I might have to do that. Really trying to not give her a negative association with this thing off the bat.

Edit: Okay yeah first feeding with just the bowl and she almost didn't even eat from that so this is definitely going to be a slow play introduction.

We got really lucky with them, once we showed our cats how to open them, socks took to it right away, and sage learned to use his from watching her

Pavarotti continues to be a handful. He hunts down treat bags with a prejudice and carry them off to savagely destroy them. He doesn't eat all the treats mind you, he just eats a few then leaves the bag there, torn apart

Takes No Damage
Nov 20, 2004

The most merciful thing in the world, I think, is the inability of the human mind to correlate all its contents. We live on a placid island of ignorance in the midst of black seas of infinity, and it was not meant that we should voyage far.

Grimey Drawer

Elvis_Maximus posted:

he just eats a few then leaves the bag there, torn apart

As a warning to the rest :black101:

Unrelated:

explosivo
May 23, 2004

Fueled by Satan

Developments! I put the feeder down just to see if I could get Leela's reading by putting some food in the bowl and she went right for it, it scanned her chip, then automatically went into active mode so the door closed on her which made her jump a lil but not run away. She then sat there for like 5 minutes opening and closing the door and getting closer to it and really just kinda watching. So I put some of her food in there with some treats and left it overnight. It doesn't look like she's eaten out of it yet but she knows how to open it and isn't running away from it scared when it does so I'm hoping it's a matter of time now before I start seeing some missing food.

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

:emptyquote:

kw0134
Apr 19, 2003

I buy feet pics🍆

explosivo posted:

Developments! I put the feeder down just to see if I could get Leela's reading by putting some food in the bowl and she went right for it, it scanned her chip, then automatically went into active mode so the door closed on her which made her jump a lil but not run away. She then sat there for like 5 minutes opening and closing the door and getting closer to it and really just kinda watching. So I put some of her food in there with some treats and left it overnight. It doesn't look like she's eaten out of it yet but she knows how to open it and isn't running away from it scared when it does so I'm hoping it's a matter of time now before I start seeing some missing food.
Cats are clever, especially when it comes to food*. When you're a hunting predator you don't exactly open your mouth and wait for food to fall in. She'll get it eventually.

*Not universal. Void where prohibited. Cats will be cats.

PriorMarcus
Oct 17, 2008

ASK ME ABOUT BEING ALLERGIC TO POSITIVITY

What's the best current calorie calculator?

Deviant
Sep 26, 2003

i've forgotten all of your names.

I bought a CatIt fountain, and the LED is super annoying at night.

Any other solution short of fully disabling or electrical taping over it?

explosivo
May 23, 2004

Fueled by Satan

kw0134 posted:

Cats are clever, especially when it comes to food*. When you're a hunting predator you don't exactly open your mouth and wait for food to fall in. She'll get it eventually.

*Not universal. Void where prohibited. Cats will be cats.

She's not, and I'm starting to get discouraged about it. I think the sound startles her enough that she's not sticking her head all the way in and then walking away when it doesn't open. But even when I open it for her she isn't interested. I recently moved it to a different spot, I think it might've been in a high traffic area for her before so maybe this way she'll be more willing to try it.

Raenir Salazar
Nov 5, 2010

College Slice

Emilia has been very obsessed with just hanging out on my computer desk when I'm working, so I gave her a throw blanket. :3:

VelociBacon
Dec 8, 2009

Raenir Salazar posted:

Emilia has been very obsessed with just hanging out on my computer desk when I'm working, so I gave her a throw blanket. :3:

Looks just like Quill!

floofyscorp
Feb 12, 2007

When I started working from home I put a basket on my desk. Best idea I ever had :kimchi:
https://twitter.com/floofyscorp/status/1471837971208888322?t=Unu1IBcVPAeqQG25ti8dsQ&s=19
https://twitter.com/floofyscorp/status/1475945933393350660?t=MBxUV5gTwuIQUOzrS40hrg&s=19

(Cinnamon is snoring in it at this very moment)

D34THROW
Jan 29, 2012

RETAIL RETAIL LISTEN TO ME BITCH ABOUT RETAIL
:rant:

Deviant posted:

I bought a CatIt fountain, and the LED is super annoying at night.

Any other solution short of fully disabling or electrical taping over it?

If I remember correctly, the LED is in the pump itself, you can get replacement pumps without the LED on Amazon. Just gotta make sure it's compatible with your model Catit.

kw0134
Apr 19, 2003

I buy feet pics🍆

explosivo posted:

She's not, and I'm starting to get discouraged about it. I think the sound startles her enough that she's not sticking her head all the way in and then walking away when it doesn't open. But even when I open it for her she isn't interested. I recently moved it to a different spot, I think it might've been in a high traffic area for her before so maybe this way she'll be more willing to try it.
Is she able to get food elsewhere? If she's sneaking bites from an easier source then she may decide it's not worth learning a new way of getting her regular meal. Is she highly food/treat motivated? If you open the flap and give her a treat afterwards then she'll associate the sound with Good Things™ which is often how you train cats. Otherwise I think you'll have to be a little persistent and patient.

Deviant
Sep 26, 2003

D34THROW posted:

If I remember correctly, the LED is in the pump itself, you can get replacement pumps without the LED on Amazon. Just gotta make sure it's compatible with your model Catit.

I used electrical tape. But I may get the one without and just move this one to an area where i'd appreciate a blasting blue light at 3am like the kitchen

Deviant
Sep 26, 2003

Double posting to wildly shift topics:

Anyone have a litter robot code? And what accessories are must have if any?

gloom
Feb 1, 2003
distracted from distraction by distraction

Raenir Salazar posted:

We had good luck paying attention to places where Kali liked to chill, and placing a throw blanket there. A little like that story about seeing where people trample the grass to figure out where to build a path. Back in the fall, she got really into this hammered metal bowl:

Later it was the bottom basket in this little tower we keep in the washroom. For a while it was on one of the bookshelves in the living room. Each time she took to a new spot, we moved the blanket for her. But then, once my partner started using it to wrap her up for administering medication, she began to avoid any place we put it. Now lately she's been back to sleeping in the bowl during the day, just on the bare metal:

I thought she would outgrow it (she's almost a year old, and her hind legs have gotten super long) but so far not :3:

pidan
Nov 6, 2012

Aww man I love the cat in the bowl

ShadowedFlames
Dec 26, 2009

Shoot this guy in the face.

Fallen Rib

Vil has decided that I am not authorized to play my PS5 this evening.

Jayne Doe
Jan 16, 2010
I got a cat bed for my desk because my cat kept trying to sleep with her head on my laptop and she turned out to be afraid of the texture of the cat bed, I guess?? She won't even sit on it for a high value treat - she'll gingerly put one paw on top of it and stretch out as much as she can to reach the treat. Cats.

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

Jayne Doe posted:

I got a cat bed for my desk because my cat kept trying to sleep with her head on my laptop and she turned out to be afraid of the texture of the cat bed, I guess?? She won't even sit on it for a high value treat - she'll gingerly put one paw on top of it and stretch out as much as she can to reach the treat. Cats.

Cover it with a shirt or hoody. One you've worn recently. That way it will smell and feel comfy.

a fatguy baldspot
Aug 29, 2018

What’s a decent, widely available, reasonably priced cat food? When I had a cat it was Blue Buffalo, but that’s risen a lot in price and I’ve read somewhere that it isn’t as healthy as it used to be. Partner is looking for an alternative to Meow Mix.

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

This particularly rapid💨 unintelligible 😖patter💁 isn't generally heard🧏‍♂️, and if it is🤔, it doesn't matter💁.

I strongly recommend ordering from Chewy. Free shipping over $65, and that includes really heavy poo poo like canned cat food.

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

a fatguy baldspot posted:

What’s a decent, widely available, reasonably priced cat food? When I had a cat it was Blue Buffalo, but that’s risen a lot in price and I’ve read somewhere that it isn’t as healthy as it used to be. Partner is looking for an alternative to Meow Mix.

It's anecdotal but my cat, and I know I've read about other cats, including another goon, got bladder stones (9 we're removed from my girl via surgery) while eating Blue Buffalo. I also know they lost a lawsuit a few years back over false claims.

I don't have advice on what to look for instead, since my cat has been on prescription food in the 10 years since.

VelociBacon
Dec 8, 2009

Royal Canin seems well regarded? Quill gets three cans (3oz cans) a day and it's around $180/month.

Fabulousity
Dec 29, 2008

Number One I order you to take a number two.

One month trip report on kitten:

The shelter said he had been returned for going to the bathroom outside the litter box but so far I've only seen one errant turd. He's using the boxes normally otherwise. The vet gave him a clean bill of health too so yay! He likes to be held which isn't a problem by itself but when he decides it's time he'll climb his chosen human like a tree without warning. We're all covered in scratches and small wounds. Not really sure what to do about that other than hope he grows out of it?

And in true cat fashion of all his toys his favorite is a bunch of packing paper from Christmas.

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

Fabulousity posted:

One month trip report on kitten:

The shelter said he had been returned for going to the bathroom outside the litter box but so far I've only seen one errant turd. He's using the boxes normally otherwise. The vet gave him a clean bill of health too so yay! He likes to be held which isn't a problem by itself but when he decides it's time he'll climb his chosen human like a tree without warning. We're all covered in scratches and small wounds. Not really sure what to do about that other than hope he grows out of it?

This is a great time to start training him! When he's curled up with you and relaxed, play with his feet. Once he's comfortable letting you hold his paws, gently press on his knuckles to extend his claws. Get to the point where he's cool with your messing with his feet just like he is with having you scritch his chin. He doesn't have to love it, he just has to not mind it.

Then get clippers (I actually like baby nail clippers for a kitten) and carefully carefully snip off the sharpest bits. Look at the nail sideways and make sure you are *only* cutting of the white part, never ever the dark part.

Good overview here:
https://pets.webmd.com/cats/guide/cat-nail-clipping-care#1

drunken officeparty
Aug 23, 2006

Even with clipped nails they will still get ya. Kittens do mostly grow out of it, they suck at knowing how to keep the claws in.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

drunken officeparty posted:

Even with clipped nails they will still get ya. Kittens do mostly grow out of it, they suck at knowing how to keep the claws in.

Disengagement teaches them pretty quick. If you make a hurt sound and get up and walk away and completely ignore them, that's cat talk for "you're playing too rough."

Hurts to get through that point but it'll teach them how to control biting you too.