Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

smellmycheese
Feb 1, 2016

Reese has some words for all you doubters…

https://twitter.com/ReeseW/status/1480953798013054976

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

repiv
Aug 13, 2009

new monkey scam dropped

https://twitter.com/bamdotcom1/status/1480895489910398978

Gutcruncher posted:

So like, is cryptoland parody? It seems too stupid to be real but look at everything involving crypto…

it's real enough that they're selling the NFTs of the coin character

https://opensea.io/collection/cryptolanders

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

What I'm getting at is...
Do you feel the same way?

increasingly feels like we're living in a topsy turvy nightmare.

Mercury_Storm
Jun 12, 2003

*chomp chomp chomp*

Gutcruncher posted:

So like, is cryptoland parody? It seems too stupid to be real but look at everything involving crypto…

I think it's one of those things where everything about it is designed to attract a very specific type of idiot (crpyto bros who are very concerned about age of consent ..... being lower or nonexistent). Similar to Nigerian scam emails with intentional typos and obviously implausible scenarios to weed out anyone who is actually using their brain, making the scams run more smoothly.

BigBadSteve
Apr 29, 2009

Ghost Leviathan posted:

Literally just that Bob the Angry Flower comic.

https://www.angryflower.com/348.html

Here's another about debating the likes of Bitcoiners.
https://www.angryflower.com/1423.html

Mad Dragon
Feb 29, 2004

NFT: No more Fucking Tiny dick pics in my dms.

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Bucswabe
May 2, 2009

Gutcruncher posted:

I'm so confused. About half the video seems 100% earnest, and the other half 100% parody. Is that coin monster an original creation? I've never seen a more sinister character for something that is, ostensibly, trying to sell me on a good idea...

marxismftw
Apr 16, 2010

It's too well done and too long to be a parody.

BigRed0427
Mar 23, 2007

There's no one I'd rather be than me.

It looks like it was done by the same studio that made Foodfight.

Klyith
Aug 3, 2007

GBS Pledge Week

CaptainSarcastic posted:

This made me think of how I have never really understood cosmetics purchases in games. I'm like, does this give me any benefit? Does it give me bonuses? Does it do anything at all? No? Then why would I spend money on it?

Why would you ever spend money on something that gave you benefits and bonuses? If you suck so bad that only the $20 Epic Sword of Pwnage can make you have a good time, why not just admit it and stop playing?

Either follow Nietzsche and subject yourself to endless loss until you overcome your suck and feel the true happiness of overcoming resistance through hard work. Or allow yourself to experience the ego death of admitting that you are Bad at Videogame and emerge on the other side, enlightened.

anyways cosmetic DLC is basically a tip jar to give some extra money to devs whose work you enjoy

tehinternet
Feb 14, 2005

Semantically, "you" is both singular and plural, though syntactically it is always plural. It always takes a verb form that originally marked the word as plural.

Also, there is no plural when the context is an argument with an individual rather than a group. Somfin shouldn't put words in my mouth.

Klyith posted:

Either follow Nietzsche and subject yourself to endless loss until you overcome your suck and feel the true happiness of overcoming resistance through hard work. Or allow yourself to experience the ego death of admitting that you are Bad at Videogame and emerge on the other side, enlightened.

Both of these require the capacity for self reflection which is actively selected against in the crypto ecosystem

E: and basically all of social media too

Senor Tron
May 26, 2006

Reese WithAScam.

Shinjobi
Jul 10, 2008

Gravy Boat 2k
I miss regular pogs

JAMOOOL
Oct 18, 2004

:qq: I LOVE TWO AND HALF MEN!! YOU 20 SOMETHINGS ARE JUST TOO CYNICAL TO UNDERSTAND IT!!:qq:
The Cryptoland thing isn't parody, I think some people just forget that these people are terminally online and therefore do have a sense of humor about what they do, at least within their own tribe. They are also more than willing to dump money into hiring animators and writers because there's nothing they crave more than attention.

Zil
Jun 4, 2011

Satanically Summoned Citrus

Mad Dragon posted:

NFT: No more Fucking Tiny dick pics in my dms.

That just seems to be asking for cryptobros to send dick pics.

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose

Zil posted:

BRB looking up pictures of Dick Van Dyke so I can be That Guy.

Democratic Pirate
Feb 17, 2010

I’m totally gonna be the world’s biggest philanthropist, I swear. I just can’t start giving money to charity until I have enough money to be the world’s biggest philanthropist. $22B won’t get me there.

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

Was looking for a co2 monitor. Did some research and it seems the cheap ones tend to be dramatically off, but there was a $150 sensor that was consistently tested as accurate.

But wait, they're sold out and cost over a thousand dollars on amazon? I checked out ebay and

https://i.imgur.com/v3od9jm.png

loving blockchainers ruin everything

Dial A For Awesome
May 23, 2009

Zil posted:

But what if she converts those dick pics into a series of Bored Ape-nis NFTs?!? Then the cryptobros will have lost ownership of their own dicks!

drk
Jan 16, 2005

Tunicate posted:

Was looking for a co2 monitor. Did some research and it seems the cheap ones tend to be dramatically off, but there was a $150 sensor that was consistently tested as accurate.

But wait, they're sold out and cost over a thousand dollars on amazon? I checked out ebay and

https://i.imgur.com/v3od9jm.png

loving blockchainers ruin everything

I quite like my Awair, bought it last year for $149 directly from them. Seems like its now $299 direct now and out of stock? Sucks.

My main advice from having one for the past couple years would be: open a window, maybe more than you think you should. A cheap box fan in a window can move a lot of air. Helps to live in a climate where that makes sense, though stale air gets exchanged a lot quicker than heat does (due to the thermal mass of the house, presumably).

SatansOnion
Dec 12, 2011

Dial A For Awesome posted:

But what if she converts those dick pics into a series of Bored Ape-nis NFTs?!? Then the cryptobros will have lost ownership of their own dicks!

given the sorts of things they typically want to do with it, the notion of being able to somehow limit access rights to a given cryptobutt enthusiast’s own prick sounds too much like a good thing to ever happen

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

Let's get drunk and kiss each other all night.

Dial A For Awesome posted:

Surprised there hasn’t been some randomly generated series of cartoony or realistic dicks to sell as nfts already.

Hello Sailor
May 3, 2006

we're all mad here

SatansOnion posted:

given the sorts of things they typically want to do with it, the notion of being able to somehow limit access rights to a given cryptobutt enthusiast’s own prick sounds too much like a good thing to ever happen

If crypto-findom isn't already a thing (record your shame on the blockchain!), it's only a matter of time.

Gutcruncher
Apr 16, 2005

Go home and be a family man!

Hello Sailor posted:

If crypto-findom isn't already a thing (record your shame on the blockchain!), it's only a matter of time.

She’s already selling virtual fart jars though

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

It's okay if you have any questions.

priznat posted:

Surprised there hasn’t been some randomly generated series of cartoony or realistic dicks to sell as nfts already.

There was a series of badly drawn scrotums at one point.

coelomate
Oct 21, 2020

Cryptoland is definitely a real grift. If you think the people behind it are hoping to successfully build it rather than just stealing money from gullible people, you haven't been watching this space long enough.

Mad Dragon
Feb 29, 2004

0.30 cents? Homie can't figure out decimals, how do we know how much it'll really earn per month?

Paladinus
Jan 11, 2014

heyHEYYYY!!!

JAMOOOL posted:

The Cryptoland thing isn't parody, I think some people just forget that these people are terminally online and therefore do have a sense of humor about what they do, at least within their own tribe. They are also more than willing to dump money into hiring animators and writers because there's nothing they crave more than attention.

Honey badger don't care!

-- Anonymous Cryptoland Enthusiast, 2022

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

Let's get drunk and kiss each other all night.

ultrafilter posted:

Are you sure they weren’t just really ugly ape pics :haw:

DerekSmartymans
Feb 14, 2005

The
Copacetic
Ascetic

chaosbreather posted:

For real. I have played a LOT of video games and I have never once went 'wow i wish i had that sword' or 'that hat'. Other people on the screen in video games are usually pretty tiny and the poo poo they hold are like, even tinier.

Counterpoint:

Would spend tons of pogs to play this guy in God of War on PC…
:colbert:

novamute
Jul 5, 2006

o o o

priznat posted:

This has 100% been done

DerekSmartymans
Feb 14, 2005

The
Copacetic
Ascetic

EorayMel posted:

New Fraud Technology

:vince:

Edit:

ultrafilter posted:

No. Such. Thing.

DerekSmartymans fucked around with this message at 03:25 on Jan 12, 2022

CaptainSarcastic
Jul 6, 2013

Klyith posted:

Why would you ever spend money on something that gave you benefits and bonuses? If you suck so bad that only the $20 Epic Sword of Pwnage can make you have a good time, why not just admit it and stop playing?

anyways cosmetic DLC is basically a tip jar to give some extra money to devs whose work you enjoy

I assume the first part of this is hyperbole, but that last line does make some sense. I also almost never play multiplayer games anymore, so that probably impacts my view of cosmetics, but I didn't go for them in multiplayer, either.

Blotto_Otter posted:

Computers are great for making it trivial to store, copy, and disseminate information. If your information - a picture, a textbook, a song, whatever - can be encoded digitally, computers make it extremely cheap to store and share a copy of that information. Computers are anti-scarcity when it comes to disseminating information. It's the legal system (generally in the form of copyright law) that enforces scarcity over copies of information.

This made me think about the loving textbook cartel as an example of oodles of money being made with digital licenses that is the opposite of NFT idiocy, but probably about as dumb and evil. The price of textbooks in the US is insane, and while the electronic versions are cheaper they are still ungodly expensive and the DRM is effective enough they are hard to pirate (and if history is any indicator the textbook publishers will go after piracy with a vigor that makes the MPAA or RIAA look like amateurs).

BigBadSteve
Apr 29, 2009

priznat posted:

The famous Dickasso did this recently.

https://stockhead.com.au/cryptocurrency/naughty-nft-artist-dickasso-makes-100000-in-12-days-hawking-pixel-penises/

https://melmagazine.com/en-us/story/dickasso-penis-nfts

Prurient Squid
Jul 21, 2008

Tiddy cat Buddha improving your day.

Klyith posted:

One of the things that irritates me about Steam ports of Vita games is it giving you all the DLC in advance, so you go into the first dungeon with equipment that you wouldn't have had in a virgin run. It pissed me off one time where I played for an hour or so and then realised that I could turn off all the DLC but only if I started again and that's basically what I did. Why can't developers figure out that people just want to play games the way they were originally intended to be played.

HELLOMYNAMEIS___
Dec 30, 2007

My friend wanted me to hear a song by Ava Max, and I spotted a "subtle" Coinbase puff in the intro...

Sombrerotron
Aug 1, 2004

Release my children! My hat is truly great and mighty.

Prurient Squid posted:

Why can't developers figure out that people just want to play games the way they were originally intended to be played.
My friend, have you ever heard of Nexus Mods?

Blotto_Otter
Aug 16, 2013

CaptainSarcastic posted:

This made me think about the loving textbook cartel as an example of oodles of money being made with digital licenses that is the opposite of NFT idiocy, but probably about as dumb and evil. The price of textbooks in the US is insane, and while the electronic versions are cheaper they are still ungodly expensive and the DRM is effective enough they are hard to pirate (and if history is any indicator the textbook publishers will go after piracy with a vigor that makes the MPAA or RIAA look like amateurs).

DRM is fun to compare to NFTs, because DRM actually attempts to enforce scarcity over piles of bits by blocking you from making a copy. ("Attempt", because it often doesn't actually stop you - it typically just makes it harder, not impossible.) NFTs don't actually do anything at all to restrict you from copying a pile of bits. All they do is provide a cumbersome system that says "this pile of bits is associated with this private key", but anyone is still free to make a copy of that pile of bits.

DRM attempts scarcity and doesn't perfectly achieve it, but it gets close enough to make some copyright-holders happy just by being a pain-in-the-rear end combined with an implied legal threat. NFTs don't actually attempt scarcity at all on a technical level; it's all about the illusion of scarcity, a feeling of exclusiveness engineered purely through human psychology. (Which is why DRM for textbooks is gonna be around a long time, whereas publishers aren't gonna give a poo poo about NFTs in a couple of years.)

ELTON JOHN
Feb 17, 2014
you know what isnt good for bitcoin? unrest in kazahkstan

quote:

Miners are now being confronted with frozen machines, popular unrest, and Russian troops roaming across the country. And leaving is not an option.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cowcaster
Aug 7, 2002

i disagree