Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

Leon Trotsky 2012 posted:

It is pretty wild how centralized school curriculums, laws designed to make work for lawyers at the expense of taxpayers, the state government overruling local governments, and government coddling the feelings of everyone went from the things conservatives ran against in the 80's and 90's to official doctrine in the 2020's.

https://twitter.com/dsamuelsohn/status/1481001401744506882
The GOP has figured out that their voters are fine with authoritarianism if it’s against the libs

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Willa Rogers
Mar 11, 2005

Are schools still using Race to the Top curricula or did that go out with the Obama years?

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

*Israeli Government-affiliated poster

Willa Rogers posted:

Are schools still using Race to the Top curricula or did that go out with the Obama years?

Race to the top was a limited and optional grant program. It hasn't been funded since 2013.

Willa Rogers
Mar 11, 2005

Leon Trotsky 2012 posted:

Race to the top was a limited and optional grant program. It hasn't been funded since 2013.

So that aren't doing that convoluted-math thing anymore, nor testing that way? Or is that another curriculum program?

Oh, I was thinking of Common Core.

eta: Which is still in effect:

quote:

Since 2010, forty-one (41) of the fifty U.S. states and the District of Columbia have been members of the Common Core State Standards Initiative, while Alabama, Oklahoma, Texas, Virginia, Alaska, Nebraska, Indiana and South Carolina did not adopt the initiative at a state level.[11] Minnesota adopted the English Language Arts standards but not the Mathematics standards.[12] Although starting as a fast trend, the curriculum lost momentum and found at least 12 states introducing legislation to prohibit implementation.[13] Four states that initially adopted Common Core have since decided to repeal or replace it: Indiana, Arizona, Oklahoma, and South Carolina.[14][failed verification]

Standards were released for mathematics and English language arts on June 2, 2010, with a majority of states adopting the standards in the subsequent months. States were given an incentive to adopt the Common Core Standards through the possibility of competitive federal Race to the Top grants.

etaa: That wiki talks about a future 2015 so who knows.

Willa Rogers fucked around with this message at 22:19 on Jan 11, 2022

HonorableTB
Dec 22, 2006
I can't think of what would ever make me vote for Kamala Harris outside of physically holding a gun to my head or something. I'd vote for Hillary again before voting for the KHive's god-empress

Abner Assington
Mar 13, 2005

For I am a sinner in the hands of an angry god. Bloody Mary, full of vodka, blessed are you among cocktails. Pray for me now, at the hour of my death, which I hope is soon.

Amen.
A gun to my head wouldn't be enough to convince me to vote for Kamala.

DeadlyMuffin
Jul 3, 2007

Willa Rogers posted:

So that aren't doing that convoluted-math thing anymore, nor testing that way? Or is that another curriculum program?

Oh, I was thinking of Common Core.

eta: Which is still in effect:

etaa: That wiki talks about a future 2015 so who knows.

Is there actually an issue with how common core teaches math, or is it just parents reacting to kids being taught differently than they were?

I remember see lots of "outrageous" examples a few years ago, but thinking that the overall approach wasn't terrible.

FlamingLiberal posted:

The GOP has figured out that their voters are fine with authoritarianism if it’s against the libs

Same as it's always been. Authoritarianism under the guise of safety, or "for the children". I remember being a naive kid and being absolutely mind boggled how easily and quickly the patriot act passed.

DeadlyMuffin fucked around with this message at 22:40 on Jan 11, 2022

Barrel Cactaur
Oct 6, 2021

The US is plagued by a toxic gun culture as well as overabundance of guns. Its deeply associated with right wing militancy, violent expression of paranoia and anxiety, and extreme antisocial sentiments. The availability also makes it a convenient tool for suicides, as its fast, reliable, and easy.

Guns worsen other social ills but are rarely the root cause. Often, as a culture wars issue, suppression of gun ownership is used as a means of band-aiding because of an unwillingness or inability to solve the root problems. For example, reforming drug laws would be the 1# way to combat gangs, by cutting off their primary sources of revenue. Better public health, mental health especially, and life opportunity would help reduce depression, petty crime, and general social violence.

The only outlier is the militarization of the right wing(and the at this point small militarized left). They understand that they stand to loose in their long term plan of violent overthrow if firearms rights are restricted, as criminalization is the only way to suppress such agitation in the long term. They support the idea of a might makes right world, at least in a short term where its their might and their right. So they play a part in the small arms and right wing media feedback loop, where every event is used to make guns the solution.

The current state of gun cult in the USA is gibbering lunacy.

So you see places where the true root causes of social ills are fare worse end up with far worse violence. The anomaly is that the US has really bad numbers for how good our numbers look in theory, only part of which is the US being two rich countries sandwiching a few well off to poor countries in reality.

Barrel Cactaur fucked around with this message at 22:40 on Jan 11, 2022

How are u
May 19, 2005

by Azathoth

HonorableTB posted:

I can't think of what would ever make me vote for Kamala Harris outside of physically holding a gun to my head or something. I'd vote for Hillary again before voting for the KHive's god-empress

I don't like her one bit, but if she ends up the nominee somehow I'll vote for her and probably end up campaigning to elect her in some fashion. Republicans have become fascists and if they take the presidency and legislature again we are losing our democracy.

:shrug:

It sucks, but you play the cards you are dealt. Hopefully Joe is in good condition in 2024.

Mellow Seas
Oct 9, 2012
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

How are u posted:

I don't like her one bit, but if she ends up the nominee somehow I'll vote for her and probably end up campaigning to elect her in some fashion. Republicans have become fascists and if they take the presidency and legislature again we are losing our democracy.

:shrug:

It sucks, but you play the cards you are dealt. Hopefully Joe is in good condition in 2024.

Yeah, would I ever be disappointed if Harris ended up as the nominee, but I would vote for her over Ron DeSantis. Not in a "crawl over broken glass" kind of way but at the very least I gotta throw a vote to my boy Chris Murphy in '24, even disregarding local elections, so no harm in making a little checkmark while I'm in the drat booth anyway.

Then again I don't consider voting for someone to be an endorsement of them personally or to reflect on myself or my values in a significant way, it's just a binary statement of preference; if people feel differently about voting then I totally understand not wanting to vote for Harris, because she really sucks.

the_steve
Nov 9, 2005

We're always hiring!

https://twitter.com/therecount/status/1480956487199596548?t=YD3utSkFgadRdBWjuf7s6A&s=19

Lol, oh no, Mitch might keep doing that thing he already does when Manchin doesn't beat him to it.

Willa Rogers
Mar 11, 2005

DeadlyMuffin posted:

Is there actually an issue with how common core teaches math, or is it just parents reacting to kids being taught differently than they were?

I don't know; all my teacher friends have retired. I just thought of it as an example of establishing universal curricula in which rank-n-file teachers had little say.

My friends did complain that CC took away what they considered to be their own curriculum expertise & experience.

quote:

Same as it's always been. Authoritarianism under the guise of safety, or "for the children". I remember being a naive kid and being absolutely mind boggled how easily and quickly the patriot act passed.

99-1 in the U.S. Senate, renewed in 2015 by a 67-32 Senate vote.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

The blue glow is a feature, not a bug

Pillbug

the_steve posted:

https://twitter.com/therecount/status/1480956487199596548?t=YD3utSkFgadRdBWjuf7s6A&s=19

Lol, oh no, Mitch might keep doing that thing he already does when Manchin doesn't beat him to it.

Oh No, Please Mister Mitch. Don't do what you always do.

christmas boots
Oct 15, 2012

To these sing-alongs 🎤of siren 🧜🏻‍♀️songs
To oohs😮 to ahhs😱 to 👏big👏applause👏
With all of my 😡anger I scream🤬 and shout📢
🇺🇸America🦅, I love you 🥰but you're freaking 💦me 😳out
Biscuit Hider

DeadlyMuffin posted:

I remember see lots of "outrageous" examples a few years ago, but thinking that the overall approach wasn't terrible.

From the little I've seen of Common Core it seems like there's a bigger emphasis on thinking about what numbers represent. So like looking at 127 not just as 127 ones but also 10 tens and 27 ones. Or like, if a problem asks you to multiply 4x27 instead of doing it the traditional way you can also look at it like 4x25 + 4x2

TBH I think a lot of people do math this way in their head anyway, but it's just different that how we were taught so it *feels* wrong.

Srice
Sep 11, 2011

DeadlyMuffin posted:

I've spoken about it with some pals who are teachers and the gist of their experiences boil down to: There are certainly criticisms to be had but basically all of the criticisms they hear directly are from parents who are mad that it's not the same way they learned it in school.

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal

the_steve posted:

I'm not really sure what he means by this. Demand a repeal of those laws in exchange for unblocking the Senate? Block the Senate even harder so the case for unilateral filibuster repeal gets stronger?

Herstory Begins Now
Aug 5, 2003
SOME REALLY TEDIOUS DUMB SHIT THAT SUCKS ASS TO READ ->>

Abner Assington posted:

i don't really pray, but if i was going to pray, it would be that kamala is not on the ticket in 2024

the_steve
Nov 9, 2005

We're always hiring!

Herstory Begins Now posted:

i don't really pray, but if i was going to pray, it would be that kamala is not on the ticket in 2024

Considering the lengths they went to in order to backdoor her in in the first place, there is zero chance she isn't on the ticket, barring something so monumentally damning that there isn't a rug big enough to sweep it under, and if there's one thing I've learned about politics, it's that they own some big fuckin' rugs.

Lib and let die
Aug 26, 2004

In much the same vein, 10 years ago I'd never thought I'd be saying "thank god my wife works for the Catholics" but last page's chatter on Desantis' new stunt has me saying it. Archdiocese of Miami has a strict 2-shot minimum and "wear masks, all ye who enter here" policy on all school grounds, even!

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

Don't you tell me my business again.
Oh good. Hillary Clinton is here to lecture us all on how not to lose elections.

Mooseontheloose
May 13, 2003

the_steve posted:

hopefully this means he is scare this will actually work?

TulliusCicero
Jul 29, 2017

Willa Rogers posted:

How voters' priorities have changed over the past year, according to the AP/NORC poll:

(The economy stayed at the same percentage.)

eta: That poll was taken before the omicron surge really hit, though.

:psypop:

...Who the gently caress cares about Immigration when no one wants to come to this hellscape? "THESE ARE MY PLAGUE INFESTED LANDS! America Freedumb!"

Jesus loving christ this country not stops loving dissapointing me with how racist its populous truly is

More concerned about the possibility of brown people getting in than their own children getting and spreading a plague. Incredible really

Willa Rogers
Mar 11, 2005

Maybe some of the respondents are concerned about the kiddy kamps & the flood-remediation franchisees running them. :shobon:

eta: Biden scoring poorly on immigration is as alien (n.p.i.) to me as Biden scoring well by voters on his handling of covid, because if gop voters wanted more sadistic & less transparent camps they got their dream guy.

But that's like saying democratic voters should be as interested in performative grief over the kamp kids now as they were when Trump was president.

vvv Doesn't appear that 1/6 is the devastating event for voters that it is for politicians.

Willa Rogers fucked around with this message at 00:27 on Jan 12, 2022

Koos Group
Mar 6, 2013

Willa Rogers posted:

How voters' priorities have changed over the past year, according to the AP/NORC poll:

(The economy stayed at the same percentage.)

eta: That poll was taken before the omicron surge really hit, though.

I found it amusing that "politics" is an issue, but apparently the question was open-ended and they put these things in that category.

Mooseontheloose
May 13, 2003

TulliusCicero posted:

...Who the gently caress cares about Immigration when no one wants to come to this hellscape? "THESE ARE MY PLAGUE INFESTED LANDS! America Freedumb!"

Jesus loving christ this country not stops loving dissapointing me with how racist its populous truly is

More concerned about the possibility of brown people getting in than their own children getting and spreading a plague. Incredible really

Because like clockwork every summer the media ramps up reports of the latest South American caravan coming to the United States and then drops the subject the day after the election is over.

BigBallChunkyTime
Nov 25, 2011

Kyle Schwarber: World Series hero, Beefy Lad, better than you.

Illegal Hen

Abner Assington posted:

I'd vote for her against literally any Republican, and I hope everyone here would too.

PainterofCrap
Oct 17, 2002

hey bebe

Herstory Begins Now
Aug 5, 2003

TulliusCicero posted:

i mean 'immigration' can mean an awful lot . I think it's pretty reasonably that people have unfucking are horrific immigration system as a priority. unfortunately that question doesn't seem to differentiate the 'build the wall' types from the 'maybe migrants shouldn't die of dehydration or get tossed in heladors' people

BigBallChunkyTime posted:

I'd vote for her against literally any Republican, and I hope everyone here would too.

i have this weird hope of someday being excited to vote for someone, but then again we're talking about politicians so it's probably just me being wildly naive

Herstory Begins Now fucked around with this message at 00:31 on Jan 12, 2022

Willa Rogers
Mar 11, 2005

It's been BREAKING since last September that Biden wanted a filibuster carve-out for the voting-rights act.

This has been one helluva "Groundhog Day" administration so far (or it's maybe just the press coverage), from BREAKING: Manchin argues against BBB to Biden & the filibuster.

And that's leaving aside Covid-21 & Covid-22 and the ensuing reactions/restrictions.

cat botherer
Jan 6, 2022

I am interested in most phases of data processing.

That schtick is pretty old to most people now. At some point, it becomes unjust to participate in an unjust system that only has an illusion of choice. As of now, I absolutely do not view voting as immoral, even though I, personally, will never vote in another American election. I don't look down on people who make a different choice for themselves, but Dems need to gently caress right off with the guilt tripping. Negging potential voters won't help them.

Herstory Begins Now
Aug 5, 2003
you say that but the dems just turned out more voters than they ever have before

Rochallor
Apr 23, 2010

ふっっっっっっっっっっっっck

cat botherer posted:

That schtick is pretty old to most people now. At some point, it becomes unjust to participate in an unjust system that only has an illusion of choice. As of now, I absolutely do not view voting as immoral, even though I, personally, will never vote in another American election. I don't look down on people who make a different choice for themselves, but Dems need to gently caress right off with the guilt tripping. Negging potential voters won't help them.

And in so many parts of the country, it literally does not matter. Not even in the sense that one vote is a drop in the bucket, in the sense that in a million parallel universes that single vote will never make a difference. My voting district is deep blue and my state is blood red, the races are predetermined. The only person I voted for in 2020 was a friend of mine who was on the ballot because he asked me to. So you have people standing in line for five hours to cast a ballot for people that they disagree with on almost every single issue. No wonder more people don't vote.

Killer robot
Sep 6, 2010

I was having the most wonderful dream. I think you were in it!
Pillbug

TulliusCicero posted:

It's about the reason you'd think.

How are u
May 19, 2005

by Azathoth

cat botherer posted:

Yeah citation really needed when you say "most people". As Herstory noted, Biden received more votes than any other Democratic Presidential candidate in history. Democratic turnout was enormous in 2020.

Also, I really disagree that there's 'guilt tripping' going on. Negging voters? Are you referring to the often mocked call to vote in "the most important election in our lives" or something like that? I suspect that where you see guilt tripping I will just see laying out the facts of the matter of where we are. The 2024 election will be the most important of our lives, because the stakes have not gotten any smaller. It'll be democracy itself on the line, it could very well be the last election we ever get to vote in at all if we lose. That the facts of the matter are tired or trite to you doesn't make them less true.

cat botherer
Jan 6, 2022

I am interested in most phases of data processing.

you say that but the dems just turned out more voters than they ever have before
Almost as if the population has increased.

How are u posted:

Yeah citation really needed when you say "most people". As Herstory noted, Biden received more votes than any other Democratic Presidential candidate in history. Democratic turnout was enormous in 2020.

Also, I really disagree that there's 'guilt tripping' going on. Negging voters? Are you referring to the often mocked call to vote in "the most important election in our lives" or something like that? I suspect that where you see guilt tripping I will just see laying out the facts of the matter of where we are. The 2024 election will be the most important of our lives, because the stakes have not gotten any smaller. It'll be democracy itself on the line, it could very well be the last election we ever get to vote in at all if we lose. That the facts of the matter are tired or trite to you doesn't make them less true.
There was absolutely a ton of guilt tripping and yelling at people in 2020, I'm not sure where you where. Not even online shite, I had a cousin scream and swear at me once when I said I wasn't voting last election.

Jarmak
Jan 24, 2005

cat botherer posted:

Almost as if the population has increased.

There was absolutely a ton of guilt tripping and yelling at people in 2020, I'm not sure where you where. Not even online shite, I had a cousin scream and swear at me once when I said I wasn't voting last election.

It was record turnout by percentage not just raw numbers.

https://www.pewresearch.org/fact-ta...s-for-president

Jarmak fucked around with this message at 01:08 on Jan 12, 2022

VitalSigns
Sep 3, 2011

I would be very interested to hear a definition of fascism that includes every Republican but excludes Kamala "paroling non-violent offenders is bad because it would cut into our forced prison labor" Harris

Bel Shazar
Sep 14, 2012

How are u posted:

A functioning egalitarian democratic state would need to exist to be on the line in 202x. One doesn't, ergo democracy itself cannot be on the line.

Bel Shazar fucked around with this message at 01:24 on Jan 12, 2022

Abner Assington
Mar 13, 2005

For I am a sinner in the hands of an angry god. Bloody Mary, full of vodka, blessed are you among cocktails. Pray for me now, at the hour of my death, which I hope is soon.

Amen.

To be fair, I live in Kentucky, so my vote on a national ticket means approximately gently caress-all.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Koos Group
Mar 6, 2013

How are u posted:

That it is likely we won't vote in another election if the Democrats lose can't be called a fact. A fact, by its dictionary definition, is something known or proven. A proposition about the future is very difficult to prove, and in this case you haven't made an attempt to do so.