Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

LanceHunter posted:

I mean, given Blomkamp's work over the years, are we really sure his Aliens sequels wouldn't be poo poo?

It would be poo poo like every film he made bar one.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Randarkman
Jul 18, 2011

Gutcruncher posted:

https://youtu.be/uC9HezztcTU

Why do I still loving remember this 22 years later

I like the detail of him having black gloves.

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy

priznat posted:

Yeah I haven't seen it in decades and I imagine it has aged ~extremely~ poorly. There were a couple of funny bits like you say!

I watched it again just a few years ago, I thought it was fine with the exception of maybe one-two scenes. Unless you hate boobs of course.

DLC Inc
Jun 1, 2011

Gripweed posted:

District 9, Elysium, and Chappie were all good. So I'm not sure why you'd be worried about his Aliens movie.

Elysium was middling at best; Chappie was definitely not good.

It's sad because his experimental "demo" films i.e. Zygote, Firebase have far more interesting premises than his previous few movies, but he couldn't secure any funding for those Oats short films. Demonic pretty much cooked him.

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

Chappie was loving atrocious

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018
Women are wonderful animals, they should be making music and writing novels about having a complex relationship with your mother.
Was it just because you couldn't understand the accents? I couldn't either but I still liked the movie.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
Blomkamp did make one of the few good Live Action Halo series. Landfall is a neat short film.

It was only ten minutes long so it didn't have much time to turn to poo poo like Forward Unto Dawn or Nightfall.

Space Kablooey
May 6, 2009

Tip posted:

he was great at murder, just not that great at covering up a murder

Tip posted:

I mean, those people were fully dead, and he really made sure of it

yeah you know what that's absolutely true

Space Kablooey
May 6, 2009

Gripweed posted:

Was it just because you couldn't understand the accents? I couldn't either but I still liked the movie.

D9 had the same accents and it was much better

RealityWarCriminal
Aug 10, 2016

:o:
only problem i has with Chappie was i wasn't sure which one was Chappie

Mozi
Apr 4, 2004

Forms change so fast
Time is moving past
Memory is smoke
Gonna get wider when I die
Nap Ghost
chappie was the name of his childhood sled

Space Kablooey
May 6, 2009

chappie is the one with a square face

Galewolf
Jan 9, 2007

The human gallbladder is indeed a puzzle!
Chappie more like Crappie

reignofevil
Nov 7, 2008
Imagine if instead of making Elysium they had just made The Trailer for Elysium and then nobody would have ever had to watch it.

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

Galewolf posted:

Chappie more like Crappie

TIP
Mar 21, 2006

Your move, creep.

[whispering to date while watching Chappie when Chappie first appears on the screen] This is crappy.

poisonpill
Nov 8, 2009

The only way to get huge fast is to insult a passing witch and hope she curses you with Beast-strength.

[whispering to date while watching Chappie whenever Chappie doesn't appear on the screen] Where's Chappie?

Hackers film 1995
Nov 4, 2009

Hack the planet!

district 9 was fine. but chappie, well that made me unhappy

poisonpill
Nov 8, 2009

The only way to get huge fast is to insult a passing witch and hope she curses you with Beast-strength.

Two things I appreciated in Elysium:
First, how well it showed the low level dudes being exploited. Almost as if the director understood systems of oppression. (Where is he from, again???)
Second, how brutal the kills were. It was solid gold violence.

Kingo Ligma
Aug 24, 2019

Ask me about calling people racist because I failed geography.

Gripweed posted:

Non Americans don't have this problem.

Gutcruncher
Apr 16, 2005

Go home and be a family man!
This is true. Us Americans are the only ones without comical accents

Kingo Ligma
Aug 24, 2019

Ask me about calling people racist because I failed geography.

Gutcruncher posted:

This is true. Us Americans are the only ones without comical accents

Please watch the documentary "Fargo" immediately

Randarkman
Jul 18, 2011

Kingo Ligma posted:

Surviving Edged Weapons is also good for this.

RealityWarCriminal
Aug 10, 2016

:o:
https://mobile.twitter.com/strangeharbors/status/1480993026826772481

The Anime Liker
Aug 8, 2009

by VideoGames

Kingo Ligma posted:

Those are Dutch people on the Canadian border.

They're as American as borscht spilled over the backseat of a Yugo as the driver tried to outrun the secret police for not having any twitter bots on his phone.

Randarkman
Jul 18, 2011

Or he'll do this
https://i.imgur.com/59oShap.mp4

Stink Billyums
Jul 7, 2006

MAGNUM
you don't have to go all the way to north dakota for goofy accents, nyc and boston are right there

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

Let's get drunk and kiss each other all night.

poisonpill posted:

Two things I appreciated in Elysium:
First, how well it showed the low level dudes being exploited. Almost as if the director understood systems of oppression. (Where is he from, again???)
Second, how brutal the kills were. It was solid gold violence.

The south african guy going bananas basically nonstop the whole film was the best thing about that movie.

The Anime Liker
Aug 8, 2009

by VideoGames

Stink Billyums posted:

you don't have to go all the way to north dakota for goofy accents, nyc and boston are right there

The dreaded combination NY/Boston accent:

"Ayy, I'm racist heeh, ma!"

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

At my old company my boss’ boss had a super thick ny accent which is rare to hear in west coast canada and it was fascinating to listen to.

PNW accent where I’m from is apparently the most “neutral” (boring) and why a lot of news anchors come outta seattle or something.

Anything on accents or whatever in a youtube video and I’m watchin that poo poo!!

The Anime Liker
Aug 8, 2009

by VideoGames
The "neutral" accents are PNW and Nebraska.

The absolute expert mode for any voice actor is the affluent white New Orleans voice. It's like an auto-tuned Chicago accent. And the olde timey Mid-Atlantic accent without cartooning it up like you're doing an impression of a radio spokesman.

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

A GLISTENING HODOR posted:

The "neutral" accents are PNW and Nebraska.

The absolute expert mode for any voice actor is the affluent white New Orleans voice. It's like an auto-tuned Chicago accent. And the olde timey Mid-Atlantic accent without cartooning it up like you're doing an impression of a radio spokesman.

Is that NO accent like what Kevin Spacey did in House of Cards? He was supposed to be from SC but whenever I heard it my mind just thought Louisiana. I think Spacey really loves doing ridiculous southern accents.

mallratcal
Sep 10, 2003

This would get me to tune in.

The Anime Liker
Aug 8, 2009

by VideoGames

priznat posted:

Is that NO accent like what Kevin Spacey did in House of Cards? He was supposed to be from SC but whenever I heard it my mind just thought Louisiana. I think Spacey really loves doing ridiculous southern accents.

The Foghorn Leghorn that Spacey does is closer to Savannah / South Carolina.

It's very fake and very bad, but those are close to it.

John Goodman in HBO's Treme is close to what I'm talking about. It's neither southern nor Midwestern. It's just it's own very specific thing.

ProperCauldron
Oct 11, 2004

nah chill

priznat posted:

At my old company my boss’ boss had a super thick ny accent which is rare to hear in west coast canada and it was fascinating to listen to.

PNW accent where I’m from is apparently the most “neutral” (boring) and why a lot of news anchors come outta seattle or something.

Anything on accents or whatever in a youtube video and I’m watchin that poo poo!!

watch If These Knishes Could Talk

Haptical Sales Slut
Mar 15, 2010

Age 18 to 49
Speaking of accents, cumberpatch in The power of the dog lol.

That movie was trying to be better than the script could muster. Overall a++ for depressing subject matter.

Waltzing Along
Jun 14, 2008

There's only one
Human race
Many faces
Everybody belongs here
Apparently, this is my postal code now: WC2N 5DU.

Because Stephen Toast has moved to California I shouldn't have to jump through hoops to see him gently caress other mens wives.

kalel
Jun 19, 2012

Sydney Bottocks posted:

I also lived in FL for a few years before moving back up north, and I agree. You don't need to watch a show like that when you can see the exact same type of people at the gas station or wherever. Winter sucks up here to be sure, but I'll take a bunch of snow and cold over living in FL any day.

How's Virginia? Okay middle ground?

Sydney Bottocks
Oct 15, 2004

kalel posted:

How's Virginia? Okay middle ground?

No idea, only drove through there like once or twice, so I have no firm opinion on it one way or the other.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Comfy Fleece Sweater
Apr 2, 2013

You see, but you do not observe.

Finished "The Premise" by BJ Novak

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JNYWbap8cFI

Good to great episodes, but at least watch Episode 5, "Butt Plug" (Don't even look at the trailer)

Solid 3.5 out of 5 for the series

4.5 out of 5 for the final episode

Comfy Fleece Sweater fucked around with this message at 04:38 on Jan 12, 2022