Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Calde
Jun 20, 2009
Asking for a quick assessment on this build I'm buying from a friend. They don't use it any longer and they're moving in a few months, so they're selling it for roughly at-cost at $3400 CAD

My situation:

What country are you in? Canada
What are you using the system for? Gaming and possibly amateur game development (Unity/Blender/etc)
If you're gaming, what is your monitor resolution / refresh rate? Planning to invest in either 1x ultra-wide or 2x gaming monitors, 1440p or 4k, unsure

My question:

It seems like it's running pretty close to the 650 MW on the PSU. Do I need to invest in something beefier or is that ok? Are there any components that are low-quality or sketchy I should look at replacing?

CPU: AMD Ryzen 9 3900X 3.8 GHz 12-Core Processor
CPU Cooler: Noctua NH-D15 82.5 CFM CPU Cooler
Motherboard: MSI MPG B550 GAMING CARBON WIFI ATX AM4 Motherboard
Memory: Corsair Vengeance LPX 64 GB (4 x 16 GB) DDR4-3200 CL16 Memory
Storage: ADATA XPG SX8200 Pro 2 TB M.2-2280 NVME Solid State Drive
Storage: Western Digital Blue 4 TB 2.5" Solid State Drive
Video Card: Zotac GeForce RTX 3080 10 GB GAMING AMP Holo Video Card
Case: Fractal Design Define R5 ATX Mid Tower Case
Power Supply: EVGA P2 650 W 80+ Platinum Certified Fully Modular ATX Power Supply
Case Fan: Noctua A12x25 PWM 60.1 CFM 120 mm Fan

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pilfered Pallbearers
Aug 2, 2007

Calde posted:

Asking for a quick assessment on this build I'm buying from a friend. They don't use it any longer and they're moving in a few months, so they're selling it for roughly at-cost at $3400 CAD

My situation:

What are you using the system for? Gaming and possibly amateur game development (Unity/Blender/etc)
If you're gaming, what is your monitor resolution / refresh rate? Planning to invest in either 1x ultra-wide or 2x gaming monitors, 1440p or 4k, unsure

My question:

It seems like it's running pretty close to the 650 MW on the PSU. Do I need to invest in something beefier or is that ok? Are there any components that are low-quality or sketchy I should look at replacing?

Power Supply: EVGA P2 650 W 80+ Platinum Certified Fully Modular ATX Power Supply

Calde posted:

My situation:

My question:

Buying a used PC for $2700 USD does not seem like a good deal, especially with a 2 gen old CPU.

I get that it has 4 TB of NVME, but still.

Even if you bought a scalped 3080, I believe you could built a brand new, better PC with a better CPU at that price if you converted most of that NVME to SATA ssd.

DamnGlitch
Sep 2, 2004

Pilfered Pallbearers posted:

Buying a used PC for $2700 USD does not seem like a good deal, especially with a 2 gen old CPU.

I get that it has 4 TB of NVME, but still.

Even if you bought a scalped 3080, I believe you could built a brand new, better PC with a better CPU at that price if you converted most of that NVME to SATA ssd.

Misread, nvm.

Pilfered Pallbearers
Aug 2, 2007

DamnGlitch posted:

Misread, nvm.

It’s got 4TB of NVME, which is absurd, and a 4TB sata SSD.

64GB of ram is a non-issue at this cost.

Here’s a quick and dirty GPU-less build with 1TB NVME and a 4TB sata SSD for $1700, with a significantly better CPU (better everything pretty much, except the NVME is 1TB, but faster than the 4TB nvme that machine has) These parts were picked pretty much at random and there’s plenty of room to fat cut.

That build is only really valuable if you desire 4TB of NVME from gen 3, which for this persons use case is nearly pointless.

PCPartPicker Part List

CPU: Intel Core i7-12700K 3.6 GHz 12-Core Processor ($412.95 @ Amazon)
CPU Cooler: Noctua NH-D15 82.5 CFM CPU Cooler ($99.95 @ Amazon)
Motherboard: MSI PRO Z690-A DDR4 ATX LGA1700 Motherboard ($219.99 @ Amazon)
Memory: Corsair Vengeance LPX 64 GB (2 x 32 GB) DDR4-3200 CL16 Memory ($269.99 @ Amazon)
Storage: Western Digital Blue SN570 1 TB M.2-2280 NVME Solid State Drive ($99.99 @ Amazon)
Storage: Crucial MX500 4 TB 2.5" Solid State Drive ($359.98 @ Amazon)
Case: Fractal Design Meshify 2 ATX Mid Tower Case ($163.98 @ Newegg)
Power Supply: Corsair RMx (2021) 850 W 80+ Gold Certified Fully Modular ATX Power Supply ($134.99 @ Best Buy)
Total: $1761.82
Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
Generated by PCPartPicker 2022-01-11 11:34 EST-0500

Pilfered Pallbearers
Aug 2, 2007

Surprise T Rex posted:

Thanks for the advice goons. I'm now posting from a slick-as-hell i5-12600K-powered PC. Mild panic when it didn't initially boot, but I just hadn't quite seated the GPU in the slot.

GPU is still an old as gently caress Radeon R9 285 but I took the heatsink off, cleaned out the decade of horrible dust caking the thing up and re-applied thermal paste so it should hopefully run a little better than it did before anyway.

Got to install a few fan splitters later, as the Lancool II Mesh has space for 8 (?) case fans total, and my mobo has 3 SYS_FAN headers, but even with just the three intake fans and Noctua CPU cooler it runs significantly quieter than my old zero-airflow Dell Vostro chassis with one tiny 60mm-ish fan.

You’re already near diminishing returns territory. As long as the case has exhaust, I wouldn’t add more fans unless you saw a gap in your cooling or you had extras laying around.

Surprise T Rex
Apr 9, 2008

Dinosaur Gum

You’re already near diminishing returns territory. As long as the case has exhaust, I wouldn’t add more fans unless you saw a gap in your cooling or you had extras laying around.

I already have the fans, I bought them all when I bought everything else and fit them as part of the build. I don't mind it being diminishing returns on the cooling given that I opted for like £25 of extra fans total. Just basically bought the cheapest Phanteks airflow ones I could find. Just had to wait for splitters to actually connect them.

5 intake, 3 exhaust is almost definitely overkill, though, you're probably right. At least they'll run at low RPM :v:

Surprise T Rex fucked around with this message at 17:49 on Jan 11, 2022

Calde
Jun 20, 2009
Thanks for the advice, I think the current owner has a point to all the storage space that doesn't fit my own use case, as you said, but there's a certain humor to dedicating an entire SSD to Skyrim mods.

I think I'll see if I can negotiate the price down somewhat given there is a bunch of fat I don't need.

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

What I'm getting at is...
Do you feel the same way?

Surprise T Rex posted:

5 intake, 3 exhaust is almost definitely overkill, though, you're probably right. At least they'll run at low RPM :v:

If you want an overkill overview of thermals with the Lancool 2 mesh, this guy did a pretty exhaustive test of different fan setups.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-Yf8i6SlCZo

Biggest takeaways, iirc, was the fans on the PSU shroud do help with GPU temps a bit, but don't mount your GPU vertically even if it looks cool.

Pilfered Pallbearers
Aug 2, 2007

Calde posted:

Thanks for the advice, I think the current owner has a point to all the storage space that doesn't fit my own use case, as you said, but there's a certain humor to dedicating an entire SSD to Skyrim mods.

I think I'll see if I can negotiate the price down somewhat given there is a bunch of fat I don't need.

The largest issue here is paying so much for a 3900x/3080 build. The 3900x isn’t worth much for gaming. You get some use out of it for blender, but the 12700k (or even the 12600k) will perform significantly better in all aspects, including gaming.

It’s just a lot for a 2 gen old CPU. and since we’re at the end of AM4 and DDR4 when you upgrade (it’ll be sooner than normal cause you bought an aging CPU), you’ll be doing CPU, motherboard, AND ram (and PSU cause 650w won’t cut it in 3 years).

change my name
Aug 27, 2007

Legends die but anime is forever.

RIP The Lost Otakus.

The largest issue here is paying so much for a 3900x/3080 build. The 3900x isn’t worth much for gaming. You get some use out of it for blender, but the 12700k (or even the 12600k) will perform significantly better in all aspects, including gaming.

It’s just a lot for a 2 gen old CPU. and since we’re at the end of AM4 and DDR4 when you upgrade (it’ll be sooner than normal cause you bought an aging CPU), you’ll be doing CPU, motherboard, AND ram (and PSU cause 650w won’t cut it in 3 years).

Even the i3-12100 is just as good if not better than the 3900x for gaming according to new benchmarks, poor Ryzen:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xBDFCoGhZ4g

Obviously the 3900x still renders like 3x as fast in Blender though

DamnGlitch
Sep 2, 2004

It’s got 4TB of NVME, which is absurd, and a 4TB sata SSD.

64GB of ram is a non-issue at this cost.

Here’s a quick and dirty GPU-less build with 1TB NVME and a 4TB sata SSD for $1700, with a significantly better CPU (better everything pretty much, except the NVME is 1TB, but faster than the 4TB nvme that machine has) These parts were picked pretty much at random and there’s plenty of room to fat cut.

That build is only really valuable if you desire 4TB of NVME from gen 3, which for this persons use case is nearly pointless.

I edited out my post! Goddang you!

I think having an actual 3080 at hand has some value, but otherwise yes, it’s a bit silly to sell it at cost when there are some definite depreciations.

mom and dad fight a lot
Sep 21, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 29 days!

FlamingLiberal posted:

Why does that board have a VGA port

njsykora posted:

It's probably DVI, which some mutants still use.
Looked up the model, and it's a VGA port.

Honestly, it's better than nothing. I've already whined about it itt, but the single video-output on my motherboard went unnoticed until I'd already purchased and installed it. :catstare:

Surprise T Rex
Apr 9, 2008

Dinosaur Gum
I guess this is only tangentially related to PC building, but with my new system I seem to be having some pretty dodgy audio issues. Most of my audio is crackling/popping when it plays, though it seems intermittent. I'm on Windows 11, and it seems to be happening on all audio sources (tested with Bluetooth headphones and two separate monitors with speakers, hooked into the GPU via HDMI).

Could it be something I've done wrong in the build of the PC itself? I'm coming across a bunch of articles about "DPC" which I think is some kind of driver blocking happening, and I wonder if it's related to CPU performance, which makes me wonder if I should have bought a bigger PSU as mine only had one output for the 8-pin and not for the nearby 4-pin CPU connector. Perhaps I'm underpowering my machine - not that I've gotten the CPU anywhere near 100% utilisation yet though. I just don't really know enough about this stuff to know where to look or how to resolve it.

Anyone know a fix? Or a more appropriate thread.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

Surprise T Rex posted:

I guess this is only tangentially related to PC building, but with my new system I seem to be having some pretty dodgy audio issues. Most of my audio is crackling/popping when it plays, though it seems intermittent. I'm on Windows 11, and it seems to be happening on all audio sources (tested with Bluetooth headphones and two separate monitors with speakers, hooked into the GPU via HDMI).

Could it be something I've done wrong in the build of the PC itself? I'm coming across a bunch of articles about "DPC" which I think is some kind of driver blocking happening, and I wonder if it's related to CPU performance, which makes me wonder if I should have bought a bigger PSU as mine only had one output for the 8-pin and not for the nearby 4-pin CPU connector. Perhaps I'm underpowering my machine - not that I've gotten the CPU anywhere near 100% utilisation yet though. I just don't really know enough about this stuff to know where to look or how to resolve it.

Anyone know a fix? Or a more appropriate thread.
The 4 pin connector near the CPU is probably for the CPU fan connection. That doesn't hook up to the PSU.

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

FlamingLiberal posted:

The 4 pin connector near the CPU is probably for the CPU fan connection. That doesn't hook up to the PSU.

He's talking about this:

(taken from reddit)

That extra 4-pin connector is only there for very heavy-duty overclocking really, and is completely optional. It should not be causing any audio issues.

Surprise T Rex
Apr 9, 2008

Dinosaur Gum

FlamingLiberal posted:

I mean one that looks more like this (not my pic). 4-pin was probably a bad way to describe it.

future ghost
Dec 5, 2005

:byetankie:
Gun Saliva
Run Latencymon and see if it lists any drivers causing unusually high DPC latency: https://www.resplendence.com/latencymon

What board is it?

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

Dr. Video Games 0031 posted:

He's talking about this:

(taken from reddit)

That extra 4-pin connector is only there for very heavy-duty overclocking really, and is completely optional. It should not be causing any audio issues.
OK my B550 board doesn't have that, I don't think.

Surprise T Rex
Apr 9, 2008

Dinosaur Gum

future ghost posted:

Run Latencymon and see if it lists any drivers causing unusually high DPC latency: https://www.resplendence.com/latencymon

What board is it?

I'm on a Gigabyte Z690 Gaming X DDR4.

I ran LatencyMon and this is what I see - https://imgur.com/a/TjLXHwt - definitely seems to indicate this is the problem somehow, just that the internet seems to be littered with "Been trying to solve this for months" kind of posts.

future ghost
Dec 5, 2005

:byetankie:
Gun Saliva

Surprise T Rex posted:

I ran LatencyMon and this is what I see - https://imgur.com/a/TjLXHwt - definitely seems to indicate this is the problem somehow, just that the internet seems to be littered with "Been trying to solve this for months" kind of posts.
Are you undervolting the CPU or GPU? Video, audio, and chipset drivers up to date? Do you see any WHEA errors in the Windows event logs?

Some other threads I'm seeing for wdf0100.sys calls indicate that Malwarebytes' old 2020 version or some AV scanners could be the cause. Might be a good idea to open a thread in the HOTS subforum.

future ghost fucked around with this message at 01:17 on Jan 12, 2022

Pilfered Pallbearers
Aug 2, 2007

Surprise T Rex posted:

This likely either because z690 drivers/BIOS are still barely functional (especially gigabyte) or because windows is windows.

This seems like a brutal problem with no clear solution.

I’d start by updating BIOS, and making sure all drivers are up to date (pay special attention to chipset driver and the motherboard drivers).

I don’t know what audio and lan chipset your board uses, but it might be worth seeing if there are more updated drivers directly from the manufacturer of those chipsets as well (IE Realtek or whoever).

Slayerjerman
Nov 27, 2005

by sebmojo
I dunno what is going on, but Newegg has DDR5 in stock. Maybe only with mobo combos? I just snagged a ROG z690 strix-E mobo with gskill 32gb DDR5-6000 for my new 12th gen build. Today seems like a small miracle for PC parts to me.

SSJ_naruto_2003
Oct 12, 2012

My little brother wanted a pc and a pre-built was the best bet, there was a decent looking Skytech system for $2400 with a 12600k, 1tb M.2, a 3080, and 32gb ddr5.

3 hours later it's up to $3000

Edit: this one https://skytechgaming.com/product/prism-ii-intel-12600k-nvidia-geforce-rtx-10gb-1tb-gen4-nvme-ssd-32gb-ram/

SSJ_naruto_2003 fucked around with this message at 08:45 on Jan 12, 2022

Surprise T Rex
Apr 9, 2008

Dinosaur Gum

This likely either because z690 drivers/BIOS are still barely functional (especially gigabyte) or because windows is windows.

This seems like a brutal problem with no clear solution.

I’d start by updating BIOS, and making sure all drivers are up to date (pay special attention to chipset driver and the motherboard drivers).

I don’t know what audio and lan chipset your board uses, but it might be worth seeing if there are more updated drivers directly from the manufacturer of those chipsets as well (IE Realtek or whoever).

Yeah, I've updated BIOS, updated everything from the Gigabyte website (though it doesn't sound too promising to hear you say their drivers aren't great...). I did have a look for the latest Realtek HD Audio driver on the Realtek website but couldn't seem to find a more up-to-date one.

future ghost posted:

Are you undervolting the CPU or GPU? Video, audio, and chipset drivers up to date? Do you see any WHEA errors in the Windows event logs?

Some other threads I'm seeing for wdf0100.sys calls indicate that Malwarebytes' old 2020 version or some AV scanners could be the cause. Might be a good idea to open a thread in the HOTS subforum.

Not undervolting anything (on purpose, anyway :v: )
Not running MalwareBytes or any AV other than Windows Defender.

Thanks for the input guys, I've created a thread in HOTS so as not to poo poo up the thread any more.

Super No Vacancy
Jul 26, 2012

SSJ_naruto_2003 posted:

My little brother wanted a pc and a pre-built was the best bet, there was a decent looking Skytech system for $2400 with a 12600k, 1tb M.2, a 3080, and 32gb ddr5.

3 hours later it's up to $3000

Edit: this one https://skytechgaming.com/product/prism-ii-intel-12600k-nvidia-geforce-rtx-10gb-1tb-gen4-nvme-ssd-32gb-ram/

anyone have any thoughts on this as a sub-1500 prebuilt? ryzen 5 and 3060 12gb?

https://skytechgaming.com/product/chronos-amd-ryzen-5-3600-nvidia-geforce-rtx-12gb-1tb-nvme-ssd-16gb-ram/

CodfishCartographer
Feb 23, 2010

Gadus Maprocephalus

Pillbug
Not sure if this is exactly the right thread, but any suggestions for a decent external hard drive for <$100? doesn't need to be huge, mostly just want to use it for overflow stuff, even like 1-2tb is fine.

Pilfered Pallbearers
Aug 2, 2007

CodfishCartographer posted:

Not sure if this is exactly the right thread, but any suggestions for a decent external hard drive for <$100? doesn't need to be huge, mostly just want to use it for overflow stuff, even like 1-2tb is fine.

For a storage HDD whatever you can find that’s a good price. It doesn’t matter too much. NAS/storage thread would know better

CodfishCartographer
Feb 23, 2010

Gadus Maprocephalus

Pillbug

For a storage HDD whatever you can find that’s a good price. It doesn’t matter too much. NAS/storage thread would know better

D'oh I missed that thread, yeah I'll ask there

lurker2006
Jul 30, 2019
It's not terrible but it's not great, scalped 3060s go for 700-750 on ebay buyitnow and for 650 more you could probably build a better intel 12th gen system with an aftermarket cooler if you're budget conscious. If you check a sales discord or /r/buildapcsales you can find 3060 ti and even 3070 builds around that price point or sometimes even cheaper in the case of the 3060ti.

lurker2006 fucked around with this message at 10:33 on Jan 13, 2022

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

The 3060 Ti NZXT BLD kit for $1400 that I linked earlier is an example of an equivalently priced system that will get better gaming performance. It does have a worse CPU, but the GPU is far more important for gaming performance, so that's what should be prioritized.

I don't know if I've seen any 3070 prebuilts for less than $1500 except for weird lovely OEM PCs. You're really starting more at $1600 there, and those are typically cheap or crappy prebuilts in some way like those terrible Asus ones. (Actually, do they even still sell those? They aren't on newegg anymore.)

edit: best buy has a 5600X/3060 Ti prebuilt for $1500 from Skytech, also a halfway decent deal: https://www.bestbuy.com/site/skytec...p?skuId=6482938

Just uh,

check the cooler before turning it on :v:

probably a better deal than the BLD kit or that link above though. Best Buy has free shipping unlike NZXT, so for $50 more you're getting a 5600X instead of an 11400. That's worth it. The case is a rebranded InWin case (one of the 300-series cases I believe). It looks lovely, but it's not completely awful. The side fan slots are super restrictive, but IIRC there are bottom fan slots on it that could help. Overall this is probably $750 - $800 worth of stuff without the GPU, so this isn't the worst markup I've ever seen on a prebuilt.

This 3070 Skytech PC is harder to recommend. The 3600 is okay, good enough for 1440p gaming, but it's not good for the price. It's using the ASRock B450M/AC mATX motherboard, which is again is kinda mediocre for the price. And then there's a stock cooler just to cement how cheap everything but the 3070 here is. I estimate this is about $700 worth of parts without the GPU. An unimpressive deal.

Dr. Video Games 0031 fucked around with this message at 11:08 on Jan 13, 2022

EightDeer
Dec 2, 2011

Hey, I wanted some advice on whether or not it's worthwhile upgrading from an i7-8700 to an i9-9900K. Yes, I know the 12th generation Alder Lake CPUs are a far more substantial upgrade, but if I went that route I'd have to buy a new motherboard and memory along with the CPU. The 9900K can just be installed onto my current board with a minimum of effort.

What country are you in? Australia.
What are you using the system for? Gaming and web browsing.
What's your budget? The 9900K is currently selling for $570 AUD, which I can easily afford.
If you're gaming, what is your monitor resolution / refresh rate? How fancy do you want your graphics, from “it runs” to “Ultra preset as fast as possible”? I game at 3840x2160 @ 98Hz, with all the eye candy maxed out.

Here's my current system specs:

Butterfly Valley
Apr 19, 2007

I am a spectacularly bad poster and everyone in the Schadenfreude thread hates my guts.

EightDeer posted:

Hey, I wanted some advice on whether or not it's worthwhile upgrading from an i7-8700 to an i9-9900K.

Not in the slightest. With a 3090 at 4k you're totally GPU bound.

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

I think you're going to be fairly GPU-bottlenecked while gaming at 4K ultra settings. Have you noticed any games where you weren't at 95 - 100% GPU utilization at max boost clock?

edit: beaten

Pilfered Pallbearers
Aug 2, 2007

EightDeer posted:

Hey, I wanted some advice on whether or not it's worthwhile upgrading from an i7-8700 to an i9-9900K. Yes, I know the 12th generation Alder Lake CPUs are a far more substantial upgrade, but if I went that route I'd have to buy a new motherboard and memory along with the CPU. The 9900K can just be installed onto my current board with a minimum of effort.

What country are you in? Australia.
What are you using the system for? Gaming and web browsing.
What's your budget? The 9900K is currently selling for $570 AUD, which I can easily afford.
If you're gaming, what is your monitor resolution / refresh rate? How fancy do you want your graphics, from “it runs” to “Ultra preset as fast as possible”? I game at 3840x2160 @ 98Hz, with all the eye candy maxed out.

Absolutely not, for a few reasons.

1. You’re probably GPU bound at 4K. The 3090 is just barely capable of 4K@60hz in some instances You may get better consistency with a new CPU, but you won’t push higher frames or settings all that much.

2. $417 USD is insane for an in socket intel bump that will barely get you 10% performance increase.

3. You can upgrade to 12th gen for nearly the same cost. You do not need to upgrade your ram. 12th gen intel supports DDR4.

PCPartPicker Part List

CPU: Intel Core i5-12600K 3.7 GHz 10-Core Processor ($294.99 @ Newegg)
Motherboard: MSI PRO Z690-A DDR4 ATX LGA1700 Motherboard ($219.99 @ B&H)
Total: $514.98
Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
Generated by PCPartPicker 2022-01-13 10:06 EST-0500

Super No Vacancy
Jul 26, 2012

edit: best buy has a 5600X/3060 Ti prebuilt for $1500 from Skytech, also a halfway decent deal: https://www.bestbuy.com/site/skytec...p?skuId=6482938

Just uh,

check the cooler before turning it on :v:

probably a better deal than the BLD kit or that link above though. Best Buy has free shipping unlike NZXT, so for $50 more you're getting a 5600X instead of an 11400. That's worth it. The case is a rebranded InWin case (one of the 300-series cases I believe). It looks lovely, but it's not completely awful. The side fan slots are super restrictive, but IIRC there are bottom fan slots on it that could help. Overall this is probably $750 - $800 worth of stuff without the GPU, so this isn't the worst markup I've ever seen on a prebuilt.

This 3070 Skytech PC is harder to recommend. The 3600 is okay, good enough for 1440p gaming, but it's not good for the price. It's using the ASRock B450M/AC mATX motherboard, which is again is kinda mediocre for the price. And then there's a stock cooler just to cement how cheap everything but the 3070 here is. I estimate this is about $700 worth of parts without the GPU. An unimpressive deal.

thanks!

just looking at whats the deepest discount on best buy they have this AMD Ryzen 7 5700G - 16GB Memory - AMD Radeon RX 6700 XT for $1650 https://www.bestbuy.com/site/cyberp...p?skuId=6479750 but the specs dont say what the power supply is and the brand is in the Q&A section saying 'yeah the psu isn't specified because it's dependent on whatever is available when the pc is built' like ohhh they're really just putting these together with whatever they have an excess of huh. explains why a guy in the reviews was like 'says no bluetooth but actually bluetooth is supported'

pmchem
Jan 22, 2010

anyone use tanga.com to buy parts? what's the catch on this P500A case?
https://www.tanga.com/deals/cea6f1d10a48/phanteks-eclipse-p500a-high-airflow-atx-mid-towedual-system-capable

amazon hasn't had it as low as that price in like a year and newegg is almost $20 more (that's on a discount right now, too).

I'm tempted to order it while the deal lasts but don't want to be stuck dealing with a bad company if the case is damaged in transit or whatever.

change my name
Aug 27, 2007

Legends die but anime is forever.

RIP The Lost Otakus.

change my name posted:

Are there any good 600+ watt SFX PSUs under $100? I think if I get a big enough tax rebate this year that's what I'll spend it on; I previously complained about my 3070's high temps but getting a smaller power supply would ameliorate that somewhat as it would let the GPU suck in more air.

Nevermind, I'm just going to take everyone's advice and rebuild my system in the NR200P for the same cost. My PSU is fine and I have 6 years left on the warranty, why bother swapping it

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

What I'm getting at is...
Do you feel the same way?

change my name posted:

Nevermind, I'm just going to take everyone's advice and rebuild my system in the NR200P for the same cost. My PSU is fine and I have 6 years left on the warranty, why bother swapping it

That seems to be the sff case to get. It looks real sleek.

EightDeer
Dec 2, 2011

Butterfly Valley posted:

Not in the slightest. With a 3090 at 4k you're totally GPU bound.

I think you're going to be fairly GPU-bottlenecked while gaming at 4K ultra settings. Have you noticed any games where you weren't at 95 - 100% GPU utilization at max boost clock?

1. You’re probably GPU bound at 4K. The 3090 is just barely capable of 4K@60hz in some instances You may get better consistency with a new CPU, but you won’t push higher frames or settings all that much.
Sort of. To give an example: in Immortals Fenyx Rising (recent AAA title), RTSS tells me my GPU hovers at about 97% usage, but the CPU usage is somewhere about 70-80%. That's quite a lot of CPU horsepower it's using, although I suspect it would be less taxing on a non open-world game without such massive draw distance.

3. You can upgrade to 12th gen for nearly the same cost. You do not need to upgrade your ram. 12th gen intel supports DDR4.
Not really. Everything's more expensive here in Australia; I looked up the price of the parts you recommended, and it comes out to $818 AUD ($597 USD).

However, the consensus seems to be that I'd just be wasting money on the 9900K.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dick Trauma
Nov 30, 2007

God damn it, you've got to be kind.

EightDeer posted:

I still have a Sidewinder Precision 2 for flight sims. :corsair: