Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ardennes
May 12, 2002
That and also railroads can make passenger service the lowest priority without serious pushback. If anything it is one system that makes sure nothing will ever get better.

Even Portland had silently has thrown up it hands and now unquestionably worships the car.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Electro-Boogie Jack
Nov 22, 2006
bagger mcguirk sent me.

Pepe Silvia Browne posted:

i know comparatively this doesn't seem like much of a complaint but for two cities this close to each other, in the same (BLUE) state, there's no reason why this doesn't exist beyond Car/Oil Companies Say No

I don't think car/oil companies even need to say no anymore, between sprawl making car trips more attractive to a larger and often relatively wealthy slice of the population and basically all politicians having terminal cases of car brain, the question probably doesn't even come up often enough for either of those industries to have to slap it down.

Pryor on Fire
May 14, 2013

they don't know all alien abduction experiences can be explained by people thinking saving private ryan was a documentary

It is kind of funny how we elected the train president and the trains are worse than ever. You'd think we'd at least get one new train? Maybe just one train from the guy who was all about trains? No. No trains.

skooma512
Feb 8, 2012

You couldn't grok my race car, but you dug the roadside blur.

Boywhiz88 posted:

Wait. This is real and not a rendering? That really loving sucks!!!

Yup, that's Dodger Stadium. They have a bus route for the public transport, and that's about it.

For even more capitalism.jpg the stadium doesn't technically even own the parking lot because the previous owner still does (it was a divorce thing) and he is more than happy to just rent-seek and even gently caress with the stadium rather than something a little smarter like a tram from Union Station.

Electro-Boogie Jack posted:

I don't think car/oil companies even need to say no anymore, between sprawl making car trips more attractive to a larger and often relatively wealthy slice of the population and basically all politicians having terminal cases of car brain, the question probably doesn't even come up often enough for either of those industries to have to slap it down.

The propaganda campaign began in the time of the Boomer childhood and the construction of the highway. Once a couple generations grew up that way with no alternative, there wasn't any need for the propaganda as the car actually is the most time efficient transport method in the US today (because they sabotaged and didn't build any alternative)

mortons stork
Oct 13, 2012

Ardennes posted:

I think that is both true and also, the idea you can take regular regional trains to even small country towns is pretty mind blowing to an American, who would have to probably take 6 different buses to get there is they didn’t have a car.

But yeah Alitalia died more from graft and mismanagement than anything else but high speed rail didn’t do them any favors. The real issue in Italy there is a zero percent chance of having an competent government that would actually work to address the country’s issues, not a unique issue by any means, but yeah.

Yes, our rail network is truly excellent in spite of itself, and in spite of deliberate attempts to cripple it. As usual there are the traditional North-south disparities replicated in our rail infrastructure, in that parts of the South here have either no rail, or single-track, non-electrified (heard rumors of certain southern lines only recently abandoning coal powered locmotives but i dont know how seriously to take them), spotty coverage etc. This is esp. bad in Sicily.
Also, the truly common tale to all the world is efforts by the car industry to gently caress up railway infrastructure. In italy investments in rail were crippled and partial dismantlement started, esp. of freight rail, at the behest of fiat, who had an ear in the government and really wanted to sell trucks and cars in the 60s. thats also why we got our monstrous motorway projects.

rome to this day has like 2% of its prewar rail infrastructure, looking especially at tram lines, because of a pro-car mayor in the 60s who just like loving tore everything out lmao.

as regards alitalia, i agree with your assessment. it wasnt doing well already, then it sunk a gigantic pile of money into a boondoggle of an airport an hour off of milan nobody else wanted to use, then high speed rail likely delivered the coup de grace by taking a big slice of its revenue from the rome-milan ferry route.

Ardennes
May 12, 2002

Pryor on Fire posted:

It is kind of funny how we elected the train president and the trains are worse than ever. You'd think we'd at least get one new train? Maybe just one train from the guy who was all about trains? No. No trains.

Amtrak did get some marginal capital spending in the infrastructure bill but it a drop in the bucket considering and mostly aimed at new rolling stock and the North Eastern corridor.

Yeah, for Italy, I think it is on average pretty good but with some pretty big caveats. Rome especially is a mess (hardly a unique opinion) and could have easily had a much more cohesive system considering its previous infrastructure (also it’s suppose to be the capital…) but obviously they let cars take control and now Romans are paying for it. There has been some hope with the newest merl line but it has to be possible to combine existing rail infrastructure into something more like a cohesive s-barn system like Moscow is doing. There are elements of infrastructure there but they need to be brought together in a unified system.

Milan in comparison is a bit stark.

That said, other cities like Florence, Venice, Genoa and Naples are probably always going to be limited by geography and history.

Ardennes has issued a correction as of 20:17 on Jan 10, 2022

distortion park
Apr 25, 2011

Amtrak management's competency gets such harsh criticism from what seem to be knowledgeable people who want better for the states.

https://pedestrianobservations.com/2021/05/06/amtraks-continued-ignorance/ posted:

As with most such fraud, he is probably lying to himself and not just to the people who pay his salary. Americans, as a collective, are wantonly ignorant of the rest of the world. The only time they interact with the rest of the world, especially countries that don’t speak English, is through intermediaries in international consulting, who get the skewed sample of world projects that invite in international consultants, omitting the bulk of public works built in states with in-house design capacity. Individual Americans can be knowledgeable, but their knowledge is not respected, even by people who profess their interest in state capacity. Thus, no matter how smart individual Americans can get, collectively America remains incurious.

This is the most acute in mainline rail. I suspect that this relates to the rail industry’s highway envy. For a railroader like Flynn, steeped in a culture that is technologically and institutionally reactionary and looks back to its heyday in the first half of the 20th century, the enemy, that is the Interstate system, is the obvious model for how to build. That this model produced severe cost overruns on the highways themselves does not matter; that treating rails institutionally like roads is inappropriate does not matter; that systems that get as much ridership in two days (cf. JR East) as Amtrak gets in an entire year and deliver a profit to their shareholders doing so work differently does not matter. The future, which is not in the United States in this field and hasn’t been in 60 years, is one in which people like Flynn do not even qualify for an internship

AnimeIsTrash
Jun 30, 2018

Pryor on Fire posted:

The DC metro has been on fire so many times it's a meme now. I was on the metro one of those times and was 4 hours late for my work orientation.

https://twitter.com/ismetroonfire?lang=en

Xaris
Jul 25, 2006

Lucky there's a family guy
Lucky there's a man who positively can do
All the things that make us
Laugh and cry

Ardennes posted:

That said, other cities like Florence, Venice, Genoa and Naples are probably always going to be limited by geography and history.

you can pretty much walk across firenze or venizia in like under an hour and rail goes right to city central. there's a few buses from some of the rare further flung or like airport connection which seems fine. their geographic/history is mostly the reason they don't really need any other transit besides that.

Ardennes
May 12, 2002
Part of it is clearly controlled demolition, there is zero interest in allowing Amtrak to be truly successful.

That said, the Japanese rail system itself is a bit nutty considering it is nearly completely privatized considering how much the country depends on it. If anything rail travel in Japan could be a lot better but even so it is still light years beyond the US.

Xaris posted:

you can pretty much walk across firenze or venizia in like under an hour and rail goes right to city central. there's a few buses from some of the rare further flung or like airport connection which seems fine. their geographic/history is mostly the reason they don't really need any other transit besides that.

There are plenty of areas in those cities that tourists don’t see though and while things have improved, it could be better. Venezia and Florence has okay tram systems but they are far from comprehensive even considering geography.

Ardennes has issued a correction as of 20:31 on Jan 10, 2022

distortion park
Apr 25, 2011

Ardennes posted:

That said, the Japanese rail system itself is a bit nutty considering it is nearly completely privatized considering how much the country depends on it. If anything rail travel in Japan could be a lot better but even so it is still light years beyond the US.

It's privatised but it's also not private in the way that like PepsiCo is or something. It's important to look at how it functions and operates as well - heavy use of land value capture as a funding mechanism is one example of a mechanism that:
- is SOE-like
- an SOE should be able to execute on even more effectively with the right framework

e: i suppose that it's just another example of the importance of competence, we can't just advocate for government control of investment/operations, we have to demand effective, outcome driven administration as well

Ardennes
May 12, 2002

pointsofdata posted:

It's privatised but it's also not private in the way that like PepsiCo is or something. It's important to look at how it functions and operates as well - heavy use of land value capture as a funding mechanism is one example of a mechanism that:
- is SOE-like
- an SOE should be able to execute on even more effectively with the right framework

e: i suppose that it's just another example of the importance of competence, we can't just advocate for government control of investment/operations, we have to demand effective, outcome driven administration as well

I still think a single centrally controlled company could do a better job, honestly Russian Railways is probably a better model even considering it’s issues. The regionalization is JR especially isn’t helping.

It also goes to rapid transit as well where could you could easily nationalize systems and provide a single flat price.

distortion park
Apr 25, 2011

Ardennes posted:

I still think a single centrally controlled company could do a better job, honestly Russian Railways is probably a better model even considering it’s issues. The regionalization is JR especially isn’t helping.

It also goes to rapid transit as well where could you could easily nationalize systems and provide a single flat price.

Oh yeah agreed, I'm just saying it's totally insufficient in the absence of the right culture and skills. The current US institutions (and many in other countries) are state run and provide garbage value for resources invested.

mortons stork
Oct 13, 2012

Ardennes posted:

Could you expand on russian railways? all i ever heard from people was vague 'RZhD is good' but i never truly followed how the company functioned, what investments it made etc

Ardennes
May 12, 2002

mortons stork posted:

Could you expand on russian railways? all i ever heard from people was vague 'RZhD is good' but i never truly followed how the company functioned, what investments it made etc

It mostly received everything from pre-breakup infrastructure, although it has privatized some freight operations. I would say it’s central strength is that it honestly provides decent quality long-haul service at affordable prices even considering some compromises. It is far free from flaws but at the same time it ties the country in a way other services can’t. The newer rolling stock is also pretty modern and comfortable.

Also, Russia/the former Soviet Union has its own railway culture that is worth experiencing.

——-

RzD is less of an example of a perfect company (there is corruption etc) but more that passenger service in even a huge country indeed possible but it’s really only effective if the state takes direct control of almost almost all aspects of operations.

Ardennes has issued a correction as of 04:02 on Jan 11, 2022

Jestery
Aug 2, 2016

Not a Dickman, just a shape
Just got my first punishment pass, followed by a reverse at the traffic lights 30 meters later

I hate cars.

Boywhiz88
Sep 11, 2005

floating 26" off da ground. BURR!

Jestery posted:

Just got my first punishment pass, followed by a reverse at the traffic lights 30 meters later

https://youtu.be/xq0XNILIYTw

Sphyre
Jun 14, 2001

i understand the punishment pass part, what's a reverse at the traffic lights

SKULL.GIF
Jan 20, 2017

Sphyre posted:

i understand the punishment pass part, what's a reverse at the traffic lights

the bike pulls up behind the oversized suv. the cage abruptly reverses, forcing the biker to bail and potentially watch their bike be crunched

Lastgirl
Sep 7, 1997

Good Morning!
Sunday Morning!
kill cars

Jestery
Aug 2, 2016

Not a Dickman, just a shape

SKULL.GIF posted:

the bike pulls up behind the oversized suv. the cage abruptly reverses, forcing the biker to bail and potentially watch their bike be crunched

Yerp

Cugel the Clever
Apr 5, 2009
I LOVE AMERICA AND CAPITALISM DESPITE BEING POOR AS FUCK. I WILL NEVER RETIRE BUT HERE'S ANOTHER 200$ FOR UKRAINE, SLAVA
Good news, everyone! California is investing its budget surplus back in the people loving drivers.

https://twitter.com/business/status/1480665776495656962?t=213gf5YtFRNSFXB0fvUklw&s=19

Not only does it encourage gas guzzling (so much for being worried about climate change!), but it also has 0 positive impact on the many Californians who don't drive...

LonsomeSon
Nov 22, 2009

A fishperson in an intimidating hat!

a rising tide lifts all boats, that’s why im all in on climate change

Zerg Mans
Oct 19, 2006

also gently caress semis just absolute road destroying gas guzzling people-flatteners that totally suck compared to trains

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011
i hate cars

Zerg Mans
Oct 19, 2006

do we have a train thread or can this be a train thread

because I just found out that Austria opened a premium night sleeper line from Graz to Zurich for like 80 euros round trip if you schedule ahead and holy poo poo that sounds awesome to just take a day trip to zurich, be well rested, and go back to grandma's over the next night

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011

zegermans posted:

because I just found out that Austria opened a premium night sleeper line from Graz to Zurich for like 80 euros round trip if you schedule ahead and holy poo poo that sounds awesome to just take a day trip to zurich, be well rested, and go back to grandma's over the next night

loving trains comes with hating cars so this is definitely the thread for talking about how trains are the best form of transportation known to man

Electro-Boogie Jack
Nov 22, 2006
bagger mcguirk sent me.

zegermans posted:

that rules. there's no better sleep than sleep on a train

bikes :respek: trains
hating cars

Bobstar
Feb 8, 2006

KartooshFace, you are not responding efficiently!

zegermans posted:

Sleeper trains in Europe went downhill (metaphorically, and probably sometimes literally) in these last decades. Competition from low-cost airlines, but also other things - e.g. I think the excellent Paris-Madrid sleeper was axed when they opened the daytime TGV from Paris to Barcelona. If you get the early train, you can then connect to Madrid on an AVE same day.

Downsides: if you're coming from e.g. Amsterdam, you can't make the early TGV, so you have to spend a night in Paris or Barcelona. And now the entire trip takes place while you're awake. Where's the fun in that??

But the Austrians seem to be leading a sleeper train resurgence, which is nice. Europe is the perfect size for overnight train travel. I mean I probably would try a direct TGV from Amsterdam to Madrid in [adds up segments] around 12h45, but it makes more sense to sleep through it.

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011

Bobstar posted:

Sleeper trains in Europe went downhill (metaphorically, and probably sometimes literally) in these last decades. Competition from low-cost airlines, but also other things - e.g. I think the excellent Paris-Madrid sleeper was axed when they opened the daytime TGV from Paris to Barcelona. If you get the early train, you can then connect to Madrid on an AVE same day.

Downsides: if you're coming from e.g. Amsterdam, you can't make the early TGV, so you have to spend a night in Paris or Barcelona. And now the entire trip takes place while you're awake. Where's the fun in that??

But the Austrians seem to be leading a sleeper train resurgence, which is nice. Europe is the perfect size for overnight train travel. I mean I probably would try a direct TGV from Amsterdam to Madrid in [adds up segments] around 12h45, but it makes more sense to sleep through it.

Years ago I took a sleeper train from Berlin to Paris, but I was poor enough that I couldn't get a good sleeper compartment and instead had to spend the night sitting upright in a compartment with half a dozen other people. It was still awesome though.

Ardennes
May 12, 2002
Yeah, sleeper services are great and honestly usually pretty time efficient, I just wish there were more “semi-high speed” services that could thread the needle between high speed rail and usually much older rolling stock but that may be changing.

lobster shirt
Jun 14, 2021

i once took an overnight train from saint petersburg to moscow, it was pretty cool. i think there's a high speed connection now that you can take during the day.

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011

lobster shirt posted:

i once took an overnight train from saint petersburg to moscow, it was pretty cool. i think there's a high speed connection now that you can take during the day.

the high-speed connection is great. Four and a half hours from central Petersburg to central Moscow with the comfort of train travel, it is so much better than the equivalent trip by plane

mortons stork
Oct 13, 2012
i traveled around norway on night trains and it was pretty awesome. its pretty cool that they still keep those around
wish we had more of those in italy for some of the less prestigious routes

Magic Hate Ball
May 6, 2007

ha ha ha!
you've already paid for this
Sleeper trains should be the future of long-distance travel imho.

Mayor Dave
Feb 20, 2009

Bernie the Snow Clown

zegermans posted:

There's the donoteat thread but this one has way more traffic and there's significant overlap so I say go for it

sat on my keys!
Oct 2, 2014

multimodal transportation owns. i love bringing my bike onto the train and then riding home. especially on those Amtrak routes where they have hooks for bikes in the baggage car so that you don't have to turn the bars or pedals.

Nitevision
Oct 5, 2004

Your Friendly FYAD Helper
Ask Me For FYAD Help
Another Reason To Talk To Me Is To Hangout
https://twitter.com/verge/status/1480331682700050440?s=20

Elton Musk sir I didn't know you could get more Epic sir

lobster shirt
Jun 14, 2021

it's so cool how americas regulatory apparatus is so moribund that it apparently can't do anything about a "make my car drive in manner that is unsafe and illegal" setting

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ErrorInvalidUser
Aug 23, 2021

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
there's no point to regulate imo. its the driver's responsibility if their machine breaks the law