Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Blindeye
Sep 22, 2006

I can't believe I kissed you!

wraith_5_ posted:

Yea Petro's biggest strength over Moskva is the shape/size of the ship. Needlessly too small, with turrets blocking big chunks of its tiny front deck. It's a hard ship to dig out bow in.

Spotting with your face is highly effective as well, and it's a tactic that's served me well with BBs that are good at disengaging/healing up.

But again, that requires your team shoots what you spot.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shaman Tank Spec
Dec 26, 2003

*blep*

You know what's awesome design? Having destroyers with drastically different ASW suites, but no targeting indicator. Boy it's a fun surprise when my Halland's depth charges are fired ahead of me. How far? Guess, motherfucker!

Velius
Feb 27, 2001

Shaman Tank Spec posted:

You know what's awesome design? Having destroyers with drastically different ASW suites, but no targeting indicator. Boy it's a fun surprise when my Halland's depth charges are fired ahead of me. How far? Guess, motherfucker!

The Druid is even better because it fires behind itself. Which historically? Probably useful, in the World of Warships? Not so much.

Burt
Sep 23, 2007

Poke.

What should be my next steel ship? Got the Stalingrad, so either Bourg or Yamato bigguns?

Gwaihir
Dec 8, 2009
Hair Elf
Bourg before shikishima. Shiki does nothing that Yama doesn't do (outside of slightly better than useless AAA), the best that you can say for it is that it gets the Yama legendary mod dispersion buff built in, so you can use reload mod instead.

wraith_5_
Aug 25, 2003
I'm a sub 49% WR for my career in WOWS for a variety of reasons, but even my rear end can clean up in ranked with Schlieffen.

wraith_5_ fucked around with this message at 03:52 on Jan 10, 2022

NTRabbit
Aug 15, 2012

i wear this armour to protect myself from the histrionics of hysterical women

bitches

James Garfield posted:

Petro has some of the worst guns of all the tier 10 cruisers so it isn't a great pick for that.

Because of the low HE DPM

wraith_5_
Aug 25, 2003

NTRabbit posted:

....which is highly pertinent when talking about taking DDs off the map.

NTRabbit
Aug 15, 2012

bitches

wraith_5_ posted:

....which is highly pertinent when talking about taking DDs off the map.

It's actually not so much, because it ignores how the extreme accuracy and high velocity make it just about the best cruiser for actually putting damage on a DD at radar range, where theoretical max DPM is an entirely worthless stat because the DPM monster light cruisers aren't going to land many, if any, hits.

Velius
Feb 27, 2001

NTRabbit posted:

It's actually not so much, because it ignores how the extreme accuracy and high velocity make it just about the best cruiser for actually putting damage on a DD at radar range, where theoretical max DPM is an entirely worthless stat because the DPM monster light cruisers aren't going to land many, if any, hits.

I mean, behind Moskva, which is dramatically more accurate with a much longer duration radar. The reason petro sees play is because it’s a pain in the rear end to kill and has a 12 km radar, not because it applies a ton of damage in competitive. The reason you don’t see Nevsky or DM in competitive much is because they don’t bow tank at all, much more than their utility or DPM.

Blindeye
Sep 22, 2006

Des Moines is gone from competitive?

It's been a while and I hadn't realized that.

toadee
Aug 16, 2003

North American Turtle Boy Love Association

Blindeye posted:

Des Moines is gone from competitive?

It's been a while and I hadn't realized that.

There's a few teams who brought/bring one, it can still do work, but it's nowhere like it used to be. The big problem is that it gets dumpstered by Kremlin and Ohio. It can't hold any spot that they can shoot at all because of overmatch. Also because you can now bring a Petro and a Moskva and a Smaland, you can radar lock a cap without it.

Preechr
May 19, 2009

Proud member of the Pony-Brony Alliance for Obama as President
If they reverted the changes to the DM legendary mod, I would bring it regardless because oh boy!

James Garfield
May 5, 2012
Am I a manipulative abuser in real life, or do I just roleplay one on the Internet for fun? You decide!

NTRabbit posted:

Right, Petro having awful HE is a big weakness in randoms. It's also a weakness in competitive, but it's not taken for damage there.

The AP has no overmatch so it only matters against poorly angled ships. Moskva has enough penetration to citadel broadsiding cruisers with much better accuracy and more dpm, so Petro only wins against broadside yamatos 12 km away.

Yes you can have good games, but other ships also have good games when everyone broadsides them and with useful HE you're much less dependent on broadsides. In ranked especially, you want to get early kills to win and you want dpm to get the early kills.

NTRabbit posted:

Petro is terrible at killing DDs with its radar. The radar lasts for two shots, if your turrets are pre aimed in the right direction and you load HE you get like 4k damage. It works in competitive because you can have multiple radar ships cover the same area, but in randoms the fact that a Petro is hard limited to removing ~25% of a destroyer's hp in one radar is a big weakness.

Anyway, Stalingrad radar also lasts for two shots and it's two shots with better HE (and it overmatches destroyer armor so using radar with AP loaded isn't a complete waste). Petro is taken over Stalingrad because it's harder to kill.

also lol at "extreme accuracy"

Penitent
Jul 8, 2005

The Lemonade Man Can
I miss the days of Battlecruiser Hindenburg when I could push into most BB's :black101:

She doesn't feel like the same marauding beast when I am forced to HE spam in the back with Henris out of fear of the overmatch slap from all of these new BB's.

NTRabbit
Aug 15, 2012

bitches

The strongest non-cv ship in the game, whose only weakness is accidentally letting a DD get into Yolo torp range or having to 1v1 a nose in Des Moines, is actually weak because its excellent guns with the 360 degree rear turret have low paper HE dpm and furthermore :goonsay:

Velius
Feb 27, 2001

NTRabbit posted:

The strongest non-cv ship in the game, whose only weakness is accidentally letting a DD get into Yolo torp range or having to 1v1 a nose in Des Moines, is actually weak because its excellent guns with the 360 degree rear turret have low paper HE dpm and furthermore :goonsay:

Please, show us all your amazing Petro stats in ranked or clan wars over multiple games, because I’m pretty sure Toadee and I have significantly more experience in both modes. Last night I played Petro in four hurricane level games and I maxed out at like 80k damage, and got a couple of citadels. Damage wise I’d have done significantly more in Stalingrad or Moskva, but the point (once again) is it’s hard to kill. I’d much rather have played any other ship, and it’s not as if anyone loves it, but while Petro has ridiculous AP pen it isn’t reliably useable at range enough to rely on.

kaesarsosei
Nov 7, 2012
If there was a single ship I could wish away from this game its Petro. By far the most boring ship to play as or against at T10. Undeniably effective, but in an incredibly boring way.

NTRabbit
Aug 15, 2012

bitches

kaesarsosei posted:

If there was a single ship I could wish away from this game its Petro. By far the most boring ship to play as or against at T10. Undeniably effective, but in an incredibly boring way.

I never said it was interesting! It's just the tankiest ship in the game combined with one of the most practically offensively powerful ships against all target types in the game, thanks to the super guns, in one hull.

NTRabbit fucked around with this message at 15:02 on Jan 10, 2022

toadee
Aug 16, 2003

North American Turtle Boy Love Association

NTRabbit posted:

I never said it was interesting! It's just the tankiest ship in the game combined with one of the most practically offensively powerful ships against all target types in the game, thanks to the super guns, in one hull.

Bro I've been playing Petro for a Hurricane clan for most of this season. The guns are dogshit vs anything angled. It's there as a thing you have to angle to (so you can't come around an island broadside to it), and because it can sit there and do that while also being impossible to kill. Very occasionally you get lucky and do like 6k to a DD, but you also often just bracket poo poo. They have good velocity but pretty bad vertical dispersion. In a competitive setting, you do not get broadsides to shoot at until a number of other things happen and you've won the game anyway.

toadee fucked around with this message at 15:14 on Jan 10, 2022

Blindeye
Sep 22, 2006

I can also say that as a DD player, Petros never ever discourage me for the capping unless the cap is wide open and there are multiple ships that can fire. The radar cruisers that discourage me far more are Moskva, DM, Wooster, and Radar Minotaur, the latter two I like to bait since drawing them into the cap leads to them getting nuked (save for my team with three battleships was unable to do any damage to a Minotaur at close range while it was spotted for over a minute and a half).

Toxic Fart Syndrome
Jul 2, 2006

*hits A-THREAD-5*

Only 3.6 Roentgoons per hour ... not great, not terrible.

...the meter only goes to 3.6...

Pork Pro

Preechr posted:

If they reverted the changes to the DM legendary mod, I would bring it regardless because oh boy!

What did they change? I still have mine???

kaesarsosei posted:

Its me, the DM shooting at the nose-in Petro for the entire match... :blastu:

Shaman Tank Spec
Dec 26, 2003

*blep*

Double CV, double CV, double sub. CV + double sub. This matchmaker can eat my entire rear end. loving christ.

I don't agree with Flamu on too many things but he is 100% on the money that the last thing this loving game needed was a whole new class of ships that surface ships have next to no interaction (in the enemy's direction) with.

Shaman Tank Spec fucked around with this message at 18:19 on Jan 10, 2022

Toxic Fart Syndrome
Jul 2, 2006

*hits A-THREAD-5*

Pork Pro
I've been getting weird, fun ones!

All cruisers with either 1 BB or 1 DD. All BBs but I'm the only cruiser. No DDs but 4 BBs and 3 CAs.

CitizenKain
May 27, 2001

That was Gary Cooper, asshole.

Nap Ghost

Shaman Tank Spec posted:

Double CV, double CV, double sub. CV + double sub. This matchmaker can eat my entire rear end. loving christ.

I don't agree with Flamu on too many things but he is 100% on the money that the last thing this loving game needed was a whole new class of ships that surface ships have next to no interaction (in the enemy's direction) with.

I think the most obnoxious part about subs is that I'd say a good 90% of them do nothing in match. Seems like most just disappear down a flank and are never seen again, some die stupidly early from being spotted and every ship in range airstrikes them. Or they sit somewhere and ineffectually fire torps at ships.
The actual good players in them are nightmarish to deal with.

Shaman Tank Spec
Dec 26, 2003

*blep*

Pretty much, and because the 80% are dragging their averages down and TURNS OUT THEY'RE NOT FUN TO PLAY WEIRDLY, WG keep buffing them which means the 20% that know what they're doing can just do filthy loving poo poo in them. I watched some Mr_Gibbins the other day and he was just absolutely dumpstering ships with his subs.

Like seriously, what is WG's intended counterplay for a battleship? A heavy cruiser? The first you know they're nearby is when you get sonar pinged.

suck my woke dick
Oct 10, 2012

:siren:I CANNOT EJACULATE WITHOUT SEEING NATIVE AMERICANS BRUTALISED!:siren:

Put this cum-loving slave on ignore immediately!

Shaman Tank Spec posted:

Pretty much, and because the 80% are dragging their averages down and TURNS OUT THEY'RE NOT FUN TO PLAY WEIRDLY, WG keep buffing them which means the 20% that know what they're doing can just do filthy loving poo poo in them. I watched some Mr_Gibbins the other day and he was just absolutely dumpstering ships with his subs.

Like seriously, what is WG's intended counterplay for a battleship? A heavy cruiser? The first you know they're nearby is when you get sonar pinged.

If there's only a 15% chance of you getting dumpstered because only 15.1% of subs are good that's well and good. We all know nothing beyond the average matters.

Shaman Tank Spec
Dec 26, 2003

*blep*

suck my woke dick posted:

If there's only a 15% chance of you getting dumpstered because only 15.1% of subs are good that's well and good. We all know nothing beyond the average matters.

I think this is unironically how WG think.

Shaman Tank Spec
Dec 26, 2003

*blep*

Hey guys weigh in.

Had a game last night in my Derfflinger, two T6 CVs on both teams. It was a close game and came down to a 3-on-3, all the CVs (of course) and an Omaha on their side, my Derfflinger down to 253 HP and the CVs on ours.

We were ahead like 800 - 600 with ~three minutes to go. A two dude platoon starts telling me to hide, but when I don't, they start calling me all kinds of fun names and eventually telling the team to report me for "losing the game".

My logic, which I also explained to them, was that they're loving CVs. I can't hide from them. I have the air detection range of a small moon and horrible AA, so I am dead regardless the second they come for me, so I'd rather go for one of them that had been last spotted somewhat close to my position, and sure enough I took the CV down to fartable before the other CV inevitably bombed me to death at which point the "report idiot rear end in a top hat" poo poo started again.

After the game I topped the charts for both damage done and XP, and surprisingly the chat warriors (42% and 44% winrate) didn't.

Weigh in: would you have tried to hide? It was futile, right? Like how the gently caress is a T5 BB going to hide from two CVs if they want to find him? I agree in theory that there's such a thing as trying to win too hard, and I probably wouldn't have rushed the enemy if it was just surface ships or something, but with CVs? I'm dead either way, might as well get some damage in before I go down.

Replay: https://replayswows.com/replay/150422

Shaman Tank Spec fucked around with this message at 15:54 on Jan 11, 2022

Velius
Feb 27, 2001
I mean, you won the round largely because you capped a point that the cvs never would have gotten to, and with 250 hp were dead no matter what. My replays don't work right, and it isn't worth the effort to troubleshoot here, but you did fine and I don't know why you'd care about stupid players in chat.

Shaman Tank Spec
Dec 26, 2003

*blep*

I don't, but in case this comes up again in the future I wanted to kind of reality check my thinking.

Gwaihir
Dec 8, 2009
Hair Elf
Hiding at the end of the round to let points tick out is certainly important sometimes- It's why getting the timer mod that shows you how long it will be until you win based on the current rate of point gain is really important.

Of course in a game with CVs, it is generally pointless because there's no way to hide from them.

Burt
Sep 23, 2007

Poke.

Shaman Tank Spec posted:

I don't, but in case this comes up again in the future I wanted to kind of reality check my thinking.

Get the mod that removes chat, problem solved.

Saul Kain
Dec 5, 2018

Lately it occurs to me,

what a long, strange trip it's been.

No need even for a mod. Just click the button that turns it off beside your chat input box.

Shaman Tank Spec
Dec 26, 2003

*blep*

OK so how do I actually play the Friedrich der Große?

Velius
Feb 27, 2001

Shaman Tank Spec posted:

The only winning move is not to play (The Grobe). Sorry!

If you must, put on the reload mod for main guns, use the 406, don’t spec for secondaries, use the slot three main gun accuracy mod, and try and figure out how to fire your guns without showing an enormous broadside. I’d almost say consider the rudder shift mod but I’m sure the turning circle sucks too.

Gwaihir
Dec 8, 2009
Hair Elf

Shaman Tank Spec posted:

Click tech tree at the top of the screen, then click literally any other nation

Strabo4
Jun 1, 2007

Oh god, I'm 'sperging all
over this thread too!

If you treat it like a big Bismarck and stay at arm's length before pushing a flank after it's been softened up it tends to work out pretty well. You do end up needing a really high skill captain to be able to do this most effectively, though.

Toxic Fart Syndrome
Jul 2, 2006

*hits A-THREAD-5*

Pork Pro
You don't play nazi ships you shoot them. :colbert:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lakedaimon
Jan 11, 2007

FdG is a terrible ship. Yes it has decent secondaries. Really the best thing about it is that it has a turtleback so its almost impossible to citadel with horizontal shots. But the main battery accuracy is soul crushingly painful at anything past like 10km. So you are supposed to brawl, but trying to get close early in the match just means you will be the first to die a horrible burny death. I was hanging back and trying to set up crossfires by moving away from friendly BBs. Sure you probably won't hit, but if you do its nice to get a pen or citadel.

Right now im experiencing the same kind of despair with the Italian BBs. Horrible accuracy with an even longer reload! And you also get to play the exciting game of "Will this salvo of SAP do 12k damage, or 0?" regardless of range or angle or how well I aimed.