Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

hatelull
Oct 29, 2004

I never really saw "closer" as a "horny goth fucks" track. For me it's all self-loathing and how much he hates himself.

Re: "The Hand that Feeds" Weren't they slated to play an award thing and he skipped out because they were not allowed to hang a picture of W behind them while it played?

actionjackson posted:

what would you say is the main reason for these messages in his music? Is it reflecting something that he feels internally, or maybe a reaction to things going on in the world (political etc.)? I'm going to assume he's nonreligious and probably has a leftist political viewpoint (?)

As others said, it's all just poo poo going through his head. He wasn't even 30 when he wrote that and it's definitely a product of that angsty early adult hood and the environment and scene where they recorded it. It's gonna get dark.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

jtr
Oct 17, 2004

You've ruined the act, GOB.

hatelull posted:

Re: "The Hand that Feeds" Weren't they slated to play an award thing and he skipped out because they were not allowed to hang a picture of W behind them while it played?

MTV springs to memory.

Edit: yeah, MTV

T-Rez posted:

"Nine Inch Nails will not be performing at the MTV Movie Awards as previously announced. We were set to perform 'The Hand That Feeds' with an unmolested, straightforward image of George W. Bush as the backdrop. Apparently, the image of our president is as offensive to MTV as it is to me. See you on tour this fall when we return to play in America."

jtr fucked around with this message at 23:17 on Jan 11, 2022

polyester concept
Mar 29, 2017

the hand that feeds is more about opposing conformity in general than politics to me, but yeah, there's definitely some anti-right wing political, anti-war imagery used in their live shows

I guess you could even say head like a hole is political

polyester concept fucked around with this message at 23:25 on Jan 11, 2022

Good Soldier Svejk
Jul 5, 2010

I don't think Trent is apolitical - more explicitly he is anti-political. He seems to want people to generally have better lives but Year Zero and HTDA are realizing the world isn't going to change and something is going to destroy us, be it the war or the climate or whatever. I think he's just trying to get along in the meantime.

I figure he's somewhere between libertarian and entirely disenchanted left-leaning.

And definitely anti-religious. Can't blame him for that growing up in small-town Pennsylvania, I know that game.

And yeah, The Downward Spiral itself is a concept album about an alienation and self-destruction and self-loathing born from the same sort of rockstar ennui that birthed The Wall when Roger Waters had an "I'm a monster" meltdown.

Actually that would make for a super interesting comparison for folks doing media analysis...

hatelull
Oct 29, 2004

I want to say there were some interviews around the time of The Fragile where Trent himself referenced that album has his spin on The Wall. In typical pissy boommer fashion, he actually had an encounter with Waters and the takeaway was that of course Roger thought it was hot garbage. I could be totally mis-remembering Mandela Effecting that action though.

Samopsa
Nov 9, 2009

Krijgt geen speciaal kerstdiner!
https://thehill.com/blogs/in-the-know/in-the-know/393508-trent-reznor-rips-trump-youre-seeing-the-fall-of-the-empire-of

quote:

Reznor and his bandmate Atticus Ross have been promoting Nine Inch Nails’ new tour.

Ross said their new music has become a “reflection on the way we are now in the world we live in and the scary things in America.”

Trump’s presidency combined with the digital age of social media has made people “dumber,” Reznor said.

“For the miracle of everyone sharing ideas, I see a hell of a lot more racism,” Reznor said.

“It doesn’t feel like we’ve advanced. I think you’re seeing the fall of the empire of America in real time, before your eyes; the internet has eroded the fabric of decency in our civilization,” he added.

https://www.rollingstone.com/music/music-news/trent-reznor-donald-trump-is-vulgar-grotesque-dope-198779/

quote:

Trent Reznor: Donald Trump Is ‘Vulgar, Grotesque Dope’
“It’s tough, because the president of the United States is a complete loving moron,” Nine Inch Nails singer says

Speaking to the Village Voice on the heels of Nine Inch Nails‘ Add Violence EP, Reznor criticized the new administration, especially Trump’s take on climate change; Reznor, with Atticus Ross, recently scored the documentary Before the Flood, an environmental call-to-action film warning of the irreversible effects of climate change.

https://www.rollingstone.com/politics/politics-news/trent-reznor-calls-donald-trump-candidacy-absurd-114753/

quote:

He [Reznor] offered a reluctant endorsement of Hillary’s campaign. “Since it’s down to two people, there’s no question that 100 percent of my support is going towards her,” Reznor said. “I’ll admit that I was more enthused about Bernie [Sanders] in terms of the sense of upheaval and revolution.”

He hopes that Before the Flood can shift the national conversation around climate change. “Politicians follow what the people want,” Reznor declares. “Once the public is aware of and excited about a certain policy, then politicians fall in line and follow that through. Things like this film help to continue that dialogue and remind people that climate change isn’t going away.”

Good Soldier Svejk
Jul 5, 2010

I hedged on disenchanted leftist but yeah that spells it out

hatelull posted:

I want to say there were some interviews around the time of The Fragile where Trent himself referenced that album has his spin on The Wall. In typical pissy boommer fashion, he actually had an encounter with Waters and the takeaway was that of course Roger thought it was hot garbage. I could be totally mis-remembering Mandela Effecting that action though.
Think I found it
https://www.brain-damage.co.uk/roger-waters-interviews/november-2000-revolver-magazine.html

e:
That's a drat good read - a lot more personal than I thought Trent would have been in interviews at the time, and Waters is as aloof as ever.
It's kinda funny that "The Fragile" and "Amused to Death" are both two of my favorite albums and considered underappreciated gems by their makers and exiled from setlists because they didn't move units

Add "1.Outside" to the mix for that matter. If someone ever asks me what was it like growing up in the 90s I will just tell them to listen to those 3 albums in release order.

Good Soldier Svejk fucked around with this message at 00:43 on Jan 12, 2022

actionjackson
Jan 12, 2003

hatelull posted:

roger waters is kind of a piece of poo poo though, total egomaniac

SUNKOS
Jun 4, 2016

I thought it was a funny glimpse behind the image and music of NIN that during the Closure video (I think?) the backstage footage we see of Trent is him playing with his dog and another clip of him and the band singing along to Frank Zappa while getting ready to go on stage.

Was a striking difference to when Manson made an appearance to talk about taking lots of drugs and getting wasted while some poor girls are sat there telling some roadie guy or whatever they're his groupies.

polyester concept posted:

he is a known edgelord, he rented out the house that sharon tate was murdered in to record the album (which makes the piggy references a little sus) and then took the front door to be used as the entrance to his recording studio in new orleans.

I read an interview where Trent was asked about this and I've no idea if he was being honest or not, but he claimed he had no idea that it was the house where those murders took place until Tate's sister confronted him at the property and basically asked him "What the gently caress are you doing? Are you trying to exploit my dead sister for shock value?!" and he said he felt like poo poo afterwards and really bad about the whole thing. I think he probably knew but didn't put much thought into what he was doing. The edgelord thing is spot on so it wouldn't surprise me.

Good Soldier Svejk posted:

And definitely anti-religious. Can't blame him for that growing up in small-town Pennsylvania, I know that game.

He has five kids now and we don't know all of their names, but we know one's called Balthazar and another is called Lazarus. I was not expecting Trent of all people to give his children those kind of names and I'm not being judgmental but he is a secretive person, maybe he's become religious?

polyester concept
Mar 29, 2017

SUNKOS posted:

I read an interview where Trent was asked about this and I've no idea if he was being honest or not, but he claimed he had no idea that it was the house where those murders took place until Tate's sister confronted him at the property and basically asked him "What the gently caress are you doing? Are you trying to exploit my dead sister for shock value?!" and he said he felt like poo poo afterwards and really bad about the whole thing. I think he probably knew but didn't put much thought into what he was doing. The edgelord thing is spot on so it wouldn't surprise me.

right, I remember this now too. I think the response was that he knew it was the tate house, but didn't think further than the shock value aspect. didn't think how it would affect the real people involved with it. he doesn't seem like an rear end in a top hat so I would assume he was being honest. that reminds me, back in the days of the spiral fan club q&a, somebody wrote in with this really hosed up "question" about disgusting black people (I think he even used the word pigs to describe them), and trent put it online with the response "I am only posting this so everyone can see how loving stupid you are"

polyester concept fucked around with this message at 21:42 on Jan 12, 2022

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

SUNKOS posted:

He has five kids now and we don't know all of their names, but we know one's called Balthazar and another is called Lazarus. I was not expecting Trent of all people to give his children those kind of names and I'm not being judgmental but he is a secretive person, maybe he's become religious?

Mrs. Reznor's ancestors are from the Philippines and the Catholic Church has a pretty large influence there even if you aren't particularly religious so I could see those being some names from her side of the family. Anecdotally I know a guy named Balthazar from Spain and he's not a priest.

Critical
Aug 23, 2007

actionjackson posted:

what would you say is the main reason for these messages in his music? Is it reflecting something that he feels internally, or maybe a reaction to things going on in the world (political etc.)? I'm going to assume he's nonreligious and probably has a leftist political viewpoint (?)

but most important, like me he has greyhounds! lol

trent was by his own admission in a very dark place throughout most of the 90s. his record label started loving with him and his vision during the production of broken, which led to a very angry album, as well as the production of the broken movie. If you think TDS is hosed up, the broken movie is leagues worse. just look up a synopsis if you're curious, as watching it unprepared is not something i recommend.

TDS is absolutely a concept album at it's heart, but he was definitely fighting with a lot of the themes while recording. there's stories of the entire crew crying during the recording of hurt as well as fights over what to include or leave off the album. i believe flood threatened to walk out after discussing plans for a track named "just do it" saying it was completely over the line. just a shitload of anger and misery during production as a whole.

he was pretty hosed up all the way through the release of the fragile, at which point he got clean and started on the road to becoming the still perfectionist but slightly mellower cool dad we know today

Sir Lemming
Jan 27, 2009

It's a piece of JUNK!

SUNKOS posted:

I mean if you're sufficiently goth you sometimes end up doing something Catholic by accident.

As a Christian myself I would love it if one of my favorite artists found God, but it's pretty clear he's nowhere near that. At most maybe agnostic. I know a lot of addiction recovery groups include religious stuff so maybe he was influenced by that a little bit in the mid-2000s, but Bad Witch is almost as nihilistic as TDS. Although certainly "God Break Down The Door" is a far cry from "God is dead and no one cares". So yeah, I'd go with agnostic.

polyester concept
Mar 29, 2017

Sir Lemming posted:

I mean if you're sufficiently goth you sometimes end up doing something Catholic by accident.

Sir Lemming posted:

As a Christian myself I would love it if one of my favorite artists found God, but it's pretty clear he's nowhere near that.

"I am forgiven, I am free" - trent reznor (burning bright [field on fire], 2016) :P

duckdealer
Feb 28, 2011

https://youtu.be/wJvq0N89LJc

This short interview clip contains a few thoughts from Trent on the topic of religion.

actionjackson
Jan 12, 2003

Critical posted:

trent was by his own admission in a very dark place throughout most of the 90s. his record label started loving with him and his vision during the production of broken, which led to a very angry album, as well as the production of the broken movie. If you think TDS is hosed up, the broken movie is leagues worse. just look up a synopsis if you're curious, as watching it unprepared is not something i recommend.

hmm ok, i saw the video for pinion, that was pretty weird

hatelull
Oct 29, 2004

Report back when you catch the video for "Happiness in Slavery"

actionjackson
Jan 12, 2003

hatelull posted:

Report back when you catch the video for "Happiness in Slavery"

yeah i watched the whole thing, it's on archive.org, i'm kind of desensitized already (though I wouldn't watch it again)

SUNKOS
Jun 4, 2016

I only recently learned that Pinion samples It's No Game by Bowie and I went back listening for it and :stare:

Apparently it's more audible live but I don't think they played it before coming out when I saw them. Wish there was a good quality live recording of Now I'm Nothing leading into Terrible Lie floating around :(

Speaking of controversial videos, I'm still amazed that the FBI or whoever thought that the video for Down In It was a genuine snuff movie. I imagine that must have been part of the inspiration for the Broken movie.

The REAL Goobusters
Apr 25, 2008

SUNKOS posted:

I only recently learned that Pinion samples It's No Game by Bowie and I went back listening for it and :stare:

Apparently it's more audible live but I don't think they played it before coming out when I saw them. Wish there was a good quality live recording of Now I'm Nothing leading into Terrible Lie floating around :(

Speaking of controversial videos, I'm still amazed that the FBI or whoever thought that the video for Down In It was a genuine snuff movie. I imagine that must have been part of the inspiration for the Broken movie.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yn-arvfoY0Q

Good Soldier Svejk
Jul 5, 2010

e: wrong thread

But trent's love of viscera makes me wonder how much Tetsuo the Iron Man he watched in the 90s

SUNKOS
Jun 4, 2016

Thanks for this. I've been trying to track down something from earlier for how Trent's voice sounded and having more of the electronic stuff audible but god drat at the note he hits on that final nothing is :stare::stare::stare:

Good Soldier Svejk posted:

But trent's love of viscera makes me wonder how much Tetsuo the Iron Man he watched in the 90s

Not a clue but he did contribute the main theme to the final movie in the series, Tetsuo: The Bullet Man, and it's amazing. Here it is if you haven't heard it before:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Wu9bm-RJMWM

Also Trent collaborated with Shinya Tsukamoto on a commercial for MTV Japan. It's exactly what you would expect :twisted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YK5XgMjORHc

Edit: Question for anyone who might know since I've always wondered how this was vocal effect was done and listening to Broken recently reminded me that Trent has used it as well. I'm talking about this freaky fishbowl/underwater vocal effect that Al would use for a lot of Ministry records, and Trent seems to use the same effect for the starting vocals of Gave Up:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yVpw1SwJRBI

I don't know if this was a subtle "gently caress you" to Al since it was around the time their relationship soured (liner notes for Pslam 69 and Broken seem to take pot shots at each other) but this sounds identical to whatever Al would do to his voice for a lot of Ministry material and I've always wondered what it is and how it's done, if anyone knows? I think everyone's familiar with the monstrosity that is auto-tune and I know there's pitch-altering stuff but I would love to know how this vocal effect is achieved.

The music video for Gave Up seems to be a live recording as well like the March of the Pigs video, so it must be something that works real-time? Watching Ministry's Sphinctour reveals the same as Al will talk normal into the mic and then start singing with this exact same effect.

SUNKOS fucked around with this message at 00:14 on Jan 14, 2022

david_a
Apr 24, 2010

Megamarm
I found an old thread on a gear forum with some educated guesses for Ministry’s effect

And yeah, it seems reasonable Trent would have seen how it’s done and borrowed the idea

nurmie
Dec 8, 2019

SUNKOS posted:

Edit: Question for anyone who might know since I've always wondered how this was vocal effect was done and listening to Broken recently reminded me that Trent has used it as well. I'm talking about this freaky fishbowl/underwater vocal effect that Al would use for a lot of Ministry records, and Trent seems to use the same effect for the starting vocals of Gave Up:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yVpw1SwJRBI

sounds kinda flanger-like to me - delay time quite low; depth and rate both cranked way up. maybe some tremolo somewhere in there too

nurmie fucked around with this message at 02:08 on Jan 14, 2022

SUNKOS
Jun 4, 2016

Thanks for the replies, it's interesting and seems like a lot of people have been trying to figure it out for a long time. That thread I was linked to also introduced me to Killing Joke which I'm probably the last person in this thread to hear but holy poo poo does that track sound influential as hell, I can't believe that's from 1980 :stare:

Someone in that thread mentioned that Al rented his vocal effect setup to another band (who were classed as nu-metal but I can't think of any that put out a track with that sound at all) and now I'm wondering if it was Rob Zombie, because before he went solo I think I'm Your Boogieman was one of White Zombie's final releases? His vocals on that sound like he's using whatever Al uses, just dialed up more, and given Al mentioned Rob copying him (apparently he first came to know of Rob Zombie from some guy punching Al because he thought he was Rob) I could see Rob wanting some middle party to say it's being used for some nu-metal band or something. Weird conspiracy theory but reading that he rented out to someone immediately made me think of that White Zombie track.

I wonder how Al did that stuff on tour though? Was reading old interviews where he and Paul talked about building a studio for one album (I think it was Filth Pig) and they kept using so many compressors that stuff was catching fire and equipment was breaking constantly which slowed them down a lot. It was clear that they really knew what they were doing in a studio, though. Ya know, when stuff wasn't on fire.

sticklefifer
Nov 11, 2003

by VideoGames

SUNKOS posted:

Thanks for the replies, it's interesting and seems like a lot of people have been trying to figure it out for a long time. That thread I was linked to also introduced me to Killing Joke which I'm probably the last person in this thread to hear but holy poo poo does that track sound influential as hell, I can't believe that's from 1980 :stare:
Give 1994's Pandemonium a listen too. It's Killing Joke's most 90s industrial-sounding album, and it was released within a few months of TDS. KJ and NIN are mutual fans and influences in that way (same with Gary Numan), where their old stuff influenced early NIN, but NIN influenced their later works.

Molestationary Store
May 21, 2007

Pretty sure it's been mentioned that there's a thread on what's now called gearspace that details a ton of production stuff of NIN with many people who were involved chiming in here and there. :eng101:

Quote-Unquote
Oct 22, 2002

sticklefifer posted:

Give 1994's Pandemonium a listen too. It's Killing Joke's most 90s industrial-sounding album, and it was released within a few months of TDS. KJ and NIN are mutual fans and influences in that way (same with Gary Numan), where their old stuff influenced early NIN, but NIN influenced their later works.

Seconding this recommendation; it's a great album.

Some of the vocals (including the title track) were recorded inside the Great Pyramid of Giza, because Jaz liked the acoustics lol

blue.eyed.ash
Jul 17, 2006

Winner of the 'How Badly Will A Phone Game Milk Us Idiot Cash Cows?' Contest!

Answer: About $70USD for a bad character that unlocks the grind for another.

extra letters: star-lord star-lord star-lord star-lord star-lord star-lord star-lord star-l

Molestationary Store posted:

Pretty sure it's been mentioned that there's a thread on what's now called gearspace that details a ton of production stuff of NIN with many people who were involved chiming in here and there. :eng101:

I had no idea they changed the name of the place; that’s great.

I was lucky enough to get one of the TDS-era Zoom processors they used back when Trent was selling off all his gear, and it has a bunch of the settings they used for recording still on it. For that vocal sound, you want a tremolo with a high rate and deep depth as a starting point.

(And yes, the first thing I did when I powered it up was find the Ruiner guitar tone and bang out the solo.)

blue.eyed.ash fucked around with this message at 15:30 on Jan 15, 2022

The REAL Goobusters
Apr 25, 2008
man this pic owns

https://twitter.com/rob_sheridan/status/1483524257392914433

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

I gotta rewatch my copy on Saturday!

AFewBricksShy
Jun 19, 2003

of a full load.

Rageaholic posted:

I gotta rewatch my copy on Saturday!

don't forget about the easter eggs on the dvd.

quote:

Most of the eggs are available via a hidden menu on Disc Two. In order to get to it, during "Head Like A Hole" at around the 11:20 mark, hit 7 on your remote. You will then be dropped into the secret menu called "Beneath The Surface" where the following eggs appear:

-"Reptile" live performance
-Video for "The Day The World Went Away"
-ninetynine commercial
-"The Fragile" commercial
-"Things Falling Apart" commercial
-NIN and Marilyn Manson doing part of "Starfuckers" and "Beautiful People".

Some other easter eggs are as follows…

-On Disc One, while "Gave Up" is playing near the 26:58 mark, press your Enter button on your remote. You then get a wide shot of the stage for the song.

-During the beginning of the performance of "Gave Up", hit ENTER a bunch of times. Keep hitting ENTER and you should eventually be taken to a camera's angle of the song from the crowd's point of view.
Edit: Can you even do those with an xbox/ps if you don't have the media remote?

Asnorban
Jun 13, 2003

Professor Gavelsmoke

That and the Beastie Boys Criterion release really gave me high expectations for the future of DVD features (and music dvds, specifically). Was always disappointing to get a concert or music video collection after that didn't have hidden things and alternate angles and and alternate tracks.

NonzeroCircle
Apr 12, 2010

El Camino
KoRn's "Deuce" dvd from 2002 had so much weird Eastereggy stuff in it, and you had to navigate the menus like some weird Outlast/point n click hybrid to find a lot of it. Thankfully as it was primarily menu based it was possible to "find" everything using a PS2 controller.
There's a map of it all online and an insane amount of effort went into it.
Slipknot's home video dvd had similar stuff but nowhere near as deep as Deuce

Minidust
Nov 4, 2009

Keep bustin'

NonzeroCircle posted:

KoRn's "Deuce" dvd from 2002 had so much weird Eastereggy stuff in it, and you had to navigate the menus like some weird Outlast/point n click hybrid to find a lot of it. Thankfully as it was primarily menu based it was possible to "find" everything using a PS2 controller.
There's a map of it all online and an insane amount of effort went into it.
Slipknot's home video dvd had similar stuff but nowhere near as deep as Deuce
ha, I remember initially being annoyed with the Deuce setup since I thought the whole feature was like that. But I think you had to just select stereo or surround in the sound options, then the typical ~90 minute thing would play.

As for standard music releases, I'm glad "hidden" content has mostly fallen out of vogue. It was exciting 30 years ago but now I just groan when I realize there's a bunch of silence at the end of the "last" track.

polyester concept
Mar 29, 2017

Not music related but the Memento dvd let you watch the movie in chronological order if you navigated to a secret menu, it was pretty sick

IUG
Jul 14, 2007

The two Gorillaz DVDs also had a ton of hidden and weird things on them.

AFewBricksShy
Jun 19, 2003

of a full load.

polyester concept posted:

Not music related but the Memento dvd let you watch the movie in chronological order if you navigated to a secret menu, it was pretty sick

Nolan should have put a hidden feature on the blue ray of tenet that actually let you hear the dialogue. Heyooo!

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

AFewBricksShy posted:

don't forget about the easter eggs on the dvd.

Edit: Can you even do those with an xbox/ps if you don't have the media remote?

The PS lets you pop up a soft menu with the remote keys at any time; I suspect Xboxes do as well.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

obeyasia
Sep 21, 2004

Grimey Drawer
AATCHB won't get re-released until TR can be sure MM doesn't get a cent from it (if I had to guess).